K-dramas On Dvds - Oh For The Love Of Boxsets!

Guest shred

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shred

anyone else got the Over the Rainbow DVDs?

hate to say it ... but the packaging is fugly :sweatingbullets:

haven't checked the subs yet ... might watch it tomorrow.

i checked the special features. is it just me or there really aren't any subs on the NGs? :huh:

anyone else got the Over the Rainbow DVDs?

hate to say it ... but the packaging is fugly :sweatingbullets:

haven't checked the subs yet ... might watch it tomorrow.

i checked the special features. is it just me or there really aren't any subs on the NGs? :huh:

chula, would you mind providing pictures? And I hope you're not right...

Guest shred

creidesca, here are the pics:

otr2.jpg

now that i think about it ... my lovely samsoon's packaging wasn't that impressive either.

i liked YA's packaging for goong - i thought they were going to do that way for upcoming releases. (but it's still not as pretty as korean dvds, eh?!)

Guest cunho

I saw the DVD boxset of the serie LOVERS made by SBS with english sub will be release 08 juin 2007 at dvdasian site ! What a good new ! I've waited long time for it .

http://www.dvdasian.com/images/24907.3.jpg

Lovers: Korean TV Drama (Region-3) (7 DVD Box)

Your Price: $99.95

Retail Price: $129.99 You Save: $30.04

Starring: Kim Jeong-Eun, Lee Seo-Jin, Jeong Chan

Director: Shin Wu-Cheol

Studio: SBS Production (Korea)

Rating: NR

Genre: Drama(TV)

Lovers: Korean TV Drama (Region-3) (7 DVD Box)

Audio Format: DD 2.0

Video Format: Widescreen 1.85:1 (Anamorphic)

Languages: Korean

Subtitles: English

Country Made: Korea

Region Code: 3

Year Made: 2007

Running Time:

Special Features:

Guest shred

I'm reposting this bit of info relayed by Sayonara on the Hawaii K-drama Fans discussion board, regarding to the YA Entertainment release of Spring Waltz:

You know why this version is 11 dvds [referring to the Korea released e-subbed DVD set]. I'm guessing this must be the real unedited version shown in KBS in Korea.

Why do I say that because the 7 DVD version from YA Ent. is a really bad edited version if you compare it to the HD rips that were fan-subbed. Of course I have not seen the Korean Dvd box set that comes on 11 DVDs. But if you want to compare the Spring Waltz YA Ent. Dvd box set with the HD Rip episodes with fan subs you would think you are watching this on KBFD with all missing scenes.

Here is a comparison of the first 4 episodes of YA. ENT. Dvd box set and the first 4 episodes of the HD Ripped episodes. I even took out the end credits on the HD Rips. Updated at 8:49pm and added all the episode lengths.

Spring Waltz YA ENT. Dvd Box Set Episode Length Run Times:

1. 51:03

2. 51:20

3. 50:36

4. 50:01

5. 49:48

6. 50:05

7. 50:52

8. 50:24

9. 50:12

10. 50:06

11. 51:19

12. 50:00

13. 50:00

14. 51:11

15. 51:23

16. 50:58

17. 51:13

18. 51:58

19. 50:36

20. 51:53

HD Rips from KBS2 Fan Sub Episode Length Run Times:

1. 57:08

2. 61:10

3. 65:00

4. 55:10

5. 59:46

6. 55:37

7. 59:30

8. 55:50

9. 57:52

10. 59:56

11. 60:05

12. 62:30

13. 60:30

14. 62:00

15. 63:03

16. 60:06

17. 62:50

18. 62:12

19. 62:04

20. 60:04

I tell you some of the edits you probably wouldn't even catch unless you watch this drama before. I mean 10 seconds here, 20 seconds there, etc. But when it comes to episode 3 look out. There is a big 12 minute cut. And another 3 minute one at the end. And get this the way the episode 3 ends on the dvd set is the Korean boy and girl are grown up and the guy is playing the piano and there is a huge applause. Then you see a older girl sitting at the bottom of these elegant stairs. So this is the end of the 3rd episode on the DVD box set from YA. You do not see this scene until the 23rd minute mark of the 4th episode of the HD Ripped episode that has been fan subbed. I almost dropped off my chair. Also in both version at the same scenes sometimes you will have vocals with the background music and the DVD set will have no vocals. One time there was the song My Darling Clementine being sung in a scene from the DVD box set but not on the hd rip fan sub episode version. What did they show 2 different version of this drama in Korea?

I would say save your money and pass on YA ENT. version. But that is just my opinion. Or get the one from Korea although I have no idea how good the english subs are. Better yet get the free fan sub version with menus that has been floating around on the net for months now.

I am really looking to see a response from someone and you all know who that is. Hope this does not happen to Jumong.

just a follow up on this. i'm sure some of you have probably heard about it but i'll just post it here. Tom Larsen's explanation for Spring Waltz

---------------------------------

This is Tom Larsen from YA Entertainment. I'm sure I have had contact in the past with many of you who frequent this forum (either through emails, phone, or in-person contact). I want to say thank you again for all your support and suggestions over the past 4 years. I am happy and honored to count many of you as my personal friends.

As most of you know, I am just a regular guy who happened to live in Korea for a few years in the early 1990s. I fell in love with the Korean culture... and I love watching Korean TV drama mini-series. It has been my dream to share the Korean culture with mainstream America, and in 1995 it hit me that importing and distributing Korean TV dramas in the US (with English subtitles) was the best way to accomplish that mission. And here we are. It hasn't been easy. It's still not easy. But it's a lot of fun, and I think we are making good progress. I am just doing my best.

Now about Spring Waltz:

We released our DVD version of Spring Waltz last week. This was the first time that we (YAE) have worked with Mr. Yoon (Producer/Director of Spring Waltz). He is an amazing person, and a delight to work with. His staff sent us the "master source tapes" for Spring Waltz, we created the English subtitles, designed the DVD packaging, and we released our DVD. Then, we (YAE) started to receive emails last week stating that our version was an edited version. So I inquired to Mr. Yoon about it. Indeed, Mr. Yoon said he was not fully satisfied with the version of Spring Waltz that originally aired in Korea. He himself further edited Spring Waltz more to his liking for international distribution (if Korean citizens in Korea weren't so excited about it, he did not want to make the same mistake overseas). He wanted international audiences to see his best final version, not the version that garnered low ratings in Korea. Understandable. So any legitimate international distributor of Spring Waltz will distribute the same international version as YAE's version. In fact, when Spring Waltz is re-played on TV in Korea (re-run), as I understand it, this new international version will be used instead of the original version. I know it sounds weird, but in this specific case, the "Director's Cut" is actually shorter than the original. Of course it would have been nice for us to know these details beforehand, but nonetheless YAE is honored to release the Spring Waltz version that Mr. Yoon himself edited and approved. We will release another drama produced by Mr. Yoon in the near future ("The Snow Queen"). I shared with him all your complaints about Spring Waltz (Korean production companies are still learning about foreign markets), and for "The Snow Queen" there will not be an edited version for international audiences (just one version for everyone).

Please understand that YAE has never edited any of the master source tapes for any Korean TV drama title that we have acquired from any Korean studio over the past 4 years. We release to the public exactly what we get from the studios. We have absolutely no reason (or time) to edit the wonderful programs.

Please don't worry... Spring Waltz is a freak isolated incident. Not only do we never cut or edit the dramas ourselves, we always try our best to add special features (not easy). For example, we will include a hard-copy Reference Guide in Jumong Volumes 1 and 3, and the final Jumong volume (Volume 4) will include about 40 minutes of interviews, behind-the-scenes, etc (all with English subtitles). I really hope you enjoy it.

For those of you who purchased our Spring Waltz DVD set and totally hate it, please contact Katie (katie.flanagan@yaentertainment.com). We will try our best to brighten your day.

Please feel free to email Katie and me anytime. I'm concerned that some of you said we have not been responsive to recent emails. We ALWAYS do our best to respond to EVERYONE within 48 hours. We truly enjoy hearing from you. We appreciate all your requests, complaints, and suggestions.

I will check back here in a few days to answer any follow up questions you may have.

Thank you.

Tom

---------------------------

and then he has updates for Winter Sonata ...

For Winter Sonata, our version will be exactly the same as the "Korea version" produced by KBS Media in the past. In fact, we received our "source tapes" directly from KBS. I am not personally familiar with all the details about all the older versions that have been released over the past few years. I know there have been prior releases from Bitwin, KBS Media, KTE, and a few others. So I don't know if those versions were edited in any way, and I don't know how our version will compare with those versions specifically. KBS told me that our source tapes are the exact same versions as they used for their release in the past. However, we are adding two very important features to our US version:

1. The "master source tapes" we received from KBS included about 59 minutes of "special features" (interviews, NGs, etc). However, those "special features" were not subtitled in English. Our version will have English subtitles for those "special features." Yeah!

2. We will include a hard-copy booklet inside our DVD set. It will contain some background info about Mr. Yoon, BYJ, CJW, and Winter Sonata's role in "Hanryu/Hallyu."

Because of these two enhancements, we will call our Winter Sonata a "Special Edition."

BTW, one of our upcoming releases for July is "Someday." I am personally very excited about it. Is there a thread on this forum for "Someday?" Just curious. I want to know what other people think about "Someday."

Have a great day! Sue-go-ha-ship-shi-yo

Tom

source: hawaii k-drama fans board

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the set and the English subs and picture quality are very good. Comes with the OST.

that's good to hear since sbs subs tends to be average compare to YA/biwin/kbs releases.

im still sourgraping abt the eng subs on my girl..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bliss_

I have a question. Is it possible for me to order a DVD set from Yesasia but the credit card I will be using is from my aunt who is in the States? I'm from Canada btw and I used my account to order. I called them up to ask but I'm still kinda iffy about the whole thing. Has anyone done this before?

They just sent me an email asking for an authorization code for credit card verification. Is this a normal procedure?

I hope someone can enlighten me regarding this. THANKS!

I have a question. Is it possible for me to order a DVD set from Yesasia but the credit card I will be using is from my aunt who is in the States? I'm from Canada btw and I used my account to order. I called them up to ask but I'm still kinda iffy about the whole thing. Has anyone done this before?

They just sent me an email asking for an authorization code for credit card verification. Is this a normal procedure?

I hope someone can enlighten me regarding this. THANKS!

It should be possible, as I use my mom's CC to order from Yesasia in conjunction with my Yesasia acct.

You just need to make sure you fill out the CC info correctly, and the billing address be your aunt's, while the shipping address be yours.

Guest bliss_

It should be possible, as I use my mom's CC to order from Yesasia in conjunction with my Yesasia acct.

You just need to make sure you fill out the CC info correctly, and the billing address be your aunt's, while the shipping address be yours.

Phew! That's good to hear! I was just being paranoid. I was scared that they might sue me or something.

But do you know about the authorization number part? I tried calling them but the lines are still busy. I'm going to try to call them again later.

Phew! That's good to hear! I was just being paranoid. I was scared that they might sue me or something.

But do you know about the authorization number part? I tried calling them but the lines are still busy. I'm going to try to call them again later.

could it be the the last 3 or 4 digits at the back of the card they're referring to (depending on the credit card you use)?

Guest bliss_

I was able to get a hold of someone and asked about it. The authorization code is different from the 3 or 4 digits at the back of the card. You just need to ask it from your credit card company and send it to YesAsia. So it's all good now. I'm just waiting for my aunt to send it to me. I can't wait to get my original Goong DVD set. I hope I won't be disappointed with my purchase. :D

Guest bshater1

does anyone know if Yesasia will be releasing Heo Jun(The Legendary Doctor Hur Joon!) w/ english subtitles? seems like its only available on Dvdfromkorea.com. heard really great things about this drama.

Archived