Kang Dong-Won 강동원 [Upcoming movies: “The Plot”, “Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

July 21, 2014
Kang back in bitter bad boy role‘A lot of people tried to stop me from appearing in the film because Jo-yoon’s role is not that big.
BY LEE SEUNG-MI INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

20192858.jpg
Korean actor Kang Dong-won has charmed viewers as a good-natured country boy in movies like “Too Beautiful to Lie” (2004) or “Romance of their Own” (2004) and has also impressed audiences as a heartless villain in “The Duelist” (2005) and “M” (2007).
But the public hasn’t seen Kang in any role for four years because he’s been undergoing his mandatory military service and taking some time off. 
However, Kang has now returned in a new costume film, “Kundo: Age of the Rampant,” where he plays Jo-yoon, a tenacious governor from the Jeolla area during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). 
The 32-year-old actor sat down with Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of Korea JoongAng Daily, to talk about his latest role. 
Q. Why did you pick “Kundo” as your first film after finishing military service?
A. I was strongly convinced by director Yoon Jong-bin. I’m drawn to people who have strong confidence and precise intentions about their work, just like Yoon. As a matter of fact, many people tried to stop me from appearing in the film because Jo-yoon’s role is not big, and they thought I couldn’t shine among maverick actors like Ha Jung-woo and Jo Jin-woong. But I was pretty confident about my role and myself. 
What were some of your priorities when playing Jo-yoon?
I wanted to show Jo-yoon’s bitter side. As he is a child of a concubine, he fails to be acknowledged by his father. He is constantly deprived of love, and although he is a villain in the film, he should be a character who evokes sympathy as well. 
I wasn’t just trying to show his bad side, but his bitterness as well.
How did you feel when you finished shooting the film?
Personally, I wanted to live a little longer as Jo-yoon. When I felt that I had finally grasped the character, I was already over halfway into the shooting schedule. I don’t know if it was because I returned to shooting after such a long time, but it was kind of hard returning to my ordinary life. 
How do you feel when you play a villain?
I feel something like a thrill when I play the bad guy. Due to my quiet personality, I don’t express my feelings that much. And I even feel stressed out when I have to reject something. So through my role I kind of feel pleasure when bullying someone. [Laughs]
Did you go through any special training for the film’s action scenes?
I trained with a personal trainer for five months before I began shooting. When I did action in “The Duelist,” I took modern dance lessons because I needed to show more choreographed movements rather than brutal ones. But this time, I underwent so much harsh training that the actual shooting didn’t even feel that hard. 
Are you intentionally holding on to your mysterious image?
I think the image derives from my personality. When I don’t have special plans, I don’t like to hang around. 
Are you really a kind of “tough guy” like your peer Ha described you?
I don’t tend to compromise. For example, I don’t care about my body getting hurt, I just carry on in hard action scenes. 

Guest AnJilaah

id="watch-headline-title" class="yt" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 24px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); overflow: hidden; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-color: transparent; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"Showbiz Korea - CELEBRITIES WITH OUTSTANDING FAMILY BACKGROUNDS 연예계 엄친아 & 엄친딸

Source: Arirang KPOP
KDW is included in the video. :) He starts 4:56 
EDIT:
Kang Dong Won expresses to Shim Eun Kyung for choosing as her most favorite actor

20140720204257_53cbab418fb8b_1.jpg

Kang Dong Won expressed thanks to Shim Eun Kyung for choosing him as the actress that she hopes to work with the most.

During a recent interview StarN News, actor Kang Dong Won expressed thanks to actress Shim Eun Kyung for choosing him as the actor that she hopes to work with the most.

Back in December, Shim Eun Kyung told that Kang Dong Won is the actor that she hopes to work with the most during press conference of movie 'Suspicious Lady.'

Regarding Lee Jin Wook, who casted in the film with her, she told that he is a charming guy, but not any close to her ideal type.

Shim Eun Kyung also told that she will host a party if she gets to work with Kang Dong Won.

Kang Dong Won told that he read it on a news article, and showed a shy smile.

Regarding Shim Eun Kyung, Kang Dong Won said, "She is a fabulous actress," and "I would always do a work with her if I ever get a chance."

Meanwhile, Kang Dong Won recently casted in a new film called 'KUNDO : The Age of Rampant.'
/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

Credit: Star News

Kundo's advance tickets already exceeded 217,842 units before tomorrow screening!greater than Thieves (112,000) and The Face Reader (130,000) 
Great Job! keep doing well at box office... :)
2007.7.22 1:35amfWeYzX.jpg
KOBIS

-----------------------------more Uniqlo
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh...pheww, I was wondering why there is no Kundo's opening news and glad to know that it will only open today. I really wish it will TOP the ticket sales.

KDW is what I called a true actor, he looks at the stories first before the commercial aspect. He is an actor that take his acting seriously and doesn't care not to be the lead role as long as the character is challenging for him.

KDW fighting

Kang Dong-won slays in Kundoby awcoconuts | July 23, 2014KangDongWon3.jpg

Kang Dong-won is making the press rounds for Kundo: Age of the Rampant (also known as Band of Thieves), which hits theaters on July 23. After finishing work on the movie Psychic in 2010, Kang headed to mandatory military service for two years, then spent another couple of years catching his breath and carefully reviewing offers. He did an interview a couple of days ago, and was asked how he came to select Kundo as his comeback work, a project that didn’t even have a script to its name when he signed on.

Kang said, “I had previously heard that Director Yoon Jong-bin wanted to work with me. I, in turn, had seen Nameless Gangster and had been curious about him. So I asked Director Yoon to get together for drinks. He brought with him the idea [of Kundo] and asked if I would like to work together with him on it — although he did warn me beforehand, ‘You’ll be playing a villain. Is that okay?’”

After meeting with Kang, Director Yoon began writing the screenplay for Kundoimmediately. Upon receiving the finished product, Kang was satisfied with the movie’s message, his character, and the entertainment factor — especially his character. “The character stood out from the screenplay. In addition, the director had faith in me. It was an ideal project.”

KangDongWon4.jpg

SOURCE  SBSfunE
COMPLETE ARTICLE TRANSLATION: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/07/kang-dong-won-slays-in-kundo/

Guest bratzjoyce

KDW is one of my favorite Korean actors, I loved his role in temptation of wolves and too beautiful too lie.

I wish he will make movies or series with Son Ye Jin. :x :x :x :x

class="entry-title single-title" style="margin: 5px 0px 20px; padding: 0px; font-family: Oswald, Arial, Verdana, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: 400; font-size: 50px; line-height: 60px; text-transform: uppercase; text-align: center; background-image: url(http://64.19.142.13/couch-kimchi.com/wp-content/themes/simplemag/images/section-header.png); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 0px 50%; background-repeat: repeat-x;"KANG DONG WON COVERS CINE21′S ISSUE NO. 963023.jpg

th his big screen prominence this year, Kang Dong Won graces No. 963 of Cine21.

His period action flick Kundo: Age of the Rampant actually premiered in theaters today, but the melodrama My Brilliant Life, which won’t be released till September, seems to be garnering more buzz since it reunites him with world class beauty Song Hye Kyo.

Check out his spreads!

04_zps02dc50d8.jpg~original

05_zps164578fd.jpg~original

02_zps2f165cfb.jpg~original

03_zps1cb2cdbf.jpg~original

01_zps6fd61210.jpg~original

Source  |  Cine21 via Couch KImchi

More pics of Kang Dong Won from Star Live talkcredit as tagged via KDW DC galtumblr_n9eaqhk31b1sz568uo4_500.jpg
tumblr_n9eaqhk31b1sz568uo9_500.jpg
tumblr_n9eaqhk31b1sz568uo10_500.jpg
rest of pic here
The Q & A

Q. 촬영은 어땠는가?강동원 : 액션을 보면 빠르게 재생한 것 같은데 그게 아니라 실제 액션 속도이다. 어두운 밤에 촬영한 것은 총 13일 촬영에 액션만 11일을 촬영했다. 롱테이크를 고집하는 감독 덕에 압박감이 있었으나 잘해야겠다는 생각도 있었다.Q. 와이어 위에 매달린 무술감독.A. 조윤이라는 인물이 어느정도로 엄청난 무술실력을 가지고 있는지에 대해서 확실히 보여주고 싶었다. 힘있게 표현되었으면 좋겠다고 생각했으며 강동원이 직접 촬영하기를 원했다. 그때 정도홍 감독이 '놈놈놈' 촬영 때 와이어를 타고 촬영한 적이 있다고 했다. 강동원의 검술 속도를 아무런 장비도 따라잡질 못해서 결국 정두홍 감독이 와이어를 타고 촬영을 했고, 촬영 준비와 테스트에만 하루가 걸렸다. 하지만 이로 인해 '조윤'이라는 캐릭터에 힘이 들어가고 사실적으로 표현되었다.Q. 자기보다 큰 칼을 가지고 액션연기를 하는 사람은 이성민 뿐이었다.A. 힘들었다. 칼이 꽤 무거워서 연습을 하고 난 다음날은 숟가락도 들지 못했다, 손이 떨려서. 감독이 무술은 머리로 생각하는 것이 아니라 몸이 기억해야하는 것이라고 해서 연습을 많이 했다. 누누이 말하지만 강동원의 액션 속도가 정말 빠르다. 강동원과 합을 맞추려면 강동원의 속도를 늦추거나 내가 빨라야 했다. 동원이가 늦출 수는 없지 않나 (웃음) 그래서 긴장을 많이 했다. 사실 나이가 먹어 현장이 어두워 거리감이 느껴지질 않아서 중심잡기가 힘들었다. 하지만 기회가 된다면 또 액션연기를 해보고 싶다.Q. 강동원이 말타고 오는 모습을 보고 선녀 같다고A (이성민) : 진짜다. 너무 예뻐서 진짜 선녀가 다가오는 기분이었다.Q. 하정우의 먹방,노린건가?A(감독) : 사실 범죄와의 전쟁에서 노린 것이 아니었는데 탕수육 장면이 꽤 인기를 얻어서 이 영화를 준비하면서 가장 많이 들은 질문이 '이번 영화에서 하정우에게 무얼 먹일 것이냐?'라는 것이어서 꽤나 고민을 많이 했다. 그러던 중 중국 프로그램? 같은 것에서 대파를 먹는 것을 보고 현장에 대파를 준비했다. 하정우에게 그걸 먹으라고 말하지 않았다. 그런데 하정우가 집어먹더라. 그 장면은 그렇게 탄생된 것이다.Q. 가장 힘들었거나 기억에 남는 장소는?-윤지혜 : 문경에서 쌀을 나눠주는 장면, 진짜 뙤약볕 너무 더워서 힘들었다. 응급차가 대기하고 있을 정도였다.-조진웅 : 진짜 협곡이 죽인다. 아름답다. 한국에 이런 곳이 있나 생각이 들었고 내가 진짜 안 가본 곳이 많구나 생각이 들었다. 힘들었던 것은 수염붙이고 말타면 다 힘들다.-이성민 : 역시나 조윤과 대결하는 곳. 너무 긴장을 해서 감기몸살도 걸렸었다.-강동원 : 양주고갯길. 아까는 안 힘들다고 했지만 차분하게 곰곰히 생각해보니 정말 힘들었다. 감독이 액션을 롱테이크로 찍고 싶다고 하셔서, 어쩌나 오더가 내려왔으니 배우인 나는 따를 수밖에 (웃음) 연습을 많이 했다. 또 그 고갯길에서 가장 오래 촬영을 했고 매일 밤샘이어서 힘들었다.-감독 : 양주가 가장 힘들었고 가장 기억에 남는 장소는 군도 본거지. 그곳은 공기도 너무 좋고 걸어 올라가는데 건강해지는 것 같았다. 차로 들어가는 길도 없어 우리가 직접 길을 터서 들어가야 했다. 거긴 핸드폰도 안 터진다. (웃음)Q. 가장 좋았던 부분은?A 윤지혜 : 나는 대부분 단체씬이었다. 하지만 현실적으로 여자가 많지 않아서 불편한 점은 있었으나 배우분들과 촬영해서 좋았다.Q. '군도'에 대한 의미.-강동원 : 나는 군도가 아니니 양반에 대한 것을 말해야하나 (웃음) 군도란 당시 시대를 돌아보는 것이 아닐까. 그 안에서 운명을 바꾸기 위해, 세상을 바꾸기 위해 싸운자들의 이야기라고 생각한다.-이성민 : 잘 모른다. (웃음) 신나는 영화라 할 수 있겠다. 다이나믹한 영화, 즐거운 영화에 참여하게 되어서 기분이 좋다.-감독 : 액션활극. 군도를 보고 난 관객중의 한명이 제대로 짚어준 것 같다. 사무라이 같은 '안티 사무라이' 영화.Q. 하정우 엉덩이 노출에 대역을 썼다던데 굳이 대역을 쓴 이유는?A. 촬영의 효율성 때문이다. 아무래도 빠듯한 촬영일 때문에 그때 하정우는 다른 촬영을 하고 있었다.Q. 긴 머리 때문에 불편한 점은 없었나?A 강동원 : 긴 머리는 시야를 가려서 액션하기가 힘들다. 또한 가발 무게 때문에 촬영을 하다가 벗겨지기도 한다. 가발에 대한 에피소드라면 이 부분을 사고로 인해서 갑자기 찍게 되었는데 분장감독님(?)이 가발을 굉장히 애지중지하신다. 트럭에 타면 아휴 예뻐라 하면서 가발을 빗고 계시니까. 그런데 세팅할 시간이 없이 급하게 찍게 되서 머릿결이 찰랑찰랑 좋아보이는 것이다.Q. 만약 도치와 조윤 둘 중에 한 역할을 해야 한다면 어떤 역을 하고 싶은가.A. 어렵다. 나도 생각을 해봐야겠다. (한2초) 아마도 군도에 들어가지 않을까.Q. 강동원 극중 나이는?A 강동원 : 29-31세 정도이다. 아무래도 하정우와 마동석은 어렵게 자랐고, 하정우는 소, 돼지를 죽이며 자라지 않는가. 나는 곱게 자랐으니까. 이해할 수 있다. (웃음)Q. 마지막으로 한 마디씩.-윤지혜 : 군도 평점 많이 올려주세요.-조진웅 : 결국은 백성이 힘을 내야한다. 군도 화이팅!-강동원 : 4년만에 스크린에 컴백하는데 행복하고 열심히 찍었다. 정말 좋은 영화 만드려고 노력했으니 많은 사랑 부탁드린다.=========================================이게전부인지는 내가 안가서 모르겠지만 폰붙잡고 열심히 복붙해옴ㅋㅋㅋ 필터링안한건 봐주길ㅋㅋㅋ

July 24, 2014
‘Kundo’ breaks box-office record on opening day
Source: The Korea Herald
“Kundo: Age of the Rampant” drew a record-high 550,000 viewers on its first day in theaters, heralding a rise of historical action films.
The Korean historical film dwarfed the U.S. fantasy animation “How to Train Your Dragon 2” that drew 72,000 viewers, according to the state-funded Korea Film Council. Both films launched on Wednesday.
“Kundo,” directed by Yoon Jong-bin and starring Ha Jung-woo and Gang Dong-won, replaces the former record movies “Transformer: Dark of the Moon (2011)” starring Shia LaBeouf and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and “Secretly, Greatly (2013)” starring Kim Soo-hyun. 
20140724001054_0.jpg
 “Kundo: Age of the Rampant” (Showbox/Mediaplex)

“Kundo” is set in mid-19th century Joseon, in the 13th year of King Cheoljong’s reign. Dolmuchi, played by Ha, is a butcher representing the bottom class of the caste system and stands up against the raging corruption and exploitation of the ruling yangban elites. The butcher organizes a resistance group called “Kundo” and confronts the loyal army of classist Jo Yoon, played by Gang, to liberate his oppressed class.