K-dramas On Dvds - Oh For The Love Of Boxsets!

Guest shred

Guest xdementiax

I bought from scarecrow once before. They sent the package within a day or two without any issues. As for yesasia, they are highly trustworthy as they are probably the biggest asian online retailer out there.

Thanks for responding gendavinci. I mostly order from yesasia as well, but scarecrow has a better price for the geum-soon series; I'll probably order from them. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Qi Luo

So what do you guys things?

Do you think that even if YA release a dvd boxset of 'Boys over flowers' will it ever be as good or have more special features than this one released by KBS? Or is there any chance of KBS releasing a better version of this boxset later?

I want to buy this dvd but I'm unsure if I should buy it now or wait a new version...

Ah! Has anyone bought from hanbooks.com ?

• 4 weeks later...

So what do you guys things?

Do you think that even if YA release a dvd boxset of 'Boys over flowers' will it ever be as good or have more special features than this one released by KBS? Or is there any chance of KBS releasing a better version of this boxset later?

I want to buy this dvd but I'm unsure if I should buy it now or wait a new version...

Ah! Has anyone bought from hanbooks.com ?

I emailed YAentertainment and Tom replied back

Hi TKna,

Thank you for your email. Yes, we will be subbing and releasing 'BOYS OVER

FLOWERS.' Our DVD should be ready by September. (we had some delays in

getting the US rights from the Korean production company).

Thank you!

Tom

Yes cannot wait...will be saving my money for their copy...even though it is a long wait ahehe.

to be released in mid-July 2009: The Slingshot/Story of a Man, with ENG SUBS by ENE Media! Region 3 to 6. 7 discs. There will be extra features (but no idea what).

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3955/dvd0552231.jpg

HELL YES!!!! HOLY SH#$!! sorry my french, I WILL BUY THIS SET!!! Gotta start saving now. OMG that makes my day sooo much brighter =D!

Guest kazenai

^ Korean boxsets are always more stylish , I wish MBC America adopted the stylish digipak for there dvds :(

anyway here's an update on YA Entertainment's releases :

All release dates are subject to change.

Forever Yours- July 28, 2009

Sunlight Upon Me- September 2009

You Are My Destiny- October 2009

Boys Over Flowers- November 2009

As you can see, YA has finally gotten the license to puplish Boys Over Flowers.

imo, BOF & YAMD are the most 'wantable' for a lot of people.

Now, let us hope that YA starts taking more daily dramas (as they picked up YAMD) such as Likable or Not, Temptation of Wife, or I Love You Don't Cry.

I also want to see some sitcoms :(

On another hand, East of Eden vol.2 is out on dvdasian.com (but not on MBC America dvd shop ????)

_1245075741.jpg_1245075742.jpg

Once again, Lee Yeon Hee is not on the cover and I'm guessing she won't be on the cover of any individual dvd either. *sob* MBC America is so mean.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Elusive

Is anyone else here seeing some of YAE's past releases in Blu-ray? I emailed Tom about it a couple months ago and he said he had plans to meet with an Asian company this summer to discuss costs and he will find out then if it was feasible.

I would love to see some of the dramas in HD on my TV.

i asked TOM if he can consider Family Honor-a 54 epis weekend drama..i would love to have a dvd set with english subs..i think it will a be a good idea to take projects that are hard to find subtitles..especially the ones that are not being sub online..

Guest Qi Luo

does anyone knows a good online store that sells PMP entertainment dvd releases?

I've only found it in ebay, but still it's very hard to find.

I want to buy 'Who Are You?' with eng subs and I heard they released one dvd box of this serie with eng subs. Does anyone knows other company that released this drama with eng subs?

i asked TOM if he can consider Family Honor-a 54 epis weekend drama..i would love to have a dvd set with english subs..i think it will a be a good idea to take projects that are hard to find subtitles..especially the ones that are not being sub online..

Me too :) I would love to have this Family Honor DVD set to keep. This is one of the best TV Series. I love it :P

Will someone please post a current list of reliable sites to purchase good quality Korean Dramas...I recently purchased from dsdvds.com (Dim Sum DVDs). This site rates the subtitles, i.e., English - Excellent, Good, Average. I purchased KDramas listed as excellent and good English

but when I played them every drama was fine until you got to the last couple of disk. The names were changed to Chinese names so it made it hard to follow who was who and the grammar was so poor. I contacted twice and as of today still have not received a reply.

Guest kazenai

Will someone please post a current list of reliable sites to purchase good quality Korean Dramas...I recently purchased from dsdvds.com (Dim Sum DVDs). This site rates the subtitles, i.e., English - Excellent, Good, Average. I purchased KDramas listed as excellent and good English

but when I played them every drama was fine until you got to the last couple of disk. The names were changed to Chinese names so it made it hard to follow who was who and the grammar was so poor. I contacted twice and as of today still have not received a reply.

Do not buy any drama box set that has the "QQ" label nor mandarin sub and dub. Unfortunately it does not seem like you'll be able to return it or anything. These dvds are the poorest :(

dsdvds.com mainly/only sells the chinese (unlicensed) copies of dramas. Which is why all of the dramas have the SBS, KBS, MBC logo on the video, and the mini announcenments.

Reliable website list is available on the first page.

Guest Qi Luo

How to avoid buying bootlegs

The best way to avoid buying bootlegs is by not buying boxsets that are around 15-25 dollars and that have chinese subtitles or chinese dub. Also check the cover of the original boxset version by searching trusted online stores like yesasia and also the publishers that have the rights to release these boxsets (check the links bellow). Normally the bootlegs have a cover slightly or completely different from the original vesion. If the covers are the same or very similar, you'll notice that bootlegs have at least something in chinese written on the cover.

Sellers will always label their bootlegs as being chinese version or korean version released by MBC, SBS, KBS or whatever, but remember: korean version or the versions released by the broadcast companies are never sold for less than 50 dollars and they NEVER come with stuff in chinese written on the cover. Sometimes yesasia sells YAEntertainment boxsets for low prices like 19-40 dollars, but most of the dramas boxsets that have these huge discounts on yesasia entertainment are the less popular or old dramas. I'm also pretty sure that the original licenced (not bootleg) released in China or Hong Kong is also more expensive than 15-25 dollars, so if you want to check if it's the original licensed version released in China or Hong Kong, you should search a trusted online to see if the drama you're trying to buy was released wish chinese subs or chinese dub, if they were released and they're sold in yesasia, check the cover and compare to see if it's the same, if it's not the same cover listed on yesasia website, the dvd sold by the seller is probably a bootleg.

To see if a drama was originally released with eng subs and also to check the cover, package and specifications of the original dvd releases to compare to the one you're buying, you can check if they're listed on these websites:

Publishers that release the original (and licensed) kdramas DVDs with eng subs (Not bootlegs!):

Here's a link of the publishers of the kdrama dvds with eng subs. They all have the rights to release these kdramas which means that their releases are all original!

Published by the broadcast companies:

For MBC's Dramas -

http://www.mbc24tv.com/?mid=dvd

http://www.mbcdvd.com/home.php

For KBS's Dramas -

http://www.kbs-america.com/product/index.php

For SBS's Dramas -

http://www.sbs-int.com/eng/x_bbs/e_bbs_dvd.asp?smnu=34

Published and licensed for America:

by YAEntertainment: http://www.yaentertainment.com/

Published and licensed for Malaysia:

by PMP Entertainment: http://www.pmp-entertainment.com/

Published and licensed for Singapure:

by Innoform - http://www.innoform.com.sg/productListing....ma&subcat=A

by BlueMax - http://www.bluemax.com.sg/

by PohKim - http://www.pohkim.com.sg/Pohkim_asp/Home/Index.asp?LangId=1

Published and licensed by Korean companies:

I don't know the links of the companies that release the dvd box sets to South Korea, but if you want to check the specifications of their releases and also to check the covers and design of the boxsets released by Korean companies you can search this korean store Link or this Link, search using the korean title of the drama. Then click and check the pics of the boxset and specifications of the dvd box to see if it was released with eng subtitles. You can use Babelfish to translate the page to english.

Reasons to not buy bootlegs

Besides the obvious reason: we shouldn't help the piracy because all profit from selling bootlegs are used to finance crimes like drug trafficking, child exploitation and other big crimes. Also the people that worked hard creating the drama, the actors, the writers, directors, staff, etc doesn't earn money from the bootlegs sold. And etc... etc... etc... Just search in google and you'll find lots of articles about piracy.

But if you don't care about the obvious reason and you just want to watch a kdrama, it's still a risk to buy these bootlegs because it's always a 'hit or miss' and most of the time it's a 'miss'. According to people that already bought bootlegs, most of the bootlegs have bad subtitles, specially the ones of dramas that were never officially released with eng subs by companies that have the rights to release the dramas. The english subtitles are so bad, that you can't even understand it, it's like the eng subs translations was made with those online translators. The picture quality isn't always good on bootlegs because sometimes they even use a low quality raw (when the drama has just finished airing) or they use those raws downloaded on internet. Although the design of the covers might look good (some even have the shiny names printed on it), the package of bootlegs are always bad, the discs come inside a very fragile plastic box-keepcase (check the pic of the 'palace' bootleg boxset) and the discs come inside plastic envelopes. Besides that, the dvd discs are fragile. Some people even said the dvd discs sometimes comes with scratches or even fingerprint marks on them even when the boxset comes unopened. Although sometimes bootlegs are copy from the dvds of the original boxset releases and comes with okay english subs, but don't fool yourself by this because most bootlegs aren't like that. If you buy 10 dvd bootlegs of different korean dramas, the chances are that only 2-3 have good subs or doesn't have problems with the discs.

We know sometimes (or better saying, most times) the original, licensed kdrama boxsets are expensive, but at least you know you're paying for something that has good subs and good package. Besides that, you know you have guarantees and you can always complain with the publisher if your boxset came with any problem. And with bootlegs you have no guarantee at all.

PIctures of bootlegs and original boxsets

My girl bootleg

Audio: chinese, korean; Subs: eng, chinese / Average price: 18-25 dollars:

mggggg.jpg

My girl Licensed version (YA Entertainment)

Audio: korean; Subs: eng / Average price: 29-60 dollars

mygirlhe4.jpg

My Girl Licensed version to Malaysia (PMP Entertainment):

Audio: Korean, Mandarin; Subs: Chinese, English, Malay / Average price: 25-40 dollars

9ac01.jpg

Palace Bootleg

Audio: chinese, korean; Subs: eng, chinese / Average price: 18-25 dollars:

odsc03051.jpg

Palace Licensed version to USA (YA Entertainment)

Audio: Korean; Subs: English / Average price: 50-100 dollars:

princesshoursdvd.jpg

Palace Licensed version to Malaysia (PMP Entertainment):

Audio: Korean, Mandarin; Subs: Chinese, English, Malay / Average price: 25-40 dollars

princesshoursfront.jpg

You can check the covers & package of original and licensed dvd box sets on this great site: http://beautifulthingsinlife.blogspot.com/

Do not buy any drama box set that has the "QQ" label nor mandarin sub and dub. Unfortunately it does not seem like you'll be able to return it or anything. These dvds are the poorest :(

dsdvds.com mainly/only sells the chinese (unlicensed) copies of dramas. Which is why all of the dramas have the SBS, KBS, MBC logo on the video, and the mini announcenments.

Reliable website list is available on the first page.

Thanks, kazenai and Qi Luo.

May I know what is "QQ" label?

Guest kdramafanusa

I was wondering if any of us here ordered from Sensasian.com before? They have several out-of-print movies that I couldn't find anywhere else, but I had bad experiences dealing with some online stores so I thought I would ask here first.

(1) Are the items listed as Korean Version (on their site) really made in Korea? I ordered from another store in Malaysia a while back, I was sent bootlegs (very obvious) instead.

(2) How about Shipping method? Their site says that they are not responsible for lost packages sent via International Air Mail (more affordable method). :(

Express Courier is pricey...

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Archived