K-dramas On Dvds - Oh For The Love Of Boxsets!

Guest shred

Guest karkaren88

guys i'm confused..

y'all are talking about buying DVD sets of korean dramas right? nut why is there a difference between YesAsia version or the SBS version or KBS? isn't it the same??

like i read from one post saying that she will buy the SBS version of MY Girl instead of the YesAsia version.. i'm confused about that, isn't MY GIRL was under the SBS network?

can you guys enlighten me what is the difference between these different versions od DVD boxsets??

all i want is to buy the original/official DVD boxsets of my favorite korean drama with english subtitles

like GOONG, MY GIRL, WHICH STAR ARE YOU FROM, MY NAME IS KIM SAMSOON to name a few

sorry for the long post... but i'm really :wacko: THANKS

I've always liked to buy the original /official DVD sets becos it's with better eng subs, n mostly with special features... fr what I knew, they dont' usu eng sub the Bts/ngs/intereviews in the sp features :( not even the Yesasia version..

anybody got idea of when the official DVd copy of Which Star Are You From (starring Kim Rae Won n Jung Ryeo Won) comes out? ^ __ ^

it's been past 2 months alreadi...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I posted this before but it got eaten when we had the problem with the forums last week:

Does anyone know why the DVD set of "Alone in Love" is not available at either of the YesAsia sites? Are they planning on releasing that one as well?

thanks creidesca. Weird, I can't get YesAsia to load right now, but last week when I looked for the set for some reason the had it listed as sold out or unavailable from the manufacturer ….

looks like there's a US release with ENGLISH SUBS for MBC's Ireland, from KDT America (in association w/ MBC America likely)...the set also has Japanese subtitles.

h_20060727_001_001.jpg

h20060727001002rh2.jpg

h20060727001003og4.jpg

the KDT DVD set w/ ENG SUBS for Special of My Life is also being released.

I'm guessing those dramas that YA Entertainment doesn't decide to take up, MBC America will release it under KDT America.

Soon to be released on DVD with ENG SUBS

Immortal Yi Soon Shin VOL 1, Vol 2+ OST

iayssv1bd7.jpg

iayssv2ob9.jpg

I don't know how they manage to take the 104 episode drama and edit it so that they could make a 33 episode set.

The OST comes along w/ VOL 2.

• 3 weeks later...

^yes i just saw it too..boo hoo..are they trying to deceive us..i got really excited but now ahhh quite disppointed..i guess it's really difficult to get the rights for the extras..but oh well i would still buy it..i was disappointed on the sbs version i bought--the english was giving me headache (at least it's not a migraine).

^yes i just saw it too..boo hoo..are they trying to deceive us..i got really excited but now ahhh quite disppointed..i guess it's really difficult to get the rights for the extras..but oh well i would still buy it..i was disappointed on the sbs version i bought--the english was giving me headache (at least it's not a migraine).

ya, same here! those subs are a major disappointment. That's why I refuse to buy another big set until I've gotten a good review of the subs. Unfortunately, there were some people in the "My Girl" thread who seemed to think the SBS subs were pretty good, so I bought on their recommendation. I guess there's no way to know for sure. Unfortunately, that means dropping like $100. Or, hoping you can find a place to rent the discs first!

• 2 weeks later...

^tiramisu--just beware of sbs production...my "my girl" dvd set didn't have excellent subs..i mean it's understable but for the price im paying-i expected at least good subs not average..

but yeah just keep in mind that sbs subs tend to be average compare to bitwin and yesasia versions..

Guest princesshour

Hi!.

Here's a new website for selling Korea DVD Drama and it ship internationally.

www.princesshour.com/dvd.php

^^ princesshour, i don't believe those are officially licenced versions from YA, MBC, SBS, or KBS.

^tiramisu--just beware of sbs production...my "my girl" dvd set didn't have excellent subs..i mean it's understable but for the price im paying-i expected at least good subs not average..

but yeah just keep in mind that sbs subs tend to be average compare to bitwin and yesasia versions..

thanks, clauric! i think i've read some previous posts in this thread (probably from you) about SBS' version of My Girl having subs that were lesser in quality than expected. I, too, expect more from them. I initiially wanted to buy it, but then decided to wait for YA's version because they tend to be slightly cheaper, excellent subs, and they're Region 1 (so my parents can watch too, and they don't have an all-region dvd player).

I have a few SBS version sets... All In, Law Firm, and Lovers in Paris had decent subs, but Fashion 70s was quite average (disappointing, especially since the set was over $130 or so when it was first released!)

However, I don't think YA will buy rights and sub Seo Dong Yo. It's a 54 episode drama, and didn't score ratings as high as Dae Jang Geum, so it's unlikely YA will invest in this one. I absolutely adore Jo Hyun Jae and Lee Bo Young together... and I love watching historical dramas in general, so I will probably end up buying anyway.

Good subs or not... I feel like it's probably better to just learn Korean. I've been trying to learn for the last couple years, and have slightly improved, but I still need subs. I can figure out what's going on some of the time, though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

hi, anyone know where can I buy "yellow handkerchief" dvd

I tried all the link listed in the first page but nothing comes out.

It would be nice if it have english sub but if not available chinese sub with chinese audio please.

Suh Dong Yoh how many will yesasia release? will they divide it into two part or three?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for YA's release of Goong and I'm really worried that they will be releasing this in fullscreen.

Just wondering, have YA ever released a drama in widescreen? I can deal with my copies of My Girl and MLSS being in fullscreen but with a drama as gorgeous as Goong it hurts more. I hate fullscreen. Honestly, I'd rather have 16:9 aspect ratio than extras, no question about it.

I'm waiting for YA's release of Goong and I'm really worried that they will be releasing this in fullscreen.

Just wondering, have YA ever released a drama in widescreen? I can deal with my copies of My Girl and MLSS being in fullscreen but with a drama as gorgeous as Goong it hurts more. I hate fullscreen. Honestly, I'd rather have 16:9 aspect ratio than extras, no question about it.

i don't think YA has released a drama in widescreen. i was wondering too about Goong. that's why i could never delete the episodes i downloaded from clubbox ... just in case YA's version is full screen *ugh*

question: for those who purchased the Alone In Love set ... how are the subs?

and i've been desperately looking for MISA DVDs ... but it's out of stock everywhere. i hope they'll release more soon. i now regret that i didn't buy the set back then :(

Archived