Dramas [2008~2009]

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2009.02.04

KBS drama up against MBC's comic-book hero

Tonight viewers face two choices: tune into the escapades of a strikingly handsome dark knight or go for a brand new melodrama.

For the past two weeks, ancient Korean hero Iljimae of MBC's "Moon River" has been winning the Wednesday and Thursday night miniseries ratings race. Now, the competition is heating up with a new series joining tonight's line-up.

Titled "Again My Love," KBS' latest installment takes Korean dramas back to their roots, with a twist. Instead of the usual tortured love triangle, "Again My Love" centers on an unconventional quintet of stars.

Rising celebrities Park Ye-jin and Jung Gyu-woon and veterans Choi Myung-gil, Park Sang-won and Jun In-hwa weave a web of deceit, betrayal, and yes, adultery in the 24-episode series.

"I have done a lot of conventional family melodramas," said director Kim Jong-chang of the hit series "My Rosy Life" (2005) at a press conference Thursday.

Having mastered the art of the tear-jerker -- remember the late Choi Jin-sil's heartrending portrayal of a wife struggling through the last stages of cancer? -- director Kim promised to "expand the stage a little."

"I feel that (dramas) have undergone a drastic transformation," said actress Choi Myung-gil, 46. "In the past, if I played a mother, I would have probably added a little white to my hair. But now, we do not have to."

200902030017wk2.jpg

Choi -- a pro when it comes to historical romances -- stepped out of her comfort zone to tackle the role of Han Myung-in, the formidable CEO of a large corporation.

Scarred by the death of her first love, Han realizes she is pregnant with his child. Determined to turn their son into a successful business executive, she enters into an arranged marriage with Lee Jeong-hoon, played by Park Sang-won of the hit series "Hourglass" (1995).

20 years later, Han realizes she has grown to love her husband, only to discover that he has been cheating on her.

With a trio of thespians whose ages range from 43 to 49 heading the cast, "Again My Love" may alienate younger audiences. On the flipside, the drama market and viewers benefit from the risk. The combination of twenty-something co-stars Park Ye-jin and Jung Gyu-woon with their forty-something counterparts caters to those who want to explore the complexities of both married life and budding love.

Though "Again My Love" promises to attract a broad audience, rising above rival MBC drama "Moon River" will prove to be a challenge. Touting a strong cast and director, the hit MBC action romance successfully combines the humorous nature of the comic book original with high flying stunts.

"Iljimae is a very sad character," said director Hwang In-roe at the "Moonriver" press conference. "But Ko Woo-young did not make (his original work) sad. It is even a little bit upbeat."

The first drama to be based on artist Ko Woo-young's 1970s comic series -- SBS aired a different take on the hero last year -- "Moonriver" layers anime-style elements over cinematography reminiscent of Oriental ink paintings.

The lead, Jung Il-woo, bears an uncanny resemblance to the comic book version, a lean and melancholy Korean Hamlet with martial arts moves and a beautiful face.

Actor Jung, who wooed female fans as a bad boy in "Unstoppable High Kick" (2006), struggled to do Ko's Iljimae justice.

"I was playing Jung Il-woo's Iljimae," he explained. "The director wanted the original Iljimae. But my personality kept emerging. The director said, 'Don't laugh. Jung Il-woo cannot be present. Don't laugh.'"

A pensive and serious Iljimae graces the screen; the fruit of one laugh-free take after another. And Park Chul-min of the hit series "Beethoven Virus" serves as the yang to Jung's yin. With a Chinese straw hat, a curlicue mustache and an incredibly strange walk -- the result of extensive consultation with a ballet company friend says the actor -- Park's villainous Wang Hyeong-bo is cute but dangerous. Clearly, he is the comic relief.

The combination is hard to beat. Yet the melodrama is making a comeback; SBS' highly popular "Temptation of Wife" serves as a case in point.

Both the comic book adaptation and the melodrama are beloved genres, adding an element of unpredictability to this particular ratings race.

Tune into "Moon River" on MBC on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 9:55 p.m.

"Again My Love" starts tonight on KBS 2 TV at 10 p.m.

By Jean Oh

(oh_jean@heraldm.com)

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Times 02-03-2009 16:36

Veteran Actors Team Up for Small Screen

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

090203p14vetranhv9.jpg

Veteran actors, with their impeccable acting and experience, are returning to the small screen, recently dominated mainly by good-looking younger people. Some of Korea's favorite actors are getting together to bring the life, love and passion of middle-aged men and women to the small screen with the drama "Again in Love'' (working title) on KBS.

Actors Park Sang-won, Choi Myoung-gil and Jeon In-hwa are famous for their acting, and viewers will have the chance to see them perform together for the first time in the 24-episode series.

"We will show more mature, perhaps even reckless relationships through the drama,'' Park said at a press conference last week.

Park, 49, is known as one of Korea's best male actors, with his soft smile and charismatic roles in hit dramas like "Hour Glass'' (1995) and "Taewangsasingi'' (2007). Choi, 46, made it big with the hit drama "Last Empress'' (2001) as Empress Myeongseong of the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910), while Jeon, 43, is also famous for her roles as charismatic empresses in historical dramas. For her, the new work is her first non-historical drama in 11 years and her femme fatal role seemed sufficient to shake the motherly image she's had for so many years.

The actors may be returning to fans after spending some time away from the spotlight, but the overall storyline of the new soap seems similar to others now on television.

The drama starts with Han Myung-in, CEO of the successful Myungjin Group, played by Choi, and her husband and vice president Lee Jung-hun, played by Park. The two seem to have it all ― fame, money and a perfect family ― until Han discovers an illicit relationship between her husband and top actress Eun Hae-jung, played by Jeon.

However, Eun, who strongly believed that she was Lee's true love, is devastated when she finds out that Lee will no longer see her and has decided to support his wife Han.

The story gets further complicated when the younger characters, played by Park Ye-jin and Jung Gyu-woon, discover their twisted fate along the way as well.

"The love lives of middle-aged people are the main focus of the drama. I have been working on dramas that touched on family life, but this time I'm bringing more, with love triangles, jealousy and revenge,'' Kim Jong-chang, the producer, said.

When reporters asked if he thought there weren't already enough dramas offering sensational storylines, the producer shrugged.

"I was never a person who focused on morals (when making dramas). I simply think that the trend these days is not based on standardized textbooks. Viewers can witness dramatic stories even in the news and I think it's hard to catch (viewers') attention without adding some touchy issues,'' he said.

The bottom line was life and love, added Kim.

"Revenge and adultery are all just topics. We will work on bringing life to the small screen, regardless of age. This drama actually gave me the chance to look back on my life and appreciate things that were long forgotten,'' he added.

Meanwhile, the press conference venue was a bit noisy with reporters and KBS staff members discussing the recent controversy regarding reporters entering KBS buildings. KBS' promotion team announced that reporters had to arrange appointments before entering the building, which reporters claimed violated their rights to covers stories about the public network. Many reporters left the scene arguing they wouldn't write about the network for the time being.

The drama "Again in Love'' starts airing tonight at 10 p.m. on KBS.

090203p14vetran2bn0.jpg

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

~~~~~

Source: KBS

Park Ye-jin 'Drama Role Far from Entertainment Image'

[ 2009-02-09 ]

090209oe5.jpg

Appearing in KBS drama "Hateful but Once Again"

Actress Park Ye-jin, who has been popular for her candidness on a reality entertainment program, is now playing a totally opposite role in a drama series.

In KBS 2TV's Wed-Thurs series "Hateful but once again" (script Jo Hui, producer Kim Jong-chang), which first aired on Wednesday, Park plays the intellectual and beautiful news anchor Choi Yun-hui. The ambitious Hillary Clinton wannabe is miles apart from her persona in the hit SBS entertainment show "Family Outing."

In the drama's recent presentation event, she clearly drew a distinction between the two: "In 'Family', I show off my jolly side as I mingle with the other cast, but the drama character is completely different. I will work hard to digest the role."

Park is truly enjoying her popularity from her role in "Family" these days, but she actually debuted a decade ago in the 1998 horror flick "Memento Mori."

Park said, "I'm just returning to my original gig, acting, so there's no difficulty juggling both. I have a wide range of emotions in reality so I can handle it."

Park also remarked that "Hateful" was her "Christmas gift," saying, "I first heard about the drama around last Christmas and accepted the role the very next day. I thought of it as a Christmas present and had no doubt or worries about the drama. Doing 'Family,' my desire for acting grew and I wanted to do a heavy and serious role if I had the chance. 'Hateful' was just perfect."

The drama about the love affair of middle aged couples and starring the highly regarded veteran actors Park Sang-won, Choi Myeong-gil and Jeon In-hwa has already topped ratings in the Wed-Thurs time slot.

Park said, "I had complete trust in the senior cast members. I typically have jitters on the first day of a shoot, which this time happened to be a confrontation scene with Choi. My mind went blank."

Older actors take center stage of the storyline, unlike most of the youth-oriented dramas these days. Park says this is exactly "Hateful's" strength.

Park said, "Current dramas are focused on one or two characters but 'Hateful' covers both the young and old love to appeal to a wide spectrum of viewers."

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: http://soompi.com/chae_rim_kim_seung_soo_a...%96%B4%E2%80%9D

Chae Rim, Kim Seung Soo, and Uhm Ki Joon lead the MBC drama “Job Well Done (잘했군 잘했어)”

by: CindyW88

on: February 8, 2009 3:13pm

2/8/09 – Chae Rim, Kim Seung Soo, and Uhm Ki Joon (채림, 김승수, 엄기준) will lead the weekend drama “Job Well Done (잘했군 잘했어)” scheduled to be aired by MBC on 3/14, following the final episode of “The Golden Age of My Life”.

20090206104140361101203fb0.jpg

2009020209570311171iu2.jpg

CR will play the role Lee Gang Joo (이강주). Originally, Myung Se Bin (명세빈) was selected to play this role. However, she decided to withdraw from this drama due to her bad health condition. Lee Gang Joo is a lively and healthy unmarried mother who is candid and brave about her affections.

Kim Seung Soo plays the role Yoo Ho Nam (유호남) who was Gang Joo’s old lover. He forgot about the fact that Gang Joo was pregnant with his child and went abroad to study. After he returns to Korea, incidents happen around him. Gang Joo, Ho Nam, and the character played by Uhm Ki Joon form triangle love relationships.

Kim Jung Hwa (김정화) plays the role Na Mi Ra (나미라) who is legally engaged to Yoo Ho Nam (played by Kim Seung Soo). Mi Ra is the daughter of a rich family and she has beautiful face and body with perfect personality such as being warm and positive. Yoo Ho Nam is in a position between the confrontation between Mi Ra and the heroine Lee Gang Joo.

Na Mi Ra is a talented ballet and Jazz dancer. Thus, it is expected that Kim Jung Hwa will demonstrate her dancing skills in this drama.

Actress Suh Hyo Rim (서효림) plays the role Ha Eun Bi (하은비) who was adopted overseas when she was a child. To play this role, SHR has been studying and practicing English. Eun Bi and the character played by actor Daniel Choi build love relationships.

The script writer is Park Ji Hyun (박지현) who collaborated with Chae Rim in the popular dramas “All About Eve” and “Still Loving You”.

The representative of the production team states, “Both Chae Rim and Myung Se Bin are good actresses the script writer would like to collaborate with. We thank Miss Chae Rim for her making difficult decision to accept this role in a few days. Her role is a lively and healthy unmarried mother who is candid and brave about her affections.”

Chae Rim states, “I am attracted by the character Lee Gang Joo and the production team, and therefore I make my final decision.”

Suh Hyo Rim , Uhm Ki Joon, Daniel Choi

2009012816464711141bh6.jpg

Kim Jung Hwa

2009021308162411171vb1.jpg

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...902060928421119

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...902020957031117

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...mp;newssetid=83

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...902130816241117

~~~~~

Source: Javabeans

Chae Rim prepares for new role in Good Job

February 15th, 2009 // by javabeans

200902160925051116_1.jpg

Chae Rim is returning to television with a new short haircut and a new skill (pottery).

She’s taking the lead in MBC’s weekend drama Good Job (which literally translates to the somewhat redundant-in-English “Good job, good job”), starring opposite Eom Ki-joon in the role recently vacated by Myung Se-bin.

Her character works at a ceramic and pottery company, and also creates her own pieces. As we can see in these photos, Chae Rim has been busy studying pottery daily in preparation for her role, while her formerly long hair was chopped short to match her character’s single-mom status.

In the drama, Chae Rim’s character has a child with an ex played by Kim Seung-soo. After the split, she meets a handsome younger man (Eom Ki-joon), but their developing relationship is interrupted by the return of the ex. I hope, uh, the drama itself is more interesting than the description, because Eom Ki-joon is capable of acting the heck out of a character and I’d hate to see him relegated to the mere (read: boring) “good, younger handsome man” role.

This drama marks Chae Rim’s first project after her last drama, KBS’s action drama Rivals, ended a year ago. That series was something of a disappointment, although her previous turn in Dal Ja’s Spring with Lee Min-ki had been a cheerful comeback role for her, following a divorce and several years away from Korean television.

Good Job airs in March, after Moon Sori’s Golden Age of My Life wraps.

Via My Daily

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: http://soompi.com/kim_nam_joo_oh_ji_ho_and...AC%EC%99%95quot

Kim Nam Joo, Oh Ji Ho, and Lee Hye Young lead the MBC drama “Queen of Wives (내조의 여왕)”

on: February 15, 2009 8:33pm

2/13/09 -- Kim Nam Joo, Oh Ji Ho, and Lee Hye Young (김남주, 오지호, 이혜영) will lead the Monday-Tuesday drama “Queen of Wives (내조의 여왕)” scheduled to be aired by MBC on 3/9, following the final episode of “East of Eden”.

2009021109433011161jr4.jpg

In this comical-mellow drama, Kim Nam Joo plays the role Chun Ji Ae (천지애) who tries her best to help her husband (played by Oh Ji Ho) to adapt to the society. Oh Ji Ho plays the role Ohn Tal Soo (온달수) who is a bum with indecisive personality although he graduated from Seoul National University. Lee Hye Young plays the role Yang Bong Soon (양봉순). Ji Ae and Bong Soon were good friends and they had a ‘Princess and Princess’ Maid’ relationship when they were in high school. After they got married, their respective husbands have boss-staff relationships.

Actress Sun Woo Sun (선우선) plays the role Eun So Hyuk (은소혁) who is the wife of the president (played by Yoon Sang Hyun, 윤상현) of the company where Ohn Tal Soo works. She doesn’t love her husband and then she has extra-marital affair with Ohn Tal Soo. Actors Jung Chan, Kim Chang Wan and Choi Chul Ho (정찬, 김창완, 최철호) also perform supporting roles in this drama.

The PD of this drama is Go Dong Sun (고동선) whose previous dramas were “Sweet Spy (달콤한 스파이)” and “Mary and Daegoo’s Offense and Defense (매리 대구 공방전)”. The script writer is Park Ji Eun (박지은) whose previous project was “Butcher Oh Soo Jung (칼잡이 오수정)”.

This is Kim Nam Joo’s comeback to TV drama since her last drama “Her House” aired by MBC in 2001. Since she married to actor Kim Seung Woo in 2005, she has been a good housewife taking care of 1 daughter and 1 son.

Sun Woo Sun

2009021111323911161tr1.jpg

http://news.joins.com/article/3492106.html?ctg=15

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...902110943301116

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...902130959061116

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...902111132391116

Guest kdramafanusa

Yoon-ah cast as Kwon Sang-woo’s jailbait love interest

February 11th, 2009 // by javabeans

yoonah3hf0.jpg

This is such a bizarre pairing to me — Yoon-ah, actress and singer of pop group Girls Generation (SNSD), is being paired as love interest to Kwon Sang-woo (Bad Love). It’s weird, right?

There’s nothing wrong with either; it’s that they’re from entirely different spheres. The 33-year-old Kwon has been around forever and he’s entering that second phase of his career where he’s no longer the fresh young lead. Yoon-ah, on the other hand, is 14 years younger (at 19, she’s still jailbait) and is more affiliated with the youth and kpop markets.

The role comes in the upcoming drama Cinderella Man, which will follow Return of Iljimae on MBC. The fashion-themed series casts Yoon-ah as a fashion student studying in Paris, who returns to Korea upon her father’s death. She operates a stall in the Dongdaemun market (which is where Kwon’s character also works). The role had initially been offered to Terroir’s Han Hye-jin, but she dropped out of the project.

If you’re confused because Han Eun-jung was already cast as Kwon’s leading lady, that’s because he’s playing a dual role. Sounds like his main role is the poor Dongdaemun store owner, while the man who happens to look exactly like him is a chaebol/businessman of a major fashion corporation. The poor dude ends up posing as the rich dude in a take on “The Prince and the Pauper.” Hijinks ensue.

Yoon-ah gained some acting cred with her role in the family drama You’re My Destiny, which started strong and then came under fire as one of the worst dramas in recent memory, although opinions remained favorable for her performance. (The writing was what turned that drama insane.) Cinderella Man premieres in April and airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Via OSEN

~~~~~

Kwon Sang-woo gets an older brother

February 16th, 2009 // by javabeans

1346ad3.jpg

Musical and screen actor Song Chang-eui (Scales of Providence) is in final negotiations to appear in the upcoming Cinderella Man — as Kwon Sang-woo’s older brother.

I’m starting to think that Cinderella Man is purely an exercise in Kwon Sang-woo’s vanity. I mean, I’ve always kinda thought that, but now it’s becoming pretty obvious. Especially as this comes on the heels of news that his love interest is Girls Generation pop singer Yoon-ah, who’s only 18 (by Western age count).

First off, as a commenter mentioned previously, the role might have suited him about eight years ago when he was still the young up-and-comer, but it’s not really a logical fit with his image now. (Struggling fashion designer switches places with an identical man who happens to be successor to a huge fashion company.)

Add to that his romantic pairing with Yoon-ah, who’s not only 14 years younger than him but whose fanbase is a whole generation younger than Kwon’s (ajummas love Kwon; their daughters love Yoon-ah). Now he’s got a baby-faced Song Chang-eui playing his hyung?

When most actors are trying to progress their body of work and advance to the next stage in their careers, Kwon Sang-woo seems to be trying to go backwards.

kwonsangwoo57ud4.jpgsongchangeui27sp3.jpg

Kwon Sang-woo, left, playing “younger” brother to Song Chang-eui

Granted, Song isn’t THAT much younger than Kwon (three years). But Song’s always had a baby face that makes him look at least five years younger (he just turned 30). (One of his most recent projects was the film Boys Don’t Cry — and let me give you a hint, he plays one of the BOYS.)

Whereas Kwon… There’s no doubt Kwon is a good-looking man. But he’s definitely aging, and these attempts to revert to younger characters, in my opinion, only make him seem older, and desperate to cling to his youth.

Hint to Kwon Sang-woo: YOU ARE AN AJUSSHI. There is nothing wrong with that. There are some very sexy ajusshis out there, old stereotype notwithstanding. You know what makes them sexy? The fact that they embrace moving on, both physically and in their acting roles.

Cinderella Man is scheduled to take Return of Iljimae’s Wednesday-Thursday slot on MBC when that drama ends.

Via Asia Today

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2009-02-18

Taking sibling rivalry to the small screen

200902170033pn1.jpg

Starting tonight, a tale of sibling rivalry pits itself against soap opera-worthy adultery. Up against KBS' melodramatic "Again My Love," SBS' new Wednesday and Thursday night series, "Cain and Abel," takes a cue from the biblical brothers to create a mammoth epic of fratricide, minus the religious connotations.

"A lot of people have been posting questions, asking if this is a religious drama," said scriptwriter Park Kye-ok at the press conference held last week. "This is a drama about brothers. It is not religious."

Using fratricide as the impetus for the story, "Cain and Abel" centers on the plight of Lee Cho-in, a modern-day Abel, and his wicked foster brother Lee Seon-woo.

Hallyu star So Ji-sub tackles the lead, returning after a four year hiatus from the small screen to play the wronged Lee Cho-in.

"Though unintended, after three years, this drama is finally hitting the small screen," said the 31-year old actor at the press conference. "There have been a lot of rumors about this, but that has enabled us to prep for it that much more and make it good."

The celebrity stood up on a chair to greet fans during the press conference, attesting to his continuing popularity.

The question remains: Will it last?

For those who are familiar with actor So's hit drama, "I'm Sorry, I Love You" (2004), "Cain and Abel" may lead to a moment of deja vu.

In the preview to "Cain and Abel," So runs in the desert, hands tied behind his back. Segue to a scene where someone holds a gun to So's head. Cut back to So running. He screams: "Brother! Save Me!" Someone pulls a trigger. Blood splatters. So collapses.

Sound familiar?

Though it is unlikely that Cho-in will suffer from a fatal bullet to the head -- the preview hints at amnesia instead -- one has to wonder if viewers want to see the star shot twice.

A massive production budget, news reports tally the costs at 7.5 billion won ($5.2 million), overseas filming in China, and a strong director and co-star promise to steer the drama away from redundancy.

"Stairway to Heaven" actor Shin Hyun-jun plays a revamped Cain, while hit SBS series "Doctor Bong" director Kim Hyung-sik takes the helm.

"Working on this project, I experienced, even more keenly this time, the difficulties of trying to do one's best," said director Kim. "We worked hard on this."

Will effort translate into high ratings?

Wednesday and Thursday night newcomer KBS' "Again My Love" overturned MBC's "Moon River" when it aired its first episode on Feb. 4, proving that melodramas have more mass appeal than the historical romance.

But KBS' victory may be short-lived. In terms of star power, SBS wins out with "Coffee Prince" actress Chae Jeong-an and "Isan" co-star Han Ji-min rounding out the high profile cast. And if drama is what audiences want, then "Cain and Abel" has it in spades.

"Cain and Abel" airs tonight on SBS at 9:55 p.m.

By Jean Oh

(oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Times 02-17-2009 18:48

Local Dramas Enduring With Support In and Out

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

090217p14local2my7.jpg

Actor So Ji-sub who will star in new SBS drama "Cain and Abel''

The economy looks gloomy, and a dark cloud is casting a shadow over the local drama industry. But producers and networks alike are striving to keep up with demands from viewers, with support in and out of the country.

Local television network SBS will offer a new drama "Swallow the Sun'' this July and has joined hands with renowned Canadian circus troupe "Cirque du Soleil'' for the show.

"After discussions with the vice president of the troupe in Taiwan, we decided, in Las Vegas, to bring the circus in April,'' Yoo Chul-yong, the producer, said.

He added that they decided to appear without any royalties, as it considers Korea a potential market. The new drama is being made by the makers of 2003's hit drama "All In,'' writer Choi Wan-kyu and Yoo.

Seogwipo, a city on Jeju Island, has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the production company for "Swallow the Sun,'' as the drama is to be filmed entirely in the city, with the exception of scenes abroad.

"We signed the MOU last July, promising support for the overall filming of the drama. We will help them film in some of our best locations and also try to help alleviate any hindrances during the shoots. It's more of a mutual relationship,'' an official from Seogwipo's Supporting Investment Division said.

She added that the drama is planning to use exact location names, so the city anticipates a boost in tourism.

Meanwhile, Taewon Entertainment's "Iris,'' starring actors hallyu leader Kim Tae-hee and Lee Byeng-hun, managed to get support from not only Seoul city, but Akita Prefecture, in Japan, which anticipates that the drama will bring in approximately 200 million yen, or 3 billion won, in revenue. The province also decided to provide free lodging to the drama's 80 crewmembers.

Seoul will also offer its support to the drama, which is striving to become the next "Winter Sonata'' and entertain international fans.

"The main support we are offering is administrative. We also recommend places that we think will fit the drama. As 'Iris' will be filmed here in Seoul, it will also be a good way to introduce interesting places to not only local viewers, but viewers abroad,'' a Seoul official told The Korea Times.

Meanwhile, SBS's upcoming drama "Cain and Abel'' held a press conference at Cheongju Airport last week and hinted at support from the city in North Chungcheong Province.

The city will in fact provide 500 million won and offer administrative support by allowing filming inside city buildings and organizations. In return, the producers decided to film the drama in Cheongju for more than eight episodes out of the total 20.

"It's exceptional to be supported with such an amount of money from a city, especially in such difficult times. Cheongju is looking forward to attracting more tourists to the city with the help of the drama and hallyu star So Ji-sub,'' Plan B Pictures, the production company, said in a statement.

090217p14localcn0.jpg

Popular drama "Boys Over Flowers'' was fortunate enough to receive support from New Caledonia.

The drama aired episodes in which five characters took a trip to the beautiful island, and now it will offer viewers episodes taking place in Macao.

"When news hit that Korea was filming the next 'Boys Over Flowers' series, there were proposals from Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan, but we wanted to offer viewers places that were new to our fans. It's not just about pretty locations or promoting a certain area, but a way to promote the drama industry and bring more interesting scenes,'' the drama's production company, Group Eight, said through a statement.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Kang Ji-hwan joins the telecinema experiment

February 18th, 2009 // by javabeans

kangjihwan152mm4.jpg

Based on the recent news, it seems this whole Japan-Korea joint production “telecinema” project is finally kicking into high gear.

Despite some actors’ names being floated around as participating in various segments of the project (such as Han Hyo-joo, Lee Soo-kyung, Cha In-pyo, Kim Sun-ah, Kim Haneul), I wasn’t really interested until this latest one announcing my Kang Ji-hwan’s involvement.

Yay! And yet, also boooooo — because it sounds like it may possibly end up really lame. Still, hope remains alive as long as he gets to show his acting chops, unoriginal story notwithstanding.

As was announced last year, the two-country telecinema collaboration pairs famous kdrama directors and producers with top Japanese drama scriptwriters, featuring a cast of Hallyu stars. The project is an experimentation in format, because it will be released both theatrically and on television. The TV broadcasts will be shown simultaneously in Korea (on SBS) and Japan.

Each individual segment will comprise 120 minutes, to be first shown in cinemas (they’ll release sometime before September), followed by television airings sometime after September. The segments will be broken into two hourlong “episodes” when shown on television.

jaejoong8os2.jpghyojoo45hu8.jpg

Hero Jaejoong, Han Hyo-joo

“Heaven’s Postman” [천국의 우편배달부]

This was the first segment to be revealed last year, and announced DBSK pop singer Hero Jaejoong’s acting debut opposite fresh-faced Han Hyo-joo (Iljimae).

In brief, the plot has Jaejoong in the “quirky” titular role, who delivers messages between this world and the afterworld.

Heaven’s Postman is directed by PD Lee Hyung-min (I’m Sorry, I Love You), and penned by Beautiful Life writer Kitakawa Eriko; it is done filming and currently in post-production.

kangjihwan04rr5.jpgleejia54yv5.jpg

Kang Ji-hwan, Lee Jia

“The Relationship Between Faces, Hearts, and Love” [얼굴과 마음과 사랑의 관계]

This is Kang Ji-hwan’s segment, co-starring Lee Jia (nooooo!).

(I don’t dislike Lee Jia. She’s all right. But I don’t understand why she keeps getting cast opposite actors who are light-years ahead of her in experience and ability — Kim Myung-min in Beethoven Virus, Bae Yong-joon in Legend, and now Kang? I want to know who she’s related to.)

This segment will be directed by Lee Jang-soo (of kdramas Love Story in Harvard, Stairway to Heaven) and written by Ooishi Shizuka (of jdramas Four Lies/Yottsu no Uso and First Love).

Kang Ji-hwan plays a character who suffers brain injury in an accident, which gives him odd visions that make him see ugly women as beautiful, and vice versa (uh, Shallow Hal anyone?). Lee Jia plays two roles — one (or perhaps both?) falls in love with Kang’s character in this “comic melodrama.”

haneul27sk5.jpgcip2ww3.jpg

Kim Haneul, Cha In-pyo

“Paradise” [낙원]

The same director from the above project (Lee Jang-soo) will also take on Paradise with writer Okada Yoshikazu (You’re My Madonna/Boku dake no Madonna). This has cast Kim Haneul (On Air) as its female lead, but is currently still casting its lead actor.

“A Stone’s Dream” [돌맹이의 꿈]

Jang Yong-woo (1999 drama Boss) collaborates with Nakazono Miho (Anego) in this segment starring Cha In-pyo (Crossing) and Kim Hyo-jin (Happiness).

(The production made the specific decision to employ actors who either already have overseas recognition or the potential for it. It’s clear they’re attempting to cover their bases by casting youngsters like Hero Jaejoong, while also engaging some old-school Hallyu faces who enjoy long-standing popularity in countries like Japan; Cha In-pyo and Ahn Jae-wook are two prime examples.)

leesookyungkfa8fk3.jpgahnjaewook3zc7.jpgkanghyejung20fb3.jpg

Lee Soo-kyung, Ahn Jae-wook, Kang Hye-jung

“Triangle” [트라이 앵글]

Drama PD Ji Young-soo (Oh Pil-seung, Bong Soon-young) works with scriptwriter Ozaki Masaya for Triangle.

In this piece, Lee Soo-kyung (Romantic Island) displays her usual clean and bright image as a widow who is left a huge amount of money and a work of art. Tablo’s newly revealed girlfriend Kang Hye-jung (Herb, Oldboy) plays a detective who suspects Ahn Jae-wook (I Love You) of bank robbery, and a love triangle ensues. (Naturally.)

“19 Years Old” [19세]

Director Hwang In-roi of Return of Iljimae and Goong now pairs with White Tower (Japanese version) writer Inoue Yumiko in 19 Years Old, for which Hwang brings back Sandara Park (whom he recently cast for an episode of Return of Iljimae). Her costar is currently still being cast.

kimsunah69xn2.jpgbaesoobin6nz6.jpg

Kim Sun-ah, Bae Soo-bin

“After the Wedding Ceremony” [결혼식후에]

PD Kim Yoon-chul, the director of My Name Is Kim Sam-soon and Que Sera Sera, brings back his Sam-soon, Kim Sun-ah. She is cast alongside Shin Sung-woo (Secret of Keke Island) and Bae Soo-bin (Painter of the Wind) in After the Wedding Ceremony. This part is written by Yokota Rie of the Gokusen series.

[untitled project]

The World We Live In’s PD Pyo Min-su works with writer Nojima Shinji (Pride) in a currently untitled project which is still casting.

[Possibly TBD?]

And, finally, one or two more segments may follow; the entire project aims to have nine complete sections to its name, with a possibility of a tenth.

Via OSEN, My Daily, My Daily

Guest kdramafanusa

Kang Ji-hwan drops Triple, Lee Jung-jae steps in

February 19th, 2009 // by javabeans

image_readtop_2009_108381_1235088140138335.jpg

WHAAAT?

My first reaction to this news was actually more like a mishmash of a dozen reactions, which went a little something like this:

“OH NO I was afraid of this but YAAAAY it’s Lee Jung-jae, but OH WOE, no Kang Ji-hwan?? *waaaaail* is so sad and yet, also *hurrahhhh* is excited, and oh who cares must see right now right away”

Or, in coherent language: Kang Ji-hwan (Hong Gil Dong), as I had feared, has dropped out of MBC’s upcoming figure-skating drama Triple. This is sad, but not too unexpected, because his name had been quietly dropped from press releases after the initial announcement.

On the other hand, perhaps the only other actor-crush that rivals mine on Kang Ji-hwan would be the one I reserve for Lee Jung-jae (Typhoon, Air City). My love for him is long-standing and perhaps older than some of you kiddies. (It dates back to 1994’s Feelings and was reinforced by 1995’s Sandglass. Hey, I was young, but I knew what love was.)

Also, this seems to suggest that the drama, while it had originally seemed fluffy and girly, may not be as silly as it first seemed. Lee Jung-jae has been known in his later career for tough action roles and while he definitely has comic chops (which are really underrated), I don’t see him doing a frilly drama. His casting, combined with Coffee Prince’s director at the helm, suggests this could be something really interesting.

So let’s see now:

Yoon Kye-sang (Who Are You)

Lee Seon-kyun (Coffee Prince, White Tower)

Lee Jung-jae (Il Mare, Typhoon)

Director Lee Yoon-jung (Coffee Prince)

Writer Lee Jung-ah of both the novels AND dramas for Coffee Prince and Capital Scandal

Yup. This is gonna be awesome. Can’t wait for June!

Via Mk.co.kr

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Times 03-03-2009 17:20

'Drum' Brings Tale of Lost Kingdom

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

drum.jpg

Lead actors of "The Drum.'' From left are Jung Ryeo-won, Choung Kyung-ho and Park Min-young. /Yonhap

Korea has already seen numerous historical television dramas of prosperous kingdoms and memorable heroes and heroines, and SBS is bringing another, but with a slightly different background.

The new 50-episode series "The Drum'' (working title) is based on the folk tale "Prince Ho-dong and the Princess of Nakrang,'' which touches the story of the failed Nakrang Kingdom (1 B.C. - A.D. 32) for the first time in 45 years.

According to the tale, there was a famous drum called the "jamyeonggo,'' literally "the drum that beats by itself,'' that would beat itself whenever enemies would invade its kingdom. The drama, however, gives a new twist in that the drum is in fact a person, the hidden sister of the Nakrang Kingdom's princess.

"It's a historical drama, but something that we are not familiar with. (Nakrang) is different from the Goguryeo Kingdom (37 B.C.-A.D. 668). Instead of focusing on the historical facts and the verified translations of our past, we filled the drama with our imagination, as no one really knows what happened,'' Lee Myoung-woo, the producer, told reporters at the drama's press conference in downtown Seoul.

Writer Jeong Seong-hee explained that Nakrang being a rather failed country caught her attention.

"There's been a 'Goguryeo wave' among television epics today, with many of them set during the period. But then I came to wonder if it was fair to think that the successful and strong countries were considered the most righteous. There should have been a strong, heroic story regarding the weaker countries. I wanted to bring back the heroes of the lost world,'' Jeong said.

The series boasts a colorful cast, with young stars like Jung Ryeo-won, Choung Kyung-ho and Park Min-young as the three main characters, Ja-myeong, prince Ho-dong and princess Ra-hee, respectively, along with veteran actors like Moon Sung-keun, Lee Mi-sook and Hong Yo-seob. Growing up as the princess of Nakrang, Ra-hee is adored by her people, while Ja-myeong survives a murder attempt and lives a private life. Prince Ho-dong, from Nakrang's enemy, the Goguryeo Kingdom, is torn between two worlds, not to mention women, and must make a choice between love and responsibility.

Perhaps because the drama is not based on the actual historical setting, the music used in the drama was rather mysterious and dark, as opposed to an overall grand and symphonic atmosphere. The colorful costumes also complimented the overall historical element, with the characters performing martial arts in their flowing attire.

"The Drum'' is actually the first historical drama for Lee and Jeong, and the former admitted that it was a burden, but still exciting.

"When I worked on more 'modern' dramas, I didn't really have to talk much with the actors. They had their own wardrobe and acting style, but historical dramas are different. The characters have to wear certain outfits and we have to discuss everything, from the way the character talks and moves to even the slightest habits. I guess I'm becoming a busybody,'' Lee told The Korea Times during a separate interview.

"Because it's based on a folk tale, I have to communicate with the actors a lot. We get together and question, 'would King Daemushin of the Goguryeo Kingdom behave like this at this scene during that time?' This is actually the ideal way to shoot a drama,'' he added.

Compared to other young writers, Jeong has a strong sense of narrative and with Lee being a producer who stresses detail, the outcome looks bright.

"With her excellent narrative skills and myself adding in the details and imagination, I think we make a pretty good team. So I think (the drama) will do well,'' Lee smiled.

"The Drum'' airs at 9:55 p.m. on March 9 on SBS.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2009.03.06

Rise of the 'Flower Boys'

Maybe the time has finally arrived for women in this formerly Confucian society to openly appreciate the beauty of the opposite gender.

Or it may be that boys have actually become much "prettier" than before, and are beyond the traditional male attributes defined in such vocabularies as "tall, dark and handsome."

Well, the four main male characters in KBS hit drama "Boys Before Flowers" are definitely tall, handsome, and all of them jaw-droppingly rich. But that's hardly enough to describe the huge pop culture sensation that has literally engulfed Korea.

The four "flower boys" or "F4" have captivated the hearts of women of all ages in the country, be it a seven-year-old girl or 50-year-old housewife. Many men also watch it, though the majority of fans are women.

"Boys Before Flowers" can be considered something like the Asian version of America's huge hits "The O.C." or "Gossip Girl" that depict a hyper-luxury lifestyle of teenagers.

200903050002.jpg

The series is only mid-way through, but the cast members (led by oh-so-charming Lee Min-ho playing main character Goo Joon-pyo) have become household names. The ratings hover around the high 30 percent and could climb higher.

"By watching these unrealistically rich and charming boys going out of their way to help Geum Jan-di (main female character played by Koo Hye-sun) in her quagmires, as well as watching the scenes where she is reluctantly showered with gifts and makeovers, I get a sense of satisfaction at least inside the television," said Lee Ji-ah, a 26-year-old graduate student, who watches the show religiously.

The drama is so popular that some shows are dedicated to it. Putting a comedic spin on the series that some say are simply "too corny," such comedy programs as Gagya of MBC and Gag Concert of KBS have recreated the main characters for parody.

This is undoubtedly the big break for Lee Min-ho, 22, who was a struggling actor before the drama and now the envy of a multitude of aspiring actors. He is expected to take in as much as 1.5 billion won ($970,000) in profit this year, not to mention fast becoming the most coveted celebrity in business advertisements.

Apparel company Bean Pole, a sponsor of "Boys Before Flowers" and creator of the famous school uniform featured in the drama, has also seen a burst in recognition and a rise in sales.

200903050003.jpg

Korea's largest community site Cyworld has also benefited from the latest pop phenomenon by producing emoticons for each of the five major cast members, which they say are in high demand from users.

Fashion magazines are filled with pictures and stories about the flower boys, while portal sites of Korea are filled with news, pictures and blogs dedicated to them.

It seems people just cannot get enough of them.

"Boys Before Flowers" or "Hana Yori Dango" in Japanese is actually a familiar story for women in their teens, 20s and 30s. The original comic book with the same title by Japan's Yoko Kamio is considered like a bible for those who enjoy Japanese romantic manga. The series ran between 1992 and 2003 to eventually comprise a whopping 37 volumes. It sold over 54 million copies by 2005.

The title is a pun on the Japanese old saying "Dumplings before flowers," referring to people who attend Hanami (flower festival), but instead of enjoying flowers, focus more on the materialistic side of the event such as getting food and buying souvenirs.

The plot is quite old school as well. Geum Jan-di, the main female character, is a girl from a poor family but has an unrivaled sense of optimism and drive and is by chance admitted to a prestigious private high school.

There she meets the infamous group of four astonishingly good looking and rich boys. The group's leader is Goo Joon-pyo, who is a spoiled heir to world-leading conglomerate Shinhwa. He is joined by mysterious and breathlessly handsome Yoon Ji-hoo, played by member of idol pop group SS501 Kim Hyun-joong, So Yi-jung played by Kim Bum, and Song Woo-bin, played by Kim Joon. Their love story moves from Seoul to New Caledonia to Macau, while their wardrobes, vehicles and houses also entertain the eyes with their over-the-top extravagance.

With their super powerful parents and backgrounds, it almost seems there's no stopping these boys, until of course, they are met by the "harsh" reality of having to follow to their destined routes, such as inheriting the Shinhwa Group.

"I actually am so over the whole immature high school love story, but I end up watching it because there's just so much to see. It is like eye candy on all aspects combined into one show," said Shin Se-young, a 35-year-old office worker.

Lee Ji-yeon, a 30-year-old single woman, explains that she is a fan of the show because it is blatantly lavish and dreamlike. She says it's easy to just fall into it without bothering to think about whether the plots are realistic or not.

"It's like watching real people play out the comic book to a tee."

There are also other interpretations as to why "Boys Before Flowers" is such a great hit in Korea.

The obvious reason is the near perfect casting of the F4. Fair to say, their acting skills are considered not up to par, sometimes even cringe-inducing. But main player Lee Min-ho shines, with his believable adaptation of the Joon-pyo character. Lee actually manages quite well to portray the spoiled kid of a billionaire who shows little to no respect to people around him, but turns all soft and mushy once in a while, at least to the love of his life Jan-di.

"One of the reasons for the character Goo to be so popular could be that he touches the embedded masochism of viewers by being mean and then he can be kind all of a sudden, getting the counterpart to appreciate that even more," said Kim Mi-hyun, literature critic and professor of Ewha Womans University.

It is also a shared opinion among the fans of F4 that while watching it, they forget about everything else and the less-than-rosy reality of life, especially at this time of economic hardship.

"This may represent a distorted adoration or aspiration towards people with money or chaebols. It is usually the case where the worse the economy the more popular the wealthy become.

The popularity of this program also represents the new aggressive nature of consumption," Kim said.

"One problem, however, with the program is that these boys represented in the stories are in their teens and spending like kings. The unreality of it may be the attractive factor but it may also provoke a sort of wild-goose chase," she said.

Whatever the reason, it appears that the F4 phenomenon is here to stay for now as fans appear to be not getting enough of it.

The original manga "Boys Before Flower" is enjoying a resurrection of its sales. Over 132,000 copies were sold in the months of January and February, according to its publisher Seoul Media Group. This is a huge surge compared to about 42,000 copies in yearly sales of the past.

The series is already signing deals with overseas television networks for viewing, following the footsteps of Japan and Taiwan, which have also reprised the comic book series in television series and movies.

New Caledonia, which was featured in the earlier part of the drama as the set where the main female and male characters confirm their love, is seeing an increase in the number of potential travelers.

"It will take time for the actual number of travelers to New Caledonia to rise considering the current economic situation here. But New Caledonia definitely put itself on the map of coveted travel destinations through this drama series. Now, everyone from kids to adults in their 40s and 50s know Goo Joon-pyo's New Caledonia. We are satisfied enough for having raised its recognition," said Lee Myeong-hwan, who heads the Korean office of New Caledonia Tourism.

By Lee Joo-hee

(angiely@heraldm.com)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source: KBS 2009-03-04

“Boys over Flowers” Syndrome

Every Monday and Tuesday evening at 10 p.m., local viewers’ eyes are glued to the small screens, engrossed in the hit TV series “Boys over Flowers” which currently airs on KBS 2. Since its television debut on January 5 this year, 17 episodes of the series have been aired. Female viewers are swooning over the attractive male stars who, as the title suggests, seem even prettier than flowers. The series has even stirred a “pretty-boy syndrome” across the nation.

The television drama “Boys over Flowers” is based on the comic series by the same title written by comic artist Kamio Yoko. The original title of the TV series is “Hanayori Dan-go” in Japanese. The hit drama is about a romance and events that occur between the four rich and pretty boys, dubbed F4, and the plain heroine with an innocent, bright smile. The “F” in F4 stands for flower. The main plot of the original work is the love story between the arrogant leader of F4, Tsukasa and an ordinary but tough girl, Tsukushi.

Since its first serial publication in 1992, “Boys over Flowers” has been reborn into various genres and adored loved by Asian fans. The animation version first hit the TV screens in Japan in 1995 and it was successfully remade as the TV series “Meteor Garden” in Taiwan in 2001, which became a major hit. The actors who starred as F4 in Taiwan even formed a band of the same title and continue to stage performances.

The 2005 Japanese version which also featured young TV personalities recorded the highest audience rating. After the 2007 Season 2 production, the story was even adapted into a film and, again, recorded number-one box-office profits. “Boys over Flowers” finally saw its Korean version hit the local TV screen in January of this year. Bae Jong-byeong, the planning producer of the drama production company Group Eight, tells us about the Korean version.

I wanted to produce a fun drama that would make viewers feel at ease. In the case of “Boys over Flowers”, each episode is full of attractive characters. And it is also the world’s best-selling boys-meet-girls comic. What’s more, it was a successful concept in Japan, where it became a major hit as a drama and film. Some questioned whether we should reproduce an already popular and well-known program. But why did we produce it? Well, we chose it because of the familiarity, the drama’s competitive edge. If we carefully remake a familiar work, we could create an even better one. That’s why we produced the drama.

The production crew had high expectations for the third remake of “Boys over Flowers”, which followed those in Taiwan and Japan. But the popularity of the Korean version with domestic flavor surpassed the crew’s expectation. After just three episodes, viewers’ satisfaction rating climbed over 20 percent, and it’s taking YouTube, America’s representative UCC Web site, by storm. About 3,000 related video clips have been posted on the Web site while some 10 million viewers have visited the site. So, what is the secret behind the success of the Korean version? The first factor is the casting of the main characters F4.

Since the plot is very familiar, we thought that well-known actors would dilute the unique characteristics of the main roles. That’s why we chose new faces. Usually when we pick actors, we test their image and their acting abilities, but the first priority of F4 was the appearance. In fact, we put more weight on the image than the acting ability. We could check their potential by testing their vocalization. Then we trained them after the casting.

The discovery of fresh faces renewed interest in the small screen among teen viewers. Before “Boys over Flowers”, young audiences were diminishing due to the lack of interesting TV dramas. Here is Bae again.

The existing broadcasting stations usually rely on audience ratings. So they tend to feature top stars and produce projects guaranteed to succeed. That’s why teenagers lost interest in TV. They were bored with unified, stale and uninteresting dramas. But the story of “Boys over Flowers” is about teens these viewers can relate to. There wasn’t much screen content teenagers could enjoy. But this drama provides an entertaining culture they can share and enjoy by themselves. Maybe that’s why young viewers are back to the small screens again.

The second reason behind the success of “Boys over Flowers” is the well-utilized concept of “high fantasy romance.” TV dramas basically rely on fiction, but in case of “Boys over Flowers”, viewers are attracted to the fantasy based on reality. Producer Bae tells more.

As we prepared for this work, we wanted to offer joy and a fluttering feeling to the viewers. But we had some rules. We wanted to compile all the fantasies found in dramas and showcase them to the viewers, and it worked. Cheerful and speedy development in a familiar and easy-to-follow storyline appealed to the TV viewers. A fantasy based on reality can easily engage the audience in the story. In “Boys over Flowers”, we can find all kinds of rich people and handsome boys, which depicts the so-called world of neo-aristocrats. The setting is very unrealistic, yet, possible. That’s the attractive point of the drama. This kind of fantasy in TV programs provides dreams and hope as well as fun to the viewers. That’s the strength of the tale of “romantic fantasy.”

The four pretty boys of F4, who look like characters straight out of romantic comic books, are appealing to viewers ranging from teens to people in their thirties and forties. Although the F4 members are arrogant and stubborn, they have sincere hearts, so people are captivated by the humanistic qualities of these romantic characters. Another factor in the series’ success is its outstanding imagery, captured in overseas locations.

Due to the TV series’ great influential power over the public, we were invited to many foreign locations to shoot the drama. Some 17 countries offered sponsorship, but the most important condition for the shooting was to find a new venue that wouldn’t restrict the original fantasy, but rather maximize the effect. The scenes shot at New Caledonia were beautiful, and haven’t been seen before in other dramas. We even hired the crew who shot the film “Lord of Rings” to capture the aerial photography. In the case of the scenes shot in Macau, we had access to the world’s best casino resorts.

The background music is another element lending to the series’ appeal. The tune you are listening to right now is the drama’s theme song “Almost Paradise.” Amidst the stagnant recording industry, more than 100-thousand sound tracks have been sold. Here is songwriter Oh Jun-seong.

Since the drama is based on comic, I used the animation film music techniques to expand the scale of the background music. The music in the Japanese version is a bit heavy, while our version has a brighter tone. Differentiating from Japan, we used several different melodies befitting each character. Since we are a newcomer, we could fully prepare for the project with more resources and create music that suits local tastes. Unlike the Japanese version, which doesn’t rely much on background music, our tunes are very lively and match perfectly to each scene.

Every time one of the male characters and the heroine Geum Jan-di appear together, different theme songs are played. The varying themes maximize the image of each role and viewers find themselves further engrossed in the program.

The Japanese public was also interested in checking out the Korean version of the famous production. The drama’s official Web site was unveiled in Japan on December 26 of last year, even before the show debuted in Korea. If you visit the site hanadan-k.com, you can watch the clippings that introduce the main characters.

The Korean version of “Boys over Flowers” will be aired in Japan this summer. It will be broadcast on regular network channels in Tokyo, not on cable, so the interest in the Korean version is actually higher than that of the original, Japanese, production. In May, a two-night, three-day tour of shooting locations in Korea will begin. In addition, an official guidebook of the drama will be published and the Korean sound track will be released in Japan. Although the story originated in Japan, the work has been reborn in Korea as part of the Korean Wave. Hong Sa-jong, CEO of Meerae Imagination Institute, tells us about future cultural contents.

There are many cases in which remade works which originated in Japan have become successful in Korea, such as the film “Old Boy” and the musical “Lion King” based on “The King of the Jungle Leo.” Since most of the tales were from Japan, we could call it a Japanese Wave. But the Japanese Wave can transform into a Korean Wave. It doesn’t matter where the concept originates. If we reproduce it into a successful local version, it can become a Korean Wave with Korean style. Outstanding projects, even if they are from overseas, can be remade into a world-class cultural content with Korean flavor. That’s why we don’t have to be restricted by the origin of the work. What matters is re-creation. Think of it as creating a new, local, cultural content, like Disney animations did. So, we need to learn how to adapt the work and develop it into a Korean style. If we utilize our advanced computer graphic technology and create a better production, it will be even more appealing than the original work.

The UCLA Asian Studies Center in the U.S. gives more credit to the Korean version than to both the original work by Japan and the Taiwanese version. Not only did the Korean version carry on the popularity of the original work, the production crew upgraded other features of the drama such as casting, imagery and directorial skill. The 21st century is a “society of stories”. New culture will be born if we produce stories based on imagination and ideas. A well-executed storyline can even upgrade the competitive power of the nation. We have already experienced the power of the “story industry” through the Korean Wave which rippled through Asia. This spring, the “Boys over Flowers” syndrome is stirring a refreshing breeze of local pop culture. As fans all over the globe catch on to the popular series, we hope the enthusiasm will bring about a second Korean Wave.

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2009.03.04

[JUNIOR HERALD] Fans may be able to see Lee Seung-gi acting again

Singer Lee Seung-gi is likely to star in a TV drama.

Lee first showed his acting skills through the sitcom MBC's "Nonstop 5." After "Nonstop 5," he also appeared in KBS' "Somunnan Chilgongju" (소문난 칠공주).

Three years has past since he shot "Somunnan Chilgongju." Although his *original job was a singer, some of his fans also want to see him acting again.

He has not yet signed a contract to act as the *main character of SBS' "Life is Beautiful" (인생은 아름다워). But according to his management company, there is a high *possibility that he will become the main character.

The character which Lee may act is the role of Sun Woohwan. Sun is the *grandson of a food company owner.

During the three years Lee was not acting, he was busy doing his original job. He released albums and some of his songs ranked 1st in the music charts. Lee also gained more popularity by participating in KBS' "One Day Two Nights."

Despite his busy schedule, he managed to *complete his university studies. Lee graduated from Dongguk University and attended the graduation ceremony held on Feb. 20.

By Yeom Min-a (mina@heraldm.com)

Hmmm, I heard from someone that there was going to be a korean drama for The Bride of the Water God and Shipwrecked (both based on manhwa) and while I've seen photos and stuff for the latter I haven't been able to dig up any information on the first which I'm actually most interested in. Does anyone know if it was just a rumour and nothing more that that? It'd be really cool if it was true... hoping for another fantasy-like kdrama <3

Guest kdramafanusa

Helena, hope you can unlock your PM, need to send a message. (March 8)

Source: http://soompi.com/park_yong_ha_park_shi_yu...BC%EA%B8%B0quot

Park Yong Ha, Park Shi Yun, and Kim Kang Woo lead the KBS2 drama “Men’s Story (남자 이야기)”

on: March 7, 2009 7:06pm

3/7/09 -- Park Yong Ha, Park Shi Yun, and Kim Kang Woo will lead the Monday-Tuesday drama “Men’s Story (남자 이야기)” scheduled to be aired by KBS2 on 4/6, following the final episode of “Flower-like Men”.

2009030417215511131.jpg

This drama portrays a man’s ups and down life of revenge after his family was impacted by the bankruptcy of a conglomerates group.

PYH plays the role Kim Shin (김신) who lost love, money, and family all of a sudden and then he declares war to the world. KKW plays the role Chae Do Woo (채도우) who unavoidably confronts with Kim Shin.

Actor Philip Lee (이필립) plays the role Do Jae Myung (도재명) who is an overseas Korean proficient in English and law. Jae Myung helps Kim Shin to chase large corporations. It is expected that Jae Myung would bring intensity to the drama from the beginning. Philip Lee’s previous drama was “Four Legends of the Great King”.

Actor Park Ki Woong (박기웅) plays the role Ahn Kyung Tae (안경태) who is a queer genius helping Kim Shin to revenge. Actress Lee Tae Yim (이태임) plays the role Chae Eun Soo (채은수) who has tough and determined personality.

This drama is written by Song Ji Na (송지나) who is well-known for her works for the successful dramas such as “Sandglass (모래시계)”, “The Great Hope (대망)”, and “Four Legends of the Great King (태왕사신기)”.

Philip Lee

200902041937498595789A_3.jpg

Park Ki Woong

2009022601053_0.jpg

Lee Tae Yim

20090209011108613d60111.jpg

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...903041721551113

http://stoo.asiae.co.kr/news/stview.htm?id...sc3=hot&sk=

http://stoo.asiae.co.kr/news/stview.htm?id...sc3=hot&sk=

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/...9022601174.html

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...p;newssetid=746

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2009.03.09

SBS, MBC tap into female-driven plots

Fairytale princesses and disgruntled housewives join the Monday and Tuesday night line-up, promising to bring a little gender equality to a timeslot dominated by the hit KBS series "Boys Over Flowers."

Both MBC and SBS are tapping into female-driven plotlines with their latest offerings: "My Wife is A Superwoman" and "Jamyeonggo."

SBS' tragic historical romance, "Jamyeonggo," may struggle to attract viewers bogged down by a lackluster economy and in need of a pick-me-up. Yet its re-interpretation of the classic tale of "Princess Nakrang and Prince Ho-dong" promises to revamp an otherwise stale genre.

Scriptwriter Jung Sung-hee took liberties with the myth of the fallen Nakrang kingdom (c. 100 B.C.-37 A.D.), juicing it up with a new heroine.

In the original version, the king of the town-state of Nakrang gives his daughter's hand in marriage to Ho-dong, son of the third king of Goguryeo.

Harboring plans to conquer Nakrang, the Goguryeo prince asks Princess Nakrang to destroy her kingdom's magical drum, the "jamyeonggo," which possesses the power to sound an alarm when invaders are near. The princess chooses love over country.

200903080035.jpg

"My assistant scriptwriter gave me a clue that showed that 'jamyeonggo' was a person," said scriptwriter Jung at the press conference last week.

Using the clue as inspiration, Jung fashioned the tale around a new character, the daughter of the king of Nakrang and his first wife, calling her Ja-myeong.

Jung's version presents two princesses Ja-myeong, and the daughter of the king's second wife, Ra-hee, the traitor-princess of the original fable. A prophecy predicts that one of the princesses will betray her kingdom; the other will save it.

Princess Ja-myeong, played by actress Jeong Ryeo-won, must choose between her true love, Goguryeo's Prince Ho-dong, and her kingdom. Forced to cross swords with her half-sister Ra-hee, she sacrifices love and life for nation.

"This is the first time that both the director and the scriptwriter have worked on a historical romance," said actress Jeong.

Also a first for the 28-year old actress, who starred in the hit MBC drama "My Lovely Samsoon" (2005), Jeong stated that she found her character "fascinating."

Both Jeong and co-star Park Min-young, who is playing Ra-hee, underwent extensive training for their fight scenes. The preview showcased the two princesses, flying through the air and twirling swords in what promises to be an action-packed series.

Starting next Monday, MBC's heroine, played by veteran actress Kim Nam-ju, will be defending a different kind of kingdom in "My Wife is a Superwoman."

Returning to the small screen after an eight-year hiatus, the 37-year old actress tackles the role of a prom queen-turned-housewife. Bolstered by friend and co-star Lee Hye-young as a school dweeb-turned-domestic goddess and "Fantastic Couple" co-star Oh Ji-ho as her less-than-ideal husband, Kim promises to garner laughs as a desperate housewife struggling to make ends meet.

"I chose this because I like upbeat dramas," said Kim at the press conference on Wednesday.

The preview drew laughs, showing Kim as the popular schoolgirl and Lee as the geeky one, both of them fawning over first loves, then segueing to them as dowdy and glamorous housewives disillusioned by the challenges of married life.

"I play an ugly schoolgirl who loses the man she loves," said actress Lee. "When I first did make-up for my character and went on set, no one said 'Hi' to me."

Dwarfed by enormous glasses and covered in freckles, Lee's drastic transformation into character Yang Bong-soon elicited a few chuckles from the press on Wednesday.

Will this spoof on school romances and housewives be enough to beat out KBS' "Boys Over Flowers"?

"Since 'Boys Over Flowers' is a strong rival, I think we can get ratings of over 15 percent," predicted co-star Oh Ji-ho.

MBC's "My Wife Is A Superwoman" airs on Mar. 16 at 9:55 p.m. SBS' "Jamyeonggo" airs a special tonight and two back-to-back episodes tomorrow at 9:55 p.m.

By Jean Oh

(oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: http://soompi.com/quotcommanding_womenquot...mas_aired_march

“Commanding Women” Come Out in Dramas Aired in March

on: March 9, 2009 9:18pm

“Commanding Women” come out in dramas scheduled to be aired in March … from unyielding “ajuma (아줌마)” to historical heroine.

12360445275621.jpg

“Flower-like Men” has made evening dramas hot. Now, it is time to dispatch “Commanding Women” in front of TV viewers in March.

Starting from March, TV dramas present ‘Women’s World’. Actresses Yoo Ho Jung, Kim Nam Joo, Lee Hye Young, Chae Rim, and Jung Ryu Won (유호정, 김남주. 이혜영, 채림, 정려원) all come back to TV dramas after each of them took a long break. They transform by playing charismatic characters showing tough and commanding images instead of preexisted sophisticated ones.

Kim Nam Joo leads MBC drama “Queen of Wives (내조의 여왕)”. This is Kim Nam Joo’s comeback to TV drama since her last drama aired 8 years ago. In the past 8 years, she has always presented urban and polished image in CFs. In contrast, she plays a tough married woman who has strong will to deal with life in this new drama. Her role endeavors to help her husband who is a bum with indecisive personality to adapt to the society.

In the same drama, actress Lee Hye Young has already attracted peoples’ attentions for her exceptional transformation for her new role. In the beginning of the drama, as an ugly high school student, she had short hair, wore glasses, had freckles and black-stained teeth on her face. Then she changes to a stylish married woman.

In her new drama “Love to Anybody (사랑은 아무나 하나)”, Yoo Ho Jung plays a completely cool-headed doctor. She says, “This time, my role is an interesting one. The tenacious acting skill hidden inside me will come out by playing this character.”

Chae Rim plays a courageous unmarried mother in her upcoming MBC weekend drama “Job Well Done (잘했군 잘했어)”. Her role Lee Gang Joo lives proudly without the attentions from her lovers and family. In order to well portray this character, Chae Rim has her long hair cut short to the root of her ears.

Similar to the said characters of working or unmarried mothers, Jung Ryu Won plays a historical heroine Naklang Princess Ja Myung who receives loves and respects from citizens of her country. To protect her country, she ventures into enemy’s territory Gogooryu. Jung Ryu Won demonstrates Princess Ja Myung’s skills of archery and swords through her passionate performances.

The wide range of female characters transformation from working mothers and unmarried mothers to historical heroine has already captured the hearts of TV viewers.

http://joynews.inews24.com/php/news_view.p...g_serial=396953

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Times 03-10-2009 15:34

New Types of Husbands to Sneak Onto TV Screen

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

tvscreen.jpg

MBC brings the story of passionate wives and clueless husbands through new drama "My Wife Is a Superwoman.'' The series starts March 16 at 9:55 p.m. / Courtesy of MBC

Marriage requires many things-- from caring and understanding to sacrificing and communicating. MBC's new drama "My Wife is a Superwoman'' showcases the role of Korean wives when they were traditionally the ones who had to endure sacrifice and completely support their husbands, also known as "naejo '' in Korean.

Starring Kim Nam-joo, Oh Ji-ho and Lee Hae-young, the 16-part series will feature the stories of three couples tangled up in different relationships and situations.

The 37-year-old Kim, who has returned to the spotlight after an eight-year hiatus, will be the "superwoman'' Cheon Ji-ae who struggles to regain her own status and also her husband's.

"As a mother of two and an 'ajumma,' I thought this was a perfect role for me. Times are difficult these days, and I liked that the drama is bright and upbeat,'' Kim said, referring to the Korean term that means married middle-aged woman, at a press conference.

Cheon, who was once the most popular girl in high school, marries the smart Ohn Dal-soo, played by Oh, dreaming of the perfect marriage. But when she realizes that Ohn is an underperformer at work, she is determined to support her husband and help him climb the corporate ladder. The determined Cheon meets her match, however, when she discovers that Ohn's boss is the husband of her childhood enemy, Yang Bong-soon.

Promising "naejo'' was primarily the role of wives when men were the main breadwinners. Wives would stay home, take care of the children and finish up house chores before the husbands came home to rest and prepare for another busy day ahead. The traditional belief was that the more fit the wife was for "naejo'' culture, the better off the husband would be out in society.

A short conversation between America's former first lady Hillary Clinton and her husband Bill also shows how the current Secretary of State believed in the importance of her role as a wife. The couple stopped by a gas station only to find Hillary's former boyfriend was the owner. When her husband told her she could have ended up as the owner's wife, she replied that then the gas station owner would have become the president. Incidentally, South Korea's first lady Kim Yun-ok also defined "naejo'' as the "opposition party,'' for sometimes you must harshly criticize your husband's deeds.

As many women nowadays often choose their careers over staying at home and solely supporting their husbands, the drama will try to bring back the passionate wives who supported their husbands, though with a modern and more aggressive twist.

"In the drama, Cheon follows Yang and helps her with house chores, shopping, and sometimes even cooks for her, which is harder to do when the person is someone you hate. For me, I think the best 'naejo' is to help the husband feel comfortable, which is necessary to go out and work well,'' Kim said.

Married to fellow actor Kim Seung-woo, she also added that her husband didn't need the help, or naejo, because he was nothing like Ohn in the story.

Kim's husband made a cameo appearance in the drama, making a "wejo'' move, referring to the husband's version of "naejo.''

"I decided to appear in the drama just to support my wife, who is returning to the television screen after many years,'' Kim said, smiling at the shoot.

With high expectations in bringing the tactics and strategies for supporting diffident husbands to the small screen, " My Wife Is a Superwoman'' will start airing March 16 at 9:55 p.m. on MBC.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: KBS

http://english.kbs.co.kr/life/trend/1574868_28548.html

Villains Rule the TV Scene

[ 2009-03-11 ]

090311.jpg

Female characters on TV dramas are increasingly growing vicious these days, like those in the dramas “Boys Over Flowers”, “Cruel Temptation” and “Again, My Love” While the main characters typically grab the spotlight at the beginning, it’s the vicious characters who steal the spotlight as time goes by. The popularity of “nice” characters has been on decline recently, giving way to malicious villains. Vicious yet charming characters first appeared on Korean TV dramas about a decade ago. They first drew viewers’ attention through the SBS TV drama “Trap Of Youth,” which dealt with the subject of revenge. Its viewer ratings soared to 35.7 percent (according to AGB Nielson), attesting to its enormous popularity. In the drama, the innocent-looking main character, played by Shim Eun-ha, avenged herself upon the man who she was in love with but who had betrayed her.

Many other TV dramas picked up on the trend, including “Women’s World” and “Mermaid Lady.” Since then, the popularity of vicious characters has remained very high among viewers. The TV drama “My Man’s Woman” depicted a story of a woman who fell in love with her friend’s husband, while the TV drama “Women In The Sun” portrayed the story of a woman who abandoned her younger sister.

In the past, vicious female characters were hard to see on TV dramas. They mostly played supporting roles and portrayed women who were jealous of main characters. But starting in the late 1990s, vicious characters began drawing the spotlight for portraying successful women and even surpassing the main characters in terms of popularity. As a result, vicious characters have come to play the leading roles in dramas, captivating viewers’ hearts with their confident and charming images.

More vicious characters in the 2000s

A survey shows that women in their 30s and 40s are the biggest fans of TV dramas featuring malicious characters. As women’s social status keeps improving, charismatic female characters appearing onscreen have emerged as new role models that inspire viewers.

“Vicious” style the latest rage

Another reason malicious drama characters are enjoying popularity lies in their good looks that appeal to the public. A growing number of vicious female characters appearing on TV dramas these days have alluring looks that make it impossible to hate them. Their tiny and oval-shaped faces represent the ideal for many women because small faces go well with any hairstyle. Actresses playing vicious roles look gorgeous with their diverse hairstyles, including natural wavy hair of various lengths and tied-up hair revealing their foreheads.

As a result of the “vicious character” boom, plastic surgery clinics have been receiving many inquiries about "V-shaped face" surgeries. With the development of new operating methods enabling faces to look slim without any massive operations, many women have been considering giving it a try.

The fashion styles and makeup of actresses playing “villains” are also the latest rage. Apparel and accessories used by vicious characters on TV dramas have been setting new fashion trends and have even resulted in the emergence of the term “vicious look.” Its key point is a sophisticated hairstyle. The majority of malicious characters have either long wavy hair or voluminous medium-length hair cut.

Kim Seo-hyung’s “femme fatale” bangs and wavy hair

The wavy hairstyle of Kim Seo-hyung from the TV drama “Cruel Temptation,” which became a huge hit early this year, underscored her outrageous image in the drama. It represents a successful woman with a very sharp image. Her bangs effectively conceal undesired facial features in women with rectangular, long or round faces, while her wavy hair adds to her sophisticated look. Bangs look good when styled using a roll brush. When styling the front and rear parts of the hair, roll the hair halfway down from the roots to prevent your head from looking too big.

Jeon In-hwa’s elegant tied-up hair

Jeon In-hwa, who plays a malicious character in the drama “Again, My Love” appears in a completely new image with tied-up hair. Her voluptuous and frilly clothes add to her elegant and feminine look.

Amy’s “sharp” bob cut

Actress Amy has recently made a comeback on the cable TV show “Bad Girl Returns” with a refreshing and sassy short haircut. It was even dubbed “Amy’s haircut” and it features sharp edges and voluptuous hair that looks both refined and cute.

Guest kdramafanusa

First teaser for Story of a Man

March 19th, 2009 // by javabeans

20090319.02500199040261.01L.jpg

Kim Kang-woo

KBS’s Story of a Man [남자이야기] is revving up promo for its premiere (to follow Boys Before Flowers), starting with these character posters and its first teaser video (watch below).

Despite the hype, my initial impression is that the Song Ji-nah-penned corporate-crime-thriller series probably won’t be a match for her previous masterworks Sandglass or Eyes of Dawn, but her involvement is still drawing buzz. (Those two set the bar really high, and are among the highest-rated Korean dramas of all time, in addition to drawing overwhelming critical praise.)

20090319.02500199040261.04L.jpg

Park Shi-yeon, Park Yong-ha

In Story of a Man, On Air actor Park Yong-ha is initially a carefree rich boy, living life without much effort. However, his outlook is shaken when he “loses money, love and family in one instant” and is imprisoned for attempted murder. In prison, his eyes are opened to the “real world” beyond the privileged one he’d lived in.

Realizing that money rules all, he toughens up and decides to square off against that money-driven world, facing powerful opponents as he enters the realm of finance and stocks.

Kim Kang-woo and his Marine Boy co-star Park Shi-yeon round out the lead trio. Kim is an ambitious, cold-hearted antagonist to Park Yong-ha and sees life as a game ruled by money. As such, expect to see him always perfectly coifed and wearing sleek designer suits (as below) — yum! Meanwhile, Park Shi-yeon plays the good-hearted girlfriend to Park Yong-ha.

Story of a Man airs its first episode on KBS on April 6.

I’ll be interested in seeing how this fares, given that it’s going up against Ja Myung Go and Queen of Housewives — both are new series that have had their potential stifled by the popularity of Boys Before Flowers, and both may pick up audiences after BBF ends.

Or (and this is my prediction), we may find that once BBF is done, audiences will be more in the mood for something entirely new and watch Story of a Man instead of jumping into a drama mid-way. Perhaps it’ll appeal to viewers who prefer more action-driven and hardened storylines now that East of Eden has wrapped. But what do I know? We’ll see soon enough.

namiyagi4.jpg

namiyagi11.jpg

namiyagi1.jpg

namiyagi5.jpg

Via Sports Khan, Mk.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Kim Sun-ah takes on Allure, City Hall

March 19th, 2009 // by javabeans

Kim Sun-ah shows her sexy side again for her latest photo shoot, this time for beauty magazine Allure. The shoot is described as “chic and modern,” though I think it’s also got a retro flapper vibe with her bobbed hairstyle.

The new look accompanies her next role; Kim’s next drama project is the upcoming City Hall [씨티홀], in which she stars as a mayor.

She says of the role, “I think the different hairstyle in playing the energetic mayor character of Shin Mi-rae was a good change that helped me find a different part of myself to show, and gave me a good feeling. I’ll do my best to suit my character and show many sides of myself.”

City Hall depicts Kim Sun-ah as a woman who worked herself up from lowly official to a mayoral position. It comes from the writer-director combo who worked on the successful SBS drama On Air, Kim Eun-sook and PD Shin Woo-chul. It co-stars Cha Seung-won (Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth), Chu Sang-mi (My Woman, Snow in August), and Lee Hyung-chul (On Air).

The drama is currently filming and will air on SBS on Wednesdays and Thursdays; it premieres mid-April and will follow the current series, Cain and Abel.

Incidentally, this puts Kim squarely opposite Kwon Sang-woo’s new MBC series, Cinderella Man, as well as a new KBS miniseries called Six Months starring movie stars Kim Ah-joong and Hwang Jung-min(!!!) which I’ll have to look up next.

Via Star News

Archived