Drinking Cold Water....

Heyyy

Guest My Sweet September

^yeah but, that's tea. It's different then just plain water. I can understand drinking water at room temperature, but plain warm water just sounds gross to me.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea i was reading bout this the other day~~ the calories burnt from drinkin cold water aint much~~

if mah memori is correct.... u have to drink like 2+litres of ice cold water to just burn 60-70 calories..not much... might as well not eat a chocolate bar ~ haha lose more weight by doin that!

my mom's acupunturist told me that room temp water is best for you

and my mom always tells me that

when you eat oily foods and drink cold drinks..its harder for the food to go through your body

but when you drink warm water, its easier for the oily foods to go down

namsayin?

Guest SophiaSan

cold water burns off like 3 calories

but if you drink like a certain amount of water everyday for a year

you'll lose 3 pounds without changing your diet

lmao

i saw this on T.V

Guest thequondam

From chinese point of view, warm water burns more fat.

Try ginger tea, it burns fat because ginger is spicy by nature and it burns fat.

Guest xSwtnBitterx

WATER IS WATER..don't matter....whoever iniated this whole warm or cold...doesn't make sense.

H20 is always H20. In your body it will always be H20 ...it doesnt matter if its cold or warm....everything enters ur body will be completely chemically broken down, thus....inside our body the temperature is very warm anyway.

Guest KuYA II
my mom's acupunturist told me that room temp water is best for you

and my mom always tells me that

when you eat oily foods and drink cold drinks..its harder for the food to go through your body

but when you drink warm water, its easier for the oily foods to go down

namsayin?

thats why it is best to avoid oily food and sticking with bake or broiled food instead *shrugs*

anyways, cold water is still the best!!! ^_____^

i heard if you drink cold water you burn 14 calories??? i don't know if it's per cup, sip, or whatever. i don't know if it's true but i've ALWAYS drank cold water and i drink A LOT of water especially during the summer. it was like 5-10 big glasses a day. i know, it's crazy. O.O but it's better than snacking on junk food all the time! :D oh! and my face didn't have as much pimples as before! but now that school started and i don't have the time to drink so much water.. pimples came back - - worse everrrr (to me that is.. haha).

Guest xserene

Yup, it does. Because drinking cold water makes your body tempature drop down, but because of HOMEOSTASIS, haha, you try to regulate your body tempature so you get warmer, by shivering, and so the process burns calories, and stuff like that.

For anyone trying to lose weight, this question is an exciting one! If you simply want to know if your body burns calories warming up the water, the answer is yes. But if you want to know if drinking a lot of ice water can help you lose weight, or keep weight off, this "yes" needs to be qualified with some calculations.

First of all, calories are case-sensitive. There are calories and then there are Calories. Calories with a big "c" are the ones used to describe the amount of energy contained in foods. A calorie with a little "c" is defined as the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. What most people think of as a Calorie is actually a kilo-calorie: It takes one Calorie to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celsius. So when you drink a 140-Calorie can of cola, you are ingesting 140,000 calories. There is no cause for alarm, because the conversion applies across the board. When you burn 100 Calories jogging a mile, you are burning 100,000 calories.

So, considering that the definition of a calorie is based on raising the temperature of water, it is safe to say that your body burns calories when it has to raise the temperature of ice water to your body temperature. And unless your urine is coming out ice cold, your body must be raising the temperature of the water. So calories are being burned.

Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:

* The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.

* Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.

* It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.

* There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.

So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant.

But let's say you adhere to the "eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day" nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories!

Source

• 3 weeks later...

maybe after drinking cold water your body is shivering and that's probably where the extra buring calories come from? any also as someone mentioned, you need to raise the temp of the water. but i doubt you'll get thinner from drinking ice water everyday. it's so miniscule you won't really see much difference.

it's true, cold water lowers your body temperature, so in order to keep your body heated, your body metabolizes more to make energy and therefore generate heat for your body

Archived