So Ji Sub 소지섭 - Best Korean Actor & Rapper -

sojisubaddicted

Rap music does no harm? Are you kidding? The music that was born from gang warfare between East coast and West coast? The music that is produced and promoted by numerous thugs, many of whom have been shot and killed, or gone to jail? The music that is responsible for promoting violence in the African American community? The music that talks about killing cops, hating White people, and which calls women "b**ches" and "ho's"? THIS is where rap music comes from. And the fashion styles--including the pants worn like they're falling off and the one pant leg rolled up--are actually symbolic and have meaning in the thug community. I have lived in an area close to the inner city for years and I have numerous friends in the Black community, so don't tell me what I'm saying is "nonsense". You want to defend Ji Sub's fashion choice, go ahead. You're free to do so. But don't tell others what they're saying is "nonsense".

Ji Sub is not "real" when he's emulating a fashion style that comes from a culture he apparently knows nothing about. I love the guy but I'm going to say when I think something isn't right, I don't care who it is.

no rap music was not born from gang warfare between east and west coast. Curtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang,Grandmaster Flash and the furious five were rapping in the 70's and it had nothing to do with gang warfare. Also violence would exist in society without music so rap music has nothing to do with somebody wanting to do you harm. It is like saying violent video games causes a kid to shoot up school come on now. Also what black friends do you have in the community and are you saying these friends of yours are like that? also how do you know what ji sub knows? if that is what he likes then let him like and wear what he chooses, i am quite sure you wouldn't like if he told you what to wear and how he didn't like it. Peace.

no rap music was not born from gang warfare between east and west coast. Curtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang,Grandmaster Flash and the furious five were rapping in the 70's and it had nothing to do with gang warfare. Also violence would exist in society without music so rap music has nothing to do with somebody wanting to do you harm. It is like saying violent video games causes a kid to shoot up school come on now. also how do you know what ji sub knows? if that is what he likes then let him like and wear what he chooses, i am quite sure you wouldn't like if he told you what to wear and how he didn't like it. Peace.

Tanio , you said all i wanted .. but how can i explain so well when my english is really poor .

Korealslove , I can't understand you , sincerelly . I love all genre of music and hip hop also .. but when dancing or dressing like hip hop guys do - and i use to - it means i'm from a gang or something ?? God , how i like to dress sport and like them too .. more that wear a formal suit . There are gansters and bad people in the world who don't dress like that , whom wears suits even .. So .. You have some more reason ? Or , you know we can't be the same all .. No offense , dear .

Like sohapilee said that she love his style whatever it is .. we all can accept Jisub fans whatever they are ..

Sohapille , welcome back ! There are some fresh news , don't you think ? :)

no rap music was not born from gang warfare between east and west coast. Curtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang,Grandmaster Flash and the furious five were rapping in the 70's and it had nothing to do with gang warfare. Also violence would exist in society without music so rap music has nothing to do with somebody wanting to do you harm. It is like saying violent video games causes a kid to shoot up school come on now. Also what black friends do you have in the community and are you saying these friends of yours are like that? also how do you know what ji sub knows? if that is what he likes then let him like and wear what he chooses, i am quite sure you wouldn't like if he told you what to wear and how he didn't like it. Peace.

The CURRENT popular brand of rap--also called "gangster rap"--originated as I described. The fact is, there are no top-selling rappers like Curtis Blow or GM Flash as of this date. It is NOT the popular and preferred form of rap at this time and hasn't been for 15 years. Furthermore, the clothing styles that are today associated with rap were NOT used by the old school rappers. They are a contemporary phenomenon. And it is the symbolism behind these styles--which Ji Sub and many, many other emulate---that bothers me. The low-slung pants and the one-leg-rolled-up style all come from the prison culture that is glorified by today's rappers--the ones that Ji Sub listens to and wants to dress like.

My Black friends are educated, hard-working, intelligent people who are deeply embarassed by what contemporary rap culture has done to their communities and how Black people are associated with it. They take it very seriously. Unlike Whites and Asians who buy this music "because we like the beat" and emulate these fashions without knowing anything about their prison-culture origins, my Black friends know how real and how serious it actually is. It's not a trend to them. It's real-life violence and hate that has infected their communities.

And please don't make silly statements like "you wouldn't like it if he told you what to wear". Ji Sub and I are not in private communication, so neither one of us is telling the other one what to wear. Silly comment.

Tanio , you said all i wanted .. but how can i explain so well when my english is really poor .

Korealslove , I can't understand you

And that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. At least my opinions are based on education and facts, and not just something I pulled out of my ear.

The CURRENT popular brand of rap--also called "gangster rap"--originated as I described. The fact is, there are no top-selling rappers like Curtis Blow or GM Flash as of this date. It is NOT the popular and preferred form of rap at this time and hasn't been for 15. Furthermore, the clothing styles that are today associated with rap were NOT used by the old school rappers. They are a contemporary phenomenon. And it is the symbolism behind these styles--which Ji Sub and many, many other emulate---that bothers me. The low-slung pants and the one-leg-rolled-up style all come from the prison culture that is glorified by today's rappers--the ones that Ji Sub listens to and wants to dress like.

what ji sub wears shouldn't bother anyone as that is what he chooses to wear, why one can't accept that he probably doesn't care and i wouldn't blame him.

My Black friends are educated, hard-working, intelligent people who are deeply embarassed by what contemporary rap culture has done to their communities and how Black people are associated with it. They take it very seriously. Unlike Whites and Asians who buy this music "because we like the beat" and emulate these fashions without knowing anything about their prison-culture origins, my Black friends know how real and how serious it actually is. It's not a trend to them. It's real-life violence and hate that has infected their communities.

what does your friends have to do with a actor miles away in korea and what he chooses to wear why does it concern you so. Also there are many aspects affecting the black community and i can assure you rap music is not one of them. Like i said before if there was no music violence would still exist.

And please don't make silly statements like "you wouldn't like it if he told you what to wear". Ji Sub and I are not in private communication, so neither one of us is telling the other one what to wear. Silly comment.

No it's not a silly comment as he wears what he chooses to wear and how you feel is of no concern to him so why even dwell on it.Nevertheless, jisub is his own man and does his own thing and i respect him for that and there is nothing else to say.

what ji sub wears shouldn't bother anyone as that is what he chooses to wear, why one can't accept that he probably doesn't care and i wouldn't blame him.

what does your friends have to do with a actor miles away in korea and what he chooses to wear why does it concern you so. Also there are many aspects affecting the black community and i can assure you rap music is not one of them. Like i said before if there was no music violence would still exist.

No it's not a silly comment as he wears what he chooses to wear and how you feel is of no concern to him so why even dwell on it.Nevertheless, jisub is his own man and does his own thing and i respect him for that and there is nothing else to say.

The only one "dwelling" is you, when you popped up out of your obscurity to defend rap music, ignore basic facts as I stated them regarding the violence and misogyny rampant in rap music and rap culture, refer to my knowledge of the subject as "nonsense", and make an underhanded swipe at my Black friends by asking me "what kind" they are.

You want to tell me what doesn't "concern" me, and lecture me about what shouldn't "bother me", yet it's evident that you're the one who is "concerned" and "bothered" by the audacity of anyone to speak out with an opinion you don't agree with. You could have stated you disagreed, that you like Ji Sub's style, and that you aren't offended by rap music or his interest in it, and left it at that. Instead you had to continue beating a dead horse and making insolent, juvenile remarks.

You like Ji Sub's rap/hiphop fashion. I don't. Deal with it. End of discussion.

Hi Mireia :D Welcome to SoJisub soompi thread ^^

dear eun-chaekyung abt locate spot SJS ..... from link --> http://pann.nate.com/b201877157

강남 역에서 소간지! 소지섭오빠를 봤어요!!

Soganji in Gangnam ! , I saw So Ji-sub oppa

*Gangnam* Seoul :D ... 51k is in Gangnam area too --> http://www.51k.co.kr/#/kompany/information

oh my :o am not thinking abt rap , hip hop or smething ! ! ! just obsessed with his handsome face in eyeglasses n cap

@ private shopping ^^ he look so good in ADI FIREBIRD [[ sport wear > cheer for World Cup coming . . . so coooooool .... ]]

*wave* all ^^

just obsessed with his handsome face in eyeglasses n cap

Coco Milk, that is truly the most wonderful part. :lol: When he wears the shades, our eyes go to his lips...or in my case--his eyebrows, which are cute and always have a life and expression of their own. :lol:

Guest anne-jgyoo

It's about what he dress not concern what he does. all rappers are not the same kind as you mentioned.

Open you mind, think positive, your life would get be better..

Anyway, thanks for your attention to our Jisub.. :D:D

Guest liula540

Aloha KoreaIsLove,

Thank you for your honesty and insidefulness to the world of the “gangsta” culture. I totally understand your point of view and the importance of how symbolisms which can send a strong, silent message to our youth in any nation. I believe if a person is in a leadership role or a high, public position, the person has the responsibility to be aware of their conduct and what they are representing to our youth of what behavior is expected and accept of them. For example, if a celebrity or royal prince decides to wear a swastika on the sleeve of his shirt and parade around. The prince sends a strong, silent message to our youth that the behavior and attitudes of the white supremacist is a good thing.

I can’t say or know if SJS is sending a strong, silent message when he wore his pant as you had stated. However, I believe he may not be aware of the symbolism and hope we can give him the benefit of a doubt that he is not promoting “gangsta” lifestyle. Thank you again, KoreaIsLove for increasing our awareness to a culture, lifestyle, and behaviors that needs to change to increase the chances of our youth to make better choices.

It's about what he dress not concern what he does. all rappers are not the same kind as you mentioned.

Open you mind, think positive, your life would get be better..

Maybe you should open your mind to comprehend what a person wrote before you comment on it and make yourself look silly. You clearly read NOTHING I wrote, but that didn't stop you from posting a pointless and unrelated comment. I wasn't discussing rap, but the symbolism of the clothing which originates from the prison culture which is glorified in rap music. Apparently, you think prison culture, violence, and misogyny are fine. Good for you.

Aloha KoreaIsLove,

Thank you for your honesty and insidefulness to the world of the “gangsta” culture. I totally understand your point of view and the importance of how symbolisms which can send a strong, silent message to our youth in any nation. I believe if a person is in a leadership role or a high, public position, the person has the responsibility to be aware of their conduct and what they are representing to our youth of what behavior is expected and accept of them. For example, if a celebrity or royal prince decides to wear a swastika on the sleeve of his shirt and parade around. The prince sends a strong, silent message to our youth that the behavior and attitudes of the white supremacist is a good thing.

I can’t say or know if SJS is sending a strong, silent message when he wore his pant as you had stated. However, I believe he may not be aware of the symbolism and hope we can give him the benefit of a doubt that he is not promoting “gangsta” lifestyle. Thank you again, KoreaIsLove for increasing our awareness to a culture, lifestyle, and behaviors that needs to change to increase the chances of our youth to make better choices.

Liula, thank you for this incredibly thoughtful and intelligent response. I believe SJS doesn't KNOW the meaning of the style he wore at Giordano the other day, and likely the Korean public doesn't know either. I sincerely don't think for one second that SJS wants to send a message that he sells drugs. But in African American prison culture, the right leg rolled up means "I'm dealing", while the left leg rolled up means "I'm buying". I think as an adult, intelligent, and talented 33 year old man SJS should be more informed about this culture he seems to admire so much. That is all.

for me ; visit this thread is suppose to relieve stress from work ; and i can show my nutty to the man i love. . . . . that i can't do in real life B)

:D:) to hear abt take care of our youth society here ^^ that's meaning point :):D

dear jeeji :) official imbc just release tser # 3 today . . . coming soon 7zur5.gif coming soon e0082.gif

Road No.1 tser #3 [52 sec] --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ub4mDJpXk

dl click or right click n sve --> http://takeswf.imbc.com/wwwflv/Content/20105/road03.flv

cocotser3.jpg

<< from imbc >>

Aloha KoreaIsLove,

Jisub is very aware of what he does and that one pant leg thing is only but one style of Jisub and to define him by that would not be fair.. Also try to do research on your own about the hip hop culture as the so called gangsta lifestyle is but one aspect of hip-hop that is not all of hip-hop. Also and our youth will always make better choices, we have to stop underestimating their intelligence, they are lot more smarter then we give them credit for.

Guest liula540

Jisub is very aware of what he does and that one pant leg thing is only but one style of Jisub and to define him by that would not be fair.. Also try to do research on your own about the hip hop culture as the so called gangsta lifestyle is but one aspect of hip-hop that is not all of hip-hop. Also and our youth will always make better choices, we have to stop underestimating their intelligence, they are lot more smarter then we give them credit for.

I am not saying if SJS is aware or not aware of what he does. I’ve been working with “at-risk” youth since 1997. I know the impact these celebrities have on the youth. Yes, our youth are intelligence. However, if a young person does not have positive role models who represent a lifestyle of the golden rules of life. How are they able to make the right choices like staying in school, giving back to their community, and/or going to college, if all they see is using and selling drugs, domestic violence, having children out of wedlock and going to prison? My view point is everyone in a public position (youth mentor, actors, actress, politician, or the prince of England) has some kind of responsibility (whether the person likes or not) to image they create for themselves. I can honesty I am fully aware of my responsibility of my conduct in my community whether I like it or not. I am a true believe that our actions speak more than what we say. That’s all I am say.

for me ; visit this thread is suppose to relieve stress from work ; and i can show my nutty to the man i love. . . . . that i can't do in real life B)

:D:) to hear abt take care of our youth society here ^^ that's meaning point :):D

Thank you coco. Like you, I visit this thread to relieve stress from work and read about the man I love . . . like you, I can't do in real life B)

A thank you shout out to Coconut milk, Saturn, and all everyone to contributes to this thread!

I am not saying if SJS is aware or not aware of what he does. I’ve been working with “at-risk” youth since 1997. I know the impact these celebrities have on the youth. Yes, our youth are intelligence. However, if a young person does not have positive role models who represent a lifestyle of the golden rules of life. How are they able to make the right choices like staying in school, giving back to their community, and/or going to college, if all they see is using and selling drugs, domestic violence, having children out of wedlock and going to prison? My view point is everyone in a public position (youth mentor, actors, actress, politician, or the prince of England) has some kind of responsibility (whether the person likes or not) to image they create for themselves. I can honesty I am fully aware of my responsibility of my conduct in my community whether I like it or not. I am a true believe that our actions speak more than what we say. That’s all I am say.

I understand what you are saying all i am saying is let's research sometimes before we start condemning a whole genre of music.also celebrities aren't obligated to do anything for anyone just like fans aren't obligated to watch their movies or buy their music. one must accept all aspects of a person not just the image they want that person to be.Nevertheless ji sub wearing his pant leg up is just that wearing his pant leg up nothing more nothing less and how it got to be he doesn't understand the message he is sending is crazy.Nevertheless your points are well taken and i will continue to enjoy the man Jisub and his work as at the end of the day it is his work that pays the bills.

Guest vudoolady

@Korealslove & Tanio

He he, I've been following the discussion between you girls and must say it's quite interesting.

At first I didn't want to reply on this but can' t help it, it's too much fun :D

Don't get me wrong, it's not an ironic remark. I think this kind of disagreements among the fans is totally normal.

Honestly I find both of you have you're point.

Regarding Korealslove's opinion, it's understandable that hip hop cuture is a sensitive issue for her. If I live near a gang neighbourhood, knowing what's really going on and still have to see all that westside eastside crap on TV or on the internet, I would react exactly the same way.

But on the other hand I don't think Tanio is wrong. Hip hop is so much more than simply a reflection of gangsta culture. And it's not necessarily for glorifying or justifying the violence. I believe even some of them use rap music to get attention of the world for this problematic matter of gangsta neighbourhood. And this is good, the more people know about it the more pressure on the government looking for a resolution.

Although some of hip hop fashion style originated from gangsters, it should be concidered as only a small aspect of the whole g culture. Unless you're a gangster who has a dark meaning behind your fashion code, I don't see harm from those who copy their style. Their intention is merely looking tough like a gangster and not being a gangster. Come on, do you really think that there's somebody would like to become a gangster knowing how cruel that world could be? It's all due to poverty and lack of education. If you want to find a resolution you have to deal with the real cause and not attacking those who imitating gangsta fashion which is everything but the cause.

No matter Jisub is aware of gangsta's code or not, we shouldn't take this matter too seriously, I believe he just simply wants to look cool and tough in that hip hop style no more no less. When I first saw those pix, I laughed so hard because Jisub looked so 'NOT REAL'. Korea and black American gangsters are like two totally different planets. It's so funny and cute seeing Jisub trying to look tough while knowing he's actually very shy. Now hopefully his fans won't all become a gangster ... gosh, imagine I really become like one :lol:

@Korealslove:

If you're really unhappy and worrying about Jisub's gangsta's imitation you can send him a letter to 51K.

If I'm not wrong there was also a similar incident 3 years ago, but with much more commotion.

It was The Brown Bunny foto's for W magazine.

I believe one of his biggest overseas fans had sent him a protesting letter.

Don't know whether Jisub had read it or not, but it seems JiSub doesn't make that kind of fotoshoot again since than.

So you never know...

Btw, sorry for my bad writing, english is foreign language to me

@coco, haiyingqin,willenette and others: thx so much for pix, news and clips!!!

The 3rd trailer of Road is so interesting. Jisub and KHN have so many passionate scenes, I'm dead curious now, can't wait anymore!!!!

Wave to all Jisub's lovers

Guest khin myint

Annyeong everyone!!!!!!! I'm back :rolleyes:

My apologies for disappear [ i had sme problem and @ sad sad mode around ]

miss u all n *Hug* for all do pretty update and every warmly post here .... Fighting ! ! ! ! + +

Fighting !!!!!!! coco *hug* :mellow: I hope everything OK and peace out :huh: And hope to see you back soon....

And special thanks to saturn, coco, my chingu, willenette, haiyingqin and all jisub fans for updating.... more than an hour for reading all updates.... :rolleyes:

@ vudoolady & dany .. I just went to the other Asaia country and I'll go to Seoul on Jisub Birhtday..

@ eun-chaekyung .. thanks for sharing kiki's new babay with jisub... they both so adorable :rolleyes:

We can't wait to see "Road No 1" :huh:

*wave* to all jisub fans.... waving to KoreaIslove, vudoolady I see you down there.....

Jisub is very aware of what he does

Did you just say that Ji Sub WANTS to look like a gangsta who calls women richard simmons and who deals drugs? Thanks for finally letting us know what kind of person you think this man is.

And the rest of your comment was too stupid to bother with.

Hip hop is so much more than simply a reflection of gangsta culture.

I want to repeat AGAIN what I've said TWICE already: My original comments were NOT about the music genre. My comments were about the symbolism behind the fashion choices and how they related to gangster rap (which is the music that Ji Sub likes, at least some of what he likes) and are DIRECTLY connected to gang culture, misogyny, and prison culture.

And your English is excellent, no trouble reading you at all.

Did you just say that Ji Sub WANTS to look like a gangsta who calls women richard simmons and who deals drugs? Thanks for finally letting us know what kind of person you think this man is.

And the rest of your comment was too stupid to bother with.

What are you talking about? .Jisub wants to do what he wants to do why is that such a problem?Also when jisub wears the clothes that he is wearing i don't think he is thinking about richard simmons or drug dealers now maybe you might be thinking about it but jisub i doubt it..

I want to repeat AGAIN what I've said TWICE already: My original comments were NOT about the music genre. My comments were about the symbolism behind the fashion choices and how they related to gangster rap (which is the music that Ji Sub likes, at least some of what he likes) and are DIRECTLY connected to gang culture, misogyny, and prison culture.

Jisub wearing his pant leg up has nothing to do with gangsterism, now the true gangstas are the Gang Pae that is a true gangster and Jisub is nowhere near gangsterism. i mean would people be happy if he was sporting make up and wearing skinny jeans.Also jisub likes all aspects of music and not all of it is so-called gangsta music. Nevertheless it seems like there is a problem with how this man wants to represent himself and i thought hip-hop was about expression whether good or bad.

@Korealslove & Tanio

If you're really unhappy and worrying about Jisub's gangsta's imitation you can send him a letter to 51K.

If I'm not wrong there was also a similar incident 3 years ago, but with much more commotion.

It was The Brown Bunny foto's for W magazine.

I believe one of his biggest overseas fans had send him a protesting letter.

Don't know whether Jisub had read it or not, but it seems JiSub doesn't make that kind of fotoshoot again since than.

So you never know...

Thank you for your warm and supporting thoughts. Nevertheless, Jisub has been rocking hip-hop clothes for a minute. Also he played a gangster in a movie called Rough Cut i didn't see anyone get angry about that and it was not a meek and soft movie. also he was rocking the reggae perm before people even knew what it was and there was no problem with that so anyway i look forward to his movie and his dog KIKI is too divine.