Road Runner / Time Warner Speed Upgrades

dot1q

Guest CK92842

Guys do me a favor, check out the modem's event diagnostics page. Type this in your web browser, 192.168.100.1 and click on diagnostics and snapshot. Reason why I'm asking is because those experiencing slow speeds you might be having some around your area. A few boroughs are affected and aren't aware.

Guest I||usi0nz
Guys do me a favor, check out the modem's event diagnostics page. Type this in your web browser, 192.168.100.1 and click on diagnostics and snapshot. Reason why I'm asking is because those experiencing slow speeds you might be having some around your area. A few boroughs are affected and aren't aware.
Here it is

Guest CK92842

So far that looks very well up to specs. Is there anything suspicious in the event log. Any critical warnings or errors?

Since you've already provided that, try this and see what returns.

Start - Run - (type) cmd - (window will pop up then type) tracert www.google.com

Note if behind a router you'll get your router's IP address first then the Earthlink server.

If you're not behind a router and directly connected then just type that first IP address. It should read 10.XX.XX.X not 192.168.0.100. Write this IP address down.

Once the tracert test is completed after 14 lines or so then see if there are any asterisks (***) where the milliseconds (ms) are listed. There should never be 3 in one line or a bunch of them showing up while running the test.

Untitled11171071872.png

Ok, so remember that IP address I mentioned to jot down. Check to see if you're losing any packets on your connection by typing this...

start - run - cmd - (type) ping -t 10.XX.XX.X <---------------- IP address to EL server. (To end test press control - C simantaneously)

This test can go on and on, let it run for about a few minutes. To be sure I let it go for 5 minutes, and did something productive like check the day's mail. If you see any packet loss then something is definitely wrong. Power cycle your connection, disconnect the modem, shut off the PC and have the modem disconnected for a full 60 seconds. Connect it once again and turn on your PC and run this once again, start-run-cmd-ping -t XX.XX.XX.X <--------- EL server again and see if anything comes up.

Guest knightvision91
Seems RR and TW is starting to upgrade download/upload speeds

Old Road Runner : 5mbps/384kbps

Old Road Runner Premium : 8mbps/512kbps

New Road Runner : 10mbps/512kbps

New Road Runner Premium : 12mbps/784kbps

83312111.png

Good times... :)

Still want FIOS though... you get faster internet, tv, and phone for less than half the price of Time Warner. Guess this upgrade will have to do for now. I'm definitely enjoying the large increase.... Hopefully for all you Comcast and Charter subscribers who have always been stuck with crappy speeds (compared to other cable companies) will see some improvement in the coming months as well.

you know whats been pissing me off tho... apparantly you live in new york and i live in new york. i have roadrunner BUT in the afternoons and evenings my connection it goes down tremendously. like while your getting 10/512 i would be getting 1/512. the thing is i dont wanna call time warner call all i do is sit through about 40 mintues of.. did you power on and off the modem? turn your computer on and off. so my response would be.. ma'am its not my computers problem and its not my modems problem. can you send a technican now? i hate time warner, just overpricing everything.

Guest I||usi0nz
So far that looks very well up to specs. Is there anything suspicious in the event log. Any critical warnings or errors?

Since you've already provided that, try this and see what returns.

Start - Run - (type) cmd - (window will pop up then type) tracert www.google.com

Note if behind a router you'll get your router's IP address first then the Earthlink server.

If you're not behind a router and directly connected then just type that first IP address. It should read 10.XX.XX.X not 192.168.0.100. Write this IP address down.

Once the tracert test is completed after 14 lines or so then see if there are any asterisks (***) where the milliseconds (ms) are listed. There should never be 3 in one line or a bunch of them showing up while running the test.

Ok, so remember that IP address I mentioned to jot down. Check to see if you're losing any packets on your connection by typing this...

start - run - cmd - (type) ping -t 10.XX.XX.X <---------------- IP address to EL server. (To end test press control - C simantaneously)

This test can go on and on, let it run for about a few minutes. To be sure I let it go for 5 minutes, and did something productive like check the day's mail. If you see any packet loss then something is definitely wrong. Power cycle your connection, disconnect the modem, shut off the PC and have the modem disconnected for a full 60 seconds. Connect it once again and turn on your PC and run this once again, start-run-cmd-ping -t XX.XX.XX.X <--------- EL server again and see if anything comes up.

Good stuff no loss packets, except I do have error logs. Critical and error.

Guest CK92842
Good stuff no loss packets, except I do have error logs. Critical and error.

Now it's my understanding that Earthlink offers DL speeds much higher than that, even so I would call them up and say what's going on? Assuming you're paying $41.95, your DL speeds shouldn't really be that low. Are you using a Toshiba or RCA cable modem? The RCAs as of late have replaced the old Tosh modems since it's Docsis 2.0 compatible unlike the Toshiba. Here are my results, gets me through just fine hosting 24 player matches on Call of Duty 3. :D

Untitled11171134044.png

84746726.png

Course, when you do get through with tech support they'll run you through the basics. IE settings, firewall etc. So do this when you have some free time to kill.

Guest I||usi0nz

^Hmm, I guess i should try to call sometime. Yeah i'm using RCA cable modem. Could it maybe I've downloaded things alot and affected the bandwidth? Either way, that's weird.

I'm assuming your using Earthlink cable aswell?

you know whats been pissing me off tho... apparantly you live in new york and i live in new york. i have roadrunner BUT in the afternoons and evenings my connection it goes down tremendously. like while your getting 10/512 i would be getting 1/512. the thing is i dont wanna call time warner call all i do is sit through about 40 mintues of.. did you power on and off the modem? turn your computer on and off. so my response would be.. ma'am its not my computers problem and its not my modems problem. can you send a technican now? i hate time warner, just overpricing everything.

I had to powercycle my modem once to get the updated speeds. I've never had slowdown issues with RR. I was always able to pull my maximum rate at any give point in a day. It's possible that you have a problem with your modem/connection, so I'd give them a call regardless. Yeah I agree with you, TW support is ridiculous. However, since you do say it only happens in the afternoons/evenings, it is also possible that everyone on your node (neighborhood) just happens to be a bunch of 24/7 downloading junkies and there isn't enough bandwidth to go around. If thats the case, then there really isn't anything you can do about it until TW decides to upgrade your area. Good luck.

Guest CK92842

You know you might want to try and run a quality line test over at http://www.dslreports.com/tools

You'll need to register, use the free account and you have access to said tests. That problem sounds exactly like a friend of mine described earlier this year. His post is on the Earthlink section of the dslreports forums. Turns out his neighborhood was unaware or just really didn't care to call it in. His SNR was 22 when it should be well in the mid and upper 30s.

^Hmm, I guess i should try to call sometime. Yeah i'm using RCA cable modem. Could it maybe I've downloaded things alot and affected the bandwidth? Either way, that's weird.

I'm assuming your using Earthlink cable aswell?

I really doubt the number of DLs effects your speeds, as far as I'm concerned there is no DL limit. Just DL limitation on usenet but that's something else altogether.

And yes, I'm using EL cable same as you. Also when you do make the call, disable your firewall and have your PC directly connected to the modem. The very mention of a router will only provoke them to hang up.

Thats actually not a wholly indicative way of testing performance issues. Some hops/routers are configured not to respond to certain icmp packets such as trace route and/or ping. Depending on source, destination, and route, you can most definitely have several lines of asterisks which isn't indicative of any type of error or problem.

Guest CK92842
Thats actually not a wholly indicative way of testing performance issues. Some hops/routers are configured not to respond to certain icmp packets such as trace route and/or ping. Depending on source, destination, and route, you can most definitely have several lines of asterisks which isn't indicative of any type of error or problem.

Understood and perhaps why I mentioned somewhere in there that these tests should be run when the computer is directly connected to modem as well as having firewalls disabled. ;)

Understood and perhaps why I mentioned somewhere in there that these tests should be run when the computer is directly connected to modem as well as having firewalls disabled. ;)

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with your modem being directly attached or enabled firewalls. I'm talking about all the routers/hops that show up when you do a trace route. Basically the technology between your computer and the destination; regardless of the local environment. To put it simply, you can most definitely have 3 or more no responses from 3 or more seperate routers in the trace and it isn't necessarily indicative of any network issues.

Archived