[drama 2006] Goodbye Solo 굿바이 솔로

creidesca

Drama Breaks From the Traditional

ensor200602241702390drama.jpg

By Park Chung-a

Staff Reporter

From left are Lee Han, Yun So-yi, Kim Min-hee and Cheon Jeong-myeong, who will star in the upcoming KBS drama “Goodbye Solo,” which airs from March 1.

While many Korean dramas attract viewers through their use of exotic backgrounds and fancy characters, a renowned drama writer Roh Hee-kyung has consistently been working on an in-depth portrayal of ordinary characters, taking a more human natural approach.

Through realistic and yet emotional lines in her works such as ``Lie,’’ ``Love Like Stupid,’’ ``Confession,’’ and ``More Beautiful Than Flower,’’ she has created a mania for ``Roh-Hee-kyoung brand’’ drama, despite the fact that her dramas have not attracted a large number of viewers.

With her upcoming play ``Goodbye Solo,’’ the dramatist is to try a new form of story-telling, breaking away from the traditional drama form, which evolves around a sensational or fatal incident concentrating on two or three main characters.

In the play, seven characters of different generations and backgrounds including a bartender, an artist, a gangster, a restaurant owner and a secretary, act out their own stories in an omnibus form.

``This has no specific hero or heroine,’’ Roh told The Korea Times. ``All seven characters in the drama are heroes. No one is more important than the others. If only one character is left out, the whole structure collapses. The drama is not about some astonishing or shocking story but about reflections on human relationships and nature, focusing on various personalities.’’

Stories of the seven characters which seem to be unrelated at first, become organically linked and start to interact with each other as the story unfolds and resort to one common theme _ that everyone is beautiful just the way they are.

Although the form of the drama is reminiscent of the American TV series ``Lost,’’ and a film ``Love Actually’’ which evolve around various personalities, Roh’s work focuses on portraying contradictions of the inner-self. To effectively describe conflict between one’s inner-self in the past and the present, the drama makes use of flashbacks.

``Everyone has their own story to tell, and no one is evil if you truly know them. By portraying various people at the same time at depth, I wanted to break down stereotypes and prejudices about certain types of people from certain social classes _ such as millionaires are cold-minded and prostitutes are far from devoted love,’’ said Roh.

In the play, each character goes through painful trauma. Min-ho is from a rich chaebol family but turns his back on his family due to a tragedy regarding his birth. Su-hi, who suffers because her mother endlessly changes partners, falls in love with the best friend of her boyfriend.

Ho-chol is a gangster who seems to be courageous and carefree but has strong fear about falling in love since the break-up with his first love. Mi-ri who loves Ho-chol, is easy-going and always bright but actually suffers from uncertainty about herself and her relationship with Ho-chol.

``Mi-young, the mute owner of a small restaurant, plays the role of linking each of the characters. As she can’t speak, everyone confides in her and trusts her. She is the type of true friend that you might dream of,’’ said Roh.

Kim Min-hee, model-turned-actress, stages a comeback in this drama after a year and a half absence. She is to act Mi-ri. As a great fan of Roh, Kim contacted Roh to be cast in the drama. However, owing to her lack of acting talent, she was rejected five times by the writer. ``I just could not give up. I kept calling her and went to her home to persuade her. So at the sixth request, I was finally accepted,’’ Kim told The Korea Times. ``But I am not ashamed at all since I got the role I have waited so long for. I know that I am not good enough but I will show that I can do better.’’

michelle@koreatimes.co.kr

02-24-2006 17:01

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ahhh thank you! and creidesca for all this info.

We are thinking about subbing this drama.. but as of right now.. we need more translators to help us out before we can proceed with the project.. once again... we need translators ( translating from chinese to english or korean to english/ timing/ editing..please pm me if you can help.. .. :)

please join the team!

gah it starts in less than a week...this thread is so quiet. the plot seems so interesting and different. and mr kkong and soyi are great. and i never saw minhee act but i trust she must have gotten better cuz of the roh story.

Guest banana_milk

I cannot wait for this! Finally! Something new...something different from many of the other stereotypical dramas out nowadays. Not that I don't enjoy them, but I'm starting to get a little sick of them as I get older.

I love Chun Jung Myung! I'm so excited for his first leading role in a drama. I haven't seen much of Yoon So Yi though...is she any good?

Lol, no wonder Kim Min Hee got the role. Wow, rejected five times? Hopefully, she improved from her last role.

I'm really looking forward to this one. The article above was very interesting.

By the way, are there any english subs available for 'more beautiful than a flower'? I remember reading X's review at twitch, and would really like to watch it.

some pics from the press conference:

thanks for the pic . here a 6min clip on the press conference

ETN 2006/02/23

mms://211.43.202.147/movie/200602/200602231713202586_s.wmv

repost from koreanwind.nnet

==

By the way, are there any english subs available for 'more beautiful than a flower'

i know there is a DVD with english subtitles ~~ .it is really a must watch ..such a beautiful scipt ~ that touches your heart ~ one of my favourite drama ~ the script and cast is simply great

=

this clip mainly on CheonJungMyung

mms://mmc.daumcast.net/tvnews/ytnstar/200602/24/200602241745384934_s.wmv

천정명 3가지 매력탐구

20060224203607.385.0.jpg

[리포트]

[인터뷰:박수홍]

"속이 아주 깊은 친구, 동생이지만 형 같은 면도 많고 잘 생기고 상품도 좋지만 형이 이 다음에 지켜봐 달라고 그 말이 참 인상 깊었어요."

[인터뷰:박중훈]

"귀엽기도 하고, 강하기도 하고 양쪽이 다 있어서 좋고 보여지는 면이나 실제 생활하는 모습이 틀리지 않아서 좋고 근사한 남자 하나 만난 것 같아요."

반듯한 남자 박수홍과 국민배우 박중훈이 적극 추천한 이 남자, 바로 천정명 씨인데요.

오늘 YTN STAR가 천정명 씨의 매력을 책임지고 전격 해부합니다!

자, 이 남자의 매력에 푹 빠질 준비 되셨나요?

[인터뷰:천정명]

"안녕하세요, YTN STAR 여러분, 천정명입니다. 현재 '굿바이 솔로' 재미있게 촬영 중입니다. 기대해주십시오."

오는 3월 '굿바이 솔로'라는 드라마로 다시 안방극장을 찾아올 예정인 천정명 씨. 너무 기다려지시죠?

그래서 '굿바이 솔로' 맛보기 화면 준비했습니다!

능숙한 바텐더 시범을 선보이는 천정명 씨.

오랫동안 연습하신 결과라고 하는데요. 이 외에도 천정명 씨의 색다른 모습 많이 볼 수 있다고 하니, 기대하셔도 좋을 듯합니다.

그중에서도 YTN STAR가 뽑은 명장면은 바로 극중 말 못하는 할머니 나문희 씨에게 뽀뽀를 건네는 이 장면, 나문희 할머니, 너무 부럽습니다!

■ 매력 1. 솜사탕처럼 달콤하고 부드러운 남자!

그래서!

이 남자의 매력, 신고합니다!

'굿바이 솔로'에서 부드럽고 다정한 이미지로 대변신한 천정명씨,

극중 친구의 애인인 윤소이씨와 가슴 아픈 사랑을 엮어나간다고 하는데요.

이번에는 제발 아픈 짝사랑으로 끝나지 않기를 바랍니다.

자, '외유내강'은 바로 천정명을 위한 말!

마냥 솜사탕처럼 부드러워 보이는 남자 천정명이지만, 사실 그 안에는 강인한 터프가이 기질도 담고 있는데요.

■ 매력 2. 터프한 만능스포츠맨

만능 스포츠맨 천정명 씨!

내 안에 '이연걸' 있다?!

영화 '태풍태양'에서 대역 없이 직접 멋진 인라인 스케이터 연기를 펼쳐 화제가 되기도 했었고요.

곧 개봉될 영화 '강적'에서도 탈옥수 역을 맡아 위험천만한 액션 장면들을 직접 연기하는 투혼을 보였다고 하는데요.

천정명 씨, 건강은 괜찮으신가요?

Q) 요즘 건강은 괜찮은지?

A) "공중에서 발차기하고 착지하는 동작에서 인대를 다쳐, 정신력으로 버티고 있다."

■ 매력 3. 가슴속에 순애보를 간직한 순정파

네, 천정명 씨 의외로 순정파라고 하는데요.

'패션 70's'에서 이요원만을 바라보던 천정명의 모습. 강렬한 카리스마 뒤에 감춰진 애달픈 순애보가 있다고 해서 천정명 씨에게 직접 들어봤습니다!

Q) 아픈 짝사랑의 기억이 있다던데?

A) "제가 초등학교 때 짝사랑했던 친구가 있었거든요. 2학년 때부터 6학년 때까지 짝사랑을 했었는데 우연히 중학교 때 한번 만나게 됐었는데 얼굴이 많이 변했더라고요. 좀 많이 실망했어요. 정말 좋아했었던 친구였는데..."

네, 순애보의 끝은 좀 허망했지만, 나름대로 순정파셨던 천정명 씨. 이 남자의 사랑을 얻고 싶으신 분들이 많을 것 같아 이상형을 살짝 여쭤봤는데요.

Q) 나의 이상형은?

A) "자기 일에 자부심을 갖는 여자가 좋아요. 한마디로 요즘 현대 여성이죠."

천정명 씨, 깜찍한 애교 역시 빼놓을 수 없죠.

수줍게 날리는 윙크 한방에 여심은 흔들리고!

저 사랑의 총알에 맞아 죽는대도 여한이 없을 듯하네요.

아니, 이렇게 멋져도 되는 겁니까!

다양한 매력으로 최고의 전성기를 구가하고 있는 배우, 천정명 씨!

열심히 지켜보고 있으니까요,

더욱 멋진 모습 보여주세요! [저작권자© YTNSTAR & Digital YTN. 무단 전재-재배포

Thank you Shirley & creidesca for all the pictures & info...

Can't believe this drama is just days away...and it will be a Wednesday & Thursday drama...

All the good dramas are showing on the same days...same time slots...

I really like Bin...hehe...like shirley...I only know him as Bin :) He's so charming...

YSY is also great in "Tell Me You Love Me"...it's been a long time...I'm glad to see her again.

The writer is also great...I love her last work..."More Beautiful Than A Flower"...it's one of most touching dramas ever...

And Goodbye Solo is very different in term of storytelling and the new style should be interesting to watch...I'm really looking forward to watching it. With the tough competition against Goong...wow...I really hope it will not disappoint.

Guest dadedum

Very much looking forward to this, along with Dr. Kang.. Was Yoon So Yi in a drama with Kim Rae Won? Or have I confused her with somebody else? :blink:

They look sooOOO cute together! :wub:

bin57no5nh.jpg

Credit Pictures: Luv & Hankook

BTW: I credit ALL picture posted here and

everywhere in the world to Luv

who've taught me everything! :wub:

Archived