Official Album/single Review Thread

Guest BB-cheese

Super Junior M 1st Album - SUPER JUNIOR M

Sjm-me.jpg

1. 迷 (Me)

2. U (remake of "U")

3. 至少还有你" (remake of "至少还有你")

4. 你是我的奇迹 (Miracle) (remake of "Miracle")

5. 爱你爱你 (Love Song)

6. 我抱着我 (In my Arms)

7. Don't Don (remake of "돈 돈! (Don't Don)")

8. Marry U (remake of "Marry U")

9. 我的二分之一 (Full of Happiness) (remake of "행복")

10. 渴望 (A Man In Love) (remake of "갈증 (A Man In Love)")

11. 这一秒 (The Moment)

12. The One

13. 迷 (Me) (KOREAN VER.) - Korea bonus track

14. 당신이기에 ("至少还有你" KOREAN VER.) - Korea bonus track

15. 아이니아이니 ("爱你爱你" KOREAN VER.) - Korea bonus track

Super Junior-M often referred to as SJ-M, is the third official sub-group of Super Junior and was established in April 2008. Super Junior-M contains five Super Junior members, Han Geng (the leader), Donghae, Siwon, Ryeowook, Kyuhyun, and two non-Super Junior members, Henry and Zhou Mi. Many anti-fans for the two non-Super Junior members especially those who believe in “Only 13” but that’s another story. Their name “M” represents the word “mandarin” or the word Chinese word 迷 which means “charismatic” as well as “fan” (read as “mi”).

In this album Super Junior-M shows off their Chinese skills by translating their original Korean songs into Chinese. They are popular in China at the moment is set to release a 2nd album.

• 1. 迷 (Me)
    Nice background music and beat, quite a nice melody as well and their Chinese doesn’t sound as dodgy here. The MV is really cute and there is both the Korean and Chinese version of the MV
  • 2. U (remake of "U")
    This is a remake of their Super Junior’s “U” probably the only remake from Korean that is really worth listening to. They altered the song a bit but Yesung’s (not part of this sub-group) voice can still be heard in the background. Great dance moves come with it as well so maybe go check out the MV
  • 3. 至少还有你" (remake of "至少还有你")
    Most favorite song of this whole album. This is a sweet ballad and a remake of Sandy Lam’s 2000 hit single of the same name. The song has been rearranged though and is more modern with a gentle harmonisation that the original single. They all sound great together and this song is great. I think that the Korean version is much better though, it is a song that can really make you cry.
  • 4. 你是我的奇迹 (Miracle)" (remake of "Miracle")
    No point critiquing this…just want to say the KOREAN version is so much better!
  • 5. 爱你爱你 (Love Song)
    A cute song with a medium tempo dance music
  • 6. 我抱着我 (In my Arms)
    At first when I listened to this song I thought “Strange”, but then it grows on you. It gets much better in the chorus though and the tempo and drum beat is strong and is a mellow R&B ballad. I guess that it’s the strange echoes in the background that make it sound weird.
    The continuous repeating of the chorus gets on my nerves as well ==
  • 7. Don't Don (remake of "돈 돈! (Don't Don)")
    Please do not listen to this version, maybe you can listen to this before you listen to the Korean version so that you will be impressed by Super Junior, but please I really hated this version of Don’t Don. It really doesn’t have the same feel as the orginal.
  • 8. Marry U (remake of "Marry U")
    I guess this one is alright…at least it didn’t ruin the original version for me, the rap is sweet but it sounds empty without the 13 voices.
  • 9. 我的二分之一 (Full of Happiness)" (remake of "행복")
    Must I talk about this? Korean version is so much better, it sounds really weird but I guess the lyrics are cute.
  • 10. 渴望 (A Man In Love) (remake of "갈증 (A Man In Love)")
    BAHAHA. I thought that the original version was weird but this just seems like a joke
  • 11. 这一秒 (The Moment)
    Sounds like tango music in the beginning, but that’s just me being weird. A fast paced dance music with strong voices (something that sounds full). The rapping is good…oohh so good. It’s in English by the way and sung by non-SUJU member, Henry this is followed by his impressive violin playing. It tends to grow on you this song.
  • 12. The One
    This song is dedicated to the 2008 Beijing Olympics and is quite a nice ballad with nice music…yes just nice

Look I must admit that some the songs are good, but the remakes are really not worth listening to, you’d only be greatly disappointed. For the new Chinese songs that they have I also recommend you listen to the Korean versions, they’re really cute.

But what is LSM thinking hurry up and bring Super Junior back together again and make ELF happy!

Rating: 2/5

(I’m a Super Junior fan, but even I would not buy this album – no offense | please don’t bash me)

But if you MUST recommend download tracks: 1, 3 (Korean vers as well), 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Son Dambi – The Second Mini Album

35a0qc8.jpg

01 Crazy feat. Eric

02 Invisible Person

03 No Sympathy

04 PLAY

05 Crazy (Inst.)

Known for her soft voice and great dance moves, Son Dam Bi had garnered much love from fans and non-fans alike, especially after the success from her first mini album, released earlier this year. This fall, Son has returned with a brand new album, which consists of a total of four songs and one instrumental.

The album starts off with the title track, Crazy which like her previous hit, Bad Boy, is an electronica dance track. It was composed by the Brave Brothers who are known to create many of the popular beats in the Korean music industry today. The song utilizes the repetition of the word, “crazy” to catch listeners’ attention. However, I feel that the overuse of “crazy” may actually turn off listeners in the long run. Eric of Shinhwa helps break this repetition with some rap towards the latter portion of the song.

The next track is Invisible Person which in contrast to her title track is a ballad. The piano and saxophone accompaniment flows well with Son Dam Bi’s soft vocals. The song proves that Son is capable of singing genres others than dance. However, I felt that Invisible Person was very generic in terms of melody. Following the ballad number is No Sympathy, a medium tempo song that makes use of analog synthesizers. I personally found the beats quite interesting, but the song itself was mediocre, nothing unique. The last song is PLAY which is a retro number, very reminiscent of the 80s. It sounded like something that came out of an aerobic video. Two-thirds into the song is some male rapping which sounded like Aqua’s Barbie Girl. Once again, I didn’t think there was anything special with this song.

Overall, this album failed to impress me. I think the only song that had much potential was the title track, Crazy. The rest of the songs seemed like fillers to make a mini album. Hopefully, Son Dam Bi’s next album will provide some more listening-worthy songs.

3/5

5/5 - Even if you're not a fan of this artist/group this album is a must buy.

4/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you must buy this album.

3/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you might want to add this one to your collection.

2/5 - I don't think a fan would even buy this.

1/5 - You might as well just flush your money down the toilet

Guest Hitorijime

W&Whale Vol. 1 - HARDBOILED

p1011977420xi4.jpg

1. MacGuffin No.1

2. 오빠가 돌아왔다

3. Stardust

4. Morning Star

5. 아가사 크리스티의 이중생활

6. R.P.G. Shine

7. MacGuffin No.2

8. 월광 (月狂)

9. Too Young To Die (Too Drunk To Live)

10. 고양이 사용 설명서

11. Whale Song

12. R.P.G. (Rocket Punch Generation)

13. 최종병기 그녀

14. Dear My Friend

15. MacGriffin No.3

16. 우리의 해피엔드

W, a three piece band who are well known for their OST songs and Whale, a female soloist who has been featured in a few Clazzikuai related albums, have joined together to create an awkward, but powerful album which fuses electronica and a variety of other genres ranging from R&B to jazz to light rock into one. Despite being relatively new, the duo have performed together in numerous OSTs before the release of their debut album, which has brought them some attention. Now, with their new album behind their backs and their first single being a hit, it’s no doubt the group will become another respected group in the music industry.

R.P.G Shine is pure innovation. Using a light and somewhat futuristic sound, the song is able to show what W&Whale have to offer to the industry. Much like Clazziquai who are often known for their ability to fuse pop and electronica into one, W&Whale do the same, but in a way that not only brings back sounds reminiscent of older styles, but also of modern ones. From the fast paced verse where Whale just slices through the words to the funky, yet strikingly melodic chorus where the blending of piano and synths take everything to another level, the song is just plain amazing.

The rest of the album offers even more for listeners. Starting from the sassy Obbaga Dorawattda and ending with the disco-esque Uriui Haepiendeu the album offers a different view of the genre that has been sweeping the nation in 2008. Morning Star, probably my favourite on the album, is a calm electronic pop song that mind remind one of Clazziquai’s music. It’s catchy and quite surprising despite it’s more toned down sound when compared to other songs on the album. Another great song on the album is Agasa Keuriseutiui Ijungsaenghwal. Though it has a long name, the song has a darker feel to it and Whale’s vocals are just intoxicating as she uses her falsetto far more. The song has a trance-like feel to it, but still remains quite calm.

If you’re looking for something creative and different from the usual mainstream music, then try out W&Whale. Not only does the album offer different styles, but the whole concept is just amazing. I am definitely looking forward to their next album as this is by far my favourite album of 2008.

5/5

3/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you might want to add this one to your collection.

Seo Jin Young mini-album - Tears In One's Eyes

2367135.jpg

01 Tears In One’s Eyes

02 Star’s Voice

03 L.O.V.E Mode

04 Good Day

05 Tears In One’ Eyes (Inst)

06 Star’s Voice (Inst)

07 Tears In One’s Eyes (Geo’s Remix)

Purchase this album

Seo Jin Young is not a household name, but she's no rookie either. Debuting at the tender age of 18 back in 2001 with her first album and the hit song "Love Letter", an emotional ballad having an addictive melody, people were surprised that she sang so well at such a young age. In fact, the chorus part of most of her songs have very high notes but she handled it smoothly.

The second time we heard of Seo Jin Young featured in the OST of drama "Tale of Nine Fox". Her song "닮은사람" received good response. However, it wasn't until her debut song "Love Letter" was re-born to become "Missing You" in the drama "Summer Scent" OST that more listeners paid attention to Seo Jin Young.

In 2008, Seo Jin Young finally returns with a new mini-album "Tears In One's Eye" to the delight of her fans. The title song of the same name (track 1) is composed by singer-songwriter Shim Hyun Bo. It is another great ballad with a great chorus that we are familiar with from her. Her vocal has matured a lot since her debut. There is also an instrumental version of this song (track 5) and a remixed version on the last track of the mini-album. The remix was done by Sweetbox's producer Geo, giving the song a euro-dance style.

Even though this is only a mini-album with 4 songs (track 5, 6, and 7 are instrumentals and remix), all 4 songs have different varieties, giving listeners different choices. "Star's Voice" (Track 2) is a mid-tempo ballad with a nice guitar arrangement. The tempo of the song gets faster as it goes on. "L.O.V.E Mode" (track 3) is a light acoustic rock ballad. At the beginning and in the middle, the background vocal sings "You and Me, One Summer Night", one can feel Seo's warm vocal through this song. "Good Day" (track 4) is the most up-tempo song of the album. This time Seo Jin Young tried a rock style. This medium-tempo rocker gives fans a chance to listen to another side of her.

I've been following her career ever since she debuted in 2001. Back in that era, k-pop music had focused on appearances and dancing skills while vocal skills were secondary. Times have changed now. With such a sweet voice yet very strong vocal skills, perhaps it is time for underrated singers like Seo Jin Young to emerge. This mini-album is a good start and hopefully it will kickstart her singing career.

5/5

Wonder Girls – Nobody – The Wonder Years Trilogy

r08jkw.jpg

01 Intro

02 Nobody

03 I Tried

04 Saying I Love You

05 Nobody (Rainstone Remix)

06 Nobody (Inst)

07 I Tried (Inst)

08 Saying I Love You (Inst)

09 Nobody (Rainstone Remix) (Inst)

Purchase This Album

With many hit songs including Tell Me and So Hot under their belts, Korea’s favorite female group, Wonder Girls has returned once again within four months since their last, with the final installation of retro-music. Their new mini album titled, The Wonder Years – Trilogy was greatly anticipated by fans, curious about what the girls’ new concept would be. Likewise, I looked forward to their new single, as these girls were known for catchy beats.

The single starts off with a ballad version of their title track, Nobody. It begins with the climax, leading to the chorus; it has a very Dream Girls-like feel to it. The song showcases Ye-Eun and Sun-Ye’s vocals, something that is rarely heard in their other songs. To much disappointment, the song was only half a minute long, leaving listeners hungry for more. The album continues with the original version of Nobody which unlike the former version is very upbeat with Motown sounds from the 60s and 70s. The song has very repetitive lyrics with a chorus, “I want nobody nobody but you” which is hard to forget. My favorite part of the song would be the rap which Yoobin was able to master. Overall however, I felt that this song lacked variety, as I got tired of it after a couple of listens. There is one last variation of Nobody titled Rainstone Remix, which is an R&B version of the original. I enjoyed its beats and style best out of three as it seemed most modern.

The next number is I Tried which is a R&B ballad track. It is very calming and easy on the ears but nothing worth repeating. The last track is Saying I Love You which was personally penned by member Ye-Eun herself. Personally, this is the better ballad of the two with a pretty catchy chorus. The girls did a great job vocalizing most of the time in this song, except for certain parts; I had a hard time listening to So-Hee’s high-pitched vocals.

In my opinion, this mini album was not as great as their previous two. There were basically only three new songs with many different versions of each. The title track was catchy but definitely not their best. Besides Nobody, the only other track worth recommending was Saying I Love You and the Rainstone Remix of Nobody. Despite my disappointment, this album seemed to do well on the Korean music charts, so I feel that many will still enjoy it nonetheless.

3/5

Pia – Urban Explorer

wa22qp.jpg

01 Urban Explorer

02 Misconstrued

03 Silver

04 Save Us

05 Go! Just Go!

06 The Oracle [swan Remix]

07 B.F.S [butterfly Remix]

Purchase This Album

Alternative rock band, Pia has returned to the music scene with a mini album titled, Urban Explorer, one year since their fourth album, Waterfalls. Unlike their previous works, Pia has experimented with new sounds, incorporating synthesizers and different instruments. The electronica sounds are prominent in many of the songs, perhaps to appease a wider audience. Pia has mentioned on their official website that they wanted to talk about the society today and its corruptness. One can perhaps sense this through the songs in Urban Explorer.

The title track of the album is, Urban Explorer, a song that fuses electronica and rock genres together. The instruments in the background are what caught my attention, and you can hear a great portion of it 2:13 into the song. Using this song as the first single was wise because it definitely showed their new style.

One of the songs I enjoyed was Misconstrued, which is the follow up track. Unlike Urban Explorer, it is a bit heavier with more guitar and bass involved. Save Us, which was a re-arranged song from their previous number, Still Going Down, was another favorite of mine. There was a great use of bass and member Yohan’s vocals were reminiscent of No Brain’s in their hit song, “Banhesuh.” One also should try out Go! Just Go! I loved the vocals that flowed well with the fast-pace of this song. I recommend this song to those who are feeling for something loud and upbeat. One should also pay close attention to the instrumentals; the use of synthesizers and guitars harmonize well. The last song I wanted to mention was B.F.S. [butterfly Remix]. The song is very light-mooded and the vocals are very reminiscent of Seo Taiji’s.

Overall, I enjoyed this album. Though I have heard of Pia, it was my first time listening to their songs, and as a new fan of Korean alternative rock, I was glad to have tried them out. I took their experimentation of new sounds into a positive light because I feel that fans of mainstream music may actually take a liking to Pia’s mini album.

5/5

• 2 weeks later...
Guest melijeli

Dong Bang Shin Ki 동방신기

DBSK-mirotic.jpg

01 . 주문(MIROTIC)

02 . Wrong Number

03 . 노을..바라보다

04 . CRAZY LOVE

05 . HEY!(Don't bring me down)

06 . 넌 나의 노래 (You're my melody)

07 . 무지개(RAINBOW)

08 . 낙원(PARADISE)

09 . 악녀(Are you A Good girl?)

10 . Flower Lady

11 . 잊혀진계절 (Forgetten Season)

12 . Love in the Ice

01. MIROTIC- Wow. I love the beat to this song and even though the lyrics are very "mature" I think it brings out the adults in them (and might i mention the sexiness *wink*)

02. Wrong Number- I love this song. The music is unique and the meaning of the song is really good too. I'm glad they have this song to also let their fans know to back off a little. Celebs gotta have their space too :) Oh and jaejoong's rap.... :excl: :crazy::w00t:

03. 노을..바라보다(Looking at the sunset)- Breathtaking... Junsu's lyrics are put together so beautifully and this is one of my favorite songs on the album. Their voices are so powerful in this song and the song will leave you speechless.

04. Crazy Love- LOVE this song. The techno beat is amazing and when Changmin sings in techno, sounds so awesome. This song really gets me upbeat and feeling happy I can't stop listenin to it.

05. HEY!(Don't bring me down)- Wow sounds almost like an actual awesome american song just with sexy korean guys singing korean lyrics. :)

06. 넌 나의 노래 (You're my melody)- Such a pretty song. The harmony is fabulous and I wish to hear more songs from them like this. It's so peaceful you'll fall asleep to it. :)

07. 무지개(RAINBOW)- I haven't seen english translations for this song but this song has a "groovy" feeling to it i guess you can say? There voices sound really pretty in this one :)

08. 낙원(PARADISE)- The harp in the background sounds so beautiful.. and every time i hear them singing this and the beat i just think... usher XD or it reminds me of a song that sounds like usher xD especially when they sing "my boo my boo"

09. 악녀(Are you A Good girl?)- WOW! I love to dance to this song XD There harmony in this is really great too for being an upbeat hip hop song :D Gets me really hyper

10. Flower Lady- Another really pretty song. They sound so sweet singing "Say you'll stay always" and again the harmony is really beautiful, another peaceful song to fall asleep too :)

11. 잊혀진계절 (Forgetten Season)- BEAUTIFUL 1000000x1000000/10 Jaejoong's solo is perfection. His beautiful voice singing softly the 1st verse and then gets powerful in the 2nd verse (which are both the same lyrics) The piano and violins in the background is stunningly a beautiful piece put perfectly together with JJ's voice. Words can't describe the beauty within this song and the lyrics. My favorite song on the album! :D

12. Love in the Ice(korean)- The english lyrics for the Korean version are so sweet and beautiful written by Changmin i believe. i love both the japanese meaning and korean, both breathtaking. Their voices are so powerful in this song and they put their heart and soul into it. There's no way you couldn't love this amazing piece of

work.

I love every song on this album :D

5/5

Guest Mardi09

Zooropa Yellow - Memories

119826.gif

01. Memories

02. 널 지울게

03. U

04. 보고싶어

05. 구름 위를 걷다

06. 다가와

07. 기억해 줘

08. 바람 부는 날

09. 0109

10. 그곳에

11 Memories (Original)

12 널 지울게 (Original)

Purchase This Album

Words are hard to describe this album, but here I go. This is Zooropa Yellow's debut album and a pretty amazing one too. After the release of their single Cosmic Rays (which I have yet to listen to), they have come back with I Will Erase You, a pop rock song with a 3D-animated music video. In each and every song, there is a smooth flow that makes you want to listen to the songs over and over again. The gayageum (traditional Korean zither-like instrument with 12 to 21-strings) played by member Min Hye In is just fabulous. You can hear it playing in most tracks, like tracks 1, 4 and 5. By adding the gayageum to the songs, Zooropa Yellow make the songs more meaningful and interesting. The songs are not too low or too high. They have a slow, smooth blend that makes a listener feel relaxed. By adding the gayageum, the album is even more unique than any other type of Korean indie/modern rock music I have listened to thus far. With lead vocalist and guitarist Kim Jae Yong's relaxing and powerful voice, the songs are filled with emotion and gentle beats, surpassing what I had first expected. Listeners can feel the group's passion in the album.

When I was first asked to write the album review for Zooropa Yellow, I felt a little hesitant. Deciding that I liked the title track (track 2: I Will Erase You), I figured I should try the rest of the album. After having the whole album on "repeat" mode for a few days, I do not regret listening to the album at all. It has become, for me, the album to listen to when I get mad, feel a little down, or just because I want to. It's an album that is not disappointing at all, one that I look forward to listening to every time I grab my mp3 player. It has an amazing and unique blend of instruments and vocals to make a great first album.

5/5

Guest justsmileforme

I cannot even begin to thank everyone for their wonderful reviews;

I have a music project where I have to write a review of my 20 favorite songs,

and this thread was a tremendous amount of help.

Of course, I didn't copy and paste the reviews, but it helped me write my reviews.

Thank you so much everyone, and thank you to everyone in advance who is going to post up a review.

-c.k.t

FT Island – Vol. 2 Colorful Sensibility Part 2

6duzcn.jpg

01 I Love You (Love is…)

02 Heaven

03 When I Ask For Your Wellbeing

04 To Hope For

05 Words I Have To Tell My Old Pal

06 You Are Love

Debuted just last year, 5-member idol band, FT Island has been very successful with hits after hits from “Love Sick” which was their debut number, to “Lying Love” released just this year. Just two months short since the release of their sophomore album, Colorful Sensibility, the band has returned with a Part II, consisting of six rock ballads composed and written by hit artists including Jo Young Soo and An Young Min.

The principle track is “Heaven,” track 2 of the album. It starts off with an energetic and rhythmical violin arrangement which increases in speed and power. Initially, this caught my attention. The violin instruments soon fade out to Hong Ki’s soft yet husky vocals. He definitely brings out the exasperation and desperation portrayed in the song. Overall, the song is very emotional and the instruments and vocals live up to the mood. However, one problem I experienced was that despite the catchy introduction; all in all, the song was very reminiscent of their past title tracks.

Rewinding a bit, another song I wanted to mention was “I Love You (Love is…)” (track 1), which contrasting to “Heaven”, is very cheerful and lively. The song is about giving one’s all for a lover. It has a very hopeful and optimistic view, perfect for those in new relationships. The other four tracks were also well produced and sung, with different members contributing their vocals in “When I Ask For Your Wellbeing” (track 3) and “Words I Have To Tell My Old Pal” (track 5).

In conclusion however, I felt that despite the great vocals and instrumentals put into each song, in the end, everything started to sound alike. The songs seemed very cookie-cutter based, not giving FT Island the chance to prove themselves as a true band. FT Island definitely has the skill and potential; I think a variety in songs would attract a bigger fan base.

3/5

Sung Si Kyung Vol. 6 (Special Edition) (Limited Edition)

- CD

01 . 여기 내 맘속에

02 . 어디에도

03 . 더 아름다워져

04 . 안녕 나의 사랑

05 . 잃어버린 것들

06 . 그대와 춤을

07 . Baby You Are Beautiful

08 . 눈부신 고백

09 . 사랑하는 일

10 . 소풍

11 . 당신은 참..

12 . 계절이 돌아오듯이

13 . 한번 더 이별

14 . 아는 여자

15 . 좋을텐데 (Live)

16 . 내게 오는 길 (Live)

17 . 서른 즈음에 (Live)

- DVD : Live Concert : 시경이가 들려주는 마지막 이야기

01 . Intro

02 . 안녕 나의 사랑

03 . 성시경의 잘하는 일, 못하는 일

04 . 넌 감동이었어

05 . 성시경의 좋아하는 일, 싫어하는 일

06 . 내게 오는 길

07 . 서른 즈음에

08 . 콘서트 스케치

- Music Video

09 . 한번 더 이별

10 . 사랑하는 일

11 . 안녕 나의 사랑

- Making Film

12 . 안녕 나의 사랑

13 . 콘서트 리허설

14 . 6집 재킷 촬영

BUY HERE

Following his enlistment to the army back in the first half of the year, I had not been expecting a special edition or compilation of his work for a while. Just to make sure however, that the fans would be reminded of his talent and musicality, this Special Edition of his 6th album was released at the end of October. As far as Special editions go, it’s actually a real treat for fans with not just six extra tracks, but a DVD with concert footage and an extra photo book as well as more new photos in the booklet itself.

The original album released in mid June of this year was, as always a pleasure to listen to, not just because of Sikyung’s beautiful and flawless voice but his ever continuing exploration of style and collaborative song writing. Sikyung has no real need to improve his vocal like other singers, so its always a joy to hear an album that focuses on style and melody so intensively. With mellow, romantic, well written ballads it is a relaxing and easy to listen album and one I like better than his fifth.

Of the extra tracks, track 12 was previously available on the Japanese ‘best of’ album, track 13 and 14 are from the single released at the start of the year. The last three are, respectively, live versions of tracks from ‘Melodie D’amour’, ‘Until I Dream Again’ and a cover version of Kim Kwang Suk’s ‘Around Thirty’ which is worth buying the whole album for is also included on the DVD as a live performance.

Its really good to see a company be generous with extras in a Special Edition considering most fans will have already bought the album, not expecting there would be one.

*Kim Kwang Suk was a Korean folk rock singer who committed suicide in January 1996.

Mario - Vol 1 - Time to Mario

01 . Intro

02 . 난 니꺼

03 . 여기에 있어요 (Feat.김보아)

04 . 수퍼맨 (Feat.영지)

05 . 너만 괜찮다면

06 . I will

07 . Good Bye

08 . 난 너에게 (Feat.박혜경)

09 . 두서 없는 노래

10 . Good Bye Cool Mix (feat Crown J)

11 . 난 니꺼 (Radio Edit ver.)

buy here

Following in the current trend of R&B with an electronic backing, this is a first album from Mario. Mario has a pleasant voice to listen to, but as far as first albums go, there doesn’t seem to be any one track in particular that makes that big ‘wow’ impact on me. The slower tracks are soothing enough to have in the background, but I found the upbeat ones irritating and the whole album sounds just a little too familiar and a mix of ‘cookie-cutter’ type songs.

The one song that stands out for me is ‘I will’ that seem unable to decide what its trying to be – an odd mix of rock and R&B that just about works. One thing it does show is that maybe Mario should be singing less R&B and maybe go for a more indie/rock style as his voice sounds far better in that style than R&B where, while pleasant, is still too similar to anyone else that can sing. Track 9 두서 없는 노래 was also worth a listen as was the remix of Goodbye that featured Crown-J.

2/5 – Only a fan would buy this.

1/5 – Even a fan might be disappointed

Goofy - Neo Goofy 2008 single

01 . 너를 위한 마지막 노래

02 . 사랑은 없다

03 . Touch

http://track.webgains.com/click.html?wgcam...0&wgtarget= http://www.yesasia.com/global/goofy-single...-0-en/info.html

Its been three years since their last release and the original line-up has changed with the introduction of J Me as lead vocalist (replacing vocalist Lee Seung Gwan) but if this single album is anything to go by, the quality has not.

J Me’s vocals are clear and it is easy to hear how well the new line up work well together, particularly on the main track 사랑은 없다 ‘no love’ which is catchy with an interesting beat you can’t help tapping along to. Park SeongHo who wrote and composed all the tracks keeps the sound fresh and interesting. J Me contributes to the lyrics of track 1 which is already on repeat listen for me along with the rest of the album.

I’m looking forward to when they release a full or mini album and in the meantime will be tracking down past releases which are sadly unavailable on yesasia at present.

Kim Dong Wan Single Album - Promise

01 . intro

02 . 약속 (duet with 윤하)

03 . 못잊어

04 . 약속 inst

BUY HERE

This was his last release before his entry into the army, and choosing a duet with YounHa in a poignant ballad suits the mood very well. Releases like this are aimed for the fans, especially so in this case as there are pictures of 100 fans on the inside cover. (*coughs* your truly included).

The songs themselves are not long and drawn out and whilst the duet with Younha was the one promoted, I rather prefer the second ballad with its simple piano arrangement that shows of Dongwan’s vocals to their best. The songs are sung with genuine emotion and are touching, sweet and well written and worth having as a permanent fixture on your playlist.

Rain – Vol. 5 Rainism

2n6xh7d.jpg

01 My Way

02 Rainism

03 Only You

04 Love Story

05 Love Is

06 My Woman

07 You

08 Fresh Woman

09 Attract More (feat. C-LUV)

10 Put Your Head Up

11 September 12th

12 My Way

13 Rainism Remix

Purchase This Album

Rain has achieved much on his own after leaving the shelter of JY Park’s wings, soon after the release of his fourth studio album two years ago. He soon established his own company, J Tune Entertainment and took part in two Hollywood films, Speed Racer and Ninja Assassin. However, Rain has not forgotten his fans back in his motherland and has released his fifth album this year, the first to be produced under his own music label. The album is titled Rainism, where the multi-talented artist hoped to show a new ideology in various aspects of fashion, dance, to music. Fans and non-fans alike had anticipated this new release more than ever, due to Rain’s independence from his past company. Does he have what it takes to be successful in the music scene?

The title track is “Rainism,” an upbeat track which starts off with heavy beats and rhythms. The song is very repetitive with the lyrics, “I’m gonna be a bad boy,” which can get very addictive with a melody hard to forget. Personally, I enjoyed the melody but was very disappointed with the lyrics. To me, it seemed very limited and just showed Rain’s poor English pronunciation skills. If Rain really wants to make it to the American scene, he shouldn’t have included so many English words. The co-title track is “Love Story” which was released as a digital single prior to the release of the album. Unlike “Rainism,” it is a medium-tempo R&B number which shows off his potential as a lyricist as well as a vocalist. Rain is able to express much emotion through this beautiful piece.

One of the songs I initially enjoyed was “Love Is” which is another medium-tempo R&B track. However it is more relaxed than “Love Story” with a much lighter mood. Those familiar with Rain’s past hits will find this very reminiscent to “I Do” from his third album. Once again, Rain took part in penning the lyrics to this song, which is a plus. Another song I would recommend is “You.” It is pretty upbeat with a catchy melody. One can hear Rain singing in his falsetto throughout most of song which I took interest in. The last song I wanted to mention was “Put Your Head Up” which is another fast track which Rain is known for. It is a pretty generic dance track but addictive nonetheless. It’s a perfect song to play while on the drive or for just partying up.

Overall, I feel that this album will get mixed reviews from different people. As a fan of some of his older hits, I believe that Rain was successful in retaining his old style. However, I was disappointed with a couple factors. First of all, I felt that some of the tracks were too general and sounded too similar with each other. Second of all, I really despised his overuse of English words which in many cases ruined a perfectly good song (ie. introduction of “My Woman” (track 6). Because there were both catchy and non-catchy songs, I conclude by giving this a 3.5/5.

3.5/5

Clazziquai Project – Metrotronics: With DJ Max

122n4u9.jpg

01 Electronics

02 Flea

03 Beat in Love

04 Color

05 Night Stage

06 Creator

07 Beautiful Stranger (Sliced Cheese Remix)

08 Beat in Love (Nakata Remix)

Purchase this Album

Clazziquai has been out since 2001 where members DJ Clazzi and vocalists, Alex and Horan had released music a bit different from what was initially popular in mainstream Korea. Their music worked with electronica, house, jazz, and groove and it wasn’t until the hit drama series, My Lovely Kim Sam Soon came out in 2005, when the project group became increasingly popular, with their hit song, “She Is.” With this accomplishment under their belts, the group continued to release hits in Korea and even worked with Japanese artists including m-flo. It’s been almost a year since Clazziquai Project has released anything in Korea, their last being the Robotica album, as members Alex pursued a solo album while Horan took part in various project groups. Just three months ago; however, they had released a Japanese album, titled Beat in Love and this past November, has returned to Korea once again with a special album titled Metrotronics. This album which features music more on the techno side was made for the popular PSP game, DJ Max Portable, allowing Clazziquai to show a different side of them.

The title track is “Flea” which is an electronica techno number with amazing arrangement and melody done by DJ Clazzi. The song is basically about the uncertainty of the modern society and this can be distinctly heard just by the mood of the song alone. In addition Alex and Horan complement well with the aura of the song, which had caught my attention from the start.

“Beat In Love” is the next track and it is of a lighter mood, very reminiscent of their third album’s style (ie. “Lover Boy”). This song was originally from their Japanese album release, but it doesn’t hurt to include this number into this album. The song is very smooth and easy listening and I think people who enjoy Clazziquai’s older works will take a liking to this track. Another track I’d like to mention is “Color.” This is a sole instrumental track done by DJ Clazzi but the intricate sound mixing he has done is worth listening. Towards the middle of the song, there are more heavy sounds which give the song a new twist. The last song worth recommending is “Creator.” The song starts off with vocals which give a dark quality to it. However, it soon leads to the chorus which gives a hopeful message.

In conclusion, I say that this album was pretty similar to their Robotica album in terms of style. However, there were some songs that were reminiscent of their third album, LOVE CHILD of the CENTURY. In addition, there were new innovative sounds as shown through “Flea.” With a bit of everything included in this album, I say this is worth giving a try.

5/5

Man and Wife Duet - When You were Twenty Years Old

o93e9t.jpg

01 1968’

02 When You were Twenty Years Old

03 Married Couple

04 Love Is

05 My Love Forever

06 My Wonderful Life

07 When You were Twenty Years Old Remix

08 Married Couple (Narration Version)

09 Love Is (Inst)

10 When You were Twenty Years Old (Inst)

11 Married Couple (Inst)

Purchase This Album

When I initially received this CD to review, I thought it was a compilation album, consisting of songs for married couples. However, after doing some brief research, I found out that “Man and Wife Duet” was actually the name of this much loved group who has been in the industry for twenty years. It’s been 15 years and Man and Wife Duet has returned with a special album with a very special theme. As their name suggests, the theme is about the love and loyalty between married couples and their memories helping bring up their new family.

The title track is “When You Were Twenty Years Old” and it is a sweet duet love song reminiscing about a couple’s past. The female and male vocals take turns singing their parts about what they remember from marriage, their first kid, and to the present day. The song has a very jazzy and Christmas-y feel to it which will warm listeners’ hearts. I recommend this song even to fans of Korean pop.

A song I particularly enjoyed was “Love Is” which is another jazzy, slow-tempo number. The female’s voice is very soothing making it a perfect for romantic evenings or even for sole easy listening. The lyrics are very sweet, which are about living for only one and only lover.

In conclusion, I would like to say that this album has definitely exceeded my expectations. I was looking to hearing some old fashioned melody and sounds, but the album was able to mix both older and contemporary components together, making this album enjoyable for different generations. I feel that if the album isn’t for you, the title track, “When You Were Twenty Years Old” should at least be given a chance. The only problem I had with the album was the lack of songs, there being only five along with remix and instrumentals.

4/5

Sugar Coating – Vol. 1 Song For You

24bn5uq.jpg

01 Welcome to the Sugarcoating

02 Shall We Dance

03 Resisting Love

04 Song For You

05 My Christmas Story

06 On the Street

07 Like You

08 After

09 Dear Blue

10 Good Night

11 Time to the Music

12 Resisting Love (Inst)

13 Shall We Dance (Inst)

Purchase This Album

Sugar Coating is a new duo consisting of producer Suh Seung Hun and vocalist Park Yeh In. Some may recognize Suh Seung Hun’s name as he has been in the music industry for ten years time, producing hit songs for popular singers such as Jang Nara. He had wanted to create some music suited to his own tastes so he worked on releasing easy listening music with the help of vocalist Park Yeh In. It took three years to complete this project, filled with various genres including acidjazz, bossa nova, electronica, and latin.

From what I have looked into, there was no specific title track mentioned, but I’m guessing it’s “Song For You” (track 4) because the album title is of the same name. The song was catchy on first listen with a brief introduction of various instruments from maracas, guitar, drums to brass. It seemed very jazzy and in a sense, tropical. Park Yeh In compliments well with her husky yet calming vocals to the melody. This medium tempo number is very soothing to the mind.

“Shall We Dance” (track 2) on the other hand is a very jazzy slow number. The flute, brass, and drums seem key in creating the melody. The song is very classy and is very reminiscent of Clazziquai’s “Last Tango.” “Resisting Love” (track 3) takes a different mood as it is much more upbeat and livelier than the former. It sounds like something coming straight out from the “Coffee Prince” drama series. The lighthearted feel to the song is appealing. The last track I want to mention is “Time To Music” (track 10) which takes upon a more upbeat turn mixing with mainstream sounds. There are electronica components in the melody which liven the track.

Overall, I feel that Sugar Coating was successful in creating the sophisticated music which they hoped to achieve. Each song had its own unique quality to it, whether it was through the use of instruments, the genre, or Park’s vocals. Much experimentation was done to make these quality sounds which I find many will enjoy.

4.5/5

Park Kang Sung – Vol. 6 Out Going in Seven Years…

ouw01d.jpg

01 Sorry

02 I Love You

03 Tequila

04 Beautiful Person

05 Star In My Heart

06 Even Though You Hate, Give Me One More Chance

07 White Night

08 Dreams Come True

09 Feeling

10 Us Back in Time

11 My Life

12 One Person

13 Toy Soldier feat. Buga Kingz

Purchase This Album

Park Kang Sung finally releases his sixth studio album seven years since his last, thus the title of the album. People familiar with him know him as the king of live music who releases hits after hits, each filled with great emotion. This album is no different which many songs catered to different tastes from moving ballads to trot influenced upbeat songs.

The title track is “Sorry” (track 1) which Park himself picked as a favorite. This ballad number starts off with sad piano and guitar arrangements and then off with Park Kang Sung’s explosive vocals. Overall, it is very expressive as the lyrics are about meeting one’s love many years later, unable to say sorry for all the things done in the past.

A song that stood out was “I Love You” (track 2) which is another ballad, but an exceptional one. It samples the melody of the famous “You Raise Me Up” which is played very smoothly with violin arrangements. Park’s voice is very husky yet powerful, making this song well made and recorded. This song has a very contemporary feel to it which I think many k-pop listeners may have interest in. “Tequila” (track 3) takes on an opposite turn as it has a Latin and trot vibe. This upbeat number talks about forgetting one’s worries with tequila. The song is danceable to and may even fit with what some listeners may go through. I also enjoyed “My Life” (track 11) which is of the rock genre. It is very upbeat and showcases Park’s vocals. The guitar seems like the focal point in this song and it accompanies the melody well. The last song I want to recommend is “Toy Solider” (track 13) which features R&B/hip-hop group, Buga Kingz. Because of this, the song takes upon this style. It starts off with a mainstream arrangements, melody and then with some rap. The song is very hip and I recommend everyone to give it a listen.

Despite Park Kang Sung being a singer for older generations, I felt that he was successful in capturing a bigger audience by staying true to the older styles but at the same time trying out different genres.

4/5

Jang Sa Ik – Vol. 6 Flower Watching

1tqv44.jpg

01 This Is Not It

02 Flower Watching

03 Traveling Marketeer

04 High and Low

05 I Really Didn’t Know

06 Revolving Triangle

07 Eye

08 Sundrops

09 Stupid Angel

Purchase This Album

Jang Sa Ik, known for classical Korean music has been in the industry for over a decade, known for hits such as “Father” from his fourth album and “Dusk Road” included in his fifth. It’s been two years and Jang has returned with “Flower Watching” for his comeback. Through this album, one can have a feel for the traditional Korean music in the midst of the present globalized Korean music industry.

The title song as mentioned earlier is “Flower Watching” (track 2). Right from the start, one can hear the traditional instruments which I’m guessing is the hageum or some other sort string instrument. I personally am a fan of these types of instruments so the introduction was worth listening. The song then continues with Jang’s narration-type singing where he talks about taking his mother to look at a field of beautiful flowers on the mountain tops. Unlike modern songs, this track focuses on “out of the ordinary” topics such as these. The song is basically composed of narration, instruments, brief melody, and yells of expression all separated, showing listeners another type of music genre.

A song I want to mention is “Revolving Triangle” (track 6). This medium tempo number has a straight-forward melody unlike the title track. The minimum usage of instruments shows a mixture of jazz one may hear in a old-fashioned café. The last song I wanted to talk about is “Stupid Angel” (track 9) which goes a bit astray from his other works as it has a hint of rock to it. However, the melody and vocals of Jang remains the same, keeping true to his style.

Initially, I didn’t think much of the album because it was not really my type of music. However, after listening through the songs, I grew to appreciate classical Korean music. I think my love for Korean traditional instruments helped me appreciate some of the songs and their style. However, I think people may actually enjoy some of the recommended tracks as it mixes a bit of modern instruments.

3/5

Archived