The Banquet 夜宴》 (2006)

Guest jacinda

Guest jacinda
Ge You, Zhang Ziyi, Daniel Wu, and Zhou Xun
I made a thread for this before but it disappeared. This is a highly-anticipated movie from popular mainland director Feng Xiao Gang (He had a cameo in Kung Fu Hustle as the Crocodile gang boss..."What, you've never seen such a good-looking mob boss before?"). Beside's The City of Golden armor, this is the film I'm most looking forward to this coming year. Official Website Teaser Trailer on YouTube Plot Summary from Monkeypeaches (It's based loosely on Hamlet): In a falling empire, the Emperor, the Empress, the Crown Prince, the Princess, the Minister and the General all have their own quests for the ultimate power. The Empress set up a secret coalition with the Princess and the Minister in attempt to take the throne for the Crown Prince, but her real goal is to take the power for herself, and the Crown Prince wants to use the Empress' plan for his own quest for the throne. The conflicts finally erupt at a night banquet, at which the Empress starts executing her plan of killing the Emperor and the Crown Prince takes the opportunity to finish off his own enemies... Cast Daniel WU - The Crown Prince ZHANG Ziyi -The Empress GE You - The Emperor ZHOU Xun - The Minister's Daughter HUANG Xiaoming - The Minister's Son (Whoo! He's hot!) MA Jingwu - The Minister Teaser Posters: 060105am.jpgU1343P28T3D1047706F326DT20060413075.jpgCharacter Posters: U105P28T3D1062732F326DT200604241237.jpgU105P28T3D1062733F326DT200604241238.jpgU105P28T3D1062734F326DT200604241240.jpgU105P28T3D1062735F326DT200604241241.jpgU105P28T3D1062737F326DT200604241241.jpgU105P28T3D1062738F326DT200604241243.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest precious4e

WOW!! this looks awesome.. i'm a big fan of Daniel Wu though i can live without Zhang Ziyi..

i love these Chinese period movies.. i gotta see this!!

Guest chowcow

I love Daniel Wu in anything and everything though his Cantonese bothers me but who am I to complain? He can be mute and I'd love him. Storyline sounds interesting but my faith in the HK movie industry has diminished throughout the years so I don't hold high hopes though I'm still very much excited. Zhou Xun is a good actress - I loved Perhaps Love ... she reminds me of Shin Minah sometimes ... just sometimes - like when at an angle where her face isn't pointy and her dimples show! =P

Guest jacinda

Storyline sounds interesting but my faith in the HK movie industry has diminished throughout the years so I don't hold high hopes though I'm still very much excited

Zhou Xun is a good actress - I loved Perhaps Love ... she reminds me of Shin Minah sometimes ... just sometimes - like when at an angle where her face isn't pointy and her dimples show! =P

This is a mainland production, not a HK one, so I wouldn't worry. Mainland movies, especially types like these, like Hero and House of Flying Daggers usually are pretty good.

Daniel Wu is the oddball in the group, the only HK actor, the rest are mainland. But I guess they got him so they could market this over there.

I love the cast. Ge You, Zhang Ziyi, and Zhou Xun are all really good actors, more so GY and ZX though...and Huang Xiaoming is pretty enough to make up for any flaws in acting.

Guest tian`tian

Nice! Looking forward to it despite ZZY being in it. At least she can't be a wooden character in this one. Hopefully her acting wows me. For once...

Guest oceanic

Wow

Looks like another lavish production.

I hope it's not another "scenery" based film.

*yawn* so many of these lately.

Is it the trend now?

Forget the story... let's go for the sceneries/CGIs instead ?

I really love Perhaps Love.

It was better than expected and all the cast did great.

The cast here looks impressive... apart from 2 - Daniel Wu/Zhang ZiYi. <_<

:lol: Not that I have anything against them personally, I just dont think Daniel, esp would mould into the "ancient" setting.

Besides, him and Zhang ZiYi just hasnt got the acting skills.

But, both just happen to be the darlings of the media, for whatever hidden reason.

:sweatingbullets: Dont hate me just yet.

They might prove me wrong... but i really doubt it

Might just d/l it when it's out and pass some more judgement then. :P

Guest Access DENIED

^I agree with you on about these lavish productions.

Zhang ziyi is starring in the same role as usual. I want to see her in a romantic comedy for once or a modern drama movie.

Usually when there are excessive action scenes and CGIs, they forget about the story. As long as they believe it looks cool, they don't really care about the story.

I will watch this because the teaser looked interesting..

Guest jacinda

Wow

Looks like another lavish production.

I hope it's not another "scenery" based film.

*yawn* so many of these lately.

Is it the trend now?

Forget the story... let's go for the sceneries/CGIs instead ?

You guys are missing something important here: the director. Zhang Yimou (director of Hero and House of FLying Daggers) has always been very talented in cinematography, and weaker in story, though when he pulls off a good story, dang does he pull it off like To Live.

Feng Xiaogang, the director of this movie is VERY good at telling a story. See A World Without Thieves. He can pull off anything. He's awesome. So I have faith that he'll do the story justice. He's got a very good sense of timing etc.

Guest blacksheep

I think I like Zhang Zi yi the most when she played in "Road Home" because she looked very pretty.Anyway I 'am still like her.

Guest jacinda

Besides, him and Zhang Ziyi just hasnt got the acting skills.

But, both just happen to be the darlings of the media, for whatever hidden reason.

Not sure exactly what people have against Zhang Ziyi. The only movie where I can think of where her acting was really bad was Memoirs of a Geisha because she just can't emote and speak English at the same time. The other performances of hers have all been rather good, definitely better than the majority of Asian actresses today.

She was good in the Road Home, effective in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and absolutely great in 2046 where it was very nuanced.

As for Daniel Wu...I never thought his acting was that bad. I only saw him in Beyond our Ken, but he made that one-dimensional character very believable.

Archived