Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

Just now, wanda77 said:

Planned to watch Live Up To Your Name after finishing, but :cry: didn't resist and now i have to wait long days for the rest... So happy that KNG's drama has good ratings and reviews. Personally, I think that the script has minor flaws, but again I'm not quite into fantasy drama and I'm working in cardiac surgery theater, so, is hard to get over those medical moments.

Then again, this year I saw some good dramas, with amazing acting and KNG is one of my forever favorite. 

LUTY is still just a so-so for me (and yeah I am not into fantasy drama as well). It was okay at first but the story seems to drag sometimes and yes there are flaws so I am mainly watching it to see KNG... after all this is his come back in the small screen after 4 years and his acting improved even more. Whenever he shows up, no matter what flaws the story have...I just can't help but get mesmerized. I do hope he get another drama after this ... *please don't go on hiatus after this*

• Like 1

I don't know, my sensation is that all the actors prefer to do movies then dramas, some of them tell directly that they didn't stand this schedule with filming while the drama is aired, or changing the script for viewers desire and having the script in the morning of shooting. They will do a drama from time to time, but look how many good actors are doing just movies lately.It was such a pleasure to see Secret Forest this year, worth the waiting for good acting, good plot... not just looks. But then again I'm that kind of person who watch a drama for someone, especially KNG...:wub:  but he is not my only crush   :blush:  .

On 9/18/2017 at 8:57 PM, yanki said:

LUTY is still just a so-so for me (and yeah I am not into fantasy drama as well). It was okay at first but the story seems to drag sometimes and yes there are flaws so I am mainly watching it to see KNG... after all this is his come back in the small screen after 4 years and his acting improved even more. Whenever he shows up, no matter what flaws the story have...I just can't help but get mesmerized. I do hope he get another drama after this ... *please don't go on hiatus after this*

He did not go into hiatus. He was just focusing on his movie career instead of drama. I must say it's a good move from his side to focus on movie since he is getting older and we know how fickle drama industry is compared to movie. Dramaland is governed by fandom and so always the better projects will go to younger "IT" actors. In contrast, movies focused more on the craft and talent of the actors. I believe he is aware of that and slowly building his rapport in Chungmuro. Though I personally love drama and could not care less about movies, I totally understand his choice. Also, I think he will drop by to do drama probably once in a few years. 

18 hours ago, wanda77 said:

I don't know, my sensation is that all the actors prefer to do movies then dramas, some of them tell directly that they didn't stand this schedule with filming while the drama is aired, or changing the script for viewers desire and having the script in the morning of shooting. They will do a drama from time to time, but look how many good actors are doing just movies lately.It was such a pleasure to see Secret Forest this year, worth the waiting for good acting, good plot... not just looks. But then again I'm that kind of person who watch a drama for someone, especially KNG...:wub:  but he is not my only crush   :blush:  .

Drama and movie actors are being graded differently and it's obvious the ranking of movie actors are higher despite that they are less popular (its the opposite when comes to Hollywood). Korean movies don't have that many fans but their dramas definitely have large fanbase. The fact that Kim Nam Gil can carved his name in Chungmuro and getting casted along Chungmuro heavyweights meant to say that he is being taken seriously as an actor. I ofc prefer dramas in so many ways though I don't have many favourites and not liking much of the younger actors except Park Hyung Sik. I always prefer the seasoned actors like KNG and Lee Jun Ki because I find their acting is on different level than the current and "IT" actors.

He did not go into hiatus. He was just focusing on his movie career instead of drama. I must say it's a good move from his side to focus on movie since he is getting older and we know how fickle drama industry is compared to movie. Dramaland is governed by fandom and so always the better projects will go to younger "IT" actors. In contrast, movies focused more on the craft and talent of the actors. I believe he is aware of that and slowly building his rapport in Chungmuro. Though I personally love drama and could not care less about movies, I totally understand his choice. Also, I think he will drop by to do drama probably once in a few yea

Yeah I was talking about his hiatus on TV drama since I only get to see him in movies after his drama Shark.

Drama and movie actors are being graded differently and it's obvious the ranking of movie actors are higher despite that they are less popular (its the opposite when comes to Hollywood). Korean movies don't have that many fans but their dramas definitely have large fanbase. The fact that Kim Nam Gil can carved his name in Chungmuro and getting casted along Chungmuro heavyweights meant to say that he is being taken seriously as an actor. I ofc prefer dramas in so many ways though I don't have many favourites and not liking much of the younger actors except Park Hyung Sik. I always prefer the seasoned actors like KNG and Lee Jun Ki because I find their acting is on different level than the current and "IT" actors.

Me too. I like actors like them who just don't rely on "looks" but their acting. They may not be handsome at first glance (to some ) but their acting and charisma on screen is so strong that they started to look super handsome lol.

I wonder though if they get paid a lot in movies? Because I read an article before on how some of them don't get paid that much for their movie - no matter how big that movie has earned and even though they are pretty popular.

Highest paid actor in Korea is Song Kang Ho and he makes 10억 a movie approximately USD800K.

Actually actors who made their fame from dramas need to try to do dramas from time to time to sustain popularity as movie opportunities for them is this unattainable fruit they want more of as it brings critical acclaim and awards. So many take a pittance fee just to get into a movie production. Dramas pay well. Someone like KNG should be able to get 40-70k an episode which is really good money and I'm glad his drama return is met with great success. CFs though is the biggest money generator for all actors. But without hit dramas... CFs dun happen. I'm happy that KNG is enjoying his second wave of fame with LUTYN, the timing of the movie release with this drama definitely did wonders to the box office.

P.s- especially since the reviews were less than stellar tbh.

• Like 2

Ah, but nobody made comments with that incredible, sensual kiss that KNG delivered on the last episode aired! Melting... At least I was not disappointed with some awkward just touching lips. For those who want to rewatch..

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks @kimchigal2  I've never heard of Song Kang-ho before so I was surprised... I thought those Halyu stars will be the highest paid actors for movies.

Me too. I do hope that he will do another romcom or maybe with  a bit of action too - I love his fighting scenes in QSD and The Pirates and I hope he will not take a long time break from drama land after this.

I wonder if he have a gf though... he's really good at hiding his private life. Almost everything about his dating life ends up as nothing but rumors.

1 hour ago, yanki said:

Thanks @kimchigal2  I've never heard of Song Kang-ho before so I was surprised... I thought those Halyu stars will be the highest paid actors for movies.

Me too. I do hope that he will do another romcom or maybe with  a bit of action too - I love his fighting scenes in QSD and The Pirates and I hope he will not take a long time break from drama land after this.

I wonder if he have a gf though... he's really good at hiding his private life. Almost everything about his dating life ends up as nothing but rumors.

I'm still very suspicious on Son Yejin and him.  Cos the korean press did catch them "dating".  Not sure if its gone underground or maybe split up, but the word out is that they were definitely going out.

Movies and dramas are such a different ball game here in Korea.  Hallyu stars rank the lowest in the movies world in Korea.  Thats why Song Joong Ki's new movie was heavily panned by critics and when Lee Min Ho did Gangnam Blues, at the Blue Dragon Awards, you could see he was not at all highly regarded by the people in the field.  Movie makers take their craft very seriously and thats why real actors matters most not idols or hallyu heart throbs.  Most of them are willing to uglify themsleves for street cred in the movies scene but still the roles keep going to the same people  - the exclusive 10 million club.  Actors who basically are able to bring 10mil viewers to their films.  This exclusive club consist of Song Kang Ho,  Hwang Jung Min, Choi MIn Shik, Won BIn (?) and most recently Yoo Ah In.  Its like movies headlined by them are a guarantee box office hit, so their fees are highest amongst in the field already.  But Yoo Ah In is only 50/50 compared to Song Kang Ho.  His latest movie Taxi Driver has already surpassed 11 mil admissions.

It will be great to watch him in Saguek as well.  Been too long.  He's at the perfect age where there's a bevy of good A list actresses to match with him.  Moon Chae Won, Han Hyo Joo, Gong Hyo Jin, etc.  If only he's willing to do more shows, I think he's very much as exciting as Gong Yoo now for a drama showing.

• Like 2

Cho Seung Woo, Choi Min-sik, Jang Dong-gun, Won Bin, Kim Yoon-seok, Hwang Jung-min, Kang Dong-won and Ryu Seung-ryong in the second-highest tier of actor salaries in Chungmuro ( ₩600 million)  just lower than Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun and Ha Jung-woo. i'm not sure about Lee Jung Jae, first or second, but they are the highest paid .

• Like 1

I can't believe I only recently heard of KNG through LUTYN. He is soooo talented, he has perfect timing for comedic moments and the heavier scenes make my heart ache. He deserves nothing but the best scripts bc he will act he hell out of it! Also, oppa is super sexy!!! This is the only drama I'm currently watching at the moment and I'm soo glad I gave it a try. I really hope he does a project with HJW :)

• Like 2

No offence, just personal opinion, Lee Min Ho was never an acting maestro, never impressed me with his acting;  Song Joong Ki in Battleship Island was incredible stiff, he couldn't think of anything to make something special with his role... and so on. But there are exceptions, with models turned actors (they studied movie and theater in the end), like Ju Ji Hoon (an example) he was blunt in Goong, despite the success, but improved his acting step by step.  Song Kang Ho never studied acting, but did movies that turned in hits and ...he is now very recognized.

And I'm sorry for talking about unrelated stuff on KNG thread. I do not have any particular desire for KNG, but if he has a bit of luck he will be cast in a hit movie and gain more recognition in that world, even outside South Korea.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, kimchigal2 said:

Cos the korean press did catch them "dating"

Then they were really caught outside dating? I wish there's a picture of it lol. Although I am not sure why would they need to hide when both of them are in the right age to marry.

Yoo ah In is also popular in drama land... never thought that he's also popular in movie land. No wonder Lee Min Ho's movie wasn't that talked about. I've always wondered about that since he is one of the most popular actor in Korea and got lots of fans so I really thought his movie will end up in top grossing list in Korea.

Won Bin can act although I never see him in TV drama anymore it seems like he's still well known in Korea. I used to have a crush on him lol.

I wonder about Celebrities like Jun Ji Hyun, Kim So Hyun, Lee Joon- Ki ... how are they in movie land?

15 minutes ago, Camillajames said:

I can't believe I only recently heard of KNG through LUTYN. He is soooo talented, he has perfect timing for comedic moments and the heavier scenes make my heart ache. He deserves nothing but the best scripts bc he will act he hell out of it! Also, oppa is super sexy!!! This is the only drama I'm currently watching at the moment and I'm soo glad I gave it a try. I really hope he does a project with HJW :)

I love him whenever he's doing something funny too. It's amazing how he make funny faces then have a different aura later on. Sometimes I can't help but think that he's a bit similar to Jun Ji-Hyun... since they are not afraid to mess up with their face. And yes, I agree he is still so sexy (hot) lol.

I see a lot of people wanting to pair him up with HJW. HJW have a really strong aura (Especially in Sageuk) I wonder what will happen if both of them act in a Sageuk drama... hah! that will be like a battle of presence.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wanda77 said:

but if he has a bit of luck he will be cast in a hit movie and gain more recognition in that world, even outside South Korea.

Yeah... I think he need to have or choose a project that the masses will like. Lee Joon Ki was able to gain more fans after his drama Scarlet Heart Ryeo became popular overseas. Gong Yoo also get that with his drama Goblin.  As much as I liked LUTYN... I do not think that it will be able to do that. He's gaining more fans because of it yes, but I don't think it will be that big.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yanki said:

Yeah... I think he need to have or choose a project that the masses will like. Lee Joon Ki was able to gain more fans after his drama Scarlet Heart Ryeo became popular overseas. Gong Yoo also get that with his drama Goblin.  As much as I liked LUTYN... I do not think that it will be able to do that. He's gaining more fans because of it yes, but I don't think it will be that big.

Its actually killing it in the ratings department in SEA as well.  Problem is now TVN is focusing on extending their own station reach in individual coutries that is why they are no longer licensing content to channels like VIKI and dramafever it seems.  They seem to be moving towards partnerships with netflix and HULU as well... definitely interesting.  The buzz in Korea for the drama is really good at the moment, more promotions can definitely be done for it.

I think it will be good if he does his next project with the main stations then again TVN has the best writers and content at the moment.  

Industry & Actors Assessment

Spoiler

Jun Ji Hyun is solid gold in movie land as well.  But her projects are mainly emsemble ones featuring the chungmuro greats so its hard to tell if her star power will transcend if she holds it up solo.

I got severely bashed in the Lee Joon Ki thread - but truth is he's a B-lister in Korea ATM considering none of his recent dramas in the last 4 years fared well.  He's not a ratings guarantee either.  I doubt the movies side likes casting him either.  Haven't heard of him starring in a local Korean movie for the longest time.

You know what is strange - while everyone has been going on and on about this big name star and that big name star, I feel the star with most consistency both in dramas and moderate in movies is actually Park Bo Young.  Very underrated as she keeps a terribly low profile but she's consistent.

I hope Kim Nam Gil won't make his fans wait too long, and defiitely not go back to filming those depressive noir films again.  BTS shows him very happy and light hearted.  I hope after the drama ends, he'll bring the happiness of Heo Im with him and no longer be saddled by sad thoughts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yanki said:

I hope the success of his current drama will bring him even better roles bc he's soo talented. Also, it makes me sad that he doesn't think he's very handsome bc he's damn hot and super charming. Honestly, oppa is the whole package: talented, sexy tush, caring, good singer, tall, beautiful smile and a great sense of humor. From the kiss scene in LUTYN, I think he is also a good kisser :wub:

• Like 3

Thanks @YuKo Wong I wish I can read the interview in full, some of the words were cut.  Hahaha no wonder, I always thought that KNG's crying in his previous projects (that I watched) weren't that...well? So his crying in LUTYN really surprised me.

4 hours ago, Camillajames said:

I hope the success of his current drama will bring him even better roles bc he's soo talented. Also, it makes me sad that he doesn't think he's very handsome bc he's damn hot and super charming. Honestly, oppa is the whole package: talented, sexy tush, caring, good singer, tall, beautiful smile and a great sense of humor. From the kiss scene in LUTYN, I think he is also a good kisser

Well.... I saw him in doing more than hot steamy kiss lol but I honestly never noticed his kiss scenes except here in LUTYN. In BAD he also had a kiss scene but I think the camera angle didn't show it good imo at least. I didn't really watched Shark so I can't tell about that one. In his movie Lover's Vanished he also had a long kiss scene but the camera focus wasn't on the lips so I couldn't really tell much and it was dark ( Yeah I was curious enough to watch his kiss scenes) after seeing JCW's kiss scenes... he was really good at it so it made me curious with Bidam's actor that  haha!

Just now, kimchigal2 said:

I couldn't finish One Day. 20min into the movie and I was really not feeling it. Not sure if it's the directing  (feels very grey) or the lack of chemistry btw him and the actress. The storyline didn't flow quite well.

Then I read the credentials of the director and knew why. He also scripted and directed Man And Woman with Gong Yoo. After I saw that movie, I was so angry for the entire week after. I couldn't believe such a useless male protagonist will exist. 

That's why I hope for his own mental health since he's struggled some with depression that he do a few more healing movies and dramas before taking on this genre of films again.

Yep it was just like a calm movie even though it was supposed to be dramatic. I thought the main lead was the girl so most of the focus in the story is with her. Although I really thought he was so hot in that movie with his suit.

I am just glad that movie wasn't about their love story... on how he will be able to move on from his grief after falling in love with someone.

In KNG's work, the ones that I didn't really like is Shark and Bad Guy

I couldn't finish One Day. 20min into the movie and I was really not feeling it. Not sure if it's the directing  (feels very grey) or the lack of chemistry btw him and the actress. The storyline didn't flow quite well.

Then I read the credentials of the director and knew why. He also scripted and directed Man And Woman with Gong Yoo. After I saw that movie, I was so angry for the entire week after. I couldn't believe such a useless male protagonist will exist. 

That's why I hope for his own mental health since he's struggled some with depression that he do a few more healing movies and dramas before taking on this genre of films again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kimchigal2 said:

I'm still very suspicious on Son Yejin and him.  Cos the korean press did catch them "dating".  Not sure if its gone underground or maybe split up, but the word out is that they were definitely going out.

Movies and dramas are such a different ball game here in Korea.  Hallyu stars rank the lowest in the movies world in Korea.  Thats why Song Joong Ki's new movie was heavily panned by critics and when Lee Min Ho did Gangnam Blues, at the Blue Dragon Awards, you could see he was not at all highly regarded by the people in the field.  Movie makers take their craft very seriously and thats why real actors matters most not idols or hallyu heart throbs.  Most of them are willing to uglify themsleves for street cred in the movies scene but still the roles keep going to the same people  - the exclusive 10 million club.  Actors who basically are able to bring 10mil viewers to their films.  This exclusive club consist of Song Kang Ho,  Hwang Jung Min, Choi MIn Shik, Won BIn (?) and most recently Yoo Ah In.  Its like movies headlined by them are a guarantee box office hit, so their fees are highest amongst in the field already.  But Yoo Ah In is only 50/50 compared to Song Kang Ho.  His latest movie Taxi Driver has already surpassed 11 mil admissions.

It will be great to watch him in Saguek as well.  Been too long.  He's at the perfect age where there's a bevy of good A list actresses to match with him.  Moon Chae Won, Han Hyo Joo, Gong Hyo Jin, etc.  If only he's willing to do more shows, I think he's very much as exciting as Gong Yoo now for a drama showing.

They were caught dating?

Where is Dispatch in this? Hey, they outed my Lee Jun Ki (which I am still angry of for sabotaging him in "My Ear's Candy"). 

Anyway, I was also suspicious of him and Son Ye Jin. He was so expressive of his interest in her and you could tell the difference in his action towards SYJ and say Kim Ah Joong (just an example) during press conference. And let's not forget his shout-out to SYJ during the press-con for her movie "Blood and Ties".

I am sorry but I find Korean cinema quite prejudice. Always the same actors all the time. While I do understand that they took acting crafts seriously but without opportunity, actors also could not grow (oh how I appreciate Viola Davis' speech when winning an Emmy).

Anyway, I am hoping to watch Kim Nam Gil taking on sageuk for his next drama. It would be nice to watch him being paired up with Ha Ji Won or Moon Chae Won (though I still want her in sageuk with Lee Jun Ki) or perhaps a reunion with Lee Yo Won?

12 hours ago, yanki said:

I wonder about Celebrities like Jun Ji Hyun, Kim So Hyun, Lee Joon- Ki ... how are they in movie land?

Jun Ji Hyun is just an "IT actress", very popular but not heavyweight like Jeon Do Yeon. Kim So Hyun is average. As for Lee Jun Ki, sure anyone is wondering whatever happened to that promising career especially post "The King and the Clown". I was wondering too since he did not do any movie since 2007. Well, at least some part of it had to do with him being on the blacklist of SK's former President Lee Myung Bak whose political party continue to rule the country for years even after he no longer in office and all I can say, his career partly sabotaged by some nasty politicians. KNG's "Portrait of a Beauty" co-star Kim Gyu Ri also on the list and suffered even worst fate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1