[drama 2009] The Iron Empress / Empress Cheon Chu 천추태후

Guest huangsy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ginny_potter

Just a quick question since I only started watching this drama recently.

Was Chi already married before he became king? Is that girl (the future Empress Seon Jeong) also his daughter? Forgive me, I am just very bad with names when it comes to saeguk dramas. But I have to admit this show has me hooked. From Kim So Eun to Chae Si Ra, I admire the lead character's strength and how much she had to sacrifice all these years for the sake of her loved ones.

Guest b00kw0rm

Just a quick question since I only started watching this drama recently.

Was Chi already married before he became king? Is that girl (the future Empress Seon Jeong) also his daughter? Forgive me, I am just very bad with names when it comes to saeguk dramas. But I have to admit this show has me hooked. From Kim So Eun to Chae Si Ra, I admire the lead character's strength and how much she had to sacrifice all these years for the sake of her loved ones.

Yes, Chi was married. He says he was forced into the marriage by his grandmother. His wife was already expecting her late husband's child when he married her.

I am missing the young Cheon Chu!

while I hate that he's taken away su's son, he does have a point. Their grandmother was going to raise him to become power hungry and driven. She basically sacrificed her su and song to an insane king. I also think some of his policies are more beneficial to the people. However Iam still on su side and can't wait for her to get revenge. They have paced the storyline well so far and seems epic.

well I've said my peace.

I agree with you, chi does have a point there. The grandmother was really scary sometimes.. I think Chi was trying to stop the cold war between the clan while the grandmother was fixed to her point that someone from their clan must be the king. But the problem with chi is he was easily influenced by the corrupt shillans officials.. IMO (watched only on ep 8 now) he's not a cruel and thoughtless king, when choi the soccerer told him that he must kill both su and her son to keep the throne, he didnt agree.. he separate su frm her son instead and raised the son as his own.. and more he is crowning the son as the crown prince.. talking to his trusted official 'please dont look at him as someone frm Hwangju clan but pls judge him based on his up bringing'. which made me think that he believes in good teaching/leadership rather that bloodline.. He dont like war and prefer being in the safe side but that might looks coward too.. I'm not in anyone side yet.. I feel sorry for Su but i think she should not really be bothered by the clan difference but think that all citizen of goeryo are the same... BTW, is this history-based series?, I might talk not knowing what really happen but no offence to anyone..

I'm loving the storyline so far :D

Guest babymarzy07

Chi wants to be emperor for himself but he doesn't want to acknowledge it so he says it is what his grandmother wants, or if he is emperor he will be a good one and bring peace so for that reason he wnats the throne. like he is sacrificing himself. No-one but him seems to believe this! I can't stand his crocodile tears.

That choi guy is out for revenge. But I'm not sure why he wants revenge on the emperor when it was the previous emperor who banished him.

yeah i got that feeling too. after all his drama, what the heck. i dont want a brother like him. even before you could see it. and for me i think he was being so mean to su, after all she did marry the late emperor to save him and of course to help the emperor. ( even the emperor saw what a good person su is) and she had grown to love the emperor too. it was so sad to watch. and he did promise the emperor on his death bed not to harm them. but i think separating them like that and brain washing song in some ways (to make him think like him so when the time comes he rules/ what he asked of the mentor guy lord choe?) is so painful to make his sister beg in the snow, to wait not seeing her son driving her away. that's more painful to a mother than anything. if he wasnt really power hungry right? even if he is making song his royal prince now, he is only doing is because he has no male heir when really song is rightful heir and should be heir i think. watching her son not know the mom and not reconigze her, be akward around her is heartbreaking. i know that chi doesnt wanna harm his sister, but he is being a cruel brother too.

the preview of ep 9 in kbs world shows.. the kim chi yang guy? he is spy right? the leader who kidnapped seol/sul?

he is opposition group right? he means to harm su? or no?

in history, does song really become emperor eventually?

yeah i got that feeling too. after all his drama, what the heck. i dont want a brother like him. even before you could see it. and for me i think he was being so mean to su, after all she did marry the late emperor to save him and of course to help the emperor. ( even the emperor saw what a good person su is) and she had grown to love the emperor too. it was so sad to watch. and he did promise the emperor on his death bed not to harm them. but i think separating them like that and brain washing song in some ways (to make him think like him so when the time comes he rules/ what he asked of the mentor guy lord choe?) is so painful to make his sister beg in the snow, to wait not seeing her son driving her away. that's more painful to a mother than anything. if he wasnt really power hungry right? even if he is making song his royal prince now, he is only doing is because he has no male heir when really song is rightful heir and should be heir i think. watching her son not know the mom and not reconigze her, be akward around her is heartbreaking. i know that chi doesnt wanna harm his sister, but he is being a cruel brother too.

the preview of ep 9 in kbs world shows.. the kim chi yang guy? he is spy right? the leader who kidnapped seol/sul?

he is opposition group right? he means to harm su? or no?

in history, does song really become emperor eventually?

Hei chinggu...I'm watching this too! :P

Anywayz, I actually feel bad for Chi. I know what he did to Su was dreadful and despicable, and that there is no way or nothing he can ever do to salvage his relationship with his sister. However, I do have a soft spot for him because of his intentions to be a good ruler. It's kinda like a dilemma for him, because obviously he treasures his sister a lot, but at the same time, because of his naivety, he falls for the traps and cruel schemes of his Shillaan officials. He has ideals that he thinks he can achieve, for the better good of the country, but of course, we know it's an uphill task for him, for all his officials are either corrupted or power hungry. Until he finds out of the plots and plans of his officials, he will never realise that all this while he has merely been a puppet. As for him being a cruel brother to Su, it's just sad. I feel very very bad for Su...but for the King, it's like choosing one over another, when both are equally important and precious. He has to choose, and he chose his country.

As for the Kim Chi Yang guy, I think he's not a bad guy. He will eventually fall for Su I think?

He actually blocked an arrow to save Su in the preview no?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Chi may have ascended the throne with the intention of being a good ruler but the fact is, it was not his throne to ascend. He took the throne, then he separated his sister from her son and led the son to believe his mother abandoned him. The child looks scared to even be in the same room with his mother. What a heartbreak for mother and for the boy whom he professes to love like a son! He glosses over what he did as saying it is for his country? Really? Only for his country? All for his country? It is also good for Chi but he doesn't want to acknowledge that. He prefers to think he is a benevolent ruler. A good man would never have done what he did to the sister who scarified herself to save his sorry neck.

He blames his grandmother for being greedy for power. But again, who made the deal with the devil? Who is the one who took the throne, etc. C'mon Chi as long as he hides behind his grandmother and the evil officials (he promoted his father-in-law to be an official in his court!) he is a puppet, not a ruler and definitely, not benevolent. He separated mother and son only because of the prophecy that a united mother and son would topple his throne. If he allowed them to be together I think his sister would have really lived out what she said - that she is not interested in putting her son on the throne. Well too bad, now I am looking forward to the end of Chi's reign.

KaKak, thank you so much for continuing to upload KBS world version.

Thank you WithS2 for your wonderful subs! Also big thanks to the people at aja-aja!

Because I'm thinking of stopping to upload this drama on ViiKii soon. (Don't think I'll have much time, since Uni is starting soon...)

As for the Kim Chi Yang guy, I think he's not a bad guy. He will eventually fall for Su I think?

He actually blocked an arrow to save Su in the preview no?

Yeah, he will fall in love with the Su later... About the blocking an arrow..the Jurchens were sacrificing themselves to win the trust of the Queen (Su).

I have only started watching this saeguk last saturday an I'm only until ep 12.

I was only checking this one out and it turned out to be another saeguk I'm gonna love.

I love the characters especially the young Su.

I'm now looking forward to each episode.

Unfortunately I'm only watching this on viikii.

^ohhhhh. is that a mother-son bonding i see. am still at ep10 only since subs are not out

chi is just one useless puppet of the shillas

but kim chiyang, i have a feeling that he is the one su will fall for, and the one who she have to get rid of in order to reunite the country(mention in the synopsis).

if what coolsmurf say is true, then the whole clan of his are shillas?

anyhow, i'm very impressed by their fighting skills!

Guest nysophia_x_ii

well, I personally think that Chi is a very selfish person. He didn't think about his grandmother and the choices she made to help me get the throne. He blames his grandmother for putting the thoughts of becoming king in his head, yet he himself has a strong desire. Su blames him for not putting up enough courage to conquer the land and instead giving it up. By the way, the reason why he keeps Su's son Song as the prince is because he does not have a son to be the heir to his throne. In order for others to not try and usurp him, he keeps Song as a temporary crowned prince. So even in raising Song, he had a reason. I think that if he had a son, he would've never raised Song the way that he did.

Archived