The Banquet 夜宴》 (2006)

Guest jacinda

Guest precious4e

I saw the movie during my past break.

So it's a chinese version of Hamlet right?

LoL the scenery was nice and I loved the costumes but the story wasn't all that great. I rather have just read Hamlet again.

And once again, I didn't like the character Zhang Zi Yi played.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest clueless_pig

had to reply to zhang ziyi's nude scenes: I am POSITIVE that i read an article about how she used a substitue actress for this scene, so my respect goes out to her in that she didn't sell out on herself. If people still chooses to believe that she did those scenes herself, well, i don't know how else to convince you. But i doubt a professional actress (well, an actress that many investors set eye upon) will not likely to expose herself in a movie.

Guest xSHADOW

From reading what most of you guys have said, this movie doesn't sound so exciting =/... Man I feel bad for my friend now, she bought this thinking it was hella good -__-. I'd watch it for Daniel Wu though, he's smoking hot :D...

• 2 months later...
Guest clover_love

well i thought the movie was pretty good and i understood the plotline well...except for some disagreeable acting on some parts

but all in all yah it was <333 siigh DANIEL WU OMG so hot and i liked him better with the minister's daughter than the empress

in the end i think Wuluan kills the Empress -__- serves her rite

Guest Truelover

I am POSITIVE that i read an article about how she used a substitue actress for this scene

Hello Clueless,

Could you post the link of this article debating about the role substitution in The banquet ?

I'm very interested about that, for my personal understanding.

Have a nice day,

:)

Kate

Guest witchyangelkk

Watched this a few days ago... and weirdly enough, i quite enjoyed it ^^ Mainly because of the GREAT effects and graphics

had to reply to zhang ziyi's nude scenes: I am POSITIVE that i read an article about how she used a substitue actress for this scene, so my respect goes out to her in that she didn't sell out on herself. If people still chooses to believe that she did those scenes herself, well, i don't know how else to convince you. But i doubt a professional actress (well, an actress that many investors set eye upon) will not likely to expose herself in a movie.

Yeah.. I heard about her nude double as well... =P I think i read it somewhere off the internet when i was looking for hu killed ZZY.. =P

well i thought the movie was pretty good and i understood the plotline well...except for some disagreeable acting on some parts

but all in all yah it was <333 siigh DANIEL WU OMG so hot and i liked him better with the minister's daughter than the empress

in the end i think Wuluan kills the Empress -__- serves her rite

Well.. apparantly there are two main theories in who killed ZZY:

(Highlight it if you want to know ....)

1. Wuluan => He didnt really die and killed ZZY because she killed his father. (Apparantly when he sees the images on the handerkercheif.. the one that is poisoning the emperor has a female figure =P)... It's also his sword as well... which also makes it pretty obvious...

What i dont get about this theory.. is WHY he would kill her..considering when she was about to be killed.. he blocked the sword and got stabbed instead... =P

2. The Empresses Maid, Ling ( I know WTH?) => Apparantly shes the one who knew the empress the best.. And is more likely the one who dropped the handkerchief to WuLuan to see... =P I cant believe such a minor character would play such a big role... but according to this article its true...

Chinese article: http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2006-09-21/09251256915.html

Hope someone can translate it fully.. coz my chinese isnt that great =P

S2 HaiKi

Guest ooyuioo

I just watched this movie and overall I liked it. At least better than 'curse of the golden flowers'...

Basically another hamlet movie. Nice scenery and interior decor.

Everyone dislikes ZZY? I think she's good, but for this role, she seems to be still young and too cute. Li Gong played a similar role in 'curse of..' and she was a better fit.

Well.. apparantly there are two main theories in who killed ZZY:

(Highlight it if you want to know ....)

1. Wuluan => He didnt really die and killed ZZY because she killed his father. (Apparantly when he sees the images on the handerkercheif.. the one that is poisoning the emperor has a female figure =P)... It's also his sword as well... which also makes it pretty obvious...

What i dont get about this theory.. is WHY he would kill her..considering when she was about to be killed.. he blocked the sword and got stabbed instead... =P

2. The Empresses Maid, Ling ( I know WTH?) => Apparantly shes the one who knew the empress the best.. And is more likely the one who dropped the handkerchief to WuLuan to see... =P I cant believe such a minor character would play such a big role... but according to this article its true...

Chinese article: http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2006-09-21/09251256915.html

Hope someone can translate it fully.. coz my chinese isnt that great =P

I buy the second theory. The original article says...

The girl who played Ling wrote in a blog that she was the assasin. The director cut out some of the lines and scenes that originally gave hints. Ling actually worked for the minister. Because both his children were killed by ZZY and he was relegated off the palace, she took revenge on his behalf.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest samara

my view is that if you are going to be a 'professional' and dedicated actress - you either do all the scenes (maybe not all the stunt work bc thats dangerous) yourself or you dont take up the role at all bc ur putting ur name to the role and its called integrity.

If u get ppl to do ur substitute nude scenes - it takes away from your dedication to the role - if its going to be half-hearted, that's fine, but that's not what makes (in my opinion) a 'great' actress. Its called picking the 'right' roles which has tasteful nudity (other than just to sell tickets).

I am sorry - i dont understand how every form of nudity is considered 'selling out' (i swear - this seems like ur coming from an Asian perception of nudity - that its shameless and dirty) but nudity (depending on the way it is depicted) can be an art-form and beautiful - we were born naked/nude and we are not selling out or anything.

I think ur deceiving ppl if u play a role and get someone else to play part of it - and take their credit (and they take a small pay cheque in return)

• 3 months later...
Guest theanonymousafro

This was interesting but a bit erratic. I didn't realize at first it was supposed to be based on Shakespeare.

Archived