The Banquet 夜宴》 (2006)

Guest jacinda

Guest tian`tian

Not sure exactly what people have against Zhang Ziyi. The only movie where I can think of where her acting was really bad was Memoirs of a Geisha because she just can't emote and speak English at the same time. The other performances of hers have all been rather good, definitely better than the majority of Asian actresses today.

She was good in the Road Home, effective in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and absolutely great in 2046 where it was very nuanced.

As for Daniel Wu...I never thought his acting was that bad. I only saw him in Beyond our Ken, but he made that one-dimensional character very believable.

I thought her performance in CTHD was terrible. Wooden. Same with Hero. It just wasn't believable. Then HoFD same thing. Wooden. Very little improvement.

I actually thought she did a little better in Memoirs and her poor English helped her to seem more "innocent."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sushimi

I love Daniel Wu in anything and everything though his Cantonese bothers me but who am I to complain? He can be mute and I'd love him. Storyline sounds interesting but my faith in the HK movie industry has diminished throughout the years so I don't hold high hopes though I'm still very much excited. Zhou Xun is a good actress - I loved Perhaps Love ... she reminds me of Shin Minah sometimes ... just sometimes - like when at an angle where her face isn't pointy and her dimples show! =P

Yes, i agree with you, Zhou Xun played in beautiful movies... I liked "Suzhou river" and the last that I saw was "A pinwheel without wind" : this story is wonderful and sad.... Is it really a good movie "The banquet"?

Not sure exactly what people have against Zhang Ziyi. The only movie where I can think of where her acting was really bad was Memoirs of a Geisha because she just can't emote and speak English at the same time. The other performances of hers have all been rather good, definitely better than the majority of Asian actresses today.

She was good in the Road Home, effective in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and absolutely great in 2046 where it was very nuanced.

As for Daniel Wu...I never thought his acting was that bad. I only saw him in Beyond our Ken, but he made that one-dimensional character very believable.

I think a lot of people dislike the roles she chooses to play. My friends are always telling me she chooses the same roles of the annoying slutty girl.

Personally I think she is a decent actress, she's not good but she's not bad either. The only movie where her acting was really horrible was in memoirs, but I think that movie was just bad acting-wise overall. IMO only gong li's acting was good.

Guest sushimi

I liked Zhang Ziyi and Zhou Xun.... Yes, I agree with you, Gong Li was so good... I saw her in many anothers roles but this time she played someone nasty, but she did it very well... She's so beautiful too.... :)

"The Road Home" disappointed me... It was so long.....

Guest jacinda

Is it really a good movie "The banquet"?

Um, well the movie isn't actually being released until September 2006 so it's quite a while before anyone will know. But Fen Xiaogang's the director, and Ge You is the lead so I have faith. But his movies are getting sooo dark. I liked his comedies.

I actually don't think the cinematography will be great in this, because that's not what Feng Xiaogang is known for, but hopefully it will be.

I think a lot of people dislike the roles she chooses to play. My friends are always telling me she chooses the same roles of the annoying slutty girl.

Personally I think she is a decent actress, she's not good but she's not bad either. The only movie where her acting was really horrible was in memoirs, but I think that movie was just bad acting-wise overall. IMO only gong li's acting was good.

Well, I think she chooses those roles because of the directors, rather than the actual script. She's worked with Zhang Yimou, Ang Lee, Wong Kar Wai, and now Feng Xiaogang...all the really great Chinese directors.

It's funny you mention Gong Li, who is, yes, one of the great, great actresses of our time in my opinion because she was supposed to have Zhang Ziyi's role in here, but her schedule conflicted. Then they passed the script to Ziyi and she snatched it up.

Guest meow1203

I'm looking very forward to this movie when I saw Wong Xiao Ming is in it.....hohoho! :blush:

Guest precious4e

HAH! that's what I always think. I haven't liked ZZY every since Crouching Tiger. She just doesnt appeal to me.

It's funny you mention Gong Li, who is, yes, one of the great, great actresses of our time in my opinion because she was supposed to have Zhang Ziyi's role in here, but her schedule conflicted. Then they passed the script to Ziyi and she snatched it up.

Gong Li on the other hand I LOVE. I've been watching her movies since I was a little.

I would have loved it if Gong Li was in this movie!

Guest jacinda

Oh if only Gong Li took the role~~~

I know!! She could have worked with Ge You again. :tears: They were so beautiful together in To Live. My favorite movie ever. *Sigh* I'll settle. The only reason I'm glad that it's ZZY over Gong Li is because now American companies will probably show this over here.

I'm looking very forward to this movie when I saw Wong Xiao Ming is in it.....hohoho! :blush:

Huang Xiao Ming? Yeah, he is sooo hot. Hotter than Daniel even.

Here are some more pics, only of Zhou Xun though. I have no idea why they only put of pics of just her.

U105P28T3D1066025F326DT20060426183246.JPG

U105P28T3D1066022F326DT20060426183148.JPG

More here:

http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/p/2006-04-26/18241066013.html

Guest reiko

i think FENG Xiaogang is the best chinese director, so i'm looking forward to this film because of him

Guest JudY-JudY

WOW, sounds confusing! I'll probably have to watch it like eight more times to get the story line ha-ha! But looks good!

Guest precious4e

^ the pics look really nice. i've said this before, but i love period dramas! a big reason is probably because of the costumes!

Guest jacinda

Zhou Xun and Angela Zhang always look related to me.

Heh, actually, I thought Zhou Xun was the lead actress in bump off lover for a while. I was like, what's she doing in a Taiwanese series?

Anyway an update:

Daniel Wu pics are now posted on the site. I'm a little disappointed at the lack of color or design in their costumes. And it kind of freaks me out. I don't think this movie is going to be that kind of eye candy. It had better have a good story.

U105P28T3D1075606F326DT20060509101905.jpg

U105P28T3D1075595F326DT20060509101619.jpg

U105P28T3D1075608F326DT20060509101931.jpg

More here: http://ent.sina.com.cn/d/p/2006-05-09/10191075608.html

Guest jacinda

Er, sorry Linda. :sweatingbullets: I think I may have jumped the gun on making this thread, because the movie is in post-production right now, and it's not coming out until September. But the posters were so pretty. I couldn't resist.

Guest Jamieâ„¢

cool.

I'm starting to dislike all these big-budget period pieces that have a bunch of wacky martial arts and pretty scenery.. even 'Hero' (which was considered tremendous) didn't appeal to me.

I do like the director though. World Without Theives was a good movie.

Daniel Wu is a hottie, ZZY is .. alright (I'm not a fan), and I adore Zhou Xun, she has this unique look to her imo. and that other guy.. I rmb watching this other movie that he was in (which was also by this director, Feng Xiao Gang).. I think it was called 'Bu Jian Bu Shan' (?), anyways he's a good actor.

I'm probably going to watch this though haha

^-- I don't know, personally I really like these periodic movies. Even if the story is hard to understand or isn't really there, the soundtrack and the beautiful scenery is enough for me. I also don't find the martial arts wacky at all, I find them artistically appealing, and I don't know--I think wu xia is cool since it was introduced to me at a young age (my dad's crazy about his wu xia novels). I think it just all comes down to preferences.

But I haven't really found a susbstanceless movie yet. Imo CTHD, HERO, HOFD were all above average films.

- - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -

I don't think Daniel Wu matches the periodic film style haha.

Er, sorry Linda. :sweatingbullets: I think I may have jumped the gun on making this thread, because the movie is in post-production right now, and it's not coming out until September. But the posters were so pretty. I couldn't resist.

Awwwwwwww man..... I thought that it was out or is going to come out sometime this or next month or even this summer... but September (fall) holly crap that is a very very long time to wait... but I guess all I can do is wait...

thanks anyway girl.... for making me see this movie and Im going to wait for it to come out...

Guest jacinda

cool.

I'm starting to dislike all these big-budget period pieces that have a bunch of wacky martial arts and pretty scenery.. even 'Hero' (which was considered tremendous) didn't appeal to me.

I do like the director though. World Without Theives was a good movie.

Daniel Wu is a hottie, ZZY is .. alright (I'm not a fan), and I adore Zhou Xun, she has this unique look to her imo. and that other guy.. I rmb watching this other movie that he was in (which was also by this director, Feng Xiao Gang).. I think it was called 'Bu Jian Bu Shan' (?), anyways he's a good actor.

I'm probably going to watch this though haha

You mean Ge You? Lol, he's in EVERY Feng Xiaogang film, including A World Without Thieves.

Awwwwwwww man..... I thought that it was out or is going to come out sometime this or next month or even this summer... but September (fall) holly crap that is a very very long time to wait... but I guess all I can do is wait...

thanks anyway girl.... for making me see this movie and Im going to wait for it to come out...

Sorry. :sweatingbullets: At least there's all those summer "blockbusters" to tide you over.

Archived