Guest EricXL

Wonder Girls (원더걸스) ★ So Hot

sohotpz8.jpg

Purchase this CD

01 So Hot

02 This Time

03 You're Out

04 Tell Me (Rap Ver.)

You'd think after 2007's #1 hit "Tell Me" the Wonder Girls would be sick of dancing to some crazy addictive tune, sparked from the creative mind of JYP, right? ... Wrong.

JYP's five-girl wonder group are back with "So Hot," their latest attempt to take over Korea all over again. As its lyrics suggest, "So Hot" brings attention back to the Wonder Girls after their long-deserved break early 2008. The repetitive synth, infectious claps, and playful lyrics woo audiences both male and female, alerting them exactly of who they are idolizing. I just wish this track were a little longer... Three minutes isn't long enough! Nevertheless, we have a summer hit, folks!

Unfortunately, tracks 2 and 3 lack the momentum "So Hot" brings out for display. "This Time" is a downbeat R&B ballad that remains one-note and rather lackluster for the most part. The group's vocals are nice throughout but the song's seemingly under-done production lulls the listener to sleep, not because of its peace but because of its boring melody.

"You're Out" starts off seemingly well, reminiscient to The Wonder Years' "Headache" and "I Wanna." As you listen more into the song's verses, you expect a catchy chorus but it never comes. The instrumental remains minimal with a basic synth thrown in with a simplistic beat and some special sound effects thrust in randomly. I feel this song would fit in better with the Wonder Girls' first album, rather than with this single.

As to remind you why exactly the Wonder Girls are explosively popular, a CD-quality version of "Tell Me" including Yoobin's rap is included! I may be biased since Yoobin is my favorite member of the group, but I felt that "Tell Me" without the rap was definitely less impacting than with it. Not a new song, of course, but still a great addition! I wonder why JYP didn't bother to add a remix or two?

Overall, this single contains a killer summer track with two not-so great songs, alongside last year's greatest hit. Let's hope the Wonder Girls have something even greater coming with their next album!

RATING: 3.5/5

----------

don't mind if this ends up on the front page.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TaeYang – Hot

sqobc0.jpg

01 HOT - Intro

02 Prayer (Feat. Teddy)

03 Look At Only Me

04 Criminal

05 Baby I’m Sorry

06 Make Love (feat. Kush)

Big Bang’s main vocalist, TaeYang has finally released his solo mini album, which was one of the most anticipated albums of the year. In this album, there is a combination of R&B and hip-hop tracks, showcasing TaeYang’s vocal and rapping skills as a solo artist. In addition, the six track album is packed with YG artist collaborations and composing, making it enjoyable for a wider audience.

TaeYang already made two music videos for this album; one for “Prayer” and the other for the title track, “Look At Only Me.” “Look at Only Me” is a medium tempo R&B track which showcases TaeYang’s smooth vocals. The background instruments are very catchy and go well with TaeYang’s voice.

The album starts off with an “HOT,” an intro, something very typical of YG artists to do. Despite the fact that it is just an intro, many times, I find myself listening to this song more than the others; it is very catchy from the start. TaeYang’s voice is computer altered, but that just makes this upbeat track more appealing. This song was written by fellow Big Bang member, G-Dragon. The next song is “Prayer” which was co-produced by Teddy of 1TYM and KUSH of Stony Skunk. Teddy is also featured in the song as the rapper. Like the Intro, this song likewise computerizes TaeYang’s voice in the bridge. It has a fast-tempo and Teddy’s rap flows with the songs well. Overall, the song is catchy but I felt that it was not anything too unique.

I also enjoyed “Baby I’m Sorry” and “Make Love.” Both songs are of the R&B genre and it showcases TaeYang’s vocal skills. “Baby I’m Sorry” also gives TaeYang a chance to rap, showing fans a new side of him. The lyrics were written by G-Dragon. “Make Love” on the other hand is one of my favorite tracks off the album and Kush is featured as the rapper in the song. This song is once again very smooth and easy to listen to; it ends TaeYang’s mini album well.

Overall, I felt that TaeYang was able to show fans a different side of him from Big Bang. He was able to prove his ability to not only sing, but rap and dance. This album confirms that TaeYang has the skills to go solo. I especially enjoyed the styles and sounds of the songs in this album. It was very T-Pain-like with the computer altered sounds and the beats of the songs were in general very catchy.

5/5

5/5 - Even if you're not a fan of this artist/group this album is a must buy.

4/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you must buy this album.

3/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you might want to add this one to your collection.

2/5 - I don't think a fan would even buy this.

1/5 - You might as well just flush your money down the toilet

^^Finally someone posted a review of Tae Yang's album!

Of course, I agree with most of what you said especially about how he was able to separate himself from Big Bang.

However there is a minor misunderstanding about he album: G-Dragon did not write lyrics for "Make Love." He wrote lyrics for "Baby, I'm Sorry" and co-wrote lyrics for the Intro. Kush composed/wrote lyrics/arranged "Make Love." I don't think G-Dragon did any producing for this album.

Yeah. This is just a minor detail.

Something constructive about the thread: I like the idea because it gives me a preview of music out there, but kind of a pitfall is that most members will only post reviews of artists/albums they like so the rating system to me becomes irrelevant and unhelpful. I noticed most reviews got 5/5. However some were perhaps objective. Just pointing this probably obvious thing out. I really have no solution! ^_^ Thanks for the reviews ya'll!

Actually most of the albums that we are reviewing is provided by our sponsor YesAsia. So, sometimes the choices may or may not be artists we like, but we'll try to stay as neutral as possible.

Of course, we welcome all members to post their reviews as well. :)

^^Finally someone posted a review of Tae Yang's album!

Of course, I agree with most of what you said especially about how he was able to separate himself from Big Bang.

However there is a minor misunderstanding about he album: G-Dragon did not write lyrics for "Make Love." He wrote lyrics for "Baby, I'm Sorry" and co-wrote lyrics for the Intro. Kush composed/wrote lyrics/arranged "Make Love." I don't think G-Dragon did any producing for this album.

Yeah. This is just a minor detail.

Something constructive about the thread: I like the idea because it gives me a preview of music out there, but kind of a pitfall is that most members will only post reviews of artists/albums they like so the rating system to me becomes irrelevant and unhelpful. I noticed most reviews got 5/5. However some were perhaps objective. Just pointing this probably obvious thing out. I really have no solution! ^_^ Thanks for the reviews ya'll!

My bad, Yea I mixed up my translations for the album previews. I wrote G-Dragon wrote Baby I'm Sorry but for some reason I switched it for the review. Thanks for the catch. As for HOT, it was a gift from G-Dragon and that was what I meant. Sorry for not being clear enough. Fixed it. =)

And yea for the rating, I think most albums got scores ranging 3-5. And no, we don't review what we always like =)

• 3 weeks later...

Monday Kiz – Vol. 3 - Inside Story

lp1010839030gf6.jpg

01 Intro

02 Mirage

03 Shouting With the Heart ft. Rhymer

04 Scar

05 Footstep

06 It’s Like This

07 The Day You Left

08 Under the Sun

09 Sad Request

10 Only Have You

11 In Front of You

12 Outro

Monday Kiz has finally returned to the music scene with their third studio album this year. Previously, the duo, Lee Jin Sung and Kim Min Soo had been gaining much recognition through various project albums and soap opera soundtracks. Unfortunately, a month later after the release of their new album, member, Kim Min Soo passed away due to a fatal motorcycle accident, bringing much sadness and mourning onto the music scene. This album, which incorporates various genres ranging from R&B ballads to hip-hop is seen as the last gift from Monday Kiz as a group.

Shouting With the Heart,” which is an upbeat song with hip-hop beats, is the title track of the album. Right from the start, Rhymer, who is featured in the song, starts his rap, which leads to Monday Kiz’s passionate singing. It continues with the chorus which the duo sings with much emotion, “shouting with the heart” like the title suggests. This song definitely showcases what Monday Kiz is known for: their vocals.

The rest of the album consists of a couple of appealing tracks, with the rest being typical K-pop ballads and R&B songs, reminiscent of what SG Wannabe would sing. There were however, three songs in particular that caught my attention. The first one is “Mirage” which is a medium tempo upbeat song. Monday Kiz’s vocals are very soothing in this modern rock track. The electronic and acoustic guitar sounds are prominent. The song, overall made me feel very relaxed, and I personally listened to this song a couple of times before switching to the title track. The second track is “Footstep” which is also an upbeat song. The accordion and violin sounds can be heard throughout the song, and it matches well with melody. This song is very dramatic and Monday Kiz’s high vocals can be heard in this song. The last song I would like to mention is “The Day You Left.” I felt that this song was very generic, yet it caught my ears. It reminded me very much of Kim Min Soo’s passing, making this song extra special. Overall, this song is very smooth and less upbeat than the previously mentioned tracks.

In conclusion, this album had both its good and bad. No one can deny Monday Kiz’s talent in singing. However, I felt that the songs didn’t do them enough justice. There were however, a handful of catchy songs, which fans and non-fans alike would enjoy.

3.5/5

3/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you might want to add this one to your collection.

Kim Jin Pyo – Vol. 5 Galanty Show

107utrm.jpg

01 Start

02 My Fist ft. Beige

03 Difficult Loaded Base Homerun

04 Still, You… ft. Jang In, Gil

05 Thump Thump ft. Park Jung Hyun

06 Jotka

07 Shadow Play ft. Bobby Kim

08 Wandering Romanticist

09 In Accordance to a Pose ft Lee Haneul, Lisa, Leo, Dynamic Duo

10 Boonga Boonga

11 Don’t Look For Me

12 Let’s Carry and Play

13 Moral Hazard Romance

14 Regretful Song

Kim Jin Pyo has come back with his fifth studio album after four years. This time, Jin Pyo took charge in composing, producing, and writing the entire album (with the exception of the lyrics for “Wandering Romanticist”), thus taking him over three years to finish. Included in this album are fourteen tracks of various genres, ranging from gypsy to trance sounds. Although the basic genre of the songs is hip-hop, these extra sounds will entice listeners. In addition, there were many famous artists featured in the album, including Beige, Park Jung Hyun, Bobby Kim Lisa, and Dynamic Duo.

The title track of the album is “Shadow Play” which features Bobby Kim. The song starts off with sounds of the subway and soft beats, followed by a sad melody. Kim Jin Pyo’s rap flows well with Bobby Kim’s voice as they talk about not being able to do anything, not getting attention from anyone, and being alone. The song definitely brings out the depressing mood.

The album starts off with the introduction, “Start” which is a short rap that basically summarizes Kim Jin Pyo’s life from when he was a kid to the days he became a singer. It includes various parts of his life such as his first kiss and his school days. The song is very upbeat and catchy, a good way to start off the album. The album continues on with various songs such as “Still…You” which features Jang In, Gil. I personally liked the beginning, which the smooth beats and fast rap. It seemed very dramatic as the song maintains its momentum with female vocals.

A song I enjoyed was “In Accordance to a Pose” which features Lee Haneul, Lisa, Leo, and Dynamic Duo. The background beats were very catchy, with a bit of an electronica flavor. Lisa’s vocals flowed well with the different rappers, each showing their skills. Another song worth mentioning was “Don’t Look For Me” which is a hip-hop song that begins with sounds of various cameras clicking, soon followed by haunting female vocals which begs for no one to look for her. The song is once again pretty dramatic, and people who like dark sounds may particularly enjoy it. “Moral Hazard Romance” on the other hand has a more techno tone to it and “Regretful Song” which is the last track, ends the album with a lighter happier song. The song is more lively, and relaxing. Kim Jin Pyo’s rap blends well with the female vocals and a cat crooning in the background.

A song that I found very distinctive was “Let’s Carry and Play” which uses traditional Korean sounds along with hip-hop beats. The male and female vocals are very representative of a traditional Korean circus where they beckon the audience as well as pump up the crowd.

Overall, I felt that this was a great album in which Kim Jin Pyo was able to successfully produce his own album. Despite the fact that there were many songs that were similar in style (rap with female vocal), they were all worth listening. I feel that fans of artists such as MC Mong or fans of hip-hop and rap will enjoy the songs Kim put much effort in.

4/5

The Nuts – Vol. 3 Could’ve Been

2cgkbuw.jpg

01 One or Two Times

02 Look at Me

03 Broken Love

04 Dot Dot Dot (pop version)

05 Long Wall

06 Happy Tears

07 I’m Alone

08 We Again

09 I Love You

10 Dot Dot Dot (rock version)

11 Broken Love (Instrumental)

12 Dot Dot Dot (pop version) (Instrumental)

13 Happy Tears (Instrumental)

Purchase This Album

The Nuts, which consists of members Kim Hyun Joon, Park Joon Shik, and Jin Hyun Woo, has returned to the music industry one year since their digital single. This time, their album revolves around the theme of love and the album consists of nine ballad tracks, a rock version of the title track, and three instrumentals.

The title track is “Dot Dot Dot” which was written by singsong writer, Kohmi Hirose who is known as the Winter Queen in Japan. This song is a typical ballad which showcases Park’s sweet vocals. The lyrics are about how a person wants to confess to a loved one the simple phrase, “I Love You” but is unable to, due to shyness. Thus, he is to just watch her from afar. The album includes two versions of the song, a pop and rock version, though the two sound very similar with each other.

The one song I personally enjoyed listening to was “One or Two Times” which is another ballad. The song starts off with soft vocals, leading to the powerful chorus. The guitar sounds are also prominent in the background, making the song more enjoyable.

Overall, I felt that this album lacked a bit. Most of the songs seemed too generic for my taste and excluding the title track and “One or Two Times,” the other songs failed to stick. Fans may enjoy the album, but I don’t think people new to the group may.

3/5

Various Artists - Love 101

10qgmxd.jpg

CD 1

01 . For the Reason of Love – Song Chang Ui

02 . April Has Come - WAX

03 . Confession – Park Hye Kyung

04 . Love Pom - M.C the MAX

05 . The Heart Protects Love PART II - BUZZ

06 . Tears Are Coming Out – Lee Soo Young

07 . One Day – Kim Bum Soo

08 . Say it After Seeing the Tears - V.O.S

09 . Only Love - J-WALK

10 . To a Bride - Yurisangja

11 . I Believe – Shin Seung Hoon

12 . Serene Me – Yoon Jong Shin

13 . One Love – Park Sang Min

14 . I LOVE YOU - Position

15 . Sorrow - Ilac

16 . Rush – Lee Ssang

17 . Only Until Today – Kim Jo Han

CD 2

01 . Beauty – Lee Ki Chan

02 . First Love - Vink & Shim Eun Jin

03 . Now? After All This Time – Kim Dong Ryul

04 . Similar Thought – Shin Hye Sung

05 . I Want to Live – Brown Eyed Girls

06 . Are There Men Like This – Lee So Eun

07 . Piano – Jo Sung Mo

08 . Fireworks – Jang Hyejin

09 . Life Is Beautiful – Lee Ssang

10 . Moon Light Girl – Cherry Filter

11 . Gae Hee’s Song – Lee Sora

12 . On the Streets – Jo Gwan Woo

13 . Violet – Yoon Sara

14 . Innocence - Joanne

15 . To J - J

16 . Lovers - Linae

17 . The Road to You – Kim Jin Woo

CD 3

01 . To Me Again – Rumble Fish

02 . Even if I’m Alone – Epik High ft. Clazziquai

03 . Again - Jewelry

04 . ByeBye Bye – Monday Kiz

05 . Is It a No? – Baek Ji Young

06 . To Eun Young - KCM

07 . Slow Walking Kid – Go Yoo Jin

08 . Separate Life - Lyn

09 . Baby Baby 2007 – Jo Gyu Chan

10 . Do You Remember – Baek Ji Young

11 . No Regretting Love - Position

12 . At that Time, the Girl… – Jo Gyu Man

13 . A Jazz Bar - Turbo

14 . For You – Kim Hyun Sung

15 . The Street Love is Leaving – Shim Eun Jin

16 . Last – Lee Jung Bong

17 . Like Me – Lee Sang Gyu

CD 4

01 . My Sadness – Lee Soo

02 . Don’t Leave – Lee Seung Chul

03 . Love…After – The Name & Choi Jini

04 . Implore – Park Sang Min

05 . One Man – Kim Jong Gook

06 . Crying – Son Ho Younh

07 . I’m a Man - Monday Kiz

08 . The Day After Separation – Lee Hyun Woo

09 . Burying Hurt – Park Hyo Shin

10 . A Shot of Soju – Lim Chang Jung

11 . I Still Love You - Ilac

12 . Crying - Flower

13 . I Need Time (feat. Park Jung Hyun) – Kim Jin Pyo

14 . To My Love- Bank

15 . Truth – So Chang Hwi

16 . Love I Can’t Let Go – Soul Diva

17 . The Love I’m Doing – Oh Suk Joon

CD 5

01 . Love…After – Hyesung and Lyn

02 . Crazy Love Song - Seeya

03 . Loving One More Time – Lee Ki Chan

04 . Forgotten Season – Kim Bum Soo

05 . Separation – Park Hwayobi

06 . Between Love and Friendship - Pinocchio

07 . It Should Get Better - Lee Juck

08 . Sad Song - key's piano

09 . It Is Up to Here? - Flower

10 . Not Ending Story – Kim Jin Pyo(feat.BMK)

11 . Be Happy – Jang Nae & Jung Taewoo

12 . Practicing Breakup – In Soonee

13 .Continuously – Shin Jae Hong

14 . Everyday – Go Yoo Jin

15 . Love Love - Bizou

16 . Evening Glow’s Love Song – Joo Young Hoon

17 . Because I love You – So Min

CD 6

01 . Love Is Feeling – Tei & Hye Roung

02 . Love Is – The Name

03 . Black and White Photo - KCM

04 . Fairytale- Kim Hyun Joong

05 . Forever – Jun Jin

06 . Happy Day – Cherry Filter

07 . Happy Days – Jang Hyejin

08 . Hoping It’s not the End – Yoon Do Hyun

09 . 1000 Years of Love – Park Wan Gyu

10 . The Sadder it is, the More Beautiful - K2

11 . Recollection - Turbo

12 . Last Love – Park Ki Young

13 . Missing You – Lee Hyun Woo

14 . Invitation to You – Jung Kyung Hwa

15 . Rainbow Light – Park Hak Gi

16 . Chun Sang Yun – CAN

Purchase This Album

This year, a compilation of Korea’s 101 hit songs have been packaged into a 6-disk album called, Love 101. Ranging from past hits to newly released songs, the songs included in this volume deal with various love themes, something for everyone to relate to. Artists that are part of this special collection range from senior singers such as Lee Sora, Lee Ki Chan, Kim Bum Soo, and In Soonee to teen idols, Jun Jin, Kim Hyun Joong, and Seeya.

There is no particular title track in this album, as this collection purely consists of hit songs, all hand-picked. When I was given this album to review, I was only given a diskful of the songs, and therefore, only had the chance to sample fourteen of the 101. Out of the songs, the ones that stood out were “To Me Again” by Rumble Fish, “Love…After” by Hyesung & Lyn, “Beauty” by Lee Ki Chan, and “Is It a No?” by Baek Ji Young.

The first song, “To Me Again” by Rumble Fish was released as a single last summer. It is a very relaxing song with the guitar and piano instruments playing as accompaniment. One can quickly start daydreaming about lying on the grassy hills with a loved one when listening to this song. The lyrics are as mentioned, love themed, the vocalist basically telling her past love to simply come back to her without hesitation.

The second song I enjoyed was one of my favorite songs, “Love…After” by Hyesung and Lyn. This was originally released as a single in late 2006 and was part of the music drama, “Fairytale” featuring Eric of Shinhwa. On first listen, the song seems like a typical dramatic song. Yet, the two vocalists were able to harmonize well and make this song work. This song was also the start of the two singers’ duet career, as they released a second single together earlier this year. The lyrics to the song are about a person who has ended his relationship, but can’t forget his love.

The third song I want to mention is “Beauty” by Lee Ki Chan, which was included as the title track in his album last year. It is a ballad song that highlights Lee’s vocal skills especially during the chorus. Lee Ki Chan is very expressive as he sings about not being able to forget his past love and hating himself for being unable to forget.

The last song is “Is It a No?” by Baek Ji Young. This is a ballad song that was for the drama series, “What Happened in Bali.” This song about unrequited love is very heart wrenching and Baek is able to make this plain to listeners with her vocals.

In conclusion, I felt that this collection is very helpful for those who aren’t familiar with many Korean artists. With 101 hit love songs to choose from, listeners are able to get a taste of popular singers, both from the past and the present, and hopefully broaden their tastes. This collection is also money’s worth compared to its cost, and I recommend people to check it out.

4/5

• 4 weeks later...

Suh Young Eun Mini Album: Walk In The Desert

154221.jpg

01 What Am I To Do

02 Love Ends Like This (feat. Hong Kyung Min)

03 Goodbye (feat. Han Kyung Il) (Watch: MV Live Performance)

04 First Love

05 Easy Talk (feat Oak Soo Photo Studio)

Purchase this album

Suh Young Eun is one of the most underrated female singers in Korea. She doesn't often come out to promote her songs, yet they are still popular, especially among more mature fans. Her album sales are also steady. While her more famous works may come from drama OSTs and remake albums, her studio albums are just as good, if not better.

Like many Korean singers these days, she is releasing a mini-album instead of a full album. Unlike her recent albums "Happily Ever After", "Be My Sweet Heart", "Sunny Side Of My Heart" which you can tell from the titles have a happy theme, most of the songs on this mini-album have a sad theme, which ironically fits Suh Young Eun's voice better, in my opinion.

This mini-album has five songs, two of which are duets, including the title song "Goodbye" (track 3). "Goodbye" is a collaboration with male singer Han Kyung Il, who is also underrated. This song has an attractive piano intro. It starts out quite plain, but the melody really picks up in the chorus part. This style of ballads was the trend in the 80s and 90s, yet we don't hear that often nowadays. Both Suh Young Eun and Han Kyung Il were born with an emotional voice, which is a perfect fit for this song. Watch the MV and their live performance @ Yoon Do Hyun Love Letter above.

Another duet (with Hong Kyung Min) is "Love Ends Like This", which has a similar style to "Goodbye". Hong's husky voice is able to provide a different feel to this song. Either duet could have been the title song of the album and they are equally good.

Track 1 "What Am I To Do" is Suh Young Eun's solo ballad. Perhaps it is a good introduction of what fans can expect from this album, as it precedes both duets. The last two songs offer a different theme. "First Love" is a rock ballad which reminds us of "Angel" from her 4th album. The last track "Easy Talk" is a mid-tempo rock ballad which has an oldie style. The chorus part reminds me of Carpenters' songs.

Even though this album only has five songs, each song has its own quality and is worth listening. I have collected all Suh Young Eun's releases since her 3rd album. This mini-album certainly won't disappoint her fans. Perhaps I am biased, but I'd say even if you a not a fan, you should check out this mini-album. In my opinion, Korean music needs more singers like Suh Young Eun, who really knows how to appreciate music.

5/5

• 4 weeks later...

원더걸스 3rd Mini Album : Nobody

wondergirls4fo4.th.jpgthpix.gif

-Track List-

01 Intro

02 Nobody

03 I tried

04 Saying I love you

05 Nobody (Rainstone Remix)

06 Nobody [instrumental]

07 I tried [instrumental]

08 Saying I love you [instrumental]

09 Nobody (Rainstone Remix) [instrumental]

The Wondergirls are back with a brand new 60s and 70s feeling! Already with hits like Tell Me and So Hot under their belt, JYP has produced yet another promising piece of art. This is their 4th Album.

In June, So Hot received mixed reactions at the start, but Nobody garnered positive response from critics and jumped to No. 1 on numerous charts after only one day after the release. There is a ballad version of Nobody, and a more dancy version. This mini album includes a song composed by Ye Eun (Saying I love you) and 4 instrumental pieces.

Their promotional song is Nobody, and is already a huge hit, topping many charts after only one day. It has the same layout as Tell Me, with Sun Mi and So Hee singing the verses, while Ye Eun and Sun Ye sing the chorus. Yet again, it has the sort of story such as 이바보, the person in the song is asking "Why won't you accept me, why are you pushing me away?" All the girls sounds great, and Yu Bin's rap at the end of the song is a highlight too. The MV is absolutely amazing! JYP features in it, and the girls just look spiffy!

The Wondergirls seems to have concentrated on ballads this time round, because other than Nobody, the other two songs are both ballads. Ye Eun composed Saying I love you, which is a great cute ballad. Even the instrumentals are great!

This is yet another success from JYP, and is definitely going to be a great hit. This is definitely worth listening, and I am sure it won't disapoint you Wonderfuls out there, because it sure satisfied me!

Even if you aren't a fan, you'll become one after listening to this!

5/5

Epik High - LoveScream

p1012003980vc3.jpg

01 Butterfly Effect

02 Fallin'

03 Harajuku Days

04 습관

05 쉿

06 1분 1초

07 1825 (paper cranes)

Epik High are always good at surprising me, and I rather like surprises like this mini-album that was released on Sept 30. Mellow and soft, it is an album that is very easy on the ears and very easy to get into and enjoy. The sound at times is almost ambient trip hop with minimal lyrics and instrumentation, and I can seriously say I am in love with this album more than any other I have bought this year.

Track 6 1분 1초 (One Minute, One Second) is the title release, the MV of which was released just after the album and can be seen HERE. It is catchy without being irritating, a melancholy reflection of a failed relationship and how it can still linger in small reminders. Of the other tracks, I especially like Butterfly Effect for its well written rap and Harajuku Days for its mellow atmosphere - a fully instrumental piece that doesn't feel out of place and perhaps one designed to have you invent the story behind it.

Whilst I wish the album were not so mini, it is good to know that quality is chosen over quantity. I just hope it gets all the publicity it deserves and doesn't get swamped by other comebacks and releases that it is having to compete with.

5/5

Guest edusoccerplayer

I dont know if anyone reviewed this one yet...

M Rizing

M's 4th album

l_p1011404292.jpg

01 . I’m Here

02 . 남자를 믿지마-Feat. BigTone

03 . I “M” U-Feat. MightyMouth

04 . 용서해

05 . Hot!-Feat. 손담비

06 . 멋진 인생

07 . 가면 무도회-Feat. Big Tone

08 . 윙크 쇼

09 . Honey 꼬시기-Feat. 유빈(Wonder Girls)

10 . Sad Song

11 . 반한 Girl

12 . 나의 여백(M’s Epilogue)

This is M (Minwoo)'s fourth album in over a year since "Explore M".

Some of the songs have a different beat than what I am acustomed too from M. The album also features guest such as Yoo Bin and Mighty Mouth.

I personally really like the title song of this album, 남자를 믿지마. It kind of sounds like Tae Yang's "Only Look At Me".

There aren't any songs that would blow you away however I feel there aren't any that are really bad. I am not a fan of "I "M" U but I would say that "Honey" feat. Yoo Bin and "Hot" feat. Dam Bi are worth a listen. I dont know how the album would fare with idol groups coming back and I would say that it lacks a wow factor as well. Overall I feel that its a new style from M and I am glad he is trying new things. Overall I was happy but not blown by this album.

If this was a bad review I'm sorry.

Shin Hye Sung Vol. 3 Side 1 - Live and Let Live

p1011662897yo8.jpg

01 . Live And Let Live

02 . Awaken

03 . 그대라서

04 . 사랑하기 좋은 날 (Duet. 이하늬)

05 . Urban Fever (Feat. $howgun)

06 . Waltz

07 . Love Actually (Feat. Vink)

08 . 피터팬의 세레나데

09 . Promise (Duet. ‘유리상자’ 박승화)

10 . 후유증

11 . Awaken inst

12 . 그대라서 inst.

The third album ‘Live and Let Live’ from Shin Hyesung, released at the end of August, not only explores the different styles I hoped it would, but without doubt pushes him forward in musical achievement.

After a moody 2 minutes into the first song, the tempo and feel change immediately with track 2 'Awaken', a brit-rock style number that is catchy, passionate and excitingly different to listen to. Backed by rock band NEXT, it's exciting to hear this first change of style, an excellent choice to promote the album on the Gayo shows. 'Because of you' (그대라서) is calmer and mellower, and the second of the songs currently being promoted. A soft rock ballad, it was written by Vink (lyrics by Yun SaRa) and has a distinctive guitar rif that reminds me of 90s indie bands I was always fond of.

The album features a duet with Honey Lee, the former Miss Korea, an upbeat lounge music style of ballad which is easy on the ear. 'Urban Fever' (feat. $howgun) is a cheerful funky piece with a touch of 70s disco to it. 'Miss Terry' from his second album was more fun and engaging, but the rap ensures it stays original. ‘Love Actually’ is bright and cheerful and the album overall is far more impressive than the rather bland offerings from ‘Beginning, New Days’.

Vink, the composer of 'Island' from his second album, has written and produced again for him this time and also features in the album. Vink, who worked with Shinhwa on their 9th album, is a superb composer who is gaining much deserved recognition. When I heard he was working on Hyesung's 3rd album, I stopped worrying about the quality of what was being produced and began to look forward to the end result - I was not disappointed. Even though Hyesung will produce a part 2 of his album in November that focuses on ballads, I hope he continues with this experimental drive and doesn't allow himself to be irrevocably trapped in the ballad genre when, as this album shows, he is definitely capable of much more.

-------------------

Mrizing – M

p1011404292rp8.jpg

01 . I’m Here

02 . 남자를 믿지마-Feat. BigTone

03 . I “M” U-Feat. MightyMouth

04 . 용서해

05 . Hot!-Feat. 손담비

06 . 멋진 인생

07 . 가면 무도회-Feat. Big Tone

08 . 윙크 쇼

09 . Honey 꼬시기-Feat. 유빈(Wonder Girls)

10 . Sad Song

11 . 반한 Girl

12 . 나의 여백(M’s Epilogue)

Initially, for me and maybe other fans, it is a little bit of a disappointment, especially if you are a fan of the distinctive sound and style that M has made his own over the last 3 albums. The opening track lacks that M energy that the previous albums kicked off with.

남자를 믿지마 - Feat. BigTone (Don’t Trust Men), however, is the first single from the album and, because of its similar beat and rhythm, is being compared very heavily to Taeyang’s ‘Only Look at Me’. It is the current trend and I think that’s where my disappointment stems from – that Minwoo has followed the trend rather than setting it for himself. It is catchy nonetheless and one of the better tracks in the album.

I was having some serious doubts about the album until Track 6 멋진 인생 ( Beautiful Life) came along. Upbeat and fun it had a lot of character to it and was one I enjoyed a lot. Things started to get better after that with track 7 ‘Masquerade’, which is flavoured with ‘Habenera’ from Bizet’s Carmen. It was a very interesting combination of Spanish guitar and Big Tone rap and kept my interest the whole way through. ‘Wink Show’ followed on with a very jazzy feel to it, a very enjoyable change of tone from the rather generic R&B that had gone before.

'Sad Song' was a good opportunity to show off his vocals, a mid-tempo ballad that contrasted nicely with the previous track ‘Honey’, which featured the Wondergirls. M’s 'Epilogue' is a beautifully simple arrangement of just vocal and piano, reminding me of ‘Girlfriend’ even though it wasn’t penned by him.

Overall the songs are good quality, Minwoo’s vocals are excellent and the album is very listenable, but it lacks that ‘M’ factor and feels a little disjointed with the two conflicting styles. Personally, I preferred the more jazzy styles than the initial R&B tracks and it would have made the album more interesting if he had made that style the main theme.

3.5 out of 5 ;)

• 1 month later...

Dynamic Duo – Vol. 4 – Last Days

10dv1h0.jpg

01 Intro ‘Last Dayz’

02 Don’t Block the Road

03 Solo (Feat. Alex)

04 Mother’s Bean Paste Porridge (Feat. Ra.D)

05 Trust Me (Feat. Supreme Team)

06 Beach Girl (Feat. JYP)

07 Make Up Sex

08 Want You Back (feat. 0C.D)

09 Good Love

10 Don’t Say Goodbye (feat. J)

11 Give Me the Light

12 Field Mice

13 Father (feat. Ra.D)

14 Breath (Feat. Sean2slow)

Dynamic Duo has returned after a year with their fourth studio album titled Last Days. For this record, the twosome, Gaeko and Choiza experimented with the electronic sounds of the 80s, in contrast to the 70s feel their previous hits gave. Incorporating house, drum&bass, and modern rock genres with hip-hop, Dynamic Duo has fourteen tracks in store for music lovers.

The title track, Solo, is of the electronica genre and it features Alex of Clazziquai. The rap flows well with Alex’s crooning voice and the soothing house melody. The song basically is about the freedom one feels without being tied down into a relationship. This song is quite catchy especially for all the singles out there.

One song I personally enjoyed was a hip-hop number, Beach Girl, produced and written by the duo themselves and JYP. It may be because of JYP’s partaking in the song, but it was reminiscent of the famous “Tell Me” sung by the Wonder Girls. The repetition of the phrase, “Beach Girl” is what lead me to this conclusion. The fast rap and JYP’s vocals however, made this song worth a listen. Father, in contrast is very relaxing with great vocal accompaniment by Ra.D; the slow rhythms and melody definitely helps set this mood. Another song I wanted to mention was Mother’s Bean Paste Porridge which has fun sounds and lyrics. It starts off with cooking sounds of a meal, and then a story about missing mother’s homemade bean paste soup. Looking beyond the lyrics of missing homemade food, one can see the love relationship between mother and child. This song was very touching and made me think twice of home. Two other numbers I wanted to include were Give Me the Light and Breath.

Although some tracks like Want You Back sounded American-influenced; overall, I found most of the songs from this album enjoyable. There was a mixture of hip-hop and mainstream music, making it an album for many.

4/5

Guest BB-cheese

F.T. island Vol.2 – Colourful Sensibility (Part 2)

ftislandhl4.jpg

01 . 사랑후애

02 . 여자는 몰라

03 . 그대는 사랑입니다

04 . Love is

05 . 멋쟁이 VS 예쁜이 (FT VS PRI)

06 . 외워두기

07 . 미워하고 원망하고

08 . 1분 1초도

09 . 사랑하지마요

10 . 사랑이라 부르는 이름

11 . Troublemaker

12 . Train

F.T. Island returns with their much anticipated second album: Colorful Sensibility (part 1), exerting more power and energy than ever. Their mid-tempo ballad from the debut album “Cheerful Sensibility”, hit the airwaves in 2007. The song became an instant smash, clinching the #1 spot on both online and offline charts, 2 months after their debut earning the group the year's Best New Artist award.

• 1. 사랑후애
    The album's title song is a powerful rock ballad that features the grandiose sound of a 60-person orchestra, as well as Lee Hong Ki's intoxicating vocals. A really emotive song with wonderful accompanying music.
  • 2. 여자는 몰라
    easy-listening number , written by Han saram man's composer Han Seung Hoon has wonderful background music and has a wonderful lyrics and melody.
  • 3. 그대는 사랑입니다
    wonderful track, wonderful melody and I love Hongki’s voice in this and the guitar solo. Probably my favourite track of all.
  • 4. Love is
    A contrast to their more moving songs, has a bouncy beat and sweet lyrics as well, really couldn’t help moving to beat as I listen to this song. Although Hongki has dodgy pronunciation in some of the lyrics “you are so beautefool to me”
  • 5. 멋쟁이 VS 예쁜이 (FT VS PRI)
    To my and probably many fans surprise and joy Lee Jaejin’s (bass player) appeared in one of their tracks. Finally, other members have a chance at solo other than the voices of Oh Wonbin and Lee Hongki.
  • 6. 외워두기
    A slower song...gets kind of boring in between but it's so-so
  • 7. 미워하고 원망하고
    Another slower song, in the second verse sounded like the singer was running out of breath (have no idea who it is but definitely not Hongki), slowly builds up to quite a nice chorus, but is not and probably will not be my favourite.
  • 8. 1분 1초도
    YAY an appearance of the harmonica again. huhu~
  • 9. 사랑하지마요
    slow and soothing music in the verse which builds up to a louder and forceful melody, a great beat and Lee Hongki can show off his voice again during the chorus.
  • 10. 사랑이라 부르는 이름
    A happier background music which again shows off Hongki's wonderful voice. How many times have I used this word already? The rapping finally sounds great with and actually part of the song because all the other times it sounds like they just stuffed it into their songs.
  • 11. Trouble Maker
    A happy and bouncy beat. Must also criticise Lee Hongki's English, but then again I shouldn't be so harsh since he is korean...at least it makes you laugh. Once again lovely guitar solo, actually it's probably the most pro and best one in this album.
  • 12. Train
    A nice track to the end the album; on a happy note! (lol @ my lame joke XP). This song really reminds me of some rock song in the 70's or was it 80's? Too long ago, but it's good that they're bringing this style back. I believe that other members get a chance to solo in this one as well, but then again i can't recognise any other member's voice cause it's the first time I've heard them sing.

Extras that appear in this album are the numerous photos of all the members. I’ve looked at most of them around five times already the day after I purchased the album. It has a brilliant display/packaging and I felt highly satisfied with the album.

However, I must criticise one point. If you’re not a fan of Hongki’s voice then you would most probably throw a fit after buying this album. But these songs really grow on you similar to their first album.

NOTE: This is only part 1 of their album, part 2 has already been released. But have not listened to the whole track yet.

Rating: 4/5

(ALSO recommend this album who even has the slightest interest in this group - it really shows the skills that they have)

If you don't feel like buying the whole album. I really recommend tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11

Guest BB-cheese

Super Junior - Happy 1st Mini Album - Cooking? Cooking!

Coversujuhappytz8.png

01 . 요리왕 (COOKING? COOKING!)

02 . 파자마 파티 (PAJAMA PARTY)

03 . 둘이 (YOU&I)

04 . 꿀단지 (SUNNY)

05 . 잘해봐 (GOOD LUCK!!)

First mini-album of the very cute and refreshing sub-group of Super Junior: “Super Junior –Happy”, Super Junior’s fourth subgroup and counting…possibly. Members in this new sub-group are: Leeteuk, Kangin, Yesung, Shindong, Sungmin, Eunhyuk. Their first mini-album came out in summer of this year on June 7, 2008 with the performance of their first promotional dance single, "Cooking? Cooking!", at the 2008 Dream Concert.

Album contains five tracks, all of which display exhilarating music with cheerful dances, bringing happiness to listeners.

Music style is: “bubblegum pop”

• 1. 요리왕 Cooking? Cooking!
    The title song of this album is the "Best Summer Song of the Year" by SM Entertainment. The lyrics are about a fun episode that took place while eating the food a girlfriend cooked. Really jumpy beat with an amusing MV as well. Great karaoke song to sing to with all your friends and just to have a laugh (believe me, I’ve tried).
  • 2. 파자마 파티 Pajama Party
    A cute song with a cute dance to go with it as well (youtube the MV). Shoutout to Eunhyuk for his rap, it really sounds great with this song. This song is really a party song, so if you like dance/happy beats that can easily make you want to move around just by listening to it then this is for you.
  • 3. 둘이 (YOU&I)
    Influenced by modern jazz/swing music but also has that bubbly style that appears throughout the entire album apart from the track 5 (look below). Again the rap is great in my opinion and the lyrics are sweet as well. It’s a song that can really make you feel happy and another great karaoke song to sing along to.
  • 4. 꿀단지 (SUNNY)
    In my opinion the most annoying song in the album (maybe cause it reminds of someone - *jealous* >3<). Anyway, I would have to say that it is my least favourite song out the whole album. Style has a retro and disco dance influence.
  • 5. 잘해봐 (GOOD LUCK!!)
    A nice last track, a little different to all the ones above in style, it is a medium-tempo ballad with vocal harmonization a bit of acappella. A good song to listen to with an addictive melody line and a nice rap in between.

If you love Super Junior or even music that makes you dance and is light and summery to accompany you through those cold winter days, then I recommend this album. The Album also comes wit a 28-page long booklet and even though it is a mini-album I really recommend this album.

If don’t want to buy the whole album then I just recommend you download the following tracks if you even have the slightest interest.

TRACKS: 1, 5

Rating: 4/5

Zi-A Vol. 1 - Road Movie

159129.jpg

01 I’m Happy (3rd single)

02 What About Me?

03 I Love You, I’m Sorry (1st single)

04 Distant Place

05 I Only See You (feat. Big Bang –TOP)

06 Because I Only Know Love

07 Sorry, Mom (4th single)

08 Will You Smile For Me

09 Feel a Rush (2nd single)

10 From Shin-Chon to Hong-Dae

11 Star

12 Absent-Mindedly

13 Barely

14 Confession

15 Old Clothes

16 I Love You, I’m Sorry (Piano Ver.)

Purchase this album

Using a faceless concept, Zi-A debuted last year with a highly successful mini-album "Voice of Heaven", and at the end of last year, she had another hit "Violin" from a compilation album. Now finally revealing her face, Zi-A released her 1st full studio album "Road Movie" this summer. She also performed actively on music shows and played the piano as well to show that she is multi-talented.

However, for some reason Zi-A did not generate as much of a buzz this time around. The title song "I Love You, I Am Sorry" again features a mega-production movie-like MV starring Shin Hyun Joon and Miss Korea Honey Lee. Like her previous MVs, more than one song is involved in the MV storyline. "I Only See You" is the other song with the same MV. Even though "I Only See You" was not officially released as a single, it featured Big Bang member T.O.P's rapping, and a lot of fans may choose to listen to this song instead.

Top songwriter Cho Young Soo, who has written all Zi-A's hit songs last year, is again active in this album. He wrote the first 3 tracks of the album, including track 1 and 3, which have been released as singles. Other notable writers included Min Myung Ki (who wrote many hits for Gavy NJ), and singer KCM, who wrote "Barely" for Zi-A.

As many as 4 singles were released on this album, and Zi-A had performed on stage for all 4 songs, a rarity in Korean music. Of these 4 songs, I like "I Am Happy" (track 1) the most. I am particularly fond of piano-arranged ballads, and this song is a perfect fit. Zi-A also played the piano herself while singing this song on stage. But my favorite track in this album is "Because I Only Know Love" (track 6). The chorus part of this song is especially beautiful with Zi-A's emotional vocal.

Unfortunately I think this is the kind of album that you really like at first, but the more you listen, the more you don't like. This is bcause all songs are just too similar in style. All the ballads recorded in this album are of good quality, and Zi-A did a superb job singing them. Things can't go wrong no matter which song is selected to be promoted. But then, nothing really stands out. At the end, I was kind of disappointed as I'd expected more from Zi-A now that she's no longer faceless. I hope she will expand her musical horizons in future.

3/5

Guest BB-cheese

Big Bang 3rd Mini-Album – Stand Up

BigBang-StandUpMiniAlbum.jpg

1. Stand Up [intro]

2. 하루하루 (Day by Day)

3. 천국 (Heaven)

4. 착한 사람

5. Lady

6. Oh my friend (feat. Oh Brian)

In 2007, Big Bang released 2 popular mini albums “Always” and “Hot Issue” with their favourite singles “Lies” and “Last Farewell”. After releasing 2 albums in Japan, they return to Korea with their much anticipated 3rd Mini Album.

• 1. Stand Up
    A great and catchy intro with great rapping, don’t you just wish that their intros would be longer?
  • 2. 하루하루 (Day by Day)
    The title song of the album and in my opinion the best. Has really good and touching lyrics (written by G-dragon) with a great beat, chorus and rapping. Even the MV is fantastic recommend you all check it out on youtube. A really addictive and easy to sing along to.
  • 3. 천국 (Heaven)
    A really powerful dance beat and nice melody and chorus. Sounds great overall and once again the rapping is really good as well as the singing. Again a really catchy song and a good song to listen to listen to, nicely written with good lyrics as well.
  • 4. 착한 사람
    Guitar accompaniment with a soothing dance beat and a flowing melody, warnings: might make you fall asleep and start to daydream. And why do I hear a woman’s voice as well? Anyway her voice adds quite a nice pang to the song. The rap is not as forceful in this song which is quite a nice change.
  • 5. Lady
    A fantastic jumpy dance beat in this song. For some reason the more you listen the more you begin to like this song.
  • 6. Oh my friend
    This song is quite catchy after a while has a rock pop feel quite different in my opinion to any other song that Big Bang has produced, a new type of song for them. But all in all a catchy song and a great song to end the album on.

Comes with an origami 3D version of Taeyang which is an interesting bonus (I was hoping for G-dragon, but I can live with that). And there is a book full of their photos and their albums, can’t see their face half the time, but I really really love the packaging. I love Korean albums, they have such creative packaging! Another good thing about the packaging is that no matter who you lend it too, it would never get damaged/broken. Not even after being knocked about in bags, chewed up by dogs or whatever…even put through the wash? << okay maybe it’s not as bullet-proof as it sounds but i really love it.

However, I really wish that they would stop making minis because after 6 tracks I thought: “Is that it?” I know it takes a lot of effort to produce an album but *sigh*~

Rating: 5/5

(even though you only get 6 songs, it’s really worth it and they just SHINE in the album)

^ OH YEAH

can someone plz teach me how to resize those huge photos???!!! as you can see i really need help ehehe~

much appreciated^^

...this thread is actually moving quite slowly ahaha...>.>

Guest Hitorijime

F.T. Island (에프티 아일랜드) Vol. 2 - Colorful Sensibility

p1011772307no5.jpg

1. 사랑후애 (譃爱) (Lying Love)

2. 여자는 몰라 (Girls Don’t Know)

3. 그대는 사랑입니다 (You Are Love)

4. Love Is

5. 멋쟁이 vs 예쁜이 (FT vs PRI) (The Cool vs The Pretty)

6. 외워두기 (Memorize)

7. 미워하고 원망하고 (Hate And Resentment)

8. 1분 1초도 (Even For One Minute And One Second)

9. 사랑하지마요 (Please Don’t Love Me)

10. 사랑이라 부르는 이름 (A Name Called Love)

11. Troublemaker

12. Train

Sprouting in the 2007, the year of girlgroups and boybands, F.T. Island came in a conquered in ways other than dancing and singing. Unlike many of the other groups, they took it the old fashioned way and stuck with instruments. With that, their debut album, Cheerful Sensibility, sold over 82,000 copies and landed in the top 10 best selling albums in Korea for 2007. Now releasing their sophomore album, Colorful Sensibility, the group returns with a more mature image. Whether or not they can meet the same success they had with their first album will be quite interesting to see.

The title track Lying Love, is a powerful rock ballad that just screams sad. The song is very similar to their hit last year, Love Sick, as they both start off subtle and explode with emotion by the chorus'. Musically, the song is quite interesting. The usage of contemporary instruments such as the electric guitar and drums over a layer of strings as the foundation really gives it an extra edge. Still, there are parts where the arrangement is quite messy and it just seems like the vocalist is floating on a layer of jumble. Vocally, the song is quite strong. The singer, Lee Hong Ki, has a powerful, yet husky voice that plays right into the song. His technique of singing isn't anything new in the industry, but he's able to emit the right amount of emotion for the song.

Much of the rest of album is filled with upbeat rock songs and rock ballads. This might be disappointing to some, but there is definitely a lot for fans of this genre. The next song that really stood out is track 10, A Name Called Love. The song has some upbeat qualities to it, though it isn't too crazy or messy. It's a more midtempo rock song that makes use of the nice touch of piano. The vocals are quite nice throughout the song as they show another side of the vocalist's voice and the extra rap in the middle is surprising, but helps the song flow with a different feel. A far more upbeat track, Train, is probably my favourite track off the album. It's one of those fast paced rock songs with hints of pop. The guitar riffs sound quite sweet and the everything else seems to blend in with it. The vocal arrangement is probably the most interesting part of the song because it's just so different, but exciting.

Despite quite a few treats in the album, there is definitely one major problem the album holds and that's the repetitive sound of quite a few songs. The rock ballads, sound very similar to each, including the title track. Even when the song sounds different at the start, it goes right back into that mode where it sounds like the other tracks. The more upbeat songs are a great and don't few fall into the loop of repetitiveness, though there are definitely a few. Still, the album is of high quality. The vocals are rich and the the fact that the members played their own instruments in most of the songs is also great, though it would've been nice to hear a song they composed themselves.

3.5/5

1/5 - You might as well just flush your money down the toilet.

Archived