[Movie 2006] The Romance 로망스 (Jo Jae Hyun & Kim Ji Soo)

rubie

Apparently, the press reaction hasn't been that good.

Korean Box Office Report - March 10/12

This week will see the release of three interesting Korean films: the melodrama 로망스 (The Romance), starring Jo Jae-Hyun and Kim Ji-Soo; the sexy romcom 여교수의 은밀한 매력 (Bewitching Attraction) with Moon So-Ri and Ji Jin-Hee, and finally the comedy 방과후 옥상 (What Happened on the Roof After School) with Bong Tae-Gyu. The melodrama was pretty much trashed today at the press screening, a disappointing outcome given the great cast and the director -- that Moon Seung-Wook of the fabulous 나비 (Nabi: The Butterfly) and the underrated 1998 film 이방인 (Taekwondo). Although the cast should be enough to have a good opening, in light of the negative reviews, it's more likely the film will have a run similar to that of another melodrama with big stars, 사랑을 놓치다 (Lost in Love) with Seol Kyung-Gu and Song Yoon-Ah, which sold around 500,000 tickets at the beginning of the year.

» Posted by X at March 13, 2006 08:13 AM

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005426.html

Which is too bad. I was sorta looking forward to this film (I even dl'd the trailer, the MV, the poster shoot, the tango scene making, et al) because I knew of Jo JaeHyun's acting rep and I loved Kim JiSoo in "This Charming Girl" (wonderful little movie).

But I guess we won't really know until we watch it ourselves.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, the press reaction hasn't been that good.

Which is too bad. I was sorta looking forward to this film (I even dl'd the trailer, the MV, the tango scene making, et al) because I knew of JJH's acting rep and I loved Kim JiSoo in "This Charming Girl" (wonderful movie).

But I guess we won't really know until we watch it ourselves.

Really??? What a pity, thought it would at least be spared of serious bashing... the first time out. And I've actually read that B.O Report at Twitch but somehow my eyes skipped the 'trashing'... must be the anticipation blinding all the negative comments. :ph34r:

But seriously, the storyline is nothing new... I'm sure many would agree. Suffocated/battered/lonely wife runs/tries to kill self, meets a man/cop/saviour and they fell in love. Then the gangster/husband track them down, etcetc. We've seen these countless of times, in movies and dramas .... Asian, Hollywood... all over.

Even when we watch the MV... I think we've sort of seen it all... almost all... except the ending (dare to guess?) and the finer details, of course. But still I am attracted to this movie because of the storyline... intense, mushy... tragic? Does love triumph?

And more attracted to watch because of JJH. I'm not really a fan, never did follow his movies but I know he has some controversial yet an excellent acting resume to his name. And if there's a drama of him on the tv, I'll definitely watch. He may not be the 'hunk' actor but his powerful acting is his biggest attraction... it's like nothing else stands in the way of the character he's portraying and the audience. And in the MV of The Romance, I saw how well he carried his role and the chemistry with KJS... just made me so 'in love' with everything about it. Of course, a music video is presented in such a way... minus all the (unnecessary) dialogues, everything so compact... it's really a promo-tool that we don't mind.

Despite the initial thrashing & obvious cliche`... I think The Romance would still appeal, to the normal audience who sometimes have different expectations altogether.

Thanks melusine-hunnie, for the report. Now we wait for the media review. And yes, we will watch the movie for ourselves to find out (can't just rely on reviews)... to satisfy our craving if nothing else works. :sweatingbullets:

Copied this from koreanfilm.org's film forum, much thanks & credit to TomG. I've extracted the paragraph mentioning Romance, for full report, please click HERE to read.

Any review in English about the movie, do share it here. Thanks!

One question though, which movie does Cheongchun Manhwa refer to?

Box Office Report

March 17-19th

1. BEWITCHING ATTRACTION (Korea)- (New) 261 screens

2. V IS FOR VENDETTA (US/Germany)- (New) 147 screens

3. WHAT HAPPENED ON THE ROOF AFTER SCHOOL (Korea)- (New) 218 screens

4. DAISY (Korea)- ( -3) 295 screens

5. ROMANCE (Korea)- (New) 235 screens

6. FORBIDDEN QUEST (Korea)- ( -4) 195 screens

7. THE KING AND THE CLOWN (Korea)- ( -4) 162 screens

8. WALK THE LINE (USA)- ( -4) 97 screens

9. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (USA)- ( -4) 54 screens

10. OH! MY GOD (Korea)- (-4) 98 screens

Romance www.theromance.co.kr starring Jo Jae-hyeon and Kim Ji-su proved to be unable to attract audiences. The serious melodrama may make up for this a little next week, though. A number of people I spoke with all mentioned that this is the movie they want to see next (though they may not have known that Cheongchun Manhwa is opening next weekend). It only sold approximately 215,000 tickets nationwide.

Source: http://www.koreanfilm.org/dc/dcboard.php?a..._id=14742&page=

One question though, which movie does Cheongchun Manhwa refer to?

hi rubie thx for the report frm koreanfilm.org , melodrama type movies like tis one dun seem to do as well ehh .

anyway , Cheongchun Manhwa is Spring of Life Comic starring Kwon Sang Woo & Kim Ha Neul , wif big star names like this & seeing tht it shd be a funny one , it's probably gonna attract the younger viewers to it while they are @ the movie theater ~

hi rubie thx for the report frm koreanfilm.org , melodrama type movies like tis one dun seem to do as well ehh .

anyway , Cheongchun Manhwa is Spring of Life Comic starring Kwon Sang Woo & Kim Ha Neul , wif big star names like this & seeing tht it shd be a funny one , it's probably gonna attract the younger viewers to it while they are @ the movie theater ~

I see... so, it's Comic Youth (or Youth Comic?). Thanks for the clarification. The timing sure plays an important part once a movie is entering the screening circle. Hopefully, The Romance will get some boost from the media-critics and especially positive word-of-mouth from those who had seen it.

It may or may not be a box-office hit (still too soon to tell) but hopefully it'll get some decent feedback especially on the performances of the actors.

Just found this report at Twitchfilm.net

I'm only posting the paragraph relevant to The Romance here. To read the whole report, please click HERE.

March 21, 2006

Korean Box Office Report - March 17/19

Despite the top leading cast (Jo Jae-Hyun and Kim Ji-Soo), Moon Seung-Wook's 로망스 (The Romance) underperformed just like a similar melodrama with big stars released a while ago, that 사랑을 놓치다 (Lost in Love) which couldn't take advantage of Seol Kyung-Gu and Song Yoon-Ah's star power. Selling 44,000 tickets over the weekend in Seoul, despite the rather decent release (235 screens nationwide), the film was only able to sell around 210,000 tickets. And, looking at its per screen average, it's very unlikely the film will do much more than 300-350,000 tickets.

Same box office list like the posting above.

5. romancebo.jpg

로망스 (Romance)

Official Website

http://www.theromance.co.kr/

2006 KOREA - dir Moon Seung-Wook

[Cast: Jo Jae-Hyun, Kim Ji-Soo, Eom Hyo-Seop, Jang Hyun-Sung, Gi Ju-Bong]

Distributed By CJ Entertainment - Released on March 16

9.7% (New) Share - 936 Per Screen Avg. - 235 Screens (New)

215,000 Tickets Sold Nationwide

Credit: X

Source: http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005502.html

I see... so, it's Comic Youth (or Youth Comic?). Thanks for the clarification. The timing sure plays an important part once a movie is entering the screening circle. Hopefully, The Romance will get some boost from the media-critics and especially positive word-of-mouth from those who had seen it.

It may or may not be a box-office hit (still too soon to tell) but hopefully it'll get some decent feedback especially on the performances of the actors.

yes tht's right Cheongchun Manhwa is Youth Comic , i guess i'm one of the few who love watching melodrama movies rather than funny ones , The Romance does seem to appeal to me more for the moment .

Twitchfilm.net predicted such low tix sales overall for the movie , but I still do look forward to see it for their intense performances ~~ ;)

Box Office Report

March 24-26

1. ALMOST LOVE (Korea)- New- 369 screens

2. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (UK)- New- 150 screens

3. V IS FOR VENDETTA (USA/Germany)- ( -1 )- 129 screens

4. WHAT HAPPENED ON THE ROOF AFTER SCHOOL (Korea)- ( -1 )- 203 screens

5. BEWITCHING ATTRACTION (Korea)- ( -4 )- 228 screens

6. FEARLESS (USA/China) - New- 197 screens

7. ROMANCE (Korea) - ( -2 )- 213 screens

8. SWING GIRLS (JAPAN)- New- 69 screens

9. THE KING AND THE CLOWN (Korea)- ( -2 )- 71 screens

10. FORBIDDEN QUEST (Korea)- ( -4 )- 60 screens

Romance (www.theromance.co.kr) continues to struggle, gaining only about a hundred thousand more in ticket sales than it had last week. It has a two-week total of only about 375,000 and it fell two slots to come in at number 7.

To read full report, please click HERE.

Credit to TomG at www.koreanfilm.org

Twitchfilm.net predicted such low tix sales overall for the movie , but I still do look forward to see it for their intense performances ~~ ;)

Same here, same here... although a lot of the movies shown now & going to be released are leaning mostly towards comedy(romance) and action, just in the mood to watch an intense romance-melodrama more than anything else. :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

ROMANCE / Ro-mang-s

admin_200632013525_main.JPG

Synopsis

Yoon-hee is so harassed by her husband's obsession and frantic love, that even breathing is painful to her. One day, her sudden suicide attempt is foiled when someone takes her in his arms and saves her. Hyung-jun is a rough-looking detective. He asks nothing, but maybe he knows that for some people, just being alive is hard enough.

Yoon-hee goes looking for Hyung-jun, and from the moment she sees him, feels that he already loves her deeply. Because she knows it is totally impossible to be free from her prison of marriage, the peace and happiness she feels at Hyung-jun's side is heartbreaking and frightening. Hyung-jun, used to his life of loneliness and despair, loves Yoon-hee at first sight, but as he can't do anything for her, just lets her go. The only thing he can do is to offer her and himself some comfort.

Credits

Main Cast CHO Jae-hyun (Hyung-jun), KIM Ji-soo (Yoon-hee)

Exec.Producer KIM Joo-sung

Producer LEE Seung-jae

Screenplay MOON Seung-wook

Cinematography KWON Hyuk-jun

Editing HAHM Sung-won

Lighting LEE Jae-hyuk

Music LEE Dong-jun

Recording JUNG Hyun-su

Art HWANG In-jun

Costumes PARK Sang-hun

Make-up WOO Hyun-jung

Sound HWANG Jin-su

MOON Seung-wook

admin_2006320115310_1.gif

1968 (Seoul, Korea)

Born in 1968 in Seoul, MOON graduated from Lodz Film School in Poland. With the short films shot during his study abroad he received several awards from the Seoul Short Film Festival. After his feature film debut 'Taekwondo' (1997), a Korean-Polish co-production, he returned to Korea. His sophomore film 'The Butterfly' (2001) is full of delicate sensitivity and temperate but elegant visuals, and is about 'mutual human understanding', his consistently sought-after subject.

Source: http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/films/feature_...t=4&p_item=2006

• 1 month later...
Guest Alxneeds2gopee

just finished watching the romance. I must say the film is shot pretty nice with a nice soundtrack for each moments, but something failed to draw me in. There were many ackward moments in the film where the characters seemed..i don't know...uncomfortable and emotionless (or one sided emotion throughout the film). While i enjoyed the film i feel that the actor and actress kinda underacted thier parts..oh well i guess it's better than overacting. Still, it's a decent film to watch when you really have nothing to do or watch.

• 2 weeks later...

^

Hi! Thanks for the movie feedback on The Romance. The movie doesn't make much of a ripple at the screening... yeah...

But.. still watchable & enjoyable enough... I'm sure, with performances coming from Jo Jae Hyun and Kim Ji Soo. :)

Getting to know... the actor... before The Romance

Jo Jae-hyun

26_1_star_01.gif26_2_star_02.gif

26_3_star_03.gif26_4_star_04.gif

The premier of "Fresh Wind, Bright Moon."

The movie's two stars, Jo Jae-hyun and Choi Min-soo, had been enough to create significant buzz for this martial arts blockbuster.

Almost every seat was taken at the first screening, and Jo Jae-hyun appeared slightly nervous awaiting the audience's verdict. However like a true veteran, when he went on stage with his co-star Kim Bo-kyung, he only displayed confidence and ease.

Jo Jae-hyun is a name that has been representative of character acting in Korea. "Fresh Wind, Bright Moon" -- marking his return to the big screen in a year and a half, sees him in another charismatic role.

Set against the turbulent times of the 17th century, the story centers on the tragic fate of two men - two men who were friends, but then chose different paths that eventually led them to become mortal enemies.

Playing an expert swordsman, the actor underwent hours of special training and suffered numerous injuries on set. However, Jo said he was thrilled to star in his first martial arts film.

He had an able partner in his co-star -- the action movie star and veteran actor Choi Min-soo. Many observers had forecast trouble between the two because of their very distinctive characters. Fortunately however, the actors quickly put such fears to rest.

Jo is an actor who respects his fellow cast members, and at the same time manages to maintain his individuality.

He debuted with "Portrait of an Early Day" in 1991 and a year later, won the best newcomer award at the Blue Dragon Film Festival for "Cutting Sadness with the Knife Which Sprouts from the Heart."

He has made a name for himself portraying social outcasts that are oftentimes violent and cruel. In particular, the actor worked in several movies with the controversial but acclaimed director Kim Ki-duk, who specialized in low-budget and cultish films.

An actor of impressive range however, Jo proved to be just as adept in comic roles.

HOMEPAGE

http://www.chojaehyun.net

Source: http://www.arirang.co.kr/TV/Show_Biz_Onlin...G_CODE=TVCR0112

• 1 month later...

Such a suprise to see someone starts this thread and even more surprise that there are fans of JJH......l have seen Romance and enjoy every bits of it. Perhaps because l always enjoy JJH's works. The storyline is really jaded one but the chemistry between JJH and KSJ is great and they both of them have acted well.....enjoy the movie and love this pair of star-cross lover.

l happy too, to discover KSJ, what a delightful actress she is..... l went on to see her "This Charming Girl" and isabsolutely enchanted by her.

^Hi jojo! Welcome to The Romance thread! Indeed, we have surprises around us all the time which are especially nice when we're least expecting them. :lol:

Good to hear that you've watched the movie and enjoyed it very much. I'm still hoping to watch it myself *soon*. :blush: JJH is such a good (character) actor but quite the under-rated one, no matter where but his intense talent speaks volume. Seeing the MV for the movie, you can just feel his emotions in it. And Kim Ji Soo is just so beautiful. Hope to see you more at the thread, to all JJH & KJS' fans as well. :)

melusine-hunnie... the nkino captures are awesome! I've always loved and looking forward for the movie magazines' feature on the actors I adore, their concept are always so unique & eye-catching. Thank you! :wub:

Hi Rubie, thank you for the welcome.....makes a lot of difference when you know that someone reads your post....it is a good feeling, thank you :) l hope you get to see the movie soon and l am quite certainly you will enjoy the chemistry of both leads...l think they are both good actors.

JJH is very intense in his acting, you can feel his weariness and his passion in this movie. l am looking forward to see his latest movie Habindo (l hope l get it right, l am awful where spelling is concern :P ) You are right when you say that he is underrated...perhaps it is only underrated in our part of the world where fans are all looking out for tall and handsome K-actors and it does not matter if they have the same expressions thru out the whole drama and movie. How many ppl remember JJH in Piano? Talk about Piano and the only actors that fans remember are JIS and KS and how handsome they are.....Go to Snowman thread and you only find KRW and more KRW.....JJH is underrated in this part of the world because he does not fit in the bill of being tall and handsome, he is certainly not tall and as for being handsome, it is really in the eyes of the beholder....he is handsome in my eyes....hahahaha...funny pair of eyes l have...... and l think his acting in awesome......he has acted in several of Kim Ki Duk's movies and his best piece of work......"Bad Guy". He is simply great there....he only speaks 2 lines at the end of the movie and yet he is able capture the viewers' attention thru out the whole movie....just like the character played by Lee Seung Yun in KKD's 3-Iron (another great favourite of mine). l always feel that if an actor is able to the capture viewer's attention for the whole movie without speaking much then he/she is certainly a good actor for he/she is able to convey his/her feelings to you without having to tell you in words what he/she is feeling...

running out of time now.....will write about Kim Ji Soo another time. l think she is a great actress....natural beauty and most importantly has the ability to act.

Archived