Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest memefluzit

does anyone have a wav to mp3 converter? and where can you get a site to just upload your songs on (not like soundlick) so you don't have to use yousendit?

Guest hmaster

What's a good type of mic for recording vocals?

I need something...not too pricey.

that question doesn't make sense. a good type of mic? or a good mic? What do you mean by not pricey? how do you plan on hooking it up to your computer?

Guest babiixru

how would you practice so you can hold a note on one pitch so its not quivering sounding?

do you have access to a piano or a keyboard? try doing scales and hold the note long, that way you have something to hear while you are working to keep your pitch the same while holding the note (this works better with the keyboard, actually). in addition, since the keyboard can hold the note to the same pitch, you'll have an easier time keeping the same pitch. and then try practicing without the piano. also, place your finger on your larynx (its that thing that moves when you swallow or the adam's apple for a guy) and make sure it doesnt move upwards when you are holding the pitch. and make sure you breathe through your tummy (best way to do this is through your nose). i hope this helps :mellow:

Guest xshinhae05x

Hmmm.. I'm not sure if this applies to singing directly... but I did know anywhere else I could put it...

sorry if this is the wrong place:

I am really interested in composing my own music and singing it.

Is it possible if I had a keyboard that could connect to my computer, I could record my songs and singing on the computer and edit them?

Hmmm.. I'm not sure if this applies to singing directly... but I did know anywhere else I could put it...

sorry if this is the wrong place:

I am really interested in composing my own music and singing it.

Is it possible if I had a keyboard that could connect to my computer, I could record my songs and singing on the computer and edit them?

Yep. That's the technology these days... :lol:

Guest babiixru

Yep. That's the technology these days... :lol:

hahaha you crack me up! :lol:

davidddddd! (hmaster) what settings do you apply to harmony vocals? i tried the suggestion you gave to lisa from the old thread before soompi crashed but the effect wasn't really what i wanted.

i'd prefer the settings for when you do a vocal cut you can still hear the harmonizing pretty clearly so that it sounds full and "coming from all areas of the headphone/stereo." does that make sense? examples would be namie's bg vocals or mariah carey bg vocals lol

Guest chigusa707

how do I change my recorded files from wav to mp3? I cant upload them on my soundclick because they are not in mp3 format. TT.TT

^ I'm pretty sure you need a program to do that. My recording program does that for me. If yours doesn't/you don't find one that can [?], I suggest you find a converting program. x:. Sorry. I'll wait for someone who has more background from this.

There's a converter called DBPowerAMP. I used it when I made AMVs XD

But what do you use to record? Just sound recorder or what?

If you use another recording program, google up "Lame mp3" and copy the files onto your computer. Its the mp3 encoder so you can save stuff as mp3 ^^

Guest celestial_kasumi

Jus wonderin if anyone can help with making a voice louder on a recording, the background music overpowers the voice =.='

hehe also, how can we learn how to 'breathe' properly..like to hold our notes for longer...

Guest sikkony

Jus wonderin if anyone can help with making a voice louder on a recording, the background music overpowers the voice =.='

hehe also, how can we learn how to 'breathe' properly..like to hold our notes for longer...

You need to amplify your voice; there is such functions in your general music recording softwares.

To hold your notes longer you would need to exercise your diaphragm daily doing short exercises. These including holding your breathe to collapsing your lungs (that sounds ouch but you should get the idea).

Usually from memory, holding goes for 8secs initially until you get better, and collapsing goes for 20secs duration. Increase both duration when you find 8 and 20 is easier and easier. Everything comes hard, so if you're thinking, argh, I can't be bothered doing those, then you ain't going to get better.

I just wanted to ask... how long it takes to develop vibratto? I'm fourteen right now and my voice is very plain because I don't have any vibratto and I'm just wondering when most of you got it >_< And whenever I try to sing high.. my voice always cracks o_O Should I just keep warming up everyday so my voice can get used to a higher register?

Guest hmaster

ru:

for that two things need to happen.

first you must make sure your final vox tracks are all in mono. The programs i use have options for mixing down to mono. make sure you finish ALL your effects procesing before mixing down to mono because most effects are meant to be used in stereo.

(organisation is important here because you'll have a lot of files really quickly.)

secondly, after organizing your files that way, records your backing vocals, keep them in stereo apply a chorus effect to them.

see if that helps. the idea is to keep the vocals mono, so it sounds like it's coming from the middle, and the chorus stereo so it sounds full and comes from the sides of the speakers. Also if it helps, try obtaining a stereo enhancer.

I hope that helps.

Guest sugarcakes

ok 2 questions, you experts here please help me out

how do you remove vocal in cool edit pro? and audacity *if you even can remove the vocal)

also i remeber there's a converting program called CDcovert or something. it converts wavs. m4as. blah blah to mp3s. can anyone find it?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE

How do you mix your singing clip and the instrumental on goldwave? I have a singing clip and an instrumental clip...I just want them to be together so the actual song is playing while I'm singing.

Thanks, I hope the question wasn't too vague or confusing. ^_^;;