[Current Drama July 2024] UMI NO HAJIMARI/THE BEGINNING OF THE SEA 海のはじまり-Ren Meguro; Izutani Rana; Shinobu Otake; Furukawa Kotone;

CarolynH

Waiting for the UNH's dance version of "Brother Beat" 🤭

The MV of the Osumatsu live action movie theme is very colourful. No wonder Sena likes it 😊

•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•

3 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I don't like Yayoi either.  Something about her character rubs me the wrong way.   More Yamoto, less Yayoi!

There's really something, no? She's fine, and then there's something not quite right with her.

Spoiler

I don't know if I'm being judgmental but somehow, playing cute doesn't quite suit Arimura Kasumi. 😑 Not because she's older than the ML, but even Furukawa Kotone who is also older than Meme plays just fine her role as Mizuki (and makes her so charming even with her character flaws). 

However, I do want to see Arimura Kasumi in mind game roles. I think she'd be perfect as a psychopath, or something similar to "The Orphan".

Yes, more Yamato the fun Uncle! 

Spoiler

I'm glad Yayoi and Mizuki didn't actually meet.

• Blob 2

It's wrong of Tsuno to quantify his grief against Natsu's. True, he and Mizuki were friends and colleagues for much longer than Mizuki and Natsu were together, but how will working in the same place for years be comparable to this? This is what Natsu lost. 

More BTS at the library

• Blob 3

Ep07 trended #1 worldwide. 🤗

I finished watching, and this episode requires some tissue nearby. Ep07 stings in so many ways, and it isn't only because of the funeral, but of the 

Spoiler

Lost chance of Mizuki to introduce Umi to Natsu when she was still alive.

Back to Ep01, Umi said she went to Natsu's apartment before. In Ep07, they really went there, 3 years ago, but from outside, they saw Yayoi and Natsu leaving his flat.

Mizuki must have already mustered all the courage to face Natsu and tell him about Umi, but to see that happy scene of Yayoi and Natsu must have been like a punch, especially when it's obvious too that she still loves him. Neither can Natsu be blamed too for moving on because it was at least 4 years since Mizuki broke up with him.

While watching this part, I thought that the Universe dumped it all at once to Mizuki:

1. Don't burn bridges like it's nobody's business and consequences be damned.

2. What you wanted and thought of as right because you thought it's the right thing however you wanted it done, isn't right at all time and won't be what you'll always want either.

3. The person you've hurt knowingly can also someday hurt you back...and effortlessly at that. 

4. Even the best laid plans have hiccups along the way. The question is, are you also prepared for that?

5. The Universe has all the time to play the long game against you. Words you utter have power. What you recklessly taunted of to someone, what are the odds it'll mock you back when you least expected it?

Sigh 😞 

The Tsuno-Yayoi "square off" was unexpectedly "delicious".

This dialogue betwen Natsu and Umi 😭

Spoiler

Yamato, you're a very good brother to Natsu, helping him navigate as the surviving parent to his grieving child.

Umi might have been cheerful because Mizuki's ashes were still there, until the burial day arrived. Thankfully, Natsu talked to Yamato, and thus the necklace with Mizuki's ashes can be given to Umi.

Trailer for Ep08

Oh hello, estranged father of Natsu.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

It's so maddening that it wasn't Natsu.

And whether meeting again a estranged parent from age 3 would turn out good or bad, when you aren't even using his name anymore?

Testsushi Tanaka plays Motoharu Mizoe, the estranged biological father of Natsu.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

Now this is what I like with Meme. He plays his roles so distinctly, I'm not at all reminded of the other characters he played while watching his movies/dramas.

There's no way this guy here is Natsu 😅

GU0vCozXkAAa07B?format=jpg&name=large

Cr: @trillion_tbs

Producer Ken Murase also thinks so 🤭

Spoiler

😆 😆 😆

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

On 8/12/2024 at 9:40 AM, MayanEcho said:

I finished watching, and this episode requires some tissue nearby.

Oh no!  I haven't cried as much as I anticipated.  There were some sad moments, but not tissue worthy.  

We don't have a thread for trillion games, do we?  If not, I can start it.  My K-guy is suddenly active, so maybe this week I can create it,-- when he returns to hibernation :joy:

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, CarolynH said:

We don't have a thread for trillion games, do we?  If not, I can start it. 

Yep, yep, yep, cos finally there's a bit more to post for the movie at last. 😆 Compared to the drama version where there were plenty of posts in the TG soc meds. 😁

○●○●○●○●○

Sigh, it's kinda difficult to get over UNH ep07.

Spoiler

It's more of Tsuno when he first met Mizuki and Umi from being a toddler, then the preschooler he collects to bring to the library, then to the time Mizuki was ill and receiving the news of her demise, and lastly, visiting the burial site. And the verbal square off with Yayoi. 😅 

Tsuno has lots of grudge over Natsu, but he's just as mad with Yayoi and he tells her why he feels that way with her.

For me, this ep made me a little mad of Mizuki, over how she handled matters long ago and how it's biting her back 10x worse and several times over, including Umi.

Granted she was young and impulsive that time, but just the same as I posted in a previous spoiler about burning bridges, that words have power, and the Universe can play the long game.

Then there's Umi, hugging Mizuki's urn of ashes, which would be interred soon. I'm so glad Natsu is there for her, as she confirms with him that Mizuki doesn’t hurt anymore. 😞

There are some posts saying to watch out (more like be warned? LOL) when Meme endorses an ep of UNH in his IG before it's aired. 🙁

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

37.5 million cumulative views for eps 01-06! 🥳

Natsu was robbed of this chance and many other father-daughter moments.

Spoiler

I'm so irritated of Tsuno keeling grudges even when Mizuki explained the circumstances to him why Natsu isn't by her side. Because of that consent to terminate Tsuno happened to see. 

Yes, Natsu signed that paper, but Tsuno for the 8 years he is her colleague and trusted friend, should have known too that Mizuki is so headstrong and stubborn when she decided on something..! She rarely changes her mind! She's literally scorch earth even if there's no reason for her to do so! 

She even said so!

How about Tsuno asks Natsu his side about that day he signed that consent! Not just keep on his sarcasm when he interacts with Natsu. He's hurting, that's understandable, but he is also being unreasonable.

What Mizuki taunted Natsu when she broke up with him over the phone, she'd actually see it with her own eyes. The irony.

• Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

14 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Oh no!  I haven't cried as much as I anticipated.  There were some sad moments, but not tissue worthy.  

Is ep 7 out yet? I found ep 6 really boring but reading your comments about ep 7 I might give it a try.

I seriously FFed through ep 6 in about 15 mins.

Awkward The Office GIF

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Me when I read a post in X that Natsu and Yayoi were purposely acting happily when they opened the door to leave his flat, while Mizuki and Umi were at the corner, looking up from downstairs, then poster BLAMES Natsu:

:evillaugh:

• Shocked 1
  • Blob 2

Producer Ken Murase 📣 Currently edited Ep08 will be focusing on Natsu. 👏👏👏

Yaaassss! It should be mostly about him now, the past Natsu, and the man he became to at present!

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Yaaassss! It should be mostly about him now, the past Natsu, and the man he became to at present!

Ya, am holding on for dear life.

Dont Give Up Hang In There GIF by Holly Logan

I barely got through ep 7 and had to FF a lot. I keep having serious issues with the inconsistent writing.

At this point in time, I don't find one single person in this drama to be sympathetic nor do I want to root for them. Not even Umi who is being portrayed as too mature for her age.

Spoiler

Mizuki? Too selfish making decisions based on her own fears and her own needs

Tsuno? She didn't love you - get over it

Natsu? Still very much a bland and boring character

Yayoi? Too desperate wanting to be a mother

Am just gonna drop this drama now, as I've lost interest in the writing that keeps going round in circles and lacks character development.

Sorry Home Alone GIF by filmeditor

Confused Bugs Bunny GIF by Looney Tunes

@MayanEcho Will be interested in reading your recaps still. Thanks for posting them :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

33 minutes ago, partyon said:

Am just gonna drop this drama now, as I've lost interest in the writing that keeps going round in circles and lacks character development.

I'm watching for now only because of the characters I like. 😅

I don't see the point of that much focus with Tsuno and his sour face, unless it's really important till the end of the drama. And I'm also not that happy with Yayoi, cos she's still merely the girlfriend. They aren't engaged, so I don't see the logic of her being that motherly to her boyfriend's child, when she and Natsu have not even talked of marriage.

The actor and actress are acting well, I just can't be fully immersed that they're important characters to have that much exposure. 

I'd prefer seeing the struggles of single Dad Natsu trying to make Umi have her meals, sleep on time, fighting with her cos she refuses to bath, or that she refuses to change her clothes. 😏 I want to see them arguing why her hair ribbon should match her socks. Or why chickpeas aren't good to eat cos chickpeas are chick's p*i*s*s. 😆

Kinda curious how will the last 3(?) eps go, whether the script will wrap up neatly, or there'll be a revolt later, LOL!

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Kinda curious how will the last 3(?) eps go, whether the script will wrap up neatly, or there'll be a revolt later, LOL!

Last 3 episodes?  I thought next week is the last episodeSeason 6 Nbc GIF by The Office

I was just thinking, man, there's a lot to resolve if there's only 1 episode left.  Plus what a time to introduce a new character!:joy:

Spoiler

Ep 7--I have mixed thoughts when it comes to Tsune.  He really was there for Mizuki when she needed help.  I think it's natural that he's jealous of Natsu, knowing the latter is Mizuki's 1st, true and forever love.  I still find Akane rather cold. both with her interaction with Mizuki and how she was rude to Tsune when he came to help with Mizuki's apt after she passed.  Is Natsu's mom's telling Yayoi that she has no one in her corner foreshadowing her relationship with Natsu?  I think we all saw her expression when Natsu said that he is jealous that Tsune knew Mizuki so well.  While I still don't care for Yayoi, I do feel for her.  If she continues her relationship with Natsu, Mizuki will always be around.  Will she be able to handle it?  

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Last 3 episodes?  I thought next week is the last episode

It will run until last week Monday of Aug, or until first or even second Monday of Sep 🙂

2 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I was just thinking, man, there's a lot to resolve if there's only 1 episode left.  Plus what a time to introduce a new character!:joy:

The synopsis for Ep08 in the UNH site says 

Spoiler

Natsu will bring Umi with him to meet him in a café. 😳

His parents' divorce when Natsu was still a toddler still isn't clear, what was the reason behind. It can't be due to domestic violence for sure, otherwise Yukiko won't give the estranged ex's number to Natsu? I'm thinking it's either he's that father and husband who couldn't be bothered to do his obligations for the family, or that he's a cheater, hence custody of their child was awarded to Natsu's mother. He did also say in the trailer that Natsu has a far stronger sense of responsibility...

About Akane's rudeness to Tsuno,

Spoiler

I think she wanted to do whatever she can still do for her child. Packing for Mizuki is a very intimate moment for Akane, because judging on what she told Tsuno, she wants to "savour" the task ahead and be alone with her thoughts of her daughter.

I found Tsuno intrusive when he came in, and rude when he told Akane he'll help her since he knows Mizuki and Umi's things.

IMO, Akane might have agreed if he asked her first whether she needs assistance sorting their belongings. He was not expected to come over, nor invited by Akane or Shohei though.

What Yayoi was told by Yukiko

Spoiler

I feel she's giving her that choice to decide whether she can go ahead with the relationship, or not since being a stepmother has complications Yayoi might not be ready to handle later on, even if Umi is friendly with her. She was a stepmother too, so she'd know.

Yukiko also knows her son very well, in that even if he said very little, he never really stopped loving Mizuki. She too understands the difficulty over Mizuki since she too couldn't truly compete with Yamato's dead mother's memories, but was able to have a close relationship with her 2nd husband and his son because Natsu was there to back her and made things easy for her (spin off Ani To No Hajimari Ep01).

For Yukiko, Yamato's mother had passed away for at least 2 years. There's a considerable gap from grieving the demised to when she became a part of the household. 

In contrast, Natsu is not only mourning, he's determined to find out more what he missed the past 7 years. Even if Yayoi is already his girlfriend, Natsu might take longer than 2 years to finally move on from Mizuki. 😕

Yukiko letting Yayoi know she can get an out is the right thing.

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 1