Laptop Lagging And Getting Hot

Guest vic_taebin

Guest vic_taebin
Help!
I've had my fujitsu laptop for 4 years now and recently it's been getting really slow. Also, not only does it get laggy, whenever i turn on my laptop, it sounds like i'm turning on a freakin turbine machine because of the noise that's coming out of it and the heat it's exerting. My instincts are telling me that i should get more memory, but then i don't even know what that will do for my laptop. So if anyone can help me solve this problem and suggest any ideas on how to help my laptop from being laggy and burning hot, it would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Guest felinius

I've had my fujitsu laptop for 4 years now and recently it's been getting really slow. Also, not only does it get laggy, whenever i turn on my laptop, it sounds like i'm turning on a freakin turbine machine because of the noise that's coming out of it and the heat it's exerting. My instincts are telling me that i should get more memory, but then i don't even know what that will do for my laptop. So if anyone can help me solve this problem and suggest any ideas on how to help my laptop from being laggy and burning hot, it would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

For some reason that sounds like a fan problem or a hardware problem? Take a look at your laptop fan and see if there's any problems with it. Sometimes if your fan isn't running correctly your laptop will definitely overheat and can actually blackscreen or just turn off.

Guest lccyn

I have the exact problem yesterday too about laptop heating up.

There is no way i can clean the fan other than sending in for preventive maintenance right?

Black screen?? What happens if I get a blue screen... that's dummpy right?? Does that mean the laptop is totally over and condemned???

Guest felinius

I have the exact problem yesterday too about laptop heating up.

There is no way i can clean the fan other than sending in for preventive maintenance right?

Black screen?? What happens if I get a blue screen... that's dummpy right?? Does that mean the laptop is totally over and condemned???

I just looked it up real quick, lol. T_T

Your laptop isn't really considered condemned yet. One way that's suggested to clean the fan is to use an aerosol can (kind of like what you use to clean your keyboard keys) and see if it's clogged that way.

Blue screen is hardware problem I think. :sweatingbullets:

Guest i<3ramen

try buying one of those laptop-desk fans where you put your laptop on top of. it helped me drastically when i had overheating problems with my laptop i think theyre usually between like $10-25

Guest vic_taebin

Thanks for some of your suggestions!

For some reason that sounds like a fan problem or a hardware problem? Take a look at your laptop fan and see if there's any problems with it. Sometimes if your fan isn't running correctly your laptop will definitely overheat and can actually blackscreen or just turn off.

As a matter of fact, sometimes when i'm using my laptop, it would start lagging and the noise gets louder, then it either just freezes or just turns off by itself. Is that because of the fans? I don't think i have a hardware problem.... hopefully not. I tried opening my laptop to clean the fans, but then one of the screws is all messed up that i can't open it. So i'm trying to find a computer place to help open my laptop up and clean my fans? They do that kind of service, right? I've never been to one, so i don't know.

And as for the laptop desk fan, thanks, but those things just get my hopes up. I bought one and it would cool for 5 minutes, but then all of a sudden my laptop gets hotter and hotter.

Hi 626 person!

Most of the time you don't need to take it in. Just get a can of air and spray in the vents. Hopefully you will get a lot of dust shooting out. But if you do, they should be able to clean it out. Hopefully they actually open up the laptop to do proper cleaning rather than just spray in the vents. The only time it didn't work was with one of the laptops I was trying to fix and well you can think of the heatsink to be like a comb with the middle cut out for a fan... the dust was soo thick that it was caked in so air couldn't get through... I had to pick it out like dryer lint :x

Have you tried to look up the service manual for the laptop? Sometimes you can just take out ~2 screws and lift the keyboard... depending on the design you might get full access to the innards of the computer. Another laptop I had I was able to just unscrew a few bottom panels to access the fan and all that.

Oh and look at the task manager... watch the CPU use when you aren't doing anything. I would suspect something is running in the background giving you issues. Like a evil program or something giving your computer a lot more to process.

AND yes heat can cause your computer to slow down.

Its like this

running > gets hot > turns on fan > gets hotter > maxes out fan > still hotter > lowers the speed of processor to force it to cool > STILL rising in temperature > Thermal shutdown. Once it hits like 85c the parts can easily get permanent damage

Guest sentuhmentalfo0l

the blue screen of death!?

never gotten that before but a friend of mine

had to take it in where they had to fix the entire thing i think

Guest vic_taebin

Hi 626 person!

Most of the time you don't need to take it in. Just get a can of air and spray in the vents. Hopefully you will get a lot of dust shooting out. But if you do, they should be able to clean it out. Hopefully they actually open up the laptop to do proper cleaning rather than just spray in the vents. The only time it didn't work was with one of the laptops I was trying to fix and well you can think of the heatsink to be like a comb with the middle cut out for a fan... the dust was soo thick that it was caked in so air couldn't get through... I had to pick it out like dryer lint :x

Have you tried to look up the service manual for the laptop? Sometimes you can just take out ~2 screws and lift the keyboard... depending on the design you might get full access to the innards of the computer. Another laptop I had I was able to just unscrew a few bottom panels to access the fan and all that.

Oh and look at the task manager... watch the CPU use when you aren't doing anything. I would suspect something is running in the background giving you issues. Like a evil program or something giving your computer a lot more to process.

AND yes heat can cause your computer to slow down.

Its like this

running > gets hot > turns on fan > gets hotter > maxes out fan > still hotter > lowers the speed of processor to force it to cool > STILL rising in temperature > Thermal shutdown. Once it hits like 85c the parts can easily get permanent damage

haha thanks! Yea i'm thinking my laptop has a thick mat of dust stuck in the fans ... argh..very frustrating! =)

Guest JustUNuSUal

Oh my laptop is laggy as well!

But I don't think it's an overheating issue.

This blue screen came up 2x and my windows restarted itself each time -> hardware problem like what ppl said above?

Then they said this serious error occurred. It had alot of zeros in the error code -.-

And I've got this notice that pops up occasionally saying that i don't have enough virtual memory.

How do you increase it?

Having said that, my laptop is 5 years old and I think it's dying soon.

Anyway I'm freaking out and trying to backup my files.

Problem is i have an external hard-disk my laptop WON'T recognize (it's fine with other computers though) so i have to slowly transfer files into my USB and then into my hard-disk on another computer.

Guest Sagari

This blue screen came up 2x and my windows restarted itself each time -> hardware problem like what ppl said above?

Then they said this serious error occurred. It had alot of zeros in the error code -.-

And I've got this notice that pops up occasionally saying that i don't have enough virtual memory.

How do you increase it?

Problem is i have an external hard-disk my laptop WON'T recognize (it's fine with other computers though) so i have to slowly transfer files into my USB and then into my hard-disk on another computer.

i have the exact same problem. does anyone know how i can fix this? my laptop stops and gives my the blue screen than restarts itself.

I think you two have different computer problems... wonder if I can split posts oh well.

How do you increase it?

You can right click my computer > properties > Performance tab and I think it should be a option in one of the buttons.

Its very possible that you have overheating issues when things overheat, a lot of times the computer turns the part off and you crash. Its possible that its dusty, but its also possible you have damaged memory (the ram) and that can give you blue screens. If you can note what the blue screen says, we can try to research it more.

Does the external disk use external power? Like a AC adapter or is it the small ones if its the small ones, you may need to get a cable with 2 usb connectors on it to get more power. Doesn't always work but you can hope.

You can also network your files over if your computer is running. Like you can plug in a network cable or do it over wireless... I know of 3 solutions, windows file sharing (sometimes annoying), or a FTP program, or a HTTP program basically it starts your own private website so you can access it on the other computer on your own network. If you're interested those programs are free and just ask me for them.

i have the exact same problem. does anyone know how i can fix this? my laptop stops and gives my the blue screen than restarts itself.

Like I said above, try to read the screen if it automatically restarts, go to the system properties (right click my computer properties) and go to startup and recovery and somewhere in those you will find "Automatically restart after a system crash" and you can uncheck that so you can read the error messages.

But clean the vents... everyone clean your vents lol. I dust mine out like once a week and I always get a ton of dust!

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably a overheating problem. Download Core Temp and see what temp your CPU is running at. If your system is going overdrive for even the most minor tasks, who knows, malware/spyware or virus. Honestly, with a computer as old as yours, do a clean windows install once a year. And RAM is so cheap these days. Maybe a ram upgrade will be worthwhile for you.

Archived