Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest angelwingerz

I have a question about singing with your diaphragm...

I don't have a voice teacher, so I have to use my friend to help me out with singing. She says that I have to sing with my diaphragm and that I sing with my throat or something and it can do a lot of damage. She also says that when you sing your diaphragm is supposed to move too. Is this right? I have no idea what to do... I am a major noob... I just don't know how to sing using my diaphragm or make it move as I sing or whatever.

Also, when I try to do scales or something, I have to strain to go high... Will I stop straining as I practice more? What is the best technique in order to widen your vocal range?

Guest sikkony

I have a question about singing with your diaphragm...

I don't have a voice teacher, so I have to use my friend to help me out with singing. She says that I have to sing with my diaphragm and that I sing with my throat or something and it can do a lot of damage. She also says that when you sing your diaphragm is supposed to move too. Is this right? I have no idea what to do... I am a major noob... I just don't know how to sing using my diaphragm or make it move as I sing or whatever.

Also, when I try to do scales or something, I have to strain to go high... Will I stop straining as I practice more? What is the best technique in order to widen your vocal range?

"Singing with diaphragm and not with your throat" (or something similar) is a misnomer. I notice a lot of people tend to say it here, but I never seen it being said elsewhere honestly. Let's clear some things up if you haven't already, all sounds from your voice comes from in your throat behind your larynx (the bump on your throat as you run your finger downwards from chin) where the vocal folds are situated. Diaphragm and stomach, doesn't make sounds to sing (yeh, it's obvious, but just double checking), but actually aids with "breath support". Breath support means to apply sufficient amounts of air when singing. Normally, without good breath support, we tend to like to blast more air than what is needed. With proper breath support, it helps you to sing correctly (it's not the only component to singing correctly though).

Just sing normally, but ask your friend to show you (and you learn off her/him) how to do a scale properly. Don't put your mind on breath support too much, unless you're finding you're having real problems on high notes (not due to straining etc). When you practice more on your scales, your straining will not stop. But if you practice with the correct techniques (more like training), the straining will stop.

Guest angelwingerz

"Singing with diaphragm and not with your throat" (or something similar) is a misnomer. I notice a lot of people tend to say it here, but I never seen it being said elsewhere honestly. Let's clear some things up if you haven't already, all sounds from your voice comes from in your throat behind your larynx (the bump on your throat as you run your finger downwards from chin) where the vocal folds are situated. Diaphragm and stomach, doesn't make sounds to sing (yeh, it's obvious, but just double checking), but actually aids with "breath support". Breath support means to apply sufficient amounts of air when singing. Normally, without good breath support, we tend to like to blast more air than what is needed. With proper breath support, it helps you to sing correctly (it's not the only component to singing correctly though).

Just sing normally, but ask your friend to show you (and you learn off her/him) how to do a scale properly. Don't put your mind on breath support too much, unless you're finding you're having real problems on high notes (not due to straining etc). When you practice more on your scales, your straining will not stop. But if you practice with the correct techniques (more like training), the straining will stop.

Thank for the help! ^_^

Guest EvaxTvxQ

Ok, when i'm singing my voice are like straining. I dont think i'm breathing right? or something but ok i know this, you're suppose to inhale so your diaphram goes in and then you sing right? like i did that but then my voice kind of yea strains..thanx for the help!

Guest EvaxTvxQ

Are you straining because you're singing outside of your voice's comfort zone? x:

what do you mean by singing outside your comfort zone? and is it true that when you're singing, u breathe in your stomache goes out and when u breathe out your stomache goes in? cause if it is, then singing with your diaphram and doin that breathing, its mad hard!..but is it true though?

Guest havoc11

ok goldwave wont let me convert it to mp3? how do u do it

i am up to the part were u press "begin" but it says i have an error...what do i do to fix it?

what do you mean by singing outside your comfort zone? and is it true that when you're singing, u breathe in your stomache goes out and when u breathe out your stomache goes in? cause if it is, then singing with your diaphram and doin that breathing, its mad hard!..but is it true though?

The stomach thing is true. actually, that's how babies breathe, that's why they can scream their lungs out =_____= At least that's what Sou said. But yeah, that is how to breathe the proper way. It really helps with stability and things like that. Your chest and shoulders shouldn't move much. Just practice.

singing out of your comfort zone is trying to strain for notes that aren't really ni your range. I think that's what it is.

Guest baybiifusion

okay, so i finally developed a vibratto but the thing is i have trouble controlling it, especially at the end of notes. is there anyway i can gain more control over it?

Guest EvaxTvxQ

The stomach thing is true. actually, that's how babies breathe, that's why they can scream their lungs out =_____= At least that's what Sou said. But yeah, that is how to breathe the proper way. It really helps with stability and things like that. Your chest and shoulders shouldn't move much. Just practice.

singing out of your comfort zone is trying to strain for notes that aren't really ni your range. I think that's what it is.

ok thanx for the help then! x]

Guest Kentaro

A little genius kid carrying a violin case was late to his first US concert and he didn't know how to get to his concert hall, Carnegie Hall. So, he asked this guy "Sir, how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" The guy being an arrogant SOB merely smiled, ruffled the kid's hair and said...

"Practice, boy, practice."

Ok. That was stupid. But it's true. You've just got to practice. Just sing until you start coughing up blood. Just sing. O_O That's what I've been doing for all my life so far.

~S2~: lol, wow, that sounds harsh xD i guess it's pretty true though. but if you don't feel like coughing up blood, work on air support. the more air support you have, the more you'll be able to sing and the better you'll be able to sing, in every way. let's see, when i was in high school, my choir director had us lift the corner or the piano, or just something heavy, at about waist height and sing. that'll help you to sort of force the air support.

practice, practice, and more practice. if you're serious about it, then you should do lots of warm ups that aren't too lengthy, but not too short. a simple one is the basic, Do, Mi, Sol, Do (upper Do), Sol, Mi, Do. One that I personally like is the Do Re Mi, Re Mi Fa, Mi Fa Sol, Fa Sol La, Sol La Ti, La Ti Do, Ti Do Re, Do, at a moderate tempo and in one breath. Then come back down in the same sort of pattern from Do Ti La, Ti La Sol, etc. Uhh.. you don't have to use the solfegge though =). Also, you should play around with the vowel sounds while you're warming up. Since every voice is different, different vowels are more comfortable in different people.

When you're singing higher, open up more. I remember when I was in voice studio class and my voice teacher had a soprano come out in front of the class for a demonstration. He made her sing up to a high G I think. When I say high, I mean the G an octave above the G that sits on top of the treble clef. So anyway, as she was progressing up the scale, she was opening up her mouth more and more. I think he had her do Do Re Mi Fa Sol Fa Mi Re Do, except all on "ah". For guys though, we're supposed to do the opposite, which is covering our vowels as we get passed a certain point.... damn.. I can't remember what it's called.. but it's usually around middle C, D, or E.

A breathing exercise we always did in choir was you first breath in for a count of 4 and then exhaling out for a count of 8, then breathe in, exhale for a count of 16, breathe in, exhale for 24, then try 32, or just as long as you can. We usually exhaled on "s". Oh yeah, working on your lower abs too should help with the support. I don't mean making a 6 or 8 pack, but just having a more muscle down there to support the air flow/storage.

There is a big difference between supported singing and unsupported singing. Supported singing takes a while to get used to.. because you should have every single note with breath support. Though, once you can actually do it, it's a lot easier on the vocal cords because you're not singing from your throat anymore.

Well, I hope that helped someone out =P. Sorry if all of this was mentioned before in the topic.. I didn't realize it was gonna turn out to be this lengthy >.<

Edit: "Ok, when i'm singing my voice are like straining. I dont think i'm breathing right? or something but ok i know this, you're suppose to inhale so your diaphram goes in and then you sing right? like i did that but then my voice kind of yea strains..thanx for the help!" -EvaxTvxQ

It's not that your diaphragm goes in, it's more that it gets pushed out from the lungs expanding. Since the diaphragm is below the lungs, when you breathe in enough, the lungs will push down on the diaphragm causing it to expand. Also, my voice teacher showed me, when you breathe in well, you should feel your lower floating ribs expanding. To check if you're breathing in right, put your hands on either side of where your ribs end and take a deep breath. Your chest shouldn't rise and you should feel your ribs expanding. Another helpful tip my teacher gave me is to think as if you're breathing all the way down till you can feel your lower back expand--of course, the breath should be breathed pretty much in an instant. Hope that helped you some =).

Guest havoc11

I have most likely been singing with my throat all my life...now im trying to do the correct way and i cant tell the difference...

im trying very hard to emphasize the breathing techniques..and yet i still feel my throat straining...

help?

Guest Kentaro

I have most likely been singing with my throat all my life...now im trying to do the correct way and i cant tell the difference...

im trying very hard to emphasize the breathing techniques..and yet i still feel my throat straining...

help?

What I try to do is this: I start singing a scale/warm up at a low, comfortable note, then start raising the pitch. While you're going up in pitch, you want to try to keep the same kind of tone from the lower register. My teacher told me that as you sing higher, try to think of singing lower. This should help create space.

Also, even though I said guys should close their vowels more as they sing higher, doesn't mean that the space inside their mouths should get smaller. Oh, something else that might help is when you're singing, your adam's apple should be down almost as much as when you're yawning. Don't force it down though, try to make it natural. Hope this helped out some. If not, I'll try to remember some other stuff =).

Guest maly&ahpulee

Ok, this may be dumb or asked before, but how does Audacity work and how or where can I mix? I'm a noob!!

Guest Taka Yuki

Although it sounds like you're singing with a bad vocal technique, the only tip I can think of is, lessen the amount volume given out by your voice, a lot of fluids (room temperature or warm - room seems to do the best for me), get sufficient amount of sleep, warm up before singing, and don't eat dry chilli food before recording, or dairy things.

I assume you sing by "pulling chest" (a term that means to strain, and pulling your voice/forcing your voice) so you really need to take care when you do that. One of the most dangerous things to do while singing with pulling chest (incorrect singing method), is to "blast". If you're blasting + pulling chest, you really will feel pain and will find a lot of problems. Hence why I said, try to lower the volume when singing (with this technique).

Hmm, pulling chest... Now I know the term for it.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciated it.

Guest sikkony

Also, even though I said guys should close their vowels more as they sing higher, doesn't mean that the space inside their mouths should get smaller. Oh, something else that might help is when you're singing, your adam's apple should be down almost as much as when you're yawning. Don't force it down though, try to make it natural. Hope this helped out some. If not, I'll try to remember some other stuff =).

Kentaro sounds like a well trained person I must admit. His advice on support is good stuff, so anyone who wants to look up for a bit of info should read his previous post.

About the larynx (adam's apple), I believe you should not force it down at all. You can control/force your larynx down when singing, but this is only by a minimal amount. Not "almost" as much as when you're yawning. Forcing it down that much, most likely will cause damage or pain. This is my oppinion, but you can always try it out for yourself. You would probably feel this sharp pain somewhere in your neck doing such a technique.

The amount of depression that you should do at most (although I disagree you should even control the larynx at all) should be as much as when the larynx is at speech level. Therefore it shouldn't rise, shouldn't raise, should remain somewhat constant, although of course, it will move here and there as you sing different words and pitches here and there.

I personally disagree though, and think the larynx should rise whenever it wants, where it wants. I think, by depressing the larynx intentionally and keeping it down, you're just limiting yourself. That doesn't mean though, that the larynx should go up as high as when you pull chest etc (where your voice would close off).

So in the end I think whatever works, you do that. If you like the more brighter sounds, allow your larynx to rise a bit, if you're more into the deeper sounds, keep it down (but not as much as when you're yawning!). Although with this said, when singing correctly, the larynx shouldn't rise extremely high, but just by a bit. You know when you're singing incorrectly, is when you're larynx is too high (in the swallowing position). And by trying to correct this by forcing your larynx down with another technique, you're only trying to "bury" your mistake, and really, you're just making more problems.

In the end of the day, it's all your choice, if you think slightly depressing the larynx does it for you, then do it! If you think, nah... I reckon the larynx should be free and be able to move wherever and whenever (but not sky high positions), then do it! But depressing the larynx shouldn't be a means of keeping your larynx down because it goes up too high when you sing!

I only post this because I'm scared others might actually injure themselves with trying to depress the larynx too much while singing. Remember, if you feel pain, stop immediately. You have done something wrong. Singing correctly, pain doesn't exist.

It can be very hard to put forward things in text.

One more thing on support (breathing techniques). Support isn't the big key that when doing correctly, it would take out all your singing problems such as straining on high notes. Actually, to me I don't see how support will remove any straining you have when singing at all. That's due to incorrect singing technique, not breathing technique. Breathing support only helps to stop you from blasting and losing your notes when you go up high (or with any pitch) with the correct techinque. You know when you need breathing support is when you feel everything is right (no pain, no strain), yet when you go to sing those high notes, they won't come out properly! That's when breathing support kicks in. There are many other things that could cause problems in singing such as tongue placement, jaw placement, facial structure, vowel modifying etc.

Oh one last thing that comes to mind, if you sing and your body naturally wants you to change that vowel to something slightly different, then let it! It shows a good sign.

---

If I had said anything wrong with what I just posted, I would definitely like to be corrected.

EDIT: Errr what happened to my sig?!?

Guest baboxwangdda

I think i'm posting in the right section but I'm not sure.. but

What program would you suggest for studio recording? I'm trying to get my own setup going but I don't know too much about mics and the programs and stuff like that. A friend and I perform songs (instrumentals or vocals) at school or for friends on their birthdays and we're thinking about trying to get something going.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Guest havoc11

What I try to do is this: I start singing a scale/warm up at a low, comfortable note, then start raising the pitch. While you're going up in pitch, you want to try to keep the same kind of tone from the lower register. My teacher told me that as you sing higher, try to think of singing lower. This should help create space.

yeah my friend said something about sing with your jaw like..almost unhooked..not like its unhooked but like..make jaw like..loosened...iunno now to explain it..my friend is the 1 getting the music major from USC not me haha well not only do i have to fix this but also i have to sound less airy cus it seems like im putting out more air than voice

Guest PockyUpNose

i'm having major problems doing falsetto. My falsetto sounds extremely airy....is that right?.....