[Current Drama July 2024] UMI NO HAJIMARI/THE BEGINNING OF THE SEA 海のはじまり-Ren Meguro; Izutani Rana; Shinobu Otake; Furukawa Kotone;

CarolynH

"I'm not Lana-chan!" 😆 😆 😆

Maybe there'd still be more of this little sister appearing in next few eps!

Producer Ken Murase 📣: The shooting for the final episode is over. Aww... 🥺

• LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Producer Ken Murase 📣: Ep08 is completed! 

What are Natsu's thoughts, that he has not voiced out feelings until now...? The subtitle is "Reuniting with my own father...even though I'm sad too".

It's time to see Natsu. 

BTS of the Ep07 necklace scene

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Meeting Motoharu, the estranged father of Natsu

Spoiler

Natsu resembles Mama Yukiko more than his father.

What would happen in this episode... 🫤 

🍀🍀🍀

Besties at first sight 🙂

• Love 1
  • Blob 1

Trended again worldwide. Congratulations!

So different these two versus how they were in the drama, LOL.

When the ever calm and proper Natsu was angered so much to kick a chair in the cafe where they were talking... Father of Natsu, you're really something.

Spoiler

He was awful to Natsu and Umi, and Natsu isn't having it.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Episode 8 is the episode of Meme's eye acting in full force.

And if as Natsu he also flipped the table after he kicked the chair, or dragged then threw someone at the river... as an onlooker I'd be cheering him on. His father was that awful.

••○•○•●•○•○••

Off-shot and a scene back when Natsu and Mizuki were students.

I like their carefree vibe. Mizuki and Natsu weren't in the same wavelengths, but there's no denying they were really happy during the good times when they were still together.

Natsu full of joie de vivre, from another time.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Updates on Meguro Ren's health condition, revised schedule of upcoming regular episodes plus special broadcast, and the finalé airing date.

<Announcement>

Due to Meguro Ren's recuperation, we have decided to postpone the 9th episode of "The Beginning of the Sea" scheduled for Monday, August 26th for one week.

We are relieved to hear that he is recovering well.

Next week, on Monday, August 26th, "The Beginning of the Sea Special Episode: The End of Love" will air instead of the 9th episode.

Set in the summer three years before the main story, it is a completely new love story focusing on Nagumo Mizuki (played by Kotone Furukawa) and Haruaki Tsuno (played by Sosuke Ikematsu). Meguro Ren will also appear in the special episode.

Episode 9 is scheduled to air on Monday, September 2nd.

And we are happy to report that this work will be depicted in a total of 12 episodes (*excluding the special episode). We hope you will continue to watch until the final episode airs on Monday, September 23rd.

【W/ the aid of DeepL translate】

@CarolynH @WeunXK @newrocher22

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Blob 1

After watching Ep08 once more, I still feel the same.

Meme's eye acting is off the charts mesmerising.

His father is still awful. Awful enough that if Natsu decided to kick him instead of the chair, I won't at all blame him.

Though he did say some home truths, tactlessly, anyone could also see why Yukiko would divorce him. He saw his son as a thing, not even concerned his baby wasn't gaining weight when he should be growing rapidly.

@partyon this part of Natsu barely gaining height and weight reminded me of "Flowers in the Attic" when Carrie and Cory grew only 2 inches the 4 years they were in the attic. 

At least his father offered Natsu thst he could call to vent on him like he did. 🙄

Natsu will be officially Umi's father! 🙌 

Spoiler

Ooo... Yayoi might be having cold feet. After receiving that letter from Mizuki.

And whoa, she's unloading with Tsuno, of all people. I kinda expected her to ask at least her close colleague at work, or even talk it out with Yamato, and Natsu as well, but she approaches Tsuno instead.

After all this talk of becoming Umi's mother, now that she gets a premortem letter from Mizuki addressed to Natsu's lover/Umi's future mother....

@CarolynH I'm kinda not so sure if it's a good idea to have that special episode of Tsuno and Mizuki  though I get that they filmed it out of necessity while Meme is on medical leave and couldn't shoot the filler scenes he's required to act to complete the last 4 episodes. At least the filming of the main parts of the story is over before he got sick.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/21/2024 at 3:54 PM, MayanEcho said:

Due to Meguro Ren's recuperation, we have decided to postpone the 9th episode of "The Beginning of the Sea" scheduled for Monday, August 26th for one week.

What's wrong with him?

Wait a second..... Are they LIVE FILMING this drama? :scream:

On Fire GIF

Heol!

On 8/21/2024 at 3:54 PM, MayanEcho said:

And we are happy to report that this work will be depicted in a total of 12 episodes (*excluding the special episode). We hope you will continue to watch until the final episode airs on Monday, September 23rd.

Wait a second.... There will be 12 episodes in total? Are they EXTENDING THIS DRAMA? :scream:

Sesame Street Elmo GIF

This drama's plot could have been concluded in 5 episodes. Just sayin'

7 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

After all this talk of becoming Umi's mother, now that she gets a premortem letter from Mizuki addressed to Natsu's lover/Umi's future mother....

Couldn't find a gif of Elmo barfing so I'll go with this

frustrated the muppets GIF

• LOL 2
  • Blob 1

The Beginning of the Sea Special Episode: The End of Love trailer

I'm still on a fence for this episode and why, but I do think it's very considerate of the UNH team to put this up while Meme is convalescing. 

After watching this trailer, I think it would give more insights on how Mizuki thinks, and how she lived the past 7 years as she wanted to. I'm also glad that she did try too to move on, and not just mooned over Natsu time and time again, and borderly stalking him with Umi in tow.

I still think of her mindless and selfish to deny and rob Natsu the first 7 years of Umi. He was such a sweet and caring boyfriend whose eyes genuinely lit up when he looks at her. How can he be faulted of his sense of responsibility, that he would drop everything else for the people he loves if he must, as her reason to nastily cut him off?

So what if it's because she decided to choose Umi over Natsu? He still didn't deserve the deception and hurt. I couldn't even chalk it up to crazy pregnancy hormones, because after giving birth, she still did not let him know. Sure, she changed her mind, then changed it back again when she saw Natsu with Yayoi. I'd have thought though that once her imminent death is confirmed, with all the bluster and guts she used to display, she had none of that to tell Natsu.

It was cruel of her, to make her grieving parents tie up her loose strings and clean up after her colossal mess.

Natsu was practically glowing and his eyes were full of joy whenever he was with Mizuki. She should have remembered, and been brave enough for Umi.

@partyon it was not particularly mentioned until now how many episodes exactly. 😅 Main story is already done filming in a recent update of Producer Murase, so I'm assuming it's the filler scenes they're shooting, or whatever needs to be added or changed as they edit the upcoming episodes.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

12 minutes ago, partyon said:

Can I just remind everyone that last time a drama got extended, the writer killed off my oppa

No worries, this wasn't an extension, but that they filmed something to put in between Ep08 and Ep09 to let the ML rest and get well without worrying that he's holding up the cast. 

Pretty sure they too know that disaster of drama, and won't experiment if it will work in Japan. 😅 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MayanEcho said:

No worries, this wasn't an extension, but that they filmed something to put in between Ep08 and Ep09 to let the ML rest and get well without worrying that he's holding up the cast. 

You can't convince me chingu. Things never go well when they extend a drama....

zombie-detective-choi-jin-hyuk.gif

Brace yourselves!

Freezing Sesame Street GIF by Willem Dafriend

• LOL 2

23 minutes ago, partyon said:

You can't convince me chingu. Things never go well when they extend a drama....

We'll know on the finalé 😆

I'm doubtful there'll be a wedding, ahahaha! 

Somehow, it seems that the most expected onscreen wedding for Meme would be in "My Happy Marriage" should they film the second half of the story. 😅 I simply couldn't feel it happening in this drama. 

I'd certainly want to find out if he'll remain a single (unmarried) parent who'd be raising Umi solo with the extended families giving him a hand when required, or if Natsu and Yayoi would later be married to have a blended family.

Somehow, the first scenario is more realistic for me, given that this is a story of a single father. Curious which direction will the script go for the remaining 4 episodes. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I'm not surprised Meme is sick.  I think he's spreading himself a little thin with the drama, movie, Snowmen and CFs.  

Instead of an episode, they could have done a variety type show with the cast members.  

I'll watch ep 8 tomorrow

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

14 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I'm not surprised Meme is sick.  I think he's spreading himself a little thin with the drama, movie, Snowmen and CFs.  

He's already booked till December! Snow Man will have their concert tour from 2nd week Nov till 25th Dec, so October should be mainly rehearsals. They might even have a NY live show again like they did to ring in 2024.

14 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Instead of an episode, they could have done a variety type show with the cast members.  

That would have been good too, except that it's the ML who won't be there.

Producer Murase posts that they're editing the special ep, which would start from when Mizuki broke up with Natsu. 

If it's from period, then I'm guessing it would include rowing with Akane because Mizuki flatly refused to inform Natsu. Pretty sure Akane would have hit the roof too if she actually found out how her daughter broke up with the baby's father and the "alibi" she told him. 

BTS Ep08 opening scenes