[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest buddhjie14

saturn, thanks for the previews..

I enjoyed reading all of them,

and now my nerves are trembling because of my excitement for episode 8..

lol...

i think this is the part

when JH told JP that who JD truly loves is him(JP)...

I can't wait for tuesday!!!!!

I hope they won't cut the episode with such a cliffhanger..

I want to see JP and JD together again this week...

Guest ljphantom

Hello there ljphantom. I read your comments on the YJ/GA couple and I just want to let you know that I'm looking forward to more about them. You know the manga very well and I'd love to hear your thoughts as it relates to the Korean version. I like this young couple and I do hope that they're given a good ending. I would hate it if their story turns out to be all sappy and dramatic with GA running after and being hurt by YJ.

I'll post my thoughts on YJ/GE scenes in Episode 6 later; I actually have it all typed up (I just want to edit it). It's actually been awhile since I've read the manga, so my memory may be rusty at some parts. According to the Korean media, the light-heartedness -- compared to the "dramatic, heart-aching love triangle" -- is what makes YJ/GE refreshing to watch. I'm okay with a little angst on the front, but I would certainly hate it if they turned Soujiro/Sara/Yuuki storyline into a typical kdrama love triangle.

ljphantom, hmm...i'm not sure if I want to see a time jump or a level of maturity. both have pros and cons actually. but...as long as I get GaJeong, i'll be fine with either :D

Hey aggiesbaby, thanks for responding. Yes, I hoping there won't be any time jump, so I'm hoping they'll show them being in university and them probably show them preparing to take over the business as heirs-in-training. I doubt they're going to show any scenes of Shinhwa University, but it'd be nice if they just showed them going to the next immediate step of their lives.

saturn: Thanks for providing the English translation and the original Korean summary of the extended previews side-by-side, as well as the source!

REVIEW: EPISODE 6

*analysis of Yi Jeong/Ga-eul scenes will be posted later separately.*

In which Jan-di and Jun Pyo play tricks on each other: I thought this was a nice scene to show the potential of how their relationship could work out, and notably, didn't require any money spending on the account on Jun Pyo. (To refresh your memory, it's when Jun Pyo pretends like he's stripping all the way, which freaks Jan-di out, and Jan-di, in retaliation, makes Jun-pyo panic when she convinces him there's a snake right by him.) We've seen flashes of the playful dynamics of JP/JD before, but I felt this scene was a bit different in that while Jun Pyo regularly torments Jan-di as a sign of his affections, it's the first time in which Jan-di playfully decides to torment him back.

In which Ji Hoo saves Jan-di and Jun Pyo cannot move: I'm a little annoyed at the sloppiness on the part of the producers to have Jan-di drown at the shallower end of the ocean, but I digress. This scene was supposed to show Jun Pyo's limitation. Jun Pyo wants to save her, but cannot move, no matter what how much he tries to make his legs budge. And I'm sure it was a blow to his ego to watch somebody else, especially Ji Hoo, save the girl he, Jun Pyo, liked. We later learn from Yi Jeong and Woo Bin that it's because when Jun Pyo was six, he had been kidnapped by his bodyguard. The car was chased, and it fell into the river, leaving little Jun Pyo flailing in the water and yelling for help to be saved.

Kang Hee-soo: "F4... when he is ever going to stop playing around as the leader of that (disgustingly) childish F4?"

Kang Hee-soo didn't say so as much in words, but it's clear that she thoroughly disapproves of Jun Pyo's friends because she thinks of them as a negative influence on him. He is the successor to Shinhwa Group, and she feels like they hold him back from growing up and doing his duties. To her, whatever he did with F4, "playing around," was fine as long as it stayed "playing around" in high school. I don't think Kang Hee-soo will try to tear her son away from his friends until after he graduates from high school, from there upon she will consider him as an adult.

And although F3 -- Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin -- didn't bother stopping Jun Pyo's bullying or his violent tendencies (the latter I don't think they can even try to change), as Jun Pyo's only friends, they've been able to keep him sane -- to keep him from being worse. We know he's had a lonely childhood, barely seeing his parents, raised self-handedly by his slightly violent but very loving older sister who's barely older than himself, and surrounded by servants who'd been obeying his orders ever since he could talk. I believe Jun-pyo's emotional extremes is a result of a poor upbringing from his parents, saved only by Jun-hee's tempering influence.

In which Jun Pyo tries to compensate by preparing an elaborate dinner for Jan-di/In which Ju Pyo gets Jan-di a present: There isn't much to analyze here, so I'm not going into the elaborates of this scene other than to say Jan-di is touched by Jun-pyo's thoughtful, but albeit clumsily executed, gestures. A few steps into their relationship, but as drama goes, we must expect several steps back. When Ji Hoo hears Jun Pyo telling Jan-di to eat properly or else her muscles will get cramped again, he walks away, unable to stand hearing anymore. We later learn it's because...

Ji Hoo: "Do you know what it’s like being nothing but a burden to the woman you love? You called them pathetic fools who can’t do anything on their own."

Later that night, Ji Hoo tells Jan-di that she was right in calling chaebol male heirs who never earned a penny by themselves worthless (though Jan-di protests, presumably to that it was supposed to be applied to Jun Pyo at that situation). All he did at Paris was to wait for Seo Hyun in her apartment, doing nothing else because he couldn't do anything else for her. When Jun Pyo couldn't save Jan-di, he tried to make up for it by preparing an elaborate (granted, he didn't do himself, but he did overlook the preparations) dinner and fussing over her to eat everything. To Ji Hoo, seeing Jun Pyo handle his incapability so well was another painful reminder of his own incapability with Seo-hyun...

Seeing her first love at his lowest, self-deprecating mood saddens Jan-di. It also brought back her underlying feelings for JH to the surface, but she kept them under wraps for JH's sake:

It is interesting how JD refused the flower pot from JH, telling him that he should give it to SH. I think that this is a signal that JD's outlook regarding JH is beginning to change from prince charming to friend. If it were the old JD, she would have been flattered and accepted it willingly. Their conversation was mostly centred around SH; I feel that it was JD's curiousity to find out what happened between them that’s why she approached him rather than trying to rekindle any kind of romantic feelings she initially felt for JH before he left for Paris. She seemed surprised when JH hugged her.

At this point, JD is trying to be a friend to JH -- even if she wants to be more. But JH, weak at heart (remember Yi Jeong's words to Ga-eul about how "a rejected man becomes weak at heart"?), turns to her comfort, hugging the stable, solid Jan-di, who's now flustered.

The Bracelet Fiasco: When Jan-di loses the bracelet Jun Pyo gave her, we see that she does treasure it when she tries to look for it in her room, but gives it up as lost. As sheherizade3 said, "she's beginning to care about his feelings so that she opted not to tell him the truth." We see Jun Pyo trying to keep his cool and not to jump into conclusions, a positive growth for his character. The old Jun Pyo might've jumped into conclusions, venting out with his fury, but this Jun Pyo reacted differently. He asks Jan-di where it is, and she responds she left in her room. Although he doesn't believe her (especially after seeing the same bracelet on Ji Hoo's wrist earlier), he tries to accept her words at face-value. When he later sees it on Ji Hoo's wrist, he can no longer resist and asks him what's up with the bracelet, telling that it doesn't suit him. Ji Hoo then responds, "I guess you're right. I like it though," and then hands it back to him. Jun Pyo asks him what he's giving him, and Ji Hoo tells him that it was Jan-di's, asking him to give it back to her for him. Now, I can understand how Ji Hoo's request looks suspiciously malicious and calculated when he could've given it back to JD himself, but I don't think it was out of maliciousness or an active way to break Jun Pyo's spirit. It was an unknowingly thoughtless request, the kind of request I can see Ji Hoo making (he is described to be a bit of a lazy person). Also, Ji Hoo had no idea the bracelet was a present from Jun Pyo, only that it was Jan-di's.

Jun Pyo realizes that Jan-di has lied to him, and is unable to concentrate at the game. At this point, it's clear Jun Pyo is not the Domyouji of the manga. At this point in the original, Domyouji is still violent (both physically and sexually) and dangerous, and because of those two traits, it understandably takes Makino a very long time to trust him. So when Makino still remains attached to Rui and goes out with him instead of Domyouji, we can understand better why she does. But when Domyouji's violent tendencies and dangerous extreme emotional outrage is toned down in Jun Pyo, there is, as a result, less sympathy for Jan-di's actions. HOWEVER, I do not think this means this adaptation has left Jan-di as unsympathetic, because I think if were to put ourselves in her shoes, we would still be able to understand why she reacted the way she did. (note: more on this later on the analysis.)

As he takes in the situation, Jun-pyo’s dazed reaction turns dark, and he sets off to find Ji-hoo, who is paddling calmly out to sea in a kayak. Jun-pyo grabs another one and paddles madly to catch up.

When he reaches him, for a moment it’s uncertain how he’ll act, but Jun-pyo passes him like this is some kind of heated race with no finish line. Maybe it is. Perhaps Ji-hoo figures it’s better to avoid provoking a confrontation, but I think it’s pretty wimpy for him to turn around silently and head back to shore.

When Jun-pyo turns around to see Ji-hoo paddling away, he throws his paddle in frustration.

I guess all that exertion wears out his anger, because the next thing we know they’re both back on the shore and nobody’s beaten to a pulp.

I think this scene went to show us a glimpse of dynamics of Jun Pyo/Ji Hoo's relationship. We know what should've happened to these two. Jun Pyo should've restrained his anger, telling Ji Hoo about how he felt -- including why that bracelet was so special to him -- as he did with Jan-di, and Ji Hoo shouldn't have run away from his best friend, no matter how much he thought it was better to avoid a confrontation. In the end, the paddling wears Jun Pyo's anger out, probably as how Ji Hoo expected and knew. But the two best friends should've had a honest talk together. But they didn't, and we see the consequences of that later.

Jun Pyo: "I’d decided that when I found a girl I liked, I’d bring her here. Can you see it? My heart?"

Jun Pyo's revelation leaves Jan-di stunned, perhaps leaving her to realize exactly how serious Jun Pyo was. And the magnitude of his feelings for her left her uncomfortable, because she could not, as of yet, return the favor. sheherizade3 sums it up nicely: "In a way, she must have felt the pressure because she's not prepared for it and was still trying to sort out her feelings for him." As Jan-di looks down, uncomfortable and feeling the pressure, while Jun Pyo -- too elated by showing her this -- doesn't notice and grins maniacally.

We see that despite the strides made in their relationship, we are brought back to the core flaw of what wouldn't make this relationship work out. Jan-di should've made it clear to Jun Pyo that she was still sorting out her feelings and needed space because it did sort of lead Jun Pyo on, while Jun Pyo should not have taken her silence as approval and learn to ask her about HER feelings instead of spilling about his own.

In which they learn of Ji Hoo's pain: Woo Bin and Yi Jeong tell Jun Pyo that they found this magazine, which shows Seo Hyun engaged -- per Jan-di's prediction -- to a famous foreigner. They say that it was good Ji Hoo was not in Paris, and comments how Ji Hoo had not come out of his room. They ask Jun Pyo what they should do, since Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo are best friends, and Jun Pyo replies coolly, "It should be fine. I know that rascal." Yi Jeong sighs in disagreement, although gives in since Jun Pyo does know Ji Hoo best. I think Jun Pyo's cool tone and his unwillingness to doing anything about his best friend's pain (even Ga-eul comments how she can understand why Ji Hoo's personality underwent a great change) goes to show shows that even though his anger no longer lingers, he has yet to forgive Ji Hoo. I think Jun Pyo's reasons for acting a bit cold towards Ji Hoo has to do more with the fact that Ji Hoo has been avoiding him and not being straight with him. While we've seen hints of it earlier in the kayaking scene, it is now clear that there is a rift underlying their friendship.

In which Jun Pyo tells Jan-di not to make him wait too long: Jun Pyo tries to kiss Jan-di, but she turns away. He doesn't push for the kiss, but scoffs, telling her, "Don't make me wait too long for it." Clearly, he's under the impression that she returns his feelings -- despite her not having said anything of the like -- but just needs time to adjust to entering a relationship with him.

(1) Feeling bad for Ji-hoo, Jan-di heads down to the beach to find him. She asks with tears in her eyes if the rumors of Seo-hyun’s engagement are true, and tells him she’s sorry.

He sounds so defeated as he tells her he can’t compare to Seo-hyun’s fiancé that Jan-di insists he’s wrong. Seeing how much his pain affects her, Ji-hoo gathers her in a hug.

She entreats, “Please be happy… because if you’re unhappy, I am too.”

Wondering, “How could I not like a girl like you?,” Ji-hoo leans in and kisses her. --dramabeans.com

(2) JH's kiss was for all intents and purposes, unintentional and spur of the moment. JD came to see him crying and very apologetic when she learned that SH was involved with a politician; she felt responsible that her predictions earlier about SH came true. JH, who was filled with regrets and self-loathing, was visibly touched and could not help it when he kissed her. JD on the other hand, wanted to comfort him and the kiss was her way of probably making him feel better. It was not exactly earth shaking; their lips just sort of touched and JD did not even respond to it by way of kissing him back. --sheherizade3

By Ji Hoo's words, "How could I not like a girl like you?", I interpreted as him telling her that as although he doesn't like her that way, he clearly wants to. Unlike Seo Hyun who goes off to do as she pleases and is above his league, Jan-di is nearer, more devoted, and stable and comforting like a rock.

But then Jun-pyo, who had witnessed the kiss, coldly glares, arrives, and he is terrible to behold. Jun Pyp punches Ji Hoo, and turns furiously to Jan-di, who entreats him to stop. He accuses her of playing with his heart and both of them for going behind his back ("Is this what was going on?"): "I wanted to believe you. I wanted to believe you, because I didn't regret not doing so later on. [...] I showed you my true self. But...this was your reply?" Jan-di tries to explain to him that the situation wasn't as it appeared on the surface, but Jun Pyo threw the bracelet into the water, telling her, "It’s really over now. Geum Jan-di, don’t act like you know me anymore," and leaves.

Ji Hoo tries to get him back -- to explain (too late, Ji Hoo!), but Jun Pyo tells him he if he opens his mouth again, he will really kill him.

Jan-di's reaction shows us just how much Jun Pyo's feelings meant to her -- that she does care for his feelings and what the thinks of her. It seems like she has only just realized that herself... It doesn't get rid of her lingering feelings for Ji Hoo, but now she is in an emotional turmoil.

In which Ga-eul tells her the meaning behind the bracelet: Of course, Ga-eul doesn't anything about the bracelet Jun Pyo gave Jan-di, but it seems like Ga-eul has the same one, just in different colors. Jan-di asks her what that bracelet is, and Ga-eul replies that the lady whom she bought it from told her you were supposed to put it on someone you want to spend the rest of your life with. We learn the significance behind the bracelet, and in this context, gain a better understanding of why that bracelet -- cheap as it was -- held so much significance to Jun Pyo. But Ga-eul brings us back with a good point: "Maybe it's like asking them not to run away?"

The bracelet is now a motif of a recurring problem in Jun Pyo/Jan-di's relationship. When one person gives an item like that to the other, the person who they wish could spend the rest of their life with, and not visa versa -- then it is basically asking them not to run away. But in a relationship in which such feelings are reciprocated, then such a question doesn't need to be asked all. That's why wedding rings are exchanged and not just a one-sided gift; they are a symbol of a mutual commitment to a serious relationship "for life."

On Ji Hoo and Jan-di's camaraderie and Jun Pyo's announcement to the school: Back at school's balcony, Jan-di and Ji Hoo resolve their issues, talking honestly as they usually do. They apologize to each other about happened at the beach, and Jan-di sorrowfully tells him how she has hurt Jun Pyo. In an effort to comfort her, Ji Hoo draws a silly scribble of Jun Pyo on the wall with a chalk, asking, "Jun Pyo would be like this right now, wouldn't he?" Jan-di takes over, making his facial expression angrier and adding curlier hair. Her initial laughter turns into tears, and Ji Hoo seems to realize that Jan-di may have some feelings for Jun Pyo. She apologizes for crying, but Ji Hoo grabs her hand, telling her that it was all right to do so.

When Jun Pyo announces to the school that Ji Hoo is no longer a part of the F4 and that he and Jan-di will be expelled from school in a week, everyone -- including Yi Jeong and Woo Bin -- react in shock. Of course, every time Jun Pyo publicly denounces Jan-di, she ends up being bullied by the school. (I hope later episodes will show Jun Pyo will realize the consequences of his thoughtless public denouncements of Jan-di, because I think his anger is what blinds him from realizing this.) But Ji Hoo steps in, stopping GiSunMi -- who tearfully tell Ji Hoo that they can no longer side with him. Ji Hoo, of course, doesn't care.

So now both Ji-hoo and Jan-di are in the same persona non grata boat. Jan-di figures that Jun-pyo won’t go through with his threat — she may be expellable, but surely not Ji-hoo. Ji-hoo reminds her whose school this is.

She wonders if there’s a way out of the mess, and he responds, “I’ll have to find one, because now I have a reason not to sit back and concede quietly.”

Ji-hoo says that last bit with a meaningful smile at Jan-di, which she takes to mean that he wants to reconcile with F4. Ji-hoo laughs and calls her dumb, because that’s not what he was referring to: “I don’t care about that.”

By pushing Ji Hoo and Jan-di in the same boat through expulsion and making it clear that he will not heed any sort of reconciliation, Jun Pyo has effectively made their relationship grow a lot closer. And when that happens, Jan-di will push Jun Pyo away -- and stick with Ji Hoo, who has now decided it is necessary to put Jan-di's interests above his friendship to Jun Pyo -- when he comes back after realizing that he cannot live without her. (As for the love triangle, as one poster said earlier: they're all at fault. And what makes characters so interesting to us, is that we can try to get in their heads and see what makes them tinker and how they are the way they are, instead of simplifying these these complex characters by chalking them to black-and-white labels like "good" or "bad.")

In which Yi Jeong confronts Ji Hoo and Woo Bin attempts to calm Jun Pyo down: Good to see the adaptation displaying the differences between Yi Jeong and Woo Bin; in their respective confrontations and attempt to persuade the other as so not to let F4 fall apart, it seemed like Yi Jeong was playing the bad cop, while Woo Bin was playing the good one.

(1) Yi Jeong: "Whatever you did, I always understood. To tell you the truth, even though I thought Jun Pyo was a little hard to take, I didn't know I would have to say this to you."

Ji Hoo: "It's isn't like you for your sentences/speech to be long." (implication: "It isn't like you for you not to get straight to the point.")

Yi Jeong: "Why did you do it?"

Ji Hoo: "Just because. Because I felt like it."

Yi Jeong: "That Jun Pyo liked Jan-di---"

Ji Hoo: "--I knew it."

Yi Jeong: "Yoon Ji Hoo! Even if you had seduced my younger sister and dumped her after three days, I wouldn't have been this angry."

Ji Hoo: "You don't have one. A younger sister."

Yi Jeong: "I'm not joking. I can't forgive you for messing around with a friend's girl."

Ji Hoo: "I am sorry to Jun Pyo, but--"

Yi Jeong: "But what?!"

Ji Hoo: "I can't let him expel Jan-di from school."

Yi Jeong: "So...what are you going to do?"

Ji Hoo: "I should do whatever I can."

Yi Jeong: "I warning you: this time, you won't have anybody on your side. Don't be disappointed."

(2) Woo Bin: "I know how you feel, Jun Pyo, but expulsion is too harsh."

Jun Pyo: "Too harsh? Being too harsh is when I kill them all."

Woo Bin: "Ji Hoo isn't in his right mind right now. You know what Seo-hyun meant to him. A man of his nature followed her to Paris. And all of a sudden, marriage...it's enough to make anyone crazy."

Jun Pyo: "You're right. It's not because he really liked Jan-di. Because of what happened with Seo-hyun, he used Geum Jan-di! That's what I can't forgive -- you know that?"

Woo Bin: "Jun Pyo..."

Jun Pyo: "Don't take his side anymore. Say one more word, and I'll kick you out too."

(1) Hellloo, young Dong Chul! Ji Hoo puts on a proud and unapologetic, unwavering, facade, but when Yi Jeong wears him down, Ji Hoo puts down his mask and tells him he does feel bad for what he did. When Yi Jeong asks Ji Hoo what he's going to do, it's clear Yi Jeong expects Ji Hoo to ask to concede to Jun Pyo and apologize, but Ji Hoo tells him he cannot leave Jan-di's side and let her face expulsion, for he feels he owes his duty to her. Seeing Ji Hoo toss away their friendship so easily for a girl whom he wasn't serious about was a factor that played into Yi Jeong's anger. Going after a friend's girl (remember, to Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, Jun Pyo and Jan-di are dating) was crossing the line for Yi Jeong, but worse than that for Yi Jeong was that Ji Hoo was only messing around with Jan-di. Had Ji Hoo had real, sincere intentions towards Jan-di -- that his actions meant something other than seeking comfort at the spur-of-the-moment -- Yi Jeong probably wouldn't have reacted so harshly and stayed out of the conflict as neutral instead.

(2) Woo Bin -- ever the even-keeled and the sympathetic -- is just like his original counterpart, Akira: he cares deeply about F4 staying together, even more than Yi Jeong does. You can tell he's trying to make Jun Pyo understand how Ji Hoo feels in hopes that the leader will put aside his anger so they can be F4 -- not F3 -- again. But Jun Pyo doesn't see it that way. He sees it as Woo Bin siding with Ji Hoo because he thinks Woo Bin believes Ji Hoo's actions are right (which, of course, Woo Bin doesn't believe that but still remains sympathetic), when it's really more for the sake of keeping their friendship in one piece.

Guest sundyts

I dont know... I kind of like it that the korean version deviates from the manga and the other versions a bit. It gives a new spin on things and I think it is the writer's creative right to change some things..

Also, I dont think this drama is only from the viewpoint of Junpyo.. From what Ive been seeing ep1-6 I feel that Jandi's point of view is portrayed.

As for Jun Pyo being in the spotlight.... HE can't help being so awesome..I dont think he should downplay his acting ability to match others around him. PLus I dont mind that we see alot of Junpyo..There's no point in denying Minho's star appeal. Actually a huge portion of my addiction to this drama is because of MinHo playing Junpyo and I dont think there's anything wrong with that.

if u notice, i didn't say anything criticizing on Min Ho :) i just share some interesting viewpoint from the fans.

I think what Cinamoroll meant by "spotlight" was that Joon Pyo's POV is revealed more than the rest of the characters.. not that he actually wants that spotlight (i mean, i wouldn't complain either :rolleyes: ). And i actually like it this way. I'm also thinking that maybe that is another reason to why/how someone can fall for Joon Pyo so early on in the series-- b/c we see him [and his sentimental ways] more. Whereas, the other adaptations, he might've acted the same way but we didn't get to see it b/c the POV was more focused on Makino/ShanCai. :sweatingbullets: .. i don't know if that makes sense, but yes.^^

I really really like it that it's in JP's POV (or.. more of JP's POV). This may have been what Domyouji/DaoMingSe was going through as well.. we just never got to see it. I like this twist in the Korean version... I've only begun to realize it. >_<

But what still gets on my nerves is the fact that i'm convincing myself that JP and JH has this awesomely cool bond~~ when in reality, i'm only thinking that because i know that that's part of the story.--- This version doesn't really emphasize on their strong bond. I mean, if i were to watch this drama w/out reading the manga or watching the previous versions, i'd probably think that YJ+JP were best best friends and JH was just an exception to F4. :ph34r:

And i agree! Goo Jun Hee rules.. :P

thank u , songielove.

that's what i want to say.

when i said spotlight, i didn't say Min Ho wants spot light. i just said only Jun pyo is in spot light.

the director show his scene more than JanDi.

Just like u said, other version focused on Makino/Jandi scene and fairly on Rui/JH too.

That's why we can see how much Domyoji and Rui love each other and how Makino feel toward Domyoji and Rui.

in this drama, we can only see how much JP love JD.

even though some people say they feel the friendship btw JP and JH, i dn't feel at all.

I dn't see JH friendly chitchat with other F4s and there's no friendly conversion btw JH and Jp either. The scenes they two talks in Eps 6 while taking soup and playing vollyball, it's just like 2 strangers talking. no sense of friendship.

Guest polaris

if u notice, i didn't say anything criticizing on Min Ho :) i just share some interesting viewpoint from the fans.

I understand =) I know you are not criticizing Minho.. I think I expressed myself alittle bit off. I just wanted to say although some fans are saying it's too much in Minho's character (Junpyo's) point of view.. I think it's actually pretty balanced between JunPyo and Jandi.

Guest Labacookie

I think the idea that it's too focused on Jun Pyo may be misleading. Jan Di certainly has the most screen time. It could be that her character isn't as assertive as of late, and it gives the impression that she's taken a back seat to other characters, particularly Jun Pyo, who as he grows more aware of his feelings for Jan Di, seems to be more noticeable on screen.

Edit, also my apologies to the mods for the comparisons, but it seems unavoidable as it keeps coming up. I was mainly responding in defense of the series, and why such comparisons while predictable, ultimately seem to misunderstand that each show or each representation of the original story is unique, and that this version is going to be different because of directing, acting, and character development.

Gosh!!!! I feel like I'm back in my English Literature class ... I love reading all the discussions ... very informative with great perspectives ... BOF lovers are awesome writers ... keep up the wonderful analysis. :w00t:

p.s.s. I'm having JP withdrawal issues (hehe).

side note: I'm glad that the korean version of Domyouji is less violent, which makes him more lovable. Rather than beating up people, I like the fact that Joon Pyo takes his anger and frustration out through sports activities. It's nice to see a hot guy break a sweat, this should be a requirement on all episodes. =)

Guest MiyuKanata09

REVIEW: EPISODE 6

*analysis of Yi Jeong/Ga-eul scenes will be posted later separately.*

In which Jan-di and Jun Pyo play tricks on each other: I thought this was a nice scene to show the potential of how their relationship could work out, and notably, didn't require any money spending on the account on Jun Pyo. (To refresh your memory, it's when Jun Pyo pretends like he's stripping all the way, which freaks Jan-di out, and Jan-di, in retaliation, makes Jun-pyo panic when she convinces him there's a snake right by him.) We've seen flashes of the playful dynamics of JP/JD before, but I felt this scene was a bit different in that while Jun Pyo regularly torments Jan-di as a sign of his affections, it's the first time in which Jan-di playfully decides to torment him back.

I Super Duper AGREE with this one!!

i really really love reading your analysis... its was so awesome.. i love that even without comparing to the others, you can still analyse the good parts and bad ones too.. even a small piece..

i agree with everything you post..i hope to see more analysis from you...

----

i think someone says that JuHee's appearance is a bit late..well in original it suppose to be that way.. in japanese they made her appear early to help Domyouji to finally ask Makino for a date.. but in original Tsubasa(JuHee) is the problem solver of the relationship between JP/JD/JH..

I agree with everyone here. It's so nice to have everyone put forth their own analysis. It's great to read and understand it in a better perspective. I had thought I understood the complete storyline, but in contrast I really didn't.

PS- I love this drama and the couples.

Edit, also my apologies to the mods for the comparisons, but it seems unavoidable as it keeps coming up. I was mainly responding in defense of the series, and why such comparisons while predictable, ultimately seem to misunderstand that each show or each representation of the original story is unique, and that this version is going to be different because of directing, acting, and character development.

Sorry to cut your post, but I would like to agree with you on this one. I actually read the whole comparison thing that you did (heck, I read this thread everyday), and I must say, there was nothing wrong in what you did, comparing the different versions. I agree with the underlined phrase, because reading this thread everyday and seeing a lot of people comparing the different versions.. it gets annoying at times.

And besides, if other people can compare, why can't you? And you did a pretty good comparison a while ago. And I do think as well that now is still not the right time to compare the versions, because this hasn't finished yet, this drama still has a long way to go. And you know what? I'll also be watching this again after all the episodes have aired, to see the development in each episode.

Labacookie, I enjoy all your writings. And ljphantom's as well. Long posts are very enjoyable to read, and fangirling once in a while wouldn't hurt too. I guess this is the reason why this thread's a big hit.

*edit* I just realized, my signature kind of shows JunPyo's feelings towards JanDi. He thinks he can get anything he wants, and I can imagine it at the back of my mind JunPyo thinking between these lines... 'JanDi, I need a magic potion to make you feel the same way that I feel.' Lol! So random. By the way, this is a song written by Rico Blanco, entitled 'Out of Reach' by Rivermaya, a Filipino band.

Guest ljphantom

I really want to see them as adults. I have never imagined that. I think they are very kool and more mature. Hehe, I want to see Yi Jeong when he is a adult. Surely he will be very handsome.

It'd be nice to see, but perhaps it'd be better to see at the end. Right now, don't you think it would be more interesting to see how the story unfolds while they're still growing up? :) Besides, I think it might be hard for some people to imagine Yi Jeong as an adult -- were they to do a time jump -- with that youthful (but cute) face of his. ^^

i really really love reading your analysis... its was so awesome.. i love that even without comparing to the others, you can still analyse the good parts and bad ones too.. even a small piece..

i agree with everything you post..i hope to see more analysis from you...

Thanks. :)

Sorry to cut your post, but I would like to agree with you on this one. I actually read the whole comparison thing that you did (heck, I read this thread everyday), and I must say, there was nothing wrong in what you did, comparing the different versions. I agree with the underlined phrase, because reading this thread everyday and seeing a lot of people comparing the different versions.. it gets annoying at times.

Agreed. Also, there's nothing wrong with comparing different versions as long as explain our positions, stay civil and respectful to one another, and most importantly, keep an open mind about this adaptation.

Labacookie, I enjoy all your writings. And ljphantom's as well. Long posts are very enjoyable to read, and fangirling once in a while wouldn't hurt too.

Yes, thanks for contributing and posting, Labacookie! And rorakitsuzu, I'm glad the length of my post didn't scare you away. :P

i'm guessing the extended previews are not out yet?

Not that I know of.

---

Erm, I realize people may not exactly care about this right now after reading about the much more revealing and exciting summaries of extended previews saturn kindly posted and translated, but here's the second preview of Episode 7 subbed in English. Enjoy!

ljphantom- fabulous post and i have additional stuff to add but still typing it up however on this point i have to disagree below.

I do feel as though YJ and WB equally care for their friendship as a whole and its not so much WB or YJ caring more. In fact i think its really the both of them who care more for the friendship as a whole rather than JH or JP. For JH i feel as though that its more of a habit that he is with them because his personality is not the easiest and the same goes for JP too but less so on JP's side. I think all 3 (JP, YJ, WB) of them are heavily invested in their friendship and for JP at least it does show that they are more likely than not along with his sister who are keeping him from jumping into the prceipice of being a living robot like his mother intended.

(1) Hellloo, young Dong Chul! Ji Hoo puts on a proud and unapologetic, unwavering, facade, but when Yi Jeong wears him down, Ji Hoo puts down his mask and tells him he does feel bad for what he did. When Yi Jeong asks Ji Hoo what he's going to do, it's clear Yi Jeong expects Ji Hoo to ask to concede to Jun Pyo and apologize, but Ji Hoo tells him he cannot leave Jan-di's side and let her face expulsion, for he feels he owes his duty to her. Seeing Ji Hoo toss away their friendship so easily for a girl whom he wasn't serious about was a factor that played into Yi Jeong's anger. Going after a friend's girl (remember, to Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, Jun Pyo and Jan-di are dating) was crossing the line for Yi Jeong, but worse than that for Yi Jeong was that Ji Hoo was only messing around with Jan-di. Had Ji Hoo had real, sincere intentions towards Jan-di -- that his actions meant something other than seeking comfort at the spur-of-the-moment -- Yi Jeong probably wouldn't have reacted so harshly and stayed out of the conflict as neutral instead.

(2) Woo Bin -- ever the even-keeled and the sympathetic -- is just like his original counterpart, Akira: he cares deeply about F4 staying together, even more than Yi Jeong does. You can tell he's trying to make Jun Pyo understand how Ji Hoo feels in hopes that the leader will put aside his anger so they can be F4 -- not F3 -- again. But Jun Pyo doesn't see it that way. He sees it as Woo Bin siding with Ji Hoo because he thinks Woo Bin believes Ji Hoo's actions are right (which, of course, Woo Bin doesn't believe that but still remains sympathetic), when it's really more for the sake of keeping their friendship in one piece.