[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

on that note, I'm going to gong myself out with a mini gong (since the big one gonged long since)

G'night everyone (good morning, @galpianist!)

Good morning @gretac‌! It's about 1am here in my area right now so it's considered as morning right?

Just here to drop a short message to tell you guys that I'm still alive as well! Internship has officially started for me. I'm assigned to the operations department so it's a 12hr shift for me everyday for the next three weeks at least so I won't be able to post much during the weekdays.

Welcome back @docster6‌!! Missed you and hope to see you more often, at least during the live chat perhaps?

Congratulations @gretac for attaining superstar status!! May you continue to shine and continue feeding our addiction with your posts!

I read @shamrockmom‌'s fanfic last night thinking that it was just a harmless bedtime story to energise myself before the start of a new week but man I couldn't be more wrong than this. For the past week I was feeling a bit detached from the whole SLA addiction thing because of the amount of time I have for it but all my feels came back after reading shamrockmom's fanfic. I went back to living my post-SLA where I couldn't stop thinking about the plot or characters (similar to how SJ kept thinking about his first night with his goddess when he scrubbed the stairs and changed the sheets) ended I really enjoyed reading it and loved the way you write it (all those little humorous details from SJ's perspective) and how it fits in the drama perfectly! Will there be something more like this in the future? :D

Shoutout to @dualnon as well! Thank you and appreciate your efforts for keeping the blog updated!! I love how you always manage to notice those small details ((That boy)) in the drama and point them out to us!

Btw, I saw a post somewhere about The 2014 TV Report Best Character Awards Top 10 thong where Hye Won ranks 2nd while Lee Seon Jae ranks 6th. (Cheon Song Yi ranks 4th for the record; I'm using her as a benchmark because You Who Came from the Stars was the most popular drama so far for this year and that character went viral... at least in my own kdrama well because I don't really explore other kdramas so there may be some other drama/ character that is more popular). Does anyone knows what's this about? @lisafransisca perhaps?

Lastly, it's going to be six months since the first episode of SLA aired, hopefully I'm able to post something special on that day or I'll leave it to when SLA debuts in Japan!

Okay back to lurking, will miss you guys!

Edit: it turned out to be quite a long message (according to my phone) I really need to learn how to keep things short!

More on Ep. 10 and the concert--did anyone else notice the picture of SJ on the poster advertising his performance at Seohan?.  It looked like (pick one) a mugshot,, a bad drivers license picture, bad passport photo, or the Seohan folks took SJ's photo after too many beers/shots of soju.  Wish I could  ScreenCap it but phone won't let me. Considering  how photogenic YAI is, it's pretty funny.

shamrockmom said:

More on Ep. 10 and the concert--did anyone else notice the picture of SJ on the poster advertising his performance at Seohan?.  It looked like (pick one) a mugshot,, a bad drivers license picture, bad passport photo, or the Seohan folks took SJ's photo after too many beers/shots of soju.  Wish I could  ScreenCap it but phone won't let me. Considering  how photogenic YAI is, it's pretty funny.

The scene in the garage at the end of episode 3 was very powerful for me and stuck with me as a high point. It's one of the few scenes I can tell you off the top of my head which episode it is from, in fact. As I rewatch it, I think a lot of the reason is the body language and complex facial expressions of Yoo Ah In. No wooden faces for him. He stands in the entrance to the garage, but he's not just standing there. He's off balance, ready to move, full of potential energy. He looks dangerous to me, like a commando all psyched up ready to blow up a bridge. But when he walks up to Hye-won he becomes a little diffident, looks down, and opens and shuts his mouth without being able to say anything.

She asks him if he grew, and his expression lightens, he looks uncertain, and he says, “I do think I changed a bit,” with raised eyebrows and half a smile. When she asks if he read the book he raises his head higher and looks more assertive but withdrawn and a little hurt. This expression is hard to read but it is key because it shows the change in him. He's been through a lot and has been in hiding, but now he's screwed up his courage and decided to go fight for a life with her. But the expression is fleeting because he knows he has to be careful or she'll blow him off, so he's holding back. She tries to put him in his place, like he's a child - a student of hers - and questions him, and he goes back to diffidence. But when she asks, “how was it?” and makes him think, his mind goes to a painful spot. He goes through several expressions here; he purses his lips, then wrinkles his chin and moves his jaw sideways and his voice breaks. He is honest and admits he had given up but he was swayed. And using only his eyes he gives her the look of a dead man, because he knows he wants her but can't have her.

She says she can tell he's struggling and he gives an obvious lie that he's incredibly fine, grimacing to keep from breaking down. Then tipping his head up to look down his nose at her, he grasps at his pride to tell her not to send him anything again. Now he finds his feet. When she tells him not to lie to his teacher she can't disconcert him any more. With confidence he answers, “Yes it's a lie, but it doesn't matter.” His head is still tipped up and he cracks his jaw; only his eyes show he's keeping his distance but miserable. She puts her hand on his face for comfort and he is overcome and lets her at first, but then the corner of his mouth twitches, and pained, he says, “don't,” because it's a mixed signal. If she thinks she can pretend there's no attraction by treating him as a child she shouldn't have touched him, because it calls forth a response and he decides to cut the pretense and grabs her in a hug.

His forehead furrows and his eyebrows angle up as he squeezes her and then lets go and looks at her searchingly for a moment. This is a really memorable moment, and an important moment where he, full of kinetic energy, tips over the edge and gives the rest of the drama its velocity. Right here he gives her a chance to object if she wants to, but she evidently gives him an “I want you too” kind of look and he holds her by the neck and kisses her hard, even when she pushes back a minute later. IMO she got more than she bargained for and was surprised by the intensity. She didn't understand what she was stirring up. She gasps once and I don't know how she could with his full lips pressing so hard, but I bet she got a wet face because when they break apart, both gasping for breath, his lips are shiny. And he has a kind of “what was that?” expression.

The whole scene took only about three minutes and he went through 17 different identifiable expressions that I catalogued above; but I watched the whole thing in one go trying to count all the times he changed expression, and it was at least 25. If he doesn't get all the acting awards there are this year, it will be a gross miscarriage of justice. He carries you through so many nuances of meaning, and it all goes by so fast you can miss it if you are not paying attention. I can't imagine doing it on cue, several times, over and over for the camera. With a lot of actors you would be lucky to get one expression a minute and you would have gotten 1) Oh, hi. 2) Yes, it's a lie. 3) Don't touch my face because now I want to kiss you. This drama finished its run in the middle of May and now it's the middle of September, so that's four months. Most dramas I watch, I enjoy while I am watching them but the impression fades away before too long. This is one of the few that has stayed with me. And a big reason is Yoo Ah In's acting.

telzey said:

The scene in the garage at the end of episode 3 was very powerful for me and stuck with me as a high point. It's one of the few scenes I can tell you off the top of my head which episode it is from, in fact. As I rewatch it, I think a lot of the reason is the body language and complex facial expressions of Yoo Ah In. No wooden faces for him. He stands in the entrance to the garage, but he's not just standing there. He's off balance, ready to move, full of potential energy. He looks dangerous to me, like a commando all psyched up ready to blow up a bridge. But when he walks up to Hye-won he becomes a little diffident, looks down, and opens and shuts his mouth without being able to say anything.

She asks him if he grew, and his expression lightens, he looks uncertain, and he says, “I do think I changed a bit,” with raised eyebrows and half a smile. When she asks if he read the book he raises his head higher and looks more assertive but withdrawn and a little hurt. This expression is hard to read but it is key because it shows the change in him. He's been through a lot and has been in hiding, but now he's screwed up his courage and decided to go fight for a life with her. But the expression is fleeting because he knows he has to be careful or she'll blow him off, so he's holding back. She tries to put him in his place, like he's a child - a student of hers - and questions him, and he goes back to diffidence. But when she asks, “how was it?” and makes him think, his mind goes to a painful spot. He goes through several expressions here; he purses his lips, then wrinkles his chin and moves his jaw sideways and his voice breaks. He is honest and admits he had given up but he was swayed. And using only his eyes he gives her the look of a dead man, because he knows he wants her but can't have her.

She says she can tell he's struggling and he gives an obvious lie that he's incredibly fine, grimacing to keep from breaking down. Then tipping his head up to look down his nose at her, he grasps at his pride to tell her not to send him anything again. Now he finds his feet. When she tells him not to lie to his teacher she can't disconcert him any more. With confidence he answers, “Yes it's a lie, but it doesn't matter.” His head is still tipped up and he cracks his jaw; only his eyes show he's keeping his distance but miserable. She puts her hand on his face for comfort and he is overcome and lets her at first, but then the corner of his mouth twitches, and pained, he says, “don't,” because it's a mixed signal. If she thinks she can pretend there's no attraction by treating him as a child she shouldn't have touched him, because it calls forth a response and he decides to cut the pretense and grabs her in a hug.

His forehead furrows and his eyebrows angle up as he squeezes her and then lets go and looks at her searchingly for a moment. This is a really memorable moment, and an important moment where he, full of kinetic energy, tips over the edge and gives the rest of the drama its velocity. Right here he gives her a chance to object if she wants to, but she evidently gives him an “I want you too” kind of look and he holds her by the neck and kisses her hard, even when she pushes back a minute later. IMO she got more than she bargained for and was surprised by the intensity. She didn't understand what she was stirring up. She gasps once and I don't know how she could with his full lips pressing so hard, but I bet she got a wet face because when they break apart, both gasping for breath, his lips are shiny. And he has a kind of “what was that?” expression.

The whole scene took only about three minutes and he went through 17 different identifiable expressions that I catalogued above; but I watched the whole thing in one go trying to count all the times he changed expression, and it was at least 25. If he doesn't get all the acting awards there are this year, it will be a gross miscarriage of justice. He carries you through so many nuances of meaning, and it all goes by so fast you can miss it if you are not paying attention. I can't imagine doing it on cue, several times, over and over for the camera. With a lot of actors you would be lucky to get one expression a minute and you would have gotten 1) Oh, hi. 2) Yes, it's a lie. 3) Don't touch my face because now I want to kiss you. This drama finished its run in the middle of May and now it's the middle of September, so that's four months. Most dramas I watch, I enjoy while I am watching them but the impression fades away before too long. This is one of the few that has stayed with me. And a big reason is Yoo Ah In's acting.

gretac said: telzey said:

This is what happens when it's too hot to sleep.  

My Sin

The sun is setting as I make my way home from work on the freeway. Even though its after 6pm, it's still over 90F and the heat is relentless. My sons have sent me text messages today at work—Mom, I need more Gatorade, I'm out-- and –Mom, I'm out of Chapstick again, can you pick some up tonight?-- Ah, geez, a Mother's struggle. These boys always need something. I head to the 99 cent store, since it's on my way to someplace else (I need to pick up my son's buddy at his work.) I park my car in the trash-strewn lot and take my reusable bags. I find one of the least battered looking purple carts, and start my shopping trip.

I pick up the Gatorade in all the colors my son likes: electric blue, neon yellow, bright red, and I wonder if he likes those colors because he too is Obsessive-Compulsive like Jang Jae-Yeol in It's OK that's Love. That must be it, I think. My next stop is the aisle where the Chapsticks are. I look for the twin pack. My oldest son constantly leaves them in his shirt pockets and they go through the wash, so buying just one chapstick for him is a losing business. As I reach for the twin pack—I see it. Yes, the brown plaid handkerchief, there on the shelf, looking just like the one Hye Won gave to Seon Jae in Episode 10. I've seen it here before, but I've only looked at it longingly. I have thought about buying it to add to my K-drama trinket collection, but I've never had the fortitude. Tonight, I am brave. I actually pick up the package and hold it in my hand. Surprisingly, it doesn't feel weird or strange...it's only 99 cents...and there is a nice white virginal looking handkerchief in the package with it...hmm, it should be okay to get it. I look around the aisle, there is no one around. I feel like I am living a dark and dangerous dream, as I put it in the cart with the Chapsticks and Gatorades and make my way to the cash register.

While I'm in line, I look around furtively. Everyone in line seems preoccupied, no one is paying any attention to me. Good thing no one here watches K-drama's, otherwise somebody would say something to me, especially if they could see the Angel Eyes whistle that is still dangling from my purse. (I dread the day that I go to H-Mart to buy the seaweed snacks I crave and get outed for being a 15 year old fangirl) The cashier is similarly disinterested in my purchases, and my heart begins to race. I'm going to have a brown plaid handkerchief of my own very soon!

On my way out of the store, I open the package and take out the handkerchiefs and put them in my purse; the package goes into the trashcan at the front of the store. It will be easier to hide my sin if there's no package in the trash at home. I put all the shopping bags in the car and get back on the freeway; hopefully the classical music radio station from Seohan West (aka USC) will play something good to take my mind off what I've just done.

I pick up my son's buddy and take him home. Our conversation distracts me from thinking about the sinful thing I have just bought, now buried in my purse.

When I get home, the house is hot and dark. Could my boys not have left a light on for me? Aish! But then, to my great joy, I realize the house is empty—one son is at school, the other is at work. I have peace, at least for a moment. I open my purse and take out the brown plaid handkerchief. As I look at it, I wonder...is this really the same plaid pattern as the one in the show? It's close; I gotta get my new computer with the HD connection hooked up to know for sure. I unfold it slowly, and it's truly a 99 cent store handkerchief, the thread count must be 60, maybe 70 per square inch. It's very rough...not soft at all....Seon Jae wouldn't like it, he would want it to be soft like his t-shirts, but Hye Won probably washed it a bunch of times before she gave it to him, so it would definitely be soft. And it would smell good too, like her hand lotion or perfume. My hand shakes as I hold it close to my face. I breathe in..hmm, doesn't smell like anything...but if I washed it....it would smell like Tide and Downy, and that would be a good start. I will put it in the wash later.

Then I get another weird thought...I should put the handkerchief on top of my piano and see what it looks like there. Oh, no. That would be too much. The brutal heat and humidity tonight makes me weak. I walk over and put the handkerchief on top of the piano. To my great relief, it doesn't look the same as when Seon Jae had it resting on top of that black grand piano during the concert at Seohan. Still, I feel very strange as I look at it. The fans in my house are blowing the hot air around and I wonder if I'm going to go to an equally hot place for what I am about to do next. I reach for my cell phone and take a picture of the handkerchief on the piano, forever documenting my sin. Truly, I have sunk to the bottom with this. My Secret Love Affair addiction has overtaken my brain. I feel guilty and ashamed. Only my friends on the Soompi forums and the few brave souls who read my SLA Fan Fiction on the Piano Conversations blog would understand me now. If they were here with me tonight, they would comfort me with their LOL's, and not call the mental health authorities. Maybe they would even share their goofy SLA stories too, and I wouldn't feel so alone.

I take the handkerchief from the piano, and I decide that after I wash it a few times, I will put it in my purse. I have an extra plastic case for my sunglasses; I can put the handkerchief in there, and no one will ever know. It will be my secret, a little trinket I can carry around with me, and take out and look at in my most private moments. It will remind me of all the crazy things I've done, and more importantly, all the amazing things that have happened in my life since I started watching Secret Love Affair. 

mysin1_zps9d1de7fe.jpg

@shamrockmom‌, that's cute you found a handkerchief like the one in SLA. (And totally sweet you give your son's friends rides home.) The thing I don't understand is why you should feel guilty about buying a thing because it reminds you of a show. What about all the geeks who dress up for ComicCon? It's all part of the fun. I have a Star Trek bathroom. The shower curtain looks like a transporter backdrop and the towels are printed like Star Trek shirts. My husband saw it all somewhere and bought it for me for Christmas. It caused quite a sensation last summer at my son's wedding dinner, when the bride's family passed my phone around to look at the picture.