What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Guest loO4la

Guest rachilde

American Gods is nothing short of awesome, I highly recommend it (and most of Neil Gaiman's stuff).

Haha I can tell by your username!

I really want to read more Murakami so I'll try that and I want to read Norwegian Wood and Sputnik Sweetheart, too. Okay, I want to read all Murakami books I can.

I have American Gods at home so I'll definitely be reading that now :D!

I love Norwegian Wood, it's really beautiful. So yes, definitely give that a shot (the film adaptation is crap, so just ignore its existence). Sputnik Sweetheart is also very good. I'd also recommend Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, it's one of my favourites and a novel that I feel gets a bit overlooked. South of the Border, West of the Sun is a bit intense but also enjoyable. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is quite heavy, but worth checking out.

If you prefer short stories, the collection in Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman is pretty good.

Haha I can tell by your username!

LOL, I'd almost forgotten about that. Are you a Neil Gaiman fan?

Guest rachilde

LOL, I'd almost forgotten about that. Are you a Neil Gaiman fan?

I have a lot of fun reading his works! I've read American Gods and Good Omens thus far! BTW if you're a super Neil Gaiman fan, then you might be interested in the fact that Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab collaborates with Neil Gaiman to produce perfumes based on his characters/works and the proceeds to go non-profit organizations. You can see all the Neil Gaiman perfumes here: http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/neilgaiman.html

It's notable that there's an Aziraphale perfume: ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord. Though, I'm personally lusting after the Wensleydale perfume: an immaculately clean scent: well-scrubbed soapy skin and fresh cotton.

I have a lot of fun reading his works! I've read American Gods and Good Omens thus far! BTW if you're a super Neil Gaiman fan, then you might be interested in the fact that Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab collaborates with Neil Gaiman to produce perfumes based on his characters/works and the proceeds to go non-profit organizations. You can see all the Neil Gaiman perfumes here: http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/neilgaiman.html

It's notable that there's an Aziraphale perfume: ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord. Though, I'm personally lusting after the Wensleydale perfume: an immaculately clean scent: well-scrubbed soapy skin and fresh cotton.

Hahaha, the Aziraphale perfume description is really quite apt. I couldn't find one for Crowley though, it'd be interesting to see what it is about. Some of the scent lockets are pretty cool, albeit a bit freaky.

If you enjoyed American Gods, perhaps check out Anansi Boys, a loose sequel. I personally think it's not as intense and brilliant as American Gods, but it's still a good read. As for other Gaiman works, I recommend his Sandman series - even if you're not a fan of graphic novels, the series is really quite absorbing. Stardust is another favourite of mine, and one that I reread from time to time. Neverwhere is pretty awesome as well, especially if you've been to London and experienced the underground system - you'll never see the Tube in the same way again. Also worth checking out are his two "children's books", Coraline and The Graveyard Book.

Guest crazyMuka

I love Norwegian Wood, it's really beautiful. So yes, definitely give that a shot (the film adaptation is crap, so just ignore its existence). Sputnik Sweetheart is also very good. I'd also recommend Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, it's one of my favourites and a novel that I feel gets a bit overlooked. South of the Border, West of the Sun is a bit intense but also enjoyable. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is quite heavy, but worth checking out.

I'm so glad you mentioned Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. That book is my absolute personal favorite of Murakami. I feel the need to mention it again because I feel like it's truly overlooked like you'd said. None of my local libraries carry that book! It's just a bit bizarre considering Murakami has become quite a big icon over here. But anyways, it's a great book, more gentler than many of his recent ones. If you have seen the anime Haibane Renmei, that anime is based on this book :). So yes, I highly recommend Hard-boiled Wonderland too!!

I also just finished Night by Elie Wiesel. Thin book, heavy read. Powerful.

Guest Myss Blewm

Finished two books recently. First was "Slice of Cherry" by Dia Reeves. It was a decent book. A bit dark and demented (which I actually liked) but the world that these characters exist in is really interesting. I also like how all the characters are all pretty flawed in their own ways, but some of the relationships did run into a bit of a cliche and one of the characters kind of fell under the "Gary Stu-ish" cliche. The end was a bit lackluster, in my opinion.

I also finished "Why We Broke Up" written by Daniel Handler with artwork by Maira Kalman. BTW, the book weights a lot. :lol: I got the book because I adore Daniel Handler (who is better known as Lemony Snicket). I thought the premise of the story was really interesting (a girl writes a long breakup letter to her boyfriend, giving back items she collected that have something to do with their relationship, such as movie tickets, a coat, a hand drawn map, etc.), but the plot was pretty cliched and the reason why they broke up was rather lame. I was expecting something better and no, I don't think it was worth the wait to figure out WHY they really broke up (but then again, one can argue THAT reason wasn't really the point of WHY they broke up). There are some aspects of this book I really loved, especially since there were things in the book I could really relate to, but there were other aspects that I thought weren't that convincing, cliched and not that new or interesting, or it was a bit far fetched (from what I know, the main character, Mia, doesn't seem to portray a real teenager; and to a level I can kind of agree, but there are some things about her that reminds me a lot of myself as a teenager so...yeah, she can sound a bit older than an actual teenager and some of her ramblings went on a bit too long and it was not as witty and clever or as interesting as the ramblings in the Series of Unfortunate Events books).

Like most of Handler's works, I find there are a lot of layers to go through and despite some major flaws in the book, the really good things are really good and I like analyzing the heck out of it.

Currently trying to get back into "The Hangman's Daughter" by Oliver Pötzsch, but I've been itching to pick up "Cold Mountain". I haven't read that book in a couple years.

Guest b2stbaaby

The Hunger Games. Too many people have told me to read it so I started and I'm loving it! Can't wait to finish it and to watch the movie!

Guest pop_corn

Just finished The Hunger Games trilogy! Got to say it was pretty good in the first two books though the last one was somewhat unsatisfying. But, it's not bad a read ^_^

Currently reading LOTR! Can't believe I have been missing out on such fun for all these while... :sweatingbullets:

Guest Courtknee

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make A Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell. Not really getting into it... maybe I need to read it more.

I am also reading Harpoon: Into The Heart of Whaling for school.

Guest Y00su<3

Reserved a copy of A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller. Wanted to read this the most, but since I dont have time to get it currently, im reading a trilogy in the meantime.

Currently on book #2, Fifty Shades Darker by EL James. I picked up this because its Amazon's (edit; just checked, its NYTimes best selling too) second bestselling novel in the fiction genre. (I trust bestselling lists alot, NYTimes most.)

Guest hunterheart

Murder on Orient Express by Agatha Cristie. I really liked it, just finished it. Read through it in two days :) I recommend to dectective/mystery lovers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hunterheart

Just finished reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. TOTAL HYPE. 1.5 out of 5 stars. The dystopian world is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever came across. Too many plot holes and lack of believability in character and world building. I could rant about this "best seller" for ages... but whatever to each's own.

Before I fall by Lauren Oliver is also a recent one I read. 3.7/5 stars. I liked it overall but it wasn't "wow" or "amazing" and definitely did not make me cry. Some people will say otherwise, but the character development was excellent.

And finally there's The Book Thief I finally got around to reading... I will always miss the boy with the lemon hair. Amazing novel, I was really moved at the end and was glad that the ending was satisfying for me. Wish I spent my money buying a copy instead of on YA dystopian novels that are just plain bad or okay.

^ I was wondering about 1Q84 as well. Wanted to start, but hesitated because of the amount of pages. It's been a while since I've read anything that much.

Currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

It's hilarious, I laughed out loud a couple of times in the train, getting weird looks from people. And that was only the introduction, not even the first chapter yet. I'd quote something, but I'm not sure if it's allowed. You have to trust my word on it, it's so funny.

so I guess you're finding out the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything. =p It was funny, yus. I liked most of his books. Some people have told me they thought it was boring, but I didn't think it really was. There was a tv series, too, and then the US movie a few years ago, which I didn't see.

I read a lot of kid's/teens/etc., books too, if anyone needs recommendations. =p I read whatever looks interesting to me, no matter who it's supposed to be for. I just finished The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen, and The Red Queen by Margaret Drabble.

Guest Gitto

I'm currently reading Dracula by Bram Stocker, and although I don't like reading so much, this book it's pretty interesting for me. Maybe because I like this kind of books.