Official Album/single Review Thread

Guest ~ cherrie ~

WONDER GIRLS ( 원더걸스 )- THE WONDER YEARS

i68542_DSC00644.jpg

Purchase This Album!

01 I Wanna

02 이 바보

03 Tell Me (Sampling of “Two Of Hearts”)

04 Friend

05 Headache

06 뭐 어때 (Feat. David Kim)

07 Wishing on a star

08 Move (Feat. Lee Min Woo)

09 가져가

10 Good Bye

11 Bad Boy

12 미안한 마음

13 Irony

Wonder Girls is a girl group by 5 young girls. They were carefully hand picked by renowned producer JYP. Brefore debuting, they even have their own documentary- MTV WG and currently airing MTV WG Season 3.

I always love the girls when their 'Irony' single came out with the title song, fast/catchy song,a ballad and an 'Irony' remix.

The total 5 tracks were awesome.The girls debuted in February 2007 with the ability to perform live with much-hyped

dancing showing of their 'uniform' concept.The whole single was produced by JYP himself making sure that the girls have

enough to proof their abilities and skills to the k-pop industry.

At first i thought 'Tell Me' was a typical poppish song but it added some 80's beat and feel to it. The song is so catchy plus easy to learn 'Tell Me' dance, i was caught in the craze myself. With all 5 members dressed like those in the 80's, it even caught attention to those 'ahjumma' and 'ahjusshi' from the 80's.

I am satisfied with their album.Their album wasn't too poppish as i was expected. It's more to electronic and dance genre.

I didn't really like 'I Wanna' at first cause it's so electronic-ish but i found myself humming and liking the song when they performed at the SBS Daejun last year.It was a cool performance.It has the similar flava to 'Tell Me'.

They promoted 'This Fool' as their 2nd song. Though it is catchy, i didn't like the song.Until now,i will still give it a 'must listen' in my itunes but i always skip the song.

Track 3: 'Tell Me'. This title song deserved to be the title song..lol. It is catchy and has 80's disco flava to it.I wasn't caught in the 'Tell Me' craze but this song really boost their popularity. They even won numerous awards for this.Many people believe that WG's vocal skills isn't up to the par but when the 5 of them perform on stage,charisma oozing away.

Track 4: 'Friend'. This is one of my fav. ballads from the girls.It has similar mid-tempo like their other ballads but it totally pulled off well with such melodic background. It did justified their vocal capabilities especially Sun Ye, Sun Mi and Ye Eun.So Hee even sounded good here though i didn't hear yoo bin's voice.

Track 5: 'Headache'. I have to admit that this is my least my song in the album. Though many liked it, i didn't feel the song.

It is just merely screaming for me.It's another 80's disco song. Yoo Bin's rapping is a plus.Others, didn't do much justified to the song cause i tend to skip it though the song arrangement is okay.

Track 6 : 'So What'. The song is nice.It is a very relaxing song. You can hear sun mi, so hee and sun ye rapping in this song which you don't get to hear that often.Ye Eun's powerful voice blew me away. David Kim is good as well.

Track 7: 'Wishing on a Star'. At first, i didn't really like the song and now it has been growing onto me after i saw their newly released M/V that was shot in New York. The lyrics and M/V were touching.This made the song more meaningful. Def. one of my fav ballads.

Track 8: 'Move'.Produced and composed by M.I felt the whole song was at slow and lazy pace.It sounded like 'lazy song'.They could have done better or the song doesn't do much justification.

Track 9: 'Take It All'. I'm glad they performed the song and it's one of my personal fav. I just love how sun mi sang the first part with such low voice with yoo bin's super fast rapping. Ye Eun and Sun Ye once again proofed people wrong about their singing skills.

Track 10: 'Goodbye'. At first i thought it's a slow song but it's not. It's my fav. song in the album after 'Take It All'. I love the

beat to the song.It's very catchy and it's purely recommended by me.

Track 11: 'Bad Boy'. I thought the song is cool.Girl Power Rulez! The drum beating of this song was cool.It has sort of 'red indian' feel to the song.And things got different, Hyuna sang and sun ye did the rap.The song was at fast pace as if everybody was rapping. I somehow prefer this song to 'Irony'.

Track 12:'Sorry Heart'.Ever since i heard this song, i love it. I can't get enough of this song.It is almost similar to Bi's In My

Bed.Sun Mi,Sun Ye and Ye Eun shine in this song. Mid-tempo ballads are their forte.

Track 13: 'Irony'.How can i not miss their debut song.It is catchy and the M/V is hella cute.This song brought me to Wonder Girls and got to know them even more.Even the dance step is good enough for you to watch their performance.

My recommendations would be 1,3,4,6,7,9,10,11,12,13

I would rate 4/5

5/5 - Even if you're not a fan of this artist/group this album is a must buy.

4/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you must buy this album.

3/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you might want to add this one to your collection.

2/5 - I don't think a fan would even buy this.

1/5 - You might as well just flush your money down the toilet.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neshpa

Davichi (다비치) Vol. 1 - AMARANTH

Davichi1.jpg

01 미워도 사랑하니까

02 립스틱 짙게 바르고

03 나쁘고 아픈 나

04 슬픈 다짐

05 외사랑

06 슬픈 사랑의 노래

07 별이 빛나는 밤

08 그런거니

09 겨우겨우

10 이별의 반대말

Purchase this album

Making headlines even before their official debut, Davichi present their first album, "Love You Even Though I Hate You". This R&B female duo of Lee Hae Ri and Kang Min Kyung caused an immediate sensation with the music video of their title song Miwodo Saranghanikka (Track 1). The MV stars A-list actress Lee Mi Yeon and pop queen Lee Hyo Lee, whose provocative image has shocked many K-pop fans. Top-rated MV director Cha Eun Tek took inspiration from the Hollywood movie "Thelma And Louise" to reel out a road movie that complements the ballad written by Vibe's Ryu Jae Hyun.

Highlighting Lee Hae Ri's silvery vocals and the husky voice of Kang Min Kyung, their debut album boasts an elaborate line-up of top composers like Park Geun Tae, Jo Young Soo, Kim Do Hoon, and Park Hae Woon. While demonstrating the duo's immense singing potentials, Davichi's well-crafted album also distinguishes them from the massive pool of K-pop newcomers.

미워도 사랑하니까 is a powerful ballad about a woman unable to leave her lover behind even though he no longer loves her. The lyrics are heart-wrenching, and that is more than enough reason to love this song. With the powerful vocals and emotion in the title track, I don't know how anyone could not like this song. Lee Hae Ri and Kang Min Kyung's strong vocals make such a beautiful and smooth duet and complement each other's voices so well I thought I was going to cry.

Although 립스틱 짙게 바르고 is not really my style, I was still able to appreciate the girls' voices and I'm sure others can do the same. Sometimes it isn't about whether the song is suited for you, it's about appreciating the effort your favourite artiste has put into the song. With that said, I am able to recommend all the songs in Davichi's debut album. If I had to choose my top three, I would have to choose the title track, 미워도 사랑하니까, 나쁘고 아픈 나 and 이별의 반대 말.

It's obvious that I would recommend this album, as my review shows how much I love this album. If you love to listen to powerful ballads as much as I do, I really encourage you to give Davichi a try.

5/5

3/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you might want to add this one to your collection.

• 1 month later...

Park Hye Kyung Remake Album - When A Woman Is In Love

ParkHyeKyungRemake.jpg

1. Beautiful Separation

2. To You

3. Between Love and Friendship

4. My Presence That Shine Upon My Heart

5. I Believe

6. That’s Probably…

7. Very Long Lovers

8. The Shadow Of Separation

9. Scented Memories

10. Reality

Purchase this album

Even though remake albums are not as abundant as a few years before, they have proved to be a good way to solidify or to revitalize a singer's career. Singing newly-rearranged hit songs from the past is convenient to get listeners' attentions. Park Hye Kyung already has a unique voice and singing style, and she seems to be a perfect fit to remake songs in her own style.

Having said that, if you are a die-hard fan of the original version, you may have a hard time accepting a drastically different new version. But overall, it seems fans are accepting this album as we can see from its popularity in terms of chart performance and record sales.

Unlike most remake albums, "When A Woman Falls In Love" consists of many great hits previously sung by male artistes. The title song, "Between Love And Friendship", is a wonderful love song about the feelings between friends who turn into lovers. Pinocchio originally sang this song and Lee Soo Young was the first one to remake it in her "Classic" album. Park Hye Kyung's version is very different from the previous two versions. She did a great remake by giving a different style and emotion to the song.

The first and the last track of the album are also worth mentioning. "Wonderful Separation" (track 1) was a hit song previously sung by Kim Gun Mo, and Park Hye Kyung voice fits this ballad very well. It is a great choice to be the first song of the album. "Reality" is the only English song on the album. This Richard Sanderson song was very popular among Asian fans in the early 80s. It is nice to see a new version today.

One disappointment is the cover of Shin Seung Hoon's big hit, "I Believe". Like other songs from this album, it was completely rearranged. As it is the most recent hit song on this album (the original version was a hit just 6 years ago), most listeners would probably find it hard to accept this version.

Overall, this is an okay album. I've listened to most of Park Hye Kyung's albums and she has had better albums than this one. But to give her credit, she did a good job in remaking these songs. It does have a refreshing feeling listening to a new version of these oldies again.

3/5

Fly To The Sky - Recollection

fttsrecrh9.jpg

Track list:

01 . 행복을 주는 사람

02 . 취중진담 (Feat. AND)

03 . 마지막 사랑

04 . 회상

05 . 이밤의 끝을 잡고

06 . 달팽이

07 . 세상끝에서의 시작 (Brian Solo)

08 . 소원 (Hwany Solo)

09 . 내 눈물 모아

10 . 한장의 추억

Purchase this album

I have always enjoyed Korean remake albums, they bring back to life older songs and singers that I would not have normally come across as well as demonstrating the personal likes of singers I admire. Fly to the Sky's remake album, released on the 23rd of April, is no exception.

This is a very enjoyable album even if, like me, you didn’t know any of the original versions of the songs to start with. It will appeal to FTTS fans who enjoy their style of music and voices, and maybe will draw in newer fans who are keen to hear some of the songs they grew up with again in a modern and stylish arrangement.

For the purpose of this review I have added links where possible to the original versions so that the new arrangements can be appreciated and compared.

Track 1 – BMW’s 행복을 주는 사람 (Person who gives happiness) started to grow on me after a few listens, but I wasn’t too keen on the opening of the song which made me think my CD player was skipping or the disc was damaged. (Though perhaps that was the point, considering the LP textured CD). Fly to the sky’s arrangement picks up the beat more than the original and gives the song a touch more polish.

Fan-made video (I think):

취중진담 Feat AND (Drunken Truth) (track 2) was the main one to catch my attention. Originally sung by Kim Dong Ryul the new arrangement focuses more on harmonising the vocals, something that has been done to fit FTTS voices very well indeed. The lack of instrumentation at the start emphasises this harmony they have created and its truly a wonderfully arranged version, and one I would say is the best by far of the whole album. The division of parts between Brian and Hwanhee suits their vocals perfectly, and is fast becoming my favourite track.

Kim Dong Ryul Live version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dTCrsDm2b4U

Track 3 - Park Ki Young's 마지막 사랑 (Last Love) is more of a traditional ballad style and something you wouldn’t be out of place on a regular FTTS album. It is beautifully sung and as can be seen from original performances by Park Ki Young, why this song appealed to the duo to remake and bring back into the public ear.

Park Ki Young Live version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=PxLq4OXflNI

회상 (December) was the second hit off Turbo’s third album – I really like the melody on this and the instrumentation keeps it as light and cheerful as the original arrangement but loses the bubble-gum pop sound, turning into something more modern and palatable. With a nice rhythm and beat it’s one I’d love to see performed live. I wasn’t too keen on the small section of rap at first, but on second and third listen it does help break up the repetition of the song nicely.

Turbo December MV: http://youtube.com/watch?v=00GZi5Ri9Z8

Track 5 - 이밤의 끝을 잡고 (Hold On to End of this Night) taken from Solid’s second Album in 1995 is nicely done but doesn’t really stand out for me. It is one I think was chosen by Hwanhee as he has sung it before on x-man a year ago and its easy to see how this melody can catch attention.

Hwanhee’s version on x-man: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0r_C5yGff2s

Solid’s MV: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MTty_2vJcS4

Track 6 – Panic's 달팽이 (Snail) yet another from 1995 is one of the few on the album that I prefer the original version of. . It’s not a bad arrangement, but my personal feeling is that the lyrics and meaning are better expressed with simple piano as Panic did in 1995. It is worth watching the original MV – its inspirational lyrics are reason enough to like this song.

MV with English subs: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8vYQD5Z4AlI

Kim Min Jong – 세상끝에서의 시작 (Start from world’s end) from the 1998 Drama "Mister Q" was the choice for Brian’s solo. Rearranging the intro and main tune as well as the addition of a rap, takes away drama feel of the original and it works well for Brian’s vocals.

Original MV:

Hwanhee’s solo - Kim Hyun Sung’s 소원 (Wish)– is more of a homage than a remake as it doesn’t tamper too much with the original arrangement just adds a touch of R&B flavour to suit the lower range of Hwanhee’s vocals.

Kim Hyun Sung - So Won MV -

Track 9 – sounds like an FTTS song simply by the intro alone but is a very nicely produced version of Seo Ji Won 내 눈물 모아 (Gathering My Tears).

Seo Ji Won ‘Gathering My Tears’ MV -

Track 10 - Cool's 한장의 추억 (Memory of a Funeral) doesn’t try to over complicate the arrangement or smother the already beautiful melody.

Streaming link to Original version: http://www.esnips.com/doc/77662824-57e8-4f...%B6%94%EC%96%B5

Tracks 2, 3 and 4 are ones I highly recommend, though the others, especially the solo songs are growing on me with every listen. Definitely add this to your collection.

Gummy – Vol. 4 - Comfort

2chs4mt.jpg

01 Intro (Work It Now) (Feat. G-Dragon)

02 Clap Your Hands (Feat. T.O.P)

03 I’m Sorry (Feat. T.O.P)

04 Don’t Love

05 After Looking Into the Mirror (Feat. Red Roc)

06 Let’s Get It Party (Feat. 45rpm)

07 Last Party

08 Sting

09 Hoping It’s Not a Breakup

10 I’m Gonna Miss U (W.Ji Eun)

11 Up to Here (Feat. Skull)

12 Hallucination

13 Before the Music Ends

14 I’m Sorry (Hare Trance Remix)

Gummy, one of Korea’s renowned divas, has finally returned to the music scene three years later with her fourth studio album, Comfort. She has gained much popularity and success since her debut and this time it is no different. In this album, Gummy took the challenge of experimenting with various genres such as electronica, dance, and reggae, while continuing to show off her R&B and ballad skills.

The title track of this album is an electronica dance number, “I’m Sorry”, which features Big Bang member TOP. This song is very different from Gummy's usual R&B title tracks such as the now famous “Amnesia”. However this is a good change as it still showcases Gummy’s vocals, which continuously haunt listeners as she repeats the phrase “I’m sorry” throughout the song. The mellow melody definitely grows on you and TOP’s rap only spices up the track. There is also a remix version of this song for those who enjoy trance.

I could easily recommend every track in the album (as all the songs are rated between 3-5 stars on my itunes), but there are a couple that definitely stand out from the rest. Fans of upbeat songs that showcase Gummy's vocals would enjoy “Last Party”. Right from the start, Gummy’s strong vocals can be heard and to make things even better, in the middle of the song, fans can hear her rap. Those who listen to Masta Wu would notice right away that the rap lyrics are the same from his own song, “Cry”. Another track I would recommend would be track 9, “Hoping It’s Not a Breakup”, which is very reminiscent of Gummy’s other ballads. The song is very touching especially during the chorus parts. Two other tracks I would recommend are “I’m Gonna Miss U”, which is a duet track with Ji Eun, and “Hallucination” which sampled parts of Leon Ware’s song, “Where Are They Now”. Both are tracks of a slower tempo and are very soothing to the ears, especially the later track.

To wrap things up, I would like to conclude by saying that Gummy’s album was definitely up to my expectations. With songs of various genres, I’m sure there’s a song for everyone’s tastes. In addition, Gummy partook in composing two songs (After Looking Into the Mirror (Feat. Red Roc) and Hallucination), which is a definite plus. I recommend everyone who isn't yet a fan of Gummy to give her songs a chance; you won’t regret it!

5/5

CSJH the Grace - One More Time, Ok?

3a0adee58733a0366e197c48fc3958de_raw.jpg

Purcase this album here.

Tracklist

01. 한번 더, OK?

One More Time, Ok?

02. 女友 (그녀들의 수다)

Girlfriends. (Promoted as Their Talks)

03. 女友 Interlude

04. Sweet Emotion

05. 그 사람... 욕하지 마요

That person ... Don't curse him (Promoted as Heartbreak)

06. RENEW

07. 4월의 첫 날 (April Fools' Day)

08. Dancer In The Rain

09. 아니기를 (Not To Be)

10. 하루만 (Just For One Day) Feat. Super Junior's Kyuhyun

11. Tonight Is On Me

12. Dancing Queen

13. 열정 (My Everything)

14. Boomerang

15. The Club Feat. RAIN 비

After a long day, trying to study, I stumbled into this thread and thought why not pen down something?

Hence, I am here now, penning down an album review, trying to stay away from all biasness as I could, trying to be as fair as I can while doing this.

The album started of with their title track, One More Time, Ok? What is it that I can say about this track? It is a pretty catch song with strong vocals and well, a good song to be placed as the beginning of a journey of listening to their album. Despite that it had been a good dance track, or more professionally labeled as SMP, a genre of song that well produced by SM company under the heavy influence of dancing and strong vocals, I found it typically RisingSun-ish, and GirlOnTop-ish. So, I wasn't surprised when I found out that the composer of these three songs is the same. (There might be a bit inaccuracy here. The writer sincerely wants to apologise for the small defect.) Well, this is a good song nevertheless.

As the first few minutes finished as I was listening to the album, I was pleasantly surprised when their second song, Girlfriends started hitting my eardrums. Well, I love the light-heartiness embedded in this song and well, it sounded like a cute song. I was very curious of the lyrics too, and searched for it. I think of all the songs in the album, I found this song one of the best. I can't say much or can't even point out the defect in the vocals in this song. I love the meaning behind it and well, the interlude which followed up, was well enough to leave me awed.

Sweet Emotions, was a break from fast pacing and strong vocals for me. I am glad that they placed it after two strong songs and well, it is soothing to the ear. I could tell that it is a sad ballad but for me, it didn't make as much impact as the upcoming song. Sweet Emotions totally portrayed their individual vocal difference, as in who has the soprano and who had the contralto in the group. Well, a good track but definitely not my favourite.

I love That Person ... Don't Curse Him.

I love the melancholy that hit me once I heard the beginning of the song. It appeared to me as a song that brought forward regret and the emotions that the song had managed to bring forward was strong enough for me to once again launch a search for their lyrics. Do visit this site for the lyrics, (translated one, of course. ^^). I found it one of the best tracks in it.

RENEW, like its title, brought a refreshing feeling after a melanchony song. I like the combination of vocals in it. Once again, a highly impressive song. The feeling of being refreshed by their vocals was there everytime it was played but alas, it seemed to be a song that could be easily found as annoying especially with a dangerous soprano in the chorus. ^^

No offense to the fan.

April's Fool Day, was well, aimed with gentleness calmed down the roaring feeling after RENEW. There is something that I would always credit CSJH the Grace and that would be the harmony when they sing together. All four members sound the best when they are singing together and it could be heard in the chorus. Enough said about this song but I will say it is an expected song from them, a bit redundant on the side but still amazingly strong vocally.

Maybe it is a silly thought of mine but mostly albums nowadays, could be divided into two kinds:

A) Albums with vocally talented singers but the tune of the song was pretty boring. If I were to take the voices out, the tune will be boring.

B) Albums with less talented singers but with a catchy tune.

I am not sure which one floats to my boat, but I am pretty sure that CSJH the Grace belongs to the former group, and that my dear readers, is a credit.

Dancer in The Rain is one of the songs in this album that I will labeled as catchy and yet, with a good support of vocals. It wasn't surprising to me as they choose this song as the featured song in their second MV of this album. However, as a listener, I am more interested in a non-existent Girlfriend MV.

Not to Be, do refer to what I had stated for April's Fool Day.

Finally, a duet, Just For One Day, feat KyuHyun of Super Junior started with a strong male voice and then, our four girls' voice being slowly drawn onto the picture. Sunday went first and I frankly admit this is the first time, I heard her voice alone. I like it, though I am not sure that it is her full potential. Surprisingly, as the song reached it's climax, I am a bit glad that KyuHyun's voice was there to smoothen the once again high soprano tone there. This song was reused in their japanese album with the feature of Kim Jae Joong of DBSK. No comment on which is a better version but I think it would be a good song that if, well, they have just a simple duet between a CSJH member and KyuHyun. I would pick Lina. ^^

Tonight is On Me is a good song. This time, I love the chorus. I think it is a placed rather well too. Maybe I should have say how the theme of the songs before was almost the same and this song, a bit edgy and a bit more with personality captured my losing attention. I love the high pitching done by Stephanie and Lina.

Dancing Queen, originally sang by the Alba is sung in acapella by the girls. Their harmony was good and their English was fantastic too which is a major brownie points for this song.

My Everything, was and will always be a big NO NO for me. If I were to placed the songs in this album in ranking from the blessed ones to the hated one, this will be the last one on the list. I had absolutely no feeling, not even a slight inclination of loving this song. Yes, it might be a bit odd but, there is something about how the vocals here that was seemed to be suppressed and the bland tune that can't carry the song across. When the song reached the chorus, a powerful soprano voice totally made it a bit rough for me.

Boomerang and The Club are two fantastic SMP songs. Of these two fast pacing songs, I like The Club more as it seemed to be a bit more sophisticated than Boomerang. Vocal wise and the degree of it being catchy, are similar.

Side note : I might had been a bit harsh on reviewing the album, but I definitely would rate it high enough. Overall, I love the arrangement of the tracklist. I love the vocals in the album and it is the songs that I found fault in. The girls as their name are really vocally talented. This is one of the albums which I can certainly said, had a mixture of talents and catchy-ness. An all rounded album.

I highly recommend, their 2nd track, Girlfriends, and the fifth one - That person .. Don't curse him.

I would rate 5/5

Shinhwa - Shinhwa 9th

p1010819826.jpg

Track list:

01 . Last Train Home

02 . Voyage

03 . 다시 한번만

04 . Free Style #1

05 . Run

06 . 2 Ma Luv...

07 . We Can Get In On

08 . So In Love

09 . 기억나니?

10 . 아직 못 다한 이야기

Purchase this album

Released on April 3 this year, this is the 9th album from Shinhwa in their long history together, and one that fans have been waiting for eagerly. In the last ten years their music and personalities have become more distinct and, in the three albums produced since leaving SM Entertainment, their music has gone through a few changes. In the last few years, Shinhwa have been a group that advocate the ‘together but apart’ scenario, with their individual activities taking precedence over those of Shinhwa as a group. This scenario seems to be reflected in the album which, at first impression, lacked cohesion and didn’t flow easily as from one track to the next.

The intro track 'Last Train Home' leads perfectly into ‘Voyage’ - both were written by VINK, who was responsible for ‘Return’ by MC the Max and who also had a duet in the project album "After...break-up" with Shim Eun Jin of Baby Vox. It is an easy song to listen to and is uplifting in tone, one you feel there is a story behind. Hyesung handles the baritone range far better than in 첫 사람 (First Person) on his second solo.

The third song, 다시 한번만 (Just One More Time), composed by Wanted's Kim Jae Suk, is probably the one most familiar due to its release well before the album. It’s a lovely ballad full of sentiment and well-harmonised vocals, a contrast to the following track, which is Eric’s 'Freestyle Interlude'. The latter jars a little on the ear, but serves the purpose of heralding a change in pace.

'Run', the 5th track of the album and the one used for the MV, is distinctively Minwoo’s composition. It feels more western and introduces a very different sound compared to Shinhwa’s previous albums. Lyrics and arrangement were also by Minwoo, and the track is fast-paced with a heavy base-line. It’s easy to imagine the live dance routine that would accompany it.

Like 'Freestyle', ‘We Can Get It On’ was composed and arranged by Eric, with the lyrics composed by him and David Kim. It’s a very club-like number and my least favourite track in the album, simply because the constant repetition of ‘We can get it on’ is very irritating after a few listens and the choice of words cliché. The song does have some interesting beats, however, and it’s good to hear Hyesung sing something other than a ballad. I am sure, though, that there is a background vocal that is a touch too similar to Salt ‘n Pepa’s track ‘Whatta man’ from the ‘90s.

The last and final track in the album is one of the strongest - 아직 못 다한 이야기 (The Stories We Haven't Told). An acoustic track with a simple guitar arrangement, it is a conversation between the members in melody and rap, a reminiscence of the last ten years as a group and perhaps a promise to continue after their military service is over.

Barely a half-hour long and with three interludes, it feels disappointingly short, but it is an album that is better appreciated after several listens rather than just a cursory play-through. When looking at the translated lyrics though, the album has a deeper meaning, a summation of the last ten years and a way of looking forward to all that will come. It’s an album that was designed more for fans as a gift, especially the talk track, which reminds those who listen the friendship between these six men.

Whilst this might not be an album that helps Shinhwa attract new fans, one thing is for sure – this album throws away any idea that they are still a boy-band and confirms their status now as a six man R&B group. Currently topping the album charts and selling over 100,000 copies with barely any promotion, the statistics testify to the support it and Shinhwa are receiving.

Guest Hitorijime

H-Eugene (H-유진) - Vol. 2 "H-Eugene And The Family"

p1010678323zr3.jpg

01 Welcome Back

02 He’s a Stranger feat. Shinji of Koyote

03 Kiss Me feat. Bae Seul Gi

04 As Many as There Are Tears feat. Young Ji

05 Shorty feat. Teddy of 1TYM, Master Wu, Park Jang Geun

06 I’m Waiting feat. Oh Jong Hyuk, Hoo Ni Hoon

07 My L.U.V

08 I Don’t Know feat. Miryo of Brown Eyed Girls

09 H-Eugene VS MC Mong feat. MC Mong

10 Maverick Part 2 feat. Yoo Seung Joon, Han Esther

11 Kiss Me (Instrumental)

12 He’s a Stranger (Instrumental)

Purchase this album

H-Eugene has gone through a lot during his time in the music industry. Discovered at the age of 17, he became a rapper/dancer for the popular Yoo Seung Jun until the latter was exiled from Korea. From there, he turned to MC Mong until 2006, when he finally had a chance to release his debut album. Even with all the controversy of having Yoo Seung Jun as a guest artiste, he was able to release his sophomore album, H-Eugene & The Family. H-Eugene & The Family is a light-hearted rap album that offers a variety of styles. The album also includes several well-known artistes such as Bae Seul Gi, Yoo Seung Jun, MC Mong and H-Eugene's well-known friend, Teddy from 1TYM.

Kiss Me (feat. Bae Seul Gi) is definitely not a song someone would expect to be on a rap album. It's a cheerful and upbeat pop song with a gentle and light arrangement. The song has little trace of hip-hop and the majority of the song is made up of contemporary instruments like the piano and guitar, with a few synths every once in a while. A brass section is also heard in the background, providing a interesting twist. Vocally, the song isn't very heavy in the sense that the background vocals are quite subtle. Bae Seul Gi doesn't have an amazing voice, but she seems to fit perfectly with this song. H-Eugene's rapping blends in surprisingly well and doesn't clash that much with Bae Seul Gi's vocals. Overall, a very enjoyable pop track that works well with Kpop lovers.

Though the title track is a happy pop song, those who are trying to find pounding beats should not turn away. The album includes quite a few heavier-sounding hip-hop songs. Shorty (track 5) is an example of this and features some of the best rappers in the Korean music industry today. Each voice complements each other nicely, though they all retain their individuality. The song is a strikingly catchy hip-hop track that incorporates a powerful beat. The majority of the song also has a very computerized feel to it, which adds a modern twist. Similar songs include track 9 and 10. For those who enjoyed Kiss Me, there are still quite a few pop sounding tracks in the album. Namirago (track 2) is a beautiful ballad that seems to have similar qualities to other Kpop ballads that have been popular in recent years. The song has a sadness about it that works well with Shin Ji's vocals, while still retaining a certain uplifting feel. H-Eugene sounds out of place a few times, but much like Kiss Me, he seems to have found a way to work with the song. The song itself has a gorgeous arrangement that includes a haunting acoustic guitar.

Overall, this is quite an album. One might find the album bland at first, but if given the time, it has its rewards. Each song is unique and each artiste that was brought into this album gave a different edge to it. The only problem, however, is the fact that the album sounds more like a collaboration than H-Eugene's second album. H-Eugene definitely gets to show off his style, but each song feels as though it could be taken from the albums that the featured artistes released. However, it's a good album altogether and should not be missed if you enjoy the mix of styles.

4/5

First time I reviewed a hip-hop album. :)

PDIS (project album) - PDIS

PDIS.jpg

Purchase this album

1. Intro (In To The Story 2008)

2. Drag (Feat. May Doni, Lee Han)

3. Pride (Feat. Tiger JK, May Doni)

4. I Love You (Feat. Joo Hyun Mi)

5. Queen Of Charisma (Feat. Um Jung Hwa)

6. You

7. Woman On The Beach (Feat. Lee Jae Hoon, Yuri, Kim Gun Mo, DK4RG)

8. Love For All (Feat. Jung Joon Ha)

9. Hold The Line 08’ Remix (Feat. Brown Eyed Girls)

10. Free Music (Feat. Brown Eyed Girls)

11. Sweet Potato

12. Outro (Hold The PDIS)

13. Drag (Bonus Track) (Original Mix)

Quoted from the album cover: "P is producer D is director I is instructor S is supervisor.

That is a very good description when two talented musicians team up on this project album. PD is Cho PD, a well-respected rapper. IS is Yoon Il Sang, a well-known producer and songwriter. Together they collaborate on this special album with the help of many artistes.

Before this album was released, a digital single "I Love You" (track 4) was first released back in January. This song is perhaps a first in Korea - mixing modern hip-hop with traditional trot music. Joo Hyun Mi, one of the most famous female trot singers in Korea, was the guest vocalist for this song. Her vocal, plus Cho PD's fluent rapping, make it a very unique song. Joo Hyun Mi even performed with PDIS live on Yoon Do Hyun's Love Letter programme. (watch here).

The real title song of this album is Drag (track 2). PDIS introduced new singer May Doni, who used to be trained under YG Entertainment. Unlike "I Love You", "Drag" is of the electronic and house genre, which is a far more familiar type of music that Yoo Il Sang is writing. This song is really a coming-out party for May Doni as she stole the spotlight. Her powerful vocal and dance moves showed viewers that she's one of the next generation of up-and-coming k-pop female singers.

Hold The Line 08 Remix (track 9) is probably a song that most people have heard of. It was one of the first Brown Eye Girls hit songs, written by Yoon Il Sang and rap by Cho PD. It was after the success of this song that Cho PD and Yoon Il Sang wanted to do a full album of crossover concepts together. Now this song is being remixed by Yoon Il Sang again for this album.

Many other tracks in this album are worth noticing. "Queen of Charisma" (track 5) features the real queen of charisma, Uhm Jung Hwa. It is an up-tempo song which reminds us of many of Uhm Jung Hwa's hits. Melody-wise, "You" (track 6) is the song I like most. This is one of only two songs in this album in which no other artistes are being featured. "Woman On The Beach" has a good summer feel. Why? Because ex-Cool members Lee Jae Hoon and Yuri were being featured, along with Kim Gun Mo, and DK4RG.

Since this is a project album, artistes are usually more liberal in trying different kinds of music. As with the case here, PDIS is mixing different genres such as electronic, house, and hip-hop flavors. The songs are not considered very commercial, yet they are mainstream enough to attract many listeners. I'd say even if you are not a fan, you should give this album a try.

5/5

• 4 weeks later...
Guest natural-retard

BellaMafia - Overstep

img55513990zp6.jpg

01. BellaMafia

02. 꺼져버려

03. 소리없이

04. 널 기도해

05. BellaMafia (Band ver.)

06. 소리없이 (Piano ver.)

BellaMafia is a four member female group, consisting of leading and drummer Kim Soo Jin, vocalist Hyun Jooni, guitarist Song Eun Wha and bassist Lee Won Young. Don't be fooled and think that they are just another new really young group as they have an average age of 24.5. The group's style is pretty much pop/rock, but i'm afraid i really don't know much about this group which is unfortunate, though i happened to stumble upon some information on them on yesasia. Through that i found out that they were discovered by the drummer of Jaurim, Goo Tae Hoon at one of BellaMafia's street performances during the 2004 World Cup.

If i'm correct then this is the repackaged version of the first single (which was released earlier this year), with an extra song (track 5 is the extra song which is the title track).

BellaMafia (band version) is the catchy title track, it uses the song 'Axel F' (some of you guys may recognise this from the Crazy Frog song) in the background, it does enhance the track, giving it a club anthem feel. The video for this track gives off a very European feel, i don't think i've seen a video like from a korean artist (then again i've not seen every single video there is). I feel it is a good choice for a title track, a track that will make you move but don't be fooled and think that this is the type of music that they do.

My fav track however is track 6 소리없이 (Without a Sound) the piano version, i chose this becasue it really shows off the Hyun Jooni's voice, its not a track where a singer shows off their vocal range hitting every type of note. Hyun Jooni's voice 'feels' emotional, i don't understand korean but i feel the song if that makes any sense. The originally version is very very good as well! Just love the drums and guitar beats.

If you search on youtube you can find the video to BellaMafia and i think two live perfomances. One of the live performances they perform part of G.O.D's 어머님께 (To Mother) and their own song 꺼져버려 (Beat It). They really are good live!!! Hyun Jooni can rap really well as well!

So go and listen to this single! I highly recommend it!!

Rating: 5/5 Its GREAT!

Ratings Breakdown:

Tony An special album – Look Blank

153041.jpg

01 Wallet

02 Absentmindedly

03 I Thank Even Loneliness

04 Wallet (Saxophone Version)

05 Wallet (Inst.)

Purchase this album

Whether in H.O.T, JTL, or going solo, Tony An has found success. This year, Tony has released another mini-album "Look Blank". This mini-album is more ballad-oriented as compared to his previous mini-album last year that generated the hit song "Melody". Looks like mini-albums are going to be the trend in Korea. While a lot of singers have switched to digital singles, a mini-album offers fans something they can physically own, at a lower price. It also lets us album reviewers produce faster output as we have to listen to fewer songs. :lol:

We don't hear Tony singing ballads too often, but this time he has pulled it off nicely. The title song "Wallet" is a listener-friendly sad ballad with a nice piano arrangement. We can hear Tony's sad and emotional vocal expressing well the lyrics of this song. Track 4 is the same song with a saxophone arrangement, adding a jazz feel, while track 5 is the instrumental of the title song. Track 2 "Absentmindedly" is another good ballad in which Tony wrote the lyrics himself. Track 3 "I Thank Even Loneliness" is the most "up-tempo" song of the mini-album, but it is still considered a ballad. It is written by a foreign songwriter.

Despite Tony's popularity, this mini-album went by mostly unnoticed. Maybe it is due to Tony not coming out to perform, thus affecting the popularity. Still, for fans of Tony, this album is a must-own. For fans who like ballads, you may consider adding this to your CD collection too.

4/5

Guest dihei

ALEX - MY VINTAGE ROMANCE

MyVintageRomance.jpg

01 어느새 Eoneusae (Soon)

02 그대라면 Geudaeramyeon (If It's You)

03 넌 언제나 (feat. Thomas Cook) Neon Eonjena (It's Always You)

04 기다리게 해서 미안해요 (Sorry Because you had to wait)

05 발끝을 적시는 눈물 Balkkeuneul Jeokshineun nunmeul (Tears that wet the tip of my toes)

06 Feel Like Making Sunshine

07 깍지껴요 (feat. Gaeko from Dynamic Duo) Kkakjikkyeoyo (Empty shell ____)

08 Waltz lesson (feat. whale)

09 연인 Yeonin (Lover)

10 사랑하오 Saranghao (I love you)

11 기분 좋은 날 Gibun Joeun Nal (A Good Day)

12 Daydreaming

13 Miss. Understand (feat. Simon Dominic)

14 데이지 Deiji (Daisy)

15 화분 (Bonus track)

Purchase this album

Known for his romantic, velvety and sexy voice, Alex of Clazziquai has just released his very first solo effort titled "My Vintage Romance". Befitting his romantic image, this album consists mainly of love ballads that are interspersed with songs from a variety of musical genres such as soul, R & B, rap, modern rock and jazz. The album features various collaborations with groups like Loveholic, W, My Aunt Mary and Dynamic Duo.

01 어느새 Eoneusae (Soon) [5 stars]

I absolutely love this track. It’s actually my favourite track in the album. Definitely a fitting opening song for the album. I love how the song begins with Alex’s vocals and accompanied by just the guitar in the background. I love how the various musical instruments mesh together to create that beautiful and harmonious acoustic sound. What really stands out here is Alex’s vocal performance which is raw, pure and crisp as he sings this song with such aplomb. Definitely pure vintage Alex here!

02 그대라면 Geudaeramyeon (If It's You) [5 stars]

This is the title song of the album. When i first listen to this song, it seems to lack the rawness and ‘oomph’ of Track 1. But, when I close my eyes and listen to it a second time, I finally understand why it has been chosen as the title song of the album. It’s one of those songs that grows on you as you listen to it more and more. Alex really pours his heart and soul into singing this song. It is so rich in feeling and emotions that it just makes me want to fall in love over and over again.

03 넌 언제나 (feat. Thomas Cook) Neon Eonjena (It's Always You) [5 stars]

Wow, another favourite of mine. I guess this is what they call ‘modern rock’. When I first heard it, it absolutely blew me away. I’m assuming Thomas Cook plays the guitar and sings the back-up here because his vocal part is really minimal towards the end of the song. It’s absolutely catchy and refreshing, one of those songs that I would like to sing along to even though the lyrics are Greek to me. I wish there were more tracks like this one in the album but sadly, there are none.

04 기다리게 해서 미안해요 (Sorry Because you had to wait) [3 stars]

Aawww, anyone who's a fan of "AlShin" in the Korean variety show called 'We Got Married' would have been able to identify with this song. Btw, to all the “AlShin” fans out there, Alex wraps up this song with the two magic words ‘LOVE YOU’. Oolala!

05 발끝을 적시는 눈물 Balkkeuneul Jeokshineun nunmeul (Tears that wet the tip of my toes) [4 stars]

Definitely the track with the most creative title. Another lovely ballad from Alex that is sung straight from the heart. Man, he sure knows how to touch our hearts with his soft, velvety and romantic voice. Gives me the feeling that he’s singing this song just for me. Absolutely awesome.

06 Feel Like Making Sunshine [4 stars]

Another up-tempo, upbeat and catchy song that makes me tap my feet, drum my fingers and sway my head left and right as I listen to it. It’s absolutely light, breezy and sunny. This one really makes me light-headed and happy. Check out the English lyrics in the chorus – feel like making love songs for you; one for me; one for you; one for all of us – Aawww!

07 깍지껴요 (feat. Gaeko from Dynamic Duo) Kkakjikkyeoyo (Empty shell ____) [4 stars]

One of two R&B/rap-influenced songs in the album. Very soulful and funky. I can’t help but snap my fingers and move my body as I listen to it. I think Alex did really well here although I think he’s more of a pop ballad singer rather than an R&B one. Love his falsetto here as well. As for the repetitive ‘Come with me’ in the background, you will either love it or hate it.

08 Waltz lesson (feat. whale) [3 stars]

This song is really easy on the ear. Makes you feel like dancing the waltz with your beloved while listening to it. It also has a really playful feel coupled with a tinge of childishness and innocence. Alex sounds like a little boy taking his first lesson in waltz. I love the part where Alex lets out an amusing laugh before launching into his trademark falsetto tone. Don’t know why they bother featuring Whale in this though – her part is really negligible.

09 연인 Yeonin (Lover) [3 stars]

A typical run-of-the-mill love ballad. My least favourite track on the album. It really is a bit too slow and dull for me. Alex's vocal performance here is just so-so for me.

10 사랑하오 Saranghao (I love you) [3 stars]

Another typical run-of-the-mill love ballad. However, if you’re in love and would like to spend a quiet, romantic evening with your beloved, then this is the song for you. Vocal wise, Alex does pack dollops of sweet, saccharine love and longing for that special someone as he sings this.

11 기분 좋은 날 Gibun Joeun Nal (A Good Day) [5 stars]

Whhooaaa, now we’re talking. Was almost falling asleep after Track 10. I absolutely adore this track. It is just so cute, like Alex himself. If there’s one song that represents who or what he is, then this must be IT. It’s cute, cheerful and playful … I think you pretty much get the idea. I love the part where he whistles as well.

12 Daydreaming [3 stars]

A soft jazzy tune, another refreshing change in an album dominated by love ballads. I love the piano that accompanies Alex’s singing here. Vocal-wise, I would say that Alex’s voice is just too soft for him to pass off as a jazz singer. Definitely not his genre.

13 Miss. Understand (feat. Simon Dominic) [4 stars]

The other R&B/rap-influenced song in the album. Not as funky and upbeat as Track 7, but definitely more soulful. Absolutely have no idea what Simon Dominic is rapping about but I think he sounds better than Gaeko from Dynamic Duo. The surprising part is how well the rapping blends in with the melody of this song.

14 데이지 Deiji (Daisy) [5 stars]

Other than Track 1, this is my other favourite love ballad in the album. I love how the momentum of this song is built up as it goes along and how the various instruments come together to create that beautiful and mesmerizing melody. There's so much feeling and emotions in this song. Another song that you can appreciate better if you were to listen to it with your eyes closed and imagine that Alex is singing it just for you. Definitely a fitting finale to an album that begins on a slow, acoustic manner and ends on a rich, orchestral note.

15 화분 Flowerpot (Bonus track) [6 stars]

Aawww, what more can I say about this song that hasn’t been said already. A classic rendition by Alex in that rich, velvety and emotional voice of his. All that love and longing come across so beautifully in a heartfelt manner. I tell ya, I just can’t get enough of this song even though I’ve been playing it to death ever since I first heard it on ‘We Got Married’.

Overall, if you're looking for an easy-listening and romantic album in various genres to spice up the night with your beloved, then this is the one for you.

OVERALL RATINGS : 4/5. I would have rated it 5/5 if the title song had more of a ‘wow’ factor in it. I don’t know if the title song of an album should be something that grows on you rather than one that hits you with a ‘wham, bang and slam’ effect. I just feel that Track 1 or Track 14 would be a better title song for this album.

Er, I don't know if this is good enough to be added to soompi's main site but, if you think so, then by all means! If not, it's ok by me too. :)

I Like It Hot (Hellcats) OST

15ogu4w.jpg

01 Warming Up – Kim Sang Hoon

02 R.P.G (Rocket Punch Generation) - Whale

03 Cappuccino, No Sugar and Lots of Foam – Han Jae Won

04 Shocking Pink Rose (So Long DJ Kan-G Mix) – W/DJ Kan-G/Whale

05 I’ll Remember – Bae Young Joon, Han Jae Won

06 Come Back Kim Hung Soo

07 Amore E Del Corazon Garota - Kim Sang Hoon

08 Life is Like This – Han Jae Won, Bae Young Joon

09 Most Comforting Romance – Lee Seung Yul

10 Because I’m Precious Kim Sang Hoon

11 Love is Like This – Han Jae Won, Bae Young Joon

12 A Cartoonist’s Deep Thinking Cat (Fish Bone Mix) - W

13 Walk Don’t Run – Bae Young Joon

14 Come Back (Law Like Sushi Mix) - W

15 I’ll Remember – W/Whale

There was much commotion about the release of the movie, I Like It Hot (Hellcats), particularly among Wonder Girls fans, as Korea’s little sister, Ahn So Hee, was cast as one of the three protagonists of the film. The original soundtrack for this movie was also released at the beginning of the year, with music produced by fusion electronica band, W.

The title track of the album is R.P.G (Rocket Punch Generation), which is sung by Whale. The song starts off with bouncy beats which lead to Whale’s soothing vocals. The song seems very Americanized, something that would come out of an American chick flick. I personally enjoyed this track and it was the one song that remained playing in my head after watching the movie.

The first song I want to recommend is track 4, Shocking Pink Rose (So Long DJ Kan-G Mix). The soothing vocals along with catchy beats would definitely attract listeners. Another song worth mentioning would be track 6, Come Back to Me, sung by actor Kim Hung Soo himself. Kim had played the role of a guy wanting to find a career through his guitar playing and singing, and this song definitely relives this character. The guitar instrumentals and husky vocals are worth listening. The rest of the songs were either memorable dialogue taken from the movie or instrumentals. Two instrumentals I particularly enjoyed were track 10, Because I’m Precious and track 11, Love is Like This. The guitar and other instrumentals are very relaxing and pleasing to the ear.

In conclusion, I felt that the soundtrack helped bring out the movie’s dramatic points through the use of instrumentals and vocalization, as well as dialogue. However, I felt that overall, there weren’t enough memorable tracks that would have persuaded me into purchasing the album.

3/5

1/5 - You might as well just flush your money down the toilet

CSJH The Grace The First Album-한번 더, OK?

csjh.jpg

01. 한번 더, OK?

02. 女友 (그녀들의 수다)

03. 女友 Interlude

04. Sweet Emotion

05. 그 사람... 욕하지 마요

06. RENEW

07. 4월의 첫 날 (April Fools' Day)

08. Dancer In The Rain

09. 아니기를 (Not To Be)

10. 하루만 (Just For One Day) Feat. Super Junior's Kyuhyun

11. Tonight Is On Me

12. Dancing Queen

13. 열정 (My Everything)

14. Boomerang

15. The Club Feat. RAIN 비

CSJH The Grace debuted in 2005, but their first album came out only in 2007, which was a long wait for many of their fans. Made up of four beautiful ladies, CSJH have a lot of talent when it comes to singing or dancing. The album includes their past singles [except for Too Good] and 9 new tracks.

The title song from this album, 'One More Time, Ok?' is a pop dance track which showcases their powerful vocals and has a very catchy chorus that gets you to sing along with it. I'm a little disappointed with the lyrics which, to me, don't have much meaning and relativity to the title track. Track 2, 'Girlfriend', is one of my favourites from this album. It is basically about the normal conversations between girls on the topic of love.The four girls once again showed off their powerful vocals, especially Lina and Dana [lead singers from the group], who had many strong adlibs at the end of the song. A sweet song that will tend to lift one's mood.

Other songs that I recommend are 'My Everything', a very addictive ballad, and track 5 그 사람... 욕하지 마요 (Heartbreak), also a very sad ballad. 'Dancer In The Rain' has a rather fast tempo and it gives me goosebumps whenever I listen to this song. Boomerang and 4월의 첫 날 (April Fools' Day) are also worth a listen.

Fans of CSJH The Grace should definitely get this album because not only is it a good one, it is also their first full-length album. If you have been tracking this group for a long time, you should get this album too.

Rating:4.5/5

i dont mind if this is posted at the main site of soompi.

Various Artists – Soul Romance into the Rainbow

2i74bgw.jpg

01 This Winter – Brown Eyed Girls (Miryo & Narsha)

02 Couple – Son Dambi & J. Walk

03 Irrelevant Imagination – 8Eight

04 Living Life Forgetting

05 Lust – Yoon Hee Joong feat. Moon Myung Jin

06 Hypnosis – As One

07 100 Days – Jung Yun Joon

08 What a Wonderful World – JK Kim Dong Wook

Last winter, another volume of the Rainbow album series was released; this one is titled, “Soul Romance into the Rainbow.” Unlike previous albums, specific artistes were picked to sing the songs, which were meant to be heard during the winter season. Many senior artistes as well as newly popular singers were chosen to participate in the album - names included the Brown Eyed Girls, J. Walk, Son Dambi, 8eight, and As One. A mixture of new songs as well as remakes is included in this series. These songs range from pop, R&B, ballads, to popera.

The title songs which were used to promote the album were “This Winter” sung by Miryo and Narsha of Brown Eyed Girls, and “Couple” sung by Son Dambi and J.Walk. The girls sang “This Winter”, which was originally sung by Diva well. The instruments used in the background definitely brought out the winter feel and the upbeat beats and Miryo’s rapping skills make it easy for listeners to be in tune with the song. “Couple” was originally sung by Seckies, but J.Walk and Son Dambi did a fine job with their rendition. Dambi’s vocalization enhances the song and I feel the fans of Dambi and J.Walk won’t be disappointed.

Other songs worth mentioning are 8eight’s “Irrelevant Imagination,” “Lust,” by Yoon Hee Joong and JK Kim Dong Wook’s “What a Wonderful World.” Fans of Shinhwa’s Andy are probably familiar with the song “Irrelevant Imagination”, which was originally sung by Jinu. I personally enjoyed 8eight’s rendition as their vocals were much stronger and more energetic. The feel of the song is also very wintery, perfect for the winter season. “Lust” by Yoon Hee Joong is an R&B track with rap. From the beginning of the song, the fast beats and the vocals caught my attention rightaway. I feel that listeners would especially enjoy this track. The last track I would like to recommend is “What a Wonderful World”, sung by JK Kim Dong Wook. Everyone should be familiar with this song, originally performed by Louis Armstrong. I felt that JK did a pretty great job himself with this song, and I hope people would give his rendition a chance.

Overall, I feel that this compilation album did a great job bringing out the wintery mood, which was its objective. The choice of singers and songs were also smart as people unfamiliar with the older songs were able to hear them through their favorite singers. The only problem I had with this album was that there were only eight tracks, not enough for an album.

3/5

Shin Hye Sung & Lyn – He Said She Said

11rrlg7.jpg

01 It Was You

02 That Man’s Story (He Said…)

03 Echo

04 That Woman’s Story (She Said…)

05 My Man

06 WISH

07 Even If It’s Erased

08 Greet (Hyesung’s Version)

09 Already Know Everything (Lyn ver.)

10 It Was You (Inst.)

It’s been about a year since Shin Hye Sung and Lyn’s first duet collaboration with the song, “Love…After.” With their talent and charisma, the two renowned artistes were able to gain even more recognition with the track. This year, the duo has released a full ten-track album titled “He Said She Said”, which includes not only a second duet track but their own songs and remakes.

The title track of the album, “It Was You”, is a duet by the two artistes. This ballad is very smooth and relaxing from the beginning as they croon love messages to each other. Their harmonization skills are great and match well with the background instrumentals. Though I feel that this song fails to beat “Love…After”, listeners should still give this song a chance.

As fans of both Shin Hyesung and Lyn, I felt that they did justice to their own solo tracks in the album. Track 3 (Echo) and track 5 (My Man) are of the same melody; the difference being that the songs are arranged a bit differently and that the first track is sung by Shin and the latter by Lyn. In addition, the two singers wrote the lyrics to their respective versions. Both versions are worth listening; Shin’s being a bit more to the ballad side and Lyn’s being on the R&B side. Being an R&B fan, I personally enjoyed Lyn’s version more (and it is also my favorite track of the album).

Tracks 6 and 7 are the artistes’ respective solo tracks and I enjoyed “Even If It’s Erased”, which is another R&B track by Lyn. The instrumentals are very catchy and the chorus of the song is also very pleasing to the ear. Tracks 8 and 9 are remakes of each other's songs. “Greet” is originally a song by Lyn from her sophomore album and “Already Know Everything” is from Shin’s second album as well. I feel that both artistes did justice to each other’s tracks.

In conclusion, I feel that Shin Hye Sung and Lyn did a great job collaborating and performing their own respective tracks. It may have been better if there were more duets but covering each other’s songs was pretty creative as well. I feel that ballad and R&B fans will be interested in this album and vocalization is not a problem, since both artistes know how to make music.

4.5/5

Guest Hitorijime

Jang Ri In / Zhang Li Yin (장리인 / 張力尹) - Star Wish (I WILL)

lp1010710907wl8.jpg

1. Intro

2. First Love

3. A Flame for You

4. Star Wish (I WILL)

5. The Left Shore of Happiness

6. After

7. Wrongly Given Love (feat. Kim Jong Hyun)

8. Believe in Love

9. Perfect Love (feat. Song Bing Yang)

10. One More Try

11. Y (Why...)

12. Timeless

13. I WILL (Korean)

14. Lovers (Korean)

Jang Ri In has sparked interest ever since her debut in late 2006. Timeless, her first single, turned out to be a decent hit. Unfortunately after that, it seemed that nothing big would come anytime soon from the singer except for songs in the annual SMTown albums. Finally, in February 2008, fans became excited with the March release of her first album. Star Wish (I WILL) is Ri In's debut album and for those expecting some Kpop, you might surprised to hear that the album is sung in Mandarin, except for the bonus tracks. Those who are looking for ballads, you've come to the right place.

The title track, Star Wish (I WILL), is definitely the strongest song in the album. It's a ballad that does Ri In's vocals justice. Unlike the promotional tracks in her Timeless single, Ri In sounds far more comfortable and her vocals are extended to the maximum. She sings with a sincere grace and is able to control her voice quite well. The arrangement is quite gorgeous in the sense that it remains quite calm even as Ri In sings with power. The piano foundation, with the addition of the bass, synths and perfectly matching strings, definitely provide the song with the standard ballad feel, but with an extra boost.

Like I’ve said earlier, fans of ballads will love this album. First Love, the first song of the album is the perfect song to set the mood. The song starts off quite subtly, but builds as it progresses, both in music and in vocals. Ri In’s vocals are strong and the emotion felt through them is insane. Still, an album still can’t be without its upbeat songs, or it wouldn’t be able to catch a listener’s attention. One More Try is probably the best and only song with a slightly more upbeat R&B sound. Ri In still does a great job adapting to the change and style. Classics, such as Y (Why…) and Timeless are also included to provide fans with Ri In’s debut hits.

With a slew of newcomers popping up in Korea, it’s great that Ri In is being marketed in China, so she can have a chance to gain some recognition. Her voice is different from many newcomers in the Chinese industry and though she’s mainly ballad-oriented, she has proved that she can easily adapt to other genres. It’s no doubt that Ri In will definitely gain more steam as time goes on.

4/5

Shinee (mini album) – Noona’s Pretty

59578552_1.jpg

01 Noona’s Pretty (Replay)

02 In My Room

03 Real

04 Love Should Go On

05 Noona’s Pretty (Replay Boom Track)

Purchase this album

Over the years, SM Entertainment has launched many successful boy bands in Korea. From the early days of H.O.T, Shinhwa and Fly To The Sky, to the current roster of DBSG and Super Junior, now we add Shinee to this list. They are the latest boy band launched by this entertainment giant. Like all other SM boy bands and girl groups, they have already received a lot of hype, and of course fans, even before their debut.

Shinee consists of five teenagers ranging from the ages of 14 to 18. The members are Jonghyun, Minho, Taemin, Onyoo, and Key. Unlike other SM boy bands, their music is more contemporary, and primarily R&B songs with good rhythm. Therefore, some people refer to Shinee as "SM Entertainment version of Big Bang".

Like all SM debutants in recent years, Shinee started with a mini-album. Their title song "Noona's Pretty (Replay)" is a mid-tempo R&B song with a good rhythm to dance along with. This song showcases both Shinee's vocal and dance skills. It has the kind of addictive melody that young female fans will love. The song is doing very well on music charts. It also has a different version on the last track on this mini-album with a different arrangement.

Track 2 "In My Room" is an R&B ballad which is heavy on vocals, but Shinee pull it off nicely. It has great potential to be the 2nd single. Track 3 "Real" is perhaps the most up-tempo song of the mini-album that fans can dance to. Track 4 "Love Should Go On" is a very American-style R&B mid-tempo song. We have heard of a lot of this kind of R&B songs in k-pop. Fans who are fond of songs of this style will certainly like this one. Overall, all the songs recorded on this min-album are good quality k-pop songs.

Having had so much hype before their debut, I'd say Shinee have lived up to their high expectations so far. Listening to their songs, you would think that they are in their early 20s but in fact they are much younger. It tells us that they are well trained and have maturity beyond their age. Music-wise, their 1st mini-album is heavily R&B. Whether they are going forward in this direction remains to be seen, because in the past, we've seen other SM groups like DBSG and CSJH evolve into different genres after a while. One thing for sure, Shinee are certainly one of the top rookie artistes so far in 2008.

4/5

Miho (single) – Secret

MihoYangpa.jpg

01 Where’s The Secret (Yangpa & Miho)

02 To Not Stop (Sam)

03 Lovely S.Y (Lee So Yoon)

04 I (Yoo Young Suk, Star Love Fish)

05 I (Acoustic Version)

06 Where’s the Secret (Inst.)

07 I (Inst.)

Purchase this album

Songwriter Miho came to the forefront and released a mini-album "Secret". There are four songs in the album, all composed by Mihol. The other 3 songs are different versions of instrumental tracks. Miho also wrote the lyrics of the songs "Lovely S.Y." and "I" and participated in the vocal part of "Where's The Secret". All 4 songs are of different styles, showing the musical talent of Miho.

With the help of Yangpa, one of the top female vocalists in Korea, the title song "Where's The Secret" is a duet between the two. It is about how secrets are part of life. However, unless they have similar voices, I can hear that Yangpa sang most parts of the song. Nevertheless, this is a very nice ballad with a good piano intro. It is not like a vintage Yangpa ballad which has a lot of highs and lows throughout the song. Instead, this song is very smooth the whole way through.

Track 2 "To Not Stop" is another ballad sung by male vocalist Sam. Track 3 "Lovely S.Y." is an up-tempo song sung by Lee So Yoon. I guess S.Y. stands for So Yoon in this case. Track 4 "I" is a light-rock ballad sung by Yoo Young Suk and Star Love Fish, aka Kim Do Yeon, who also wrote the lyrics of Track 1 and 2. Yoo Young Suk's charming voice makes this song even better.

This is a mini-album you have to listen more to appreciate the music. At first, I didn't like it that much, but the more I listened, the more I liked each song. Like I said, the best thing about this min-album is that all 4 songs are of different varieties. If I rated it after the first time I listened, I would have only given it a 3. Now I am giving it a 4.

4/5

SG Wannabe Vol. 5 – My Friend

153161.jpg

01 Lalala*

02 A Neat Breakup**

03 Because I Love You

04 I Miss You***

05 Her News

06 Melody

07 Kiss

08 Hello

09 How to Love (feat.Mario)

10 Keep in Touch

11 Happy!

12 Crime and Punishment Part II

13 Very Beautiful

14 I Miss You (Japanese Version)

* Album title song

** 2nd single

*** released as digital single prior to album release

Purchase this album

Over the past 3 years, when it comes to Korean album sales, SG Wannabe are second to none. They are also doing very well in their songs, generating hit after hit after hit. This album marks a change in membership, as Chae Dong Ha has left the group and is replaced by Lee Suk Hoon. Chae only participated in the song "I Miss You" and performed with the group one final time during their TV comeback special. All members had teary eyes and the scene was very touching.

Korea's top songwriter and producer Cho Young Soo is once again the mastermind behind this album for his top client. Other musicians who participated in this album are all familiar names: Ahn Young Min, Kim Do Hoon, Min Myung Ki, Choi Kap Won, etc. All of them have written at least one hit song for SG Wannabe in the past.

During the last album, SG Wannabe diverged into more traditional sounds for their song "Arirang". This time they went even further as the title song "LaLaLa" has American country style written all over it. Cho Young Soo is a genius in music arrangement and it shows again in this song. That combines well with the smooth vocal of SG Wannabe, producing an instant hit song that fans will remember for a long time.

That Track 2 "A Neat Breakup" was chosen as the second single is a bit of a surprise. This is an up-tempo song to SG Wannabe's standard. While the trio had recorded this type of songs before in past albums, they were not promoted, so you can say this is another first for SG Wannabe. Maybe we are getting into summer and fans need an upbeat song. It is not a bad song, but still there are other better songs in this album.

Like all other SG Wannabe albums, each song is worth listening. "LaLaLa" is not the only song with an American country theme, "Her News" and "Hello" also have similar arrangements. With the success of "LaLaLa", I would have thought one of these songs to be the 2nd single. If you like more vintage style SG Wannabe R&B ballads, "Because I Love You", "I Miss You", "Keep In Touch" are your choices. SG Wannabe usually release 3 singles per album, and I think "Keep In Touch" (track 10) is an excellent choice. Another song worth mentioning is "Melody". Written by Min Myung Ki, it has a very familiar melody indeed and I am thinking it may be a remake of another song. :unsure:

This album was released at the same time as Epik High and MC Mong's new album. Now it looks like this album has the most staying power as it is still in the top 5 in the album sales chart. Looks like a change in membership has not affected SG Wannabe's popularity.

4.5/5

Archived