Dramas [2008~2009]

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: JavaBeans

Maybe Triple will be watchable after all

September 10th, 2008 // by javabeans

200809110222.jpg

Wait, what in the hey-what-now?

Yoon Kye-sang has been cast in the figure-skating trendy drama, helmed by the director of Coffee Prince, Triple?

First, talented director Lee Yoon-jung managed to sway Lee Seon-kyun (Coffee Prince, My Sweet Seoul) into joining her for this latest drama venture, featuring a young and inexperienced new singer in her acting debut, Min Hyo-rin of the “luxury nose.” Now she’s got Yoon Kye-sang (Who Are You?, Crazy in Love) onboard as well.

(I loved Yoon Kye-sang in Who Are You? Was it a groundbreaking or even artistically challenging drama? No. But it was poignant and often engagingly funny, and he was the best thing in it.)

Yoon Kye-sang is described as taking the lead male role, but it doesn’t sound like he’s taking Jung Il-woo’s recently vacated spot as a speed skater. Instead, he’s one of three employees in an ad agency (another being played by Lee Seon-kyun).

Huh. Triple just jumped up from being an embarrassing guilty pleasure to being a shameless guilty pleasure. Although I’m still not sold on Min Hyo-rin. Can we ditch her and just have our two lovely leading men fall in love instead? It’ll be like Coffee Prince: What Could Have Been if the Girl Who Looked Like A Dude Was Actually A Dude (on Skates).

Triple is scheduled for a January premiere on MBC.

Via DongA.com

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2008.09.16

SBS puts money on 'Tazza' drama

In the hopes of carrying a trilogy of dramas based on the works of cartoonist Hur Young-man to a successful end, SBS starts airing the final installment tonight.

The broadcasting channel kicked off a trio of Hur's dramas in April with "I Love You," followed up with the hit series "Sikgaek" in June and will now complete the set with "Tazza (The War of Flowers)."

Like "Sikgaek," the original comic series was already made into a blockbuster movie in 2006. The film wowed audiences with its ruthless plotline, superbly executed by actor Cho Seung-woo and actress Kim Hye-soo, becoming the second-biggest film of the year. The small screen version plans on repeating that kind of success.

The drama's formula to success lies in a revamped storyline, an infusion of humor and a brand new character. Planning to capitalize on the riveting tale of a skilled cardsharp -- or "tazza" in Korean -- named Goni, the bare bones of the plot remains intact, with favorite characters Madame Jung and Ah Gwi still in the script.

200809150006.jpg

▲The main cast of Tazza, from left to right, Jang Hyuk, Han Ye-seul, Kim Min-jun and Kang Sung-yeon [Olive Nine]

Cardsharp Young-min, played by actor Kim Min-jun, will stir things up, radically changing the structure of the story.

"This character is not in the original version," said the 32-year old actor at the press conference held last week, who likened Young-min to villain Anakin Skywalker a.k.a. Darth Vader from "Star Wars."

Kim, who won women over in SBS' "Lovers in Praha" (2005), takes on the complex role of a high school dropout and close friend of Goni. Attempting to raise money to pay for his grandmother's surgery, he ends up losing at a round of "hwatu" -- an Asian card game -- and crosses over to the dark side, learning the tricks of the trade from top cardsharp Ah Gwi.

Actor Jang Hyuk will be joining in on the game as Goni. Having showcased his mastery of the art of mixing comedy with action as a wannabe thug in the flick "Jungle Juice" (2002), the 31-year old actor promises to draw laughs.

"I created my own new character," said Jang at the press conference.

Unlike Cho Seung-woo's artful portrayal of Goni in the movie, which was serious, dark and sharp, Jang's hero is bright, outgoing and downright funny, relying on street smarts and talent rather than a suave demeanor to get him out of trouble. Even the way Jang runs is very Chaplin-esque, making him perfect for a TV version, which needs to keep things rated PG.

"I received gambling lessons," said Jang, who admits that in real life he would make a terrible cardsharp. "My teacher told me I did not have a money-making face. A tazza's face needs to be ordinary, unnoticeable."

Though Jang may not have the face of a pro, he is excited to prove to audiences that he can take on the role. And so is actress Kang Sung-yeon.

Well aware that she has some big shoes to fill as femme fatale Madame Jung, Kang remained confident that her interpretation of the character would be radically different.

"Actress Kim Hye-soo left such a strong impression as Madame Jung in the movie, but the drama is different," said the 32-year old actress. "I will be showing her human side, making her someone that people can relate to."

Another actress will be trying her luck at gambling in the drama version as Goni's childhood sweetheart, Young Min's first love and Madame Jung's apprentice. Han Ye-seul, who rose to fame in the hit drama "Fantastic Couple" (2006), is taking on the crucial role.

Veteran actor Kim Ghab-soo will be playing the ruthless cardsharp Ah Gwi, while actor Son Hyun-joo will be bringing in the laughs as Goni's sidekick, Go Gwang-ryul.

"Tazza" airs its first episode tonight on SBS at 9:55 p.m.

By Jean Oh

(oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Guest kdramafanusa

Continued failure to cast Korean “Hanadan” keeps super-idol boys’ hopes alive

September 14th, 2008 // by javabeans

hydkrlogodr4.jpg

There’s no real new info in this report (well, not about the points we care most about, i.e., casting), but I’m sure people are curious as to the progress of this drama, its production, casting, etc. In short: Stuff is still in limbo, but at least the drama has a writer and a director now.

“Korean ‘Hana Yori Dango,’ a fete for super-idol groups”

The Korean version of Hana Yori Dango [boys Before Flowers] appears it will become the battle turf of top idol groups.

The Korean version will be broadcast on KBS2 in December, with star PD Jeon Ki-sang at the helm, who got his start with Bodyguard and directed drama series Delightful Girl Chun-hyang and My Girl. Writer will be Yoon Ji-ryun, who penned scripts for the teen drama/sitcom Sharp #3.

Director: Ooh, good move. Jeon Ki-sang sank terribly with the illogical mess that was Witch Amusement, but that drama was really cursed with bad writing, not directing. I remember watching Delightful Girl Chun-hyang for the first time and being struck within the first ten minutes with how fresh, energetic, and creative the directing was, particularly for a kdrama but really for any television work in general. Given the material, tone, and genre of this drama, he’s the perfect choice, really.

Writer: Gulp. The scriptwriter for Sharp, really? That’s like bringing in a team of Nonstop scribes, which is to say: a total waste of your director. Then again, all writers have to get their starts somewhere, so I’m not going to write her off immediately. Suffice to say I remain hopeful though her resumé does not inspire confidence.

Hana Yori Dango, a drama that featured young heartthrob male leads and one girl, has enjoyed widespread popularity after being produced in both Taiwan and Japan. Furthermore, the young men starring in Densha Otoko caused a stir all through Asia among its female fans. Thus it seems the Korean version will have to mobilize all its best young idol stars.

Already, reports of SS501’s Kim Hyun-joong being cast in Boys Before Flowers became widely talked-about; recently, talk has spread of a particular idol star referred merely as “K” being a strong candidate for a leading role. Another popular idol-group member’s name has risen as a hopeful.

What this really says is: “Nope, nobody cast yet. We are tossing names out to keep interest up in the series, but we really have no john teshing clue what to do because omghugeexpecationscrap.”

Hopes that members of rival idol groups may be cast to act opposite each other in a “dream showdown” show the possibility of materializing. Therefore the rise of these famous idol-star names as candidates for Boys Before Flowers is seen as a win-win strategy for both the drama producers and the stars themselves.

With Boys Before Flowers attracting much interest beyond Korea, including China, Japan, and Southeast Asia, one must take care to make the best possible choice in casting its Korean stars. With these idols set to step into the wider Asian market, there’s no better vehicle for that purpose than Boys Before Flowers. On top of that, Korean idols who look as though they’ve popped right out of the pages of the manhwa have a high appeal.

The drama series, produced by Group Eight, was officially finalized with KBS on the 10th. A rep for the drama revealed that the series would premiere the last week of December as a Monday-Tuesday series.

CEO of Group Eight, Song Byung-joon, said, “The Korean version of Boys Before Flowers will be a drama to exceed expectations, and we’ll make sure that, as a representative of our country, it does not fall short of the Taiwanese or Japanese versions.

Via Newsen

Guest kdramafanusa

Wedding plans off, drama plans on

September 16th, 2008 // by javabeans

200809161218261114_1.jpg

Almost-38-year-old actor (39 by Korean standards) Jung Jun-ho had announced his wedding plans following the successful finish of his last drama, the romantic comedy series The Last Scandal of My Life.

Well, the whirlwind romance is over and the wedding is off.

The couple had initially intended to marry this year, but had pushed back plans once already due to Jung’s filming schedule. At the time, he’d explained that the date would be set for early next year, because of his work schedule and also because of the health of his father, who had recently undergone surgery for stomach cancer.

His management company rep didn’t have any further information regarding the cancellation of the engagement, saying, “As this is a private matter, we at the management company are also waiting for his official statement.”

Meanwhile, plans for the second season of The Last Scandal of My Life are still on, with a projected November airdate.

Via My Daily

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Twitch Sept 22, 2008

KBS to Can Mon/Tue Dramas Starting from this Fall?

Posted by X at 10:40pm.

Posted in TV , Asia.

21855211885940fq7.jpg

I bet talks of “we’ll take the country back after 10 years of their rule” sounded like election-day showmanship to a lot of people a mere 6-7 months ago, but it’s becoming increasingly obvious it wasn’t just empty talk. After showing former KBS president Jeong Yeon-Ju the door and cordially asking him to check it on his way out (lest it would hit him right… there), the 2MB government is continuing with their scorched-earth approach to reforms in the broadcasting sector. One of the biggest and most controversial would be that of passing from a single entity dealing with network TV advertisement (the state-funded KOBACO, founded in 1981) to a complete privatization of the sector (read: turning TV into the Chaebol’s new toy), but that’s just talk for the trade journals. What’s more interesting is that, among the reorganization proposals for this Fall Season, the idea of replacing dramas with other more “educational” programs on Monday and Tuesday night could be passed. Reasons? They want to strengthen 공익성 (the sense of public interest) as a public broadcaster, and low rated miniseries losing money don’t help a bit. Since the “people” want it, we’re getting prop… fair and balanced current events shows instead.

This would mean that if the proposal is accepted, Noh Hee-Kyung’s upcoming 그들이 사는 세상 (Worlds Within), which is set to start on October 26, might end up becoming KBS’ last Mon/Tue miniseries, at least until the end of the current government’s term—they can’t move it to Wed/Thu, as 바람의 나라 (Kingdom of the Wind) will last until early next year. It’s a peculiar decision, particularly as KBS Media made a ton of money at the recent BCWW (BroadCast WorldWide), with a big jump in sales to Japan, even in the unusual form of Daily Dramas. KBS dramas in this timeslot have suffered in the ratings ever since 주몽 (Jumong)‘s dominance started in 2006, but this would be a pretty drastic decision. Yet, if you’ve been following Korean politics for a while, this might just end up being another astute way of “circumventing” the public’s attention with a big spectacle, so that they’ll end up ignoring a much bigger issue. That would be the upcoming termination of a current events show, 시사투나잇 (Sisa Tonight)—sisa means current evens—which wasn’t exactly the brown-nosing type when it comes to praising the new emperor’s clothes. By attracting controversy over the drama termination, including what’s likely to be strong protests from drama people (even those working for MBC, SBS or third-party production companies), they can go ahead and quietly cut dissenting voices in a much more “dangerous” field, and then cancel any plans of terminating dramas, “bowing down” to public fervor at the end. So now mad cows and trendy dramas have something in common.

Hey, as 孫子兵法 (The Art of War) teaches, 兵不厭詐. All wars are based upon deception.

[PD Journal] [MyDaily] [Star News]

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Times 09-23-2008 16:25

Korea's Sweetheart Moon Becomes Mysterious Artist

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

080923_p14_korea1.jpg

Actress Moon Geunyoung will play Joseon Kingdom painter in “The Painter of Wind.”

Actress Moon Geun-young started her acting career at the age of 12 in a low budget film "On the Way'' in 1999. The aspiring actress then appeared as the young Eun-Seo in the hit drama "Autumn in My Heart'' the following year.

Now, 21, Korea's sweetheart is returning to the television screen for the first time in five years as a gifted artist who lives as a man to figure out the mysterious death of her family during the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910) in the drama "The Painter of Wind.''

Although Moon only appeared in her first shows as the younger characters of already famous actresses including Song Hye-gyo in "Autumn'' and Lee Mi-yeon in "Empress Myeongseong (2001),'' she left an impression among the Korean public as A young, pretty actress who could act.

She soon started to play the heroine in films and dramas, and eventually became known as "Korea's little sister,'' especially with her cute role as the young bride in the movie "My Little Bride (2004)'' co-starring with heartthrob Kim Rae-won.

She proved once again that she was one of Korea's favorite actresses as reporters and cameramen filled the press conference of the drama

"The Painter of Wind.'' Dressed in a long navy gown, she waved to the cameras with her trademark shy yet ravishing smile.

"It feels awkward in a dress, I'm so used to being a man. Even my voice seems to be more like a boy than a girl,'' she said laughing.

080923_p14_korea2.jpg

Moon Geun-young, left, and Park Shin-yang will star in "The Painter of Wind,'' which will start airing today on SBS. / Courtesy of SBS

Moon plays legendary artist Shin Yun-bok, while star actor Park Shin-yang will act as fellow artist and mentor Kim Hong-do. Based on the bestselling novel of the same title by Lee Jung-myung, Shin is born as a girl, but due to restrictions of education and other activities among women, she lives as a man her whole life, later finding herself in love with her tutor Kim.

"I'm more used to Western paintings, but I got to learn so much about Shin and Korean traditional paintings through the drama. I learned painting both in practice and theory, and I came to realize how hard it is to paint with a brush. Large strokes are easy, but it's so hard to show thin lines and describe the smallest details. But that was what Shin did best during his time,'' she said.

Painting was not the only thing Moon learned through the drama: she learned to tone down her image from the usual fun and bright to a more romantic and mysterious one.

"I chose this work because I like the calm and mysterious atmosphere. I didn't want to be called `Korea's little sister' anymore. When we first started shooting, I think I tried too hard to change my cute image. But now, I'm more comfortable. I've learned to respect my assets and try out for new ones steadily,'' she said.

From a young empress to a high school bride and now a painter, Moon is up to the task, both as a favorite among television and movie fans and also as a talented actor who can bring a character into life in her own style.

"The Painter of Wind'' airs today at 9:55 p.m. on SBS.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Another idol star turns actor

September 23rd, 2008 // by javabeans

200809212144464.jpg

The prettiest pretty boy of DBSK, Jaejoong, is taking the plunge into acting.

He takes the lead in “Heaven’s Mail Deliverer,” a joint Korea-Japan collaborative “telecinema” — to be produced simultaneously for television and cinema — directed by Lee Hyung-min, the PD of the drama series I’m Sorry, I Love You and writer Kitagawa Eriko of the Kimura Takuya vehicle A Million Stars Falling from the Sky. {Kitagawa Eriko 北川悦吏子 wrote many classic J-dramas including Beautiful Life, Long Vacation, Say You Love Me, ...}

The plot is said to be about a messenger between the present world and the afterworld, and will form the first part in what looks to be a series of stories. His female co-star has not yet been cast.

Because this project will be released in both Korea and Japan through various media — theater, television, DVD — the production company explained that they are taking care in considering Hallyu stars for their lead roles. Other Japanese writers involved in the project include Nakanozo Miho, Inoue Yumiko, Yokota Rie.

The project doesn’t have a definite release date, but is aiming for early 2009. I can’t say I’m totally with this “telecinema” idea, but you’ve got to hand it to them for being experimental with formats and distribution models.

Via Today Korea, JK News

Guest kdramafanusa

Triple is officially awesome

September 25th, 2008 // by javabeans

2008092523008167183_1.jpg

…and it hasn’t even aired yet!

That’s it. Triple has just shot up — over Song Hye-gyo and Hyun Bin, over the Korean Hana Yori Dango — as my new most anticipated drama. Because on top of casting Lee Seon-kyun, then following with Yoon Kye-sang, they’ve now rounded out their lead trio with…

Kang Ji-hwan!

I don’t know if I could’ve picked a dreamier ideal dream lineup. Sure, there are a few other actors I’d put in my “top picks” bag, but these three are at the top of the list of those still doing dramas.

And lest I sound like a hormonally driven fangirl (which, hey, don’t judge), all three are actually — gasp! — good actors.

They all bring a different kind of energy, which should be interesting to see together. Kang Ji-hwan has done both slapstick and tearjerker — he can be goofy and comically spot-on, but turn on a dime into heart-wrenchingly intense. Lee Seon-kyun has spent much of his recent career playing to type as the reserved, thoughtful introvert. And Yoon Kye-sang can be both outrageous and wonderfully emotive.

Kang Ji-hwan will take on the role of a short-track speed skater (talk about upgrading, huh?), while Yoon Kye-sang and Lee Seon-kyun are ad-agency execs. With the three male stars being so much older than young newbie actress Min Hyo-rin, who barely registers a blip on the radar in comparison, I’m starting to think (hope?) that the tone of Triple won’t skew quite as young (read: green and awkward) as previously feared.

Now we can only wait to see what Coffee Prince producer/director Lee Yoon-jung whips up. For the first time, I look on Triple without dread.

Via OSEN

kdramafanusa,

WOW! at first i WANTED to watch TRIPLE because of YKS now that KJH added up the TENSION i will really look forward to it!!! WOW!!! really happy!!! :lol:

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Twitch Sep 26, 2008

[FIRST LOOK] 바람의 화원 (Painter of the Wind)

Posted by X at 2:19pm.

Posted in TV , Asia.

It’s hard to start when there’s nothing on that canvas. It’s hard for a writer, no matter if it’s a pro we’re dealing with or not, imagine for a painter. Hell, imagine, for instance, what it would be for a broadcaster. What SBS did in 1991 was exactly that. Competition by then had sort of become a moot issue, since with only two stations worth mentioning (MBC and KBS), and each enjoying various periods of boom and famine, it was only a matter of who would end up enjoying near total domination, it wasn’t a real conflict. But when the third choice arrived, things started to change. SBS bought (literally) the best writers and PDs from the two other major stations, breaking decade-long exclusive contracts. They attracted the biggest stars, simply throwing money at the wall. They slowly but surely got several local broadcasters under their wings, such as Busan’s KNN, Daegu’s TBC, Daejeon’s TJB and Gwangju’s KBC, airing what was then known as just 서울방송 (Seoul Broadcasting System) in some of the biggest markets outside the capital. Signal was still poor in many areas, and along with aggressive “appropriation” techniques, the political slant of the channel was always obvious, with Taeyoung Group holding 30% of the shares at the start. Not exactly the most artistic of starts for Korea’s first private channel, but it worked.

What probably hasn’t worked incredibly well during the last 17 years is creating an image for itself. SBS has been known mostly for its decidedly right-wing slant on the news/current events side, but when it comes to dramas, all you remember is big potboilers throwing a lot of money at the wall hoping it would stick. Think of manhwa adaptations like 아스팔트 사나이 (The Asphalt Man) in 1995, with Lee Byung-Heon, Jung Woo-Sung, Choi Jin-Shil and Lee Young-Ae. Think of 올인 (All In) 8 years later, and the endless list of Korean wave trendy dramas shot overseas and written by people who shouldn’t touch scripts with a ten foot pole. Sad, because if you look at SBS’ first 17 years, there’s actually a few gems you can single out. Two particularly stand out in the 90s, and they both not surprisingly have something to do with history. One was the legendary 모래시계 (The Sandglass), the other the not as famous – but just as good – 1996 sageuk 임꺽정 (Im Kkeok-Jeong). You’ll find plenty (well, relatively) of watchable series between 1991 and today, but these two stand out as the only masterpieces this channel produced in the last 17 years. So much for painting the canvas with something distinctive.

It’s a peculiar problem, because everything the channel does, they’re pigeonholed even before the start. One good recent case would be 왕과 나 (The King and I), which never enjoyed any chance despite being far superior to 이산 (Yi San), and sort of self-imploded under pressure created by competition, internal struggles, bad press, unrealistic expectations from the public and idiotic decision by its producers, Olive9 on top. It’s no secret SBS is the most “commercial” of all stations in Korea, with really very little space for diversity, or anything escaping from the usual populist canon. Yet, the last two years have started showing some progress, at least on the diversity front. Social satire like 강남엄마 따라잡기 (Gangnam Mom) was something you couldn’t even dream to see on SBS just a few years ago, and despite the fact they periodically shoot themselves in the foot, things like 비천무 (Bichunmoo), 달콤한 나의 도시 (My Sweet Seoul), 사랑해 (I Love U) and last in line 신의 저울 (The Scale of Providence) show not all SBS produces is, well, crap. Problem, of course, is sageuk.

Ever since its founding and 1991’s 유심초 (Yushimcho) by Shin Bong-Seung, the channel has tried and tried to carve its own niche, something a little distanced from KBS’ sober and traditionalist authentic sageuk, and MBC’s grass roots fusion – or anything not dealing with kings, after their historical orgasm in the 80s with 조선왕조500년 (500 Years of Joseon). They could have found their own space if they followed up 1998’s entertaining 홍길동 (Hong Gil-Dong) with the third and final “chapter” in the heroic thieves series which started with Im Kkeok-Jeong, but not too surprisingly they dropped the ball. They did end up making 장길산 (Jang Gil-San) a full six years later, but the momentum was lost already. The station did find amazing success with 2001’s 여인천하 (Ladies of the Palace), but it was just way too loud and over the top to leave any lasting impression. Most of their other efforts in the genre suffered from bad scripts, even worse acting, and laughable production values. Which brings us to the present.

Sageuk as it was known – anyone who started watching the genre from 대장금 (Dae Jang Geum), Korean or foreigners as they may be, don’t really realize what a proper historical drama is – remains nothing more than a dying genre, replaced by fusion sageuk, that is an excuse to dress up trendy dramas with pretty clothes, in most cases. The idea at the origin of this “fusion” concept was to mix two completely different elements, and while retaining their distinctive uniqueness coming up with a sum in which each completed the other. For instance, Lee Byung-Hoon was able to talk about certain historical figures without the need to bother with kings in 허준 (Hur Joon) and 상도 (Sang Do). The two shows focused heavily on the two’s professions (physician, merchant), added some historical details, and packaged everything into an easy to follow story. It was a little different from the sageuk people were used to see, but not enough to alienate them. On the other hand, it was different enough that those who always neglected the genre (younger viewers) finally started paying attention. That fine balance between old and new, history and new dramatic sensibilities is what made fusion sageuk interesting. But today that balance is lost.

To explain why, one would need a decent historical background, something today’s younger viewers seem to lack in droves, and one of the reasons producers get away with it (those complaining are always grumpy old bastards, or… ahem, slightly younger. Grumpy bastards, that is). Not 주몽 (Jumong) nor 황진이 (Hwang Jin-Yi), not even supposedly “traditional” sageuk like 대조영 (Dae Jo-Young) have much to do with history, which is why any new sageuk appearing inside production lists always brings veteran fans the good old cold sweats: how badly are they going to screw it up this time? 일지매 (Iljimae) was enough already, did we need to bother a sacred cow like Kim Hong-Do as well? Apparently yes. Watching the first two episodes of SBS’ latest tentative at finally making one decent fusion sageuk, 바람의 화원 (Painter of the Wind), one suddenly understands why Lee Byung-Hoon was so obsessed with the subject, enough that he ended up half-assing it on Yi San. This thing… good grace. It’s beautiful.

When I say that, I just don’t mean that Moon Chae-Won is kind of hot (though spending a few hours in acting school wouldn’t hurt), the art design is top notch, and that I love the way painting is visualized on the screen as if it was the painter’s imagination. No, I mean the entire production, from music to CG, from cinematography to the costumes, from the research behind all the paintings beyond superficial notions (several experts on the matter offered their insight during the making of the show, and the paintings are just stunning), and the little touches in the dialogue and characterization showing newcomer Lee Eun-Young didn’t just study a couple of books to write this, but that she had knowledge and historical consciousness of her own. You can smell the difference between this and, say, Yi San looking at the way the relationship between King Jeongjo and Queen Mother Jeongsun is handled. In the former, it was a gloriously idiotic mess of cliches and superficiality, whereas here, even if they’ve been on a total of 10 minutes out of two entire episodes (total of around two hours and a half), you can see that everything feels right. That there’s thinly veiled tension between Jeongjo and Byeokpa stalwart Queen Mother Jeongsun, the woman many think was one of the major culprits responsible for Crown Prince Sado’s (Jeongjo’s father) tragic death. This is the same relationship masterfully crafted by last year’s 한성별곡-正 (Conspiracy in the Court), and since as the drama goes on the focus will exactly go back to the Prince Sado accident, one can’t help but be excited about this.

No, it’s just the whole thing that’s exciting. The idea from the drama comes from Lee Jung-Myeong’s interesting novel of the same name, which made an interesting point, or at least used a very palatable possibility to make good drama: Danwon Kim Hong-Do and Hyewon Shin Yoon-Book were two of the very best painters Joseon had seen, and ironically lived during the same period, and frequented the Dohwaseo (Royal Bureau of Painting) at the same time. There were quite a few paintings from the two with almost suspiciously similar subjects. Yet, strange enough, you’ll be drowning with material about Danwon if you look for it, whereas Hyewon’s life is clouded in mystery. Kim ended up winning Jeongjo’s trust (one of the three kings he served) along with some important positions in the court, whereas Shin Yoon-Bok was expelled from the Dohwaseo, and spent his life dealing with very pungent satire about the people around him. It was like an enfant terrible, too provocative, innovative, creative for the era he was living in. Enough to start wondering, what if it wasn’t just his painting style to blame? What if he was in truth a woman, trying to disguise herself as a man among the strict Neo-Confucian creed which colored Joseon’s society for centuries? A wild conjecture at best, but not entirely worthless, particularly when it comes to drama.

You can imagine where this could be going, but you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how un-trendy drama like this show feels. It has class, the kind of elegance something like Hwang Jin-Yi could only dream of. It has its silly moments (at times a little too silly for my liking, but in the writer’s favor, they never become useless, as they’re always tied to the main story), but it rarely breaks the flow, and when it gets going it feels… finally, like a real drama, not Teletubbies with hanboks prancing around so that simpletons can tell Momma they’ve finally watched a sageuk. There’s complexity you can’t just solve by rewatching the show, it almost forces you to go back to the history books or documentaries to refresh your memory. For instance, the drama takes one of Shin’s most famous paintings, 기다림 (Wait), which had nothing to do with Queen Mother Jeongsun (never mentioned in the original novel), and attaches palace intrigue to it, involving all the major characters around a single point. It’s very simple, but brilliantly handled. And if writer Lee, who comes from Chungmuro but is impressive as a sageuk newcomer, keeps up with the intricate synopsis (quite meaty, but they always are. On paper) and can actually connect all the dots within the next 18 episodes, this is truly going to turn into an interesting experience.

Of course, not everything is perfect. The reason why Park Shin-Yang has said to the press “this isn’t a sageuk” is probably because he’s acting as if this wasn’t one. Watch 쩐의 전쟁 (War of Money) or this, it’s the same tone and delivery, same facial expression, same gestures and posture. Park does have his own, unique charm, but frankly when he has to carry the drama on his shoulders things become a little risky. Also, sometimes the beautiful music tends to get a little too showy for its own good (I’m watching a drama, not a Glenn Gould concert. A’ight?). Also please, please, let’s keep characters whose sole purpose is to be funny away from anything important, since they’re not. Still, Bae Soo-Bin as King Jeongjo doesn’t disappoint, and Im Ji-Eun, returning to sageuk for the first time since 2003’s 어사 박문수 (Royal Emissary Park Moon-Soo), is just wonderful as Queen Mother Jeongsun. But the real gem is Moon Geun-Young. This is not her first sageuk, as she played the younger version of Lee Mi-Yeon in Jung Ha-Yeon’s 2001 명성황후 (The Last Empress)—better than Lee Mi-Yeon, at that – but she’s just magnificent here, the best acting of her career so far. If you watched this without knowing who she was, or going in without any background knowledge, you’d seriously have a hard time realizing it’s actually a woman playing this character. Her tomboy-like energy and panache is a joy to watch, and perhaps the reason, despite the few warts which should surely pop along the way, this might actually become one of the few sageuk worthy of their name this year....

RATING Ep. 2 of 2 aired (20 Total): 8

바람의 화원 (Painter of the Wind)

SBS – Wed/Thu Nights

PD: 장태유 (Jang Tae-Yoo)

WRITER: 이은영 (Lee Eun-Young)

CAST: 박신양 (Park Shin-Yang), 문근영 (Moon Geun-Young), 임지은 (Im Ji-Eun), 배수빈 (Bae Soo-Bin), 김응수 (Kim Eung-Soo), 이준 (Lee Joon), 안석환 (Ahn Seok-Hwan)

Clips courtesy of SBS/Drama House

Painter of the Wind OP

Painter of the Wind Clip

Guest kdramafanusa

The current drama landscape: An overview

September 28th, 2008 // by javabeans

wind37219c8dxf2.jpgpainterpost121eaacvk5.jpg

It seems we suddenly have a ton of new dramas out, and I was starting to feel a bit lost. So heres a brief overview of the dramas currently airing, some of which Im following regularly and some that I havent committed to sticking with yet.

For the series I plan to keep watching, Ill probably follow up with more in-depth posts, but for now Im taking a general, overall look at the current lineup. (The two dramas pictured above, Kingdom of Wind and The Painter of Wind, are probably the two best series airing currently, but for different reasons.)

But lets do this chronologically, shall we?

MONDAY-TUESDAY DRAMAS

Ratings-wise, East of Eden is winning Mondays and Tuesdays, clobbering the romance Love & Marriage and taking a comfortable lead over Tazza (although it had a considerable advantage over Tazza in starting several weeks earlier).

East of Eden (MBC)

eden3725704fba6.jpg

When I watched the first episode of East of Eden, I thought it sucked. It was alternately melodramatic and interminably boring. (The boring/melodramatic dichotomy continues in following episodes, but while its to a lesser degree in latter installments, Episode 1 was almost painfully dull.) But now that Ive seen the first six episodes, I find that I dont hate East of Eden. In fact, there are some parts I find downright compelling.

Audiences are enjoying the grand melodrama that characterizes Eden, and being able to watch the gorgeous sculpted features of Song Seung-heon after such a long time away from television cant hurt, either. But imo, while Song certainly has a pretty face, his presence is not the draw; the early success of Eden owes a huuuuge debt to the young Kim Bum, establishing the character of young Dong-chul (later played by Song).

The first five episodes take place in Dong-chuls childhood and adolescence, and Kim Bum positively carries the entire show on his young, untried shoulders. Hes fierce, vulnerable, loving, desperate, and scrappy all at once. He emotes with his whole body, and conveys the character so thoroughly that its hard not to feel for him. What a long way hes come from being the goofy little kid on High Kick to being so dynamic here, on the cusp of manhood. And then Song Seung-heon showed up and I got bored. (Issues of acting talent aside, Song just doesnt embody the same intensity as Kim Bum; he doesnt dig deep and invest himself as wholly. I always feel like he starts his work on top of a base veneer of vanity.)

Unfortunately, despite having some heart-tugging moments, the biggest irritant for me is that Eden gets damn repetitive. The scene that brings you to tears the first time might wring out a tear or two the second time around, but the third, fourth, fifth When youre basically putting forth slightly altered iterations of the same scene over and over and over, it gets tiring. And since most of these scenes are the tearjerker scenes, it also starts feeling emotionally manipulative. The acting is good, but there are only so many ways you can say the same thing. And there is So. Much. Damn. Crying. To be fair, I cried along with the characters to a point. After a while, youre like, This again?

Verdict: This is a show I might have continued to follow if it were on TV every day and I left the program on in the background while I did the dishes. Or I might have continued it if it were a short, concise miniseries wrapping up at 16 episodes. I mightve also continued had Kim Bum somehow stayed longer. But I find that despite the aspects I did like, I dont have it in me to stick out this kind of overwrought, tearjerking, grandiose drama for 50 episodes, especially when I find Song Seung-heons Dong-chul only a fraction as compelling as Kim Bums.

Love & Marriage (KBS)

marriagewall127d24cxc4.jpg

Since Im recapping Love & Marriage, I wont go into too much detail now. Suffice to say that this drama rides on the charm of Kim Min-hee, the looks of Kim Ji-hoon, and the hilarious, offbeat scenarios engineered by Goong scriptwriter In Eun-ah.

Love & Marriage isnt reinventing the romantic-comedy wheel, and thus far theres not a lot to get emotional about but its a sleeper surprise (at least for me), displaying an effervescent, flirty charm that appeals to those of us who like our dramas speedy, fun, and laugh-inducing.

Verdict: Oh, you know I dig it.

Tazza (SBS)

tazza212b7aeasq0.jpg

Tazza is less intense than Id thought it would be, showing off a glib slickness exemplified by Jang Hyuks freewheeling character. I think Jang is perfect for these rascally guys he is starting to get typecast playing, but since he fits the bill, its for good enough reason.

Han Ye-seul does better with extreme or exaggerated characters; shes not exactly a nuanced actress. But shes been gradually improving (she was almost unwatchable in the Nonstop series), and although I dont think her rise in visibility after Fantasy Couple was because of skilled acting, it was because she carried off the outrageous character with an endearing panache. Here, her Nan-sook is a feisty character with a heavy rural accent, which lends itself to better to Hans strengths because I find her most watchable when shes being a little left of center (I tend to cringe when shes playing a scene straight).

Theres also something really cute about the way the childhood love between Nan-sook and Jang Hyuks Go-ni is expressed. Theyve done a fair job of establishing them as friends as children, and the years spent apart until their reunion in their late teens have only made their hearts grow fonder. Their relationship dynamic fits every first-love cliché as well as the good-girl, bad-boy cliché but it still makes me smile.

Plus, in its first few episodes, Tazza also showcases some early-90s fashions, MC Hammer and New Kids On the Block, and a nightclub dance-off. Kitsch city!

Oh yeah, and theres also that my best friend tried to save his family and ended up ruining mine angle theyve got going, too.

Verdict: Still not convinced either way. Will keep a tentative eye on the series, enjoying it while I can and dropping it if my interest wanes.

WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY DRAMAS

But Wednesday-Thursday is when things really get good.

I think Beethoven Virus is at a slight handicap (quality-wise), because its up against two excellent series. This doesnt mean Beethoven is bad; its just that the two others are superior to everything else right now.

But on the upside, Beethoven Virus is winning the ratings battle, even if its not by a huge stretch. Beethoven is creeping up in the mid- to upper teens, Kingdom of the Wind is in mid-teen territory, and The Painter of Wind which premiered the latest and has aired the fewest episodes got off to a 12% start.

Beethoven Virus (MBC)

virus122f6c59qk7.jpg

Ive been behind on this series, and based on early reports of hate from some people, I was pre-emptively feeling disappointed. But Im glad I watched the series for myself, because Im really enjoying this drama. At least, Ive really liked the first three episodes. Perhaps it helped that I didnt have many expectations going in.

Like Sevenses said, Beethoven Virus can get a little predictable, but theres enough about the series that feels fresh that I dont mind a little plot predictability. And by fresh I dont mean wildly ingenious thats rare for broadcast television in any form but rather that it incorporates a stylish flair that I appreciate. Kind of how My Sweet Seoul wasnt exactly a breakthrough novelty, but set itself apart with its atmosphere. The director makes occasional use of jump cuts and composite shots that I dig they add a stylized feel and a jolt of energy to the scenes. And I love the classical music featured, although I wish theyd actually do more with the classical-music theme.

Kim Myung-min, coming off a career high with White Tower, is again the intense, commanding actor weve come to expect of him. What I LOVE about his portrayal of Maestro Kang is in how he makes him rude borderline socially defunct but also relatable. His character says some truly boorish things sometimes not necessarily false, but cruel in spirit and in tone but Kims genius is in making his extreme snobbery and contempt for people stem from a place of wild, nearly debilitating insecurity. The instant we connect with his Salieri complex Maestro Kang hates geniuses, because he was overshadowed by one his character opens up to all these wonderful, lovely and ugly complex shades. Vintage Kim Myung-min.

Yall may know how I was sorely disappointed with Jang Geun-seok since his performance in Hong Gil Dong, but Im so pleased that I like him 100% more as trumpeter genius Gun-woo. Maybe even more than 100% better. He is the Mozart to Maestros Salieri (the second Mozart in his life, actually), and Gun-woos own initial detachment and disinterest also mask an inner longing. But since hes the genius, the natural who doesnt have to try as hard as Kang, Gun-woo is the perfect foil for Maestro Kang, his complete antithesis.

Lee Jias acting yes, a little exaggeratey doesnt bother me (yet?). Note: what DOES bother me is how her fake violin playing is atrocious. Really, really fake. To be fair, the other musicians are also pretty fakey, but string instruments are particularly difficult more so than wind instruments, for instance to feign skill in faux-playing.

Verdict: Me likey so far. Now Ive got to catch up on all the great recaps!

Kingdom of the Wind (KBS)

wind2631ab7bpb8.jpg

Gorgeous and epic.

Although Kingdom of the Wind and The Painter of Wind share some similarities (both are Wed.-Thurs. dramas, both are sageuks, and both titles bear the word wind), theyre not really similar at all, content-wise. While both are shot in a beautifully cinematic way, Kingdom is a war epic/conspiracy thriller, while Painter is period romance. Its almost too bad they share the same timeslot, even if audiences these days can easily partake of dramas via the internet.

Kingdom of the Wind is characterized by a beautiful score, sprawling battle scenes, and lots of political intrigue, for those of you who like your historical dramas chock-full of conspiracies and assassination plots. Its well-acted, beautifully lit, and well-directed. There are hints of a dark fantasy-like element, but from what Ive seen, it doesnt take it far enough to call the series fantasy unlike, say, Legend, which was much more a hybrid fantasy-historical.

Verdict: I am duly impressed, but I wont be recapping this. Its a series that deserves attention, though, so if anybody feels a desire to recap the series, I hereby offer up my webspace here. Takers?

The Painter of Wind (SBS)

painter18333073sh7.jpg

On the other hand, The Painter of Wind shows off an entirely different artistic sensibility in its delicacy. While Kingdom of the Wind is dark, Painter is picturesque, and finds itself in its details the close shots of the moving paintbrush, the lingering look in a characters eyes. It also boasts a lovely background score and a director who uses it to its best effect.

I wouldnt be too quick to call Moon Geun-young revelatory in her performance as a woman masquerading as a man in order to receive art training not yet but I think we can expect good things from her as this series progresses. Like Yoon Eun-hye before her, she is almost too pretty to pass off as male, but actually does a credible job with mannerisms, line delivery, and deepened voice (especially considering how much more high-pitched her normal speaking voice is).

The thing that sets The Painter of Wind apart from most sageuks is that it doesnt (appear to) have a political focus. While the court and politics are featured, the main plot of Painter isnt dictated by power (comma, the acquisition of). Its a character and relationship study.

Based on the first two episodes, it looks like the series is going to start off lighthearted Episode 1 was surprisingly upbeat and funnier than Id expected. I am guessing the series will progress into more emotionally fraught territory as we delve into these characters. Park Shin-yang lays out the development of the relationship that will flower between master and student in the opening voiceover, saying, She was my student my teacher my friend and my beloved.

Verdict: Same deal as Kingdom. I plan to watch, but wont be recapping. But if you feel up to the task, Id be happy to give someone else a stab at it.

AND THE REST

scale1353572ib3.jpggyears135d614jx0.jpgyuri2365a31fc1.jpg

Scale of Providence is SBSs new Friday drama. Centered around the world of lawyers and judges (the scales in the title refer to the scales of justice), it looks to be shaping up into a legal thriller and relationship drama. It may require more watching to get into, but I found the first episode on the boring side.

As for weekend fare, MBC offers Moon Soris (Legend) fifty-episode drama Golden Years of My Life along with My Woman as its Saturday-Sunday shows.

KBS has two long-running successes with Angry Mom and the historical Great King Sejong (well, Sejong isnt a ratings bonanza, but its holding steady, while Mom continues to do extremely well in the 30%-40% range).

And SBS, in addition to its long-running hit First Wives Club, brings Yoon So-yi (Goodbye Solo) and Lee Jin-wook (Rivals) together in another fifty-episoder that unfolds around romance, career, and marriage.

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2008.09.30

Stellar period piece brings in poor ratings

Despite its top notch cast, stellar script and near cinematic perfection, SBS' new Wednesday and Thursday night series "The Painter of Wind" failed to win audiences over last week.

The period piece drew in nationwide viewer ratings of 10.6 percent (AGB Nielsen Media Research) following its first episode, which aired last Wednesday. Its low ratings placed it below rival dramas MBC's "Beethoven Virus" and KBS' "The Land of the Wind," which scored nationwide ratings of 16.5 percent and 15.9 percent (AGB Nielsen Media Research) respectively.

The second episode of "The Painter of Wind" fared only slightly better, with a mere 0.5 percent increase in ratings (AGB Nielsen Media Research).

But the drama's poor track record hardly does it justice. While ratings may reflect a viewer's preferences, they do not represent a series' level of quality. Nowhere is this more evident than in the case of "The Painter of Wind."

Based on the bestselling novel of the same name, this drama -- which reinterprets and rewrites the lives of leading Joseon Dynasty painters Kim Hong-do and Shin Yun-bok -- manages to fuse the artistic and human beauty of rival series "Beethoven Virus" with the sweeping epic proportions of KBS' "The Land of the Wind."

Actor Park Shin-yang and co-star Moon Geun-young bring star power and acting prowess to the game, pulling off their leading roles as mentor and pupil, lovers and comrades, with stunning depth and complexity.

If "The Painter of Wind" possesses an Achilles' heel, it is that it chooses to focus on art. For the average television viewer, the combination of art and history can come across as boring and long-winded.

"It is a difficult drama," admitted director Jang Tae-yoo at a press conference held on Sept. 17. "It is challenging to make art interesting. I don't know how much of it will get communicated to audiences."

Judging from the first two episodes, Jang and his team have succeeded in breathing new life into a potentially stuffy genre. Soft and sweeping shots of aspiring court painters putting brush to paper and tipping back wine while ogling gisaeng (Korean geisha) paint an entirely new portrait of the Joseon Dynasty.

While the series retains the usual elements of intrigue and murder, politics and warfare take a back seat. Romance and the essence of the late Joseon Dynasty, of an era of reform and cultural renaissance, come to the forefront, imbibing the period piece with a strong sense of humanity and intimacy.

More importantly, the series takes on an approach reminiscent of lush period pieces like E. J-yong's "Untold Scandal" (2003), by focusing on issues of sexuality and gender.

Posing the classically Shakespearian question: "What if the famed painter Shin Yun-bok had been a girl pretending to be a boy?" The drama -- like the original novel -- toys with themes of homosexuality and forbidden love while highlighting the inequalities of a male-dominant society.

Actress Moon took up the challenge of playing girl-turned-boy Shin Yun-bok. And she does a surprisingly good job of portraying a confident and rebellious girl struggling to make it in a world ruled by men.

"I tried to copy my older male co-stars," said Moon, 21, at the press conference.

The precocious actress did more than just mimic her male colleagues. Within the first two episodes, she managed to convey the mischievous and anguished nature of her character, at times playing a sweet and innocent tomboy, at others a cocky and seductive painter.

Though there is no evidence to show that the real Shin was a woman, his talent at capturing the beauty of women and for creating exquisite intimate paintings remains undisputed.

Known by his pen name, Hyewon (b. 1758), he is remembered today as one of the "Three Wons" of Joseon-period painting.

The other two "Wons" include fellow genre painter Kim Hong-do a.k.a. Danwon (1745- c.1806) and 19th century painter Jang Seung-up (1843-1897) -- otherwise known as Owon.

While Kim enjoyed a relatively prominent career as an artist, fellow painter Shin -- who was expelled from the royal painting institute, Dohwaseo -- lived a more obscure life.

"The Painter of Wind" takes historical liberties with the lives of Kim Hong-do and Shin Yun-bok, depicting a full-blown romance between Kim, played by Park Shin-yang, and Moon Geun-young's character against the backdrop of 18th century Korea.

"The Painter of Wind" airs on Wednesday and Thursday nights on SBS at 9:55 p.m.

By Jean Oh

(oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: KBS 2008-09-30

'Mom's Dead Upset' Ends with 40.6% Viewer Rating

080930_ent_2.jpg

The final episode of the hit KBS drama series "Mom's Dead Upset" was aired on September 28. The popular drama series ended with a viewer rating of 40%. According to TNS Media Korea, the drama series garnered a viewer rating of 40.6% on Sunday. The highest viewer rating for the drama series was 42.7% on September 21.

In the final episode, Han-ja, who had left home and her family to enjoy some freedom of her own, returns home after finding out that her pregnant daughter-in-law Mi-yeon was showing signs of a miscarriage. The last scene shows the whole family playing a round of yut. According to AGB Nielsen Media Research, the viewer rating for the final episode was 39.7%. The average viewer rating for the drama series from the very first episode to the very last was 28.1%.

Meanwhile, a new drama series entitled "My Love, My Precious Gem," starring Kim Seong-soo and Lee Tae-ran, will take over the time slot of "Mom's Dead Upset."

~~~~~

Source: Soompi

Lee Tae Ran, Kim Sung Soo, Ji Hyun Woo lead the KBS2 weekend drama "My Beloved Gem (내사랑 금지옥엽, 金枝玉葉)"

8/10/08 - Lee Tae Ran, Kim Sung Soo, Ji Hyun Woo will lead the weekend drama "My Beloved Gem (내사랑 금지옥엽, 金枝玉葉)" scheduled to be aired by KBS2 on 9/6, following the final episode of "Mom Has Grown Horns".

by: CindyW88

on: August 10, 2008 8:43pm

20080725094159235e7_094914_0.jpg

This drama portrays how a radio DJ and a radio program PD overcome the difficulties and wounds incurred in the course of their romance. LTR plays a sanguine radio PD Jang In Ho (장인호) who is a workaholic and has bright and courageous personality. KSS plays a talented singer-song writer and radio DJ Lee In Ho (이인호) who is a divorced man suffering all kinds of trouble including his father committing suicide due to business failure. After these two persons, who have the same first name, meet each other, they quibble over things and develop love relationship at the same time.

Ji Hyun Woo plays a public health doctor working in a public health center. Actress Hong Ah Reum (홍아름) plays the role Kim Bo Ri (김보리) who is pregnant with Ji Hyun Woo's role's baby which makes them decide to get married. Actress Hong Soo Ah (홍수아) plays the role Baek Jae Ra (백재라) who dreams to become a singer and constantly disputes with her father (played by Park Joon Kyoo (박준규) who objects to her career goal. Later, she matures and realizes the importance of family love. Actress Yoo In Young (유인영) plays Jae Ra's elder sister Se Ra (세라) who is a dentist.

The supporting cast includes Na Moon Hee, Park Hae Mi, Park In Hwan (나문희, 박해미, 박인환) and Song Joong Gi (송중기). Song Joong Gi plays the role Jang Jin Ho (장진호) who is Jang In Ho's youngest brother in college. The filming of this drama has started in July.

20080725081858833f3_082613_1.jpg

20080725081858833f3_082613_2.jpg

Hong Soo Ah

20080725081858833f3_082613_2.jpg

Song Joong Gi

200806201338211111_1.jpg

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...806191023131113

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...806190821451110

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...806191158531111

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...806201338211111

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...807250908221110

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...mp;newssetid=83

Guest kdramafanusa

Choi Ji-woo and Yoo Ji-tae in “A Star’s Lover”

September 30th, 2008 // by javabeans

PP08030400055.JPG

After acting for ten years, Yoo Ji-tae is taking on his debut drama role. Despite his many film roles (Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Ditto, Hwang Jini, Attack the Gas Station) and his additional career as filmmaker, remarkably Yoo has never done a television series before. While we see many a star go from television to film, it’s unusual for such a big name actor to go from an entirely film career to a television one. Perhaps we owe this move to his suitably high-profile co-star, Choi Ji-woo.

He takes on the part of a university instructor who falls in love with a famous movie star (Choi) in SBS’s December drama A Star’s Lover [스타의 연인] . (Let me tell ya, they make one good-looking — and tall — couple.)

(Looks like this is the drama formerly called Lovers in Asuka before it was then changed to Oh My Goddess, which has now changed its moniker once again. Third time’s the charm? Yeesh, just pick one already — especially considering how none of the titles is really remarkably better than the others.)

Yoo’s character is highly educated but has a somewhat difficult personality, part-time lecturing while aspiring to be a novelist. Lest you think this is another Notting Hill, the story is purported to be “a realistic love story” and departs from the potential Cinderella-story aspect of the premise.

The drama starts filming later this week, shooting on location in Japan, and is aiming for an end-of-year broadcast.

Via E Daily

Guest kdramafanusa

Getting ready to fight it out on cable

October 1st, 2008 // by javabeans

20080930101958_O.jpg

[picture=ahatv]

It’s a sibling twofer! First Uhm Jung-hwa, now her kid brother.

When I first heard of Yoo Gun’s new Fight Club-esque cable drama (titled Fight), I only had a mild interest. But now an additional actor has been cast, and he is one for whom I have a lot of respect: Uhm Tae-woong (Resurrection, Devil).

Interestingly, it’s also his first time acting alongside his girlfriend, Lee Young-jin (Smile Again, pictured above), although they won’t be sharing scenes.

This time we’ve got a few more details about the story: An average salaryman (Yoo Gun’s character) gets brought into a fight by chance, and transforms into a true fighter. Uhm Tae-woong plays Yoo Gun’s fighter dad who’d died in the ring, and only appears in the first episode. As Yoo Gun’s girlfriend, Lee Young-jin takes on the sole female role.

A management rep said that because of interest (in Uhm) from Japan, they’d be making this a “clean drama” — meaning, although they’re striving for extreme realism with the action scenes, they want to keep from being given a restricted 19-and-older rating.

Other cast members include Lee Jong-soo (Yi San), Kang Sung-jin (Lawyers of Korea), and Baek Do-bin (The Host). The actors have been training in various martial arts over the past several months, including Taekwondo, boxing, and Muay Thai.

Fight is directed by Park Jung-woo (writer of Last Present) and premieres October 24. In other news, Uhm Tae-woong’s new movie Cell Phone just began filming this week.

Via Newsen, Joy News

~~~~~~~~

20081001141519.291.0.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/movie/view...98&p=poctan

^ Actors & their new movies: Ji Jin-hee (Parallel Life), Uhm Tae-woong (Cell Phone), Cha Seung-won (Saving My Wife)

Guest kdramafanusa

Meet your Korean F4

October 1st, 2008 // by javabeans

leeminho1qd0.jpgkimbum33kc6.jpg

What horrible timing following Choi Jin-shil’s shocking death, because now it’s hard to get that excited about news I/we have been waiting forever to hear, which is the announcement of the “F4″ guys in the Korean Hana Yori Dango, aka Boys Before Flowers.

Although it was floated around that the casting would comprise mostly pop idol stars, it turns out (for the better, imo), that we’re split half-half between idols and actors (the two rising actors at least have a decent amount of experience — for their age, I mean).

First is F4 leader in the Tsukasa role, aka actor Lee Min-ho (above left).

Kim Hyun-joong, of idol singer of pop boy band SS501, takes on the role of Rui.

Kim Bum (!!!), at above right, is most recently of East of Eden and the biggest surprise for me — and a pleasant one at that, since he’s proved he can act. He’s Soujiro.

And, finally, Kim Joon is the least-known of the F4 boys, as Akira.

Lee Min-ho takes the lead as “Doumyouji Tsukasa,” renamed for the drama as “Gu Jun-pyo”:

leeminho5qu8.jpg

Lee Min-ho, born in 1987, has a decent amount of work behind him, having done several TV shows and a couple films, including I Don’t Know Either, Run! Mackerel, Public Enemy Returns, and the recent Our School E.T.

A least they gave Doumyouji to a “real” actor instead of the crossover newbie in his acting debut. Not that that’s bad (we all have to start somewhere?) but considering that he’s the most crucial F4 role, he’d damn well better know how to act.

Kim Hyun-joong takes the character of “Hanazawa Rui,” renamed “Yoon Ji-hoo”:

kimhyunjoong1sm7.jpg

Kim Hyun-joong, a 1986-er of boy band SS501, is currently paired with Hwang Bo on variety show We Got Married, was the first name to be floated around earlier this summer. He’s taking over the role following Oguri Shun’s excellent portrayal — that’ll be an uphill climb, particularly given that the boy doesn’t have a lot of acting experience. It appears he was cast because he fits the image; we’ll see if his skills measure up.

Kim Bum is cast in the “Nishikada Soujiro” role, renamed “So Yi-jung”:

kimbum27al7.jpg

I’m a bit disappointed that Kim Bum is being used in a lesser capacity here, although since the series is set for 24 episodes, hopefully Soujiro and Akira’s roles are given more attention than as mere sidemen for Tsukasa and Rui. I also hope he’s given a chance to expand on his recently demonstrated melo acting skills. Hey, at least Soujiro was given a bit of a “deeper” story line than Akira in the J-version, yeah? What I’m saying is: You’ve got this budding “serious” actor, so don’t waste him.

Kim Joon as “Mimasaka Akira,” aka “Song Woo-bin”:

f4cn2.jpg

As the guy I’m least familiar with (as in, not at all), this is the best pic I could get; Kim Joon (full real name Kim Hyung-joon) is the guy on the right. And when I say “newb,” I mean this is his acting debut. He is, however, a member of the newish pop boy band T-Max.

Via Joy News

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2008.10.03

Youthful drama targets weekend audience

Rarely does a weekend family drama make the splash that KBS' "Mom is that Upset" did. The hit series ended with a bang last Sunday, garnering viewer ratings of 39.7 percent nationwide, according to AGB Nielsen Media research.

Hoping to continue their winning streak, KBS is following it up with a light and comic romance about a radio producer and a disc jockey.

Celebrities Kim Sung-su and Lee Tae-ran will be playing the title roles. Actor Kim, 35, stars as a has-been pop singer who takes a job as a radio disc jockey. Actress Lee Tae-ran, 33, plays the domineering co-worker who bickers her way into his heart.

Co-star Park Hae-mi, however, expressed reservations about the decidedly more youthful bent of the upcoming family drama - titled "My Precious You" - at the press conference on Tuesday.

"In the previous drama, 'Mom is that Upset,' middle aged characters played the lead," said actress Park, 44. "But people still shy away from focusing on older characters. Why do we target younger audiences?"

Park may have a point. She blew audiences away with her role as a wicked stepmother in SBS' "Dear Heaven" (2005). And now she promises to repeat its success.

200810030014.jpg

"I am upset that the preview screening did not show clips of me," she said. "My role is as big as Kim Sung-su's and Lee Tae-ran's."

But the results are not in yet. Park is up against some stiff competition. Kim Sung-su built up a steady reputation playing rich-but-lonely men in dramas like "Full House" (2004) and "Bad Love" (2007). And Lee Tae-ran struck fear and respect into the hearts of viewers with her tough, no-nonsense role as a lieutenant in KBS' "Famous Princesses" (2006).

It looks like Lee is set to continue to draw laughs with her tomboy persona in the upcoming drama.

"Lee Tae-ran's character is supremely tough in this drama," warned co-star Kim.

Kim, on the other hand, will be deviating from his standard role.

"In the past, I played a happy-go-lucky gentleman, but this time around I tried to change," said the actor, who grew a beard for his role as a down-and-out single father.

If "Mom is that Upset" focused on the trials and tribulations of mothers, "My Precious You" plans on highlighting the difficulties single fathers face in Korean society.

Actor Kim's character and the father of Lee Tae-ran's character both give viewers insight into what it might be like for men to have to raise children on their own.

The drama also plans to focus on the children, including actor Ji Hyun-woo, who stars as a playboy dentist.

Ji won female viewers over as the sweet and innocent hero in the hit KBS series "Old Miss Diary" (2004), building a reputation as the kind of guy an older woman would want to date. Now his new role threatens to overturn whatever points he managed to score over the past few years.

Quick to deny that his character is a player without a heart, Ji stated: "He is not a total playboy. My character just does not want to get caged in or hurt."

Whatever the case, the 23-year-old actor is sure to draw laughs every time he leers or catcalls at a passing woman in "My Precious You."

"My Precious You" starts tomorrow night at 7:55 p.m. on KBS 2 TV.

By Jean Oh

(oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Guest kdramafanusa

And Makino (in the Korean Hana Yori Dango) is…

October 5th, 2008 // by javabeans

ghs395486726aq4.jpg

Gu Hye-sun???

Erm. Okay.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Gu Hye-sun. A lot. I think she’s one of her generation’s more promising actors. She can do vulnerable, and she can do inner toughness. She can cry. She can emote. I respect her for writing and directing her own short film.

But I’ve never seen her as serious contender for Makino Tsukushi in Boys Before Flowers, aka the Korean Hana Yori Dango, mainly because (sorry to sound shallow) she’s too old. Born in November 1984, this also puts her older than all the F4 boys, although thankfully I do think Lee Min-ho in the Doumyouji role looks of an age with her despite the three-year age difference (he’s a 1987-er).

But since she’s been picked, I’ll be happy with it, I suppose. (And I’m not outright disappointed about it, just surprised. At least it wasn’t Lee Yeon-hee or Go Ara.) Director Jeon Ki-sang explains that he chose Gu Hye-sun because she fits Tsukushi’s image well, and acknowledges that the public had tossed her name around a lot as a prospective Makino when the drama was first announced.

Via My Daily

Archived