[Current Drama July 2024] UMI NO HAJIMARI/THE BEGINNING OF THE SEA 海のはじまり-Ren Meguro; Izutani Rana; Shinobu Otake; Furukawa Kotone;

CarolynH

So I FFed ep 8. Watched more of the first 10 minutes as @MayanEcho had instructed me to.

Natsu was a different man with Mizuki. I don't know if it is intentional or if Meme is just much more relaxed around the actress playing Mizuki vs. the actress playing Yayoi? There's a big difference in their interactions. I don't know how anybody could try and sell me that he really is in love with Yayoi? I still don't understand WHY he would love her.

The plot keeps going round in circles and now Natsu's dad is being introduced?

Tripping Sesame Street GIF by Muppet Wiki

Am just struggling to understand what the writer is trying to achieve here. If the characters were well developed I might be able to look past this, but the plot is thinner than a slice of cheddar cheese (my opinion)...

Sorry :crybaby:

22 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm doubtful there'll be a wedding, ahahaha! 

The way this drama is going, there will be a wedding. There has been no real conflict between the couple, and if they break up just because Yayoi doesn't want to be a mom to Umi, it's gonna be ridiculous.

If you truly love someone, you will also accept their child.

Wanna rant more about the writing but am gonna hold off doing that. It's hard though. :bawling:

200.gif?cid=09287e48v0q15czn7wpg43zcz1hn

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

30 minutes ago, partyon said:

The plot keeps going round in circles and now Natsu's dad is being introduced?

Culture wise, the Japanese are big on respecting and having a good relationship with parents. From Natsu's perspective, he'd like to know if his father cares about him too even if they were estranged for so long. Sadly, his father is a deadbeat dad. What kind of dad wanted to bring his toddler to mahjong and horse races?

The fishing hobby threw me off since it's such a contrast to someone who likes the excitement of games and probably betting.

35 minutes ago, partyon said:

I don't know if it is intentional or if Meme is just much more relaxed around the actress playing Mizuki vs. the actress playing Yayoi?

Natsu told Akane that his flaw is that he takes the cue from others and then acts accordingly. Mizuki is the free spirit, while Yayoi is too restrained, and more like she wants the matured image.

Spoiler

I sure hope it isn't because of the raging rumours that Arimura Kasumi broke up with her rumoured boyfriend Kaito Takahashi so that Meme will be her "next". 🤣 

Meme and Arimura had a previous movie wherein she's the older, married woman who had a fling with a student. The vibes in the movie is similar to them as Natsu and Yayoi, who's also the elder girlfriend. 

However, as a casual observer, Arimura really has that kind of fragile look that seems as if she doesn't know how to have fun. 😑 

He did tell his dad that he was planning to propose to Yayoi when he found out his former girl whom he was so in love with died without telling him he's a father...

53 minutes ago, partyon said:

you truly love someone, you will also accept their child.

As should be. If they can't accept the child, then they should get on with someone single and childless only. 

• Blob 1

7 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Natsu told Akane that his flaw is that he takes the cue from others and then acts accordingly. Mizuki is the free spirit, while Yayoi is too restrained, and more like she wants the matured image.

You can't fake joy though.

• Wiggle 1

14 minutes ago, partyon said:

You can't fake joy though.

True. He was really happy with Mizuki. Although in the long run, their relationship might not have been successful after some time due to their contrasting personalities.

I gotta admire Meme for having those different looks and expressions when it comes to Umi, Mizuki, and Yayoi. His eye acting had even become better than before.

• Blob 1

In light of his recent illness that forced Meme to be in medical leave, may the next days of filming be smooth and without delays that production can wrap up soon, so that he, and the others too, can have some rest before their next projects and commitments commence. 🙏🙏🙏

• Blob 1

Any chance Natsu would sing a part of the theme song to Umi, like a lullaby a capella? 😅

Come to think of it, I don't think Meme sang in any of his dramas or movies. In a commercial yes, for Kirin, which was used as BGM for the Harekaze summer ads.

• Blob 1

I didn't quite expect to enjoy UNH special ep. 🙂

It's the most adult and sane Mizuki thus far. 

Furukawa Kotone is 👌 Sosuke Ikematsu also did very well. 

I rather think this episode can be a good watch for thinking it over before deciding whether a single parent would be able to go through the process of dating again, and whether becoming a couple will not be a negative to the well-being of the child/children from previous relationship(s).

There's nothing wrong either of preferring to be single because the child was chosen over having another partner.

Spoiler

In Mizuki and Tsuno's case, however they liked each other, they've chosen not to explore further after a very realistic discussion of money matters and what they can each contribute should they become a family.

This is very respectable, very responsible, and very adult decision-making. Plus they get to continue being friends. And they keep the good work atmosphere. Their helping each other for Umi agreement until someone comes along stands.

We all have stories of how colleagues who became lovers causing stress to everyone in the workplace when they fought or broke up. 😬

Ey, it's really different when Natsu and Mizuki are together. Both have bright eyes and lively. Natsu is also symbolic for Mizuki as the time of she got to experience the sunny days and blue seas during summer with the one she loves, when blossoms turned to fruits, when she really had fun and life was a kaleidoscope of colours. 

She was somehow moving on, Tsuno was moving on, Natsu had also moved on.

Spoiler

Sorry not sorry, but some relief that there wasn't any Yayoi except for the trailer of Ep09 at the end.

This is just me, but it seems to me and could not unsee that Arimura's eyes don't match what she's supposed to be saying or feeling or the expressions she's making.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

UNH Special Ep

Dang, those rice balls remind me of my great grans and grandma who used to make that for me when they were babysitting me.

Anyway, this episode isn't Natsu-centric, and a large part is about Umi though she's barely shown, more like talked about.

Natsu would still steal the show, even if he appears for only a couple minutes in this episode. 😎

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Ep 8 was the best so far.  At first, I did not care for Natsu's dad.  I thought the discussion they had when the father was fishing was poignant.  I suspect that father is one of those people who have a hard time expressing an emotion like love.  

Yayoi seems devoid of big emotions too; maybe that's what we are noticing.  She seems to have the same expression and it makes her character very dull.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

15 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I suspect that father is one of those people who have a hard time expressing an emotion like love.  

His brash way of talking and choice of words are more likely deliberate, no?

15 hours ago, CarolynH said:

She seems to have the same expression and it makes her character very dull.

I dunno if that was how she was meant to act Yayoi's supposedly solid and reliable older girlfriend, because she's acting like Ruri in her movie "Phases of the Moon", an isolated, abused wife who had an affair with Aki (played by Meme), a younger than her, working college student.

••○○••○○••○○••

Natsu acrylic stand, sticker book, and cards collectibles 🙂

• Blob 2

Aha, so it's in Meme's alma mater Josai International University that the campus scenes of Umi No Hajimari were shot!

"The Chiba Togane campus was used as a filming location for the first episode of Fuji TV's Monday 9pm drama "The Beginning of the Sea." #Josai International University #The Beginning of the Sea"

"The Chiba Togane campus was used as a filming location for the sixth episode of the Fuji TV Monday 9pm drama "The Beginning of the Sea." 👟#Josai International University #The Beginning of the Sea"

AF1QipNnmNhLtzCG3g6A42gXpWK3I5Ck3AiY3xm_

ctto

The university campus' avenue where Mizuki was running ahead of Natsu, then stops to tie her shoe laces.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I watched the special episode.  I felt rather depressed watching it.  I felt bad for both MIzuki and Tsuno.  Both wanted to be together, but couldn't because of Mizuki's past.  I felt particularly bad for Mizuki; had she lived, I think she could have pursued a relationship once Umi was older.  She definitely looked happy when she was a college student with Natsu.  I think Tsuno would have given up a lot too had he pursued a relationship with Mizuki.  Would he be happy being, essentially, a third wheel?  Maybe he would, but shouldn't have to settle...but it is his life.  Sigh...hopefully something uplifting next week.  But wait--boo yayoi is back.  I find her so plain vanilla.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I think Tsuno would have given up a lot too had he pursued a relationship with Mizuki.  Would he be happy being, essentially, a third wheel? 

No matter how much someone is selflessly accepting of being the 3rd wheel (Tsuno is a 4th wheel...! 🫣), there will come a time he or she too would want to be the equal partner.

Appreciating a lot their expressiveness. The special episode is sad all over, but I honestly had a good time just watching their acting.

3 hours ago, CarolynH said:

But wait--boo yayoi is back.  I find her so plain vanilla.

Next ep will show their courtship, but the ever perceptive Natsu will also be asking Yayoi in Ep09 if she wanted to break-up. 😏

After being so pushy wanting to be Umi's mother, she's having cold feet! 🙄

I'm still deciding if it's the character portrayed to be boring to make her look reliable, or it's the actress. Since the focus will be on Yayoi and Natsu, if Yayoi's eyes still barely changes in Ep09 whatever emotions she's supposed to be feeling and acting out, then it's the actress who might not have been right for the role.

Meme hard at work, Ep08 BTS. 

• Blob 1

Read with a pinch of salt 

Spoiler

If what were posted and talked about online on what was going on in the set were really happening, then hopefully by all means the production finishes what must be shot and wrap it up.

If a veteran actress started complaining why it takes so much time to film the scenes, then the production team has to answer why is that so.

Moreover, they've to be clear on what exactly they wanted and expected in the script and discuss it well before the shooting of the scenes. 

Lastly, FujiTV and UNH prod team, why are your staff qouted again and again as the sources for what makes it online, even someone's private health matters?

Also, I can not with the rumours that the staff would be throwing to the ground the script when he is not doing well anymore in his takes by evening time, especially when he's been filming full day, and they'd still be filming some more lasting until midnight!

https://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20240830_1987006.html/2

• Blob 1