Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

You can't play the instrumental as you record so what I used to do was sing with the song playing in another media player and then mix it in.

To mix it, you click on the clip, press ctrl+a then ctrl+c, then open up the instrumental and press ctrl+m.

You'll need to play around with the up and down arrows to get the timing right and use the green play button on the mixing window a lot, its very useful.

Guest sikkony

I just wanted to ask... how long it takes to develop vibratto? I'm fourteen right now and my voice is very plain because I don't have any vibratto and I'm just wondering when most of you got it >_< And whenever I try to sing high.. my voice always cracks o_O Should I just keep warming up everyday so my voice can get used to a higher register?

Learning the vibratto could take a few years to become acceptable in, or even just a few months. Regardless of the time length, it really comes down to the technique you are using to produce your vibrato, as there are forced vibrato techniques and natural techniques.

Warming up your voice although will help in the long run (definitely), it won't allow you to sing higher in register. You have to access your headvoice to sing higher. Otherwise you can start straining, building tension and start doing damage to your delicate vocal cords.

ok 2 questions, you experts here please help me out

how do you remove vocal in cool edit pro? and audacity *if you even can remove the vocal)

also i remeber there's a converting program called CDcovert or something. it converts wavs. m4as. blah blah to mp3s. can anyone find it?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE

There is a program called "DBPowerAMP" which Rai-Rai has suggest earlier to others. I highly recommend this program too; been using it for years or so, and never let me down. And it's free and very small!

Guest celestial_kasumi

hehe @ sikkony thnx, i'll try dat holdin my breath thingy :P

@ Rai Rai, i'm usin adobe audition...

i tried amplifyin it n the centre channel extractor but it also amplifies the buzzin sound that comes with recordin, so yeh....maybe it's jus me who jus doesn't kno how to edit things properly ^-^'

Guest memefluzit

I just wanted to ask... how long it takes to develop vibratto? I'm fourteen right now and my voice is very plain because I don't have any vibratto and I'm just wondering when most of you got it >_< And whenever I try to sing high.. my voice always cracks o_O Should I just keep warming up everyday so my voice can get used to a higher register?

if you can't do it naturally, try practicing it the french way: when you sing, press on your stomach. that's the motion for a deep vibrato-- and then do it without pushing.

Ohhh, thanks guys for the tips! How long would it take though for you to actually control the vibrato so it could sound "nice"? Because my voice has a TINY vibrato, but it just sounds like it's wavering.. like I have no breath. :huh:

edit//

BTW, how hard are you supposed to press on your stomache? And do I press it near my diaphragm (sp)? Cuz I don't hear a difference... T_T lol, sorry x_x

celestial_kasumi Look for something called Windows Recording Mixer I think in the menus. I think its under tools. There you can change the volume of your mic. If it's still not loud enough, go to edit and normalize to 100%.

Read Hmaster's tutorials, they are really handy.

Guest sikkony

Ohhh, thanks guys for the tips! How long would it take though for you to actually control the vibrato so it could sound "nice"? Because my voice has a TINY vibrato, but it just sounds like it's wavering.. like I have no breath. :huh:

edit//

BTW, how hard are you supposed to press on your stomache? And do I press it near my diaphragm (sp)? Cuz I don't hear a difference... T_T lol, sorry x_x

Your spelling for diaphragm is correct.

Vibratos are really meant to be tiny waverings in your voice, not something that fluctuates like silly.

And you don't use your stomach or diaphragm to make vibratos. But it's how you train yourself to get a natural one (well I think that's the method taught for obtaining vibratos).

I just know, you don't use anything in your body to produce vibrato, it becomes natural. Anyone care to oppose my oppinion? :)

if you can't do it naturally, try practicing it the french way: when you sing, press on your stomach. that's the motion for a deep vibrato-- and then do it without pushing.

Yep, I just read after I posted this post and that sounds right to what I've known too. You press hard enough (usually it small jabs that can actually hurt lol) to give yourself a feel of what vibratos feels like. It's like small little hits with a clenched fist. Try not to wind yourself though! What you're trying to do is, introduce yourself the feeling of vibratos, and how it feels to allow pulsating air to hit into your soft palate. Well not hit, but you will feel something unique there.

EDIT2: Ok I've re-read my post. Not small hits, more like thumps.

Guest hmaster

I need help. I need more air in me. any tips, anyone?

it's because i have to sing a kirei da. and i'm failing the phrasing. please help.

For the vibrato comment... >>;;;

It's REALLY REALLY REALLY bad to force vibrato by fluctuating your air flow with your stomach/diaphragm. It's incredibly unhealthy and it'll train you into a muscle memory that'll mess you up really bad. Vibrato, by nature, is a natural oscillation of the vocal chords that helps relieve stress on them. It has nothing to do with the diaphragm. If you force it, you can hurt yourself-- if you have no vibrato, or force yourself to sing with no vibrato, you can damage your vocal chords as well.

Hope that clears up a thing or two.

Guest sikkony

For the vibrato comment... >>;;;

It's REALLY REALLY REALLY bad to force vibrato by fluctuating your air flow with your stomach/diaphragm. It's incredibly unhealthy and it'll train you into a muscle memory that'll mess you up really bad. Vibrato, by nature, is a natural oscillation of the vocal chords that helps relieve stress on them. It has nothing to do with the diaphragm. If you force it, you can hurt yourself-- if you have no vibrato, or force yourself to sing with no vibrato, you can damage your vocal chords as well.

Hope that clears up a thing or two.

To clear things up with what I've said, just incase that is (because I think I was unclear with what I posted), I didn't mean for the person to make vibratos by using their stomach. By using the stomach trick, it helps give the sense of what vibratos feels like. You don't actually train with that technique though. And it is not the way in which vibratos are generated (by using our stomach etc).

Nothing should move when you make a vibrato, which includes your jaw, larynx, stomach etc. Like Sou has said, it's when there's no tension on the vocal folds and they are allowed to oscillate freely.

Sorry I was definitely unclear about that when I re-read what I posted just before.

Let Sou do the explanation, she by far is an excellent singer and very knowledgable in singing.

There's a converter called DBPowerAMP. I used it when I made AMVs XD

But what do you use to record? Just sound recorder or what?

If you use another recording program, google up "Lame mp3" and copy the files onto your computer. Its the mp3 encoder so you can save stuff as mp3 ^^

What files do you copy?

Guest mooncake

How do I train up on my fasetto? I have a pretty weak fasetto and I don't really know how to relax my vocal chord when I hit the high notes. I like fantsiimaker's fasetto ine one of her song. How do I improve my fasetto?

How do you record yourself ? O_O What program do I use?

Google up Goldwave :) It's shareware and it'll stop working after 3000 action things but all you need to do is uninstall and reinstall.

A few people use Adobe Audition/Cool Edit Pro as well but its paid. There's is a 30 day trial though.

Guest hesaid143

How do you get rid of the nasally voice? I`ve tried holding my nose and singing and trying hard so that my voice isn`t distorted at certain notes when it goes through my nose instead, but it doesn`t seem to work.

Just practice singing without it going through your nose? x] lol

Isn't singing nasally when you don't get air through your nose properly?

The reason some people sound stuffy (or nasal, I'm assuming) is that they're not resonating in their sinuses. It's why you sound kinda bad when you have a cold; you sound dull and nasal because your voice isn't resonating properly in your sinuses.

To fix it, you just have to relax yourself, breathe right (via your diaphragm~!), and try not to tense up when you sing. Dropping and relaxing your jaw helps too. ^^