The Banquet 夜宴》 (2006)

Guest jacinda

Guest jacinda

Huang Xiao Ming pics...guh...the hotness. Yeah...this is the reason why I really want to see the movie. I'm so glad he's not sporting a beard for the entire movie.

U105P28T3D1078888F326DT20060511184918.jpg

U105P28T3D1078884F326DT20060511184841.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I like the most about this movie is the way they designed the set and the use of color. ( Actually it's all black and a little red...but I like the contrast :) )

The set design is so cool...especially the bamboo theater.

The style is so simple, peaceful and feels more Japanese than Chinese.

I also like the dark mood of the movie.

ZZY is so beautiful at the beginning...Daniel Wu is cool too.

I love their beautiful "dance" scene...that was my favorite scene :)

bscap003av4.jpg

bscap008cn7.jpg

bscap000ao7.jpg

bscap000vw5.jpg

bscap005kw9.jpg

bscap017ej6.jpg

bscap017ma7.jpg

bscap057ac9.jpg

bscap059qm6.jpg

bscap085jm2.jpg

bscap092ff3.jpg

bscap110yk6.jpg

bscap114yu9.jpg

bscap219np0.jpg

bscap236wt2.jpg

bscap246xm8.jpg

Besides all the visual treats...the story is too depressing...a real tragedy in every sense.

It's not the best movie but it's one of those "better" movies out there.

Guest huangmeixi

The thing I like the most about this movie is the way they designed the set and the use of color. ( Actually it's all black and a little red...but I like the contrast :) )

The set design is so cool...especially the bamboo theater.

The style is so simple, peaceful and feels more Japanese than Chinese.

I also like the dark mood of the movie.

ZZY is so beautiful at the beginning...Daniel Wu is cool too.

I love their beautiful "dance" scene...that was my favorite scene :)

Cool, I didn't know that there was a thread for this. Hoping to get a copy soon. What do you mean, it's more Japanese? If anything China had these elements first, right?

Feng Xiaogang isn't really known for his set design and stuff so I'm glad he got that right.

Guest Rainie

ZZY looks very sickly in those pics...and what happened to her eyebrows?

Huang Xiao Ming is hot...I want to watch this because he's in it...lol

Finally watched this movie. A simple storyline.... boils down to quest for power.

I like the effects tho. Impressive, esp. the fight at the bamboo theatre.

I do find the killing quite gruesome.

esp. when the empress (zzy) stab the general neck, right tru, without even flinching! ouch!

Guest xingjing

I want to watch this movie... *sigh* I think this is the movie that's competing with the other one. This one is directed by Feng Xiaogang, right? I think Zhang Yimou is doing another one and they're basically just competing against each other.

LOL, I think I've taken a liking to Huang Xiaoming. He's so talented, really.

Want to watch this! ^^

Cool, I didn't know that there was a thread for this. Hoping to get a copy soon. What do you mean, it's more Japanese? If anything China had these elements first, right?

Feng Xiaogang isn't really known for his set design and stuff so I'm glad he got that right.

The set design feels Japanese...but I love it.

It's has a Zen-like feel to it.

Everything is clean, simple yet very beautiful.

To me...the style of the set design has heavy Japanse influence.

Even the royal palace looks nothing like a chinese setting. It's a lot more dark, cold but clean and stylish...hehe...

I wached many many chinese movies but was never this impressed about the set design.

They used simple elements like wood, stones...feels so calm.

I think the surrounding is just gorgeous...hehe....even the stone bed where Daniel spent a lot of time there...was so beautiful.

This movie is a Chinese interpretation of Shakespeare's stories.

It's a good movie, time went by really fast...suddenly it ended....hehe...makes you want to see more :)

Here are some pictures of the set design...

bscap002nv3.jpg

bscap035os6.jpg

bscap058lx9.jpg

bscap079py1.jpg

bscap094th9.jpg

bscap115gv7.jpg

There are some Western influenced set also...

bscap137eu2.jpg

bscap153uo9.jpg

bscap159ts7.jpg

bscap172ti8.jpg

bscap177sc9.jpg

bscap184lk1.jpg

bscap209ab3.jpg

2 bonus pictures...hehe...

bscap214pu9.jpg

bscap224xs5.jpg

Guest Metamorphosis

i want to see this

is it show in the western movie theaters? probably not right?

well, i'm downloaded the movie twice and both times turn out to be bad quality so i delete them both without watching it

i'm downloading it again, hope it's high quality this time

Not sure exactly what people have against Zhang Ziyi. The only movie where I can think of where her acting was really bad was Memoirs of a Geisha because she just can't emote and speak English at the same time. The other performances of hers have all been rather good, definitely better than the majority of Asian actresses today.

it's just that she's in pretty much every one of these movies (i found most of the ones i saw crappy) it's a bit annoying. there ARE other mainland actresses who can act too

plus i don't think her acting's all that great :ph34r:

Guest luvelyasian

is there a clubbox for this movie with english subs? or without subs is fine also.. thanks :)

i love zhang ziyi and the movie looks gorgeous

Guest The Fey

I don't really mind ZZY, I think she looks wonderful in period clothes but.. does she really have to be in EVERYTHING!? >_<

I'm getting a little bit tired of her face...

I think with ZZY's name attatched to this movie...it really helps the movie...not only the investors are willing to invest more money...they can export the movie to more countries.

ZZY might not have many fans in her own country but the Western world embraced her.

She's definitely beautiful and talented. She brought lots of attentions to the movies she starred in.

The success of her movies has to do with great directors, storylines and everything else but her contribution is not small. I wish her continued success.

Guest el dia

is there a clubbox for this movie with english subs? or without subs is fine also.. thanks :)

i love zhang ziyi and the movie looks gorgeous

you can get it from my clubbox. it is DVDscr (chinese and english subbed).

Guest huangmeixi

it's just that she's in pretty much every one of these movies (i found most of the ones i saw crappy) it's a bit annoying. there ARE other mainland actresses who can act too

plus i don't think her acting's all that great :ph34r:

Yeah, I agree. ZZY is okay, but there are so many more mainland actresses that are better at acting and prettier to boot and she's just taking roles away from them.

Anyways, I did end up watching this, and it was good overall and very beautiful.

I was suprised at how beautiful it was because Feng Xiaogang doesn't really focus on cinematography usually, and I thought he wouldn't be able to deliver on the aesthetic component but he did.

It was a bit depressing though, and I felt they could have emoted more, but oh well.

Loved the song btw. I want a copy of the soundtrack.

lol we was just studying hamlet in english class, up to act 3, and when i watched this movie i was like hmm... and then my mom said it is based on it i was like :blink: lol totally ruined the hamlet ending for me :sweatingbullets:

lol i thought ZZY was daniel's mother like in hamlet XD;; but they were actually lovers...

haha i was surprised to see young gou from condor heros~ he looks so much betta without the beard...

**spoiler**

so who killed her at the end? i hate those typical chinese abstract endings... i was like is it the old hamlet's ghost? :lol: but i guess its just another member of the whole imperial place who wants to take over the throne, and the whole cycle begins again....

Finally watched this movie. A simple storyline.... boils down to quest for power.

I like the effects tho. Impressive, esp. the fight at the bamboo theatre.

I do find the killing quite gruesome.

esp. when the empress (zzy) stab the general neck, right tru, without even flinching! ouch!

yeah, i think the killing scenes were too much, and the part where u mentioned in your spoiler, gosh i thought it was really professional but bizarre >.<" ... and what happened to daniel's VOICE? did they use another person's voice or did they use their studio-effects-thingy-gadgets to make his voice deeper??

Guest losborrachos

yeah, the movie was on the previews when i was in singapore (oh abt 6 wks ago) and i was cursing the world since i was leaving soon and the film'll probably reach the us in abt 6 yrs...

it's not getting super reviews everywhere but from what i see, art direction is good (like a major influence on my decision to see a movie) and even if it's not, i'll still see it just for the score (TAN DUN is so kickass!) i'm not really familiar with feng's work so i'm also curious how she will handle such a classic storylie and a star-studded cast...

so i'm waiting for the dvdrip here...

Archived