Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Drama “Crash Course in Romance” | Movie “Kill Boksoon” (NETFLIX)]

Helena

does she have any upcoming kdramas? :D

hm .there was a rumour about her in a upcoming medicial drama .but there had not been much details ^^ .will update when there is any confirmation .maybe just some rumours ...

.anyway .she going to have a short holiday with her husband after the cannes festival ^^

secret sunshine received a 10 min standing ovation from the audience during it premier and among them was director Quentin Tarantino.. [that is quite indicative of how well received the movie was with the audience .normal time period of standing ovation .for movie in competition is around 5 min ...]

U1825P28T3D1570874F326DT20070526105515.jpg

nopredict200705261100390.jpg

=-

btw maybe it slip my mind .and i did not post here before there was an article written by mr x for yesasia.com in march this year . he did a great write up

Showing Her Colors: Jeon Do Yeon

http://global.yesasia.com/en/mc/-/60r4I0W2.../articleId-118/

'Secret Sunshine' Impresses at Cannes

Sunday, May 27, 2007 14:58:12

2007052703bigrc9.jpg

Film magazines have lauded the Korean film "Secret Sunshine," which is competing for the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival.

Director Lee Chang-dong's movie is considered a contender for the top prize. His female lead Jeon Do-yeon is also a candidate for the top actress award, winning praise from Reuters and a French daily.

Also in the running for the top actress award is Zia, who stars in "Breath" by another Korean director Kim Ki-duk.

The festival ends Sunday.

Reported by KBS WORLD Radio

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...;key=2007052703

May 27, 2007

'Secret Sunshine' Steals Limelight in Cannes

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia

Staff Reporter

16225gd8.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-youn, left, and actor Song Gang-ho,

stars in director Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine,"

smile brightly for the cameras at Cannes.

The 60th Cannes Film Festival closed Sunday. / Yonhap

Korean actress Jeon Do-youn is reaping critical acclaim from foreign critics, for her role in "Secret Sunshine" (Miryang) which was screened at the prestigious 60th Cannes Film Festival.

Since it was screened last week, "Secret Sunshine" has emerged as one of the leading contenders for the top prize, the Palme d'Or. Winners will be announced when the event ends on Sunday evening in France.

A New York Times article heaped praises on the film directed by Lee Chang-dong, a former culture minister.

Jeon was singled out for her depiction of a young widow who moves to her late husband's hometown. The article said Jeon gave one of the strongest female performances in the festival, hinting she may even win the best female performance award. "Jeon's portrayal of a meek soul in torment is a tour de force," the New York Times said.

Film industry journal Variety described Jeon's performance as "finely detailed." "Jeon's convinced playing, a trademark of the chameleon actress, keeps 'Sunshine' watchable but can't inject real tension and drama on its own. On screen almost the whole time, Jeon carries the picture virtually single-handedly," it said.

If Jeon wins, she will be the first Korean actress to win an award at the Cannes Film Festival. Jeon is already a popular and multi-awarded actress in Korea, but is little known overseas.

There have been a handful of Korean actresses who have won awards in international film festivals. Kang Soo-yeon won the best actress award for the film "Sibaji" at the 1987 Venice International Film Festival.

Moon So-ri also won the best new actress award for her role in "Oasis" at the 2002 Venice International Film Festival. Moon received good reviews for her role as a woman with cerebral palsy in the film, which was also directed by Lee Chang-dong.

Jeon has won several domestic acting awards for her roles in films such as "Harmonium in My Memory" and "My Mother The Mermaid." She also appeared in the hit SBS drama "Lovers in Prague" in 2005.

In 2006, Jeon received the best leading actress award at the 43rd Taejong (Grand Bell) Film Festival for her role as a HIV/AIDS-stricken waitress in and "You are My Sunshine!" directed by Park Jin-pyo.

The local film industry is expecting that should either Jeon or the film win, it will provide a great boost to local cinema, which has been sliding recently.

Aside from "Secret Sunshine," another Korean film "Breath" by director Kim Ki-duk is also vying for the Palme d'Or. There are over 20 films competing for the top prize at Cannes.

In 2004, the film "Old Boy," directed by Park Chan-wook, won the Grand Prix, the second place honor at the Cannes. It was the first Korean film to win one of the top prizes at the prestigious festival.

cathy@koreatimes.co.kr

Source: The Korea Times

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2...5/135_3612.html

lol normally i dun repost my posting in threads but ! Tonite IS DIFFERENT !! i am reading she was so emotional when she received her award * ..sob make me want to teared up abit too ...

OMG~~ YES SHE WON !!

JEON DO YEON IS BEST ACTRESS FOR CANNES 2007

the results was just annouced a few minutes ago !!!

2007052801465822923_015956_0.jpg

JDY at tonite cermony !! AHH now this is worth for me to wait up so late for the results !! >YES!!

U1584P28T3D1572811F326DT20070528021352.jpg

Thanks Shirley!Hopefully we get to see the winning moments!

I am sure this will be major news. Her home country should be proud of her!

This is a good year for her...a happy wife and now best actress!!!!

I read previously that she said she was struggling to find scripts...even with Cannes nomination for best actress.

I hope now with a WIN..she will get good scripts going to her !

here are some captures for this special moment

20070528040108.108.0.jpg

20070528040503.439.0.jpg

South Korea's Jeon wins Cannes best actress prize

CANNES, France, May 27, 2007 (AFP) - South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon, who stars in the tragic movie on death and faith, "Secret Sunshine," won the Cannes filmfest's best actress award Sunday.

The 34-year-old actress was considered a favourite for her brave performance as a grieving wife and mother in the South Korean melodrama ("Milyang" in Korean), the first picture in four years by Lee Chang-dong, a former South Korean culture minister.

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp...;story_id=40238

pic credit to daum

Guest joynara

Los Angeles Times (Kenneth Turan):

This edition of Cannes was also a good one for Asian filmmakers. Japanese director Naomi Kawase won the Grand Prize for "The Mourning Forest," and, in a considerably more popular award, Korean performer Jeon Do-yeon took the best actress prize for her tour de force starring role as a widow who faces startling difficulties in making a life for herself in "Secret Sunshine."

TIME (Richard & Mary Corliss):

This was a year for les femmes, with many films about woman isolated in their passion or misery. One of those performances, Jeon Do-yeon's in the Korean Secret Sunshine, was the favorite to take Best Actress, and it did.

New York Times (Manohla Dargis & A.O. Scott):

This year's selection was notable for its many strong female performances, though, unusually for this French film festival, most kept their clothes on. The monopoly on sexual display was held by Asia Argento, the tattooed, snaggle-toothed love goddess of Cannes 2007, who did everything from tongue-kiss a Rottweiler (Abel Ferrara's "Go Go Tales") to lick the blood from a wounded lover's chest (Catherine Breillat's "Vieille Maîtresse"). Ms. Argento won many hearts, and a fair amount of notoriety, but the best actress prize went to Jeon Do-yeon for her exquisite and ferocious performance as a grief-stricken woman in the Korean film "Secret Sunshine," directed by Lee Chang-dong.

Variety (Todd McCarthy):

But while few would dispute that the most important prize went to the right film, the remainder of the awards bore all the earmarks of compromise-necessitated give-and-take on a jury at odds with itself, so much did the selections zig-zag among the esoteric, the political and the female-driven. [...] Jeon Do-yeon, one of South Korea's best-regarded younger thesps, copped the best actress prize for her performance as a mother whose young son is kidnapped and murdered in Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine," the one award other than the Palme d'Or widely reckoned to be right on the money.

Chicago Tribune:

In the evening's grimmest surprise, Russian actor Konstantin Lavronenko won for his portrayal of his work in "The Banishment," a pretentious allegory based on a William Saroyan short story. Korean actress Joen Do-yeon won for her indelible characterization of a young widow and mother in "Secret Sunshine." In contrast to the Lavronenko win, hers was cheered by those in the Lumiere and in the adjoining festival venue, the Debussy, where the international press corps watching a closed-circuit broadcast played the role of cinematic bleacher bums.

These are the creme de la creme of the U.S. critics, so to have them won over is what I call a unanimous sweep. Not bad for her debut on the international scene. :)

2007052804291425010_060307_0.jpg

74343800.jpg

74343523.jpg

74343522.jpg

74343514.jpg

74343509.jpg

74343508.jpg

Guest Jennwpc

Congratulation :rolleyes:

This year is good for her - marriage and winning in the international film

She is a very talented actress.

Guest joynara

In Photos and Words: Cannes International Film Festival Awards

Best Leading Actress: Jeon Do-yeon in "Secret Sunshine"

The prize for Best Leading Actress was awarded by Alain Delon to South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon for her performance in Secret Sunshine de Lee Chang-dong.

Jeon Do-yeon overjoyed: "Good evening. I can't believe I'm up here. I heard that there were bevies of wonderful actresses during the Festival; I hope that I might be able to represent them today. I am truly honored, in any case, to have this Prize; I don't know how to receive it... Of course, I want to thank the Cannes Festival and the members of the Jury. I thank director Lee Chang-dong, who gave me the opportunity to play this role, and especially the actor Song Kang-ho, thanks to whom I was able to exist. [better translation would be '... Song Kang-ho, without whom the characterization of Shin-Ae would not have been complete.'] I thank all of you who appreciated this film Secret Sunshine. I will never forget it, for the rest of my life. Thank you very much!"

At the laureates' press conference, Jeon Do-yeon added this about her award: "It's the first time I've come to a foreign festival. I was very honored to be invited to a festival as big as Cannes. Naturally, I'm delighted to have received this Best Actress award. Before the ceremony, I was really tense; I did all I could to relax, saying to myself that nothing would happen. The people around me wouldn't stop talking to me about it, and I realy felt like hiding. I'd like to thank you all."

Thanks Shirley & joynara for the awesome news & pics of JDY winning the Best Actress award at Cannes, totally a deserving worthy win. CONGRATULATION JDY-ssi! hulahulagirlac5.gif

Jeon Do-yeon Wins Best Actress at Cannes

Monday, May 28, 2007 07:45:56

2007052801bigbr4.jpg

Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon has won the best actress award at the Cannes Film Festival for her role as a grieving mother and wife in "Secret Sunshine."

Jeon played a piano instructor in the film who struggles to forgive the killer of her son.

The 34-year-old actress said she will never forget everyone at Cannes who welcomed the film and thanked former South Korean culture minister and director of the film, Lee Chang-dong, and her costar in the film, actor Song Kang-ho.

It is the first time for a South Korean actress to win an international film award since Kang Soo-yeon won best actress at the Venice Film Festival 20 years ago.

"Secret Sunshine," a melodrama about death and faith, was one of the 22 films competing for the prize at the French film festival.

Romanian director Cristian Mungiu won the Cannes Film Festival's top prize, the Golden Palm, with "Four Months, Three Weeks and Two Days," a harrowing portrait of an illegal abortion in Communist-era Romania.

Reported by KBS WORLD Radio

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...;key=2007052801

May 28, 2007

Jeon Do-yeon Wins Best Actress at Cannes

20070528001300bw3.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon smiles on Sunday as she poses

during a photocall after winning the Best Actress award

for her role in Lee Chang-Dong's film 'Secret Sunshine'

at the 60th Cannes Film Festival at the Festival Palace in Cannes,

southern France./AFP

Jeon Do-yeon won the Best Actress award at the 60th Cannes Film Festival, which ended on Sunday, for her role in Lee Chang-song’s “Secret Sunshine.” Jeon is the first Korean and second Asian actress to win the award for best actress at the prestigious international film festival. Maggie Cheung, who was on the jury this year, won in 2004 with “Clean.” Director Lee served as a culture minister from 2003 to 2004.

When her name was announced, the Korean actress hurried on stage and greeted her audience in French. She said, “I can’t believe it. There are fabulous actresses and movies here. I don’t know if I deserve this award to represent them.” She credited Lee and Song Kang-ho, who stars opposite her, saying the director “helped me make an impossible thing possible. Song Kang-ho’s acting supplemented my role and made it look perfect. I’d like to thank him.” At this point, Song stood up and waved toward Jeon on the stage, inviting a round of warm applause. The 34-year-old actress wrapped up her comment by saying, “I will remember tonight forever. Thank you.”

Since Kang Soo-yeon won best actress at the Venice Film Festival in 1987 for her role in “Surrogate Womb”, it has taken a Korean actress 20 years to achieve a Grand Slam of the world’s three prestigious film festivals - Cannes, Venice and Berlin. Moon-So-ri won Best New Performer at Venice for her role in the film “Oasis”, which is produced by Lee Chang-dong.

20070528001301fs5.jpg

A poster for "Secret Sunshine"

Many outstanding actresses competed at this year’s Cannes, including Romanian Anamaria Marinca in “4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days” and Russia’s Galina Vishnevskaya with “Alexandra.” “It’s a monumental achievement for an Asian actress to win the Best Actress award at Cannes,” said Pusan International Film Festival director Kim Dong-ho after attending the award ceremony. “Maggie Cheung won the award with a movie directed by a French director, and she speaks English in the movie. But Jeon has won the award with a Korean movie in which she speaks her mother tongue.”

Jeon’s achievement suggests the global film industry is paying attention not only to Korean movies but finally to Korean actors. Since 2000, Korean directors Im Kwon-taek (with “Chihwaseon” in 2002), Lee Chang-dong (with “Oasis” in 2002), Park Chan-wook (with “Old Boy” in 2004) and Kim Ki-duk (with “Samaria” and “3-Iron” in 2004) have won best director and the Grand Jury Prize at the Cannes, Venice and Berlin film festivals, but no Korean actors won the best actor award before Jeon.

The grand prix Palme d'Or went to Romanian director Cristian Mungiu for “4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days”, a movie about abortion under the Ceausescu regime.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0705280013.html

05-28-2007 06:33

Jeon Do-yeon Wins Best Actress Award at Cannes

South Korean actress Jeon Do-youn won the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival in France on Sunday, becoming the second from her country to win top acting award at a major international competition.

Jeon, 34, was considered a favorite from early on, gaining acclaim for her performance in "Secret Sunshine," called "Milyang" in Korean. She plays a mother who trying to forgive a murderer who kills her son.

Lee Chang-dong, former South Korean culture minister, directed the film, his first piece since returning to the movie industry and the fourth in his directing career. Another Korean actress Moon So-ri won the Marcello Mastroianni Award as best newcomer at the 2002 Venice Film Festival for her role in "Oasis" `directed by Lee.

This is the first time that a Korean actress has ever grabbed the best award in one of the three major international film festivals since Kang Soo-yon won the Best Actress Award for her role in "the Surrogate Womb" at the Venice Film Festival in 1987. "The Surrogate Womb," called "Ssibaji" in Korean was produced by veteran director Lim Kwon-taek.

Cannes, Venice and Berlin are world's three major film festivals.

In the film, "Secret Sunshine," Jeon is quite remarkable as the stricken mother who turns to happy-clappy Protestantism in her misery, becomes deeply religious and decides to visit the now-imprisoned murderer to forgive him.

The killer thanks her but says he too has become close to God, who has already forgiven him. This sends the mother into a deep depression akin almost to madness.

Jeon's panic when her little boy is kidnapped, her disbelief that he can have been mercilessly killed and her fury when her forgiveness seems futile are portrayed with a simple and devastating power. And she is well supported by Song Kang-ho, South Korea's leading star, as the mild-mannered man who falls for her and tries to help.

The film has several different levels and is an almost Bressonian study in human suffering and its consequences. Not many others in the competition can measure up to it.

Best actor was Konstantin Lavronenko, who played the male lead in Russian film maker Andrei Zvyagintsev's "The Banishment," another gloomy film that features an abortion.

Cristian Mungiu's "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days,'' a grim and gritty tale about a young woman seeking an illegal abortion in the final days of Romania's Communist dictatorship, won the Palme d'Or prize for best picture.

The award makes it a double triumph in Cannes for Romania. Romanian director Cristian Nemescu, who was killed in an automobile accident in August 2006, was posthumously awarded the top prize in the Une Certain Regard section of the festival for his film "California Dreamin'".

At the post awards press conference, winning director Mungiu said that the Palme d'Or was "so much more important than the Oscars. It says we are real filmmakers."

"Mogari no Mori'', or "The Mourning Forest'', directed by Naomi Kawase of Japan, won the runner-up Grand Prix award. This poignant film tells the story of a careworker and a retirement home resident who help each other come to terms with past grief after becoming stranded in a remote forest.

Source: The Korea Times

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2...5/141_3643.html

Guest yoonah

YAYAYAY!!!! I'm so happy for her! And I'm proud of be a fan of such a great actress! :) Now to update her profile on the first post.... :)