Dramas [2008~2009]

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest riehae

Thanks for starting this thread. Hope this gets pinned. There are so much to look forward to next year. A lot of dramas which casts some of the artists I like. A lot of small screen comeback. But I'm also waiting for new dramas which casts the other artists that I like. I'll be monitoring this thread.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdramafanusa

Iljimae <일지매>

ORIGINAL: Ko Woo-young 고우영

PD: Hwang In-roi 황인뢰 ("Princess Hours", "Prince Hours"), Kim Soo-young 김수영

SCRIPT: Kim Kwang-sik 김광식, Do Young-myung 도영명 ("Prince Hours")

CAST: Jung Il-woo, Yoon Jin-seo, Kim Min-jong, Jung Hye-young, Park Geun-hyung, Lee Kye-in

Episodes: 24

Broadcast Time: Wednesday/Thursday 9:55pm on MBC

First Broadcast: 2008-11-19 (replacing "Beethoven Virus")

Related Links: Soompi thread

Articles: 1, 2, 3

200810061155178030zc6.jpg

http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=200810061135451001

We will have 3 sageuks on Wednesday/Thursday timeslot: "Iljimae" (MBC), "Painter Of The Wind" (SBS), "Kingdom Of The Wind" (KBS2). {Yoo Ji-tae & Choi Ji-woo's "Star's Lover" will replace "Painter Of The Wind" starting on December 3rd.}

2008100610522061130_1.jpg

http://star.moneytoday.co.kr/view/stview.p...100610522061130

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: JavaBeans

An extension pending for Beethoven Virus

October 6th, 2008 // by javabeans

06151340593_60800010.jpg

No doubt MBC is loath to relinquish one of its few successes in a pretty drab year. They are now in talks to extend the Wednesday-Thursday classical-music drama Beethoven Virus, which is performing well at first place in its slot.

An MBC rep explained, “We’re talking of extending the series by two or three episodes. We still have yet to settle the issue with the actors.” If the extension is greenlit, the drama (which has aired half of its intended 16-episode run) may finish with a final count of 19 episodes instead.

Note also that only one episode will air next week; a soccer game will push the 11th episode to October 16 (instead of Wednesday the 15th).

Personally, I usually take the stance that extensions are not a good idea, but I’m behind on Beethoven Virus. What do you think — woohoo, or booo?

Via No Cut News

Guest kdramafanusa

Setting sail from the World They Live In

October 5th, 2008 // by javabeans

world27eef291jb3.jpg

Song Hye-gyo and Hyun Bin shoot their upcoming drama The World They Live In in this just-released still photo

The drama also features actors Cha Soo-yeon (Nowhere to Turn) as Hyun Bin’s old girlfriend, Bae Jong-ok (Heavenly Beauty Park Jung-geum), Eom Ki-joon (Kimchi Cheese Smile), Daniel Choi (Golden Apple), and Seo Hyo-rim (Insoon Is Pretty), It airs on KBS starting October 27.

~~~~~

Interview from the drama set with Song Hye-gyo

October 6th, 2008 // by javabeans

200810010482.jpg

With Song Hye-gyo gearing up to come back to television, she’s again in the spotlight (not that she’s ever really out of it) after taking some time since her last project, the high-budget flop that was the film Hwang Jini. (Her performance was seen as passable, but the movie itself was not a success.)

DongA.com conducted an interview with the actress while on set for her new KBS drama The World They Live In (director Pyo Min-su, writer Noh Hee-kyung), co-starring Hyun Bin.

With her thirties approaching (she’s 28, Korean age), she mentioned that she’d likely be turning her thoughts seriously to marriage once she’s in her thirties. She said up-front, “t would be nice to have a boyfriend. I think I’d like best someone I could connect with through conversation.” Of course, she recognizes that as a top star, this is easier said than done, with one’s every action under the strict scrutiny of others.

This is, in fact, something she’s learned from her past experience as part of a high-profile star couple (she dated Lee Byung-heon after the two starred in the drama All In). “The viewers suddenly learned, while in the midst of watching a drama I was acting in, that I was somebody’s girlfriend. In the end, this was an obstacle and only served to create a sense of dislike among viewers.”

Now she’s learned to draw a clear line between private and public life. Furthermore, she’s changed her outlook on projects, saying that while she’d previously chosen her projects thinking of overseas exposure, “now I won’t hesitate to take risks. I want to be a prolific actor and work in a variety of genres and characters, and experiment as much as I want.”

It hasn’t seemed that long, but it’s actually been four years since you were in a drama.

“Maybe it’s because the dramas are re-aired. In the summer it’s always Full House, in the fall it’s Autumn Fairy Tale, and All In in the winter. Cable television keeps airing them.”

In this drama, your occupation is a drama PD.

“I’ve because I’ve seen this as keeping a promise with director Pyo Min-su, whom I worked with on Full House. Joining with him again was a clear choice, and I’d always wanted to do something that scriptwriter Noh Hee-kyung had written. I like her writing so much that it makes acting more difficult, and I’m more careful for fear I won’t do well.”

Through your work in the drama, you’ve seen the perspective as a PD. Have you wondered what it is that a PD desires of the actors?

“Isn’t it enough to act well?” [Laughs.]

What kind of change will we see in twenty-eight-year-old Song Hye-gyo as an actor?

“If I stay up all night even once, I’ll have dark circles under my eyes. As an actor, I think my sense of responsibility has grown stronger. I’ve also come to want to achieve more in my acting.”

You look like you’ve lost some weight and matured.

“I think so too, say if I watch the drama Autumn Fairy Tale and compare myself with how I am now. Back then, it was like I was practically bursting. [Laughs.] In the end, constant exercise is the answer. I run, cycle, and do a lot of outdoor exercise.”

Song Hye-gyo shines more in dramas than in movies.

“Wait and see. I’ll show you more in my film work.”

When you finish this drama, you have John Woo’s film 1949 awaiting you.

“Starting in February, filming will begin and I’ll be going back and forth to Taiwan and China to cities like Shanghai. I’ll be swamped as I work on the drama and study Chinese at the same time. This drama will go on record as being the drama with the most amount of dialogue that I work on in my life. Or in other words, it’s one hurdle after another.”

Your Hollywood debut film Make Yourself at Home was invited to this year’s Pusan International Film Festival.

“It’s an independent film. It’s marketed as a Hollywood debut, which is a very big burden. I’d merely thought of it as a plot I liked, combined with my desire to try something in the English language.”

What is the everyday Song Hye-gyo like?

“When I’m not working, I travel, hang out with friends, and take the chance to learn things I’d been wanting to learn. I cook at home occasionally. I can do most Korean food pretty well — my mother says that my cooking is better.”

Via DongA.com, DongA again.

Guest kdramafanusa

Iljimae readies for Round 2

October 7th, 2008 // by javabeans

200810060112.JPG

Get ready for the next Iljimae series! If you’re not all Iljimae-d out, that is.

I don’t envy the folks behind MBC’s version of the story of folk hero Iljimae, following SBS’s popular series earlier this year with Lee Junki and Park Shi-hoo. Now MBC’s finally getting ready to launch their series, starring Jung Il-woo in the titular role, to take the Wednesday-Thursday slot after Beethoven Virus vacates it next month.

When I’d first heard of the two Iljimaes, I’d initially thought that MBC’s version, directed by Hwang In-roi of Goong and then starring Lee Seung-gi, had the slight edge in that they had licensed the original Iljimae manhwa upon which to base their story (SBS, working without the source material, essentially made up their own story). SBS had the bigger actors, but MBC had the famous story, and to me, that gave it the advantage.

But then Lee Junki’s series was a big hit, Lee Seung-gi dropped out of the MBC role, and Jung Il-woo left Triple to take over (thankfully for Triple). Funny how Jung Il-woo was such a breakout hit star after his turn in Unstoppable High Kick — much more so than his co-stars Kim Bum, Kim Hye-sung, and Park Min-young, who have all since risen to make names for themselves — but Jung has since faded from the limelight.

Cast alongside him are Yoon Jin-seo (Beastie Boys) as his love interest, Kim Min-jong (Hyena), Jung Hye-young (East of Eden), and Park Geun-hyung (East of Eden). Iljimae airs in late November — will you be watching?

Via Heraldbiz.com

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Times 10-09-2008 14:24

Mysterious Artist Resurfaces on Modern Culture Scene

By Chung Ah-young

Staff Reporter

081009p09mysterious1de4vz7.jpg

Left: Actress Kim Min-sun plays Shin Yun-bok in a new film “Portrait of a Beauty.”

Right: Actress Moon Geun-young also stars as Shin Yun-bok in a TV drama, “The Painter of Wind.’’

The Joseon Kingdom might have been the wrong time for mysterious, talented painter Shin Yun-bok who was ahead of his time due to his freewheeling and satirical disposition.

But Shin seems to be alive in modern times through various elements ranging from novels, TV dramas, films and art galleries.

So who was Shin Yun-bok?

081009p09mysterious2deeqt0.jpg

Veiled, Mysterious Life

Shin is better known by his pseudonym, Hyewon. Hyewon was one of the big three folk painters of the Joseon Kingdom (1391-1910), along with Kim Hong-do, known as Danwon, and Kim Deuk-sin. But it has recently been discovered that Shin's original name was in fact Shin Ka-gwon.

It is not exactly known when he was born or died, but experts assumed that he might have lived between 1758-1813.

In history and his career, Shin was overshadowed by Danwon, a peer who was widely known to Korean art circles and the public, although he developed his own unique technique and artistry.

Along with Danwon, he is known for his realistic depiction of the daily life of his time. But his paintings were not acclaimed at the time because they were erotic and sensual ― forbidden subjects under the rigid Confucian society.

It is rare to find historic records referring to Shin. But according to research by Lee Won-bok, director of the National Museum of Jeonju, given that painting was a hereditary occupation in the Joseon period, Hyewon's father and grandfather had both been court painters.

The research shows that he was tall and handsome. So the recent trend, to depict him as a woman in a drama and film, might be the result of his girlish penname "Hyewon'' meaning "a garden full with orchids'' and his frequent portrayals of women.

It is known he was expelled from the royal painting institute Dohwaseo because of his sensual paintings. But there is no record that he attended Dohwaseo. It is more plausible that Joseon society didn't allow a father and son to work together in the same workplace, as his father was also a painter, Lee argues in an article.

081009p09mysterious3e06ga1.jpg

Hyewon on the Cultural Scene

Western painters like Vincent van Gogh and Gustav Klimt have been reborn in numerous films.

But the rediscovery of the Korean painter first began with the best-selling book "The Painter of Wind'' written by novelist Lee Jung-myung. The book was first published last year.

The novel depicts Danwon as a teacher of Hyewon, who tracked the truth behind conspiracies happening in the royal court through paintings. More than 300,000 copies of the book were sold last year.

The novel has been recently been reworked as a TV drama starring actress Moon Geun-young and actor Park Shin-yang. Moon plays the genius artist Hyewon, while actor Park Shin-yang acts as fellow artist and mentor Danwon.

Shin is born a girl, but due to restrictions of education and other activities among women, she lives as a man her whole life, later finding herself in love with her tutor Kim in the drama.

The upcoming movie "Portrait of a Beauty'' is also spotlighting the painter's life, starring actress Kim Min-sun. The movie is drawing anticipation from the public, as its poster has become one of the hottest teaser promotions.

Directed by Jeon Yun-su known for his hit film "Le Grand Chef,'' the film is about a fatal love story revolving around Shin and his masterpiece "Portrait of a Beauty.''

Actress Kim plays the genius female painter who disguises herself as a man to survive in the Confucian era.

Another novel dealing with the Joseon Kingdom's enigma about Shin, "Color, Sharaku'' by Kim Jae-hee, is gaining popularity.

The book writes a veiled historical mystery surrounding Danwon and Hyewon, and the Japanese secretive painter, Toshusai Sharaku.

The book offers an interesting view, which suggests that Sharaku (1794-1795), one of the greatest masters of woodblock painting in Japan, was Shin.

Sharaku is also known as a painter with an elusive identity who went missing suddenly after 10 months in Japan, leaving behind memorable paintings. The author spins a work of historical fiction, juxtaposing Shin as an undercover agent Sharaku sent by Joseon.

The book is set in 1792 when Sharaku, abruptly appears in the city of Edo and swept people with his distinguished work.

"Some research show that Kim Hong-do was sent by King Jeongjo to Japan as an undercover agent. But after studying the paintings of Hyewon, I found the styles of the paintings of Sharaku and Hyewon are very similar rather than those of Kim. So I assumed Hyewon could be Sharaku,'' the author told The Korea Times.

She also said that the two painters lived at the same time, and Shin's age is closer to Sharaku while Kim was 10 years older.

"There is no record of Shin almost anywhere in history except for one or two cases. Even Kim Hong-do is mentioned less than 10 times, showing how rigid Joseon aristocratic society was,'' she said.

Not only the cultural productions but also the Gansong Art Museum is holding an exhibition to show "seohwa,'' or mixture of calligraphy and paintings, which shows traditional Oriental art combining diverse, affluent artistry with a time-honored history.

The museum presents 104 masterpieces including Shin's work "Portrait of a Beauty.''

In the museum, Shin's four masterpieces ― "Scenery on Dano Day,'' "The Lovers Under the Moon,'' "Who Will Be the Hero at the Brothel?'' and "A Boat Party on the Clean River.''

To enjoy the works, visitors can compare the scenes of the drama in which Moon portrays the "Scenery on Dano Day'' and "Who Will Be the Hero at the Brothel?''

Genre Painting ― Sensual, Colorful

Known above all for his genre-paintings, Shin drew primarily the daily life of the Korean upper class, called "yangban.''

Through their rich details, his paintings contribute to the knowledge of the customs and activities of the well to do in the late Joseon Kingdom.

His paintings usually show young scholars and noblemen enjoying themselves with gisaeng, or professional female entertainers, or simply depict the girls in various situations.

Given that the society was heavily ruled by Confucian moral norms, his paintings were often daring and sensual. But they kept temperance when he portrayed women's beauty without being too explicit

This is not only because he depicted amorous couples, but also because the gisaeng were the primary figures in his work.

With his daring use of women and their lovers as subject matter, Shin vividly depicted the passion and romantic tastes of his era. Shin also excelled at landscapes in the literati style with depictions of birds and animals, and calligraphy.

"His unprecedented colorful strokes and affection for women as the main subjects were unparalleled in the Joseon genre paintings. He was a libertine who rebelled against the Joseon rule by portraying forbidden subjects,'' said Kim, the author of "Color, Sharaku.''

She said that he was also good at copying Danwon's paintings. But he also expressed his pent-up complex of being middle class through his satirical paintings.

"His paintings and artistic world seem to meet the demands of modern people who are good at expressing themselves. So that's why more and more novels, dramas and films are revisiting Shin these times,'' she said.

chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

081009p09mysterious4e18yf2.jpg

081009p09mysterious5e1dpd9.jpg

081009p09mysterious6e21fe5.jpg

081009p09mysterious7e27sx6.jpg

Guest LOVINGDBSJ

Heys~Just asking but we do not have the channels like MBC or SBS in Singapore rite? Is it only available in KOREA~?

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2008.10.10

Are family dramas' glory days over?

Gone are the days of Sunday night soaps and romantic comedies, as what appeared to be a blip in the SBS weekend drama line-up turns out to be something of a trend.

The highly popular family-oriented series "First Wives' Club" signaled a shift from the usual syrupy romances that SBS used to churn out. The result was a huge success.

Ending on a high note last Sunday with nationwide viewer ratings of 40.2 percent (AGB Nielsen Media Research), the hit SBS drama revealed an untapped market.

200810090018.jpg

▲Park Shi-hoo stars as a bad boy in "Glory of the Family" [sBS]

But will SBS' winning streak continue? The major broadcasting channel is willing to test the waters with yet another family drama.

Starting tomorrow night, the new weekend series -- titled "Glory of the Family" -- explores the tangled and less than perfect lives of the illustrious Ha family. Centered on the filial granddaughter of the household Ha Dan-ah, played by Yoon Jung-hee, and her twin brothers, this drama is significantly weightier and more traditional than its predecessor.

"I think this drama will showcase the importance and pros of an extended family," said actor Jun No-min, 42, at the press conference on Monday.

Slated to play the morally upright twin brother of the family, veteran actor Jun stressed the pedantic nature of the upcoming drama.

Yet the series is not entirely devoid of comedy. Co-star Kim Sung-min, who is taking on the role of the playboy twin to Jun's character, is set to bring in laughs via an unlikely romance with tomboy singer-turned-actress Maya.

Kim won audiences over with his portrayal of a wicked and selfish husband in the hit drama "Fantastic Couple" (2006). Skilled at playing the cad, Kim looks like he will have his hands full keeping up with his loud and vivacious co-star.

But Kim and Maya's romance is a mere sidebar to the family-oriented series, which focuses on the granddaughter of the family, Ha Dan-ah.

"I wanted to write a story about a very backward woman," explained scriptwriter Jung Ji-woo. "I wanted to see how a woman who cannot speak up for herself and likes to sew could survive in modern society."

Jung's backward character Ha Dan-ah will be played by actress Yoon Jung-hee. Yoon rose to fame in the popular SBS drama "Dear Heaven" (2005) in the role of a sweet and filial daughter. And it looks like she has been typecast, yet again, into an equally sugary part.

As a counterpoint to Yoon's innocent character, co-star Park Shi-hoo is starring as her love interest.

"My character is a bad guy with irresistible charm," said Park, 30, at the press conference.

Inklings of a potential romance between Park and Yoon's characters will take root in the first few episodes of "Glory of the Family," with the passing away of the head of the Ha household and the ensuing traditional funeral rites.

The preview screening showcased the expansive funeral procession.

"I wanted to revive the significance of our dying traditions," said director Park Young-soo. "I worked hard to capture that."

"Glory of the Family" starts airing tomorrow night at 10 p.m. on SBS.

By Jean Oh

(oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Guest kdramafanusa

Cain & Abel emphasizes brotherly strife

October 9th, 2008 // by javabeans

20081010105405522.jpg

Urgh, confused yet again by the vaguery that is Doctor Stop aka Cain & Abel aka So Ji-sub’s comeback drama.

First called Cain & Abel, the drama had attached Jung Ryeo-won opposite So, but then undergone production delays and planning issues, losing both Jung and its original title. At one point the SBS president even said it was officially canceled. (You can read more about that here.) It was then called Doctor Stop and may or may not replaced its original PD, and then may or may not have gotten him back on board.

Anyway. Now the drama is back to being called Cain & Abel and has fixed upon a February 2009 premiere on SBS (it’ll be a Wednesday-Thursday series). Writing the script is Park Kye-ok; behind the camera is Kim Hyung-shik (Surgeon Bong Dal-hee).

Shin Hyun-joon has been cast as So Ji-sub’s brother, marking both lead actors’ return to television after five years — Shin in Stairway to Heaven and So in I’m Sorry, I Love You. Apparently part of the reason for the name switch (again) is to highlight the rift between the brothers (although I wonder if the Cain/Abel title actually ties into the story more than as a vague, thematic Biblical reference).

Filling in for Jung Ryeo-won’s vacated female lead role is Coffee Prince’s Yuju, Chae Jung-ahn. The drama starts filming in November.

Via JK News

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Soompi tv/film news

Song Hye Gyo and Hyun Bin will lead the KBS2 drama "Worlds Within (그들이 사는 세상)"

by: CindyW88

on: October 10, 2008 6:36pm

10/11/08 -- Song Hye Gyo and Hyun Bin (송혜교, 현빈) will lead the Monday-Tuesday drama "Worlds Within (그들이 사는 세상)" scheduled to be aired by KBS2 on 10/27.

20081007150121447d5_150503_0.jpg

Song Hye Gyo plays a PD Joo Joon Young (주준영) who has bold and unstoppable personality. Hyun Bin also plays a promising drama PD Jung Ji Oh (정지오). This drama focuses on TV stations by portraying the love and struggle of these 2 PDs during filming their respective projects as well as unfolding male and female staffs' love stories and marriages.

Actress Bae Jong Ok (배종옥) plays a cold-hearted actress with good acting skill. Actor Uhm Ki Joon (엄기준) plays a successful but cold-hearted PD Son Gyoo Ho (손규호). Actress Suh Hyo Rim (서효림) plays a rookie actress Jang Hae Jin (장해진) who has lovely and bright personality. Hae Jin and Gyoo Ho develop a relationship resulted from the conflict between love and ambition. Actor Pan Yoo Gul (판유걸) plays a troublemaker. The supporting cast also includes Yoon Yu Jung and Daniel Choi (윤여정, 최다니엘).

The PD is Pyo Min Soo (표민수) who directed the popular drama "Full House (2004)" led by Song Hye Gyo. The script writer is Noh Hee Gyung (노희경) who wrote for KBS2 drama "We are happy to ask a few questions (우리를 행복하게 하는 몇 가지 질문, 2007)" led by Bae Jong Ok.

200810091101561112_2.jpg

2008100600221_0.jpg

Bae Jong Ok

200810091101561112_1.jpg

Uhm Ki Joon

200806270834491112_1.jpg

Suh Hyo Rim

200807090929071114_1.jpg

Pan Yoo Gul

2008073000994_0.jpg

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...809220850431114

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...810091101561112

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...806270834491112

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...807090929071114

http://spn.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2...8073001082.html

Source: The Korea Times 10-12-2008 18:21

Song Hye-kyo to Become Producer in New Drama

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

Actress Song Hye-kyo will return to the small screen as an up and coming producer in KBS' new drama "Worlds Within'' produced by Pyo Min0su and written by Noh Hee-kyeong.

"When I finished filming 'Full House' with producer Pyo four years ago, we promised to work together with writer Noh. I was their fan and so I had no reason to say no,'' Song said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency.

"Worlds Within'' depicts the story of producers who work in a broadcast company. Her costar Hyun Bin will also appear as a fellow producer. The drama brings the two actors together as fellow students, colleagues and eventually, lovers.

"I liked that it wasn't a Cinderella story many people dream about. It's different from previous melodramas. Scenes that may really happen in our daily lives happen in the drama,'' she said.

After appearing in the hit drama "Full House'' with singer/actor Rain in 2004, she mainly worked on the big screen, appearing in two movies. She has also been active in commercial ads, both here and abroad. Her popularity in China led her to win a role in John Woo's new movie "1949'' with Taiwanese actor Chang Chen and also in signing a contract with Stellar Entertainment led by Chinese megastar Michelle Yeoh.

"I think working on something like 'Autumn Fairy Tale' led me to this point. People tell me that I'm a 'Hallyu' (Korean wave) star, but I'm the same. I just tell myself if I work well with my work now, everything will turn out fine. I'm not greedy, but I'm not that pressured either,'' said Song.

She will start filming the movie "1949'' next year and start her journey as yet another Korean actor expanding overseas.

"I don't think I was born to act. I've been acting for 12 years now, and me putting effort into it makes a large part of my acting. But I've never regretted my life as a celebrity. I want to have fun and be good at it,'' she added.

The drama "Worlds Within'' will start airing at 9:50 Oct. 27.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Twitch Oct 12, 2008

Moon Geun-Young Injured, 바람의 화원 (Painter of the Wind) Shoot Halted

Posted by X at 8:05am.

Posted in TV , Asia.

20081012211627808095105kl1.jpg

It must have been quite exciting, Korean Tv in the 1970s. Although you had landmark exceptions like 수사반장 (Inspector Chief), most TV dramas were shot on a sound stage, and broadcast live, as if we were dealing with a play. That might be one of the reasons why so many veteran TV actors are so good when it comes to reaction acting, after all those years of training on the spot. But the TV landscape of the 1970s is peculiarly resembling today’s TV circus in Korea, the “생방 (live broadcast)” shoot syndrome one of its most sinister symptoms.

Although the situation varies from country to country, you usually see a TV production secure funding and go through casting (or viceversa), complete its shoot or at least the vast majority of it, and then broadcast. But in Korea, where a drama can go belly up just because it fails to enter a broadcaster’s lineup, timing is everything. Projects might take even a couple of months to get the green light, but always wait in standby, until the timeslot has been secured, after which shooting starts. This means most miniseries only shoot between 4 and 8 episodes before broadcast starts, and that’s where problems begin. Shooting fast and editing even quicker is not really the problem (Koreans doing rather well by now): the issue is the script. With so much attention paid to ratings, the idea of starting with a completed script (or something to that extent) is only something the greats can do, think a Jung Ha-Yeon or Noh Hee-Kyung. The rest, even the talented ones, end up facing the nightmare of 쪽대본 (paper scripts) sooner or later. That is, scripts written on the fly, sent to the shooting location via fax or e-mail, trying to stick to the original synopsis yes, but often adapted to various production issues, such as the need to bloat every episode up to a ridiculous 70 to 80 minutes (the current trend, but some are even touching the 90 minutes), just to take full advantage of ad revenue. Which, in turns, hurts both the acting and the drama itself.

Sometimes you have third-party production companies interfering with last-minute casting decisions, even if they could end up killing narrative flow. That is what writer Yoo Dong-Yoon of 왕과 나 (The King & I) had to endure, after SBS and Olive9 used the sageuk as their personal rating toy, adding useless characters and making a very promising drama turn into a fat, slow and plodding dinosaur, which barely saved itself at the last minute. Sometimes it’s a problem of planning itself, like what the producers of 스포트라이트 (Spotlight) ended up doing, forcing someone like Lee Gi-Won (who writes well, but slowly) to adapt to these insane production speeds, and some say even asking him to rethink narrative directions because of low ratings, the reason why he resigned mid-flight and left the project to his assistant writers for the second half. What this craze generally does is only ruining dramas, but sometimes there’s something a little more dangerous at stake. A few years ago, 늑대 (Wolf) halted production after Eric Moon and Han Ji-Min went through an injury during a shoot, and this nightmare risked a nefarious deja-vu when Chae Si-Ra, star of the upcoming sageuk 천추태후 (Empress Cheonchu), fell off her horse during training. The situation was managed rather well, extending 대왕세종 (Sejong the Great) by five episodes, taking advantage of the various preemptions during the Olympics and whatnot, and finally getting to a point (now) where normality has been re-established and shooting is back to on course. Sadly, that doesn’t always work.

I spared no praise for SBS’ new fusion sageuk 바람의 화원 (Painter of the Wind), and there is a good reason for that. It’s full of wonderful, well researched details; it has an irresistible elegance and great music, top of the line CG and the kind of cinematography and narrative flow that at times turn this show into visual poetry. Moon Geun-Young is doing a superb job, the veterans are predictably great, and Park Shin-Yang is showing a kind of eclectic charm despite this not exactly being the right delivery for the genre; but also lesser actors like the inexperienced Moon Chae-Won and Park Jin-Woo somehow seem to make it. The praise should go to newcomer writer Lee Eun-Young, who’s adapting the novel wonderfully despite slightly deviating from it, and particularly PD Jang Tae-Yoo, who allegedly threw two months of shoot in the trash just because young Moon had completely immersed herself in the role after a while, so he decided to reshoot the earlier, a tad more “rustic” parts. There’s even a touch of history beyond details, which looks to grow even stronger in the coming months, as the mystery of Yoon-Bok’s father and his death get tied to the Prince Sado affair. Problem now is that Moon Geun-Young was injured during the shoot.

It’s nothing really serious, just a broken nose which will take about 10 days of rest, and will bring her back in front of the camera in two weeks. But of course this spells trouble for the production, which decided not to broadcast episode 7 and 8 next week, replaced by a few specials (which will apparently feature some new scenes), and it’s likely the week after might be at risk as well. Some “journalists” are speculating about paper scripts being the major culprit, but with a very solid synopsis already covering 15 episodes, and the foundation the novel gives you, I’d be very surprised if this was the problem. Biggest issue might be PD Jang himself, way too much of a perfectionist to let a rushed production interfere with his work. But of course the most important issue is macroscopic, concerning the need to establish a new structure, allowing those who want to enough time to complete their shoot before broadcast. With the current system, it’s certainly not possible. Halting the shoot is certainly inevitable, and might even help the drama in ways that nothing else would: the show is currently lagging behind the annoying misfire 베토벤 바이러스 (Beethoven Virus) and the sageuk 바람의 나라 (Kingdom of the Wind). This latest happening might bring back some attention to the show, and increase the chances it might do better ratings in the future. Also, despite this impasse, it doesn’t look like it will harm the quality of the show in any way.

What the broadcasters need to realize before it’s too late, though, is that quality takes time, that ratings are a very elusive chimera—unless you submit to lowest-common-denominator sensibilities like 조강지처클럽 (The First Wives’ Club), that is—and that the safety of the performers comes first. The TV industry in Korea actually resembles a lot what is happening in Wall Street, with the only exception that the powers that be aren’t trying to find a solution to the problem together (or at least pretending to), they’re just taking out the swords and trying to slay each other for whatever is left of the pie. And you know what happens when two enemies start blowing up things on the same boat. They both drown....

Still, we wish a speedy recover to Moon Geun-Young, who’s doing a truly marvelous job, and hope Painter of the Wind continues to impress until the end.

[Daum] [Daum]

~~~~~

“Painter” delayed due to more injury

October 12th, 2008 // by javabeans

coming200810122138300.jpg

Here’s the gist. Park Shin-yang broke Moon Geun-young’s nose and now Painter of the Wind production will be delayed as she heals.

Ow. And this comes just after she injured herself falling down a well during filming just a week before. Hopefully, accidents don’t become a trend for the SBS drama.

The details: On October 9, the cast and crew were filming episode 7 in Yongin’s Korea Folk Village. In the middle of an arguing scene between the two actors, Park Shin-yang’s elbow connected with the left side of Moon Geun-yang’s nose, giving her a (small) fracture.

Moon’s nose was bruised as a result, and an X-ray at the hospital revealed her injury. She was moved to a Seoul hospital, where she underwent “simple surgery.”

According to her management, she will be taking a break from filming for at least a week while she recovers. The rest of the cast and crew will continue to film without their lead actor, but the production will still be pushed back because of her absence. Instead of the new episodes that were scheduled to air this week, SBS will be broadcasting a Painter of the Wind “special” program.

Via Hankook Ilbo

Guest kdramafanusa

Lee Ki-woo joins “A Star’s Lover”

2008101007009006706_1.jpg

Lee Ki-woo (A Love to Kill, Someone Behind You) is joining Hallyu heavyweights Choi Ji-woo and Yoo Ji-tae in their upcoming romantic drama A Star’s Lover.

The new SBS Wednesday-Thursday series will take over after Painter of the Wind wraps, and is written by Oh Soo-yeon (Winter Sonata, Autumn Fairy Tale, All About Eve) and directed by Bu Sung-chul (Lobbyist).

While Yoo Ji-tae plays a part-time university instructor who falls in love with top actress Choi Ji-woo, Lee Ki-woo steps into the role of a CEO from a wealthy family who becomes the third leg of the love triangle. Sounds like pretty standard stuff — but the thing I find funny about this casting is because I personally think Lee Ki-woo looks a lot like Yoo Ji-tae (below). Don’tcha think?

yjt14947901edy0.jpg

And, given that they’re playing rivals and not brothers, it’ll be a bit weird seeing two tall, facially similar men duking it out to win over Choi Ji-woo. Plus it’ll add (for me at least) a weird, unintentional Freudian undertone — who knows, maybe they’ll show a flashback and have both guys alternating in the role of Choi’s father, which oughtta go a long way to explaining the resemblance.

Hey, Oh Soo-yeon wrote Autumn Fairy Tale — creepy Freudian undertones are not unknown to her.

Via OSEN

~~~~~

Auditions for “Friend” pick up steam

chingu1a45fceic0.jpg

It was announced a while ago that 2001’s successful film Friend, starring Jang Dong-gun and Yoo Oh-sung, is getting the television drama treatment by MBC (is this the golden age of the remake miniseries or what?). Now auditions are kicking off to fill out its lead foursome.

The two main roles are already cast — Hyun Bin and Kim Min-joon take on Jang and Yoo’s lead roles — but the other two characters are still plum opportunities for new faces or rising stars. The drama, titled Friend: The Unending Story, will be helmed by the same director behind the film, Kwak Kyung-taek, and written by Han Seung-woon (of last year’s film Love).

As director Kwak is reportedly looking for a combination of strong acting skill and a perfect Saturi accent, the drama production team is holding multiple auditions between Seoul and Busan to choose from the widest pool of possible actors, from rookies to well-known names. Kwak has narrowed down his choice for the lead female role to two well-known actresses, although the candidates’ names have not been divulged.

The drama will start filming in January 2009 and is currently planning to air next May.

Via Hankook Ilbo

Guest kdramafanusa

Introducing “The World They Live In”

October 20th, 2008 // by javabeans

worldpc2185724cs1.jpg

The anticipated new drama The World They Live In is set to take over the Monday-Tuesday prime-time slot for KBS. On October 20, the series starring Song Hye-gyo and Hyun Bin in their drama comebacks held its production press conference.

Not only does this drama boast Song’s return to television after four years (Full House was her last) and Hyun Bin’s after two (since Snow Queen), it has also attracted much notice for the teaming of its director, Pyo Min-su (Full House), with much-lauded scriptwriter Noh Hee-kyung (Goodbye Solo, More Beautiful Than a Flower).

The 16-episode drama takes the time slot vacated by Love & Marriage, which ends today. That means it’ll soon be doing its best to challenge the current ratings leader, East of Eden (and the slightly less-watched Tazza).

In the drama, which is set at a broadcast station, both Song Hye-gyo and Hyun Bin play drama PDs who work together and fall in love. Song recently cut off her long hair to play the role of a professional whose appeal is described as more “asexual” (their word) than overt.

Song said of taking on the role, “When I first received the synopsis, I thought it was so interesting. Also, there was no reason for me not to do this with a director and writer I respect so much.” As for starring opposite Hyun Bin, she said, “I almost worked with him in the past, but that didn’t happen and now I finally get be paired with him in this project. Because I work well with Hyun Bin, who’s a mature and warm person, I’m receiving a lot of help from him.”

Hyun Bin also explained that while he appreciated being able to take on new experiences, “I felt a little embarrassed to be acting as a PD in front of a real PD.”

The World They Live In premieres next Monday, on October 27, but there will be a “special” broadcast tomorrow, on the 21st. The program shows brief interviews from the cast’s overseas shoots in Singapore.

Press conference photos:

I don’t quite know how Hyun Bin manages to look so dapper in some angles, and such a mess in others, such as this one:

images

Writer Noh Hee-kyung with PD Pyo Min-su; Seo Hyo-rim (Insoon is Pretty) with Eom Ki-joon (Kimchi Cheese Smile); Bae Jong-ok (Heavenly Beauty Park Jung-geum):

images

Kim Yeo-jin (Yi San); Lee Da-in (The Person I Love) with Daniel Choi (Golden Apple):

images

worldpc101a5734kg1.jpg

Via Newsen, My Daily

~~~

Source: The Korea Times 10-21-2008 15:47

Song Hye-kyo Returns to Small Screen

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

081021_p14_song.jpg

Actress Song Hye-kyo, left, and Hyun Bin to star in new drama “Worlds Within”

Korean dramas are full of entertainment, with cliched yet dramatic plots, cute and handsome male characters, both main and supporting, and always a young pretty heroine.

Among these heroines is Song Hye-kyo, 26, who will appear in the new drama "Worlds Within.'' She returns to the small screen for the first time in four years after her hit series "Full House'' with top singer/actor Rain.

"For the past four years, I have been working on three films and so I was more accustomed to the movie filming atmosphere. TV dramas require quick reactions and with help from the director, I'm now back on track,'' Song said at a press conference of the program Monday at a hotel in Seoul.

The makers of the drama also made headlines, as the producer Pyo Min-soo, who brought "Full House,'' and writer Noh Hee-kyeong have teamed up. It is the first time in six years for the makers to get together for a program.

Despite criticism that large-scale dramas lack depth in both plot and charm, Pyo said the series will be bigger than any program he has worked on.

"I'm trying to bring reality to the drama making process which takes place within "Worlds Within.'' The scale has become larger than before, and to be frank, I was worried if I could manage it all,'' he said.

But Pyo assured that he will try to show even the smallest details of the daily lives of producers.

Song plays Joo Jun-young, a producer working her way in the male dominated world of drama creators. Actor Hyun Bin will play her mentor, who makes Joo's character's life miserable at first, but later discovers his affection toward the hard-working and passionate newcomer.

"My character is much like a tomboy. I try to portray the look by being as natural as possible, but I don't try too hard by getting messy. It's the most realistic character I've done in my career,'' said Song.

The actress has indeed played various roles, from a dying patient and poker dealer to a silly student.

Song made her debut as a model, becoming the winner of a school uniform model competition at the age of 14.

She then played the character of a cute and clumsy student in the hit sitcom "Sunpung'' (1998), but failed to make a lasting impression among fans.

Song finally made it big starring in "Autumn Fairy Tale'' with Song Seung-heon in 2000 and "All In'' with Lee Byeng-hun in 2003. The dramas' popularity soared not only in Korea, but also abroad including Japan, Taiwan and Europe, and Song finally became one of "Korea's sweethearts.''

However, she failed to bring her charm to the big screen with her first movie "My Girl and I''. Song continued her journey in the movie industry with the historical film "Hwang Jin-yi.''

She recently acted in the American indie movie "Make Yourself at Home'' and finally, John Woo's upcoming movie "1949'' along with Taiwanese actor Chang Chen.

"The dramas that I worked on were successful, but not the movies. I still have many opportunities, and I will not be discouraged. I think actors grow as they taste failure and so I don't have any fears about the drama not becoming popular,'' she said.

"Worlds Within'' starts Oct. 27 at 9:55 p.m. on KBS.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Main cast almost complete for Cain & Abel

October 20th, 2008 // by javabeans

hanjimin47hj3.jpg

Although the media is careful to say the details aren’t finalized, they are reporting that Han Ji-min (Capital Scandal, Yi San) is on the shortlist to fill out the main cast of SBS’s Cain & Abel.

Either she is really close to being cast, or the media is jumping the gun again. She does seem to be seriously considering the role, and even went out earlier this month to eat with and spend some bonding time with the other three confirmed lead actors, So Ji-sub, Shin Hyun-joon, and Chae Jung-ahn. In any case, her management has acknowledged that Han will be making her decision soon, so we won’t have to wait long to find out.

A source at production house Plan B Pictures said, perhaps indicating their eagerness to bring in Han, “Because we’re still in the process of writing the script, the character can be adjusted.” Although Cain is a medical drama, her character is not a doctor, unlike leads So Ji-sub and Shin Hyun-joon, who also play brothers.

Han Ji-min finished up the long-running sageuk Yi San earlier this summer. Cain & Abel plans to start shooting in November and will air next February.

UPDATE: Han Ji-min is confirmed for Cain & Abel.

2008102014153447628_1.jpg

Via Star News

Guest kdramafanusa

The Return of Iljimae

October 21st, 2008 // by javabeans

200810211432441116_1.jpg

To differentiate itself from the SBS Iljimae that aired earlier this year, MBC is unveiling a new name for its version: The Return of Iljimae.

(The title is meant to avoid confusion with the Lee Junki drama, but I think it’s equally confusing. Who wants to bet there’s still a small contingent of viewers thinking it’s some kind of sequel instead of an entirely different version?)

Anyway. The drama starring Jung Il-woo as the masked (but honorable!) bandit will take over its Wednesday-Thursday timeslot from Beethoven Virus next month. This drama takes its story from the well-known manhwa from the ’70s by artist Go Woo-young, and tracks the young man’s transformation into the notorious Robin Hood-y character he eventually becomes.

The story begins when Iljimae is abandoned as an infant (under a plum-blossom tree, the origin of his trademark blossom image) and adopted by poor commoners and taken to China. There he grows up, coming back years later to his homeland to find his birth parents (but is diverted instead to Japan through bad luck). He fights the second Manchu invasion of Korea (in 1636) and participates in a rebellion plot, eventually making it back to his native Joseon. (I think this actually doesn’t sound as bad as I’d feared initially.)

While the main PD is director Hwang In-roi of Goong, he is backed by director Kim Soo-young (Goong S) and a team of two scriptwriters, Kim Kwang-shik (When Night Comes) and Do Young-myung (Goong S).

The drama airs starting November 19.

Via My Daily

Guest kdramafanusa

Jung Il-woo makes a surprising(ly hot?) Iljimae

October 21st, 2008 // by javabeans

iljimaejiw2706db2pm6.jpg

O_O

This is a PURELY SUPERFICIAL judgment, but looking at the newly released stills of Jung Il-woo dressed as Iljimae (above), I start to feel hope for MBC’s upcoming The Return of Iljimae.

If you’d asked me months ago whether Lee Junki or Jung Il-woo would have looked better as the masked bandit, I would have said, “Lee Junki, hands down,” and laughed in your face about Jung Il-woo. But then — and this is my opinion only! — one of my initial blocks against SBS’s Iljimae was that Lee Junki came off as unexpectedly silly with his Hannibal Lecter-esque metal mask and penchant for overacting.

(Don’t get me wrong, I like Lee Junki but I hated his look. In contrast, Jung Il-woo looks serious but not too hammy and, to my great surprise, actually pretty good. And doesn’t he almost look… Jae Hee-ish in that photo?)

Again, I recognize this is totally superficial based on a few still photographs, but yeah, I’m that surprised.

jiw6971afb1gy8.jpg

Maybe it’s unfair, but I’ve been keeping my expectations very low for Jung Il-woo.

I liked him in High Kick but didn’t really think he was a natural choice for a sageuk hero. Especially since he normally looks like this! (Smooth skin, slightly baby-faced, and good-looking in a feminine sort of way.)

In addition to donning Iljimae’s period costuming, Jung reportedly lost weight to sharpen his features and to look more like the part. Sometimes I think actors take the whole “weight loss for a role” bit too far (see: Lee Da-hae dropping weight for East of Eden — like she needed to lose weight to begin with — and getting hospitalized in the process). But In this case I think it really worked to his benefit and added maturity to his look.

To compare the two Iljimaes:

Lee Junki, left. Jung Il-woo, right:

iljimae1073868fai4.th.jpgthpix.gifiljimaejiw173c044jt9.th.jpgthpix.gif

And again:

iljimae217433deyy5.th.jpgthpix.gifiljimaejiw27475aepi2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Via No Cut News

Guest kdramafanusa

Hyo-joo cast as Jaejoong’s love interest

October 22nd, 2008 // by javabeans

2008102208480340382_1.jpg

Remember how DBSK’s Hero Jaejoong was all set for his acting debut in the joint Korea-Japan project, Heaven’s Mail Deliverer? His co-star has been cast, and it’s Iljimae’s Han Hyo-joo.

The series is notable for its famous Japanese drama writer Kitagawa Eriko (Long Vacation) and its I’m Sorry, I Love You director Lee Hyung-min.

Jaejoong plays a “quirky” character who delivers messages from loved ones on earth to the deceased in heaven. Han Hyo-joo is described merely as his co-star.

A source with the production said, “Currently, the actors are in script rehearsal, and shooting will begin early next month.” The two-episode “telecinema” is looking at a May 2009 air date on SBS and will also get a theater release and DVDs in both Japan and Korea, which explains why the production was eager to cast leads who command fans in both countries.

Via Star News

Guest kdramafanusa

Han Chae-young joins Boys Before Flowers

October 22nd, 2008 // by javabeans

hcy7098b7cctl3.jpg

“Barbie doll” Han Chae-young teams up again with director Jeon Ki-sang, who’d made her into a star in 2005’s Delightful Girl Chun-hyang with Jae Hee, in the upcoming Boys Before Flowers.

She’ll take on a cameo role in the drama as an older “noona” on the receiving end of the affections of one of the main castmates; although her role isn’t explicitly named, I can only assume she’ll be taking on Shizuka’s character as the beautiful older model whom Rui loves, which puts her most in contact with Kim Hyun-joong out of the four F4 members.

If so, I can say that this is a pretty great bit of casting; Han Chae-young isn’t the best actor around (and worse than that, she doesn’t seem to be improving any with each new project), but Shizuka’s role is more image-based than acting-based, so she should fit right in. She can also pull of the calmer, older vibe to Gu Hye-sun’s Makino character — now we can only wait to see who gets cast as badass older sis Tsubaki. (Hm, I could see someone like Lee Hana doing a fair Tsubaki, or even Shin Mina or Han Eun-jung. Gong Hyo-jin?)

This will be Han’s third time working with Jeon; in addition to DGCH, she had a brief cameo at the end of his 2006 rom-com My Girl.

Via IS Plus

Archived