Kim So Yeon 김소연

larus

Another article translated by @stroppye on Happy Home thread.

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=119&aid=0002145864

“Should I say it’s as if I’ve come down from a mountain? It’s such a relief.”

Having finished a long weekend drama, Kim So Yeon (36) looked light-hearted and relaxed. Asking about her feelings about the end of the show, she answered without any affectations.

The MBC broadcasted drama that she was on, Ga Hwa Man Sa Sung, unlike it’s name was given the appellation of a makjang drama. (Ga Hwa Man Sa Sung means All is Well With a Happy Home. So, the point is that the drama did not reflect that, but instead was full of twists, stretched coincidences, screaming, and tears.)

Adultery, abuse by mother-in-law, absolute sacrifices by the daughter-in-law were elements that appeared frequently in makjang dramas. Even so, the ratings were high. 20% (Nielson nationwide) was reached, validating the choices that were made.

Actors have no choice when the character becomes absurd. Kim So Yeon had a lot of lines, every day she had to do heavily emotion laden scenes. It was because the role that she had of Bong Hye Ryung was in the center of such scenes. In order to conclude every personality and relationship, excellent acting was necessary.

On the final day in Seoul at a cafe in Nonhyongdong, the reporter met Kim So Yeon. Because of the interview, she had to restrain herself the night before from indulging in too much SoMek (Soju and Beer). 

Whether it was because for 51 episodes she had to do emotional acting, Kim So Yeon had lost a lot of weight in her face. “I endured by eating what was necessary. I lost a lot of weight in my face. In the mirror I could see my cheekbones in sharp relief.” She smiled.

Asked her final thoughts (about the drama), she answered “Every time I read the script, the mountain that Hye Ryung had to cross kept becoming higher” but “It’s a relief that everything finished safely.” 

Hye Ryung is a pitiful woman who had to undergo all sorts of terrible things. Her husband had an affair, but that wasn’t enough, her cruel mother-in-law also draws every drop of blood she can. This isn’t all. She lost her beloved only son and she is held to be at fault. She is a tragic heroine.

“She is a woman with many pains and wounds. During the eight months of shooting the drama, it was hard to the point of feeling like walking on thin ice. I was afraid on the Wednesday when the scripts came out. Because I wondered what troubles would arise this time. Because Hye Ryung was a woman who was difficult every day.”

Kim So Yeon’s fans in the fan cafe left messages such as “So Yeon Sister, we don’t think you are happy.” Kim So Yeon said “Now, I want to be happy” and smiled.

Single Kim So Yeon does not have any Hye Ryung in her. She said “I was afraid that the viewers would say that my acting felt wrong” and  confessed that “when shooting scenes where the heart was hurting (so very emotional), it was difficult and troubling.”

Hye Ryung couldn’t stand her adulterous husband or her cruel mother-in-law any longer and ends up divorcing Hyun Ki. Afterwards she dates Ji Gun, dreaming of a happy day with him, but without knowing that he had a role in the death of her son, and Hyun Ki receiving his terminal diagnosis starts longing for her.

In the end, Hye Ryung in order to take care of her ex-husband goes back back into the house that she used to live with him in. There was a lot of criticism about that. On this, Kim So Yeon says “I also heard criticism about that” and “since it’s Hye Ryung, she made that choice.” 

“She couldn’t ignore 13 years of married life. I think Bong Hye Ryung made the right choice. If she didn’t go to Hyun Ki, she would have become a woman who was hurting even more. She was a woman who couldn’t ignore her son’s father, and more than her own happiness, she cared for her son’s father. If I were in my 20’s, I would probably have felt frustrated with Hye Ryung, but now I can understand her.”

She was asked whether Hyun Ki’s death verdict exempted him from his adultery. Kim So Yeon explained “He was not forgiven for his adultery” and “Hyun Ki showed that he had sincerely reflected on his wrong doing, and it was in the spirit of sending him off well that she went back to him.

The writer was deeply into resurrecting Bong Hye Ryung. She confessed that she was sorry to “Rotten husband” Hyun Ki. “She wonders whether the husband had changed because Hye Ryung had gone too deeply into her grief over the loss of her child. Hye Ryung also had some blame. So, when her husband was hurting, he was probably thinking to just wait and see.”

It was difficult and tiring work, but as an actor, it was a satisfying performance. It was the kind of work where there were many moments where she thought to herself “Ah, this is why I act.”  “It was a significantly challenging work that required expression of much emotion. Because it was a weekend drama, there were a lot of viewers watching as well. Because the owners of her apartment recognized her, she was surprised. Previously even when she was working, they would ask “So Yeon-shi, are you resting these days?”

On the viewer forums, there were a lot of comments complimenting Kim So Yeon’s acting. Enough comments to warrant a top acting award. Kim So Yeon responded meaningfully “That is enough to make me happy” and “I feel I was able to become another person through ‘Ga Hwa Man Sa Sung’.” She feels her repertoire has increased and a new acting life has been started.

Debuting in the 1994 SBS school girl drama ‘Dinosaur Teacher,’ Kim So Yeon has been in ‘Yesterday’ (1997), ‘Change’ (1997), ‘All About Eve’ (2000), ‘Iris’ (2009), ‘Prosecutor Princess’ (2010), ‘I Need Romance 3’ (2014), ‘Falling For Innocence’ (2015), has amassed over 30 titles in her filmography.

In ’Ga Hwa Man Sa Sung,’ favorable critiques of Kim So Yeon’s acting has come out frequently. Her long experience acting shows. Told that ’Her tear acting is in a different class’ has been a critique voiced by the viewers, she responded by widening her eyes and saying “Really? Not another actor, but me?”

‘When Kim So Yeon cried, we cried with her’ has also been heard. To that she said, “I was just acting, so I’m grateful that it got that kind of rection” and she remembered “Reading the media reports, ‘recommends’ have increased.” 

Since it was a family drama where she goes through divorce and a marriage, she has thought about marriage. “The marriage in the drama seems like a fantasy” but “But, mothers-in-law are not really that bad, are they?” she asked with a pensive expression.

We continued to talk. “Doing this drama, I thought about how love can change. And, if my husband were to have an affair, I thought about what I would do. But, as yet, I’m not thinking getting married. Marriage is about responsibility to another person, but I’m still lacking. I’m not mature enough? And, right now, I like to work. I don’t know. Though, I am old.” (smiles)

Her ideal man is considerate and kind. Asked if she liked Lee Pil Mo or Lee Sang Woo better, she responded kindly “If I picked one, then the other one might be hurt” and “Since both worked extremely hard, I don’t want to hurt either one.”

Lee Pil Mo, Lee Sang Woo acting was much admired. Kim So Yeon praised her partner actors “Pil Mo Oppa is an acting genius. Due to oppa’s intense acting, it was easy to become immersed (in her character when acting against him). Sang Woo Oppa is a sincere actor. Working with him, I felt that I was very blessed.” 

The most regrettable thing about this work, she did not take care of her ‘body.’  “Sang Woo Oppa worked out early in the morning to keep his body in good condition. I pled my weak body. (She made an excuse to not work out.) In the future, I’m going to pay attention to making my body healthy.”

Asked about her future plans, she said “Above all else, I want to rest.” “Before shooting ’Ga Hwa Man Sa Sung’ when I finished a work, I immediately wanted to work again, but this time is different.  I want to show a different aspect in my next work. I want to do a strong character like Heo Young Mi from ’All About Eve’ as well.” (Heo Young Mi was the character that she played in ‘All About Eve’) I want to play a character from a past era. I envy other actors who are able to do all those different types of characters well.”

Modest Kim So Yeon is a ’Beloved Actress.’ (an actress that the viewers like) She is honest and open. A cheery energy is felt from her. Asked to compare herself to other beloved actresses, she blushed and raised her hand to her cheeks.

“Am I a beloved actress? ho ho. It gives me great strength to hear that. It makes my image better. (Think she means that it makes her feel better about her performance.) It seems as if the viewers are able to understand Bong Hye Ryung. Before shooting, she heard a lot of negative sentiment, but afterwards, good sentiments came in.”

Saying goodbye to Hye Ryung who had been tossed around by wretched events was an extraordinary event. Kim So Yeon said “Ah…really” then stopped for a moment. Then her eyes got wet.

“I remember that after shooting the final scene, on the way home, I cried my eyes out. I respect and support the choices Bong Hye Ryung made. There are no choices that are supported by everyone. Of course, there are going to be disappointments and regrets. But, I want to tell Hye Ryung ‘You made the right choices.’ along with ’You did a good job,’ ‘You did well’. “

Kim So Yeon saw the final episode in Jeju Island with the shooting team. “Since it was the shooting team’s vacation, I was the only actor.  I had said ’Please take me with you’. I wanted to buy them delicious food. A lot of top quality feast and the alcohol that I was not able to have before!”

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 2:56 AM, larus said:

The Japanese remake Ice World sounds very good as well. I remember vaguely about it. It was an article on Dramabeans, right?  I really loved to watch the drama with or without Soyeon in it but how great it will be if she will sign. If they will cast idol actors I won`t watch.

Yes, it was on Dramabeans. Here is the link to the article.

Link to article

I had watched the Japanese version already and I loved it. The casting is important. In addition to a good script, the drama succeeded due to the performance of the lead actor and lead actress. Casting idols would not work.

Takenouchi Yutaka is charismatic as the good man who is drawn to a black widow and falling helplessly for her and struggled between suspecting her and wanting to believe in her. Matsushima Nanako gave a great performance as the fascinating femme fatale who kept everyone guessing if she is indeed a cold blooded murderer or just a helpless victim.

I like to see Lee Sang Woo and Kim So Yeon lead this remake. I think our girl Kim So Yeon can rise up to the challenge to play the black widow. I am impressed by the performance of Lee Sang Woo in Happy Home where I felt the pain of the conflicts and struggles of a man who fell helplessly for a woman he should not have fallen in love with. I think Lee Sang Woo can play this role well but may need to to tone down his charming and sunny vibe to blend with the dark story.

And most important of all, they can give us the bed scene they owe us in Happy Home in this drama....hehe.......:w00t: Yes, there are hot bed scenes in Ice World.

• Like 1

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 2:56 AM, larus said:

I thought about her for Ji Sung`s drama Defendant. It is a male centric but she could play his nemesis if there is another important role there. (Not going to happen but I thought about it :phew:).  My ultimate dream is for Soyeon to play in a drama written by my favorite writer Park Kyung-soo. I am not lucky this year either as they have offered the role for Lee Bo Young. :(

Even the MBC drama Night Light could be interesting. A drama about  "the bare face of ambition" sounds intense, just like how Soyeon wants. 

We can fantasize together about her new drama. :) Or maybe she will chose a movie for her next project. Hope we won`t wait too long for her comeback.

I don' t mind the dramas you mentioned as they seem interesting too. I also like her with Ji Sung. As long as we do not need to wait too long to see her in next project. I only hope her next project would not be a noona romance as it is not my cup of tea. Let's see.

2 hours ago, charray said:

I had watched the Japanese version already and I loved it. The casting is important. In addition to a good script, the drama succeeded due to the performance of the lead actor and lead actress. Casting idols would not work.

I am curious who they cast for this drama. It would be fine if they are not casting very young actors. I want to see this drama with good, established actors for the main roles.

I saw a music video (beautiful OST) with scenes from this drama and I loved it. I found the protagonists very well suited and charismatic enough to drove the story. It is a dark, mysterious story but it has romance too. I would love to see the Japanese drama, the original version and I hope to see a good remake. I worry a little. I really really want Soyeon to play this role. I know that it is a high possibility that she won`t be cast in this but I still hope they are thinking of her. If they would give her this offer she will definitely love to take this role. I want Soyeon to play a "femme fatale" and  a suspicious black widow will be great. It seams that it is exactly what Soyeon wants for a new role. The characters is mysterious, seams dangerous from the outside, she a strong woman yet vulnerable. She can pull this off. 

I have a feeling that Soyeon won`t appear in a new production until next year but I am wishing from all my heart that she will receive good offers. An actor has to have luck also not only talent. I am feeling that the offers are so limited. I am so curious about her next role. I don`t have patience. :D

About Sang woo and Soyeon playing again onscreen I would like very much but isn`t too early to be paired again? I would definitely want to see a bed scene with these two. :wub:

For this Ice World drama I would like Soyeon to be paired with Kim Nam Gil. He does dark stories very well. And he won`t die this time. The heroine will save him from the brink of the dead. :)

I don`t know details on Ji Sung`s drama but I suspect that it has a good antagonist. Of course it will be a male role but I would like if kdramas will create such roles for women too.

Look at us... we like to put our imagination at work. :w00t: Our girl did not finished her work for long and we want her back on screen. Yeah... it will be good if she will be back soon. Hopefully we won`t have to wait too long. 

I don`t believe that she doesn`t have any pictorial this year. I am still waiting for a magazine pictorial in 2016. Just one. (The last one was in January 20016 but she did the photo shooting in December 2015).

• Like 1

Other pictures from the old advertisement. I really don`t know where x.soyeon found them.

I saw this pictures before and a few others but not all the pictures that look like from the same photoshoot.

tumblr_ockm52t0b51sdd1ivo6_500.png

Spoiler

tumblr_ockm52t0b51sdd1ivo5_500.png

tumblr_ockm52t0b51sdd1ivo3_500.png

tumblr_ockm52t0b51sdd1ivo4_500.png

tumblr_ockm52t0b51sdd1ivo2_500.png

tumblr_ocj3tyROn51sdd1ivo4_500.png

tumblr_ockxx4BcnJ1sdd1ivo6_500.png

tumblr_ockxx4BcnJ1sdd1ivo7_500.png

tumblr_ockxx4BcnJ1sdd1ivo2_500.png

tumblr_ockxx4BcnJ1sdd1ivo3_540.png

tumblr_ockxx4BcnJ1sdd1ivo4_500.png

I love this picture. She looks more mature, a sophisticated woman.  Another type of pictorial.

tumblr_ockxx4BcnJ1sdd1ivo5_500.png

tumblr_ockxx4BcnJ1sdd1ivo1_500.png

credit x.soyeon

• Like 1

On 29.08.2016 at 7:00 AM, yuar19ingrid said:

I hope she regains her health back before starts another drama

Of course. She has to rest properly. It was a tour the force for her to film such emotional scenes, to memorize so many lines and the lack of sleep... Until next year she will regain her strength and hope she will have good scripts to chose from for her next project.

The live shooting conditions are so hard. Jeon Do Yeon who recently was in a drama after 10 years said how tired she is after 16 episodes drama. Imagine 51. She said "I wish they'd let us sleep" and wonder how the staff are doing it.

So Yeon and Sang Woo video for All for You Fall winter collection.

• Like 2

Kim So Yeon gives thoughts on getting married

By alim17   12 hours ago   17,114   1,307   2
kim-so-yeon

Actress Kim So Yeon talked about marriage in a recent interview with Newsen. She formerly had experience through 'We Got Married' and dramas like 'When One's Home is Happy.'

"I really liked being on 'We Got Married,'" she started. "I wondered if the flowery path was something like this.  I went once a week, and he fed me yummy food and took me to pretty places... And Kwak Si Yang was a good partner, so I felt touched many times. I have so many good memories."

Regarding her experience through dramas, she said, "In dramas, there were many difficult, crucial moments in marriage, but in 'We Got Married,' I was happy. I tried all kinds of marriage. Because I'm getting up there in age, people ask me often [about marriage], and my mother's concerns grow everyday.  But I'm not sure myself.  In the past, I went around saying I would get married at 37.  That's not too far off, but to tell the truth, I'm still too lacking to take care of somebody and become somebody's wife.  I don't know what's going to happen, but I have no intention to [get married] yet."

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/08/kim-so-yeon-gives-thoughts-on-getting-married

Thank you all for all the Eng-subbed interviews! I'm still lurking in the HH thread. 

Simply love the new AFY photos! Both SY and SW look really good and LSW has become more comfortable with KSY compared to the spring collection. 

A side note -aren't they feeling hot in those thick winter-wear?!? And yet they can be smiling so charmingly...professionals indeed! 

Nonetheless, they will be seeing each other in the different seasons  for AFY! Does AFY have swimwear collection?! They can be in the pool again :w00t::P

• Like 2

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 0:26 AM, larus said:

I don`t believe that she doesn`t have any pictorial this year. I am still waiting for a magazine pictorial in 2016. Just one. (The last one was in January 20016 but she did the photo shooting in December 2015).

@larus  You got your wish. KSY is going to shoot a pictorial for InStyle on 9 Sep. Can't wait to see the pictorial.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, charray said:

@larus  You got your wish. KSY is going to shoot a pictorial for InStyle on 9 Sep. Can't wait to see the pictorial.

Thanks for the news. I checked Namooactors schedules and indeed it was announced that she will have a new photo-shoot for Instyle magazine on 9th September. That means she will appear in October or maybe November. I am so happy. Technically, Soyeon had three magazine pictorials in January 2016 but all were shoot last year. It doesn`t seams right if she will not have anything this year. :w00t:

Thanks Instyle. She had a summer pictorial outdoor for Instyle (July 2015). I am curious about the concept this year. I wish another outdoor pictorial,  autumn feeling this time.   We`ll see.

BTW, I watched Japanese drama Ice World. I liked it but now I wonder how it will be the Korean version. I feel like the format is good for a Japanese drama. Let see who they cast. If I like the cast I might check this remake or adaptation.

On 01.09.2016 at 8:18 PM, hsyhsy said:

Simply love the new AFY photos! Both SY and SW look really good and LSW has become more comfortable with KSY compared to the spring collection. 

A side note -aren't they feeling hot in those thick winter-wear?!? And yet they can be smiling so charmingly...professionals indeed! 

I love the BTS video of the shooting for Fall Winter collection. So Yeon and Sang woo are compatible as the former All for You couple. I love Dr. Champ couple as well. Bong Ji couple has a different feel. Because they know each other for the last 6 months, they become more comfortable now. I still have observed Sang Woo`s shyness even through he is very handsome (model type), he did everything professional but for this reason (shyness) I concentrated more on Bong Ji and less on the clothes. They are so cute together. :D Hope if it was not the same for other audience. It is good that the catalogue is in pictures. :w00t:  Soyeon is so good on photo-shoots, she is in her element like a fish in the water and I think Sang Woo felt more comfortable with her as a partner.

BTW, they are filming for the catalogue off-season. In the winter they are shooting for Spring/ Summer collection and in summer for Fall / Winter collection. If I remember correctly, this year it was the first time I saw an outdoor shooting. So ... it was not easy. Just to change so many clothes it takes effort and they have to look good and happy too. :D But they earn good money from this.

On 01.09.2016 at 8:18 PM, hsyhsy said:

Nonetheless, they will be seeing each other in the different seasons  for AFY! Does AFY have swimwear collection?! They can be in the pool again :w00t::P

I hope they will have at least three years contract. :D It is a pity they don`t have swimwear collection. :w00t: The pool scene was quite memorable in HH, why not continue in AFY? :phew:

• Like 1

Young Kim So Yeon, she looks so beautiful then and now. 

20160902000740_0.jpg

Kim So Yeon, SBS drama "My mom motmalryeo '

20160902000739_0.jpg

Kim So Yeon, MBC drama "Seven spoon '

cr: http://khnews.kheraldm.com/view.php?ud=20160902000496&kr=1&md=20160902134406_BL&kr=1

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AaliyaS said:

Young Kim So Yeon, she looks so beautiful then and now. 

WOW, those are rare photos. I have not seen them before. I think the first drama is SBS You Can`t Stop Mom (according to Wikipedia). Both pictures are from 1996 dramas. She was 16. Beautiful teen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, larus said:

WOW, those are rare photos. I did not see them. I think the first drama is SBS You Can`t Stop Mom (according to Wikipedia). Both pictures are from 1996 dramas. She was 16. Beautiful teen.

she is so natural in a sea of plastic female leads 

• Like 1

Like everyone, I also love the BTS video of Bong Ji couple shooting for AFY Fall Winter collection.

LSW is quite cute - he seems a bit unsure of how to pose and seems a bit self conscious in trying to pose in the way the photographer wants. Maybe he does not do such photoshoot often.

Hehe but our girl, So Yeon is like a pro or like what @larus said...in her elements.....

This is my favourite. They look so comfy together with So Yeon leaning against him and his arms around her. And So Yeon look so stunning in the red coat that I am now tempted to buy one too although I live in a tropical country.....:o....Do they have any online store? 

BJyHSn4ANzG_zpsr0e0whtt.jpg

They also look comfy together below but I think LSW looks a bit shy here.

BJyHQP5g9tt_zpsnuzqcjcu.jpg

LSW is looking at the camera when So Yeon turn to look up at him. Maybe the photographer asked him to turn to look at So Yeon or maybe he felt her gaze on him....But when he turned so that they are gazing into each other's eyes, I imagine electric sparks flying in between them....hehe.....:w00t:

BJyCttEgXN6_zpsazfo1ifd.jpg

Cr: @allforyou_yeonwoo IG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, larus said:

BTW, I watched Japanese drama Ice World. I liked it but now I wonder how it will be the Korean version. I feel like the format is good for a Japanese drama. Let see who they cast. If I like the cast I might check this remake or adaptation.

Oh, it's great that you have watched it too. Now I have someone to discuss with.

I watched with Chinese subs on Tudou. I could not find it anywhere else as it is a very old drama. Where did you manage to find the English subbed version? I want to rewatch with English subs if I can find.

I feel that Nanako gave a performance worthy of the best actress award that she won. I really like the scenes where she was in police custody and being interrogated and when she was finally released......

I also imagine our girl So Yeon in those scenes and I think So Yeon can also show what Toko felt. I was watching Ice World during the time I was watching Happy Home and getting frustrated with the cryfest.......:w00t:.......I think our So Yeon can also give an award winning performance in this role.

I really want So Yeon in the female lead role. I will also watch if the female lead is Ha Ji Won. Otherwise, I think I may not bother with the Korean remake.

I think for Korean remake, they will usually change quite a bit and may not follow the original version so faithfully.

• Like 2

LSW is quite cute - he seems a bit unsure of how to pose and seems a bit self conscious in trying to pose in the way the photographer wants. Maybe he does not do such photoshoot often.

His shyness is so obvious. It is interesting that we are able to see the videos with the shooting for the pictorial/ advertisement. It shows us a little bit of real person behind the beautiful picture. Yeah... he is so cute to see him a little awkward in front of the photographer. It is true that he did not do many photoshoots and he confessed in an interview (from 2013) that he doesn`t really like them. He never monitors his pictures during filming and prefers to see the pictures when the interview is out/ is published. I am surprised that he accepted to be the model for All for You. Maybe he wants to try to go out of the comfort zone. 

Soyeon is a shy person too but not in front of the camera. She and Jung Gyu-Woon made a good model pair for All for You before. He was cute too but we could see how confident he was in those photoshoots. No wonder they have resisted six years as models for the brand. Hope Sang woo and Soyeon to be continue the Ad for a couple of years. It will be interesting to see the evolution of their comfort in the future BTS videos. Of course the pictures are quite good. Both photogenic and compatible looking.

They also look comfy together below but I think LSW looks a bit shy here.

I saw a shy guy in almost all the moments but he is charming this way. 

About your favorite picture... I think that is one of my favorites too especially when he starts to smile wild/ laugh when he has sensed that Soyeon started to laugh. But in the video we can see a shy reaction towards the end of that scene too.

Shy.... shy... shy.... but  cute ...cute... cute...

0  올포유 메이킹

LSW is looking at the camera when So Yeon turn to look up at him. Maybe the photographer asked him to turn to look at So Yeon or maybe he felt her gaze on him....But when he turned so that they are gazing into each other's eyes, I imagine electric sparks flying in between them....hehe.

Probably the blood pressure has raised from too much anxiety.... :DI could not see enough (not a good angle) to see his reaction more. But something else came trough my mind reading your comment. I just remembered the hot photoshoot that Soyeon did for Cosmopolitan last year with Si Yang. How it would have been if Bong Ji would have done a similar concept?  :w00t: I start smiling like a fool  trying to imagine the BTS video for a similar pictorial.  

But why we dissect so much about a BTS video?  We need a new project for Soyeon soon. :w00t: Until then... a new pictorial!!!! YAY!!!

1 hour ago, charray said:

also imagine our girl So Yeon in those scenes and I think So Yeon can also show what Toko felt. I was watching Ice World during the time I

Yes, I also think Soyeon can do the role just fine.  I think there are a few actresses than can be very good in this role. Hope the cast will be a good choice. I worry more about the script/ writer`s ability to write a good adaptation.

I will send you the link with the English subtitles in a personal message. Hope you can watch it.

• Like 1