[Current Drama July 2024] UMI NO HAJIMARI/THE BEGINNING OF THE SEA 海のはじまり-Ren Meguro; Izutani Rana; Shinobu Otake; Furukawa Kotone;

CarolynH

6 hours ago, rocher22 said:

She was really worried about him that whole day. 

Yayoi is really the nicest. ❤️ I'm hopeful Akane also warms up to her.

Speaking of Akane and Natsu, Ms Shinobu Otake and Meme are spotted filming in Cafe Rancho, Adachi City Tokyo.

Meme's IG stories today 😆

●□●□●□●□●□●□●

Practice acting and movement for the actors and the crew before filming the scene

Happy birthday Sosuke! 🎂 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

The joy of having a jolly kid in the set 😆

Sena is clutching what looks like a Fendi dog key ring. 🐶 

Meme and Ken Murase have plenty to smile about. The Beginning of the Sea sets a new record after surpassing record-holder Silent in viewership for first episode. 🎉

• Like 3

Shooting the scene in Ep02 wherein Natsu visits the Nagumo residence to see Umi.

He brought the favourite snack of Mizuki, Hato Sable cookies.

Natsu and Mizuki were snacking during lecture 😅

• Like 2

• CarolynH changed the title to [Current Drama July 2024] UMI NO HAJIMARI/THE BEGINNING OF THE SEA 海のはじまり-Ren Meguro; Izutani Rana; Shinobu Otake; Furukawa Kotone;

I finally saw ep 1 subbed!  Wow, so many revelations !  A couple of my thoughts in the spoiler (do we need spoilers?  it doesn't bother me to use them if others plan to watch later)

Spoiler

I guess Umi is too young to understand the concept of death, but I was a little surprised that she wasn't torn up.  When she asked, at the funeral home, when she will see her mother, Tsune replied that she will before cremation.  

Mizuki was kinda cold when she broke up with Natsu, but I guess she wanted to make sure Natsu wouldn't look for her.  

I also found it surprising that Mizuki's mother is willing to give up Umi-or so it seems. I wouldn't think she would fight Natsu for Umi.

And what does Umi know about Natsu?  She knows Natsu is her father!  Wow!

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Ep 2 thoughts

Spoiler

I find it interesting how attached Umi is to Natsu after, what 2-3 meetings?  

I'm not sure what kind of vibe I'm getting from Akane.  I'm confused by her.  

You know who I like?--Yamato.  He's seems like a good stepbrother; always in a good, positive mood.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Ep 2 thoughts

Hide contents

I find it interesting how attached Umi is to Natsu after, what 2-3 meetings?  

I'm not sure what kind of vibe I'm getting from Akane.  I'm confused by her.  

You know who I like?--Yamato.  He's seems like a good stepbrother; always in a good, positive mood.

Spoiler

Probably because Mizuki have talked to Umi about Natsu a lot? Umi is also very inquisitive.

Akane might still be wondering whether it's right to let Umi be close to Natsu, who did sign that consent after all, or she still can't fully trust Mizuki's judgment since she too knows her daughter had questionable actions and decisions in the past.

And yep, Yamato is the best brother.

Two more days before Ep 03 🫠

• Blob 2

Quizzing Arimura and Meme 😁

Confirmed that Sena's holding the darker version of FENDI dog key ring. The lighter version is out of stock, even here in the sandpit. 🐶

Good job Meme for going down while talking with Sena. Sign of active listening! 👌 His guesses are (?) pig, yellow fin, and grapes.

Well-known as Kamen Rider Mach, Yu Inaba plays Asai, former boyfriend of Yayoi.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Watched ep 1 as I found the synopsis of the drama and the premise quite interesting. Man finding out he's a father.

Found the first episode to be quite good. It's interesting to see what a different dynamic Natsu had with Mizuki and now with Yayoi. He seemed genuinely happy with Mizuki and could be himself. With Yayoi he seems pensive, indecisive and not fully invested in the relationship. She kind of steamrolls him. Even in the beginning of ep 2 (which I started on but now stopped as I wanted to write some thoughts here), she asks if it's a good time. He says no. She still turns up on his doorstep.

Am not judging Mizuki's actions even though they were painted as quite selfish in ep 1. I think there is more to the story. Maybe she found out that she's terminally ill when she went to the clinic, and decided she wanted to have Umi so that she could leave Natsu something of their love even after she had passed. Maybe she thought she would spare Natsu from pain while she was sick? IDK, but it was clear that she loved Natsu as much as he loved her.

And it's clear that Natsu still loves Mizuki. He had those pics and videos of her on his phone for a reason. Found it endearing that Natsu means summer and Umi means sea, and that on those two videos she said she loves both. :wub:

With Yayoi it seems she's gonna hijack his budding relationship with his daughter. Don't trust this woman for some reason... Is it just me?

Suspicious Weighing Options GIF by Law & Order

• Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

Watched ep 2, and yeah, this Yaoyoi woman doesn't really listen to Natsu. She also doesn't seem to really understand him, and keeps interrupting him. He is slow at expressing himself. Just wait and let him finish what he's going to say instead of putting words in his mouth. She's getting on my nerves peeps. 😡

Meme GIF by The BarkPost

I will give her credit that she at least took the whole news so well. As Akane said, the current gf is the biggest victim in this mess. I just have a feeling she's gonna try to use this opportunity to heal her own trauma... 😬

If there's something that Natsu needs to learn is how to be more decisive and to express his feelings more clearly. I hope this is the journey he's going to go on, and that by becoming Umi's father, he'll learn that too. He needs to learn to not only think of others' feelings for the sake of his daughter.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Watched ep 1 as I found the synopsis of the drama and the premise quite interesting. Man finding out he's a father.

In his ex's funeral, no less. 😬

Am not judging Mizuki's actions even though they were painted as quite selfish in ep 1.

As of Ep02, it's still hard to judge since her side of family and close friend knew who Natsu is. What Mizuki did bad was breaking up that way since it really broke Natsu.

He seemed genuinely happy with Mizuki and could be himself. With Yayoi he seems pensive, indecisive and not fully invested in the relationship.

True. Compared to Mizuki, he's in a stable but more like very close friends relationship with Yayoi. It's even somewhat like an elder sister - since Yayoi is an elder girlfriend. By this time, if you're done watching 2nd ep, Yayoi has her secrets as well which she hadn't shared to Natsu (yet). The reaction she had hidden to Natsu's thoughts over Umi is very telling.

It's just me, but I rather think that kind of what happened in the past should be something that must be disclosed when she's already contemplating that they'll be married in the near future. It will be harder if later, the partner gets to know about it from another person.

Maybe she found out that she's terminally ill when she went to the clinic, and decided she wanted to have Umi so that she could leave Natsu something of their love even after she had passed. Maybe she thought she would spare Natsu from pain while she was sick? IDK, but it was clear that she loved Natsu as much as he loved her.

I believe it will be disclosed in later eps the medical history of Mizuki. In the previous excerpts before drama aired, Mizuki and Akane also had a bitter feud over it when she chose to give birth and raise Umi without informing Natsu.

And it's clear that Natsu still loves Mizuki. He had those pics and videos of her on his phone for a reason. Found it endearing that Natsu means summer and Umi means sea, and that on those two videos she said she loves both. :wub:

Natsu was never over her, and Mizuki too, or she won't ever tell Umi about her Dad.

Me watching that scene 😭

With Yayoi it seems she's gonna hijack his budding relationship with his daughter. Don't trust this woman for some reason... Is it just me?

As of now, for me, she's still nice, kinda boring sort of person, someone who's locked her emotions to be as perfect as possible outwards. I like Akane for being cautious, yet she's open to the idea of Umi's circle getting wider to include Natsu. I also like Yamato and their parents because they're very perceptive and know when it's time to talk to Natsu. 

How do you find the acting so far? 😉

This drama was produced and made possible by the previous drama 「silent」team. Watch that too when you can 😊

• Blob 2

Producer Ken Murase update: Ep 03 is complete 🥳

Apparently feelings will change depending on whose perspective viewers watch? 

"Natsu" and "umi" in one screen... 😌

Sena taking pics 🙂

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

12 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

As of Ep02, it's still hard to judge since her side of family and close friend knew who Natsu is. What Mizuki did bad was breaking up that way since it really broke Natsu.

I have a sneaking suspicion it broke Mizuki too. I am going to try to keep an open mind until we learn her reasoning.

As of now, for me, she's still nice, kinda boring sort of person, someone who's locked her emotions to be as perfect as possible outwards.

Yayoi rubbed me the wrong way from the start, because she is too domineering and doesn't really listen to him. Even in the beginning scene, she's like let's sync our calendars later tonight so that we can spend our summer vacation together. You can see Natsu squirm over it and then finally say that he might not have the chance to even take summer vacation. To be honest, I just have a feeling that he's not that much into her. I've not seen him smile once when she's around. When his step-brother appeared in his apartment in ep 2, he flashed a huge smile. So it's not like he can't smile anymore.

Also, I'm confused by the synopsis of this drama on MDL. It states:

"Tsukioka Natsu is 28 years old and single."

He's not single?

I am guessing he's going to break up with Yayoi. Actually, I hope he does. They're not a good fit and their communication is extremely lacking.

How do you find the acting so far? 😉

I really like the actress playing Akane. It shows she's a veteran actress. As for the others, it's not bad, but it's clear they're still younger and will learn to emote as they gain more experience. Still, better than most k-idol actors acting. lol

4 hours ago, CarolynH said:

You'll become a fan of Meme too! 

I've already watched As Long As We Both Shall Live, so he's no stranger to me. :)

4 hours ago, CarolynH said:

You definitely have to watch Silent; one of, if not the best, drama I watched that year.  

This drama was produced and made possible by the previous drama 「silent」team. Watch that too when you can 😊

Am giving Silent a pass for now. The synopsis doesn't seem interesting to me, and am not in the mood for healing dramas. I actually hate healing dramas the most - especially if it includes romance :D

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

33 minutes ago, partyon said:

He's not single?

He is single since he is unmarried 🙂

I really like the actress playing Akane. It shows she's a veteran actress. As for the others, it's not bad, but it's clear they're still younger and will learn to emote as they gain more experience. Still, better than most k-idol actors acting. lol

She has acting awards, and one of her latest projects is Inside Out 2, voicing "Sadness".

Ad for the others, yep, definitely better than some very much hyped Cdrama actors. 😂

Am giving Silent a pass for now. The synopsis doesn't seem interesting to me, and am not in the mood for healing dramas. I actually hate healing dramas the most - especially if it includes romance :D

Hmm, I can't exactly call it healing, cos the ML is still deaf? Rather it's resilience in his part though it took time to learn and adapt, and be comfortable with himself again to get back with FL. There's barely romance in the drama, right @CarolynH? Not a single kiss. 😅 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

He is single since he is unmarried 🙂

Single in my book means no girlfriend, boyfriend, (common-law) husband or wife. Maybe he considers her FWB?

The New Power Generation Tea GIF by Prince

Nope, I think it's either a mistranslation or then he's gonna break up with her.

She has acting awards, and one of her latest projects is Inside Out 2, voicing "Sadness".

She's a natural. Am very impressed with her acting. :glasses:

Ad for the others, yep, definitely better than some very much hyped Cdrama actors. 😂

Chingu, they're way better than most Korean idol actors and actresses. I felt I understood the actress who played Mizuki more. She was quite good at conveying her real feelings despite putting on a happy face. I think Meme is a good crier already but he needs to work on his emoting a bit. Every drama he appears in will bring him more skills in that area. :kiss_wink:

Can one of you PM me the link to where I can watch this drama btw?

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, partyon said:

Single in my book means no girlfriend, boyfriend, (common-law) husband or wife.

I think they went ahead with the technical, marital status meaning of single. 😅 Three years rel and they aren't living together either. 

I'd bet Natsu kept living in that apartment from his college days because there's this teeny-tiny hope that Mizuki would still come back to him. Well, that's how Umi was able to find him...

Chingu, they're way better than most Korean idol actors and actresses.

They are, but they (Jdrama and Cdrama alike) aren't as well known compared to their Kdrama counterparts, since the marketing of their dramas and movies aren't as intensive as those from SK. 

I felt I understood the actress who played Mizuki more. She was quite good at conveying her real feelings despite putting on a happy face.

She's also an acting awardee. 🙂 I watched her earlier this year in the live action Yu Yu Hakusho, that's a 5 ep fantasy/violence-themed drama based on the animé manga and series of the same title. I'm impressed how ditzy she was as Botan. 😅

I think Meme is a good crier already but he needs to work on his emoting a bit. Every drama he appears in will bring him more skills in that area.

He's very promising in acting. I really appreciate it that he doesn't take the same type of roles, and that he plays each distinctly, that I'm not at all remided of his previous other characters. 🙂

As a crier, as of now I'd say he cried the most in Silent, though let's see in the next episodes of Umi No Hajimari. 😉

• Blob 2

18 hours ago, partyon said:

I am guessing he's going to break up with Yayoi. Actually, I hope he does. They're not a good fit and their communication is extremely lacking.

I don't particularly like Yayoi, but I think they will end up together.  

18 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Hmm, I can't exactly call it healing, cos the ML is still deaf? Rather it's resilience in his part though it took time to learn and adapt, and be comfortable with himself again to get back with FL. There's barely romance in the drama, right @CarolynH? Not a single kiss. 😅 

No, not much romance.  If you watch on Viki, you'll see comments KISS!  KISS! KISS! lol.  

Yay!  Another episode tonight although I probably won't watch until Thurs or Fri

• Shocked 1
  • Wiggle 1