[drama 2007] Air City 에어시티

ay_link

Guest hanihash

Thanks luv for all the wonderful screencaps and ripgal for that kiss gif. So cute! Finally we get to see them outside the airport and not wearing stuffy suits like felicia had hoped for. HDK is finally "letting her hair down" in a manner of speaking and relaxing for once. All those smiles in the screencaps. I'm sighing with relief myself :D

You know that pix of KHJ and HDG in her green tee-shirt standing side-by-side on the boat I think is really nice. They do look good together. Maybe cos HDG isn't so serious looking so she doesn't look quite as intimidating. All those HDK-KHJ shippers have a fighting chance yet. The more I see the two of them together, the more I am warming towards this coupling. But, heh heh, KJS is still the man!!!!

Thanks ripgal for translating that pre-kiss conversation. That sort of ties up the loose ends about why KJS was hesitating so much at the end of Episode 8. He has lost his confidence about going into another relationship. So, HDK being the more experienced hand at this male-female thingy, being a flirt remember, it makes a lot of sense for her to make the first move for the kiss. You go girl!!! I like!!! B)

But I'm still downloading so haven't seen the episode yet. Thanks again guys for sharing. The way that LJJ is smiling, it's like the sun just broke through the clouds and beaming sunshine all over k-dramaland and mending all the damage caused by last weekend's episodes. I am willing to forgive and forget and am looking forward to Episode 10.

Go AirCity!!!

Guest ripgal

Ep 9 Ratings

#9. Nationwide - 9.5%

#8. Seoul - 10.1%

TNS Media

-----

Bad Couple's ratings slightly higher than AC's..

This Time...I don't care Rating Anymore.....Ha Ha Ha.....

ACEP9.gif

by Mifeng AC Thai Board

See This scene I forgot all about Rating !!!! I can only Scream and Scream hee hee hee

Guest cococrust

I should have ep 9 c-sub link up in an hour or so. Check back then. I am going to watch ep 7-10 on 1 go tomorrow. :D

how could air city's ratings be so low...this drama is so freakin good!!!! :-D

Yes,,,I agree but we have discuss about rating before...HIGH Rating doesn't mean GOOD or BAD...

I also don't care about rating...as long as I enjoy watching it..and Ep.9 is much better...I'll rerun this episode again and again ha.ha.ha

CUTE HS by Mifeng AC Thai board

ACEP9_01.gif

Guest soonjap

Yes,,,I agree but we have discuss about rating before...HIGH Rating doesn't mean GOOD or BAD...

I also don't care about rating...as long as I enjoy watching it..and Ep.9 is much better...I'll rerun this episode again and again ha.ha.ha

Hmm...let me tell you why ratings DO matter - particularly in Korea. While it's true that there are those who are watching it by VOD (Video On Demand) method, this proves both MBC headquarters AND the series staff 3 things:

1. While Koreans are watching this on-line at their leisure, this is an indication that the series isn't compelling folks to rush home to watch it on TV when it airs in its regular time. Keep in mind that when other "smash" series aired, i.e., "Dae Jang Geum", "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" amongst others, people rushed home, canceled appointments, rescheduled appointments all so that they could watch it on their television sets. It's also true that a lot of people watched this on-line as well, but what the Nielson ratings proved was that 28% to 55% of people were watching this in the ORIGINAL TIME IT AIRED at home. Why does this matter? Let's go to #2, shall we?

2. Just like hit television shows in the U.S., a hit series will generate and bring in advertising revenues for the broadcasting companies. This is especially crucial in Korea where the commercials are NOT seen DURING the episode but either BEFORE and AFTER the series airs. MBC raked in millions of dollars during the time "Dae Jang Geum" was airing just from airing commercials before or after the series because they knew that there would be a good chance that people had their television sets on and they would watch the commercials.

3. MBC did its best to promote the heck out of this series well prior to it being aired and it was banking on the popularity and bankability of its two top stars to bring in the viewers. When the series DOESN'T do that, this also lets the broadcasting company know that perhaps the popularity of the stars may not be as bankable as they believed and may hurt the stars' future careers. Now personally, I think this is highly unfair because as in many cases, the "failure" to attract viewers has less to do with actors than with the writing. This is my primary complaint. I have no problem with the acting. It's the storyline that bothers me and this has also been the major complaint with many viewers who have lamented over the potential of the series and yet being hampered by the writing.

Keep in mind that "Air City" is the MOST expensive television series to air to date but with most people watching it on-line, and television ratings averaging from 10% to 12%, advertisers will seek higher rated series so that their commercials can be seen when most people are watching TV at home. Now, it doesn't mean, however that there aren't any commercials seen before and after "Air City". However, because of its low ratings, it means that MBC can't charge as much for air time as it would be able to if the series had higher ratings. In the end, you and I could care less if the ratings were high or low as long as we personally enjoyed it, but the viewers' seemingly indifferent attitudes have ramifications down the line. MBC invested heavily in the series production but will they get their returns down the line? It's hard to tell. If it doesn't, it may jeopardize other future worthwhile productions that may need more investment. While many are enjoying watching this series on line, there are just as equally many people who are critical of the series as well. Keep in mind that the advertisers are courting those in their late-twenties and thirties and early forties who may have the most buying power. These are the very target group who are NOT watching on TV and those who have been most vocal about changes that need to take place.

Personally, I have been one of those who have criticized the wrong direction this series has taken from episode 5 onward. Koreans are sophisticated viewers because they have watched many, many great television dramas and they are extremely selective about storylines. Basically, they know a good series when they see it.

However, with the criticism that the series staff have received, they are rescripting and I hope that things will get back to what it used to be like when the series first started. I would hate for the actors to suffer the consequences for bad writing, although so far, people have been glowing about LJJ and have applauded CJW's attempt to portray a different kind of character than what we're used to seeing. I hope they can pull it through so that the ratings will depict the acting prowess of its stars.

Guest x shinhwa lova x

hello.

i just started watching this serie and i had a question about it.

so in the beginning lee jin wook and lee jung jae, who were like cops or something, were best friends right?

but later on, after the accident of lee jin wook, i guess they meet randomly at the airport.

so my question is, do they recognize each other or not? just a yes/no question.

don't want this drama to be spoiled for others and myself as well :D

thanks!

Guest ilsa06

Hmm...let me tell you why ratings DO matter - particularly in Korea. While it's true that there are those who are watching it by VOD (Video On Demand) method, this proves both MBC headquarters AND the series staff 3 things:

1. While Koreans are watching this on-line at their leisure, this is an indication that the series isn't compelling folks to rush home to watch it on TV when it airs in its regular time. Keep in mind that when other "smash" series aired, i.e., "Dae Jang Geum", "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" amongst others, people rushed home, canceled appointments, rescheduled appointments all so that they could watch it on their television sets. It's also true that a lot of people watched this on-line as well, but what the Nielson ratings proved was that 28% to 55% of people were watching this in the ORIGINAL TIME IT AIRED at home. Why does this matter? Let's go to #2, shall we?

2. Just like hit television shows in the U.S., a hit series will generate and bring in advertising revenues for the broadcasting companies. This is especially crucial in Korea where the commercials are NOT seen DURING the episode but either BEFORE and AFTER the series airs. MBC raked in millions of dollars during the time "Dae Jang Geum" was airing just from airing commercials before or after the series because they knew that there would be a good chance that people had their television sets on and they would watch the commercials.

3. MBC did its best to promote the heck out of this series well prior to it being aired and it was banking on the popularity and bankability of its two top stars to bring in the viewers. When the series DOESN'T do that, this also lets the broadcasting company know that perhaps the popularity of the stars may not be as bankable as they believed and may hurt the stars' future careers. Now personally, I think this is highly unfair because as in many cases, the "failure" to attract viewers has less to do with actors than with the writing. This is my primary complaint. I have no problem with the acting. It's the storyline that bothers me and this has also been the major complaint with many viewers who have lamented over the potential of the series and yet being hampered by the writing.

Keep in mind that "Air City" is the MOST expensive television series to air to date but with most people watching it on-line, and television ratings averaging from 10% to 12%, advertisers will seek higher rated series so that their commercials can be seen when most people are watching TV at home. Now, it doesn't mean, however that there aren't any commercials seen before and after "Air City". However, because of its low ratings, it means that MBC can't charge as much for air time as it would be able to if the series had higher ratings. In the end, you and I could care less if the ratings were high or low as long as we personally enjoyed it, but the viewers' seemingly indifferent attitudes have ramifications down the line. MBC invested heavily in the series production but will they get their returns down the line? It's hard to tell. If it doesn't, it may jeopardize other future worthwhile productions that may need more investment. While many are enjoying watching this series on line, there are just as equally many people who are critical of the series as well. Keep in mind that the advertisers are courting those in their late-twenties and thirties and early forties who may have the most buying power. These are the very target group who are NOT watching on TV and those who have been most vocal about changes that need to take place.

Personally, I have been one of those who have criticized the wrong direction this series has taken from episode 5 onward. Koreans are sophisticated viewers because they have watched many, many great television dramas and they are extremely selective about storylines. Basically, they know a good series when they see it.

However, with the criticism that the series staff have received, they are rescripting and I hope that things will get back to what it used to be like when the series first started. I would hate for the actors to suffer the consequences for bad writing, although so far, people have been glowing about LJJ and have applauded CJW's attempt to portray a different kind of character than what we're used to seeing. I hope they can pull it through so that the ratings will depict the acting prowess of its stars.

will still wait for 'air city' to be shown here as it has been ages since we last choi ji woo an dlee jun jae on a tv drama. but maybe, the ratings is not spectacular due to the fact that the 18-49 demography /age bracket in korea is now more into american tv series. can't really blame them as american tv drama can be so addictive and they offer us a variety of genres, acting etc. etc.. when you see 'prison break', 'grey's anatomy', 'house' '24', '30 rocks', desperate housewives, ugly betty, sex in the city, six feet under , csi, without a trace etc. etc.etc. etc. the writing, direction acting, is almost perfect. i've seen a lot of korean tv dramas since january of this year only jumong was a standout, 'que sera, sera' was quite good but it faltered towards the end. maybe korean tv drama writers are losing steam and creativity.

Thanks soonjap for explaining about rating. I do agree what you said.

AC Nielson rating..yes..it's the biggest company that do about TV Rating. As I'd worked as Media planner before so I know rating is so important factor for advertising. Though in Thailand, it got controversial if the rating from Nielson is believable or not. Coz we found that some rating box is set in the home that under the bridge! Most of the boxes are set in homes of C level class, not in upper level (this information was claimed by free channel here). That's why so far, it got other company try to approach their new rating software, which they claimed it's more reliable than Nielson but it's still not settle down yet. But I'm not involved in this industry anymore so I don't know what's going on then. ^^

I also agree with you that it's unfair if they complain low rating due to power of actor/actress. I think one of the best part is script, if the script isn't good enough, how come the leads can make high rating. Even Tom Cruise/ Julia Robert, they had have failure in some movies. But they still have powerful in the Hollywood and they have many good movies after that.

Well, I admit I feel sorry abit in side about rating coz as LJJ and CJW is big star and the production is big money. But the rating is lower than expected, which we all knoew why...(script plot) and may be it's compared to US series. For me, I don't have chance to see american series much coz I don't have cable TV in my home.

Anyway, I hope it'll do well in other countries..especially in Japan...hopefully. Coz it focus in oversea market.

I hope ep.9 onward will be make good at least stable rating or higher!! AC Fighting

I agree with Soonjap regarding the rating from the producer point of view. In U.S. the advertisement is where they make the most $. I don't know in Korea, but here in U.S. people are running and rushing all the time unless you live in a state with 1 or 2 Mcdonald,then you could be home on time to watch the TV series. Most of us just have it recorded on dvd and watched it when we got home and Of course during the recording time, it is included all advertisements. It is a way of proof that you don't want to miss the episode.

Again, I hope that this drama will not suffer LJJ and CJW in their future because they played their role very well.

I just watch again "The Typhoon" where LJJ played with JDG and he was good. It's still hard for me to comment each episode because I don't understand Korean/chinese and would have to rely only on JAVABEANS summary

Guest hanihash

will still wait for 'air city' to be shown here as it has been ages since we last choi ji woo an dlee jun jae on a tv drama. but maybe, the ratings is not spectacular due to the fact that the 18-49 demography /age bracket in korea is now more into american tv series. can't really blame them as american tv drama can be so addictive and they offer us a variety of genres, acting etc. etc.. when you see 'prison break', 'grey's anatomy', 'house' '24', '30 rocks', desperate housewives, ugly betty, sex in the city, six feet under , csi, without a trace etc. etc.etc. etc. the writing, direction acting, is almost perfect. i've seen a lot of korean tv dramas since january of this year only jumong was a standout, 'que sera, sera' was quite good but it faltered towards the end. maybe korean tv drama writers are losing steam and creativity.

I read about that too ilsa06. It's the same everywhere, the younger age group of viewers are certainly into the American series you listed above. Yet, K-dramas have still made a great impact worldwide. They do have an audience. No doubt about that. In a way, I venture a guess that the producers were trying to hop on the bandwagon and target this age group by coming with what could have been an explosive series. But something went wrong. The viewers are the customers really and the rule of business is that "the customer is king". They are not meeting Korean viewers tastes because rating is done on Korean TV viewers.

I was waiting for someone to explain how Koreans view ratings. Thanks soonjap for that thorough explanation. Having lived in the US for many years as a student, I do understand about ratings there. Rating's for TV viewers is not that big in my own country, although the awareness is growing but it's not a big thing yet. But I wonder how this trend of watching VOD is affecting TV viewership everywhere? It's not just in Korea surely. Advertisers must be tracking this trend too I suppose. It's a big thing only recently I think.

At any rate, I agree with you that the weakness of this drama is in the script and in fact the director as well. How much the PD had to bend backwards to forego his own creative instincts to please the big sponsors, Incheon International Airport, is what I'm wondering. My point is that they made Incheon and staff too perfect. When you compare this with KJS and what happened at the Hong Kong international airport, it was done in poor taste.

By the way, I can't help but compare with the J-drama 'Rondo' because when Takumi's character lost his identity and he had to go to Korea, he had to use a fake passport. However, he just shows up in Seoul and they did not make the airport staff look bad. No questions asked. Furthermore, much as Takumi was trying to get to the root of Shenku's involvement in his father's death, he worked in collaboration with the Korean secret police played by Shin Hyun Jun so it wasn't like he was taking the law into his own hands. It's these simple things that would have avoided the glaring diplomatic errors in AirCity, not to mention those misplaced scenes like the weird drug deal by KJS at the jetty etc, etc...

Although I feel sad about the impact of this on the careers of CJW and LJJ, the drama is good. I agree, the Korean audience is the priority cos they are the primary target. Maybe the producers need to reassess their strategy. By the way, I believe that Rondo's ratings wasn't as high as expected cos the older viewers didn't go for the storyline either and didn't like Jiwoo playing that baddie character while carrying and firing a gun. * I also add that her huge hit series, Stairway to Heaven, beat even Winter Sonata in ratings in Korea and was a hit worldwide yet many got irritated with her numerous crying scenes. For me, it broke my heart to have to see Jiwoo cry, wail and scream so much in that drama because it was so heart-rending to watch. Then the critics say she is only good for such roles when in fact no one does those types of roles as good as she does. So what can I say??

In terms of TV advertising revenue which age group commands the big bucks in Korea? If you look at mega international hits like Winter Sonata, this Hallyu Wave explosive phenomenon didn't command as high a rating as say Dae Jang Geum but it generated revenue in multifold ways that more than made up for the cost of the drama not to mention the feel good factor in international diplomacy. Maybe K-drama producers got to figure out what they are aiming for, local or global??? My thoughts on this Sunday morning.

Cheers!

(* edited).

Archived