[drama 2007] Lobbyist 로비스트

Guest Soy

Well I think illegal immigrants can obtain permanent residency under certain circumstances. I guess Eva got hers first and than also applied for the rest of the family. But I am no expert :rolleyes:

this is one thing which has been perplexing me. i'm on episode 8 right now and i can't help but think of how were they able to get permanent residency and u.s. citizenship. when you are sworn as a u.s. citizen you pledge allegiance and loyalty to the flag, the constitution and the country (u.s.a). what the sister did(eva) is an act of treason since she passed on classified intelligence and those working in the state department, army, government are given strict investigation of their background etc.etc. in her letter to maria, she said she passed on information and did it for their country. but what is their country u.s.a or south korea? you cannot have your cake and eat it too!

i'm not korean/american but how come horror stories are always told of immigrants living in the u.s in korean dramas.surely there must be korean immigrants making good and living a meaningful life in the u.s.a. i even read of an american , son of korean immigrant, making it as a mayor in new jersey.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest degeneral

this is one thing which has been perplexing me. i'm on episode 8 right now and i can't help but think of how were they able to get permanent residency and u.s. citizenship. ... but what is their country u.s.a or south korea? you cannot have your cake and eat it too!

i'm not korean/american but how come horror stories are always told of immigrants living in the u.s in korean dramas.surely there must be korean immigrants making good and living a meaningful life in the u.s.a.

I think the answers to your questions are #1, it's a drama, and #2, it's a drama. #1 - there are tons of things in this drama that do not make any sense. I think you just have to go with it, otherwise, you will no doubt be very frustrated. As far as the USA/Korea question, it's not really made a focal point here, but many immigrants still feel deep loyalty to their birth country. I'm assuming there was an internal conflict on Eva's part that she had to deal with, but it's not really talked about in the show.

#2 - showing the horror stories is more dramatic and better TV. i don't think it's meant to paint a broad picture of eveyone's experience. for sure, many Korean Americans are doing just fine.

Guest blizzardcrush

hello all, do u know the title song that used by Harry's sister to teach dancing in episode? (i dont know which ep exactly, maybe ep 20)

thanks ^^

I think the answers to your questions are #1, it's a drama, and #2, it's a drama. #1 - there are tons of things in this drama that do not make any sense. I think you just have to go with it, otherwise, you will no doubt be very frustrated. As far as the USA/Korea question, it's not really made a focal point here, but many immigrants still feel deep loyalty to their birth country. I'm assuming there was an internal conflict on Eva's part that she had to deal with, but it's not really talked about in the show.

#2 - showing the horror stories is more dramatic and better TV. i don't think it's meant to paint a broad picture of eveyone's experience. for sure, many Korean Americans are doing just fine.

ok, i agree with you that all these things were done for dramatic purposes but surely there should be some realism injected in these dramas. one, they should have chosesn actors/actresses who are proficient and understandable in english. song il gook's english is surprisingly passable but not maria's. kim tae hee and kim sun ah could have done a better job than this actress. this actress is a ham. yes, a lot of immigrants feel loyalty and attachment to their birth country but those employed in such sensitive government departments such as the army, state, etc. etc are given through background checks etc. etc. as for the horror stories, i have yet to encounter success immigrant stories in korean tv dramas, almost always they are shown as maltreated, discriminated . but there are a lot of success stories, korean-american community is recognized as an electoral force. check out the graduates of ivy league universities and you'll see a lot of korean sounding names.

but i'm in episode 19 now, the storyline has gotten much better and i got to see song il gook dance, sing, get mauled, had a make-over now wearing to die for suits etc. i'm satisfied.

Guest degeneral

they should have chosesn actors/actresses who are proficient and understandable in english.

some of the english spoken by the Korean actors is pretty bad, but i don't think it should be a major requirement. in comparison, a lot of the scenes with non-Korean actors are really really bad, in acting and in English skills.

this actress is a ham.

this actress is HOT

some of the english spoken by the Korean actors is pretty bad, but i don't think it should be a major requirement. in comparison, a lot of the scenes with non-Korean actors are really really bad, in acting and in English skills.

this actress is HOT

she is? really..... well, it's a matter of opinion... there's something fake in her, i think she had a double lid surgery, and this is nitpicking, i don't like her teeth maybe i'm just jealous that sig pays her a lot of attention in this drama. but i agree with you the nonkorean actors in this drama were so awful, such hams. i don't think they were professional actors.re: english proficiency of korean actors, it would have been more believable and professional on part of the producers to cast those who are fluent and proficient considering that this drama series would be exported abroad. audiences abroad can also be discerning , knowledgeable and not too forgiving. to those who know better, they can come off as laughable and pathetic.

So in love with Michael........As for SIG, i tink i found him very handsome in his movie w Son Ye Jin? In this movie, he fails to entice me....HJS looks expressionless as usual bt i've always liked him....As for the female lead, i reali dont like her...

Guest camella

I have finished watching the Lobbyist and i have come to think that it would have been more effective and the impact stronger as a MOVIE. The out of context scenes made it dragging and boring. The redeeming factor is that SIG has many screen time and gave us more chances to watch and enjoy him.

I was able to watch the ending of the series and here is my thought:

The ending is somehow confusing but I tried to get the patterns and consistencies in the sequences throughout the series.

Why the ending is a dream? OK the only references that we can conclude that this is a dream is because Harry confessed to Maria that this is the kind of life he wanted for them if they quit being a lobbyist. I am also wondering how they can settle peacefully just like in the ending after killing James, because I guess they cannot prove all of his dirty works. Also, notice the slow motion effects of the frames in the ending scene… It is actually one of the bookish rules in filmmaking to indicate that it is a scene from the “memory” or a “dream”. It is sometimes employed by a sudden change in color in the cinematography to indicate surrealism but the last scene did not possess this attribute.

Why the ending is NOT a dream? Camella is correct. I’m thinking that almost throughout the whole series, logic is a little bit disarrayed and Harry survived death several times. Concluding that he was alive in the ending will at least give the series a sense of consistency. Also, he was still holding Maria in the end and the position of his body indicates that he is just unconscious. Normally, when a person died, the whole weight of his body (every single body parts like hands, head) will be attracted to the ground and Harry was not like that. So I guess Harry stayed alive in the end… If the series was consistent on logic and details since the beginning (something like Bourne Ultimatum), then the last part is indeed a dream.

But I am so touched when Harry was asking Maria what gift does she wants from him… and Maria said that she does not need any gift because Harry is the greatest gift God has given to her… SO TOUCHING! I shed some tears when she said that… This is knowing that Harry was like a Guardian Angel to her, he's always there to protect her...

Guest camella

I was able to watch the ending of the series and here is my thought:

The ending is somehow confusing but I tried to get the patterns and consistencies in the sequences throughout the series.

Why the ending is a dream? OK the only references that we can conclude that this is a dream is because Harry confessed to Maria that this is the kind of life he wanted for them if they quit being a lobbyist. I am also wondering how they can settle peacefully just like in the ending after killing James, because I guess they cannot prove all of his dirty works. Also, notice the slow motion effects of the frames in the ending scene… It is actually one of the bookish rules in filmmaking to indicate that it is a scene from the “memory” or a “dream”. It is sometimes employed by a sudden change in color in the cinematography to indicate surrealism but the last scene did not possess this attribute.

Why the ending is NOT a dream? Camella is correct. I’m thinking that almost throughout the whole series, logic is a little bit disarrayed and Harry survived death several times. Concluding that he was alive in the ending will at least give the series a sense of consistency. Also, he was still holding Maria in the end and the position of his body indicates that he is just unconscious. Normally, when a person died, the whole weight of his body (every single body parts like hands, head) will be attracted to the ground and Harry was not like that. So I guess Harry stayed alive in the end… If the series was consistent on logic and details since the beginning (something like Bourne Ultimatum), then the last part is indeed a dream.

But I am so touched when Harry was asking Maria what gift does she wants from him… and Maria said that she does not need any gift because Harry is the greatest gift God has given to her… SO TOUCHING! I shed some tears when she said that… This is knowing that Harry was like a Guardian Angel to her, he's always there to protect her...

My delighted reaction to the above, database,

You did an even better defense of the ending of Lobbyist as reality and not a dream. I was asked one question, how was Harry able to get medical treatment right away? My answer was that the ship where Harry and James had the shootout was a military/battle ship which is equipped with a lifesaving medical facilities. Maria after a short fit of crying must have sought for help. That drama never explained in past episodes how Harry and his sister (supposed to have been ran over) were treated medically to have survived without a scratch. As you indicated, it is consistent to the logic of the series.

I also enjoyed that fact that amidst the dirty game of Lobbying, romance and love truimped at the end.

My delighted reaction to the above, database,

You did an even better defense of the ending of Lobbyist as reality and not a dream. I was asked one question, how was Harry able to get medical treatment right away? My answer was that the ship where Harry and James had the shootout was a military/battle ship which is equipped with a lifesaving medical facilities. Maria after a short fit of crying must have sought for help. That drama never explained in past episodes how Harry and his sister (supposed to have been ran over) were treated medically to have survived without a scratch. As you indicated, it is consistent to the logic of the series.

I also enjoyed that fact that amidst the dirty game of Lobbying, romance and love truimped at the end.

Yup, that is what I'm thinking too... medication in the battle ship is not a problem, it should have medical facilities somewhere and knowing that a lot of people are in the ship... I was really touched by Harry's character in the series, at first he will do anything to save his sister and when Andy finally took care of her sister, then he seems to be at peace... Harry made so many sacrifices for the people he loves, Maria and his sister without even thinking that he might hurt other people indirectly because of being a lobbyist... I am not saying that he made the right choices in his life, infact he is a little bit selfish because he does not care as long as his sister and Maria are both OK. Song Il Gook made his character very natural and he "humanized" Harry so much that you will see the sweetness, hatred and a little bit corruption and darkness on him...

Guest camella

Yup, that is what I'm thinking too... medication in the battle ship is not a problem, it should have medical facilities somewhere and knowing that a lot of people are in the ship... I was really touched by Harry's character in the series, at first he will do anything to save his sister and when Andy finally took care of her sister, then he seems to be at peace... Harry made so many sacrifices for the people he loves, Maria and his sister without even thinking that he might hurt other people indirectly because of being a lobbyist... I am not saying that he made the right choices in his life, infact he is a little bit selfish because he does not care as long as his sister and Maria are both OK. Song Il Gook made his character very natural and he "humanized" Harry so much that you will see the sweetness, hatred and a little bit corruption and darkness on him...

Surely you and I enjoyed Lobbyyist. I wondered though if as a movie it would have created more impact with less out of context scenes and characters.

Archived