[THE OFFICIAL] RM (알엠) / Kim Nam Joon (김남준) Thread ♪♫ ♫♪

bohmi

March 14, 2021

Comfiest Suit: RM from BTS In Louis Vuitton

Each member of the group wore (and looked great in) their own version of a suit, but RM looked the coziest in a camel-colored hoodie-slash-blazer with a cute little stuffed animal hanging from it.

KzaXRJy.jpg

Source: The Cut

Kim Ji Seok, Rap Monster, Ha Seok Jin for HERA HOMME May 2015

:fullofhearts:

IaPXkQM.jpg

Spoiler

cFQLHmH.jpg

3RJyT32.jpg

GcjT7iV.jpg

bqwctG4.jpg

Spoiler

CT1yUDj.jpg

Source (1) (2) (3)

June 2, 2015

BTS’s Rap Monster Reveals the Secret to His Flawless Skin

NAKGK9g.jpg

BTS‘s leader, Rap Monster, has been gaining attention for his clean and flawless skin. Recently, the rapper visited a HERA boutique located near Apgujeong Rodeo station in Seoul and shared some skincare insights.

He commented, “Despite the heavy stage makeup I have to wear, I think the HERA Homme Essence In Skin helps me achieve smooth skin. I like the refreshing scent and the fact that it doesn’t feel sticky on my skin. It’s really cool because I can maintain perfect skin with one product.”

It was also revealed that he went to the store in order to purchase some HERA Homme products for his fellow members. Pictures of his trip were shared through the group’s official Twitter account.

Meanwhile, Rap Monster recently participated in a photo shoot for HERA Homme alongside his “Problematic Men” co-stars Kim Ji Suk and Ha Suk Jin.

Source: Soompi

8pZ4NuW.jpg

Spoiler

BGVToqj.jpg

XW7FQ8j.jpg

ofHsWoA.jpg

NcxHKWj.jpg

haZiRk5.jpg

Spoiler

bg2sCFS.jpg

0hozzRw.jpg

VJ8WW9S.jpg

ByKq9au.jpg

Source (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

• Blob 1

March 16, 2021

RM’s phone case on this picture is from Mimidar’s Goryeo celadon Series. The phone case is based on the traditional Korean celadon ceramics.

7E7Gatb.jpg

The brand (Mimidar) thanking RM for using their product. They describe the case as “The HIT item he used”.

BMutwix.jpg

Mimidar IG Post

“Thankfully, an artist who is promoting K-POP and Korean culture around the world, is using the Goryeo celadon case of MIMIDAR. We’ve been trying to introduce Korean traditions. So we appreciated everyone that participated in MIMIDAR’s effort.. ”

Spoiler

BlCGb2o.jpg

Mimidar IG Story

“Thank you, Your Highness” 2JFmL6N.jpg

Spoiler

cusTcw6.jpg

Source/Trans (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

March 16, 2021

[SBS Star] BTS RM Shares His Honest Thoughts About the GRAMMYs Result

201530367_1280.jpg

K-pop boy group BTS' leader RM kept a positive attitude after the GRAMMYs announcement and promised fans that the group will continue to work harder for 2022.

On March 15, the seven members of BTS held a live broadcast to thank ARMYs all around the world for their love and support.

Although BTS did not get the chance to win a GRAMMY trophy this year, the members never failed to keep their positive attitude towards the result.

RM said, "Many of you may have expected that we would not get the award, and I take this as a sign for us to 'Come and get it yourself.' That's how I'm accepting it (the result)."

He added, "I saw a few news articles describing it as a 'fall through', but it's not really a fall through. It's the first time we've been nominated."

He continued, "It's the first time being nominated as a group, and holding a solo performance. Let's see the bright side here, okay?"

RM also made sure to express thanks to all the fans and his fellow members.

He said, "It's okay. Of course it would be a lie to say that we're not bummed. But still, it's amazing, right? Let's give a round of applause and pat ourselves on the back for doing something so amazing together. Let's keep on going!"

Source (1) (2)

RM's words reminds me of this story.

Spoiler
On 9/25/2020 at 9:00 PM, bohmi said:

A former trainee of Big Hit Entertainment shared a story of RM and BTS on YouTube channel (181123)

Jihoon was a trainee for about a year.

[ ... ] There is one big story. It was when I was still new as a trainee. Namjoon gathered every trainee together and he spoke in front of everyone there.

Namjoon said, “I might fail to be a BTS member, and it might be Jihoon that becomes a BTS member or another friend that could be one. We don't know who is going to become what. But when we are competing each other, let's have a competition in good faith.”

He had this kind of mindset. Have the competition, but don't be dirty and build walls in between. Help each other and be successful together by competing well.

He continued, “If we become another team rather than BTS and make debut separately, we should still support each other. Even if the debut team gets divided into two, we must make ourselves debut together. If there is anyone falling behind from practices, practice together and help them.”

He was talking about these in front of everyone. And he also said, “Don't give up but endure till the end as our best. Let's not leave because we are not good. If there is anything insufficient, practice harder and survive till we make our debut.” I remember him talking about this. [ ... ]

Source (1) (2)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bohmi said:

March 16, 2021

[SBS Star] BTS RM Shares His Honest Thoughts About the GRAMMYs Result

K-pop boy group BTS' leader RM kept a positive attitude after the GRAMMYs announcement and promised fans that the group will continue to work harder for 2022.

On March 15, the seven members of BTS held a live broadcast to thank ARMYs all around the world for their love and support.

Although BTS did not get the chance to win a GRAMMY trophy this year, the members never failed to keep their positive attitude towards the result.

RM said, "Many of you may have expected that we would not get the award, and I take this as a sign for us to 'Come and get it yourself.' That's how I'm accepting it (the result)."

He added, "I saw a few news articles describing it as a 'fall through', but it's not really a fall through. It's the first time we've been nominated."

He continued, "It's the first time being nominated as a group, and holding a solo performance. Let's see the bright side here, okay?"

RM also made sure to express thanks to all the fans and his fellow members.

He said, "It's okay. Of course it would be a lie to say that we're not bummed. But still, it's amazing, right? Let's give a round of applause and pat ourselves on the back for doing something so amazing together. Let's keep on going!"

Source (1) (2)

RM's words reminds me of this story.

Hide contents

He is such a great leader! I'm glad he is in BTS.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Love 1

March 19, 2021

20 Best Dressers - “Personal Style” by GQ Korea

‘Personal Style’ is not something you can have just by following the trend or becoming a shopping fanatic. Making your own look and pushing it forward powerfully. Twenty people here prove it.

Spoiler
  • GD (musician)
  • Kim Joo Hyuk (actor)
  • Kim C (musician)
  • Oh Hyuk (musician)
  • Park Chan Wook (film director)
  • Kang Dong Won (actor)
  • Lee Jung Jae (actor)
  • Jo Se Ho (broadcaster/comedian)
  • Cho Seong Jin (pianist)
  • Yoo Ah In (actor)
  • Bong Tae Gyu (actor)
  • Song Mino (musician)
  • Kim Nam Jin (actor)
  • RM (musician)
  • Jung Jae Hyung (musician)
  • Gong Yoo (actor)
  • Kim Young Chul (broadcaster/comedian)
  • Beenzino (musician)
  • Son Heung Min (football player)
  • Ryoo Seung Bum (actor)

RM (musician)

The keywords of RM’s look: changeable and unpredictable. He usually wears colorful and decorative looks on stage, but his usual styles include street, casual, and classic. Guerrilla, liberal too. He’s interested in fashion a lot, likes clothes, and you can see him enjoying it every time, but it doesn’t feel greedy or excessive. RM also shows the manner of dressing properly by knowing how to wear good Alden shoes with pants. The stage costumes are sexy and full of energy, while the looks on his social media are peaceful and loose. When leaving work, how a young man enjoys his daily life can be clearly seen with just a few pictures.

Source: GQ Korea

B4OWEBP.jpg

Spoiler

M1GhQuK.jpg

qfXbVM6.jpg

Spoiler

jCa2Iap.jpg

Images via @agustranda

• Like 1

March 20, 2021

RM Weverse Update

RM shared Mind Combined’s new song “Can You Understand” on Weverse. Mind Combined is a duo of singer-songwriter JINBO & producer PEEJAY. Jinbo’s worked with BTS in the past.

RzqNgSZ.jpg

On his IG story, Jinbo thanked RM for sharing the song. 2ygJ45X.jpg Thank you, RM mk3UmaG.jpg

ZHwAvgZ.jpg

One army got a reply from Jinbo on Instagram DMs.

Army: Namjoon introduced us to your song, I listened to the entire album & it’s a masterpiece, can’t wait to see more of your art in the future!
Jinbo: Thanks a ton Rana. Namjoon and I were talking about making his mixtape together several years ago. Wow plz say thank you to Namjoon. Great leader he is.
Army: Wow, I didn’t know about this! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m sure any future project with Namjoon would be more than amazing :]
Jinbo: I’m just waiting for his call ;)
Army: And yes he’s such an inspiring leader truly!
I was actually reflecting on the interview you did back in 2019 when you said working with BTS was different because they work as a unit can you please tell me more?
Jinbo: They are like family. They have good energy and nobody gets into a gossip issue or serious problem. Which I give credit to RM’s leadership.

Source (1) (2) (3)

March 20, 2021

Some excerpts from a book written by Kim Sangwook from Plan A.

Plan A is a concert production company.

fvXm6Wq.jpg

Photo Credit. as labeled

Tour ‘Love Yourself’ (Seoul)

The “Love” performance reflects the early stages of production — Namjoon said that he wanted to move around freely (like a festival perf.) and that he didn’t need special equipment. Kim said he understood Namjoon’s request after watching him walking around while performing.

Spoiler

9 K-Pop Lyrics That Unveil Witty Wordplay

BTS’s RM – “Trivia: Love”

I’m just a person, person, person
You erode all my sharp edges
You make me
Into love, love, love

RM has been known for his lyrical wits ever since the Bulletproof era, and he still amazes to this day. Perhaps one of his most popular and equally heartwarming drafts is the part where he describes how love has eroded his edges as a person. This is a reference to how “love (사랑)” and “person (사람)” are spelled the same in Korean except for the last letter in each word.

Soompi

Ending Credits

“Namjoon, I’m revealing this now but my favorite was Namjoon. I’m very lucky to have met a friend who, as a leader, is so thoughtful, considerate of others, and patient. And your Born Singer rap during WINGS (tour) final. It was the best rapping I’ve ever heard.”

Source/Trans (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

• Like 1

First Solo Mixtape, ‘RM’

March 11, 2015 (first announcement)

March 20, 2015

Rap Monster releases mixtape ‘RM’

BTS’ leader Rap Monster has released his first mixtape ‘RM’.

Rap Monster has recently shown extraordinary activities like collaborating with American G-funk legend Warren G and has releasing the new song ‘P.D.D (Please Don’t Die)’. He has also participated on MFBTY’s new album that has been released on March 19.

Rap Monster’s mixtape that has been released today consists of eleven tracks. Including the on March 14 pre-released track ‘각성 (覺醒)’ [Awakening] and the mixtape’s title track ‘Do You’, the album is made up of various kinds of tracks. Krizz Kaliko, who is part of famous American rapper Tech N9ne’s label Strange Music, participated on the track ‘RUSH’.

Tracklist:
01. 목소리 [Voice] (Produced by Slow Rabbit)
02. Do You (Original Beat By Major Lazer – Aerosol Can)
03. 각성 (覺醒) [Awakening] (Original Beat By Big K.R.I.T. – The Alarm)
04. Monster (Original Beat By J. Cole – Grown Simba)
05. 버려 [Throw It Away] (Original Beat By Chase & Status – Hypest Hype)
06. 농담 [Joke] (Original Beat By Run The Jewels – Oh My Darling)
07. God Rap (Original Beat By J. Cole – God’s Gift)
08. RUSH (Feat. Krizz Kaliko) (Produced by Pdogg)
09. Life (Original Beat By J. Dilla – Life)
10. 표류 [Adrift] (Original Beat By Drake – Lust 4 Life)
11. I Believe (Produced by Slow Rabbit)

Source (1) (2) (3) (4)

March 21, 2015

BTS’s Rap Monster Releases “Do You” Music Video and Full Tracklist for Mix Tape

Boy band BTS‘s Rap Monster has revealed the title song “Do You” for his mix tape.

In the video, Rap Monster vents out his thoughts with strong and refreshing lyrics, asking listeners not to be swayed by others and to stick to their own philosophies. Furthermore, the black-and-white music video for “Do You” is simple but classy, and appeals to the rapper’s skills.

The mix tape was not released for commercial purposes and will be distributed for free, and will not be subject to review. As such, Rap Monster’s true colors and feelings will be able to get through to the listeners without censorship.

Rap Monster’s full mix tape “RM” will be revealed at 8 p.m. KST, and will be available for free download on a hip hop website.

The mix tape will also contain “Awakening” which was released earlier on March 14, as well as the title song “Do You.” It will also contain a track featuring Krizz Kaliko and a track called “Joke” which consists of word play.

Source (1) (2) (3)

Spoiler

March 20, 2015

RAP MONSTER, mixtape ‘Do You’.. powerful lyrics that blows your mind

[OSEN] RAP MONSTER, a member of a boy group BTS revealed a music video of ‘Do You’ which is a title song of his album Mixtape at 12am of the 20th.

In the video, RAP MONSTER sang ‘Don’t tell me what to do, it’s all bullsh**’, ‘it is so nonsense to define such state like being youth is about being pain’, he expressed his thought out loud with violent lyrics. His belief on ‘follow your heart and don’t let others bring you down’ was clearly stated via the lyrics.

Also, the music video ‘Do You’ shows off its polished scenes that could only be shown via black-and-white film (indeed it is black and white film) and appeals RAP MONSTER’s unique charisma.

Mixtape is an album that made with noncommercial purpose thus the songs does not need to get reviewed separately. Thus, RAP MONSTER could have expressed his thought using harsh worlds.

RAP MONSTER’s MIXTAPE ‘RM’, the whole track is going to get revealed on the day at 8pm, and can download all 11 songs for free via Korean hip hop official site.

Mixtape includes ‘Joke’ that shows the end of world playing which is a collaboration piece with a rapper Krizz Kaliko, who belongs to a record label ‘Strange Music’ having ‘Tech N9ne’ as the head of the company. It also includes ‘Awakening’ which was pre revealed on last March 14th and the album’s title song ‘Do You’.

Source (1) (2) (3)

“RM” thread by @MoonieJoonieee

First Solo Mixtape, ‘RM’

RM released his self-titled debut mixtape tackling insecurities, doubts & created a thesis of his self-identity over the course of 11 tracks.

- Do You -

"Do You" contained the core message of the mixtape where RM advised his listeners to lead an autonomous life free from society's standards.

- Awakening -

RM confronts the polar sides of his career and self, Artist vs. Idol, and attempts to find harmony between the two on the track, "각성 (覺醒 / Awakening)".

Spoiler

Wow I watched ‘Awakening’ sincerely and I fell in love after a long time.. Indeed Namjoon is a whatever* v❤rm

*뭔들 means you’re cool whatever you do, this is a popular slang right now

Trans cr: Mary @ bts-trans

Source (1) (2) (3)

- Joke -

A response to critics of RM's rapping ability, "Joke" features his stream of consciousness lyrics writing over the beat of "Oh My Darling Don't Cry" by Run The Jewels.

When it comes to straight hip-hop, he’s (RM) probably the single best (in my opinion, of course). I always like to refer to this song (Joke), which is, in my opinion, the best rapping any Korean idol has ever done. He raps really fast while changing up his flow and rhyme patterns every two to four bars. — Dennis (kpopstups)

When evaluated only based on rap techniques, this is hands down the standout of the album. It functions as a showcase for his skills that were not overt as an idol rapper. Here, "Joke" denotes nonsensical pun rather than something funny, a stream of consciousness that goes on and on. It doesn't necessarily have a grand message, but amid the seemingly meaningless wordplay, you can occasionally spot biting punches. — Kim Youngdae (music critic)

"Joke" thread → by @MoonieJoonieee

Spoiler

March 27, 2015

Rap Monster Is a Mental Hospital Patient in “Joke” MV

Rap Monster has unleashed the music video for “Joke,” a track from his solo mixtape!

BTS‘ charismatic rapper, who revealed solo mixtape “RM” on March 20, is treating fans to a surprise with the release of the “Joke” MV. Dressed as a patient in a mental hospital, RapMon lays down sick beats and lightning raps, all the while alluding to the lyrics’ darker theme. In the closing scene, RapMon can be seen in a different costume, hinting an escape from the mental facilities.

Soompi

- Life, 표류 (Adrift), & I Believe -

The final 3 tracks on the mixtape, "Life", "표류 (Adrift)" & "I Believe" find RM examining life, death, solitude, happiness, and his trust in himself and his determination to continue forward.

Source/Thread by Genius Korea

First Solo Mixtape, ‘RM’

March 24, 2015 — Hiphopplaya [Interview]

50e7N7x.jpg

Q: Let’s talk about your mixtape, [RM]. If you can give us the concept of this mixtape?

RM: If you look at the album cover, my face is divided in black and white. I wanted to show that I was two-faced. I’m positive at some times and then negative at other times. I speak of hopes at some points and then forget about it later. You can just see it as something I made by pulling out the various rooms inside myself. I wanted to express the thought of, “There’s this many sides inside of me, but in the end, this is me, and you who’s listening to this is just you too.” I normally enjoyed India Arie’s ‘Just Do You’. It’s a song that gave a lot of comfort to me when I felt confused. I believe that the message of this song gave a lot of influence towards this mixtape. That’s why the song that represents the entire message for this mixtape is ‘Do You’.

Q: This is a solo, not a group and it’s a mixtape, not an album. Was there any specific structure you had in working on it?

RM: I tried to work on it as comfortably as I could. I tried not to have many thoughts on it. Even if there were lyrics that could start a controversy, I just went with it if it wasn’t too harsh. A BTS album is something that’s not just my own, and it needs to fit the group’s concept, which is why there are many things to think about, but since this mixtape is mine, I tried to self-examine the closest to my true self and work on it comfortably.

Q: The curses and aggressive expressions stand out.

RM: Honestly, I’m not someone who enjoys cursing. However, I believed that there was an emotion that could only be released through ‘sh**’ or ‘fu**’. So I used words like those in places that were necessary. It’s not like it was a piece of work that had to go under deliberation.

Q: How did you pick the placing for the mixtape tracks?

RM: First off, after I picked the order, I discussed it with my company. For example, when I made the 1st track, ‘Voice’, I thought that it should be the first track since I had made it. This song is the only song that talks about my past story since I was young till now. It’s also a song I made after receiving influence from seeing foreign rappers rap over a piano sound. After that, ‘Do You’, which has the main message of the mixtape, came out and I wanted to talk more affirmatively about what I wanted to say through ‘Awakening’. After that, ‘Monster’, ‘Throw Away’, ‘God Rap’ came out, and in these songs, I just wanted to ‘rap’. I made it while thinking about rap songs that are good to listen to and hmm… that made my heart beat.

Q: Are you talking about the “auditory pleasure” that can only be given through raps and not singing.

RM: That’s right. That’s it. I couldn’t express it well (laughter). And for the last song, I put in ‘I Believe’. The reason why I thought I had to put this song as the last one is because no matter how the process was before, I end up believing in myself. I wanted to wrap it up.

Q: Without even listening to your explanation, ‘Voice’ really sounds like the first track, and ‘I Believe’ really fits the last position. Was there a song that was omitted during the working process?

RM: It’s a song called ‘Dreams’. It’s a song that I made around 2 years ago, but I felt like it didn’t really fit with the mixtape concept, so I didn’t put it in. Although there were a few songs that were of the melodramatic category, I felt like it was random, so I didn’t put it in. Ah, there was also a song that had to do with money, but I didn’t put it in because I haven’t earned a large sum of money yet, and I’ve never really had desperate worries over money before, so I felt that I wouldn’t be able to grasp the thoughts of people. To be honest, when I was writing the lyrics to this song, there were times I was a bit stuck or confused in the middle, but I think it’s because I still don’t have enough worries or that I don’t have enough years of experience stack up yet.

Q: So do you think that it ended up doing well after filtering out those songs?

RM: Although I was really absorbed in it when making them… I believe that it worked out well in the end. Even though I was sad about it at first, I see it that a refined and more concentrated mixtape came out. And I can use those songs later anyways.

Q: Is there a message that you wish those who are listening to it wouldn’t miss?

RM: “You Do You, I Do I” is the catch phrase for this mixtape. What I want to say is that, “You do what you have to do, and I’ll do what I have to. But I’m like this.” The thought of, “You’re you, and I’m me” is the largest thing that’s been taking control of me lately.

Spoiler

IexVgAv.jpg

Q: There are a few songs that focused on rap techniques. For example, ‘Joke’ is like that. Could you talk about this song?

RM: ‘Joke’ is a song whose lyrics were written with a stream of consciousness. That’s why the title is called ‘Joke’ as well. There’s nothing hidden behind the lyrics. It’s 500% for the auditory pleasure of rap songs. Since the other songs have messages or emotions placed into them, I felt that it was necessary to add in a refreshing song without any thoughts. I put in a lot of what I believe are rap ‘skills’.

Q: What’s the reason in choosing ‘Run The Jewels’ as the beat for ‘Joke’?

RM: I normally enjoy Run The Jewels. There were a few songs I had recorded on the beat for Run The Jewels among the songs that weren’t placed on the mixtape. I believe that they make beats really well where the El-P is minimal, but is able to emphasize the auditory effect of raps. There were 5 song nominees to be used for ‘Joke’, but all 5 songs were Run The Jewels’ beats. I normally thought that if a chance came to me where I could show off my skills, that I would use Run The Jewels’ beats no matter what.

Q: I agree with you on your thoughts about the El-P beat. It’s a sound that burns a rapper’s fighting spirit with ‘I have to chew and eat this beat’ (laughter). If you could talk about ‘RUSH’ next, where Krizz Kaliko had participated.

RM: There was a time where we made a dance performance to Krizz Kaliko’s ‘Spaz’ last year on a year-end awards ceremony. And I don’t know how he found out about it, but that video came up on Krizz Kaliko’s Twitter. He said, “Look at these guys. They danced to my song, but it’s really cool.” I normally enjoy Krizz Kaliko’s songs, so after seeing that, I sent a message to Krizz Kaliko. I asked about working together via DM, but he answered so coolly that we should work together. So I sent him a few beats, but Krizz Kaliko picked out the one that I personally liked the most. I thought that as expected, he has good ears (laughter). In the end, he worked really hard. He first asked, “Want me to do the chorus too?”, and I don’t know how he knew, but he placed the word ‘oppa’ inside the lyrics before sending it to us. He probably knew it from ‘Gangnam Style’. And he also left one space blank during the chorus and gave the suggestion of, “Wouldn’t it be fun if you added in Korean during this part?” And for the mix, he replied, “I’m currently on tour in Mexico, but the mix isn’t really good because it’s not with the engineer that I normally work with. So, I think it would be good if you guys re-did the mix. Sorry.” Even after the work was finished, he proposed, “Since I worked on your mixtape this time, let’s officially work next time and release a track.” The next time I go to America, I really want to meet him once.

Q: Do you like Krizz Kaliko’s rap included in ‘RUSH’?

RM: OF course. I felt that he really genuinely worked on it. I also like the melody as well. The fun thing is, whenever we receive an award at some ceremony, Krizz Kaliko always sends us a congratulations mention (laughter). I think he’s slightly cute as well.

[ ... ]

Q: Are you saying that at first, you just wanted to do music and just wanted to rap?

RM: That’s right. However, when I was about to just concentrate on my studies, I received a call from Untouchable’s Sleepy hyung, and I ended up auditioning to this company through him. At first, BTS wasn’t within this kind of format. It was in the format of YG’s 1TYM, where we wouldn’t dance. That’s why I went into this group. Because they said that I would be able to rap in such a large company like this. And at that period, I also was rejected from an audition for Big Deal Records, so I was desperate. I thought that I had to do this no matter what. It was the perfect company to work out my dream in wanting to confirm my existence towards more people. However, as the group’s format switched to an idol group, I had a lot of confusion. I also felt really hopeless. However, I ended up somehow accepting it… And have come up to here.

Q: The fact that you didn’t reject it could also be seen as a ‘passive choice’, right?

RM: That’s right. I just… I think it was just fate to be like this (laughter). Honestly, I really hated dancing at first. Because I’m not good at it. I still Don’t like dancing. However, the reason why I keep staying in this company is that they said they would allow me to do my music with my lyrics and my rap, and it’s slowly becoming a reality. It’s like that for BTS’ album and in my solo works too. For example, the [RM] mixtape is really no different from just myself. I believe that the company is keeping its promise with me. I liked hip-hop, wanted to do rap, and wanted to stand on a large stage. As those three interlinked, I came up to here. If you look at it in another angle… it’s something that I chose.

Q: However, this is a world that clearly divides hip-hop between real and fake, and has a compulsion towards its purity. Criticisms will continue to exist.

RM: I completely understand. Sometimes I have that kind of critical mind to myself as well. This is because there are times where I have to do things that I don’t wish to. When I see other rappers’ lyrics of “I don’t do what I don’t like to do”, I feel like it’s really cool and there’s also an envious side to me about it. Like I said before, I understand that people have a critical mind towards my position. And receive a lot of confusion too. However, because I believe that I know about that aspect of hip-hop better than any one else, I’m trying my best in order to be the most real I can in this situation. And more than anything, I want to just have the largest amount of people possible listening to my music. This is the biggest thing to me.

[ ... ]

Q: If there’s something final you want to say?

RM: I hope that you’ll definitely listen to this mixtape. Just download and click it. Even if it’s to say bad things about it, I hope that you can listen to it at least once.

Trans cr: Yasuis @ tumblr

Read the full interview here or here

March 27, 2015 — IZE Magazine Korea [Interview]

“Anxiety, Wandering, Confusion, Loneliness. That’s Me.”

ZRaWRTe.jpg

[ ... ]  “The people who say ‘I don’t give a fu**’ are the ones who ‘do give a fu**’ the most. People who say they don’t care are the people who care the most. I was like that too.”

In the movie [Amazing Spiderman], there’s a scene where it’s said that all work is just the process of asking “who am I?” The [Amazing Spiderman] series ended without ever answering this question, but the question “who am I?” is always the beginning of creation. Both the decision to release a mixtape using the sounds of Rap Monster’s favorite artists as a foundation, and the use of a cover image in black and white, were done to answer the question of “who am I?” “I left aside all strategies and just thought about what I wanted to do.” The space between ‘I don’t give a fu**’ and ‘I do give a fu**.’ So he listened to India Arie’s ‘Just Do You’ and when the words ‘do you’ were left in his heart, he made ‘Do You.’ From the “Who will hold my hand in the moment of my failure” of ‘Awakening’ to conclusion of “So just do your own thing” in ‘Do You.’ Making a mixtape of 11 tracks in the midst of continuous schedules without rest could be considered obstinance. But the sincerity that led him to start making songs by one with his anxiety as its foundation was even greater, so he tried to find the hope at the very bottom of his anxious heart. “The mixtape is like the final fortification. No matter what people do, no one can come inside here. I’m always worrying outside these lines, but I listened to good music and made it while taking into account only the standards of myself who has always longed for music. Anyway, it’s good, isn’t it? So everything is okay.”  [ ... ]

Spoiler

Rap Monster got excited while talking about Drake, who is ‘in [his] Top 2 of musicians [he] likes the most.’ He likes Drake’s new album,  [ ... ]  “It gave me the hope that I’d be able to do vocals even though I can’t sing well. Haha. The first time I heard it, I was like, what, this song has everything? He also raps really well but I like it as music. Expressing a lot with just one song, just like a painting. I also want to do music like that.” While in the underground, he focused on good rap, but with BTS he began to think of music as a song in total, and now even while writing rap he thinks about the overall image of the song that he’s writing. Even in the songs on the mixtape that’s full of rap, the fact that he could write well-developed and dramatic formations is something that he mastered while working with an idol group and writing songs as a whole. He was anxious because of [the difference between] what he wants to do and what he has to do, and was anxious again because of others’ attention rather than doing what he wanted to do. The anxiety and wounds made him unable to stop worrying. But ironically, those worries are what ultimately made him able to take off. An idol group leader who, two years before, didn’t know who he was, is now able to declare ‘Do You.’ “Anxiety, wandering, confusion, loneliness. That’s me. Even if my team succeeds and I receive recognition as a soloist as well, a different wandering will begin. But how is that? I got it. And of course I’ll keep writing songs. I’m anxious, but I still believe in myself.”

Read the full interview here or here

Source (1) (2) (3)

First Solo Mixtape, ‘RM’

March 20, 2015

[TAKE OUT INTERVIEW] — Rap Monster

Source (1) (2) (3);  with English subtitles (1) (2)

March 16, 2015

The Reason Why BTS Rap Monster Chose to Release a Mixtape

[MBN Star] The first quarter of 2015 is a period of time when idols suddenly have solo activities. Starting with SHINee’s Jonghyun, After School’s Lizzy, Teen Top’s Niel, f(x)’s Amber and others have shown a lot of things, that are not able to be shown through group activities, with their solo albums.

The above mentioned seems to be within a similar context, but there is singer who previewed unique activities. And this is Bangtan Boys Rap Monster’s story. He’s not releasing a solo album, but a mixtape.

On the afternoon of the 11th, Rap Monster uploaded a picture to his blog titled ‘by Rap Monster’ to publicly announce the news of his first mixtape. A mixtape is a collection of existing beats where new lyrics are written, recorded, and then distributed freely.

In the picture, half of Rap Monster’s face is half-covered in black paint with him staring straight at the camera and leaving a strong impression. His company said, “The paint symbolizes as a newly-born musician and rapper.” They also said, “Along with the photo, the phrase ‘You do you, I do I’ represents the theme of the mixtape, establishing the message of ‘I’m doing my own music.’”

He could be like other idols; releasing a solo album and profiting from the music. But Rap Monster chose to release a mixtape to create a road that only belongs to his own music.

Regarding this move, Rap Monster said to MBN Star, “To hip hop musicians, a mixtape isn’t a special method. I could release a solo album but I think a mixtape would be better for me to fully express myself. Without being bound to be verified, I hope to express the original meanings of my thoughts.”

He continued, “This is a mixtape but it isn’t without an order. Just like the structure of a regular album, it’s easier to understand if you listen along to the order of the tracks. I hope through this mixtape, I’m able to receive praises such as ‘the music is very good’ and ‘it’s something worth looking forward to.’”

On the other hand, Rap Monster’s first mixtape ‘RM’ will be released on the 20th through domestic hip hop sites. He previously released his music video to ‘Awakening’ on the 13th.

Trans cr: Yoogamin @ tumblr

March 23, 2015

BTS Rap Monster: “I’m Confident That After Time, People Will Seek Out My Music”

tAvvRN5.jpg

BTS Rap Monster is full of spunk and attitude in his latest photo shoot for Ceci magazine, a result of Rap Monster’s modeling to achieve the editor’s desired “carefree boy genius” look.

The talented rapper, in the interview following the shoot, discusses his latest variety show on tvN, “Sexy Brain Generation.” “I have a fear of variety shows,” says Rap Monster. “It’s my first variety show ever, so I was really nervous. I worried if I would even be able to get out a single word in the midst of the huge presence of the cast, but whenever we got a problem to solve, I regained my confidence.”

Recently, the BTS member released a solo track featuring Warren G, called “P.D.D (Please Don’t Die),” as well as his own mixtape, called “RM.” He says, “I don’t have the audacity to say I’ve already succeeded with my first release, but I’m confident that after time, people will seek out my music. And I’m well aware that making that happen is a project laid out before me.”

Rap Monster’s full interview and pictorial can be seen in the April issue of Ceci.

Source (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

First Solo Mixtape, ‘RM’

ACHIEVEMENTS

RM debuted at No. 12 on the Billboard’s World Albums chart. (dated April 18, 2015)

uzQFmoE.jpg

The 50 Best Hip-Hop Albums of 2015 by Spin Magazine

4naLlKj.png

Spoiler

enUHuJP.jpg

The picture (cover) was taken by photographer Hasisi Park.

BTS member Rap Monster’s mixtape “RM” has received acknowledgement from the U.S. music site Spin by making its list of 50 best hip-hop albums of the year (2015).

Standing at No. 48, Rap Monster is the first and only Korean artist to have been featured on the list.

Released last March, “RM” is Rap Monster’s debut solo mixtape. Out of the 11 tracks, Spin praises the track “Life” for its “surprisingly sturdy hooks” and calls the title track “Do You” a “standout single.”

“Kim Namjoon [Rap Monster’s birth name] actually stands a chance of making a dent in the States,” Spin concludes. “Provided he sticks to doing him.”

Rap Monster 'Do You' MV shooting (BTS members supported RM)

GY1dorW.jpg

First Solo Mixtape, ‘RM’

REVIEW

April 17, 2015

Rap Monster Makes a Name with "RM"

20150416_seoulbeats_rap-monster-3-210x30

Audiences who have come across Rap Monster before are likely aware of his preoccupation with being “real.” Maintaining authenticity in an assembly-line style music industry is a problem plaguing many, if not all, idol rappers, and Rap Monster has revealed his own doubts over his contradictory identity as both a hip hop artist and leader of BTS.

His recently released mixtape RM is a musical reflection of this confusion. With a cover displaying his face divided, RM presents Rap Monster as a two-faced artist and individual.

In the same vein, the mixtape itself is divided in musical identity. The songs of RM are split as either self-reflective narratives or rap showcase. Both “Awakening” and “Do You” subscribe to the former and are the songs most representative of the mixtape and its message. “Awakening,” with its cacophony of artificial instrumentals, creates an urgency emphasized by Rap Monster’s impassioned rapping. The song is a sort of desperate declaration, revealing both determination to thrive with the title of ‘idol-rapper’ and a flash of fear for future challenges in the same breath. “Awakening” is very clearly a track where the message takes precedence, and the lyrics are delivered literally and plainly.

20150416_seoulbeats_rap-monster-4-300x15

“Do You” sends a similar message as “Awakening” of owning one’s individuality, but does it better. Rather than having the song deliver lyrics in straight lines of long breaths, Rap Monster samples a track — Major Lazer’s “Aerosol Can” — with background sound effects and overlap of lines to make “Do You” the more memorable track.

The up tempo metronome and drums set a beat that fits the confident, somewhat cheeky attitude of the verses and manufactured sound effects. Rap Monster’s delivery is more expressive and entertaining to the audience, mixing half shouts with singsongy lines and literal spitting sounds. While “Awakening” is a bold, brave personal statement to the world, “Do You” encompasses the defiant state of mind that follows the catharsis.

While these tracks are representative of the mixtape’s message, the mixtape is actually introduced with “Voice,” a bare bones track featuring a calming piano melody that contrasts beautifully with the controlled crescendos of Rap Monster’s verses. Lyrically, the song sets the stage for the mixtape as the lines descend into retrospective:

Spoiler

Yeah, even as 7 years passed, with a mic worth 50,000 won
still making my mixtape by myself in one corner of my room
some say I’m fake, okay, I admit it, my dark past

I can justify it, but I won’t, so that kind of problem won’t happen again

The following four songs, however, adopt a more unapologetic attitude as the sound shifts into harder-hitting rap territory. “Monster,” “Throw Away,” “Joke” and “God Rap” are all rap songs simply for rap’s sake, with “Joke” as the flashiest among the four. Set to Run the Jewel’s “Oh My Darling,” Rap Monster’s verses take on a ramble-like quality as he forgoes oxygen to rap without pauses through the entirety of the track. The effect is an impressive and almost overwhelming delivery, a fitting representation of his skills.

Honorary mention goes to “Monster,” as Rap Monster rides the beats of J.Cole’s “Grown Simba” with an ease that suits the song’s bravado. “Throw Away” and “God Rap” serve their functions as songs displaying rap skill, but are not nearly as memorable as the other two tracks. As the last of the four rap centered songs, “God Rap” fades into the first three tracks as it fails to bring anything new to the tracklist.

“Rush” injects some much needed mellowness after four hardcore tracks. The song is a chilled-out, car ride with the windows rolled down, and Krizz Kaliko’s feature is the clear spotlight of the song. Rap Monster’s echoey additions of “서둘러 (hurry)” interspersed throughout Krizz Kaliko’s sung verses make for a catchy chorus.

“Life” is a return to the more muted introspection found in “Voice,” as the mixtape comes down from the high of the middle tracks. “Life” is set to the J.Dilla song of the same name, though the sampled piano instrumental is actually a Miles Davis melody. The song is a somber narrative in unsober circumstances, as the light piano tune plays against the darker lyrics:

Spoiler

were we born to die, were we born to live
are we living to die, or are we dying to live
the nametag with my name on it, is that my life?

Loneliness is a theme frequently found in Rap Monster’s lyrics, and his mentions of the subject in “Life” segue easily into “Drift.” Rapping takes a backseat as the slow tempo song is sung by Rap Monster, and something about the addition of his modest vocals gives the track a more honest edge. “Drifting” is easily one of the most emotional songs of the mixtape, as the lyrics are stripped down to the most simplistic of confessions. “Drifting” describes stopping at a standstill in life, feeling paralyzed by emptiness and encumbering expectations for happiness. The repetitive chorus of “lost in life, lost in you,” laid over a sparse backing track, is made all the more haunting by Rap Monster’s melancholic tone.

RM ends on an uplifting note, however, with “I Believe.” The upbeat song serves as an ending anthem for the mixtape, and it’s a breath of fresh air following two heavier tracks. Rap Monster ropes his members in for the final portion of the song, and the resounding chorus of “Where ever I am, I will protect myself, I believe” is a defiant resolution in the face of doubt. “I Believe” does not directly resolve the heavy thoughts or worries presented in earlier tracks but instead reaffirms a desire to continue moving forward regardless.

20150416_seoulbeats_rap-monster-6-218x30

Lyrically, RM takes listeners on a roller coaster narrative of confidence and uncertainty that comes with self-discovery. While the songs speak of Rap Monster’s evolution as an artist, they also relate to the general experience of clinging to certain ideologies or categories in the desperate search for identity. RM illustrates what happens when confidence replaces the safe confinement of labels.

The mixtape is equal parts show and tell, and Rap Monster succeeds in telling a story through a variety of styles. “Throw Away” is intense rapping against an aggressive drum and bass track, while “Voice” is beautifully understated beneath an acoustic instrumental. Exploration is always a gamble, but the risks taken by Rap Monster certainly pay off in the form of a very solid solo effort, earning RM a 5/5 rating.

Written by Amy L (Seoulbeats)

:cutekitty:

First Solo Mixtape, ‘RM’

:eats:

January 5, 2016

[Album Review] Rap Monster – RM Mixtape

It didn’t take long to decide which album would take 2016’s first Album Review. We’ve been checking out the first mixtape from BTS rapper Rap Monster, RM. Rap Monster has released his mixtape in true rap mixtape fashion, for free! You can check out the entire album on Soundcloud, and download it completely legally, for no cost, from the download links we’ll include at the bottom of our review. You’ve really got no excuse to miss this one.

The mixtape opens with the track Voice, produced by Slow Rabbit, this is an intro that leaves Rap Monster’s vocals with nothing to hide behind. Accompanied only by a piano RM’s voice is laid bare, and his talent is clear, it’s the perfect way to open his mixtape.

There are three tracks on the mixtape that have previously been released by Rap Monster, Awakening featuring the beat from The Alarm by Big K.R.I.T.; Joke with its original beat coming from Run The Jewels’ Oh My Darling; and Do You. Major Lazer’s Aerosol Can is the base beat for Do You.

There’s something a little reminiscent of older, more established Korean hip hop rappers in this track, at times you could believe you’re listening to Verbal Jint. Do You is an impressive show of RM’s understanding of rhyme and rhythm, and his ability to hold a beat.

Throw Away sample’s Hypest Hype by English electronic duo Chase & Status. The big beat is accompanied by RM’s show of rap strength. His rap is punchy, and possibly the most fitting of its sample on this mixtape.

I Believe closes the mixtape, it’s another Slow Rabbit production that showcases the full talent of Rap Monster, as a rapper, singer and lyricist. It is possibly I Believe and Voice that become the highlights of this mixtape, proving that RM’s skills as a rapper are best displayed when he’s showcasing his range in full.

Rap Monster is an Idol rapper, and it’s a title worth embracing by all rappers in idol groups. After all, being an idol has encouraged and developed the versatility of artists like Rap Monster, and that can only be a good thing.

Written by LORE (unitedkpop)

March 2015

Rap Monster - RM Mixtape Review

The Mixtape is finally out. Rap Monster, leader of hip hop and pop group BTS, has released his long awaited mixtape RM. This mixtape is good. With a total of 11 songs that showcase all of Rap Monster's talents. In two songs he even attempts to sing. Let's begin the review.

Before the mixtape was released fans were treated with a taste to a solo Rap Monster with songs Awakening. The other song is Do You which is about being yourself no matter what. He also talks about how clothing doesn't make you hip hop or not. Do You is one of the more upbeat songs on the mixtape.

Now here we are at the other elements of the album. Rap Monster did what he set out to do. He made it clear that even though he is in an idol group, he can stand alongside Korea's top rappers. We even see this in his feature on MFBTY's song Bucku Bucku and his collaborative song Please Don't Die produced by hip hop legend Warren G.

We could all see his potential as a rapper and now it is here. I love this album. Not because I am a big Rap Monster fan but because it is a great Hip Hop album. In all of the song Rap Monster show cases his strong style rapping and in two his slow flow with I Believe and Life. One of my favorite songs is Rush featuring American rapper Krizz Kaliko. The song is in English. I like that Rap Monster is able to rap fluently in English. I don't know anything about Krizz Kaliko but he killed his verse. He reminds me of Twista by the way. You can bet I will be listening to him now.

RM allows us to view the brain and heart of Rap Monster. We know his ideas about Korean Hip Hop, Hip Hop in general and his ideals about idol rappers. We also can see how he feels about life and love. This is a great album by Rap Monster. out of a 10 rating scale it gets a 8. This mixtape would be better if there were more songs on it but this is great no doubt. I really like the 5th song drop because it has some rock elements to it that I can rock out to.

This is Rap Monster's first mixtape so there will be more of him in the future. Check him out now before you become the fan that came too late and everyone makes fun of you for that. The entire mixtape is on Soundcloud for free under BTS. Go take a listen and become a fan.

Written by Garser (blerdsonline)

March 30, 2015

South Korea's Rap Monster Put Strange Music on the Map & Made Me a Fan

[ ... ]  As the self-appointed Worldwide Ambassador for Hip-Hop, I'm always down for some great, international rap. Hip-hop started in a building in the Bronx and in just 40 short years has expanded to every corner of the world. I don't get to travel as much as I would like, so often hip-hop is my plane ticket. I may not always understand the lyrics, but I can feel the passion and, of course, the production. It's amazing when you connect to a song despite language and culture barriers. Still, I've never been to South Korea and I've never even had Kimchi, so I was a little worried; what was I in for? I don't know why, but I couldn't help but think of Tommy Cash. I was expecting some crazy, outrageous trap character, something crazy that would be dope, but not pure, real hip-hop.

[The writer talked about track "Life"] → Well, holy fu**ing sh**. It's awesome! No bullsh**. No "is this real?" No gimmicks, just a dude who can really spit. It's real hip-hop and it hit me right in the Seoul. I had to know more, so I ventured into the black hole that is the internet and got the scoop. Turns out Rap Monster is a member of Korean boy band, Bangtan Boys, or BTS. I hate to make this super unoriginal comparison, but they seem kind of like One Direction; not necessarily in sound but in fan obsession. When I did a Twitter search most of it was in Korean, but I gathered that they have a crazy passionate fan base. There are literally twitter accounts dedicated to 'em.  [ ... ]

[The writer talked about track "Rush"] → I wasn't blowing smoke when I said it's amazing. I've had it on repeat all week. The most amazing part is that Rap Monster doesn't sound lost or out of his league. I'm sure I'm being an ignorant American, but frankly I wasn't expecting this kind of quality. What's consistent in any Strange Music track is the power and production value; the potency. It takes a special artist to be able to fit that kind of mold, and I simply didn't expect a Korean boy band rapper to have the chops to hang, and yet here he was blowing me away. I've listened to this cut over and over and yet it still has this fresh feel to it. It made me excited to check out his new tape where he raps over beats like "Grown Simba" and some Dilla.

After a few listens I'm officially a Rap Monster fan. It took me a minute to get over the whole boy band thing, but once I did I really enjoyed what I heard. I really like the balance between rapping in Korean and rapping in English. If the project was all in Korean, I'm not sure I could have connected with him but by mixing the two languages together he provides the listener with a brand new experience; I don't feel like a passive listener. Sh** even when he's rapping in Korean, I can still feel his words. He's got a hunger and an excitement that can be felt in any language.  [ ... ]

Written by Lucas Garrison (DJBooth / Twitter)

:elated: