K-dramas On Dvds - Oh For The Love Of Boxsets!

Guest shred

Guest Qi Luo

Tom then went onto mention that there's a possibility Gourmet may be released as one boxset in Nov 2009, but I highly doubt it. The same thing is probably happening for Boys Over Flowers.

I really hope they release Gourmet as one boxset! I want to buy this drama, but it's to expensive to buy the 2 boxsets.

Does anyone knows what will be the extras released on YAE's 'Boys Over Flowers' boxsets? Will it be the same as the korean version?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kazenai

Did anyone buy Glory of Family/ Family's Honor on dvd ?

as I know Hanbooks is selling it at the lowest price...100 something.

On dvdasian.com it says that it's in 16:9 ratio (there's even a picture which shows this info) whereas Hanbooks says it's 4:3 (?_?) Did hanbooks put the wrong info or is it a different boxset.

I would seriously love to get my hands on this one !!!!! though in no circumstances can I afford it >.<

Whoever bought it....how are the english subs?

Guest Hanjae

On dvdasian.com it says that it's in 16:9 ratio (there's even a picture which shows this info) whereas Hanbooks says it's 4:3 (?_?) Did hanbooks put the wrong info or is it a different boxset.

I would seriously love to get my hands on this one !!!!! though in no circumstances can I afford it >.<

I bought it! I was going to take photos and show everyone, but I got too lazy to do it, haha. And they came in super plain amaray format (super plain as in the discs were in your average clear DVD boxes, with a printed cover slipped in the front), so it wasn't really worth taking photos of. I'd keep that in mind so that you don't buy it and end up disappointed!

So, basically there are two volumes, each with 9 discs (2 dvds in each DVD box) held in two 3-sided cardboard holders. DVDasian has pictures of the front and back images of both boxes, I think. They also have the correct information - it's 16:9 ratio and looks quite nice on TV. The episodes are basically exactly the same as the ones that aired on SBS, right down to the episode previews and so on. Nothing cut, but no extras, either. The subs are good quality; I went through about 5 episodes and was pretty happy with what I saw.

Considering the price, I would have expected better packaging, but I LOVED the drama, so I'm just super happy to have my own copy to rewatch. Hope that helps you with your decision!

edit; Oh yeah, I should probably let you know that the whole transaction with Hanbooks was smooth and super easy. I also got it in the mail in exactly a week, and I live in Australia. The only problem I had was that 2 of the clear DVD boxes in volume 1 were actually cracked. They were broken originally, inside the cardboard box which was shrinkwrapped. I was pretty annoyed and emailed them about it, and they refunded me some money so that I can replace the DVD boxes (they were the clear cases, so all I had to do was take out the printed cover and slip it in the new one). That was a one time problem where it was probably broken during original packaging in Korea, but still, thought I'd mention it!

Guest kazenai

I bought it! I was going to take photos and show everyone, but I got too lazy to do it, haha. And they came in super plain amaray format (super plain as in the discs were in your average clear DVD boxes, with a printed cover slipped in the front), so it wasn't really worth taking photos of. I'd keep that in mind so that you don't buy it and end up disappointed!

So, basically there are two volumes, each with 9 discs (2 dvds in each DVD box) held in two 3-sided cardboard holders. DVDasian has pictures of the front and back images of both boxes, I think. They also have the correct information - it's 16:9 ratio and looks quite nice on TV. The episodes are basically exactly the same as the ones that aired on SBS, right down to the episode previews and so on. Nothing cut, but no extras, either. The subs are good quality; I went through about 5 episodes and was pretty happy with what I saw.

Considering the price, I would have expected better packaging, but I LOVED the drama, so I'm just super happy to have my own copy to rewatch. Hope that helps you with your decision!

edit; Oh yeah, I should probably let you know that the whole transaction with Hanbooks was smooth and super easy. I also got it in the mail in exactly a week, and I live in Australia. The only problem I had was that 2 of the clear DVD boxes in volume 1 were actually cracked. They were broken originally, inside the cardboard box which was shrinkwrapped. I was pretty annoyed and emailed them about it, and they refunded me some money so that I can replace the DVD boxes (they were the clear cases, so all I had to do was take out the printed cover and slip it in the new one). That was a one time problem where it was probably broken during original packaging in Korea, but still, thought I'd mention it!

That sound like my kinda boxset... I kinda don't like when they cut out the preview and freezing frame because that's what makes me wanna keeps watching ? right down to the ending music or song !

I might buy it for my family since they will like it :o

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ishida21

Did anybody know if the movie "Oishii Man" with Lee Min-ki and Ikewaki Chizuru will be released on DVD? I think the movie hit the theater in February and still, no news about it. I checked on Madmad and Yes Asia, but we can only find the OST.

Is this the only set available at the moment? I'd love to get my hands on this series as well.

Guest kazenai

Is this the only set available at the moment? I'd love to get my hands on this series as well.

Yeah, it's teh only original set available and the price on hanbook is actually 199....More expensive than 2 volumes of an MBC drama boxset. lol I think SBS thinks they are all that...

Yeah, it's teh only original set available and the price on hanbook is actually 199....More expensive than 2 volumes of an MBC drama boxset. lol I think SBS thinks they are all that...

Lol, I think they think so too! But I'm going to splurge and buy it because I love this drama! I just hope the subs are close to great. I don't mind about the packaging.

Guest kazenai

Lol, I think they think so too! But I'm going to splurge and buy it because I love this drama! I just hope the subs are close to great. I don't mind about the packaging.

If you do end up buying it, msg me since GLORY FS needs timing sheets for the soft subs, the timing process is slow, so we are looking for the dvd's subs for timing.

Hanjae said the english subs in it are pretty good, so it should be readable lol!

If you live outside the US/Canada, you can purchase the DVD (Japanese version), which has NO ENG SUBS, on Yesasia's Global site, HERE <--- click on link to the movie's DVD page @ yesasia

So far, only the Japanaese DVD version is coming out. I hope we'll see a Korean version w/ E-subs. I would have purchased the Japanese version in a heartbeat if there were E-subs. Japanese DVDs are expensive, and I'm already purchasing 2 other Japanese DVDs of Min Ki's.

Did anybody know if the movie "Oishii Man" with Lee Min-ki and Ikewaki Chizuru will be released on DVD? I think the movie hit the theater in February and still, no news about it. I checked on Madmad and Yes Asia, but we can only find the OST.

Guest Ishida21

If you live outside the US/Canada, you can purchase the DVD (Japanese version), which has NO ENG SUBS, on Yesasia's Global site, HERE <--- click on link to the movie's DVD page @ yesasia

So far, only the Japanaese DVD version is coming out. I hope we'll see a Korean version w/ E-subs. I would have purchased the Japanese version in a heartbeat if there were E-subs. Japanese DVDs are expensive, and I'm already purchasing 2 other Japanese DVDs of Min Ki's.

Thank You creidesca for the answer (and the pm too ^_^). I failed to find anything on Yes Asia because I used only "Oishii Man" as the title, my mistake...

Too bad the DVD has no English subtitles, however.

Guest kazenai

i'm sorry if this has been asked before but has anybody bought from http://www.minhtan.com before? ^^

thanks!

Hmm they sell only 'Asia' Editions of all korean sets. The Malaysian sets might have 'okay' subs. I don't think the viet editions are legal ,then again I don't follow license news from those companies. Spend your money wisely... I've never bought anything there...it seems to be centralized in Vietnam.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone here own Story of a Man / The Slingshot? Can you confirm that it doesn't play on region 1 DVD players? My current player cannot be unlocked, unfortunately.

Guest Ishida21

^

The DVDs of Story of a Man don't play with region 1 and 2 players, but region 3 - 6 are okay.

I have actually the box set of this drama even if my computer plays only region 2 DVDs but I can watch it if I use such program like AnyDVD who unlock this limit.

I even converted the Bonus DVD of the drama and post the download links in his soompi's thread ^_^.

If you search on google there are ways to unlock dvd players and make them play all regions. I unlocked my LG Dvd player with the instructions I found in a website, I just had to type some numbers with the remote control. It worked fine, now I'm able to play dvd of any region.

Anyway...

I bought the korean limited edition (the one that comes with a notebook and some family cards -by the way what are those cards for?) of 'Boys Over Flowers'. Here are some of my thoughts about this dvd boxset:

- I loved the package of this DVD Boxset, it's very pretty!

- The DVD menus are nothing special (every disc has the same simple graphics on the main menu, it only changes the F4 and Jandi picture) and all options are written in korean so if you don't know korean you'll feel a bit lost in the beggining not knowing where to click.

- the audio and video quality are great (but I watched it on a old and small TV)

- As usual the Bonus features were not subbed :(

- All episodes have english subtitles like you all know. The good thing is that they subbed the previews that play after each episode. Remember some episodes when aired on TV showed NGs instead of the preview of next episode? On the DVDs it's the same and they subbed all NGs! :)

- I was disapointed with the english subs, the translations were very raw and summarized most of the time. I know that when making subtitles you can't make a literal or super detailed translation because of the number of lines and timing, but still it was disapointed how they summarized a lot some lines. It was also annoying how they translated all Jun Pyo's wrong korean proverbs to the correct english proverb instead of translating in a way that the viewer would know Jun Pyo spoke the proverbs incorrecly. :/

The subs are okay, but definetely not worth the high price you pay for this boxset.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived