[Movie 2006] Solace 사랑할 때 이야기하는 (Han Suk Kyu & Kim Ji Soo)

rubie

"Fever" ????? :blink::blink::blink: Wonder why they use that title. l think "solace" sound so much more romantic.

Exactly! I was like... the pic's Solace alright but 'Fever'? :huh: Uh-oh... makes you think of 'Saturday Night Fever'. :wacko: Yeah... I love the title 'Solace' better... it's one of the reasons, I'm attracted to the movie as well. A lame excuse maybe but it's the little things that counts. :blush: But the Korean title in Hangul sure is a long one... wonder what it really means, should be more than just 'Solace'... right?

Unfortunately... the movie only managed to stay in the Top Ten for about a week (refer Box Office Dec 1-3). In the recent weekend/weekly Box Office Dec 8-10 report, Solace is no longer listed although the movie is definitely still screening, just not sure the duration... till around Christmas time? Once in a Summer is still in... although barely at #9. Can only hope that it'll be able to stay in for a week more. :sweatingbullets:

Both movies are melodramas at their best, awesome acting performances with connection to the real situation... perhaps too real? Given the present varied choices at the movies, their storyline might not be too appealing for the majority at this particular time or season? :unsure:

--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--

Now Showing

Solace (Saranghal ttae iyagihanun kot tul)

ensor200612072249276nowve7.jpg

A guy burdened by having to take care of family _ he has a mentally retarded older brother _ meets a woman who has to pay back her father’s debt. 15 and over. 114 minutes.

Starsix Chongdong (2004-8000) near exit 2 of City Hall Station on subway lines 1 and 2 and exit 1 of Kwanghwamun Station on subway line 5

Artreon (l588-2209) near exit 4 of Shinchon Station on subway line 2

Picadilly (02-3676-7942) near exit 2-1 of Chongno 3-ga Station on subway lines 1, 3 and 5

Seoul Cinema (02-2277-3011) near exit 14 of Chongno 3-ga Station on subway lines 1, 3 and 5

Dansungsa (1588-1907) near exit 9 of Chongno 3-ga Station on subway line 1

Source: http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...22264610970.htm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The world it portrays is far from beautiful: Life is tough, all the characters are trapped, relationships are hard to forge and even harder to maintain.

In-gu (Han Seok-gyu) is a likable pharmacist. He smiles a lot, is friendly, and pleasant to talk with. His drugstore is small but he seems comfortable in the cramped space, playing an online poker game in his leisure time and ordering Chinese food for a quick lunch.

But his life is anything but happy-go-lucky. Older brother, In-seop (Lee Han-wi), is mentally disabled, and In-gu bears the burden of taking care of his brother, often involving a wild-goose chase around town because he tends to disappear. His older brother's presence poses a bigger stumbling block to In-gu's life. Not long ago, In-gu lost a chance to marry a woman he loved because her family did not like his mentally disabled brother. In-gu did not want to lose her, but he could not cut off relationships with his poor brother, either.

Deep inside though, all he really wants is a burden-free life. He admits it is morally wrong, but he cannot resist thinking about other, better possibilities, especially when his older brother makes his life complicated and he misses one romantic moment after another.

The Korea Herald

Movie stills from CINE21 -

M0020066_miyull_still12.jpg

M0020002_still15.jpg

M0020038_still07.jpg

M0020034_still03.jpg

Hye-ran (Kim Ji-soo) is equally stuck with her deplorable life conditions. She is barely making a living as a copycat designer. She sells fake brand clothes in Seoul's Dongdaemun shopping mall at the risk of humiliating detentions at a police station. She sees no hope. Her father has left a huge debt on his death, and she thinks she probably cannot repay the obligation in her lifetime.

Despite constant obstacles, In-gu and Hye-ran struggle to meet with each other and deepen their relationship at a slow pace. They finally pull off a truly romantic moment, only to be hurriedly brought back to the frustrating reality.

M0020036_still05.jpg

M0020024_miyull_still07.jpg

M0020003_miyull_still01.jpg

M0020023_miyull_still06.jpg

Source: CINE21

i really like kim ji soo... i hope this movie would stay on top 10 longer.. i hope i can watch this soon too ! :)

Hi ovette, I like KJS as well... such a beautiful actress, coming a long way... making waves in the movie world. :)

Hope we'd be able to watch 'Solace' sometime soon. Despite the box-office & everything else, I think it's a great heartwarming movie with it's own unique message in the storyline.

M0020021_miyull_still05.jpg

M0020020_miyull_still04.jpg

l am a KJS convert after seeing Romance and l start looking out for her earlier works. l have since see several of her dramas and This Charming Girl. l am impress by her acting and while reading this thread l discover to my surprise that l have actually impress by the characcter play by her in the drama "Bad Guys" several years ago. l remember liking the charcter she plays and even though she dress up in a rather "tom boyish" manner, l thought she is really charming. Her character there is in love with Ahn Jae Wok but he is in love with the character plays by Song Yun Ah. l remember rooting for KJS's character.

KJS is a natural beauty and after seeing her earlier works, l think her looks get better as she mature. She is charming and her looks simply grows on you....the more you see the more you like even though her beauty is different from the likes of KHS, SHG or CJW (actresses that are consider beautiful by fans)...if l am a guy, l will choose her over the other 3. :)

l love "Romance", l know it is a simple and rather "tired formula" but l thought the chemistry between KJS and Jo Jae Hyun is good. Both of the are excellent and they are able to bring across the pain and suffering that they are feelings. JJH is an actor l admire and l see Romance because of him and in the end find myself liking KSJ so much. l am so glad l see this movie....so sorry Rubie, this is a bit out of the topic. :huh:

^Aish... I have yet to watch Romance :blush: ... still can't find it. :( jojo, no problem with the off topic... it's still about KJS. At least I'm not talking to myself here. :D I just love reading comments and opinions as long as they're encouraging & positively thought-provoking. KJS is lucky as she gets to work with credible and awesome actors in the industry. Some of the movies may not receive B.O. high marks (The Romance, Traces of Love, Solace) but her acting performance is what people will notice (& enjoy) and that's what should matter the most. In This Charming Girl, her talent is finally recognized in the most special way with the Blue Dragon Best New Actress award.

I wasn't really taken by her in the old drama 'Love & Ambition' with Park Jung Chul but recently, she caught my attention in the most unusual way. Glowing in her simple aura of beauty, she proves to be an actress to watch out for. Her patience and perseverance has finally paid off. Way to go!

I wasn't really taken by her in the old drama 'Love & Ambition' with Park Jung Chul but recently, she caught my attention in the most unusual way. Glowing in her simple aura of beauty, she proves to be an actress to watch out for. Her patience and perseverance has finally paid off. Way to go!

Hi Rubie, l am curious about "Love and Ambition", who are the actors for this drama ? l thought it is a relatively new and long (about 80 episodes) drama but seeing what you have just written it seems like an old drama. You know l have seen several of her dramas but looking at the lists of dramas that she has acted in at the beginning of this thread, l can only recognise 2 dramas, all the titles sound so alien to me.....hahaha....if l see "Fever" l will be wondering too :lol: Anyway, l did see an old drama of hers with Park Jung Chul .......she looks like a real "ajuma" there, that hairstyle really do not suits her well......l won't be taken by her too in that drama.

Hi Rubie, l am curious about "Love and Ambition", who are the actors for this drama ? l thought it is a relatively new and long (about 80 episodes) drama but seeing what you have just written it seems like an old drama. You know l have seen several of her dramas but looking at the lists of dramas that she has acted in at the beginning of this thread, l can only recognise 2 dramas, all the titles sound so alien to me.....hahaha....if l see "Fever" l will be wondering too :lol: Anyway, l did see an old drama of hers with Park Jung Chul .......she looks like a real "ajuma" there, that hairstyle really do not suits her well......l won't be taken by her too in that drama.

Honestly, 'Love & Ambition' was the very first Korean series I watched on tv (although I've always mentioned BD as my first because of a very sentimental reason :blush: ). Anyway, it was a bit peculiar back then because I've never heard the Korean language being spoken before as we were more into Jdoramas. But I remember watching the series, a rather heartbreaking story nonetheless. Seriously, there's not much info on 'Love & Ambition'... in fact, searching for it online will always lead to another series or most often than not, to the pop group 'Shinhwa'... the drama's title in Korean was supposed to be called that, too. :ph34r:

From what I've gathered, I think I've some info stashed somewhere... 'Love & Ambition' is a drama special from SBS, produced in 2001 (24 episodes) starring Kim Ji Soo, Park Jung Chul, Kim Tae Woo, Choi Kang Hee, Lee Yu Jin and Go Doo Shim among many others. PJC played a poor boy turned rich and evil due to situation of the time, he loves KJS whose rich father was framed and prisoned for treachery to the goverment. PJC in a twist of fate, to keep a promise to his mother to be well-educated and rich became a yes-man to a ruthless businesswoman played by Go Do Shim, also Choi Kang Hee's mother.

It was a serious storyline with the backdrop of Korean computer/electronic industry amidst the fallout of world financial businesses. A lot of heartaches and tears fell along the way. KJS doesn't look appealing although there was a certain chemistry between her and PJC. She's always looking lost (& expressionless) in the beginning but eventually she became a powerful businesswoman as well, in part of revenge towards PCJ who had dumped her when she needed him the most.

Although the series isn't my most fave, I guess because it's the first... you'd always remember it somehow. ^_^

jojo... I think we saw the same drama, was it not? :D

Hi Rubie,

Yes, it is the same drama we are talking about except l only know the title as "ShinHwa"......it is a rather sad drama and l honestly think her dressing and hairstyle there are all wrong. l guess the title "Love and Ambition" makes more sense than "ShinHwa"......strange though l think there is a rather recent drama that is call Love and Ambition too. Anyway, out of curiousity, l have download an episode to check if KJS is in it. Will let you know. This is the long (80 episodes) of Love and Ambition that l hear of.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like HJM as well... who knows, they might collaborate in a movie... in the future... soon ^^

Yup, l think that is a nice thought....thanks Rubie for the information. * ^ ^ *

Oops... I'm such a blur :sweatingbullets: Kim Ji Soo & Hwang Jung Min acted together in the movie, This Charming Girl (2004). For some reason, I'm always forgetting that HJM was in the movie, too... that charming man... :blush:

Who knows there'll be another collaboration between them, in a melodrama or a romantic comedy? :D

Anyway, I've started a thread for the actor :)

Hwang Jung Min 황정민

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103723

xmas1.jpg

True appreciation comes in different ways. A good word on the movie from Darcy Paquet of koreanfilm.org :)

Copied from koreanfilm.org forum - Sun Dec.24.06

I realize that these days my promises are not worth the pixels that make them up, but yes -- a best of 2006 list is scheduled to come maybe in a week or so.

I'd actually like to make a separate page that collects all the top ten lists of the past few years. I never did finish 2004 -- it was about half-written, but I didn't make it through -- so maybe I can rectify that with a new page.

At the moment I'm still trying to catch up on some recent films that I haven't seen yet. Last week I managed to watch SOLACE, ONCE IN A SUMMER and THE WORLD OF SILENCE, and I ended up liking all three of them, despite their box office failure and weak critical reception. (Actually critics were nice to SOLACE, but not the other two)

SOLACE is very down-to-earth and a little downbeat, in the tradition of CHRISTMAS IN AUGUST but without the warm glow. The acting was very good, and the story was involving. At this point it doesn't offer very much new -- other Korean movies like LOST IN LOVE have this same sort of realistic feel. Otherwise, I think people would be really excited about it, because it's better than LOST IN LOVE and other Korean films in this "genre".

ONCE IN A SUMMER is most notable for the fantastic way it showcases Lee Byung-heon and Soo Ae. They are really charismatic and gorgeous in this film. I think critics with fond memories of CONDUCT ZERO had high expectations for the director, so they were a little harsh on him once they realized that it's a fairly conventional film. Still, it's a well-made conventional film.

THE WORLD OF SILENCE is also conventional: a thriller/mystery about a serial killer targeting young girls. Korean critics really don't like conventional genre films, and predictably they trashed this one. But it's actually pretty good. Compared to PRINCESS AURORA or BYSTANDERS, I say this one comes out significantly ahead. If you don't like standard genre films, don't watch it -- otherwise, give it a try.

--Darcy

Don't think we have it yet... maybe in another couple of months (I presumed). But usually... it'll probably be a CB link more than anything else. Or in streaming format like YouTube, perhaps?

Edit

Hi ovette, will sure do & share anything on the movie... you too, ok? :)

• 2 months later...

Solace Limited Edition

~ Kim Ji Soo | Han Suk Kyu

sol2nu1.jpg

He seems to be the perfect groom: everyone in the neighborhood likes him, he successfully runs a pharmacy, and he's one of the nicest guys around. But In Ku (Han Suk Kyu, Forbidden Quest) hasn't been able to get married despite such excellent qualities. For most of his life, his first priority has been taking care of his mentally ill older brother, and opening himself to others seems like a burden. On the other hand we have designer Hye Ran (Kim Ji Soo), who is hunted by her deceased father's debts, molding her personality into a cold, no-trespassing barrier. When Hye Ran meets In Ku at his pharmacy, and he offers her a beer instead of the sleeping pills she asked for, the two start getting acquainted, finding they share similar problems that bar them from a normal life. Is it love at first sight? Certainly not, but just finding Solace is a good start.

Solace is one of those films that gets better and better with repeated viewings, as it focuses more on realistic trial and errors a couple-to-be goes through rather than melodramatic conventions. It is interesting to see Kim Ji Soo, who started her film career with a similar role in This Charming Girl, and Han Suk Kyu, who cemented his popularity with low-key melodramas like Christmas in August, form a partnership, especially since a star-filled cast is hardly the norm for mid-budgeted films like this. Directed by Byun Seung Wook, who was assistant director for Lee Chang Dong's Peppermint Candy, Solace was a labor of love which took five years to see the light of the day, but the film is well worth the wait.

The Limited Edition of Solace includes the following special features:

Audio Commentary with Director Byun Seung Wook, Kim Ji Soo, DP Lee In Won

Making Of Documentary

Character and Cast

Poster Shoot

Theatrical Trailer

Teaser

Expected release on March 30, 2007

Details at http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/sect...pid-1004675562/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived