Books/movies On Japanese Culture

angelfightrJ

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not so if it doesn't, please move it ^^;;...

Anyway, since I'm going to Japan in the summer for two weeks and I'm going to do a research project

since I'm going with this certain program, I decided to choose the option of writing a book review or a movie review.

I already read Memoirs of a Geisha, and I have a feeling that other people will choose that book, I decided that

maybe it would be best to do another book/movie.

Do any of you have suggestions?

It has to be something that depicts Japanese culture. It doesn't matter what time period it is.

Guest .:daRkwinGs:.

hrmm...does it have to be just a book/movie??? well becuase you could do the upcoming sport. Sensee told me that they have sumo season coming up next month.

Guest DKYang

I just finished Flag of Our Fathers and did some research the it's counterpart, Letters from Iwo Jima. I read that it depicts Japanese culture back in the day during that time. I don't know all the stuff and haven't seen that movie myself, but it's worth a look.

Guest Epikt

Donald Richie's books (clic)

And there is this new book, Japanamerica by Roland Kelts, I was told it's good (clic)

I just finished Flag of Our Fathers and did some research the it's counterpart, Letters from Iwo Jima. I read that it depicts Japanese culture back in the day during that time. I don't know all the stuff and haven't seen that movie myself, but it's worth a look.

Hum... it's a view by a non-resident foreigner, I'm not sure it goes beyond an superficial point of view.

hrmm...does it have to be just a book/movie??? well becuase you could do the upcoming sport. Sensee told me that they have sumo season coming up next month.

yes u_u it has to be. more specifically, it has to be a movie. we had three choices: book, movie, or research paper. although i'm pretty good at research paper/essay kind of stuff, i have a lot going on so i decided to choose something that'll be interesting/informative and sort of relaxing at the same time.

oh (: OMG hahaha i know you! youre from kpopmusic.co.uk ...but i dont go on there anymore :/. anyway, the problem with that is....our group is going to have some social meetings;;;;...outside of our orientation meetings and that might be one of the things we might watch :/...

Donald Richie's books (clic)

And there is this new book, Japanamerica by Roland Kelts, I was told it's good (clic)

Hum... it's a view by a non-resident foreigner, I'm not sure it goes beyond an superficial point of view.

oh thanks, i'll check these out (:

the wind-up bird chronicle by haruki murakami

o_o..that sounds interesting.

oh, :x since i had the meeting on saturday, i had to choose between a book and a movie and i think i leaned towards the movie side D: so if you guys have any good movie suggestions, please feel free to list them ^^.

Archived