Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest steve95

How do you master the mix voice, or in other words, blend head and chest and apply it to singing? How do you not strain those notes and hold it without breaking?

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a 2-week music camp this summer, and everyday I sang wayyyy more than I do at home, and my voice improved so much there. The day after I got home, though, I tried singing and my voice was hoarse and I felt like I was straining to hit notes that are normally comfortable for me to sing. I've been home for about a week now and my voice hasn't gotten a lot better =/ Any idea on why this is happening and when my voice will go back to normal?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Illicit

What recorder does Arden Cho use? I see she uses one of those fancy huge microphones that many famous stars use o: but I have no idea what they're called. ;____;

How much $$ do they cost? Where can we find them?

Guest hinsaru

Arden Cho uses a Rode Classic

the mic ranges from $2000-$2200 depending on your provider. She also sounds like she's using an external preamp but I could be wrong.

Rode Classic isn't really used in major recording facilities, I've only used it twice throughout my career and my source would only be on pianos.

Hope this helps!

When I sing to myself my voice is quite good , but when i use my pc headphone to record , its sound difference and pathetic .

What happen  ? 

Almost everybody thinks they sound better in their head.

The recorded voice you hear is how you really sound... in other words, you aren't as good as you think.

You'll get used to how your voice sounds though, and you gotta keep working to improve it.

Guest lovenara

When I sing to myself my voice is quite good , but when i use my pc headphone to record , its sound difference and pathetic .

What happen  ? 

that's the first step into world of vocal recording,everyone face that.

Humans hear their voices from both outside their heads and within their heads,hear other from outside only.

When voice is recorded ,that's the outside voice that people hear:)

Guest lovenara

i got a question..im stuck between Audio Techinica 2020 the side cardiod n the presonus microphone...which one is better produces a better quality? I'm wanting to buy me a complete set since singing is something i enjoy doing. Thanks :D

Audio Techinica 2020 is a condenser mic for professional vocal recording in a quiet environment like studio,if you're not familiar with it,try a dynamic one first like shure SM 58 :)

Guest hinsaru

Audio Techinica 2020 is a condenser mic for professional vocal recording in a quiet environment like studio,if you're not familiar with it,try a dynamic one first like shure SM 58 :)

If you're talking about the Audiobox Studio from Presonus, that comes in a whole package with an audio interface and their first ever condenser microphone. The Audio Technica 2020 needs 48+v Phantom Power in order to operate so you will need to purchase an additional audio interface for it to even work. Unless you plan to get the Audio Technica 2020USB microphone.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Presonus products, I've dealt and repaired them many times before... but that is my opinion.

Dynamic mics such as the SM58 will also require an audio interface for you to get the quality and gain you need. Inbuilt computer A/D's do not have enough headroom nor the gain to record at a decent volume (if you ever plugged in a dynamic or karaoke mic into your computer's built-in input you'll notice it's very very soft).

Condenser mics at low budget ($100-$300 range) are made for ideal home recording usage. Unless you live outside on a highway, it will not become an issue with acoustics.. but many people who start out recording won't have the ear to notice a difference recording in a booth or not.

Anyways, you should check out the Audio Technica AT2020USB, Samson Meteor, or the Samson G-Track. Listen to demos on youtube or I can post some clips where I've mixed with artists using the same mics as listed. A microphone should be chosen not because of it's "quality" but it's characteristics to fit you and your recording needs / vocals or rap.

If you do have any more questions please feel free to ask :].

Guest lovenara

If you're talking about the Audiobox Studio from Presonus, that comes in a whole package with an audio interface and their first ever condenser microphone. The Audio Technica 2020 needs 48+v Phantom Power in order to operate so you will need to purchase an additional audio interface for it to even work. Unless you plan to get the Audio Technica 2020USB microphone.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Presonus products, I've dealt and repaired them many times before... but that is my opinion.

Dynamic mics such as the SM58 will also require an audio interface for you to get the quality and gain you need. Inbuilt computer A/D's do not have enough headroom nor the gain to record at a decent volume (if you ever plugged in a dynamic or karaoke mic into your computer's built-in input you'll notice it's very very soft).

Condenser mics at low budget ($100-$300 range) are made for ideal home recording usage. Unless you live outside on a highway, it will not become an issue with acoustics.. but many people who start out recording won't have the ear to notice a difference recording in a booth or not.

If you do have any more questions please feel free to ask :].

thnx for correcting my info,i forgot about audio interface and havent shop for gears for more than i can remember.

It's great to have a mixing engineer to help here.

Guest onnetwothreefour

Does anyone know where I can get a tutorial(video or any kind actually) online, that will teach me how to get in the habit of not "singing from my throat" but to sing properly? I know the whole breathing thing but no one ever talks about what techniques to use in the throat etc.

p.s. I remember learning about this voice forward technique where you want to try and feel a vibration in the front of your face when singing, the only problem is I can only get that effect when my head is tilted all the way down (like the example had me do), when I tilt my face upright I don't feel it anymore or I do not think I am singing with proper technique.

Guest lovenara

Does anyone know where I can get a tutorial(video or any kind actually) online, that will teach me how to get in the habit of not "singing from my throat" but to sing properly? I know the whole breathing thing but no one ever talks about what techniques to use in the throat etc.

p.s. I remember learning about this voice forward technique where you want to try and feel a vibration in the front of your face when singing, the only problem is I can only get that effect when my head is tilted all the way down (like the example had me do), when I tilt my face upright I don't feel it anymore or I do not think I am singing with proper technique.

Go to youtube and try Bret Manning,Eric arsenal.These 2 taught me something until i developed full headtone:)

Guest onnetwothreefour

Go to youtube and try Bret Manning,Eric arsenal.These 2 taught me something until i developed full headtone:)

thank you!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Su-Cia_Lim

lhi!! I just want u all give me comment how about my vocal.. is that good, bad, or something need to change..?? so u're comment will be very helpful :)

My Vocal

please give a comment!! like or dislike

thanx :)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest doctor x

How can I record live sound through a mixer and have it sound the way it comes out through a speaker?

The music I feed through the laptop to the mixer doesn't seem to have a problem when recording, but the microphone that is connected to the mixer has a problem when recording the sound on audacity. If the microphone is too low, It doesn't pick up good sound. However, if the microphone is too high it becomes all static. The microphones doesn't have a problem when I play it through the speaker, the only problem arises when recording on the computer. HELP!!!

Should I get a new program? How can I capture the sound from the microphone I hear from the speaker?

• 1 month later...
Guest KieranStrange

I saved up for months and bought a Lauten Horizon mic... I got it on sale for $700 (usually it's $1000!!!!! Eeep!), and I love it. I do all my covers and demo songs on it before I go into studio. There's some other models that are less expensive though, and do the job well.

• 2 months later...
Guest mizgurlie

Does anyone have any advice on achieving a more powerful voice?

And I would also like to know any recommendations of Mics (preferably not too expensive ones )

Guest Launchbackwards

can anybody give some advices on proper singing techniques so that i won't strain my voice, especially when i sing high notes? :(

I'm really afraid that i would hurt my vocal cords and never be able to sing ever again. :(

You have to learn how to support your voice first. Focus on keeping your air in. The higher you go, the more you have to focus on keeping the air in, hence more "support." The more you sing, the more you'll begin to feel the shapes of air resonating in your body, mouth, and nasal cavity. At no point should you be whispering nor shouting, it's somewhere in between. Your chords are quite resilient, you'd have to be screaming like a crazy person day in and out without rest to really permanently damage it. However, ample rest in between sessions of no more than 30 minutes is recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to learn how to support your voice first. Focus on keeping your air in. The higher you go, the more you have to focus on keeping the air in, hence more "support." The more you sing, the more you'll begin to feel the shapes of air resonating in your body, mouth, and nasal cavity. At no point should you be whispering nor shouting, it's somewhere in between. Your chords are quite resilient, you'd have to be screaming like a crazy person day in and out without rest to really permanently damage it. However, ample rest in between sessions of no more than 30 minutes is recommended.

Thank you! But is there anyway to tell if i'm doing it right? Like how do I know that i am keeping my air in?

Guest Launchbackwards

Thank you! But is there anyway to tell if i'm doing it right? Like how do I know that i am keeping my air in?

Barely any air will come out of your mouth.