Lee Joon Gi 이준기 | [Drama 2023] "Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramoon"

Admin

The Beautiful Lee Joon Gi.

After he tried so hard to emphasize his masculinity with roles that were strong on romance and action, it is somewhat ironic that because of Moon Lovers Joon is again being seen as beautiful. No doubt it was the weight loss that resurrected the visual appearance of Gong gil yet it was the role itself which showed him as a bit of a bad boy that made us believe he could look like that and be masculine.  We all know that too often men who are that handsome have the potential of being egoistical jerks.  Life can disrupt that by giving the guy a tender heart while making other aspects of life difficult.  That is what happened to Wang So and Lee Joon gi. One got a scar on his face the other a scar on his heart. The other saving grace for Wang So and Joon is that look of vulnerability that lets all the personal pain both have experienced shine through. I am getting hot just thinking about  that look. So here we are...all his fans...his ardent admirers...drooling and waiting for his next instagram post or photo shoot. How can we not when we have a real life Wang So? 

I am anxious to see what role he chooses next. I would hope that through this role he has discovered that he doesn't have to mask his looks anymore in hanbok and tied up hair.  I want him in something modern and action oriented  I want him to defy style and fashion and let his hair grow. I want him to capitalize on his looks especially now as he reaches his prime and his face reflects the sexy maturity of a man who has become even more beautiful ten years later.  Come on Joon, show us the sexy detective or gorgeous corporate tycoon. Show us the martial arts master, the model, the horseman. Show us everything you've got.  We can take it! 

• Like 17

On 10/8/2016 at 10:52 PM, jubiemon said:

Hi guys! 

I'm new to this thread, but I really liked Lee Junki from the movie, King and the Clown, and now I was reminded of his talent in Scarlet Heart Ryeo. My friend and I both think he is extremely talented. Unfortunately, Scarlet Heart Ryeo's plot/editing/character development of other characters don't really showcase his full potential. We both really felt that Lee Junki kind of became less invested in the Wang So character from ep 9 afterwards. He still does a good job, but there is still a difference in his passion for the drama which translated to his acting. Feel free to check out our blog post for a fuller explanation: https://thedramafilesblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/05/file-no-moon-lovers-scarlet-heart-ryeo-ep-13/

I just hope Lee Junki picks a drama/movie next time that works more in his favour next time. The man has talent and an interesting personality!

Hi. I am new to this thread but been a fan of Lee Joon Gi for quite sometimes. I was smitten by him after watching "Scholar Who Walks The Night" and "Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo" cemented my love for him. I know that he was very popular way back when but I was feeling indifferent about him since I never roped myself into anything "IT of the moment" and my bad that I never bothered to check on his works back then, Anyway, I have been checking most of his works after being greatly impressed over his performance in SWWTN and my personal favourite is "Time Between Dog and Wolf". Actually my mom has been an even longer fan of LJG after watching his spectacular turn in "Arang and The Magistrate" and all I can say is that, he is such a great actor. 

Anyway, @jubiemon I have read your blog and appreciate your comment and dissecting over that drama though I could not necessarily agree with you but I will leave it just as it is. But truthfully, I could not agree when you mentioned that LJG has become less invested in the character of Wang So beginning from episode 9 onwards. The LJG that I read and know of is an actor who gave a 100+10% of commitment to any of his project, no matter that the project is heading to become a trainwreck. Case in example is his portrayal of Sung Yeol in SWWTN. The drama suffered so much including changes of the screenwriter yet he gave his all and ended up being the one carrying the show entirely. That is so out of character for him to not immersed himself in the role which has been entrusted to him no matter how flawed the acting level of his co-star is or how badly written his character or the script is (not that I think MLSHR is that very bad though it does have some glaring flaws). What I saw from episode 9 onwards is a changed man, no longer the brooding scarred Wang So but a man whom is ready to embrace his future which seems more promising and a man in love and ready to pursue it. Therefore, the shift of his emotion is expected and should in no way to be viewed as him giving up on his role as Wang So.

Still, you are entitled to your opinion and whatever I mentioned above is strictly based on my own observation and opinion which happened to be different than yours. 

• Like 13

@lyserose I agree with you.  I never fail to be amazed by just how many people try to impress with their opinions only to find me scratching my head wondering if they were watching the same Joon I was. how can anyone assume the actor lost interest after the 9th episode?  Why would he?  Has any of us ever seen that happen with Joon?  I haven't and why would he since ML was pre-produced without viewer feedback what would motivate him to lose interest?   He loves his work and as @lyserose said always gives 100 + on every project. @jubiemon Not only do I disagree with the short blurb you published here, I also have to disagree with another "critic" and trust me when I say I use that term loosely.

When we read something written by a "professional critic" we expect ….well a professional opinion I didn't find anything that rated as professional in the Schwartz's piece.

Most of his article sounds like he wants to complain rather than provide a substantive analysis. In the criticism of Episode 13, Schwarz touches on scripting, camera work and writing. I would like to discuss that.  His first complaint had to do with closeups and wide angel shots. Given what he said I should have found this episode lacking too but I didn't notice most of the issues he cited. I've watched each episode at least 2 times, including Episode 13. The first time invariably without subs which of course can leave you misunderstanding what's going on but certainly not blind to  strange camera antics.  In fact, without subs, that should be a major issue for any viewer left with nothing but a visual story.   I may not have understood what was being said but I never noticed a visual problem with closeups  What I do notice is that closeups generally indicate something happening or being said that has importance in the eye of the director. Saying that, when I watched the 2nd time with subs I paid attention and noticed there was intent in those closeups.  WIth his critique he didn't give many specific examples of bad close ups other than the fight scene.  Was his complaint directed at the closeups when So stopped Wook from shooting their brother with an arrow? Was it directed at the closeup when So saw the shock on Yu's face as he was stabbed?  Just what closeups didn't draw our attention to something that we learned had meaning later?  Both closeups were needed to see the lack of emotion on Wook's face further letting us know he is ruthless or the closeup that showed us the anger that Yo felt as we were lead to believe he would die? Both were impressions the director clearly wanted us to see.

Another complaint made by our critic was the jump from one scene to another without a connective story.  One such was the sudden change from a prince being detained to a prince running for his life. How did Yo get out of the palace? Here is a complaint I can agree with. How the heck did the guy get from point A to point B? Yet that was the only complaint in the entire article he had a basis for complaint and supported with a credible example.

As to the writing flaws he mentioned, once again I didn't feel as left out as he did.   He references the king and Woo Hee.. He felt both characters were unresolved because we didn't see certain elements of their relationships. Elements that to me weren't required. The king was the father of the princes. Just because we didn't see every instance of a parent child relationships doesn't mean we shouldn't feel empathy. I have friends who have lost friends or family I didn't know yet I was able to empathize with their loss. And so what if Woo Hee, was unable to kill the king. I didn't feel that left anything unresolved. I accepted Hae Soo saying Woo Hee was a friend the same way I accept that statement from anyone.  I don't have to live it to accept it.  I was more interested in the relationship developing between her and Prince Baek A. So why would I see a failed assassination as a scripting error or unresolved issue?  I saw it as a way to give the character deeper purpose and the relationships with the prince more angst.

Reading that critic and the shorter one  I am surprised anyone bothers to watch Moon Lovers. Fortunately, millions are choosing to form their own conclusions. 

I shortened this.   I was going on too long!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, minmar said:

@lyserose I agree with you.  I never fail to be amazed by just how many people try to impress with their opinions only to find me scratching my head wondering if they were watching the same Joon I was. how can anyone assume the actor lost interest after the 9th episode?  Why would he?  Has any of us ever seen that happen with Joon?  I haven't and why would he since ML was pre-produced without viewer feedback what would motivate him to lose interest?   He loves his work and as @lyserose said always gives 100 + on every project. @jubiemon Not only do I disagree with the short blurb you published here, I also have to disagree with another "critic" and trust me when I say I use that term loosely.

When we read something written by a "professional critic" we expect ….well a professional opinion I didn't find anything that rated as professional in the Schwartz's piece.

Most of his article sounds like he wants to complain rather than provide a substantive analysis. In the criticism of Episode 13, Schwarz touches on scripting, camera work and writing. I would like to discuss that.  His first complaint had to do with closeups and wide angel shots. Given what he said I should have found this episode lacking too but I didn't notice most of the issues he cited. I've watched each episode at least 2 times, including Episode 13. The first time invariably without subs which of course can leave you misunderstanding what's going on but certainly not blind to  strange camera antics.  In fact, without subs, that should be a major issue for any viewer left with nothing but a visual story.   I may not have understood what was being said but I never noticed a visual problem with closeups  What I do notice is that closeups generally indicate something happening or being said that has importance in the eye of the director. Saying that, when I watched the 2nd time with subs I paid attention and noticed there was intent in those closeups.  WIth his critique he didn't give many specific examples of bad close ups other than the fight scene.  Was his complaint directed at the closeups when So stopped Wook from shooting their brother with an arrow? Was it directed at the closeup when So saw the shock on Yu's face as he was stabbed?  Just what closeups didn't draw our attention to something that we learned had meaning later?  Both closeups were needed to see the lack of emotion on Wook's face further letting us know he is ruthless or the closeup that showed us the anger that Yo felt as we were lead to believe he would die? Both were impressions the director clearly wanted us to see.

Another complaint made by our critic was the jump from one scene to another without a connective story.  One such was the sudden change from a prince being detained to a prince running for his life. How did Yo get out of the palace? Here is a complaint I can agree with. How the heck did the guy get from point A to point B? Yet that was the only complaint in the entire article he had a basis for complaint and supported with a credible example.

As to the writing flaws he mentioned, once again I didn't feel as left out as he did.   He references the king and Woo Hee.. He felt both characters were unresolved because we didn't see certain elements of their relationships. Elements that to me weren't required. The king was the father of the princes. Just because we didn't see every instance of a parent child relationships doesn't mean we shouldn't feel empathy. I have friends who have lost friends or family I didn't know yet I was able to empathize with their loss. And so what if Woo Hee, was unable to kill the king. I didn't feel that left anything unresolved. I accepted Hae Soo saying Woo Hee was a friend the same way I accept that statement from anyone.  I don't have to live it to accept it.  I was more interested in the relationship developing between her and Prince Baek A. So why would I see a failed assassination as a scripting error or unresolved issue?  I saw it as a way to give the character deeper purpose and the relationships with the prince more angst.

Reading that critic and the shorter one  I am surprised anyone bothers to watch Moon Lovers. Fortunately, millions are choosing to form their own conclusions. 

thanks @minmar.

I had it in mind to write something to address that article writer whenever wilnette put it up.

I was beginning to wonder if he was even right to be called a professional.Just baseless complaints.

Anyways, you said it beautifully much better than I would have.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, minmar said:

I like your comment and and I agree with everything you said

I just wanted to say my point of view about this, thinking that it will be hard to make myself understood, because I am a person who likes to summarize everything. Thanks to@LyraYoo post in Moon Lovers thread I hope you will understand me better.

CuVht44UsAAfaCB.jpg

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, minmar said:

Thanks chingus @Tata Lata and @Diana Blanche  Thank you for understanding my mind explosion.  EEP!  I tend to expose my frustrations too much. I will rely on you two to tape my mouth if I rattle on too long.   Emoticon 0127 Lipssealed  

Any LJG true fan has her/his own frustrations seeing some “professional” comments/review/opinions about LJG dramas or even about him as an actor or him as person. I understand you perfectly bc in the last four years since I discovered him (as a singer not as an actor) there have been many times when I had to swallow my frustrations reading them. :(

• Like 7

17 hours ago, lisethvr said:

Scholar Who Walks The Night ep 10 BTS (Bathtub scene)

http://weibo.com/p/23044491ac148ebee247efa2382a1821c9b1b2

That's exactly what I needed before I get to sleep - 7 minutes of the hottest scene of summer 2015. :wub:

I don't know how am I supposed to fall asleep now...

Joon Gi could visit me in my dreams. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

The mood here is quite different than the drama thread. While everyone is celebrating Wang So, we are brooding about one critic's critic which i personally see that it doesnt leave a general influence to viewing public. Cheer up everyone. 

Reveal hidden contents

I am also surprised that the drama thread implied not to post articles that arent helping in the criticism department. Yes,there are no post there about that critic that is discussed here. The Eclipses are more eloquent anyway. 

Spoiler

When something is published as a review or critique, especially on something as industry specific as Hancinema,  the critic writing the piece should be prepared for rebuttal especially when the content is weak or inaccurate; which his was. I think I was both fair and accurate  in my response. William Schwarz (an American btw)  is a frequent critic of S Korean entertainment.  No friend there. I just felt someone needed to point out the weakness in his view.

As to bouncy and cheerful.....We smile and drool over Joon and Wang So all the time...as if that would stop. :w00t: 

• Like 9

On 10/8/2016 at 10:52 AM, jubiemon said:

Hi guys! 

I'm new to this thread, but I really liked Lee Junki from the movie, King and the Clown, and now I was reminded of his talent in Scarlet Heart Ryeo. My friend and I both think he is extremely talented. Unfortunately, Scarlet Heart Ryeo's plot/editing/character development of other characters don't really showcase his full potential. We both really felt that Lee Junki kind of became less invested in the Wang So character from ep 9 afterwards. He still does a good job, but there is still a difference in his passion for the drama which translated to his acting. Feel free to check out our blog post for a fuller explanation: https://thedramafilesblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/05/file-no-moon-lovers-scarlet-heart-ryeo-ep-13/

I just hope Lee Junki picks a drama/movie next time that works more in his favour next time. The man has talent and an interesting personality!

I disagree 

tumblr_inline_oe47orzI8G1r0l7zm_540.png

Even his veins is invested 

and this drama is pre produced him being more invested in the start of the drama then less invested with time passing by doesn't make sense, they don't film scenes in the correct order, a scene from ep 1 for example could have been filmed in the last day of filming 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, mewtwo said:

I disagree 

please do not quote images

and this drama is pre produced him being more invested in the start of the drama then less invested with time passing by doesn't make sense, they don't film scenes in the correct order, a scene from ep 1 for example could have been filmed in the last day of filming 

It's fine that you disagree with us. You're entitled to your opinion and we're entitled to ours. Good for you. :)

Edited by LyraYoo

2 hours ago, mewtwo said:

I disagree 

Yes. Yes. Thank you. Those veins! And can I mention the facial twitch in episode 13 when he is annoyed by Wook stepping up as the crown prince's savior? And you hit it right there, that they didn't filmed in sequence.

Finally, if there is one thing I wish to criticize, it is the hairstyle. I love LJG and his emo look and I really love the bangs but what is it with the curly bangs? I prefer the smooth straight bangs before the time jump. The recent one really not to my liking but thank goodness, LJG is so beautiful that he makes everything works and bearable. And though I know they didn't filmed in sequence, I noticed that he is looking a lot thinner than the earlier episodes. I know he loves his current look but I personally think that he is of the perfect size when he filmed the earlier episodes. 

• Like 8

Appreciation post. This is one of my favourite picture from Lee Joon Gi among the many, many pictures I like. No wonder they always call him the original flower boy. Dem jawlines! :phew: :phew: His side profile is so handsome! Boyish charms. His type is the kind who look better and better as he grow older. Aging backwards lol. :heart: :flushed: :blush:

I think he is highly in demand actor. He receives a lot of drama offers and scripts. All the 3 national stations will like to cast him because i think he is highly valuable in the overseas market. He has a solid fanbase in overseas market especially in Japan and China. I noticed that his drama always sold at high price in overseas markets, in East Asian countries like China and Japan and South East Asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia and Thailand. Arang and Magistrate was the highest paid per episode in Japan for MBC even surpassing Moon Embracing the Sun. Now, Scarlet Heart is the highest paid episode overall for Kdramas even surpassing the highly popular Descendants of the Sun. And that it is being aired in many countries, I am sure Scarlet Heart investors are recouping profits. Further, he is the only actor who have Blu-ray CDs from the 3 national broadcasts. I personally think its because he is a top actor or Hallyu star not based on just popularity/trend (they dies off) but because of his outstanding acting ability. This guy keeps improving on his acting at every new drama he undertakes. And he always gives great fanservice in these countries not like when he has promotions coming then he posts at the respecting countries SNS. So much sincerity and loves. I hope he works in movie soon and maybe even do consider acting in TVN (if the script is good). Trying plethora of things and characters to expand his self and his acting ability. :heart:

• Like 15

Hi everyone :)  I've been off the grid for a week - packing to move house - but popped in to have a catch up. I was going through LJG withdrawal - have only just watched Ep 12 and 13 :tears:

@MadraRua - loved your MV :)  Perfect music to accompany the scenes ^_^ I think you are very clever :)

@lisethvr - loved the BTS bath scene from SWWTN - hadn't seen it before - thank you for posting it :P  I love the BTS videos - shows their true personalities and usually lots of fun to watch :)

Well I feel like I'm topped up again haha - what is it about this man???  I have never felt like this about any other actor - ever - it's unreal - yes literally unreal.  Oh well back to the packing.  Thanks everyone for all your comments and videos etc. :D

• Like 9

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Oct. 3-9, 2016

dramaratings_2.jpg

The rise of Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo hasn’t been as dramatic, but compared to the numbers it used to pull in, 8.2% should be considered quite successful. Watching the numbers at the beginning of the week has been interesting to say the least, and it seems like we’re only in for more surprises in the weeks to come.

(skipped unrelated.....)

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Oct. 3-9, 2016

Ep. # Station Rating
Monday, Oct. 3      
Moonlight Drawn By Clouds 13 KBS 18.5%
Woman With a Suitcase 3 MBC 7.9%
Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo 12 SBS 7.9%
Drinking Solo 9 tvN 3.6%
Tuesday, Oct. 4      
Moonlight Drawn By Clouds 14 KBS 18.7%
Woman With a Suitcase 4 MBC 8.6%
Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo 13 SBS 8.2%
Drinking Solo 10 tvN 4.4%

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/10/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-oct-3-9-2016/

• Like 6