Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Chest Voice - Low notes

Middle Voice - Lighter than chest voice but stronger than head voice.

Head Voice - For high notes.

Don't force notes out in chest voice, it'll only make it sound horrible and damage your voice.

I am soo...getting a pillow out and screaming now haha.

Guest EvaxTvxQ

so when you try to expand, is your stomache goin in or out?..like when u do the "SSSS" sound...should your stomache go in or out?...hehe i'm actually gettting better xD...well not with the yelling T-T

Guest dankyung

^ yur stomach should be getting tighter and stronger (it goes in)~ yu can feel it in yur stomach the strength. i always have that feeling in vocal ensemble~

-sophia

Guest EvaxTvxQ

hey, thanx!!! ok i got another Question, when you want to use your head voice, do u let go of your chest voice? like do you just release your stomache and then just sing with your head?...haha thanx!

Guest dankyung

^ well i think yu should still keep yur stomach going it still should be tight it's juss the power won't be coming from the stomach as much. i think it would be kinda hard to let goof your stomach and juss singing with yur head voice~ i keep my stomach tight and than rest on rests (:

-sophia

Guest EvaxTvxQ

^ well i think yu should still keep yur stomach going it still should be tight it's juss the power won't be coming from the stomach as much. i think it would be kinda hard to let goof your stomach and juss singing with yur head voice~ i keep my stomach tight and than rest on rests (:

-sophia

haha yay! thanx!!!!

Guest lunalie

seems like a lot of people are answering questions recently :D yay!

can anyone answer this? i asked it before but it's kind of weird... how do you make that "growly" sound? when an artist emphasizes an adlib or something, and it sounds like they're pushing at the beginning of a note, and it comes out rough/sandy but strong.

Guest geneyoonit

^its actually technically called a "grind"

u kno when u clear ur throat? ya, use the exact same principal, but attach notes along with it :)

Guest lunalie

u kno when u clear ur throat? ya, use the exact same principal, but attach notes along with it :)

hahahaha okay i tried that and i either come up sounding like a really weird dried up cat or plain singing. any other tips?

hmm haha you kno when you use your diaphram and sing, do you breathe with your mouth or through your nose?

Mouth for longer notes, nose for shorter easier ones. I usually breathe through my mouth because it's easier for me but you can try both and see what suits you xD

Guest xACIDxHEADx

buh try to always breathe through your nose, espeically when not singing, because:

ur nostril's help trapt dust n other stuff from getting directed breathed inside, and by breathing with the nose will warm up the air to be passed down your throat to moisten it.

overtime, the more you breathe with your nose, the less you will have dry/stuck throat feelings. because clearing your throat by hacking? (sorry forgot the other word ^__^) to clear flem is bad.

Guest sikkony

I'm going to clarify since I was still confused.

Falsetto: Falsetto is the maximal elongation of vocal cords with minimal glottic gap. It is the breathy sound that occurs when the vocal cords are allowed to separate. Falsetto will not blend with chest voice, therefore making it impractical to use except for special vocal stylings. (davestroud.com)

Falsetto is a higher range than the head voice; it relies on completely relaxed vocal folds and may sound breathy. (Wikipedia)

Head voice: The head voice is often used when a person shouts or is highly excited. In these situations people tend to produce higher pitches, and these resonate in the mouth and in the bones of the skull, producing the sensation of the sound coming from the head. A person uses the head voice when singing notes at the upper end of his or her vocal range.

The tonal qualities of the head voice are usually described as being sweet, balladic, lilting, lyrical, or pure. On the negative side, this register may sound light, unsupported, or breathy, and may not be as loud as the chest voice. (Wikipedia)

Chest Voice: The chest voice is the register typically used in everyday speech. It is so called because it can produce the sensation of the sound coming from the upper chest. This is because lower frequency sounds have longer wavelengths, and resonate mostly in the larger cavity of the chest. A person uses the chest voice when singing at the bottom of his or her range.

The tonal qualities of the chest voice are usually described as being rich or full, but can also be pushed or belted. Trained singers can usually control this register, but some untrained singers may experience vocal problems if they sing excessively in this register without proper training. (Wikipedia)

Middle Voice/Mixed: The term Middle Voice is not as commonly used as some of the other descriptions like chest and head voice. This section of the voice may also be referred to as mix or blend and it describes an area where a vocal bridge or passaggio may occur. Once the singer has mastered the art of moving smoothly through this transition area it is considered to be mixed or blended. (vocalist.org.uk)

Why are you poking me. :huh:

Wow I haven't replied/posted for quite a bit I think.

Those are the terms, but they do not aid our discussion (if we still are LOL for so many months now).

I still believe mixed voice takes more energy, more concentration to do than headvoice.

Other singing students have said the same thing too (that I have seen). Maybe you're different? (doubt it though :P).

Wow so many new posts o_O;;

i find this exercise helps get the chest voice out alot:

big problem is not becuase people don't have the "power" to belt, its becuase when they try to, our bodies automatically tighten up to "reduce sound" and because belting out (which is REALLY loud>yelling volume) at home just seems too loud n the brain process embarassing thoguhts.

well anyways, theres no real technique to belting.

but to relieve that "with-holding feeling". you can try this!

1) find a pillow (those fluffy ones that you can still breathe through, no foam ones or u suffocate)

2) sit or stand ( i find kneeling face down for begining works best) and press ur face againt the pillow while holding it. (Remember to breathe first!)

3) Then, belt/yell/scream the scale. Don't start trying to hit those high notes first. Start low. REMEMBER, AS YOU GO HIGHER, YOU MUST TRY TO KEEP THE SAME VOLUME/ LOUDNESS AS YOU SANG THE HIGH NOTES.

4) Don't go on to the next note until you can hit the note striaghtout belted. If you "slide" into the note, it won't help you retain he power to sustain the actual note.

NOTE:

- Practicing belting through a pillow like this helps because you don't have to worry everything beign too loud.

- You can also hear youself alot better, and concetrate only on hitting the note.

- The "positions" you would be in usually results in you tightening your ab area, which is required for any type of singing.

- Psychologically, it gets rid of the "feeling of being observed", and helps you let go.

Wow. Sounds like a bad recipe. I wouldn't highly recommend doing such things unless you want to end up in the surgeon's chair to get some nodules removed from your vocal folds. There is a healthy way to sing, and an unhealthy. What you just said is extremely unhealthy (no offence).

Mouth for longer notes, nose for shorter easier ones. I usually breathe through my mouth because it's easier for me but you can try both and see what suits you xD

I don't believe breathing should be regulated. I believe it should be a natural process. By controlling your breathing manually, you could end up sucking too much or too little air. Your body should know by default how much air is required before you hit a note. If you run out of breath during a line, it's not due to you not taking enough air :P. It's just you didn't prolly train yourself to hold a note that long. Besides that fact, I don't see how anyone could run out of air (it's rare but does occur). Just try and find a new spot in the line you're singing to get a quick breathe in.

Much like talking, do you control how much air you breathe and how you breathe it when talk?

For the nose and mouth bits, I don't know. Personally I use mouth because my nose has small nostrils so it feels like I'm suffocating and can't get the needed amount of air under that certain time period. :P Whatever works should be fine.

Q2. Like the past definition that No 1 posted up. So the Faletso (< damn forgot how to spell it) is suppose to make this noise like a wind kinda noise when you sing, is it like Boa when she sings? How do you like "open" the faletso, cause i asked some people and they always say "open" your faletso and seiorusly i dont know what that means.

No falsetto is what you hear some of those guys use in here when the go to hit a big note, and then back down to that quiet, soft, second voice we have. Falsetto is there to protect your voice. I don't see why you would be using it in the first place to sing. It is a mechanism to stop you from abusing and forcing extra amounts of air into your vocal cords and blasting them with excitement :P.

Boa doesn't use falsetto. Instead she uses a headvoice and mixed voice on her high notes. Her voice is really strong if she uses mix. If it's the soft one, then it's like some weird falsetto headvoice thingy. It's somewhere in between, but everyone defines falsetto differently, much like NO-1 has pointed out.

And you don't need to open your voice when you do falsetto, because it is already open :P. Falsetto is when the cords get blown apart and become loose.

Falsetto <- Italian word for false tone. It is not full. I forgot the full definition XD Someone here would probably know more on this topic.

Q3. How do you really sing with your chest voice? I mean, ^^^^ up there it says its for loudness, but isnt that head voice or the faletso? Yea, i dont get it...it will really help!! THANX!

Chest is what you use for your low notes. You won't miss it unless you're doing something un-natural :P Loudness is mixed.

seems like a lot of people are answering questions recently biggrin.gif yay!

can anyone answer this? i asked it before but it's kind of weird... how do you make that "growly" sound? when an artist emphasizes an adlib or something, and it sounds like they're pushing at the beginning of a note, and it comes out rough/sandy but strong.

u kno when u clear ur throat? ya, use the exact same principal, but attach notes along with it smile.gif

lol that's a nasty name but that name so suits that technique. Exactly what he says. I never heard of the name 'grind' before, but thats exactly what your vocal folds do. They cause friction upon themselves, therefore they seem to be grinding lol. I call them "Glottal Attacks" (I think that's their real name?), but they're also known as "Grunts". You do one just grunting from your voice. Pretend your a racing car :P Vroom :P

I gotta say though, don't start mass doing that, cos it really is bad for you. It's only meant to be used rarely for some effects. Make sure you drink a lot and keep your cords from being dry when you're practicing it!

overtime, the more you breathe with your nose, the less you will have dry/stuck throat feelings. because clearing your throat by hacking? (sorry forgot the other word ^__^) to clear flem is bad.

Coughing.

-----

Booyah I posted so long lol. I have no life zzz :P

Guest xACIDxHEADx

well u go to the ur band administration button on the top right n click on ur band name, then theres a list of stuff to do.

anyways, HELLLLLPPP!!!!!! T___T

SoundClikc is going BAZOOKA ! on me!!! *cries* it changed all my songs genre into Pop- Cover songs, even a song i wrote was changed into that catergory. The only song i could change the genre was a recent JPop song i did. But otherwise, when i go to edit the song info, theres no dropdown list of the genres....*SOB* iono what to do.... i think it erased all of my chart records too!!

my SC:

www.soundclick.com/acidshower

Guest havoc11

well u go to the ur band administration button on the top right n click on ur band name, then theres a list of stuff to do.

anyways, HELLLLLPPP!!!!!! T___T

SoundClikc is going BAZOOKA ! on me!!! *cries* it changed all my songs genre into Pop- Cover songs, even a song i wrote was changed into that catergory. The only song i could change the genre was a recent JPop song i did. But otherwise, when i go to edit the song info, theres no dropdown list of the genres....*SOB* iono what to do.... i think it erased all of my chart records too!!

my SC:

www.soundclick.com/acidshower

thanks man

i have a question

does any1 have goldwave

and if so how do u make it so u can sing with a mic and have an instrumental going on at the same time?

Guest NO-1

thanks man

i have a question

does any1 have goldwave

and if so how do u make it so u can sing with a mic and have an instrumental going on at the same time?

You could just play the instrumental in another audio player while listening on headphones and just record with Goldwave.

I was wondering if anyone knows A&R Select record company ?

I got a msg on myspace from them... but it seems shady.. Here's the msg.

Hi !

My name is Ally and I'm a scout for A&R Select. They are the leading music service for artists looking to place their music in tv/film/video games/record label deals, etc. I'm reaching out to you because the music on your myspace site is very appealing to me and I think you could really benefit from a service like ours.

Please contact us at our Los Angeles office @ 323-924-5897 or reply to this message with your best contact phone ASAP if you're interested.

You can check us out at www.arselect.com

We are also a proud member of the Better Business Bureau

www.bbb.org

BTW, how is the music scene over there these days? ...just curious ;-)

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,

Ally

Submissions Department

A&R Select

www.arselect.com