The Late Choi Jin Shil 최진실 (1968-2008)

Guest bubblieri

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *alodia*

Honestly I don't really fancy Choi Jin Shil especially when she won over Kim Suna in the The 42nd Annual Baeksang Arts Awards as best actress for Rosy Life. Of course my bet then is the love of my life - Sam Soon. But I know that she deserves to win for Rosy Life. I consider her as a very very very good actress - but of course I have a bias over Kim Suna since I'm a big fan of KSA. But looking beyond my fan-girlism of course I know she's the run-away winner. But since then i had this "little" grudge against her... (especially when they used that award to promote the airing of "Rosy Life" in our country)

Though I may not adore and love her, she is on my list of my top and favorite Korean actresses and I respect her talents and I was always amazed by it.

When Suna went missing from the spotlight in the past couple of years and I found myself discovering some dramas to kill time, I discovered her "Last Scandal". I was impressed by the review of dramabeans so I decided to watch it. Still not feeling the same way as i did watching actresses I really love (ie Kim Suna, etc), but there's no doubt she is good. I only managed to watch until ep3 because Suna's new drama When It's At Night started. And after I'm done with some stuff I'm rushing right now I was planning to finish watching it (and "Who Are You?") - probably next week... but it will all be weird to watch it now...

I feel bad for her young kids...

May she rest in peace...

Guest jdcaloza

i loved her in "the last scandal".

let us not judge people who committed suicide. as pointed out earlier, since we have not committed it, we'll never know what they go through. it is easy for us to say what she should have done but then again, how would she know, we're not her neighbors. let us just pray for her kids.

this teaches a lesson for humanity -- reach out and touch someone. i guess, let us also be gentle to the celebrities we admire. this should be strongly practiced by the media. it's a very tough world, especially for them, who seem to be living inside a glass house.

aja! should anyone of you is contemplating suicide, don't hesitate to send me a message (but considering your here is an indication that you know how to amuse yourself -- hehehe), i'll give you a youtube link where you can find me singing the three-bears song. :P

Guest huangsy

Ahn Jae Wook

2008100216240014982_163409_0.jpg

Lee Duk Hwa

2008100216240014882_163409_0.jpg

Uhm Jung Hwa (is she missing PIFF?)

2008100217020389270_170403_0.jpg

Sung Jin Woo

20081002172946378e7_173520_0.jpg

Wang Young Eun

20081002172728365a4_173213_0.jpg

Choi Hwa Jung

2008100217280030882_173806_0.jpg

Park Joong Hoon

20081002174850473e7_174931_0.jpg

Lee Seung Yeon

20081002175255490b6_175406_0.jpg

Byun Jung Soo

20081002181319626e7_182111_1.jpg

Guest Happy_Day

So I'm reading past articles about how what really pressured Choi Jin Shil was that not only did she lend the money to Ahn Jae Hwan, but that she was secretly behind something called "sa chae." Anyone know what that's called in English?

Anyway, speculations how she was the one ordering gangster shark loans to keep threatening AJH, and building up the debt in huge proportions. And netizens were spreading malicious rumors that she did this to her best friends.

Because I find it odd that she went through so much in her life: growing up dirt-poor, her father leaving her family, that sex scandal with her manager to rise to fame, her messy divorce, and the fight for custody of her children. People are asking why did she commit suicide now, just because netizens were berating her about lending him money? Perhaps it's because the truth will inevitably be revealed?

Anyway, I'm just trying to get over my state of shock, and try analyzing why Korea's sweetheart did what she did.. Maybe she just had enough and was pushed over the edge. I don't know what goes on in the minds of those who are in despair.. R.I.P. CJS *tearrrrrrrrrrr*

I practically grew up with ChoiJinShil. She was THE darling of Korea in the 90s, remember Rose and Bean Sprouts and Jiltu?.. #%@#%#@%@#

Guest marienella_m

i still cant believe she's gone..i hope she finds peace where ever she is now. may God be with her children and family.. :tears:

Guest syungie

I couldn't believe this when I first heard from my mom that Choi Jin Shil had died. She couldn't believe it either and quickly told me to go online to check if this was true. This was so unexpected...I heard that she had depression...but I wish she had continued to stay strong...if not for herself...at least for her two young children. I offer my condolences to the family. I truly hope the best for her two young kids. We have lost one of the greatest actress Korea has ever seen...and she will be missed. She was the main character of the first kdrama series I remember which was Star in Your Heart. There has been so many deaths these past two years. Especially these two past months where we lost three celebrities. I hope that we do not hear anymore devastating news anymore. I wish the best for her family and I hope that she finally rests in peace because I know that she is now in a better place...

Guest beautifulfriend

So I'm reading past articles about how what really pressured Choi Jin Shil was that not only did she lend the money to Ahn Jae Hwan, but that she was secretly behind something called "sa chae." Anyone know what that's called in English?

according to naver, there are a couple of definitions:

-a personal debt[loan, obligation];private liabilities

-a company bond;a debenture

Guest kdramafeast

Till now I am still shocked over her death I just can't accept she will be gone forever :tears: She was a wonderful actress and seemed very kind. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, especially her two kids.

Guest Happy_Day

according to naver, there are a couple of definitions:

-a personal debt[loan, obligation];private liabilities

-a company bond;a debenture

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's a kind of personal debt, maybe illegal? But it's like where even if you borrow a small amount of money from someone, in just a short amount of time, that money you borrowed gets built up like CRAZY that you can't even pay it off unless you hurry. That's what happened to Ahn Jae Hwan, as most of you probably know.

But speculation is that Choi Jin Shil was secretly behind this "sa chae," which is why many people were biting her head off because Jung Sun Hee is her best friend and betrayed her? And people are like why die now after everything she's been through? Is it because she wanted to leave the world before the truth gets out?

I really cannot see Choi Jin Shil as doing this though. If this is all a malicious rumor, yet again by stupid K-netizens, I really wanna kill them myself. How many people did netizens lead to their deaths?

Guest mookie

Honestly I don't really fancy Choi Jin Shil especially when she won over Kim Suna in the The 42nd Annual Baeksang Arts Awards as best actress for Rosy Life. Of course my bet then is the love of my life - Sam Soon. But I know that she deserves to win for Rosy Life. I consider her as a very very very good actress - but of course I have a bias over Kim Suna since I'm a big fan of KSA. But looking beyond my fan-girlism of course I know she's the run-away winner. But since then i had this "little" grudge against her... (especially when they used that award to promote the airing of "Rosy Life" in our country)

Though I may not adore and love her, she is on my list of my top and favorite Korean actresses and I respect her talents and I was always amazed by it.

When Suna went missing from the spotlight in the past couple of years and I found myself discovering some dramas to kill time, I discovered her "Last Scandal". I was impressed by the review of dramabeans so I decided to watch it. Still not feeling the same way as i did watching actresses I really love (ie Kim Suna, etc), but there's no doubt she is good. I only managed to watch until ep3 because Suna's new drama When It's At Night started. And after I'm done with some stuff I'm rushing right now I was planning to finish watching it (and "Who Are You?") - probably next week... but it will all be weird to watch it now...

I feel bad for her young kids...

May she rest in peace...

Really, u can have your bias, that's fine but is this all necessary and considerate?! I like Choi Jin Shil as an actress and if you do too, y drag and compare other actresses in this sensitive a time? And she's on the list of your top and fav korean actresses?!

RIP Choi Jin Shil sshi. Thanks for all your memorable works. You are more than amazing in Rosy Life. Condolences to your family. :tears:

Guest songjc

another sad day in the Korean Entertainment Industry. Many are speculating as to why but i think it be best to just let the police investigate it and show our respect to such a wonderful actress. Her children are the ones that have to live without a mom for the rest of their lives and to me, that's the saddest part.

Condolences to the Choi Family. May God comfort them in this time of sorrow.

October 2, 2008

Choi Jin-Shil Found Dead

Posted by X at 12:25am.

PP08012200037.JPG

Sad, sad day for Korean entertainment.

The very talented Choi Jin-Shil (40) was found dead today in her house in Seoul, police treating this as suicide. Choi was recently involved in a pretty touchy situation—mostly handled by the Korean press in bulldozer fashion as they always do—after the death of fellow entertainer Ahn Jae-Hwan, who took his life a few weeks ago in similar fashion. Don’t really feel like getting into details, but let’s just say Choi and Ahn’s wife, TV mainstay Jung Seon-Hee, were close friends, and apparently lending money to a friend makes you a loan shark. Just a look at the various news that are popping up all over the various portals, and we get frankly what are some way too cruel details on the seconds and hours leading to the tragedy. Choi had a hard but successful comeback into the business after her divorce with baseball player Jo Sung-Min, and is survived by her two young daughters.

PP08012200036.JPG

It’s no secret that, despite her dubious choice of projects, I always liked Choi as an actress. She starred in some of the most enjoyable films and dramas of the 90s, like the ridiculously fun family drama 장미와 콩나물 (Roses & Beansprouts), or what’s still the best portrayal of the IMF crisis starting from the grass roots, 그대 그리고 나 (You and I). Choi, who started with a small role in the 1988 sageuk 한중록 (The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong), mixed very breezy work on TV—the first ever Korean trendy drama, 질투 (Jealousy) in 1992, with an eclectic choice of films, such as Lee Myung-Se’s 나의 사랑 나의 신부 (My Love, My Bride) or Jung Ji-Young’s fantastic 남부군 (Partisans of South Korea). She rarely strayed off the mainstream, but was always a really solid performer, even when the material wasn’t much to write home about, like her last drama 내 생애 마지막 스캔들 (The Last Scandal of My Life)—a title which suddenly makes you sad, all considered.

It’s really horrible writing these things, so I’ll just stop. All I can say is, thank you for everything, and you shall be missed. Rest in peace.

Source: naver.com via twitchfilm.net, images from edaily.co.kr

Guest c'tin tje

So sad....

I was so shock when i read the news in the morning

Because on 28th or 30th sept (i don't remember the exact date) she just left message on Shinae's cyworld.

But today she did suicide??? OMG!!! can't believe this....

May she R.I.P....

Guest jhellyn24

i still can't believe this happened.. i was so shocked...

RIP choi jin shil.... u will always be a star in my heart... we will surely miss you..,...thanks for all the memories

i read about the news this morning but didnt really want to believe it was THE Choi jin Shil i know . she was such a wonderful actress and i thought after she went through so much with her life now is a time when she can enjoy it with her children and her success in her recent works . but she was suffering from depression all along and now with groundless rumours spreading around ,she cant take the pressure.

choi jin shil si, you will be missed , rest in peace, thank you for the wonderful works you have given us.

PS: i think we shd just leave the investigation to the police and stop any speculation of what happen , because groundles rumours had indirectly been a cause of this .and i dun really think we should hurt her again with speculations.

Archived