[Drama 2023] Daily Dose of Sunshine,정신병동에도 아침이 와요

larus

by Lily Alice, October 17, 2023
22 3

Park Bo Young-led Daily Dose of Sunshine dropped new stills.

Daily Dose of Sunshine delves into the diverse stories of the people Da Eun (a nurse transferred from the internal medicine department) encounters in the psychiatric ward, shedding light on their world and emotional struggles.

Da Eun (Park Bo Young) starts her journey in the psychiatric ward of the Myungsin University Hospital with excitement and nervousness. But, her colleagues are curious about the reason for her transfer from a department where she worked for the past three years. 

Stepping into a new environment, Da Eun greets her patients with her signature warm smile and strives to be a nurse who understands them. However, her lack of experience brings obstacles, indicating that she has a long way to go before fully adapting to her new workplace.

WPbYbO_2f.png

Spoiler

gSMbXLrj3_dvEOzoSWXxRdBrO2oOUVmDLsOsvfYP

Supporting Da Eun is Dr. Go Yoon (Yeon Woo Jin), a proctologist who often commutes with her in the morning, and her longtime friend Song Yu Chan (Jang Dong Yoon). 

gMRM6h8RpXPRQ_uxDuW9bTP_a09pqj2QfBP4XIQj

Spoiler

OYSEHTw-hTgG_ahWhg53-SgkhMy_JtCyx2Kmpo8v

3fgIR8a1kf4A-pHQI9DqE1mWT-bGZpn-ms-UaBLE

AviYeyPV-2AksrbuaYezePPo0fkdYejg1q4m0EMl

When things get tough, she also relies on the nursing staff, including Head Nurse Hyo Jin (Lee Jung Eun), who is like a mother figure in the psychiatric ward. 

rDXtbeGO6jBYoUgtnPzS7wAvsAoXpjMaFhc8A8kb

Spoiler

cVi_xhdaGDKu056q3ru_QlNRq6RY7h_2mOT8ONVt

Director Lee Jae Gyoo aimed to shatter the misconceptions that psychiatric wards are dark and scary. To do that, he infused the series with warmth and filled it with vibrant colors, giving it a fairytale-like ambiance. The actors also shared their personal experiences and incorporated them into the project to deliver the message that mental health problems can affect anyone at any time. Director Lee Jae Gyoo said, "It's my story and my family's story too, and I believe you will get a heart-warming experience at some point". 

Daily Dose of Sunshine premiers on November 3, exclusively on Netflix. 

https://mydramalist.com/article/it-s-my-story-director-lee-park-bo-young-deliver-positive-message-through-netflix-k-drama

20231018094701_daily-dose-of-sunshine-3.Park Bo Young Gets Help Adapting To Her New Job In Psychiatric Ward In “Daily Dose Of Sunshine”

Oct 18, 2023

Netflix has released brand-new stills from its upcoming drama “Daily Dose of Sunshine”!

Based on a webtoon and the real-life experiences of a psychiatric nurse, “Daily Dose of Sunshine” tells the story of nurse Da Eun as she meets people with wounded hearts at the psychiatric ward.

Park Bo Young will play the role of Jung Da Eun, who cares deeply about her patients and experiences personal and professional growth after being transferred from internal medicine to the mental health department.

As it is uncommon for a third-year nurse to leave the ward she’s been working in and transfer to a different ward, everyone is curious about why Da Eun transferred to the psychiatric ward.

Finding herself in a new and unfamiliar environment, Da Eun tries to approach patients and listen to their burdens with a kind smile. However, she is still a little lacking and has to learn every day. During her journey, she receives encouragement from proctologist Dong Go Yun (Yeon Woo Jin) and her longtime best friend Song Yu Chan (Jang Dong Yoon). She also gradually adapts to her new job by relying on her colleagues, including Hyo Shin (Lee Jung Eun), the head nurse of the Mental Health Department at Myung Shin University Hospital, who is sometimes very strict and sometimes like a mother figure.

The colorful stories of Da Eun, the patients, caregivers, and medical staff will unfold in the psychiatric ward of Myung Shin University Hospital, where mornings start early because there are no curtains.

daily-dose-of-sunshine-1-1.jpg

daily-dose-of-sunshine-3-1.jpg

In order to break down the perception that psychiatric wards are dark and scary, director Lee Jae Gyu used bright and warm colors to give the drama a storybook feel. He also incorporated his and the actors’ own everyday experiences into the drama to send the message that mental illness can find its way to anyone at any time.

Director Lee Jae Gyu commented, “It is my story and my family’s story, and I believe that you will find it heartwarming.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1620538wpp/park-bo-young-gets-help-adapting-to-her-new-job-in-psychiatric-ward-in-daily-dose-of-sunshine

• Like 1

Spoiler

Park Bo Young Gets Help Adapting To Her New Job In Psychiatric Ward In “Daily Dose Of Sunshine”

Park Bo Young Gets Help Adapting To Her New Job In Psychiatric Ward In “Daily Dose Of Sunshine”

Netflix has released brand-new stills from its upcoming drama “Daily Dose of Sunshine”!

Based on a webtoon and the real-life experiences of a psychiatric nurse, “Daily Dose of Sunshine” tells the story of nurse Da Eun as she meets people with wounded hearts at the psychiatric ward.

Park Bo Young will play the role of Jung Da Eun, who cares deeply about her patients and experiences personal and professional growth after being transferred from internal medicine to the mental health department.

As it is uncommon for a third-year nurse to leave the ward she’s been working in and transfer to a different ward, everyone is curious about why Da Eun transferred to the psychiatric ward.

Finding herself in a new and unfamiliar environment, Da Eun tries to approach patients and listen to their burdens with a kind smile. However, she is still a little lacking and has to learn every day. During her journey, she receives encouragement from proctologist Dong Go Yun (Yeon Woo Jin) and her longtime best friend Song Yu Chan (Jang Dong Yoon). She also gradually adapts to her new job by relying on her colleagues, including Hyo Shin (Lee Jung Eun), the head nurse of the Mental Health Department at Myung Shin University Hospital, who is sometimes very strict and sometimes like a mother figure.

The colorful stories of Da Eun, the patients, caregivers, and medical staff will unfold in the psychiatric ward of Myung Shin University Hospital, where mornings start early because there are no curtains.

daily-dose-of-sunshine-1-1.jpg

daily-dose-of-sunshine-3-1.jpg

daily-dose-of-sunshine-6.jpg

Spoiler

daily-dose-of-sunshine-5.jpg

daily-dose-of-sunshine-2-1.jpg

daily-dose-of-sunshine-4.jpg

daily-dose-of-sunshine-8.jpg

In order to break down the perception that psychiatric wards are dark and scary, director Lee Jae Gyu used bright and warm colors to give the drama a storybook feel. He also incorporated his and the actors’ own everyday experiences into the drama to send the message that mental illness can find its way to anyone at any time.

Director Lee Jae Gyu commented, “It is my story and my family’s story, and I believe that you will find it heartwarming.”

“Daily Dose of Sunshine” will premiere on November 3. Check out a teaser for the drama here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1620538wpp/park-bo-young-gets-help-adapting-to-her-new-job-in-psychiatric-ward-in-daily-dose-of-sunshine

• Like 1

by Lily Alice, October 19, 2023
2 0

On October 19, Netflix unveiled the main poster and trailer for its original K-drama Daily Dose of Sunshine.

Daily Dose of Sunshine delves into the diverse stories of the people Nurse Da Eun encounters in the psychiatric ward, shedding light on their world and emotional struggles.

The main poster features the four main leads of the K-drama: Nurse Da Eun (Park Bo Young) from Myeongshin University Hospital's Department of Mental Health, Fellow Go Yoon (Yeon Woo Jin) from the Department of Colorectal Surgery, Da Eun's best friend Yu Chan (Jang Dong Yoon), and Hyo Jin (Lee Jung Eun), Head Nurse of the Psychiatric Department.

Xde21x_2f.jpg

WPQP6P_2f.png

The poster kindles curiosity about the experiences they will encounter in the psychiatric ward - a place bathed in bright sunlight, devoid of curtains - and if they will continue to smile brightly.

The trailer begins with an enchanting scene, where Da Eun's house is shown floating in the air like it's out of a fairy tale. On her first day at the psychiatric ward, Head Nurse Hyo Jin introduces her to her colleagues. 

Da Eun, handling her first patient in the psychiatric ward, prepares herself, believing she can do well. As she listens to the patients' stories and delves into their special world, Da Eun confronts unforeseen challenges, makes mistakes, experiences setbacks, feels discouraged at times, and grows through new experiences.

The trailer amplifies the anticipation for the drama as Nurse Da Eun, who navigates through life challenges day and night, yearns for a brighter morning in the psychiatric ward.

Actor Jang Dong Yoon commented that the drama provides healing through its warm theme and genre.

Yeon Woo Jin said, "Each one of us always has a mental ailment, and I think we should boldly acknowledge it and seek help from those around us", shedding light on the distinctiveness of Daily Dose of Sunshine in breaking misconceptions and prejudices.

Lee Jung Eun echoed these sentiments, asserting that the drama aims to make viewers realize that they are not alone in their challenges. 

Park Bo Young said, "This is a work that can comfort our hearts when we need it most".

https://mydramalist.com/article/park-bo-young-and-team-come-to-heal-our-hearts-in-daily-dose-of-sunshine

• Like 1

20231021092418_daily-dose-of-sunshine-2-

Watch: Park Bo Young Faces Adversities With Help From Yeon Woo Jin, Jang Dong Yoon, And Lee Jung Eun In “Daily Dose Of Sunshine”

Oct 21, 2023
by S. Nam

Netflix’s upcoming drama “Daily Dose of Sunshine” has unveiled a new poster and teaser!

Based on a webtoon and the real-life experiences of a psychiatric nurse, “Daily Dose of Sunshine” tells the story of nurse Da Eun as she meets people with wounded hearts at the psychiatric ward. Park Bo Young will play the role of Jung Da Eun, who cares deeply about her patients and experiences personal and professional growth after being transferred from internal medicine to the psychiatric department.

The newly released main poster captures Myung Shin University Hospital nurse Da Eun, proctologist Dong Go Yun (Yeon Woo Jin), Da Eun’s best friend Yu Chan (Jang Dong Yoon), and the psychiatric department’s head nurse Hyo Shin (Lee Jung Eun).

With lush green trees in the background, warm sunshine lights up the psychiatric ward where morning arrives the earliest as there are no curtains in place. Viewers are curious to see how the four will maintain their bright smiles despite facing various adversities.

daily-dose-of-sunshine.jpeg

The newly released teaser begins with Jung Da Eun telling herself, “You can do it. Let’s go,” as she gets ready to start her first day at the psychiatric department. However, not everything is smooth sailing as Jung Da Eun faces all sorts of stories through different medical professionals, patients, and their guardians.

Jung Da Eun states, “I’m not sure what I should be doing here to help them get better.” However, Dong Go Yun encourages her by saying, “You had this shine about you. That’s what I loved about you,” and Yu Chan remarks, “I can’t run from this forever, you know? You face it head on too.”

Finally, the teaser ends with the statement, “We all cross between day and night throughout our whole lives.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1621151wpp/watch-park-bo-young-faces-adversities-with-help-from-yeon-woo-jin-jang-dong-yoon-and-lee-jung-eun-in-daily-dose-of-sunshine

• Like 2

Daily Dose of Sunshine drops full trailer ahead of premiere

by missvictrix

DD6.jpg

Netflix’s latest series Daily Dose of Sunshine is coming in less than two weeks, and we have a full trailer, new poster, and stills, to get us ready. The series is an adaptation of Kim Ra-ha’s webtoon by the same name, and features the story of our heroine Park Bo-young (Doom at Your Service) as she starts working as a psych ward nurse.

While a story of psych ward patients and those trying to care for them is heavy with a capital H, the trailer (much like the first teaser) gives us reason to think that there is a story of hope, promise, and genuine caring in the midst of this difficult story.

In the drama, we’ll travel along with Jung Da-eun (Park Bo-young) as she’s transferred from internal medicine to the psychiatric ward of her hospital. As we see from the cuts in the trailer, caring for patients in this setting is entirely different than the care Da-eun is used to giving, and she struggles to adjust in learning to relate to her patients in a whole new way.

While the material can seem too poignant and heavy to watch as entertainment, the drama does seems to be taking a magical realism approach to its storytelling which I just love. As such, we see patients’ emotional states acted out on screen in front of us, like when we see dragons on the rooftop the same way a patient does. But there’s a heavier side at play, too, as Da-eun and her coworkers — Lee Jung-eun (Missing: The Other Side 2), Yeon Woo-jin (Thirty-Nine), and more — struggle in their roles.

We also see her friend Jang Dong-yoon (Oasis) giving her emotional support. She needs it, and so will any of us watching, so I hope that group hug shown in the trailer is one of many to come.

Adapted by the writers of Behind Your Touch and directed by Lee Jae-gyu (All of Us Are Dead), Daily Dose of Sunshine drops its 12 episodes on November 3 on Netflix.

DD2.jpg

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/10/daily-dose-of-sunshine-drops-full-trailer-ahead-of-premiere/

• Like 1

News bites: October 25, 2023

by tccolb

1698129259531535.jpg

Speaking of medical dramas, Netflix’s Daily Dose of Sunshine has added a new batch of stills to our prescription as we await for the premiere next week. With Park Bo-young (Doom at Your Service), Yeon Woo-jin (Thirty-Nine), Jang Dong-yoon (Oasis), and Lee Jung-eun (Missing: The Other Side 2) taking charge of our story, the series will be releasing its 12 episodes on November 3. [Xports News]

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/10/news-bites-october-25-2023/

• Like 1

9+ New K-Dramas To Watch In November 2023

Nov 1, 2023
by D. Kim

As the year gears up to come to a close, various K-dramas are now just beginning this month!

Here are some new K-dramas to check out in November:

“Daily Dose of Sunshine”

daily-dose-of-sunshine-1.jpeg

Cast: Park Bo Young, Yeon Woo Jin, Jang Dong Yoon, Lee Jung Eun, etc.

Premiere Date: November 3

Broadcast Details: all episodes released simultaneously at 4 p.m. KST on Netflix

Based on a webtoon and the real-life experiences of a psychiatric nurse, “Daily Dose of Sunshine” tells the story of nurse Jung Da Eun (Park Bo Young), who cares deeply about her patients and experiences personal and professional growth after being transferred to the psychiatric department, as she meets people with wounded hearts. Watch a teaser here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1623181wpp/9-new-k-dramas-to-watch-in-november-2023

• Like 1

Premiere Watch: Daily Dose of Sunshine

by missvictrix

image_readtop_2023_837531_16988077825685

Time slot: Friday (single drop)
Broadcaster: Netflix
Genre: Medical, human
Episode count: 12

Reasons to watch: Netflix’s next series is here, bringing the webtoon Daily Dose of Sunshine to life with Park Bo-young, Lee Jung-eun, Yeon Woo-jin, Jang Dong-yoon, and more. Giving us an inside look at caring for patients in a hospital psychiatric ward, the story follows our heroine as she adjusts to a whole new world of patient care. Promotional material for the drama has hinted at an interesting approach here, with elements of magical realism bringing the characters’ mental states and emotions to live-action life. This should be a good counterbalance to the heavier/darker side of things, and I’m hoping the drama indeed delivers the dose of daily sunshine we all need.

TL;DR: Park Bo-young tries to bring sunshine to her psych ward patients

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/11/premiere-watch-daily-dose-of-sunshine/

234518_244626_2753.jpg

https://www.mhnse.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=234518

image_readtop_2023_837364_16988056825685

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/broadcasting-service/view/2023/11/837364/

• Like 1

A modern fairy tale for adults, ‘Morning Comes Even in the Psychiatric Ward’ is coming to home theaters this fall.

image_readmed_2023_837531_16988077825685

On the morning of the November 1st, a production presentation for the Netflix series ‘Morning Comes in the Psychiatric Ward’ was held at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square in Seoul. Director Lee Jae-gyu and actors Park Bo-young, Yeon Woo-jin, Jang Dong-yoon, and Lee Jeong-eun attended.

‘Morning Comes Even in the Psychiatric Ward’, which is based on the webtoon of the same name, depicts the various stories of the world and heartbreaking people that Da-eun, a nurse who is new to working in the mental health department, encounters inside the psych ward.

Director Lee Jae-gyu, who boasted detailed directing in the Netflix series ‘Now Our School’ and the movie ‘Perfect Stranger’, and writer Lee Nam-gyu, who have built a consensus through dramas such as ‘Hip-Hope’ and ‘The Light in Your Eyes’, have teamed up.

Director Lee Jae-gyu said, “When I saw the original work, I liked the purity of the original work and the feelings that the author wanted to convey to the world. He talked about it a lot with his family and friends even before he started working on it. He thought that half of those living in modern society live with mental illness. He said, “I wanted to do a work that could convey psychological comfort to people who are struggling in harsh reality and to the people around them, and how they can become free through such things.”

He also said, “In the previous work (‘Now Our School’), there was a lot of blood and people biting each other, and it was humans who could solve the situation. While filming Morning Comes Even in the Psychiatric Ward, I felt like I was receiving mental treatment. “It was a healing time for me too,” he said.

‘Morning Comes Even in the Psychiatric Ward’ completed healing chemistry with a cast whose clear energy can be felt just by hearing their names, including Park Bo-young, Yeon Woo-jin, Jang Dong-yoon, and Lee Jeong-eun.

image_readbot_2023_837531_16988077825685

Park Bo-young takes on the role of Jeong Da-eun, a nurse who moves from internal medicine to psychiatry, and although everything is difficult and clumsy, she treats patients with sincerity and grows courageously. Yeon Woo-jin plays Dong Go-yoon, an anal surgeon with an odd personality who finds himself smiling after being healed by Da-eun's innocent appearance.

Jang Dong-yoon transforms into Song Yu-chan, Da-eun's best friend who bickers with her, but behind her bright appearance, she has a pain that no one knows about. Lee Jeong-eun takes on the role of head nurse Song Hyo-shin, who always protects the nurses at the psychiatric ward with her veteran appearance.

Park Bo-young said, “I hope the threshold for (psychiatry) will be lowered. She believes she should seek professional help when things get tough. “I thought that our drama could play a role in helping people do that easily and comfortably,” she said. “There is a part of Da-eun that resonates with me, so I thought I should do this drama with the heart to support Da-eun’s growth,” she said.

She also said, “The doctors, nurses, and teachers at Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital provided a lot of help, creating an environment where I could observe in person, and I followed them around and wrote a lot in my notes. There was one step ahead and one step behind. I don't do intravenous injections often, but there were times when I did, so I took a video of the process and sent it to me. He even came to the scene and provided advice and help to make sure there was nothing wrong. “If I look at all like a nurse, it’s thanks to the doctors and nurses at Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital,” she said, expressing her gratitude.

Yeon Woo-jin said, “I also had faith in the people here. I had faith in the actors and production crew who worked with me. I had a desire to work with director Lee Jae-gyu. I also enjoyed the previous work ‘Our School Now’. So when I read the script, I felt like I was getting a vaccine. “I was honored because I thought it was a work that could provide healing to myself,” he confessed. He then said about Park Bo-young, “She was Jeong Da-eun herself. While filming, we spent holidays and Christmas together. “We received a lot of healing from being our Santa and preparing our gifts by being our mom who cooks,” he said.

image_readbot_2023_837531_16988077825685

Jang Dong-yoon said, “I, too, liked the director and the seniors who participated together because they were people I was a big fan of and respected. I was happy to be together. I participated with an honored heart. I thought Yu-chan was also very attractive and that the subject matter itself had its own charm. “I had a desire to act while taking advantage of that charm,” he said.

Regarding Yeon Woo-jin, whom he reunited with after the drama ‘Search’, he said, “During ‘Search’, you were my father. He made no sense, but he was the father. So, he had a close relationship with me and was my favorite senior. He felt good when his senior said he would do it. I was so happy because I knew that we had chemistry. “I felt very grateful to him for acting so well in this project, like a senior or older brother,” he said.

In response, Yeon Woo-jin said of Jang Dong-yoon, “He is younger than me, but he embraced me with greater energy. There was a strong bond in the previous work, and I was grateful that they received that and embraced it. “I hope we can remain as colleagues who can do three or four projects together for a long time and grow old together,” he said.

Lee Jeong-eun said, “At a time when I was hoping that a drama about mental care would come out someday, I was moved when I heard that the director was making a work with affection for people’s mental health, even though he had worked on issues in his previous work. He said, “I chose it for the pleasure of meeting Park Bo-young once again after the drama ‘Oh My Ghostess.’”

At the same time, she said about Park Bo-young, whom she reunited with, “It’s the same as before, but I think I’m the only one who has wrinkles. While I felt like a baby during ‘Oh My Ghost’, now I feel like I’m seeing a grown actor. “I thought that this kind of person would be the main character,” he said. Park Bo-young said, “I was really reassured. I was immersed just by looking at the eyes. I was so happy just doing it with my sister. It was so much fun. “We both said it was the same,” she responded.

This work, which contains the individual emotional wounds of people inside and outside a psychiatric ward, is expected to provide warm comfort through a thoughtful story that breaks down existing prejudices.

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/broadcasting-service/view/2023/11/837531/

• Like 1

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2023] Daily Dose of Sunshine,정신병동에도 아침이 와요- Park Bo Young, Yeon Woo Jin- Friday

Director Lee returns with ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’

November 2, 2023

SOUTH KOREA (ANN/THE KOREAN HERALD) – Director Lee Jae-gyu, best known for his work on “All of Us Are Dead,” makes a triumphant return with his latest creation, “Daily Dose of Sunshine,” a Netflix original series that unfolds within the walls of a psychiatric ward.

In this heartwarming comedy series, Park Bo-young takes the lead as a compassionate nurse dedicated to her work in the psychiatric ward. She navigates the complexities of her patients and colleagues while striving to bring a little sunshine into their lives.

The cast includes Lee Jung-eun, renowned for her roles in “Parasite” and “Our Blues,” portraying a head nurse who supports Da-eun. Yeon Woo-jin stars as Dr. Go-yoon, overseeing proctologic surgery, and Jang Dong-yoon takes on the role of Yoo-chan, a close friend of Da-eun who leaves his job due to personal challenges.

Based on the novel by Lee Ra-ha, a former psychiatric nurse, this series tackles contemporary issues surrounding mental health, which has long been on Director Lee’s list.

Lee shared his vision for the series, stating, “I wanted to convey the warmth of humanity through the story and capture the purity of the author’s novel. In today’s world, where many face mental health challenges, we often struggle to discuss these issues openly. I aimed to create a drama that offers comfort to viewers.”

After his experience directing a zombie-themed drama in “All of Us Are Dead,” Lee found “Daily Dose of Sunshine” to be a therapeutic endeavor. He described it as a process of self-healing, where each episode helped mend his heart.

To ensure authenticity in portraying life in a psychiatric ward, the actors visited the Catholic University of Korea Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital, where they observed the daily routines of doctors and nurses. They even received guidance from medical professionals on set.

Lee Jung-eun believes that “Daily Dose of Sunshine” can help reduce the stigma surrounding mental illnesses in society. She encouraged people to seek help when facing difficulties, emphasizing the freedom that comes from sharing one’s struggles.

Jang Dong-yoon stressed the importance of the drama, especially during these times, as a source of courage for those battling mental health issues alone in the darkness.

Yeon Woo-jin reflected on the personal impact of the series, noting that it helped him become a better person who appreciates life and embraces his true self.

Described by the director as a heartwarming tale for modern-day adults, “Daily Dose of Sunshine” will be available for streaming on Netflix starting November 3. The series promises to be a delightful experience, much like a box of chocolates that can be savored at one’s own pace, designed with warm and inviting set designs in colors like orange and pink.

https://borneobulletin.com.bn/director-lee-returns-with-netflix-series-daily-dose-of-sunshine/

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2023] Daily Dose of Sunshine,정신병동에도 아침이 와요

Stream It Or Skip It: ‘Daily Dose Of Sunshine’ On Netflix, About A Young Nurse Who Brings A Sunny Disposition To A Hospital’s Psychiatric Ward

@joelkeller

Published Nov. 3, 2023, 4:15 p.m. ET

How often have you seen a medical procedural center on a hospital’s psychiatric department? Not often, right? A new series from South Korea takes place in that very department, with weekly cases that are presented to a positive-thinking new nurse and her colleagues.

Opening Shot: A window lights up in a house that looks like it’s floating on a cloud. A woman wakes up and puts on a video from a series called Brainfix.

The Gist: Jung Da-eun (Park Bo-young) is up early to start her first day as a nurse in the psychiatric department of Myongshin University Hospital. She’s a third-year nurse who transferred over from the internal medicine department, upon the suggestion of the head nurse of that department. Her mother tries to get her to drink a smoothie on the way out, thinking she’s not eating enough.

When she arrives, the head nurse, Song Hyo-shin (Lee Jung-eun) takes her on a tour and reminds her that lanyards and fine-tipped metal pens aren’t allowed. The rest of the nurses, including her former nursing school classmate, wonder why she transferred from internal medicine.

When the doctors do their rounds, she runs into Dr. Hwang Yeo-hwan (Chang Ryul), her tutor during nursing school; he wants to know if she transferred to the psychiatric department because of him, and she insisted she didn’t.

The first patient Da-eun takes care of is Oh Ri-na (Jung Woon-seon), who is brought in by her mother due an incident where the woman took off her clothes in public and started dancing. Her behavior is consistent with someone with bipolar disorder, but Ri-na insists she’s fine and being held against her will. For an involuntary hold, her mother forges the signature of her son-in-law, a judge, but then is sent out to get the judge to sign.

One thing that Da-eun learns is to listen to the emotions behind a patient’s words, a lesson she learns the hard way with Ri-na. Dr. Hwang helps her, along with her best friend and former roommate, Song Yoo-chan (Jang Dong-yoon), who flunked out of nursing school even though Dr. Hwang tutored him at the same time he tutored Da-eun.

DailyDoseofSunshine__101_11874401_f1-res

What Shows Will It Remind You Of? Daily Dose Of Sunshine feels a bit like Grey’s Anatomy without all the romance, crossed with a slight amount of Scrubs-esque silliness.

Our Take: Daily Dose Of Sunshine, based on the book Morning Comes To Psychiatric Wards, is about as pure a procedural as Korean dramas get. There may be some pieces of story that continue from week to week, but for the most part, Da-eun and the rest of the psychiatric department will be dealing with a new case or two per week, and Da-eun’s preternaturally sunny disposition will help her in a department that’s tough for a new nurse to navigate.

The series is supposed to be a comedy, as we see when one of the doctors, Kong Cheol-woo, (Lim Jae-hyuk), who is suffering through hemorrhoids, sees Dong Go-geun (Yeon Woo-jin), a patient who thinks he has OCD because he’s always cracking the joints on his hand. When he finally gets his ‘roids treated, he’s very surprised by the doctor who is treating him.

It’s pretty obvious that both Koong and Dong are there for comedic relief, as is Song Yoo-chan. At least Yoo-chan is there to give Da-sun some helpful advice and have some heartfelt moments with her, as the two of them have come to lean on each other over the years.

The idea, though, is that the comedic moments will be balanced by emotional and dramatic moments, like when Ri-na talks about why she hates that her mother always gives her grapes to eat as an example of how she’s let other people define who she is her entire life. Just how that balances might vary from episode to episode, but the heartfelt moments feel both earned and sincere, which helps.

Sex and Skin: We see a slight bit of nudity as Ri-na has one of her breaks where she strips down in public.

Parting Shot: At lunch, Da-sun overhears her old head nurse talk to her current head nurse; she finds out that the reason why the switch to psychiatry was recommended was that she was “too nice.”

Sleeper Star: Jang Dong-yoon’s character Song Yoo-chan has to be goofy at times, wise at others, and that’s a difficult thing to pull off.

Most Pilot-y Line: What we hope is that the patients’ mental health conditions are taken with the seriousness they deserve, as it seems that there is some talk about how Ri-na became sick, when it feels like that’s a potentially reductive way to talk about bipolar disorder.

Our Call: STREAM IT. Daily Dose Of Sunshine is a well-meaning heartfelt procedural that takes place in a part of a hospital you don’t often see portrayed on many medical series.

https://decider.com/2023/11/03/daily-dose-of-sunshine-netflix-review/

• Blob 1

Daily Dose of Sunshine: Episode 1 (First Impressions)

by Unit

With bright scrubs, vibrant hospital walls and surroundings, and a cheerful central character, Daily Dose of Sunshine is here! But make no mistake: the subject we’re dealing with here is quite heavy. Through a series of stories, we follow a psychiatric nurse as she navigates the world of mental health, and what it entails for patients, their families, the staff handling these cases, and society in general.

EPISODE 1

The drama opens with our heroine, JUNG DA-EUN (Park Bo-young), charting into unfamiliar territory on her first day as a nurse in the psychiatric ward of her hospital. And as we’ll come to learn, Da-eun made the switch to psych after the head nurse at her previous department (internal medicine) convinced her that she’ll be a better fit in psychiatry.

While the switch might have been involuntary, Da-eun is willing to put her best foot forward and learn all that there is to know about her new department. And just like Da-eun, we also pick up a few tidbits about the psychiatric ward along the way. For instance, when the head nurse SONG HYO-JIN (Lee Jung-eun) gives Da-eun a brief tour of the psych ward, she mentions how the ward was designed with the safety of suicidal patients in mind — with built-in shower heads, no knobs or locks on the doors, no curtains, etc.

And it’s not just the ward; there are rules for the staff themselves. The use of silicone pens and ID clips rather than straps, no earrings, no footwear with laces, no carrying of scissors, and a general avoidance of the use of things that patients can self-harm with.

Da-eun might be inexperienced as a psych nurse, but ready or not, it’s time to receive patients. The patient of the hour is RI-NA, who insists that she is fine despite her mom’s decision to place her under protective admission. Two guardian signatures are required to apply for protective admission, but Mom is reluctant to inform Ri-na’s husband of the situation on ground. Why? Ri-na is convinced that she’s in love with someone else. But in reality, she has been stalking the other guy up till the point of a restraining order being filed against her.

Ri-na is diagnosed with bipolar personality disorder — with symptoms including: a sudden overflow of energy, a personality switch, unusual sexual behaviors, obsession, among others. Ri-na goes from manic episodes to a depressive state, and as we go on, we see that Ri-na cracked under pressure from Mom to live the perfect life that had been laid out for her.

Da-eun wonders how a person like Ri-na could be sick despite being born with a silver spoon — a seemingly common misconception about mental health patients. But as one of the doctors tells her, mental disorders are not forged out of deprivation; neither are they prevented by abundance. We are all human, and any of us could find our minds in a weakened mental state.

Ri-na doesn’t believe that her hospitalization will change anything. But after a conversation with Da-eun and nurse Song, she learns that it’s not too late for things to change for her. The nurses are there to support her, and it’s all up to her to choose what to do with their support. This conversation gives Ri-na the push she needs to finally stand up for herself to her mom.

In a tearful confrontation with Mom, Ri-na explains that she never had a chance to be herself. From what to eat, down to the husband she married, she went along with Mom’s choices because she felt like she owed her for all the privileges she had. Mom said going along with everything meant that she’d be happy. “So, Mom… why do I hurt so much?” Ri-na asks. At 43, Ri-na has no control over her life. And sadly, the happiest memory she can think of was taking off her clothes and dancing during one of her maniac episodes. When everyone around looked at her like she was crazy, that was the first time she could properly breathe. “I am not happy when I am with you,” Ri-na concludes.

Da-eun can empathize with Ri-na’s situation because she also has a version of an overbearing mom at home. While both moms hover over their daughters’ lives seemingly out of love, a domineering expression of love can become stifling real fast. In Da-eun’s experience, she and her mom get along best when her mom supports her no matter what she does. And drawing from this experience, Da-eun cautiously advises Ri-na’s mom to support whatever it is that Ri-na wants to do. In the end, Ri-na’s mom takes baby steps to relinquish her control over Ri-na’s life, and the mother-daughter duo can finally get started on the path to healing.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/11/daily-dose-of-sunshine-episode-1-first-impressions/

Park Bo-young offers 'daily dose of sunshine' in new uplifting Netflix series

044e4c3e-32b6-4af6-b59a-49c362f4a54d.jpg

Everyone, not to mention those with mental health issues, often feels down and needs a ray of sunshine that could warm their hearts through support from people around them.

Park Bo-young wanted to convey this simple aspect of life through her nuanced performance in the Netflix drama series "Daily Dose of Sunshine."

"Everyone has struggles. I tried to show this simple fact as best as I could," the actress said during an interview with a group of reporters in Seoul on Friday.

Based on a Naver webtoon of the same name by Lee Ha-ra, the drama revolves around compassionate nurse Jung Da-eun (Park Bo-young) and her patients at a psychiatric ward who deal with various issues, ranging from paranoia to obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Before being transferred to the psychiatric ward, Da-eun worked at the internal medicine department, where she unknowingly created more work for — and thus complaints from — her fellow nurses by focusing too much on individual patients.

In her new job, she becomes the favorite of the patients in no time with her selfless, empathetic attitude toward them. Due to an unexpected, shocking event, however, she falls into a deep depression.

41aa06bc-a540-4dc6-8582-422359113870.jpg

"To be honest, I had prejudice against mental illnesses. But as the head nurse says in the drama, they can come to anyone, anytime," Park said.

"Those who are treated in a psychiatric ward should return to society one day as a member of our community. So we should treat them compassionately."

The dense, event-filled story sheds much-needed spotlight on the prevalent mental health issues in the highly competitive and fast-paced Korean society.

"There is not a single scene that I did not put my utmost effort in," she said while talking about the challenges on set.

While filming a scene where head nurse Song Hyo-jin (Lee Jung-eun of "Parasite") comes to support her in front of complaining patients, "tears just fell in big drops," which Park said was "totally unexpected."

"Before filming the scene, I had asked the director if it were OK not to cry. I did not want to appear weak."

"But tears just fell as soon as the filming started. I knew right at that moment how powerful it is to get support from people around you," Park said.

The 33-year-old actress debuted in the 2006 high school television series "Secret Campus." Nicknamed, Bbovely (Bo-young and lovely), she won the best actor award for her performance in "Concrete Utopia," Korea's entry for the 96th Academy Awards, at the London East Asia Film Festival 2023 early this month.

"The series is about hope. But rather than painting an overly hopeful future, it tells people to hang in there just a little longer as the morning comes in the end," she said. (Yonhap)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/11/398_362941.html

by Lily Alice, November 12, 2023
33 8

Note: The article may contain spoilers.

In its endeavor to enlighten people about mental health issues, Daily Dose of Sunshine weaves a tale of Jung Da Eun (Park Bo Young) and the people of the Department of Psychiatry at Myungshin University Hospital, navigating the challenges pertaining to mental well-being.

The K-drama attempts to accurately and intricately portray the battles of its characters while striking a chord of empathy with the viewers. Boasting a strong cast, including talents such as Park Bo YoungYeon Woo JinJang Dong YoonLee Jung Eunand Chang Ryul, among others, the series promises a rich and engaging portrayal of the complexities surrounding mental health.  

Here are some of the reasons why this K-drama is one of a kind.

1. A K-drama Brimming with Wisdom

qYqLPK_2f.png

Daily Dose of Sunshine imparts valuable lessons on mental health, dispelling common misconceptions and prejudices. Some of the key takeaways from the drama include:

Mental Health Problems can Affect Anyone

People often assume that those who seemingly appear to be leading perfect lives are immune to mental health challenges, while individuals facing hardships are more susceptible. The reality is quite different.

This K-drama strives to deliver the message that mental health problems can affect anyone at any point of time in life. Be it a working mom, a student, or even a medical professional, the drama portrays a realistic spectrum of experiences of ordinary people. 

Illness is No Sin

Individuals grappling with mental health problems are frequently subjected to judgment and prejudice by society, leading to exclusion from social circles and discrimination in their workplaces. Through its characters' stories, this drama dispels the societal biases that those suffering from mental health challenges are to be treated differently and should not mingle with ordinary people. 

The drama also speaks to those suffering and encourages them to shed guilt or shame and embrace their ailments because illness is no sin.

Self-Care Matters

In the hustle and bustle of life, people tend to prioritize everything else over their own well-being. The K-drama, using working mothers as an example, showed that straining oneself to perfection in every sphere of life can only drain you of your energy and lead to adverse effects in the long run. 

It accurately depicts how the flood of stress will only result in suffocation.

2. Park Bo Young and Jang Dong Yoon Being Each Other's Ride-or-Die Friends 

RBWKgo_2f.png

Jung Da Eun (Park Bo Young) and Song Yu Chan (Jang Dong Yoon) are bros forever. They share a special bond since childhood, standing by each other through life's ups and downs. 

Be it them pulling each other's legs or having each other's back at difficult times, the heart-warming moments of the duo do not fail to impress.

One particularly touching moment is when Da Eun, after coming to know of Yu Chan's panic disorder, remains calm about it and stands alongside him like a pillar of support. 

Instead of treating him like a patient, she stays her usual self - joking, teasing, and goofing around with him - helping him out of his darkness. 

The duo's friendship moments gave cozy vibes, making us wish for more.

3. Yeon Woo Jin and Chang Ryul Being Complete Goofballs

Despite the focus of the drama being heavy issues, it skillfully injects moments of comic relief. Yeon Woo Jin (who plays Proctologist Dong Go Yoon) and Chang Ryul (who plays Psychiatrist Hwang Yeo Hwan) take center stage in delivering humor throughout the series.

When Min Deu Lae (Lee Yi Dam), whom Yeo Hwan has a crush on, lies to him about seeing ghosts to drive him away, he tries to maintain his composure and be nonchalant about it but can't help being scared. He even calls his friend in the middle of the night to ask if he will come and sleep over with him. 

2wxKZw_2f.png

On the other hand, Dong Go Yoon's persistent worry about his obsession with cracking his knuckles and his cute character dynamics with Jung Da Eun effortlessly won our hearts. 

The drama skillfully incorporates these comedic interludes to brighten the mood. 

more https://mydramalist.com/article/4-things-to-love-about-netflix-k-drama-daily-dose-of-sunshine

• Like 1