[drama] Drops Of God [kami No Shizuku] Bae Yong Joon

Guest liezle

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi korean_aein..

i never know this comic version.. but after i read the resume..its sounds interesting..

BYJ with glasses..?? mm.. i can imagine that.. like his role in hotelier and winter sonata.. he looks so good with it.. hehe..

so.. how bout the other casts.. ?? is there any news bout it..??

thanx...

Wow. Something to look forward to him. I think the story will really suit him. Can't wait to see him in small screen again. Looking forward to all the updates of this drama.

here's a very interesting scanned article from a japanese magazine. i will give the details of the characters later.

[SCAN]Hallyu Fan (韓流ファン) vol. 7

Source BYJ Gallery by arayo

taken from xiaoyi's blog

hallyufan716ls3.jpg

click here for bigger version

'Drops of God' Relationship Map & Character Description

from the magainze : Hallyu Fan (韓流ファン) vol. 7

scanned by arayo/byjgallery

taken from xiaoyi's blog

translation : mariko

hallyufan716ls3qk7.jpg

Character Description [from left to right]

Mr. Roper >> Former best friend of Kanzaki Nodaka, father of Shizuku. He is homeless living in a box at a park while he has more than 10 million dollars. He will be the adviser of both brothers. He’s also a wine expert.

Kanzaki Nodaka >> Father of Shizuku. His has more than 20 million dollars asset and a wine collector.

Issei Tomine >> Is a gifted wine critic and he aims at collecting wines. He was adopted by his father before his father passes away. Together with Shizuku they received a challenge and will confront each other. His knowledge in wine is abundant. Not only is his expression excellent but also concentrated to put his life into his passion of wine.

Kanzaki Shizuku >> Is a beer salesman of Taiyo Beer. He was transferred to the newly established wine division. Though he has inherited his father's gift of wine since childhood, he opposed his great father and gets a job in the beer company. He has shown rich sensitivity and expression with the extraordinary sense of smell which was inherited from his father though he has not much knowledge about it.

Sera >> Half sister of Tomine from his father’s side. A beer commercial model at Taiyo Beer Company. She is also a gifted wined taster.

Roran >> Partner of Tomine. She has a special relationship with him. Her mother is Japanese.

Miyabi >> She’s still studying to become a sommelier but she seems not to pass the examination for sommelier. He met Shizuku in a restaurant. She is employed at Taiyo beer.

Other Characters

Saionji Maki >> Is the President of Saion Training company. She is Roran’s sister

Kiri Suzuko >> Is the lawyer of Tomine who manages Tomine's wine collection.

Fujii Shirou >> Is a Sommelier at Wine Bar Mono Ball. Adviser of Shizuku.

Honma Chosuke >> He will help Shizuku. He loves italian wine. He's working with Shizuku in the same division.

note : we're not sure of some of the names since the chinese characters are hard to translate.

Guest Tamar1973

Here's a short article about Drops of God and BYJ from our local North Bay Business Journal...

Opus One in Japanese Comic

For the next several months, another high-value vintner in Oakville, Opus One, will be building a 14,000-square-foot steel-and-concrete shop for farming the exclusive Oakville winery's 150 acres of vineyards.

Started in the late 1970s as a venture between Robert Mondavi and Baron Philippe de Rothschild, Opus One had shared vineyard operations facilities with the Mondavi winery. However, after Constellation Brands' acquisition of Robert Mondavi Corp. in 2005, Opus One has been striving to be more independent, according to Opus One spokesman Roger Asleson.

Meanwhile, the brand was among about a dozen top wines mentioned so far in a Japanese serial comic, or "manga," that has been propelling wine sales in that country and elsewhere in Asia.

The winery's 2000 vintage was noted in volume 1 of "Kami no Shizuku" ("Drops of the Gods"). About a half-million Japanese weekly read the quest of manga character Shizuku Kanzaki to travel the world to find 12 superb wines before his adopted brother inherits their late father's collection of rare wines. Wine terms, concepts and experiential descriptions have been introducing Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, the Philippines and Singapore to fine wine, prompting shortages and price increases for wines mentioned.

Asia's in-demand movie star, Bae Yong Joon of Korea, has agreed to star in a silver-screen adaptation.

Opus One has not noted an increase in sales in Japan since the mention because the country is one of the winery's three strongest markets outside of the U.S., according to Mr. Asleson. About a quarter of the winery's production is exported.

Japan has been a strong market for Opus One for eight years, and the Korean market has been growing for two years as restaurateurs and distributors have come to understand wine, according to Mr. Asleson.

Guest Tamar1973

Good morning to everyone...

Have found this article in BYJ quilt by Munn,

Source NYC Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/dining/2...amp;oref=slogin

I'm disappointed that the authors of the manga favor French wine. We make excellent wine here in California. What disappoint me even more is that this means that BYJ probably will not come to Northern California to research his role. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

Guest celena8899

i can't wait to see which character byj will choose and who the rest of the actors/actresses will play.

i think this drama would be a fresh new one to watch out for, because it is definitely different from the usual.

BYJ FIGHTING!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alcy1985

I'm disappointed that the authors of the manga favor French wine. We make excellent wine here in California. What disappoint me even more is that this means that BYJ probably will not come to Northern California to research his role. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

Hi Tamar, do you know that when I read the NYT article, and the authors mentioned that they favoured French wines, the first person I thought of was you . . . I was thinking "Tamar's going to be really disappointed". Kinda sad, eh?

Don't worry so much Tamar, maybe they will still change their mind and go to california too. As long as the the drama is not yet starting we can still hope that they might also go to your country ;)

Guest Tamar1973

Hi Tamar, do you know that when I read the NYT article, and the authors mentioned that they favoured French wines, the first person I thought of was you . . . I was thinking "Tamar's going to be really disappointed". Kinda sad, eh?

Me? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I told my hubby what the authors said about California wine. The brother made some silly comment about not being able to taste the terroir in "New World" wines (California, South America, Australia) wines. The direct quote was, "I don't feel the terroir."

When you drink wine, you're supposed to taste the fruit, not the dirt! :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: :fury: Besides it turns out that a lot of the "terroir" people taste in European wines comes from the heavy metal content (some of it far above what the US EPA considers safe and/or reasonable). Heavy Metals Found in European Wines.

Don't worry so much Tamar, maybe they will still change their mind and go to california too. As long as the the drama is not yet starting we can still hope that they might also go to your country ;)

Well it's cheaper here than in Europe! :lol::lol::lol:

the news about the drama being made into a drama in japan and to be aired in january broke out this week. when this news broke out we were all caught by surprise because it was first announced in August by KeyEast that a korean drama will be coming to us in 2009. currently, as announced by BOF, they are already in the process cast crew and in preparation for the production.

so could this possibly affect the korean version? honestly, i don't think it would. like what was written, the japanese version would only be short, 8-10 episodes and won't probably that meatier. likewise, even the fans of the japanese actor are worried about the effect of this on him since almost every j drama fanatics and k drama fanatics are already anticipating the korean version.

anyway, let me share this article with you that came out this week which was translated to us by cam on byj's quilt.

[Trans]Japan first to film "Drops of God",

is it a case of win or lose for BYJ?

Original: Finance section of S Korean Heraldm (http://www.heraldbiz.com/SITE/data/html_dir/2008/11/14/200811140246.asp)

Reporter : Seo Byeong Chi (specialized in pop culture) wp@heraldm.com

Korean to Chinese : wonchun / http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=501532323

Chinese to English : cam / quilt

Japan first to film “Drops of God”, is it a case of win or lose for BYJ?

The production of the TV drama “Drops of God” will be BYJ’s next project after “TWSSG” and Japan will be the first to film.

According to the news in Japanese Sports Hochi on the 13th, “The Drops of God” an adaptation of a popular Japanese manga, will be airing on Nihon in January. 22 year old Kazuya Kamenashi of the idol group KAT-TUN will star as the main character.

BYJ’s managing agency BOF’s parent co Keyeast Inc, which recently brought the copyright for the Korean TV production of “Drops of God”, is in the process of casting crew and production preparation.

According to the original comic writer (Yuko & Shin) Kibayashi (under the pseudonym Tadashi Agi), the sister-and-brother team at the time of creating the character Itse Tomine, there was the thought of adapting it into a TV drama in the future. So the character was specifically written with BYJ in mind.

BYJ’s agency stated that with Japan first to film and air “Drops of God”, it can only help (with the Korean version).

Director Yang Geun Hwan of BOF said “despite negative opinion, we believe that this would actually help us. We can take this opportunity to test the audience reaction to the Japanese version of the drama. With Japan filming first, it does not mean we are simply doing a remake. Our storyline will differ from their version”. [liezle : with regard to the negative opinion, i believe that Mgr Yang is referring to the opinion of the fans of both BYJ and Kazuya Kamenashi on the release of the japanese version ahead of the korean version. the fans concern is the business ethics since the korean version were announced ahead of time]

Furthermore he added that Japanese dramas are usually 8-10 episodes, where our TV drama will have at least 20 episodes. Therefore there will be more content unfolding.

The Korean version of “Drops of God” has already gained the copyright for domestic TV production. It is at the initial planning stage, casting script writer and production crew. After rewriting from the original, the new content will be increased dramatically.

Meanwhile, it has been forecast that with Japan filming first, the freshness of the drama could perhaps be diminished.

If the Korean version with BYJ as the leading role airs in Japan first, it will be a race to seize the opportunity. At least they could replace the title of the drama.

But to BYJ’s Japanese fans, if one has to compare the Japanese production vs. Korean (BYJ) production, with Japan airing it first, it could only build up momentum for the drama.

here, let me share another translation by cam which she posted on byj's quilt.

i think this is not an article but a reaction by a fan when she learned about 'drops of god' japanese version and being first to be shown than that of the korean version. btw, i like how she compared the two versions. :)

original : http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=501649381

chinese : 春之水 2008-11-14 18:18  

Chinese to English : cam / quilt

Worries about “Drops of God”

Was reading that there will be another production of “Drops of God” besides BYJ’. One is from YJ’s homeland Korea, the other from Japan where many of his fans are based. At first sight, it looks like one is surrounded, front and back.

However Director Yang from BOF does not seem to mind about this “half blooded” brother. He even stated that it is for the better. Regardless of what the reality is, in my opinion, having such thoughts can’t be easy.

Perhaps this does not constitute genuine competition between BYJ’s “Drops of God”, Nihon TV’s “Drops of God” or even the Korean wine drama ‘Terroir’. Why? By all means, they are all about wine, and stem from the same manga. The basic concept must be similar, or even identical. It is like you eat when you’re hungry. It does not matter what you eat, your appetite will not be sated if you’re full. Let’s take a look at Director Yang’s statement…

There could be two meanings to these words. Firstly, another production is like an “entrée” to BOF’s “Drops of God”. It’ll only stir up audience’s appetite and interest. It wouldn’t affect the “main course”. Given no matter how delicious the “entrée” gets, one would not let it take over and abandon the “main course”. Secondly, the chef can test customer’s reaction to the “entrée” before adding more flavor and spice to the “main course”. Adjusting the storyline and adding new ideas.

It is great to see that Director Yang is very confident about the production capability of BOF and BYJ as a sales point. He calmly highlighted their strengths and at the same time, their virtues. When “the competition” becomes part of the rules of principle, some can still uphold the ideal of “Do our best with action”.

Based on my observations, three projects with similar themes are out one after another, targeting the same markets, Japan and Korea. It is unlikely to say that there won’t be any competition, but that it is not mutually destructive.

..Omit..

Japan is a manga prolific country. Some even say that the Japanese can turn the world into a manga. There are many outstanding manga artists and many outstanding products. This project is about wine, but its influence is likely to be only temporary, as we have experienced in the past. There is a saying: “The first who dare to taste the crab would succeed”. It appears that BYJ is the first who dares to taste the crab, but the last to let others know about the taste. If that is the case, will he succeed?

Omit….

In my opinion, he will succeed.

• 1 month later...

I hope there will be a lot of anticipation for this. But I guess that would also mean more pressure and all. I don't want it to be overrated nor underrated.

Archived