Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

Guest joyowon

Wow! This is a great news! Thanks cutie22 and lyra for these new and wonderful pictures of our appa! Yeah! He really looks stunningly georgeous! He really looks good with those added weight...it really fits him...It looks like he's having enough rest...and I'm grateful for that.

Also, I wish he would have a TV Series that project this kind of image, I mean no mustache and with a short hair, and him as a leading role on it...ROMANTIC-COMEDY I should say? No more heart-wrenching drama as of now..hehe! Well, just a wishful thinking.

Anyway, any drama series or movies that he'll be doing in the future,well appa, rest assured your loyal fans will be supporting you all the way!

Appa, goodluck again in your new endeavor as a student in Hankuk University! =)

Again, we miss you so much and we're still waiting patiently for you!

Take care always and God bless!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest belva

Hello loves, fortunately I found my way back. Sorry for the long absence, nothings been going well lately...

Gosh all the familiar names still here. I miss you guys so much *waves.

I'm going to back track all the pages till where I last left off, so thank you ladies for all the updates!

Here's one from Soompi news page which I've also updated in the pretty much dead LJ community. >.<

Hallyu Stars to be Part of One Giant Global Asian Entertainment Agency

Korea’s top celebrities will soon meet under one roof. KeyEast (Bae Yong Joon & Kim Hyun Joong), AM Ent. (Jang Dong Gun, Hyun Bin, & Shin Min Ah), Star J Ent. (Soo Ae & Kim Nam Gil), JYP Ent. (Rain, 2PM, & miss A), SM Ent. (BoA & Lee Yeon Hee), and YG Entertainment (Gu Hye Sun & Kang Hye Jung) are joining forces to create a huge Asian entertainment agency called the United Asia Management (UAM).

The six management agencies are collaborating to expand the Korean Wave (Hallyu) into an Asian Wave (Asianllyu). United Asia Management is a joint investment venture that aims to develop a database system that manages the intellectual property rights and various dramas and films production developments.

UAM will also act as a global agency for artists promoting overseas and function as a platform for those preparing to advance their careers abroad. Final negotiations for UAM will be finished by mid-April.

http://www.soompi.com/news/hallyu-stars-to-be-part-of-one-giant-global-asian-entertainment-agency

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=076&aid=0002096843

I hope this means good news for KNG, hopefully he will be getting more exposure globally and people all around the world will be able to appreciate this amazing guy. Aww now that I'm back I realize how much I miss him.

Guest shintsuyo

It means more sharing. lol But since sharing is caring, I guess it's alright. Oh, only 59 pages on appa thread. I love him. Such great actor. He's the best one for me. Love the intensity in his acting. Even now, I cant get Bad Guy out of my head. And he's been looking so handsome. Thanks for the updates.

Guest cutie22

Hallyu Stars to be Part of One Giant Global Asian Entertainment Agency

Hi Belva, I super love your edited photo @ KNG LJ community :wub: Great job :D:D

Wow it’s a bit confusing, is it possible for those big companies uniting into one?

So one massive management agency “United Asia Management” hey? Will they manage Hallyu stars activities outside Korea only and the artists will still belong to their respective agency?

Anyway, as long as it does more good to KNG then I’m not complaining.

Guest cutie22

Oh Belva, many thanks for your translation of KNG speech, greeting his classmates and professors over @KNG LJ Community. He said “Actually I feel ashamed having to attend school when I’m already this old.... NO NO he should be proud of himself, it’s never too old for learning. KNG and classmates fighting excl.gif

I’m so glad to know that he’s living relaxing life of public service personnel nowadays which is very much evident by his recent photos at Jung Joon Ho's wedding (so he’s having 3 main meals a day plus snacks in between and plenty of naps haha :)

KNG photo with his classmates/fans and several deans @ Cyber University of Foreign Studies Friday April 8 ~ I guessed :rolleyes:

5611990381_9d23231bba_m.jpg

5612553018_4b340dc98b.jpg

Cr http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=kimnamgil&no=267222&page=1&bbs

http://www.cufsminerva.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=3182

A new video of KNG arriving and singing on stage @ Jung Joon Ho and Lee Ha Jung’s wedding 25-03-11

5611972797_e28d2d6aa2.jpg

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=kimnamgil&no=267271&page=1&bbs=

Guest belva

Yes, shintsuyo this thread is so quiet >.<

I hope UAM will mean better opportunities for him, not sure how everything will work out.

Aww new photos of KNG in school. I hope his professors think well of him and graciously help him out whenever needed. How nice will it be to be his classmates :rolleyes:

And yes, the first thing I thought of when I saw those photos of him at JJH's wedding was that he sure is leading a healthy life with sufficient food and sleep now. I'm so glad he can rest well in this 2 years of service before going back to filming.

In case others don't know what cutie22 is talking about, here' the link for the translation + video of KNG talking about Hankuk University of Foreign Studies:

http://community.livejournal.com/kim_nam_gil/19953.html

Also though the spring, fall and winter of the class film making are in youtube for quiet a while now, I haven't seen the summer version. So here it is, ripped from e-theclass.com:

Download links for all 4 season:

Spring: http://www.mediafire.com/?xk9o9capez3khjh

Summer: http://www.mediafire.com/?dvbrnd8ykkr1ymn

Fall: http://www.mediafire.com/?samlsl9edxkle6c

Winter: http://www.mediafire.com/?aqa7du1qv12qna1

And finally, I'm going to translate KNG's "Into the Wild" pictorial book from the Chinese text that I've found. But please pardon my bad command of English. I'm going to translate it in parts like I've mentioned in LJ:

http://community.livejournal.com/kim_nam_gil/20206.html

For now, here's the foreword and content:

Kim Nam Gil, journey and record Into the Wild

For my beloved fans

I took a break for about two months after filming Queen Seon Deok. Usually I would just stay at home to sleep, not stepping out of my house at all. But I’m unable to do so this time round. I will have to temporarily leave all of you after filming my new drama. Even with my optimistic personality, I still feel vexed when I think of having to be away from you all for some time. During the past two months when I’m away from home and went to travel, I produced a thin book. My current appearance as well as the diary I’ve written for a long time will be included in it. Viewing it once in a while so as to not forget each other, my life’s record.

Sincerely yours,

actor Kim Nam Gil

contents

006 Prologue

016 Actor, Kim Nam Gil

018 Hello, sweety!

020 Goodbye Solo

022 The Morning I Wish Everything was Back to Normal

026 Habit

028 Type AB + Pisces

030 Quietly Listening Attentively

034 Just, a Record

038 If One can be Full Without Eating

040 Breathing of a Flower Pot

042 Mom

044 Bath House and Billiard Hall

046 World’s End Girlfriend

048 My First Train Travel

052 Style

054 Las Vegas

056 Cigarettes and Baseball

058 Back View

066 Valentine’s Day

068 Beeper

070 Not Gaining Weight

072 Newspaper Delivery

074 Passport Number

076 Between Afternoon 5 O’clock to 6 O’clock

080 Justice

082 The Karaoke Room that I go alone

084 Jae Young Hyung

086 How are People Beautiful like this

088 Into the Wild

094 Smallest Status

096 Rebuilding

098 Reason to Live

100 Once Upon a Time

102 Epilogue

Let me just say this, though I've only read about 4 pages (or paragraph since a page is only about 1 para long) of what he wrote, I'm deeply touched. I don't exactly know why. This man is just so precious, so poetic, so humble and even at times very vulnerable. The more I read about him the more I love him as who he is. So glad to be able to peek into his personal life :wub:

PS: Please do let me know of any grammatical errors or mistake in my translation so I can improve the quality over at LJ. Thanks in advance :)

Guest belva

Here's the prologue from his book:

Prologue

Going unnoticed, water vapor filled the window rear.

Since when did it start flowing down silently.

The window froze, the ground soaked, even the wind was moist.

The whole world was wet after the rain.

People asked what is my name.

Even though I have said it loudly many times

yet all the time, like it was the first, my name was asked.

Indistinct face, even the name is forgotten.

Facing the sky, calling out my own name countless times.

That rumbling sound dispersed, once again forming rain, dripping down.

That is already a story from long ago.

There is a doll with two heads.

Though there is only one heart, the doll has two faces.

Only one body, but two faces

living is twice as strenuous.

But the doll is very happy.

Because it can use two different faces

living a life different from all others.

The teenager placed a notebook by his pillow.

Because he came down with an illness

an illness that has to be remembered no matter what.

87 thousand 6 hundred hours of records

his sorrowful notebook.

Never once had he shown anybody records of his innermost thoughts.

Now he very carefully opens up the notebook.

People start reading his notebook.

It includes both the story of the rain and the doll, the old and worn notebook

I think most of you remember that he once mentioned in an interview that people don't remember him, that there's once when 3 movies he was in was showing but most people don't know it's the same guy. Looks like he's writing from experience.

I think its because of the repeated mention of the rain, or because of the cold weather he described or even the doll, but I get this very lonely and sad vibe from this prologue :(

Once again, please do correct me if I made any errors.

Guest cutie22

Kim Nam Gil, journey and record Into the Wild

For my beloved fans

I took a break for about two months after filming Queen Seon Deok. Usually I would just stay at home to sleep, not stepping out of my house at all. But I’m unable to do so this time round. I will have to temporarily leave all of you after filming my new drama. Even with my optimistic personality, I still feel vexed when I think of having to be away from you all for some time. During the past two months when I’m away from home and went to travel, I produced a thin book. My current appearance as well as the diary I’ve written for a long time will be included in it. Viewing it once in a while so as to not forget each other, my life’s record.

Sincerely yours,

actor Kim Nam Gil

Wow, that’s pretty much what I myself do, at home sleeping, sleeping and sleeping all the times. Can’t believe that’s what he usually does too

OMG! This’s so awesome peeking into KNG personal life records especially his innermost thoughts, knowing more about himself as a person. 87600 hours of his life records which basically means 10 long years of his life journey, all those lonely hardships that he’d experienced… I’m anticipating to read more ;) And wow he seems to enjoy writing poems, such a deep and down to earth person.

As always, thank sooooo much Belva, I really appreciate your wonderful translations. It’s a very long list of contents there, hope that you don’t have to work too hard <_<

I think most of you remember that he once mentioned in an interview that people don't remember him, that there's once when 3 movies he was in was showing but most people don't know it's the same guy. Looks like he's writing from experience.

Yes, I remembered it was in the Allure interview that he mentioned people don’t notice & remember the actor “Kim Nam Gil” BUT THAT’S ALL HISTORY NOW. Remembering such I really admire his clever thought of focusing all the attention on portraying his character well and so at least the audience will remember the character he played, even when they don’t know the actor Kim Nam Gil. Now, for me that’s a true actor B)

Guest belva

Yes, nothing can be better than having a peek into his personal life! We get to know him more as himself instead of him as an actor (which interviews covered). So glad he shared his stories with us :wub: I'm hoping there will be a second book... greedy me. Though I'm sure he's definitely jumping back to film after his service.

Here are more translation from the book:

Actor,

Kim Nam Gil

I feel vexed.

I want to transform into a mountain,

or into a tree.

I, being a human

hope people will remember my words,

only when living as a lonely wanderer

will I be able to persist

the only life I lead.

That is to say, actor Kim Nam Gil

if I give up trying to surpass “me”,

once again returning to that place

and living like I used to

might be thought of as

an impossible task.

*This work is inspired by Susan Sontag’s

“I, etcetera”

While crossing the desert at Las Vegas

I saw this cute little guy.

“Where did you come from?”

“From the earth.”

“Why did you come here?”

“I’m taking a trip.”

“Why the trip?”

“To look at different places.”

“Important things cannot be seen with the eyes.

They can only be seen clearly with the heart.”

“Hello, sweety! In this way

I’ll then be able to see you.”

Hello,

sweety!

Whenever filming wraps

I feel exhausted and might fall sick too.

After concluding <Goodbye Solo>

departing from the character Ji An

my heart aches so bad.

I went to see a psychiatrist

did not feel like meeting anyone.

In that period of time

my height increased by a palm’s length

even the accumulated snow has melted.

Concealed poverty

betrayed friends

healing the wounds alone

Ji An who is always lonely.

After taking Soo Hee away from Min Ho

Ji An said

“If only there’s one person in this world

who understand me, that would be great.”

After saying that line

I cried for three days.

However Min Ho said

“If the time comes when you want to discard, you can

but stop at love, try it.”

If not for that sentence through Ji An

I might have given up on life.

Goodbye Solo

I feel sad reading about his loneliness and all, though I know everyone faces such episode in their life at some point, but an actor like him... Especially the entry on Goodbye Solo, that he might have almost gave up on life! I really had tears brimming in my eyes after reading that :tears:

But I'm glad that he got the fame he deserves now. I hope he knows that many of us truly love him and hopefully that might give him some comfort from:

"only when living as a lonely wanderer

the only life I lead.

That is to say, actor Kim Nam Gil"

Alternatively, he should stop being a "wanderer" and get married to a loving wife that can be by his side whenever he needs someone.

Sigh. I miss him so much! Might just start watching Bad Guy again... Nono too many things on hand... Just 456 days to go before he's back!!

Guest cutie22

Wow more of KNG’s writings on his past inner feelings, thanks thanks Belva ;)

Reading his sad poems made me sadder. It seems like KNG can be very vulnerable at times. Nevertheless, after all those battles of hardship, I hope he becomes a better and stronger person each time, fighting!

Re. Goodbye Solo, I think the character Ji An must have something similar connecting with KNG and that’s why he’s so much affected by Ji An’s situations to the extent that he wanted to end everything. Or maybe he's so deeply into his character and struggle to withdraw? Oh so heartbreaking, poor KNG. I haven’t watched Goodbye Solo, thus I can’t relate much about Ji An, will definitely watch it before he’s back.

I feel sad reading about his loneliness and all, though I know everyone faces such episode in their life at some point, but an actor like him... Especially the entry on Goodbye Solo, that he might have almost gave up on life! I really had tears brimming in my eyes after reading that :tears:

But I'm glad that he got the fame he deserves now. I hope he knows that many of us truly love him and hopefully that might give him some comfort from:

"only when living as a lonely wanderer

the only life I lead.

That is to say, actor Kim Nam Gil"

Alternatively, he should stop being a "wanderer" and get married to a loving wife that can be by his side whenever he needs someone.

Sigh. I miss him so much! Might just start watching Bad Guy again... Nono too many things on hand... Just 456 days to go before he's back!!

Count me in for the love and support. But he can have both, also the alternative ie. KNG please find a soulmate. I remember KNG said during his 2010 fan meeting that he’s intending to live alone (oh no, he can’t be single forever). KNG said that there won’t be a woman who can understand his commitment towards his work. It’s not true, I’m sure that day will come when he meet his Mrs. Perfect, yeah :wub:

Guest belva

I believe he should be better able to withdraw from his character now, I sure hope so... It will be so heartbreaking if he's still so affected by the roles he play. But then again, it's when he truly live the role that we feel so strongly for the character he play. This reminds me - I think one of the reason KNG had a huge crush on LYW (saying she's her type, a good mom and all) is because of his character Bidam. And maybe the noona mishil crush? too. haha. Now I'm just imagining things. Kinda miss QSD... Speaking of which, Go Hyeon Jeong was ranked 5th in Section TV for the most charismatic characters and actresses: http://ethlenn.blogspot.com/2011/04/gutter-best-place-for-me-gutter.html

"Ji An must have something similar connecting with KNG and that’s why he’s so much affected by Ji An’s situations to the extent that he wanted to end everything."

Yup, I thought so too. It seems he can relate to the loneliness Ji An felt, in addition to himself revisiting those emotions when he plays the character only adds to the intensity :tears:

No... He can't live alone. That would be far too lonely. I too believe there's someone who can understand his commitment towards his work and even find it attractive. *whispers like me and many ladies out there blush.gif Meanwhile I hope his friends and buddies will keep him company. esp Jeong Jae Young ^^

I kinda compiled all I can find about his voluntary works in this post at LJ, there's some translation over there as well so do hop over to check it out. Don't think I can paste everything here, it's such a long post :sweatingbullets:

Guest belva

Thanks for the great news lyra! Glad that there are so many fans from Vietnam who love him and his character :D Don't you wish there's an award ceremony so he can visit your country? haha. Like the recent rainbow awards or something in Hong Kong though I think only the director of Bad Guy won and not the cast. Can't remember the details. I sure hope there's one at mine but Singapore is too freaking small. But guess even if there's any now, he will be stuck in his office.

I can sure tell that he's enjoying his time as an "ordinary" citizen with his bright smile and chubby cheeks ^_^ I even feel kind of bad that he's going to be stressed out/ lack of personal time when he gets back on screen. But still he will be doing what he loves and we get to see more of him so it's still good. Just hoping that he gets plenty of rest and not tire himself out.

Yes, I think it will be hard for actors to withdraw from their characters if they have devoted all their time and energy on them. The unsettled and hanging relationship will surely make it harder for them to withdraw since it still feels unfinished. I'm really hoping he can do some light dramas or movies with comedy and all. No more dying characters...

His lead roles are by far all deep and dark to a certain extend, I'm sure it will help in his acting career if he takes on a completely different type of role. Even something silly so we can see him dance and sing to "congratulations~~~" with pom pom in his hands. hahaha. Sorry I've been watching too much of 49 days :lol:

Can't wait to know what will be his first project after 2 years of break. Am already looking forward to it though it's still more than a year away! Miss him much

Guest belva

Wow that's a huge fan base! Not surprising that Kim Nam Gil won in the fav character and couple with LYW, the couple and him definitely stole lots of hearts ^^ And that's some nice photos, I do remember overtheaddiction too.

Talking about Bideok, here's a very cute MV I saw recently which I can't resist uploading to YouTube with captions:

http://youtu.be/w_s-7FmASFA

And here are few other vids that I haven't seen till recently as well, some includes rough translation:

http://kim-nam-gil.livejournal.com/22037.html

I especially like the 15 seconds BTS from Be Strong Geum Soon. It had me giggling non-stop  :lol:

Thanks for the update, nice to see him being mentioned once in a while.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jjowah

omg those papparazzi photographs are so WOWWWWWWWWWW. So handsome in ordinary clothes! I guess he's a public duty officer.

Guest teukiie

I just finished watching Bad Guy, and he is so smexy in it :3 I’ve also watched Lovers before but I never really “noticed” him >< hope to see this thread more lively, kekeke :3

Hello,

I am a new fan of KNG. I've watched most of the movies and dramas he has made thus far. Can someone explain to me a few things?

a. Is he not in the military? Isn't he supposed to be in uniform and on a military base somewhere? I don't understand why he is riding a bike on the street and he doesn't look like he has a military hair cut. What does it mean that he is a public servant/civil servant?

b. What exactly are his illnesses? It got me a little concerned that he has to go to the hospital for medication. This seems a bit serious to me.

c. Does anyone know his background/story? Rain talks about his struggle to become famous and about his mom dying. Kim Hyun Joong talks about being homeless. Jang Dong Gun states he didn't grow up poor so he doesn't have a story of struggling to make it in the business. What is KNG's story?

Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions.

Edit: One thing I want to add is that this guy is an awesome actor. I honestly think he might be one of the best actors in Korea. He is just that good. Many of the actors seem to be afraid to take risks when choosing acting parts because they don't want to mess up their good guy/girl image. They play the same characters over and over never playing different types of people. From all of the movies and dramas I've watched of Nam Gil, he totally becomes the character. He looks different in each drama/movie. I'm not just talking about his hair and clothes but his mannerisms, his walk, his stares/looks and they way he talks are all different depending on the character he plays. I'm so glad I've discovered this guy and I'm glad this forum exists.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lualm

hello Kim Nam Gil fans! have you been to his fan club lately?

We're looking for dedicated fans who would like to moderate his club. Anyone interested can send me a PM. :)

http://www.soompi.com/fanclub/kim-nam-gil

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!! *waves*

1. yes he in the military but he is classified in level 4 : public service personnel due to health reasons (he got previous operations on his knee because of the car accident during his drama Lovers; he also got accident last november 2009 while shooting Queen Seon Deok; and suffered hiatal hernia last may 2010). he received 5 weeks basic training and after that he was assigned in the Registry Division in Gangnam-mu. ^^. So technically he is a military personnel but can wear civilian clothes. he is currently taking up chinese studies in Hankuk University.

2.his exact illness was not disclosed. but i think it is related to his hernia attack last may. he then admitted that during his fan meeting he wasnt feeling very well. (so i just can imagine all his efforts to entertain his fans. hardwork indeed.) he also have dilemma in gaining weight.  :(

3.with regards to his background story..i have been an admirer of KNG for a year now, and so far i didnt bump to his family background. i think he let that remain private. his book into the wild, so far is the only gateway about how he feels and think outside the showbiz arena. you can check the contents here (translated by bellva ) ;);)

yeah i so much agree with you. he is one of those rare kind of actors who just pick a character .being a realist actor he exudes himself and merge this character into him. thus becoming one. i can see a bidam different to geun wook to kang mu (portrait of beauty).

i read somewhere that he's one of the dark horses of chungmuro films (korean hollywood)

i hope i was able to help you out ^^~

Thank you so much for all the information you provided. I've been away from my computer for over a month and just saw your reply. I can't wait until he is out of the military and back at making movies. I just finished watching, No Regret, where he plays a homosexual guy. Everything I've seen him in, he has been fantastic. I'm not sure what "dark horse of Chungmuro films" means but if it means he is one of the best in Korea....I totally agree with that statement.

Guest joyowon

Huhuhu...still very quiet in here...hope to hear an updated news about him...really, really miss you already appa!