[Movie 2003] A Tale Of Two Sisters/ Janghwa Hongryeon 장화, 홍련

Guest Choi Ji Woo

Guest nikkainah

hello everyone... :)

this is my first time to post in this thread... i watched A Tale of Two Sisters two weeks ago....like some of you, i also was confused with the story :unsure: however...thank you to everyone who gave their ideas and explanatons of certain incidents, thus making it clearer to me... ^_^ am planning a re-watch so i would appreciate the film much better....

i must say that i am impressed with the acting of Im Soo Jung, Moon Guen Young and Uhm Jung Hwa--they were very good... B)

thank you for the latest info xosandy... B) i just hope the remake will do justice to the original film... :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Choi Ji Woo

hello everyone... :)

this is my first time to post in this thread... i watched A Tale of Two Sisters two weeks ago....like some of you, i also was confused with the story :unsure: however...thank you to everyone who gave their ideas and explanatons of certain incidents, thus making it clearer to me... ^_^ am planning a re-watch so i would appreciate the film much better....

i must say that i am impressed with the acting of Im Soo Jung, Moon Guen Young and Uhm Jung Hwa--they were very good... B)

thank you for the latest info xosandy... B) i just hope the remake will do justice to the original film... :)

hello there..welcome to the thread..i agree with you..i hope that Hollywood will stop ruining Asian movies......

Su-mi doesn't want to act like Eun-joo..the real Eun-joo had just arrived before the end of the movie..there's

no stepmother that existed in the early and middle parts movie..Su-mi had just formulated the step mother persona, Eun-joo into her peripheral and subconcious mind..remember the sisters' father who always talked to someone over the phone whenever Su-mi starts to act strangely? it's Eun-joo whom the father was talking to on the phone..he's asking Eun-joo's help in order to heal and pacify Su-mi's terrible psychological illness..the real Eun-joo had just arrived when Su-mi was already brought by his father to the mental asylum..hope i've helped you in some through this own interpretation of mine..Su-mi has schizophrenia..

yes, Su-mi knew that Eun-joo would get killed by the ghosts of her mother and Su-yeon, her dearest sister..

please watch the movie over and over again if you're still confused with some of the secenes..just like i did..

As usual, spoilers ahead:

I've watched the movie at least 4 times and I always find something new! I was thinking after reading that LONG explanation from someone on IMDB that squallie posted, since nearly everything else in the movie was part of Su-Mi's unhinged mind, maybe that last scene of the "stepmother" getting killed by the ghosts was also her imagination? After all, if she is continually trying to find some way to placate her guilt and everything else she tried (again, all in her head) didn't work, why NOT just 'let the ghosts take revenge', kill the objectification of your guilt and have it over with?

I've read that the cut scenes on the second disc of the Korean version of the movie make it clear that the father WAS in fact having an affair with his coworker (I haven't seen it myself to vouch for that). One way or the other (my impression had been that the affair was also created by Su-Mi's psychological illness) I don't think that the actual character of Eun-Joo actually, physically shows up until the scene where they take Su-Mi back to the hospital (or, did she ever really leave?)

Guest Choi Ji Woo

As usual, spoilers ahead:

I've watched the movie at least 4 times and I always find something new! I was thinking after reading that LONG explanation from someone on IMDB that squallie posted, since nearly everything else in the movie was part of Su-Mi's unhinged mind, maybe that last scene of the "stepmother" getting killed by the ghosts was also her imagination? After all, if she is continually trying to find some way to placate her guilt and everything else she tried (again, all in her head) didn't work, why NOT just 'let the ghosts take revenge', kill the objectification of your guilt and have it over with?

I've read that the cut scenes on the second disc of the Korean version of the movie make it clear that the father WAS in fact having an affair with his coworker (I haven't seen it myself to vouch for that). One way or the other (my impression had been that the affair was also created by Su-Mi's psychological illness) I don't think that the actual character of Eun-Joo actually, physically shows up until the scene where they take Su-Mi back to the hospital (or, did she ever really leave?)

your interpretation is also acceptable, thanks for sharing it..everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion..:)

• 1 month later...

I watched the movie today, and i was really confused.

Well, that's understandable, it can be a pretty confusing film. Maybe if you read some of the comments other people have made about it, it will help you to understand it better. I know that always helps me!

Guest smellmemory

okay i have this movie in my hands, but im too scared to watch it

i can barely stomach normal horror flicks

:( :( :( HELP!

ahah! don't be so scared! just, umm… try watching it during the day! or at least remember you can always FF through some parts if you're too scared! Or, hide behind some big pillows and peek over them!

It'll be okay! Just watch it!

:D:ph34r:

Guest Choi Ji Woo

i think you don't need help..i think what you need are bravery & confidence in order to watch this scary film!!

ahah! don't be so scared! just, umm… try watching it during the day! or at least remember you can always FF through some parts if you're too scared! Or, hide behind some big pillows and peek over them!

It'll be okay! Just watch it!

:D:ph34r:

good advice..but i think the best advice is to think that it's only a horror movie writer's imagination..be cool!!!

good advice..but i think the best advice is to think that it's only a horror movie writer's imagination..be cool!!!

hmmm … yes and no, since A Tale of Two Sisters is really a psychological horror film. Okay, if I say anymore I'll spoil it for people who haven't already seen it! JUST WATCH!

:blink:

Guest Choi Ji Woo

hmmm … yes and no, since A Tale of Two Sisters is really a psychological horror film. Okay, if I say anymore I'll spoil it for people who haven't already seen it! JUST WATCH!

:blink:

but let's not get carried away too much when watching horror films..after all, it's not happening in reality noh!

Japanese horror director / scriptwriter Takashi Shimizu wonders why people pay expensive ticket prices or buy horror DVDs just to get scared..I guess I'll have to include myself to those people who love horror films!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yufeifei

Many were at first confused by this movie, my jaw literally dropped as the movie progressed.

A tip is to watch the movie first without reading any interpretation. Then try to form your own opinion. Rewatch it again. If you are still confused, start reading what other's have to say. And watch it again.

LOL! I know it's kinda *crazy* but this movie sure has its own mystery. Good Luck finding your answers~

On another note, Hollywood will be remaking this movie. I hope they don't butcher it the way they did Il Mare. The Lakehouse starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock is a complete disaster!

Guest s3rene

I saw a few clips of the movie from youtube but did not finish it due to the video removal by the uploader. It looks gloomy and depressing from what I have seen so far.

Guest yufeifei

I saw a few clips of the movie from youtube but did not finish it due to the video removal by the uploader. It looks gloomy and depressing from what I have seen so far.

*Callie* - You can watch it again, since it has been reuploaded, not to youtube anyway.

Just click on my signature to visit my blog and locate the new link.

:P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest My Sweet September

The movie is so confusing, but at the end, it just all clicked into place for me!

I am going to have to rewatch some of the begining, because I had my TV set on the wrong function and the movie was sooooo dark....Like...during the ghost in the bedroom scene I couldn't see anthing...I just heard noises! But it was still scary :blush:

I think this movie was pretty brilliant and moves up to be tied with the movie "The Eye" for my favorite horror films (even though it was more drama/psycho thriller than horror)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watch this movie. Man that score (sounded like a waltz) is so nice.

Anyways, I thought it was scary - well it was the suspense that was scary. :sweatingbullets: But the ending made the story seem sad. Overall, for people who haven't seen this movie yet, recommend this movie to watch/purchase.

I wonder if that house has been used in other movies - like Ssunday Seoul?

Spoilerish comment:

One of the message/theme of the movie is the difficulty of wanting to forget something terrible, but being unable to and being reminded of it constantly. I think this movie really drives in that point and applies to all the living people linked to the house.

edit - here's the song i was talking about, called 돌이킬 수 없는 걸음, with the given english title, No Back Path ---> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A27095CI

random tidbit: it's by Lee Byeongwu - he's made some other recognizable scores for other k-movies.

Archived