[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest valley girl

Word. Whenever I see females in drama clinging on to a man who's disinterested/uninterested in her instead of trying to get over him and/or find a man who'd appreciate her better, I get really, really frustrated.

So it seems like Lee Min-ho was teasing Kim Bum, who's the youngest of them all at 19, to basically be a good underling to his senior (1), since Lee Min-ho is older by age. So Kim Bum laughingly responds, "If you're ordering me [to do it] since I'm the youngest...how long has it been since you've worked, hyung? How long has it been since hyung has debuted?" Lee Min-ho playfully hits Kim Bum's shoulder, forced to conceed to Kim Bum's rebuttal, makes a sound that acknowledges that he has been pwned (2); the other F4 actors laugh. The woman commentating the video asks, "Is Kim Bum sunbae (translation: senior) by acting/as an actor?" Lee Min-ho confirms it: "Yes, that's right. Bum has the most [acting] experience." (3)

Gu Hye-Sun comes to join the F4, and the woman who's commentating asks, "Is there anything that feels weird [when you're doing this?]" (or something like that). Gu Hye-Sun points to all of the F4 and says, "Little by little, when we all gather together, it feels weird/strange." The boys seem impressed with her answer, all of them exclaim: "Uwaaaa (translation: wow)..." Lee Min-ho makes a comment about how well Gu Hye-Sun was able to dodge the reporter's question.

Notes

(1) And you can imagine what this would require, i.e. doing menial tasks

(2) It sounds like "Shhhh...", but with an accent/emphasis/crescendo

(3) By acting experience, I think they're measuring it not by quantity, but by how big their roles have been.

keep posting thanks for Explanation, i dunno that kimbum debuted earlier than minho, anyway their age like stairs one from 85, kim joon, 86 kim hyun joon, 87 lee min ho then 89 kimbum

Guest flower pot

Sharing some pictures of my beloved Hyun Joong as Ji Hoo...

From Incheon International Airport to Venetian Macau... he has retained the hotness of Rui all throughout...

Darn! Jandi is a pretty lucky girl... (i think Minho is hot too...)

Offcam/BTS Joongie pics at the Venetian Macau

3416ea36ca974d2c0b55a93yc7.jpg

7721823dd788e51dbba1673kf0.jpg

435512241b4ee92ec995598ep5.jpg

Guest lovenlight

Word. Whenever I see females in drama clinging on to a man who's disinterested/uninterested in her instead of trying to get over him and/or find a man who'd appreciate her better, I get really, really frustrated.

:lol: With Soujiro running away from Yuki, who's chasing him?

Yes, I'm hoping like crazy that their constant bickering will be some form of witty banter, but we'll see. I don't think you're wrong on your assessment of Soujiro in the manga vs. Soujiro in HanaDan/MG; I think you really hit right on the spot. I think belleza from dramabeans.com says my feelings on Matusoda Shota's portrayal of Soujiro best: "I really liked Soujiro in the J-drama, partially because Matsuda Shota has a fairly 'Canto' vibe about him. But this is closer to how I imagined Sojiro from the manga." This, refers to the photos of Kim Bum as Soujiro.

I'm still having trouble seeing Kim Bum as playboy extraordinaire, but I think he could make it work by bringing a different vibe to his character. The playboy who looks so sweet he would give you the world, but yet, if he does act like the sweet-cute-guy-next-door, it's only for an evening. Or he could bring the vibe of a cute schoolboy who's popular, easygoing, playful/humorous, and can give you a good, fun time -- which could parallel or serve to emphasize the level of casualness he keeps in his "relationships" with women. Kim Bum doesn't necessarily have to bring the smouldering, smexy womanizer vibe as a playboy; I never saw Soujiro in the manga along those lines anyway.

But I'll be really interested in seeing how So Yi Jung falls for Ga-eul, and how they'll manage having a relationship.

Thanks for the video!

So it seems like Lee Min-ho was teasing Kim Bum, who's the youngest of them all at 19, to basically be a good underling to his senior (1), since Lee Min-ho is older by age. So Kim Bum laughingly responds, "If you're ordering me [to do it] since I'm the youngest...how long has it been since you've worked, hyung? How long has it been since hyung has debuted?" Lee Min-ho playfully hits Kim Bum's shoulder, forced to conceed to Kim Bum's rebuttal, makes a sound that acknowledges that he has been pwned (2); the other F4 actors laugh. The woman commentating the video asks, "Is Kim Bum sunbae (translation: senior) by acting/as an actor?" Lee Min-ho confirms it: "Yes, that's right. Bum has the most [acting] experience." (3)

Gu Hye-Sun comes to join the F4, and the woman who's commentating asks, "Is there anything that feels weird [when you're doing this?]" (or something like that). Gu Hye-Sun points to all of the F4 and says, "Little by little, when we all gather together, it feels weird/strange." The boys seem impressed with her answer, all of them exclaim: "Uwaaaa (translation: wow)..." Lee Min-ho makes a comment about how well Gu Hye-Sun was able to dodge the reporter's question.

Notes

(1) And you can imagine what this would require, i.e. doing menial tasks

(2) It sounds like "Shhhh...", but with an accent/emphasis/crescendo

(3) By acting experience, I think they're measuring it not by quantity, but by how big their roles have been.

Hi,

Since I found some error in above translation, I'd like to help.

I'm a native korean speaker, and forgive my broken english.

----> Reporter asked Gu Hye-sun " Who's your Ee-sang-hyung (meaning ideal type-man) in this F4 member?

Gu Hye-Sun comes to join the F4, Gu Hye-Sun points to all of the F4 and says, "Little from everyone of F4( meaning that, she like to combine all F4 member's virtue into one man-that's her ideal man)" The boys seem impressed with her answer, all of them exclaim: "Uwaaaa (translation: wow)..." Lee Min-ho makes a comment about how well Gu Hye-Sun was able to dodge the reporter's question. Jun said that's too typical answer!!

F4 teased Gu for her avoiding reporter's answer.

Guest lovenlight

Hi,

I'm a native korean speaker, and pls. forgive my broken english.

----> Reporter asked Gu Hye-sun " Who's your Ee-sang-hyung (meaning ideal type-man) in this F4 member?

Gu Hye-Sun comes to join the F4, Gu Hye-Sun points to all of the F4 and says, "Little from everyone from F4( meaning that, she like to combine all F4 member's virtue into one man-that's her ideal man)" The boys seem impressed with her answer, all of them exclaim: "Uwaaaa (translation: wow)..." Lee Min-ho makes a comment about how well Gu Hye-Sun was able to dodge the reporter's question. Jun said that's too typical answer!!

F4 teased Gu. because she evaded an answer.

and I don't know how to delete my below comment. so I had to reply here again. sorry.

'lovenlight' date='Dec 7 2008, 05:45 AM' post='11839272'

Mun Jung Hyuk, of course!!! :blush:

Guest ljphantom

Hi,

I'm a native korean speaker, and forgive my broken english.

Gu Hye-Sun comes to join the F4, Gu Hye-Sun points to all of the F4 and says, "Little from everyone of F4( meaning that, she like to combine all F4 member's virtue into one man-that's her ideal man)" The boys seem impressed with her answer, all of them exclaim: "Uwaaaa (translation: wow)..." Lee Min-ho makes a comment about how well Gu Hye-Sun was able to dodge the reporter's question. Jun said that's too typical answer!!

F4 teased Gu for her avoiding reporter's answer.

Thank you! :)

I'm not a native Korean speaker, just one who's learning, so it's nice to get help. I figured there's no better way to practice other than to try out translating, and having whatever error I made corrected is really helpful. 이상 (Ee-sang) has a lot of meanings, but in the way it was used, I believed it to be used as "strange, weird, abnormal," but I didn't hear the "hyung" part. :blush: Is Ee-sang hyung referred to just males or is it a unisex term that could be used to refer to either gender depending on the context? Is it a colloquial term?

And I'm not really sure what you're talking about with your "broken" English. It sounds fine. Please post here more often; we'd love to see more of your contributions!

Oh, and if there's anything that you think could be worded better in the first paragraph, please let me know.

manderley_angel: I don't have any problem, but you should probably make edits to the second paragraph (sorry about that!) and add one more name to the credits list.

valley girl: As long as this drama keeps my interest, I'll keep posting here. I'm not too aware of all of Lee Min-ho's roles in other dramas/movies, but perhaps Kim Bum was referring to the fact that this was LMH's first major role as a male lead (so, hence, his debut).

a.l.: Thanks for sharing the photos!

Guest Dennis O'neil

^Thanks for sharing. The more clips the better XDD

So, Jan 5 is the big day!! Absolutely got that marked on the calendar... although I'm one of the fans who will be waiting for subs... have we discussed or find out who will be subbing the series?

^Not necessarily true, I'm sorry, hate to sound cliche but it's definitely more about the quality. The Japanese version showed clearly that they were able to represent the story superbly well in a mere 9eps the first time around. Even w/o the sequel I felt completely satisfied.

yup... i agree with u that is more about the quality... but what's wrong if the drama can not only longer but also great!!

I had seen HYD Taiwan, i'm sorry, that's foolish. It was successfull 'cause of the tenor of the manga. :wacko:

Guest PockyxChan

I've seen Hana Yori Dango seasons 1 and 2, and Meteor Garden, so I'm looking forward to the Korean version. I wonder how the manga-ka feels with so much publicity of her manga... I would definitely be overwhelmed that so many countries would want to do their own version.

However, I'm a little worried about the cast. Oguri Shun and Zai Zai did really well as Hanazawa Rui, Inoue Mao was a great Makino Tsukushi (very spunky), and Matsumoto Jun was quite adorable as Domyouji Tsukasa. I somehow do not see SS501's Kim Hyun Joong able to pull of Hanazawa Rui's character, at least not in the way Oguri Shun did. (But, seriously, who can beat that?) I don't know... I guess it's kind of a turn-off. And I love SS501's music, so that's not why. If there ever was a drama to have boybands featured, this one would be it, but I think we should just leave them out of it. I mean, there's a lot of new talent out there, so pick away.

(I know that's kind of hypocritical seeing as how Matsumoto Jun is a member of J-pop band Arashi. But I see him more as an actor, seeing that's how I first knew him - on Gokusen.)

Guest manderley_angel

manderley_angel: I don't have any problem, but you should probably make edits to the second paragraph (sorry about that!) and add one more name to the credits list.

valley girl: As long as this drama keeps my interest, I'll keep posting here. I'm not too aware of all of Lee Min-ho's roles in other dramas/movies, but perhaps Kim Bum was referring to the fact that this was LMH's first major role as a male lead (so, hence, his debut).

will do ^^ hmm, about the whole sunbae thing between Lee Minho and Kim Bum... i understood it as that Kim Bum has had more "major" roles than LMH, therefore he is more senior in terms of acting experience. (much like what you explained... it makes more sense) I think LMH has only been a male lead in one kdrama -- Mackerel Run, and it wasn't even a major production...

sharing my Boys Before Flowers playlist --

`click here

some were uploaded/reup by me...and some from other youtubers.

Thank you! :)

I'm not a native Korean speaker, just one who's learning, so it's nice to get help. I figured there's no better way to practice other than to try out translating, and having whatever error I made corrected is really helpful. 이상 (Ee-sang) has a lot of meanings, but in the way it was used, I believed it to be used as "strange, weird, abnormal," but I didn't hear the "hyung" part. :blush: Is Ee-sang hyung referred to just males or is it a unisex term that could be used to refer to either gender depending on the context? Is it a colloquial term?

And I'm not really sure what you're talking about with your "broken" English. It sounds fine. Please post here more often; we'd love to see more of your contributions!

이상형 (ee-sang-hyung) is actually a word by itself. like lovenlight wrote, it means ideal type of person. the way they asked it in the clip meant "who is your ideal type of person?" it has no gender associated connotation (like for example the difference between obba vs hyung).

Guest ljphantom

이상형 (ee-sang-hyung) is actually a word by itself. like lovenlight wrote, it means ideal type of person. the way they asked it in the clip meant "who is your ideal type of person?" it has no gender associated connotation (like for example the difference between obba vs hyung).

Thanks. But the reason why I was asking if it was a unisex term was because lovenlight translated ee-sang hyung as "ideal-type man," so I was curious as to whether or not if it applied to all genders.

Guest asdfjkl;fdsajkl;

honestly, im not gonna lie. i was not happy at all with the casting of GHS when it was first announced. but now seeing all these bts and pics i must say im converted. i do think she looks young enough now...although im still iffy on the age difference. but whatever, im excited. thats all that matters

o and KIM BUM-KIM SO EUN FTW!!!! there's no age difference to make me feel iffy this time. lol ive always had this weird obsession with young side character pairings (WG/KS from EOE). like some of you, i was pretty mad at how yuki never got soujiroh. hopefully this version will be different. btw that bts pic made be go bananas! lol

Guest nhamthach

'lovenlight' date='Dec 7 2008, 05:45 AM' post='11839272'

Mun Jung Hyuk, of course!!! :blush:

I agree .You answer very happy .

I think you are fans of Eric,too

Hopefully we can see more news image about film :rolleyes:

oh, i have a BAD FEELING this drama might not be aired in KBS WORLD?!

i checked the SCHEDULE, AFTER WORLDS WITHIN *the schedule was not yet adjusted because WW will be having 20 episodes and the schedule was only prepared for 16 episodes* after checking, i saw that AFTER WORLDS WITHIN, they would be airing LOVE AND MARRIAGE again?! and i haven't saw a SPOT for BOYS BEFORE FLOWERS in the KBS WORLD site! ....sigh :(

looks like i'll be depending on my loving WithS2 if ever... :)

Thanks. But the reason why I was asking if it was a unisex term was because lovenlight translated ee-sang hyung as "ideal-type man," so I was curious as to whether or not if it applied to all genders.

i think it was implicitly understood when the reporter asked the question to goo hyesun that she was being asked about the type of guy she finds ideal. that's why lovenlight translated that way. i guess for a more literal translation, it would've been "who is your ideal type of person?" but since it was a girl being asked, it got translated to being a guy.

for example, if a person named eric was asked "who was his eesanghyung?" it would, generally, be implicitly understood that he was being asked about the type of woman.

eesanghyung like i wrote earlier does not imply gender/associated with gender / ie. can be used on either sex. (feel free to correct me on this if i'm wrong. ^^v)