Song Hye Kyo 송혜교 Hyebaragi ~Upcoming Movie 2025: The Priest 2 (Dark Nuns) Upcoming Dramas 2025: Everything Will Come True (special appearance) & Show Business

Peachypie

Source Credit @https://lifestyle.abs-cbn.com/articles/7241/staff-picks-5-series-that-pulled-us-deeper-into-the-k-drama-hole-this-2018/.....

Staff Picks: 5 Series That Pulled Us Deeper Into The K-Drama Hole This 2018

Dec 30, 2018 05:00 PM
thumbnail.ashx?t=users&w=40&h=40&p=124-madel-asuncion1.jpg

By now, we've all accepted that there's no escaping the K-drama craze. And just like every other Filipino millennial, we at Chalk.ph are no stranger to the irresistible charm of our favorite oppas and unnies who can bring a surge of kilig like no other.

This year, we've spazzed, teared up, and rejoiced over a new batch of K-dramas that we couldn't stop binge-watching whether we're sitting in Manila traffic or staying up all night on a weekday. In case you're planning to do a marathon this holiday break, we've shortlisted the best series of 2018 for your viewing pleasure!

1. 100 Days My Prince

Cast: Do Kyungsoo, Nam Jihyun

Airing Dates: Sept. 10-Oct. 30

Quick Recap: Set in the Joseon era, Crown Prince Lee Yool wakes up in small provincial village after being ambushed by assassins while on his way to a rain ritual. Losing his memory, Lee Yool lives as Wondeuk and marries a girl named Hongshim. Both having secret identities, Wondeuk and Hongshim soon find themselves unraveling mysteries that surround the palace as well as the real history between them.

Why We Love It: "This is the first sageuk (historical drama) I've watched, and it unexpectedly got me hooked. What completely reeled me in is how Wondeuk's character is comically similar to EXO's Kyungsoo's personality in real life! I was skeptic about the cliche amnesia plot, but this drama delivered in terms of how Wondeuk tried to find his identity and unconsciously built a lasting relationship with Hongshim and the rest of the villagers whom he got to live with. #OHO!" - Madel, Senior Content Editor

2. Encounter

Cast: Song Hye Kyo, Park Bo Gum

Airing Dates: Nov. 28-Present

Quick Recap: Free-sprited Jin Hyuk and hotelier Soo Hyun meet by chance in Cuba and spend a day together, knowing that they won't be seeing each other again in Seoul. However, fate brings them together again as Jin Hyuk becomes an employee in Soo Hyun's hotel. With prying eyes and controversies surrounding them, the two can't resist finding comfort in each other's company.

Why We Love It: "Considering that this is Hye Kyo's K-drama comeback after her wedding, I thought I should give it a try, especially with Bo Gum starring as her leading man. Soo Hyun's character has too many walls built around her, but the way Jin Hyuk breaks through them with his effortless warmth and honey-like smile is so endearing! I know that this show is still on-going, but trust me when I say that you'll be missing out if you don't catch up!" - Madel, Senior Content Editor

3. The Miracle We Met

Cast: Kim Myung-min, Kim Hyun-joo, Ra Mi-ran, Kim Hwan-hee, Kim Jongin

Airing Dates: Apr. 2- May 29

Quick Recap: Two compeletely contrasting men with the same name dies on the same day. Through a mishap by the God of Death Ato, one's soul is resurrected but wakes up in the other's body. The Song Hyun Chul who survived has to live as a different person and becomes the head of two families.

Why We Love It: "This is not like other popular dramas with a rom-com theme. I honestly watched this only because EXO's Kai plays Ato who turns out to be the finest grim reaper in all of K-drama history (Sorry, Lee Dong Wook, I'm biased.) But even though the main characters were older and there was no teeny-bopper kilig, I found myself being attached to the heartfelt story of this series. After all the dramatic twists and turns throughout, the ending was a perfect miracle, as the title suggests." - Madel, Senior Content Editor

4. My ID Is Gangnam Beauty

Cast: Cha Eunwoo, Im Soo Hyang, Joo Woori

Airing Dates: Jul. 27 - Sept. 15

Quick Recap: Kang Mi Rae undergoes plastic surgery right before she enters college to start anew. She meets Do Kyung Seok, the school heartthrob, who makes her realize that physical appearances don't matter as much as she thought it does. 

Why We Love It: "Aside from the obviously attractive main oppa, this drama taught us that you can never please everyone, that they will always find something negative to say about you because people have different perceptions of beauty. What’s important is that you are happy with yourself and you know in your heart that you are beautiful that should be enough to love yourself even more." - Miggy, Content Producer

5. What's Wrong With Secretary Kim?

Cast: Park Seo Joon, Park Min Young

Airing Dates: Jun. 6 - Jul. 26

Quick Recap: Probably the most popular drama of the year, this story revolves around Vice Chairman Lee Young Joon and his trusty secretary Kim Mi So. Because of Young Joon's narcisstic qualities, Secretary Kim resigns after working for him for nine years, and it seems that he's never ready to let her go.

Why We Love It: "What I liked about this series is the impeccable chemistry of Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young. This is not your typical "rich business man falls in love with his damsel in distress secretary." The supporting cast is also excellent, keeping the witty workplace banter and their office romance funny and entertaining. I would totally recommend this to anyone looking for a feel-good rom-com series–light on the plot, heavy on kilig!" - Jacque, Associate Brand Manager

Which of these dramas pulled you deeper into the K-hole this year? Did we miss your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!

The meaning of park bo gum name is precious sword,i've heard it somewhere..wonder what the meaning of hye kyo name..

Is stigma of divorcee like that too in korea?I mean in my country a divorcee is not really a 'bad' thing in general..but maybe in korea is different?becz like in encounter,CSH divorcee herself n people see her like a bad person n must be ashame of..I don't know,maybe I'm wrong,but I see it like that..

7 hours ago, caileysmiley said:

Hats off to Kyo's mom and Kyo as well. She's well-mannered, kind, genorous,down to earth person like her mom:wub:

Reveal hidden contents

About PBG's English translation, I don't know. Maybe yes but not sure though! 

-------

Yes. I'm still following encounter. Why are you asking? 

Hats off! Looking at Kyo’s life, she really is blessed. Not all people are born to have that face and keep her title for a very long time. She’s always been a leading actress to almost all her roles. She worked really hard for it. What with all the critics and scandals that surround her, she still manages to come out on top.

Spoiler

Just curious because you dont post on the other thread so much haha

51 minutes ago, redbeanbuns said:

The meaning of park bo gum name is precious sword,i've heard it somewhere..wonder what the meaning of hye kyo name..

Is stigma of divorcee like that too in korea?I mean in my country a divorcee is not really a 'bad' thing in general..but maybe in korea is different?becz like in encounter,CSH divorcee herself n people see her like a bad person n must be ashame of..I don't know,maybe I'm wrong,but I see it like that..

Oh. Nice meaning “precious sword”

According to what I’ve read, Yes. It is still a stigma in Korea. They dont treat divorcees too kindly. Maybe that is the reason we dont see a picture of her mom at all. We only saw one at her wedding and it was just her side profile, still you can see that she’s gorgeous. One thing I noticed though, they have the same perfectly shaped nose.

@dukesa1122 @redbeanbuns her english name is Lorraine Song! How lovely her name is! :wub:

@dukesa1122 

Spoiler

If you backread encounter thread from the beginning I post much about Kyo regarding her drama.Of course my priority is Kyo! When drama ģets started I enjoy reading their thoughts on encounter more than mine!:joy:It doesn't mean I 've stopped following. I still post there as long as encounter thread's door is open! ( I mean moderator don't get locked and closed encounter thread permanently):D

@caileysmiley @redbeanbuns

Spoiler

LBH - not a fan of LBH and frankly, out of all SHK’s dramas, this is the drama when she looked her worst. Still pretty but not as pretty as the others. I can’t feel their chemistry either so I no, I didnt feel any flutters every time they kiss in this drama.

HB - Now this however, my eyes were like saucers watching their kissing scenes. Omg. I cant believe SHK would go that far as to bed scenes :sweat_smile: I loved their chemistry and how they were too comfortable kissing each other. 

KDW - There are times when I find him charming and hot but not in MBL. In Camellia however, if my eyes were like saucers in WW, my eyes went big as our plates! I mean, wtf? Opening his fly and doing it standing?! Omo :ph34r:

JIS - Although I find him cute and sexy, I didnt like the way they were kissing. JIS almost swallowed her lips! I love their love story though.

SJK - omg, their kisses were so hot and sweet. Especially in the last episode, you can see there is something going on behind the scenes. 

Rain - I’m gonna include this even if it’s not in your list because I had so much fun watching this series. I am even still watching this again until now. Good thing its in Netflix. The kiss in the last episode is so innocent, though :sweat_smile:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@redbeanbuns Sure, no problems. You're welcome to answer! :D The more the merrier:D

@dukesa1122 @redbeanbuns

Spoiler

Do guys want to see their gifs? WW, Camelia, MBL and DOTS?:joy:

LBH also swallowed her lips in All In ( classroom scence).

In semi bed scene whe he was kissing her from forehead to lips and about to open her clothes button,  omg wtf!

HB- Yeah, comfortable kissing scene base on bts and all the bts videos I watched on yt. I also find HB a little naughty when they're doing lovey dovey scene HB in sky blue Jacket when they're lying down in wood bed, HB grabbed Kyo's arm...HB was on top and Kyo in bottom when HB grabbed her arm, his legs were open and Kyo felt/touched his private part, gosh wtf! Because HB suddenly grabbed her arm, Kyo was looking to other side! HB's reaction was epic!:D Kyo's reaction didn't see it cause of the camera angle!

JIS- I liked the way he kissed Kyo in TWTWB. The forced kissed...omg! He swallowed Kyo's lips in the other kiss scene. Too bad for JIS, Kyo's lips always locked and didn't open her mouth.

KDW- so lucky to kissed Kyo in drama and movie.  Both open their mouth,  The way he  kissed Kyo...gosh wtf! Too bad for him. #friendzone !

SJK- The winner of Kyo's heart! The luckiest man ever! The raw bts footage I heard the sound of their lips, you can see and feel that it's real! 

Hahaha :w00t: the way u describe it,very epic..

Honestly I never watch All In n I'm not into LBH (sorry for his fans,indeed he has charisma,but its always about preference)so I skip to that one

That winter,I like them there but yeah,the kiss kinda :sweatingbullets: like u said her lips it was locked,which is very dissapointed..

But all of them so lucky to kiss her,indeed..

N I've been their shipper except for HB,LBH in the past..miss my old days..read all of speculation, body language..haha

• Like 1

Spoiler
2 hours ago, caileysmiley said:

when they're doing lovey dovey scene HB in sky blue Jacket when they're lying down in wood bed, HB grabbed Kyo's arm...HB was on top and Kyo in bottom when HB grabbed her arm, his legs were open and Kyo felt/touched his private part, gosh wtf! Because HB suddenly grabbed her arm, Kyo was looking to other side! HB's reaction was epic!:D Kyo's reaction didn't see it cause of the camera angle!

OMG? Really?! I didnt see that bts footage. Do you still have it?? Can you please find it?? Did shk touched his private part intentionally??? :w00t:

2 hours ago, caileysmiley said:

The raw bts footage I heard the sound of their lips, you can see and feel that it's real

I know! I was heating up while watching it in slow mo :sweat_smile: waaaa hahahahaha

@caileysmiley @redbeanbuns @rainy12

3 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:
  Hide contents

OMG? Really?! I didnt see that bts footage. Do you still have it?? Can you please find it?? Did shk touched his private part intentionally??? :w00t:

I know! I was heating up while watching it in slow mo :sweat_smile: waaaa hahahahaha

@caileysmiley @redbeanbuns @rainy12

Of course heeeeeelllllll nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Kyo didn't do that intentionally! It was HB who grabbed her arm and his legs were open. He pulled her arm towards him that led to slightly felt/touched by Kyo. Nauthy HB! I think he did it intentionally!!!! I'll find that video again, just wait:D

2 hours ago, redbeanbuns said:

Wanna see WW gifs:D

Ok. Just wait, chingu! I'll post later:D

-----

Correction, KDW had worked with Kyo twice in movies, never had in a drama! Sorry I mistakenly wrote it! Was in hurry writing! 

5 hours ago, rainy12 said:

I haven't watched WW and Camellia. seems like the kiss are so hot.

my fav no. 1 is encounter, no.2 is full house. I love rain and shk, they are so funny and cute:D

It was indeed hot!

----

Oh I love Full house very much. Kyo and Rain had great chemistry in FH. One of my ultimate k-dramas and characters that Kyo has done in her work! :wub: So cute and bubbly Han Ji-Eun (Kyo):wub:

Full House is sold to me like very very much!!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, caileysmiley said:

Of course heeeeeelllllll nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Kyo didn't do that intentionally! It was HB who grabbed her arm and his legs were open. He pulled her arm towards him that led to slightly felt/touched by Kyo. Nauthy HB! I think he did it intentionally!!!! I'll find that video again, just wait:D

Phew! Thats a relief! Her standards for me are waaaaaaaaay up there! :wub: Please chingu, find it! Make my 2019 happy :sweat_smile:

I dont get tired of watching Full House. I love her acting there. SHK once said that it’s harder for her to make the viewers laugh, it is easier for her to make the viewers sad. :lol:

4 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

Phew! Thats a relief! Her standards for me are waaaaaaaaay up there! :wub: Please chingu, find it! Make my 2019 happy :sweat_smile:

I dont get tired of watching Full House. I love her acting there. SHK once said that it’s harder for her to make the viewers laugh, it is easier for her to make the viewers sad. :lol:

Too bad I can't find it, the video you're requesting to :( I'm really sorry! @dukesa1122

I watched all except camelia 

i love Descendants of the sun, WW and Encounter kiss scenes 

WW kiss scenes are so intimate haha, dont get me wrong plzz

DOTS : Omggg , how many times SJK got to kiss SHK passionately like that, i heard they have to do 100 times? Darn , he is so luckyyyy.

encounter : i love the yearning; the eye contact and the emotions comveyed in the kiss; well done PBG and SHK; considering how much pressure they have to face due to the response from the audiences, they did it very professionally.

love it.

• Like 4